Speaker 1: Hi, I'm John J. Murphy, and I welcome you to The Change Mastery Show with my co host, Doctor Pat. Together, we invite you to think differently about change, not as something to fear or resist, but as a powerful opportunity for growth, empowerment, joy, and life masters My vision to help millions of people shift from victimhood to leadership, from ego to spirit, and from hesitation and resistance to flow. This is an opportunity for you to get out of your own way and experience life with more courage, confidence, humility, and higher purpose. Get ready, The Change Mastery Show starts now.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, I'm doctor Pat. This is an amazing episode. And you know I've mentioned a few things along the way the past couple years because I made statements like we had COVID, then we didn't, as if COVID never happened sometimes the way we handled it. But today's show is more than that. It's when it's time to say goodbye John. First of all, John J. Murphy is going to challenge us to be mindful about our feelings about loss and to recognize that whatever you're feeling, you are asking for more. This is a conversation about what is going on. It doesn't matter what we're talking about. It could be a child leaving home, it could be a parent passing, it could be an unexpected divorce. And in my case, I have been fired from every job I've had, so it could be that too. You know, what is it about sorrow? Celebrate that? By the way, John, that's why some of us are in our own business, right, But this is how do we go through this anxiety or appreciation, sorrow or celebration, fear or opportunity. And John, thank you for doing this topic because there's so much of this and in my opinion, there's so much so depression around this and it doesn't matter what it is because people want to really downplace some quote losses or sometimes when we leave something like I don't know what it was like for you to grow up, but sometimes people grow up with you know, honey, you just better suck it up and move on, right.
Speaker 1: That's right? Yeah, Well, you know what, we were downloaded with most of our subconscious programming by the age of six, so you know, we go through life then repeating whatever we've the programs were running on, so we wont to number one, recognize that and then the whole secret to a life of flow, which is what I like to refer to it. Everything is flowing all the time. Change is always happening, and if it wasn't, we'd all be dead. So, you know, day turns into night and back in today again, the seasons change. Everything is flowing, you know, fifty trillion cells in our body flowing, each cell doing six trillion things per second. It's mind blowing when you start looking at the science, right, and so if everything is flowing and everything is cyclical not linear, what goes around comes around. It's karmic law. Then we start to look at things like loss and saying goodbye and a whole different context. Really, it's because there's almost no such thing at the spiritual level. There's no such thing at the human level. Of course, people come and go, jobs come and go. You know, you lose. I've lost loved, beloved pets. I've lost both of my parents, I've lost all of my grandparents, my kids have gone off to college. Everything's changing. So really, I think what's important about this episode is how do we process that? How do we process that? You and I did a show earlier about two sides to the same coin. Grief comes you know. And but here's the thing. How long you're going to hold on to that grief. I know people who are holding on to grief from twenty or thirty years ago. That's not healthy. So you know, feel the grief. I love this zen teaching. I use it all the time. And that is that, you know, you let the feeling in the front door, and you let it out the back door, but you don't invite it for tea. If it's a feeling like grief, let it go. Because if you don't, and you sit and have tea with it and you carry it around with you for who knows how long. Grief has a frequency and energetic frequency. Every feeling has a frequency, and I'll just reference to doctor David Hawkins in the Map of Consciousness. We've talked about that before. But when you start to realize that every feeling has a frequency and like frequencies attract like frequencies, Einstein said, this isn't philosophy, this is physics. If you match the frequency of the reality you want, you cannot help it get that reality. It can be no other way. Albert Einstein said that, So we start to think about, well, if I'm feeling grief. If I'm not careful, I'm just going to call for more and more grief into my life. Misery loves company, right. So the idea here, doctor pat is that in my experience, and I've been practicing this for a very long time, is that you recognize the human feeling, you know, the instinct to feel afraid or to feel grief. You process it and then you let it go. But one big mistake people make, and I want to caution everybody on this, is that you don't lock the front door. You don't fight it, because it just anything you resist grows stronger. So if you fight you know, sadness, sorrow, you fight any feeling like that, it's not a good idea. So process it and let it go. That's the that's the major message for the show. And here's the thing. And a lot of times we think of loss and saying goodbye to people who've died jobs that you know, we were fired from, big changes, you know, divorces I've been through too. We could talk more about that too. But saying goodbye is like, well, I had to say goodbye to yesterday. Last night I had to say goodbye. I have to say goodbye to today, tonight at midnight, it's over. And so as we learned to just let go of anything from a day, or a lousy moment during a day, or even a celebratory moment in a day, a victory, it's gone, you know so. And then other key takeaway I want people to think about today is that when you do reflect on the past, whether it's yesterday or ten years ago, how do you feel about whatever is you're thinking? Because I like to use this formula and it's helped me immensely. The formula is simply T times E equals F. What does that mean? T is thinking, It's what we're thinking. What is E? It's the emotion fueling the thought, and the F is a feeling. So it is an example. If I think I might lose my job, AI's taken over the world. That's what I'm thinking. And it's fueled by only one or two emotions, love or fear. And I'll reference a course in miracles here and actually there's only one emotion, only one, and it's capital l love unconditional say with love, fear is the resistance to that. That's what triggers fear. So when you start boiling it down to two emotions, so to speak. If I'm thinking I might lose my job and it's fueled by fear, what's the feeling anxiety, worry, stress? Huh? What if I think I might lose my job and it's fueled by love, Well, I'm going to land on my feet. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I'll get through this. Maybe it's just what I need. It's a completely different reaction or feeling. Right. So, anything we think we should examine be mindful of, we become what we dwell on, and then we have to examine the emotion triggering it, because the fear based emotion is low frequency, going back to the map of consciousness, and the love frequent. And by the way, when I say love, i'm talking capital L love where it's not conditional at all. It's sacred, it's divine, and there's no forgiveness because there's no judgment. What are you supposed to forgive if there's no judgment? Yeah, no condemnation. Right, So when you think about sacred love, there's no forgiveness because there's no condemnation. That's a really strange way to think about things now, but.
Speaker 2: It's a really important though, John, because look, you have had to say goodbye countless times and I want to talk about that. But you know what, I'm really struck by on you speaking about this. I'd never thought about this before because one of those firings was after a twenty five year career, which I pretty much look back on. But I don't know if this is your example, but I want to tell you about it, maybe you could talk about yours. I remember, as my boss is ripping my badge off of my neck because I refuse to fire somebody one short short of a thirty year pension, and I was so clear about it, and she's ripping my badge off. I had a moment of peace, and my next move wasn't anger. It was this thought, I better get on the phone and call Colombia. I wonder, because she fired me. I got the whole package and everything. Hello, I wonder if they still have my application. I mean, I didn't even that was the act. It was not even a thought, It wasn't a fear. And to this day, I still don't remember how I got from New Jersey to Columbia in forty five minutes, because it wasn't thinking. It just was happening, and I was at such a place of peace, and I wonder if that's part of the unconditional love. What have you discovered in the countless times you've had to experience this?
Speaker 1: Well? Wow, I mean I've had so many signs, difficant changes and things to say goodbye. I can go back to my childhood. I was in and out of the hospital so many times. My mother wanted to put a doctor on retainer. You know, I've had all kinds of broken bones, my foot, my knee, my hip, my ribs, my my head, concussions, my neck, you know, C seven dyssectomy. I've had basically a lot of pain, so to speak, physically, career career wise, I get fired every year essentially because I'm a consultant, and my job isn't to stay along. My job is to go in and help and make different, make a positive difference, and then leave and say goodbye. I'm saying go bye all the time. And so again, I refer to this as flow. If we ride the wave of life, we ride the waves of change, and rather than resist them, first, first of all, we age a lot slower, and uh we feel a lot better. Uh, you know, Instead of worrying about I mean, getting old, and I'm you know, I just can't do what I used to do, and you just all this negative self talk. No, you know, let's say goodbye to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, a lot of things we want to say goodbye to, like negativity, and even people who weigh us down, time to say goodbye. So in my case, you know, yeah, growing up, I had to say goodbye. Well, I thought I had to say goodbye a dream of mine, which was football, and I wanted to play at a professional level. And I, you know, I ended up running my foot through a lawnmore in high school and was told I'd never play again. And I think you've heard that story. And after you know, ten hours of surgery and a week in the hospital and all this reconstruction, I decided not to believe the doctor, and a couple of years later I was playing again. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to football just then, but then there came a time when I did have to say goodbye. But I took those skills, you know, the discipline and the strategy, the improvisation, the team building skills into my professional So I still play on Saturdays, so to speak. But not necessarily Saturdays, and not on a football field. I give keynotes, you know, and I speak to people and then guess what I have to do at the end of the keynote, say goodbye, right, move on to the next project, move on to the next assignment. So just embracing the changes, but now in my own, in my family, in my mayortal situation, I was married for twenty six years and madly in love with my wife and four wonderful children who later went off to college and now work different places around the country. And saying goodbye to that, you know, that old family living room, seeing if you will, Christmas scene or holiday scene or whatever. But you know, after twenty six years, my wife said, I don't want you anymore, you know, she wanted to go another direction. And I mean she still calls me to this day. But it was heartbreaking for me. But here's the thing, and this is a tool I share. It's an award winning book I wrote back at this time called Beyond Doubt Four Steps to Enter Piece, and I was resistant to that. Actually at the time, I think I've told you this story where in two thousand when my father passed and I had to say goodbye, and that was tough. I stopped writing for nine years. I just stopped writing, and then in two thousand and nine, I literally channeled this book. There was a sacred presence in my room insisting I write again, and I was resisting. I say no, no, no, no, I don't know what to write about it busy it persisted, and I gave in. And guess what. The four steps to interpiece were, let be, let go, let's see, and let flow. And this is right before this divorce. I'm writing this book out nowhere, and so what's let be? Essentially stop resisting so need to even write this book. I had to be present, I had to be open, and I had to let go of resistance in doubt. And when I did that, I started to see differently and then get into the flow of writing. And I wrote this book in record time. It was published and I thought, well, I guess I'm writing again, doctor pat But what I've really learned later is that, no, John, you were given a recipe for handling a very difficult period in your life. It's about to happen, and I didn't know it. So now all of a sudden, I'm served papers on a Saturday morning and she left the house and there's a tap on the door and some kid hands me an envelope and goes, good luck, dude, somebody. And a week before this, my wife was trying to get me to take her and the kids skiing out in Colorado, which we've done the prior is spring and springtime, and that meanwhile she's she's talking to a lawyer, you know, and planning a divorce. It was really mind blowing, doctor Pat. But here's the thing. What's the let be it's accept what is. You can't change what is or what was. It's it is, so you can fight it. You could say it shouldn't be that way this, you know you're wrong. I'm right all this conflict about what is, so accept it. It's like an it's like contemplative, it's neutral, it's it's it just is. I don't have to like it, but I can see it as an opportunity for improvement and accept it. So then let be is let go of the anger, the hurt, the suffering, because I was hurting, and so I had an opportunity to practice these four steps immediately, which which helped told me this this wasn't just a book to write. This was a formula, if you will, a recipe for a transformational life. Fast forward, I started to see her with more empathy and compassion, even though she and her attorney were pretty hostile. And I got into a flow state, so to speak, where life is more effortless, you're going with the flow, not against it. And fast forward, I never even got a lawyer, and we've we've found a way to settle. And I took her to court, drove her to court, and then took her out for lunch afterwards. So that's what I would call true forgiveness. And when I look back on any of the time we had together, it's positive. I'm grateful, not grieving. I feel saved, not suffered. So it's that shift in mindset about how we handle loss that makes all the difference. And this, this ring of peace, these four steps were just immensely helpful for me. This is back in twenty tens, sixteen years ago. We don't have to hate each other, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is what we're talking about now, is we're giving people the option to explore a healthy so to speak, you know, a healthy way to process good byes. And you know, some people maybe listen and say, oh, okay, that's just divorce. But we're giving them a way to process good byes period, and so that's what we want to make sure people understand. I love that you talked about the Ring of peace. Can you say that a little bit, say a little bit more about it? Because you just mentioned it and it sounded so cool to me. I would love for you to talk to our audience about what that ring a piece is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's I call it a tool, you know, and any skilled person is going to have a tool set, you know that works, and so it's a tool that we have to use to get value out of. You know, a lot of people have tools on golf clubs that sit in their garage. They never play them, or hammers and saws and screwdrivers, and you know, the tools just sit and collect us. Now, this is a tool you need to practice every single day. And the four steps I teach are not sequential. I mean they're not linear. So one, two, three, four, we're done. It's really as a it's a circular model. So we continue to do iterations of it, and the more we do, if you turn that circle this way, we ascend it. Brings our consciousness and awareness to a much higher level. So it's a tool for awakening. And the practice is in fact, I teach it in the book, which is now out, by the way, on in audio as well, so people can listen to it. I teach you.
Speaker 2: How do they get a copy of the book. Where is the book available?
Speaker 1: John, Oh, it's on audible, Spotify, it's you know, you can get through Amazon. But I teach it backwards. And the reason I do that, doctor pat is because we can all imagine and remember states of flow. So I wanted to teach it in such a way that oh, this is this is not this is way out there. I'm miserable, miserable, I can't do this. No, you've been in a state of flow before. Maybe you were dancing, maybe you were drawing pictures as a child, maybe you were writing something okay, or playing a sport, anything, playing an instrument. You get. You were in a state of timelessness. You weren't working, you were playing. So that's a big difference. You weren't in a state of resistance. You were just in a state of allowing. And so when you were we can appreciate Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I get that. Yeah, I've been in flow. Okay, well we've just proven you can't. So now what how did you get there? Let's go backwards from that. You know, ye, well you had to see it in your mind's eye. You know, it's kind of like an architect before there's a building, there's a blueprint, right, you see it before you build it. So what did you see in your mind's eye to get you into that state of flow? Did you see yourself playing beautiful music? Did you see yourself running for a touchdown? You know? Did you see yourself painting a beautiful picture? What did you see? And so vision is in growth? So what do you see in your minds? I right now people could say, well, I see the economy is a mess. I see the earth is falling apart. I see the government doesn't know what it's doing. I see people that my neighbors are you know, they're they're they're annoying me. And really, so what do you see? And if you want to get into a real, true state of flow, you have to see it? Okay, now how do you see it? When you got all this baggage and you got you've been beating up your whole life and you're carrying all this suffering around with you, and grief and hostility and anger even hatred. You just how are you supposed to see positive when you got all this junk weighing you down? Well, guess what, you got to let it go. You got to let it go. So that's the I'm working backwards now, that's the let go step. So, and how do you know what to let go of? You've got to be present and you've got to evaluate what you're feeling. What are you feeling when you think certain thoughts? That's the back to that formula. Well, if I feel upset when I think about what somebody did to me last week, Okay, first of all, you can't change that. The only thing you can change is your mind about that because it's over. So are you what are you gonna? What are you going to let your mind do keep you in a state of misery? That's when the mind is controlling you and instead of you controlling the mind. People confuse this all the time. Who's controlling who? So when somebody says something as simple as I changed my mind about that, well, who's the eye? We've talked about this too, who's the eye? Set in that that's your true self capital I I, and you know capital s self, sacred, soulful self, not the ego self. So when we start to really think about then we reverse the ring and we say so okay, so John, the formula is this, I need to just take time each day to meditate, to stop, to just contemplate, to just evaluate my feelings. And I recommend counting your blessings. You could you could have twenty nine wonderful things are going on and one lousy thing going on, and we picked the lousy one to dwell on. No, don't go there. So get in touch with your feelings. This is essentially emotional intelligence. It's a core competency and you know, self awareness. Get in touch with how you feel, get in touch with what you're doing, Get in touch with what excites you, you know, your moments of us because that triggers flow. What do you what do you just love doing? And then what's getting in your way? What? Consider that your competition, any force against you is a form of competition, an obstacle and by the way, most of those obstacles are in your own mind, They're not out there somewhere. And then you just continue to practice this. And this is where I'm going to say something that catches people off guard sometimes, and that is that your greatest adversaries, even if you call them enemies, are your greatest teachers. Wait a minute, how am I supposed to learn anything from that person? You know, they're they're they're this, or they're that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The answer is, while they're teaching you something, consider that what are they teaching. Maybe they're teaching you patience, you know, maybe they're teaching you to to back, you know, to let go a little bit and try to empathize. Everybody's got a story. Do you know their story? Do you really understand what's maybe triggering their attitude? Right? No, they're just being a jerk. Well, there's something deeper than that. You might want to look into before you start condemning, you know, and again with karmic law, you condemn anyone, you're condemning yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, John, I want to take a short break here because when we come back, I want to break it down for people and let's get some examples. I mean, you've had job loss, I've had job loss. You know, we've seen merges and acquisitions. I was part of the divestiture team that helped break up the phone company, and then I was chosen to help put back the other company, which I never saw coming. So there you go with that. But there are so many things, I mean, your stories about football. And you know, here's the thing. I was told i'd never play professional table tennis again because my knee had deteriorated. But that was by somebody that didn't see the future. And the future was and is today the technology of bone body replacements. And you know, when COVID came, I was like, OMG, I won't get my two knees replaced. And so it is about a perspective and it's about what we believe, but it's also about what you said before. I think doubt is so insidious. So what I want to do is I want to take a short break and I want to come back and I want to talk with you about the things that people are carrying, even the smaller ones that they don't think are worth addressing. Right, we're talking about move I just moved from this Seattle to New Jersey and people are like why, and you know, because they don't choose to understand why I did that. Now, did I have to say goodbye. Was there a process involved? How did it feel when we come back? How did I make that decision? Was it hard? Did I agonize? Or was it something John just talked about. When we come back, we're going to talk about those things, share some stories, share some solutions, because what John is talking about works for everything. Everything, And when we come back, I honestly I had to say goodbye to the tip of my thumb because I wasn't paying attention to cutting an apple John before we go to break? How do people find out about you? How do they follow you? Some of the videos you're doing? Where did they find all of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, LinkedIn is I'm on LinkedIn quite a bit and it's John J. Murphy Mystic And then you know, I've got a YouTube channel where you can watch the replays of the show along with a lot of others. It's author John J. Murphy on YouTube. And I have a podcast called Fearless with John up on YouTube. So there's that's one way. And then people can reach me through my website, which is Johnjmurphy dot org.
Speaker 2: When we come back. A friend of mine said, mass population of fans are grieving right now. No, not about the Knicks loss last night. It's not about that. Massive amount of people are grieving right now in one particular sport. Can you guess what it is? Let's take a short break, everybody, We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Have you ever faced a situation where you weren't quite sure how to handle it with poise, confidence and grace? Of course you have, We all have. We'll tune into the Change Master Show with me John J. Murphy together co host doctor Patt and I will introduce you to a different way to think about change, not as something to fear or resist, but as a gift. Join us the second Wednesday of every month at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Subscribe, share, and start your journey to mastery at Johnjmurphy dot org.
Speaker 3: We are all born with gifts that we are meant to use to improve the world. Join me, Vicki Todd, and Doctor Pat on Shine Delusion Shine, the radical art of Dreaming beyond boundaries each fourth Thursday at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Shine Delusion Shine is a springboard to believing, dreaming, and thinking beyond the ordinary, and a catalyst to living a more fulfilling destiny driven Life. For more information, visit vickyworld art dot com.
Speaker 1: Have you ever faced a situation where you weren't quite sure how to handle it with poise, confidence and grace? Of course you have, We all have. We'll tune into The Change Mastery Show with me John J. Murphy. Together my co host Doctor Patt, and I will introduce you to a different way to think about change, not as something to fear or resist, but as a gift. Join us the second Wednesday of every month at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Subscribe, share, and start your journey to mastery at Johnjmurphy dot org.
Speaker 3: We are all born with gifts that we are meant to use to improve the world. Join me, Vicky Tar and Doctor Pat on Shine Delusion Shine, the Radical art of Dreaming beyond boundaries, each fourth Thursday at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Shine Delusion Shine is a springboard.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, welcome back. This is the Change Mastery Show with John J. Murphy and me. And this isn't a great episode. It's when it's time to say goodbye. So John here growing up with Mama Mama Doris. So yeah, tell you about my step Mama, right, she. I mean, she is a woman that gave me the purse of your persistence to learn how to read and write. Even but Mama used to say, girls, you gotta know one to hold them and no one to hold them. Well, Mama didn't say though, she used to say that, but what she was talking about, you know, And she had a million of those expressions, you know. She said, you have to know when to let go. But she never really explained to us the emotional side of this. She didn't explain how to do it. She didn't explain the process of doing it. And I think that's what we're talking about today. But I want to also talk about in this episode how to understand these human frequencies and feelings. You know, I was stuck in my dissertation a really critical moment when I'm at the point now where I had to come up with the theory that I was going to research and I have some interesting dynamics that go on with my learning and I couldn't articulate it. So I was at a school with a guy that literally talked about flow, and I used to call him doctor me. So I went over to see him and I said, listen, me. Of course that's not his name, but I couldn't pronounce his name. I did later on, but I said, listen to me. I need some help. I'm really at a roadblock here because I have to draw this diagram for theories. I got to put these theories together. He said, in a really broken tongue. What are you doing? How are you doing it? I said, I don't know. They gave me a made me do it. He said, stop. What do you like to do? Can you draw? I said, I'd love to draw. He said, do you like to speak? I said no, I'm not good. I don't like to do. I don't want to talk about now. You'd never know that, he said, but what do you like to do? Are you create? I said, I'm highly creative. I can create things. He said, I want you to go and I want you to take a flip chart. You know a flip chart? And he said, I want you to draw out in circles images. I don't care if you use animals. He was saying, I want you to draw the relationships you want to demonstrate that work. From your experience of job loss and broken promises, that was the best thing. And people might be thinking why didn't you figure that out for yourself? Well? I didn't. And what I drew out was something that had never been studied before because the box I was being put in on the professor other side of the committee was you have to study something that was done before. But he allowed me to draw out something never studied before, which has broken promises between two people at work, not a company and a person. And I draw this tart and I brought it into my chairperson advisor, doctor Charlon Granrose. She cried and we went on to do that study together post doctorate together, we published articles together, but he was the one. Now was it flow? Was I?
Speaker 1: In that moment?
Speaker 2: All I could tell you was I was in such a state of peace. I don't remember thinking about any of that.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm not going to underplay the amount of work had to do to do that. But in life there are things we go through. There are times we go through it. Sometimes as children, our parents pooh pooh it. Sometimes our boss is pooh pooh it. How can we help people today to turn this loss into opportunity, to turn something that may be weighing them down without judgment about how big the thing is.
Speaker 1: First of all. You know what, I believe his name's pronounced that chick mahalley. But he took you into the let's see phase, so let be let go, let's see, let flow. So it gets you into a flow state of mind. He had to challenge you to examine what do you see or what do you want to see? So get a flip chart, start drawing circles. Throw some color in there if you want. But all of these steps without the others essentially neutralizes the whole model. So you know, if all you do is focus.
Speaker 2: On letting go, then what, yeah, exactly you.
Speaker 1: Want to That's why I like to think about it backwards, because he talked to you about what really brings you the greatest.
Speaker 2: Joy in life.
Speaker 1: Yes, I called it. I call these moments of bliss, and it's just a blissful state. So to me, a true success it's not about how much money you make, or what your job title is, or even what you look like. It's how do you feel. And at the highest levels of the map of consciousness, you're just below enlightenment, which is way up there our peace and joy. And so a true successful life is where I'm at peace every day, I'm just living in a state of grace. I'm joyful, I'm appreciative. Those are very high frequencies, and you don't get there when you turn on the news or you go to some sporting event and it's you come home all angry or mad, or it's just it's temporary. If your feelings are just temper, you get moments of joy and then you're back to you know, grumpiness or whatever. Or you get you know, joy when you go out and eat a big fat meal at a nice restaurant and get all dressed up and you go home and you complain about the news or whatever. That is not that's not what I would call a true life of the life we're meant to live. You know, we're blessed from day one when we're born. We're blessed when we're conceived. We're sacred beings. We're spiritual beings in a temporary human form. And so this is when I talk about challenging assumptions, even the assumption that we die. Okay, oh we don't. Actually, you know, we leave this human skin and we move on to where we came from. It's cyclical, it's not linear. And when you start to really dig into this and you look at the science behind it. You know. I was recently at an event with Danny and Brinkley. Danny has been clinically dead three times now, wrote the best seller Saved by the Light. It's an absolutely remarkable story and I need a more Jammy. Her story is phenomenal. Evan Alexander. These are people that were essentially gone and came back to tell us, to teach us, to share with us what goes on when the body does shut down. And so I that right there challenges a paradigm that everybody, practically everybody. A lot of people think that, you know, hey, we got one life to live and that's it. Then we hear songs you know that I love YouTube, by the way, but you hear songs like I can't live with or without? You figure that out. You're alive right now, aren't you? Are you with the without? It's it's romance, you know, it's drama. But if you really want to live, if your vision is a life of peace and joy, where you bring that to other people, they just like being around you because you're you're just amazing, actually, and you have the potential to be People are attracted to that. How do you get there? First of all, you visualize it and you program it, which means you deprogram, you deleat a whole lot of stuff. Maybe you grew up with say goodbye to that. I mean, I think you could actually make a list of ten things right now to say goodbye to. Yeah, So a practical way to do to let go. There's let go phase. Take inventory. In the let be phase, be present, take take an hour to just think and contemplate. What are ten things I could let go of? Ten feelings, ten attachments. Here's the thing. You're never going to live without fear if you're attached to something that has value to you that you have no control over. So wait a minute. If I attach myself to another person, I attach myself to a job, or an identity, or a house, anything that's temporary, and anything I have no control over, I live in perpetual fear of losing it. So is that how you want to live your life? Afraid? Well, John, are you saying there's an alternative to that? Isn't everybody afraid? No? No? What are you afraid of?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: You know the sky might fall. Well, that's a projection of something negative. And I don't believe that. I don't think the sky's going to fall, all right. So the way we're afraid, it's because we're projecting something's going to go wrong. It's a projection, it's an assumption. Why don't you change that, let go of that belief. And I think if people sat down and they said, what are ten things right now weighing me down? Could be the name of a person that you're holding a grudge against. Okay, probably got ten of those, you know, Or maybe it's, yeah, maybe it's somebody that it's time to say goodbye. You know. I just I'm not comfortable being around this person anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boy, No, I.
Speaker 1: Don't like my job. So maybe I should start thinking about saying about it that, okay, Or could be a habit that's weighing you down, you know what, Maybe I should say about it that. So I think if you just if you want to be practical, and I've said goodbye, doctor pat to so many things, you know, during the yeah, the two thousand and nine recessions.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that for a minute, shall we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So think about this now as a by the way, we can talk COVID too after that. But as a independent consultant. When when the recession hit, contracts dried up. Companies went on you know, into paralysis. Trainers and consultants were easily dismissed. And I got hit at the same time with the new as my wife wanted to leave a lot to let go of. And I'm living in a gorgeous, you know, eight thousand square foot waterfront home and a beautiful lifestyle, traveling the world, teaching, I mean things, just it was like amazing. And you know, the recession hit and that was rough, and then the worse and all that, but I was technically bankrupt at that point. We had to sell this house for less than we bought it eleven years earlier, and I put hundreds of thousands of dollars into it. It's a beautiful home and sold it for less than we bought it because of this dramatic recession and the money that we lost in the markets, things like that, and then the divorce. So I went from living in a seven thousand square foot home to eight thousand square foot home to an apartment with no furniture, but no furniture. But I want to tell this story too, and I think you've I've told it to you before is you know, I was being attacked in a sense over this divorce and my wife had some serious addictions, and so I've got financial papers all over the living room floor. There's like no furniture. So I'm, you know, I'm trying to figure out how to get through this. And I just stopped and I put some music on and I lit a candle that I had, and I cranked down some good music and I just started to dance. I love dancing. I get into floating. I love dancing. And then my phone rings and it's my older sister. She's calling to check on me, and you know, how are you doing? She's been through two divorces And she said what are you doing? And I said, I'm dancing. You're dancing. Who are you dancing with? I said me?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: And she said something I'll never forget. She said, I wish I could do that, and I said, you can't. Oh no I can't. No, No I can't, No I can't. But that's the root cause to most people suffering is it's belief. You know, it's belief. So challenge your beliefs and and take ownership for your feelings. You can change them. People say, oh, no, I just feel this way. I have no control over it. What you do, Okay, you have the power of decision and the power to change the channel, and you can do it in a second. You can shift your thoughts from this person who upsets you to thoughts of bliss, something that you love. And when you do that, the moment you do that, your frequency changes. And this is measurable. I've trained under the Institute of Heartmath for years a quick coherence technique and the m wave in the Inner Balance app which you can put on your phone. It measures your frequencies and the minute you change your thought from something negative to positive or positive the negative, it reads to your heart coherence, which is the vibe you're putting out magnetically reads it in an instant and then whatever that vibe is, to quote Einstein again, you're drawing in asking for more of whatever you feel. So pay attention to what you feel, examine what you're thinking to feel that way, huh, and then take ownership for the decisions and the thoughts you choose to think. It's all about choice, and we talked choice in consequence to the last show. Yeah, there's a consequence to every choice, and every thought is a choice. And if you want to play victim and say, oh it's you know, I'm just the victim of my parents the way they raised me, or the school system or the economy. I mean I'm a victim of my wife who left me. I've just got this victim consciousness. Guess what you're just asking for more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, John, I want to ask you about something because it came up in a previous show by a caller and they said, can you talk about the stigma of bankruptcy. Now, we don't have enough time to do a whole show on that, but what we're talking about our people that had to make a conscious decision to let go of nine times out of tend something they loved, and the stigma around it, which never was intended for that. It was it was intended for people to get a fresh start. But you know, she was saying, I have a friend who really is holding on to a company that went under during COVID And she said, look, I'm trying to support him, but I don't know how because he keeps getting more loans, pouring more money into it, and the company is not really going to make it. And there are situations in life when you have that, when you've started your dream. And you and I are entrepreneurs. We know this. We know what it's like to have to say good bye to with business and start a new one. Maybe, but this really hit my heart because I actually didn't know what to say, but I said, please listen to this show today right which she is doing. We have not even come close to address what people went through during COVID. We clearly shut the door on the financial business from nine to ten. We didn't even address that. Nobody even talked about it. And we're kind of falling in the same thank here with people that tried to recover and they did their best, but the old ways weren't working anymore. And letting go seems to be one of the most difficult things that I believe entrepreneurs and business people are going through right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think there's a couple of things that you might consider letting go of. In this case, I was technically bankrupt. I never filed, and I did pay back all of my debt. But I have siblings who did filed for bankruptcy, friends people like that, and in their case it was it was probably the best choice. I never really thought about a stigmatism to it, but I suppose there is. You know, they you know, get alone. Yeah, you know if you ever filed bankruptcy before things like that, I never did because I just had this deep, deep, deep conviction that I will pay back everything I ever borrow. And that's just that's so that it gets to belief. If you're if you're living your life in fear, you're asking for trouble. Okay, if you fear bankruptcy, you're probably going bankrupt. That vibe is going to call it is and I never I never feared it. I just changed the channel. I'm not going to think about bankruptcy. I'm not going to focus on it because the minute I focus on it, I'm drawing it in. Why would I do that. I'm going to focus on growth. I'm gonna during these periods of nothing and I wasn't out consulting. What was I going to focus on. I'll write a book that's positive, that's creative, that's flow. I'm not going to sit here and watch the phone and wait till it rings. Now. So every moment of every day, we have a choice to think about something positive or something negative. Something inspiring in spirit or something fearful, Okay. And the thing is is that when you look at the ego thought system, which drives just about every human being on the planet until they realize they're not the ego, it's fear based, and it's dualistic. It's us and them and right and wrong and good and bad, and it's stigmatisms things like that. And we grow up with it in sports, we grow up with it in politics. It's dualistic. Everything is dualistic. Well, at a spiritual level, it's not. Everything is atoned, it's at one. So when you start thinking about what do I'm thinking what I'm thinking about, I'm not going to think about bankruptcy. I mean, COVID just shut me down completely from travel, from consulting. What did I do? I learned how to do things online, So I'm going to develop and design some online courses. I now have an online AI twin, if you can believe that, So I have it. I have an AI twin. It's downloaded with forty years of my work, books, hundreds of articles, hundreds of videos, all of these chains, mastery shows are in my bot and and so people all over the world have twenty four to seven access to my coaching and my teaching, my training, and it's available in multiple languages. It's incredible. And I have conversations with my bot every week just to challenge it and feed it with more case studies, if you will. So the other thing docupat I'll say this is, you know, yesterday I celebrated thirty eight years since starting my company. Thirty eight years. Lots of ups and downs, lots of things I had to let go of along the way and say goodbye to. But I've done that, I think quite well. I've said goodbye to each passing day, each passing year, all the ups and the downs, to focus on the only time that ever really matters, which is what I call the eternal now, always now. And so how do I feel in the now all the time? And if my feeling in the now is agitated, worrisome, angry, grief, apathy, I mean those low frequencies, Instantly, I catch myself and it's like, John, that's not you. That's the ego. It's weighing you down. That's the ego, okay, and you need to let that go. It's not you. You're in charge, not the ego. The ego is essentially the mind controlling you, the habitual mind. So let be long enough to understand that and be aware, be awake, let go of anything that's weighing down. You have the power of choice, and when you do that, you're going to see things very different. You're not going to see bankruptcy. You're not going to see doom and gloom. You're not going to see what everybody else is complaining about. You're going to see opportunity. You and I've talked about opportunity. Oh my god, potential.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, because each of us have it. John, this was a very very powerful what a great and thank you for addressing that. From my friend who's watching it, this was a great episode. I want to say to the audience, if you have missed any part of this, please go back now. People want to know how do I get a hold of the videos you've done, and then I'd love to know your closing message.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm easy to find. In fact, my website's being completely redone right now and I'm offering a free ebook as soon as the news site's up and running. It's John J. Murphy dot org. And like I say, I hang out on LinkedIn a lot John J. Murphy Mystic and my YouTube channel has over three hundred and fifty videos of lots of tips. We've talked about nutrition and health and aging gracefully and leadership and team building. I mean, I've got a huge body of work in that space, so definitely check that out and connect with me. I just say to people, connect with me. I'm a giver, doctor pat That's another important thing I'd like to close with as a message is there's given, there's take. Always give first. There are a lot of takers in life. There are people out pushing and selling and trying to you know, I get hit with dozens of people trying to sell me stuff every day, and they haven't learned that it's not a bad idea to start by with building trust, building a relationship, building credibility, because they're just shooting themselves in the foot, you know, stop pushing and start pulling. And so it's important, I think for anybody to realize that at the end of the day, it's about building healthy relationships. Change mastery is about recognizing everything is changing all the time. Don't attach you any your happiness to anything temporary, which is just about everything all right, and you're never alone. So what's guided me is I'm deeply spiritual. I read from the Doubta Ching every morning. I've studied every day, of course, in Miracles for seventeen years now. I study the teachings of the Buddha. And the most important thing I do, Doctor pat is I apply it. It's not theory for me. It's not Oh that's nice to read about forgiveness and then start condemning things. Oh, you have to practice it. So like the Ring of Peace, it's a tool. Put it to use and then observe just how powerful it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John, thank you so much for this. And I know my friend is grateful. I just got a text message from her, and I can't thank you enough. These shows are very powerful, And thank you for doing the work you're doing because you do help us live a life full out and you do help us understand that spirituality is the essence of so much I know. For me, it is thank you so much. Yeah for the audience out there, Like John said, he has lots of information available. So make a decision. You have a choice. You have a choice. What will you be grateful about today? I'm grateful for John J. Murphy and all of you. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to The Change Master Show with John J. Murphy. An opportunity to uncover, explore, and experience the path of transformation and illumination. Join Doctor pat Me on the second Wednesday of every month at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio. Never miss an episode, Subscribe, like and share with your friends, connect with me on social media, and for questions, comments, or to explore my books and services, visit Johnjmurphy dot org. Until next time, be the change you want to see in the world.