Speaker 1: Standing up or sitting down during a concert. Now, we talked about this. It comes up once in a while if you go to a concert and you always stand up during the first opening song or two, and then you kind of sit down, you know me. Depending on the concert. I mean, if you're at the let's say, the Blink one eighty two concert or the Usher concert, you might stand up a little bit longer because then.
Speaker 2: You're going to sit down.
Speaker 1: You're gonna sit down. Yeah. And artists, you know, they One thing that I know about artists is they don't like to load the front two rows or the front section with rich people because rich people usually are older, they're tired, they've been jaded, they don't want to sit, they don't want to stand up because you know, Peter and Marge have bad knees. They so rich people. The artists don't like rich people.
Speaker 2: In the front in the front, yeah, because rich people.
Speaker 1: Are usually the ones who can get the tickets. So my favorite story is the Paul McCartney concert. Susan and I paid a lot of money to be in the front row, and we were not really in the We were technically in the front row, but way off to the side. We might as well been like forty rows backs, sure, because we had to crane our next to see Paul McCartney. But in the front of him, we're all empty seats. That his people went up into the cheap seats and got young, energetic, fun people to sit in the front even though they didn't pay for front row tickets. Tina was one of those people that we used to work on a show and Tina had like third level nosebleed seats, but Tina got to sit for her eighty seven dollars tickets, got to sit in like row number two.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a good life lesson in general, Like if you're in public and Europe, maybe at a concert or any kind of public attraction, be excited to be there because you never know when you're going to get upgraded.
Speaker 3: Seriously, it's so true because I also when I worked at the Timberwolves, people would always be like, how can I get on the court to do a game? Blah blah blah blah, And you're always we were always looking for people who were energetic and enthusiastic. You know, if you come up to me and be like, hey, can I get on the court for something?
Speaker 2: I'm not having you on the court. We're now on someone who's super super jazz. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also Tina's the queen of getting upgrades, I think because I went with her to justin Timberlake and we already had floor seats, but then someone came up to us and literally brought us into the side section that had like a bar and was.
Speaker 2: Lit right next to the stage. Nice Like.
Speaker 3: I was like, whoa, she's got that air about her ash. Yeah, guys, you gotta go to concerts with Tina.
Speaker 2: I mean, not as cool for me, but I have gone to Harry Potter World in Universal a handful of times, and the two times that I was in the wand Shop, I got picked both times to have the wand Choosing experience just from being an adult person that was excited to be there. That's the only reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my one experience I was all. I was at Universal, and this was many years ago. We were down there and about to go on the Alfred Hitchcock Psycho attraction, and they I was screwing around with Patty Eberts and we were making jokes and having a good time and laughing, and they must have thought that I was like wonderfully energetic. So they chose me as the volunteer that I would get into the shower with the killer and then I would disappear. It was a magic trick that I didn't have to do anything except follow their lead, and because I was energetic and happy. Well do you think about like on Prices right, Yeah, the ones who get called up to contestant row, they're always jumping and silly, and they have a crazy shirt on and they're happy and they're glad to be there. And a lot of the time, I'll be honest with you, with radio stations, if you know, if we take cold her number ten, we take called her number ten, and a lot of the time it's Brad from Hopkins who's got no energy whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I win.
Speaker 1: But if we have a choice, we're gonna play like a game on the show, like the match game, or we're gonna play password or something. We'll go through the phone calls and we'll try to find somebody who's good on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or who's excited to be here and who really wants technical right.
Speaker 1: Who really wants tickets. Because the best thing ever is like when they're like, oh my god, I won pink tickets or whatever, and the worst thing is like, hey, you want one thousand dollars. I remember years ago, when I was new in radio, we would go out randomly and it was like the ninety six Rock money Man or something like that, and you'd go with one hundred dollars bill and you would find somebody who is, you know, happy looking, and you would say Hi. It's something like, hey, what's your favorite radio station? And if you said ninety six rock or whatever, you would get one hundred dollars. So I found this woman and her daughter walking around at the Citadel Mall in Colorado Springs, and they seemed happy and joyful. So I stopped and I said, Hi, what's your favorite radio station? Ninety six Rock? And I'm like, okay, great, you in one hundred dollars and I'm recording them to play on the radio. So I got the reporter out and I'm like, god, you got one hundred dollars and they're like thanks, and I'm like, my good.
Speaker 2: God, truly you just won money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and back back then, especially, one hundred dollars was like four hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, iiez probably the worst winner when I won the grand prize of the big Halloween contest on our radio station, which was to Disney World. Because I was so nervous, like they called me, because you'd enter in you put like a slip in a bucket whenever, yeah, told you. And I was just so nervous the night even hung up accidentally because it was all it was on a landline phone, and I hung up and they luckily they had my number, so so they.
Speaker 2: Called me back, and I was like, I just lost my trip because I hung my house like an idiot.
Speaker 3: But I was probably the worst winner because I was just as shy. I was eight years old, so I was a shy young kid. And yeah, I remember being excited, but I also remember being like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And you had to talk on the phone to adults.
Speaker 1: Terrifying quick stories. Not really, it's a little bit about radio station contest. But so here's what happened. When I was a kid. My brother and I used to listen every morning to the radio while we got ready for school. And I was probably five and he was probably ten, and we used to listen to they called it the minute Mystery, where it'd be like, okay, mister Smith was murdered in his office and the suspects are blah blah and blah blah, and here's the evidence. And it was like a minute long. Yeah, and you would call in if you knew the answer. My brother would try. He was very smart. He would try every morning to call in. He never got through. He finally got through. They put him on the radio and they're like, Okay, who's solved them? What's the solution And he's like, mister Johnson did it with an X or whatever. And they go how old are you? And he's like ten and they said, oh, I'm sorry, you got to be at least twelve to win this contest. And I remember him and it really it really upset my brother because he'd been playing this for so long. Nobody ever said you had to be at least twelve years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I remember as a family, we were pissed at that radio station because they put him on the air live only to tell a ten year old.
Speaker 2: Boy, yeah that you know can't win.
Speaker 1: But you can't win. I think if that happened today, we'd be like, oh, you know what, I'm sorry, you know what, Oh you're only ten. I'll tell you what you can't really win this contest, but I'm gonna go ahead and give it to you anyway, or you know what, I get a T shirt and at like something else I'm going to send to you. But you know what, really, thanks for listening, Carl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But the guy was you know, I figured the guy was probably a twenty four year old DJ that didn't know how to treat a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, sucks to be you, buddy.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: So we're going back to the origin of this whole conversation. Danielle writes in and says, I won pink tickets from you guys. My friend, myself, and some random lady. We're standing during her songs and a lady near us tapped on my leg, saying sit down because the people behind us can't see. We ignored him. She tapped my leg again, telling us once again to sit down. I don't think we were in the wrong, but I'm curious of others' opinions. We had a great time. Nonetheless, I don't know. I say, you can do whatever you want at a concert, but also you get to work in a little courtesy, you know, if you really want to stand up. Yes, you paid for the tickets. You can stand up, but at the same time, if you're the only ones in your sections that are standing up, use a little courtesy. You are there as a group and there are people behind you.
Speaker 3: It's your favorite song, well.
Speaker 1: Then stand up during your favorite song.
Speaker 2: Sure, sit during a ballot?
Speaker 3: Why do we need a stand during a I feel like a Pink concert's pretty energetic throughout most of it. I understand she does have some ballads, so there probably are a couple times you could sit, but the man would I'm standing during a concert type of person like Noah CON's not that energetic. We stood almost the entire concert, and so did like half our section.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely different if you're on the floor versus if you're on something that's like slanted. Yeah, because if you're in slanted you can sit down and still see and there's really no reason to stand up, Versus if you're on the floor and people are standing around you, you have to stand up in order to see.
Speaker 1: Ask yourself and try to think, do you look at the artist during the show or do you look at the jumbo tron?
Speaker 2: I try see. I always this is like a thing I feel because I don't really like concerts in general, because I think, Okay, I just listen to this at home, especially if I am in nosebleeds, because if I'm just looking at a jumbo tron, then I could just be looking at footage of this concert versus the actual concert. So if I'm going to pay money to go and see a concert that like, oh I really love this artist, I need to see them in person, I would try my best to save up money so that I could buy a seat that's closer so I could see them in real life versus just look at the jumpo.
Speaker 1: Try I find myself looking at the jumbo tron. I'm I don't. I don't dislike concerts. I just don't go to that many. And my reason is a lot of the time they're on a weeknight. I don't want to go on a weeknight. I don't like driving all the way to Saint Paul, paying for parking, then parking, then walking in, waiting for a shitty opening act, and then the regular band comes on late, and then you got then you get stuck in traffic, and pretty soon it's eleven thirty and I'm just now leaving the venue. So I don't really go to a lot of concerts. There are some that I would still go to.
Speaker 2: I'm on Wednesday? Are you going to see Lawrence on Wednesday? Out last week?
Speaker 1: What are we do again?
Speaker 2: They're kind of like funky sound. They have like a new song on the radio.
Speaker 1: RSTI I had them at a band girls n Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's kind of yeah, funky soul but pop.
Speaker 1: I like that for you. Yeah, good to story.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: H Okay, let us know what you think about standing up at concerts. Send an email to Ryan Show at KADWB dot com. Let's do this. One thought I would share a story about when Demi Lovado recorded part of her Cool for the Summer music video on Lake Minnetaka. I remember this so well. The event was held in the courtyard connected to Bayside Grill and Excelsior, which is still there, but it's not called Bayside Grill. It's an event center and it's right next to Maynards. I was a waitress there at the time, and my manager asked me in another server to go around and sell prime viewing passes for ten dollars cash. Myself and the other server quickly realized that the manager was planning to pocket the money, so we decided to sell them for twenty bucks and keep the additional ten dollars for ourselves. I mean, a girl got to pay for college any way she can. For context, this was fifty teen ish or more years ago, when she had cool for the summer. Fast forward a few hours later, very impatient crowd as Demi took forever to arrive via jet ski. It was the stupidest thing.
Speaker 2: Out for me, a jet ski.
Speaker 1: It was so stupid because they rode her out. First of all, she was not very comfortable on a jet ski. They had her try to ride one herself, if I remember right, She couldn't do it, so they put her on the back of like some person's jet ski. Then they rowed her out away from the boat the dock, and then they had her come back in several times so she would jauntily jump off the jet ski and run down the dock, run up on the stage and sing. Well, it took a few takes to do it, and it took for fucking ever. She quickly performed for about fifteen minutes, then was whisked away for a private meet and greet hosted by Katie WB at the events center upstairs. Well, I suddenly have a swarm of angry mothers, crying, teeny boppers and sad, drunk college girls saying I was promised that I would get prime viewing because I paid twenty dollars for it. Can't blame them. Come to find out, the other waitress was claiming that they were not only great viewing spots, but you would also get to go to the meet and greet. I had no idea. She was saying that, I don't exactly remember what happened at the end is it truly was not my fault, but I ended up pocketing an additional two hundred bucks or so for selling fake prime viewing thep meet and greets. Anyway, just another fun memory, and I figured you might enjoy hearing another side of that stupid music video filming staff writer Nicole I didn't know about that at all.
Speaker 2: I've not yet. I've definitely never heard a story like that.
Speaker 1: But that was I mean, it was kind of a cool event. She was kind of like at the top of her game back then, and it was kind of cool. But she did keep everybody waiting while she wrote up on the jet skiing.
Speaker 2: Sure, is Nicole admitting to an ethical crime here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Apparently so again out Yeah, but as fifteen years ago, so the statute limitations fired. Yeah, she's just fine, all right? Continuing on with the Minnesota goodbye. Let me open up my tab again here. This is interesting and they talk about a couple of things. Fishing trips in elementary school. They went to Rice Lake in Maple Grove, and they said that they brought their own rod and gear with and on my very first cast, my entire line unraveled out of my reel went sailing into the lake, along with the lure that I had borrowed from my brother. So my fishing trip turned into a day at the lake. Okay, that's cute. Another random thing about school that popped into my mind. Who else remembers doing the Pledge of allegiance every single day at the start of the school day. Yes, did you, Bailey? Jenny? Did you? Yeah? We did too. Did they not do it anymore?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think because I have worked in schools in the last like ten years, and I feel like they would they do the pledge of allegiance maybe on Monday, like they do it one time on Monday and then not again. But we see it every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did too. Yeah, And it's interesting because if you ever sit down and we did this somewhere in school, to go line by line through the pledge of allegiance to realize what you're doing. I pledge allegiance to the flag. So you're pledging allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands semi colon, one nation under God, Comma indivisible. So in other words, you can't split up states with liberty and justice for all. So you say this out of wrote memory when you're in third grade, but you don't have any idea what you're saying. Really, it just like.
Speaker 2: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Like you not put any robotic because you don't understand what you're doing anyway, So they say why they always said it was felt very culty to have my children pledging their allegiance to the country and saying words they don't even understand. Okay, not a bad point, but I think that's maybe the responsibility of a teacher to, you know, to do a lesson like hey, here's what you guys are doing. You're not just reciting like the Lord's prayer, Our Father, who out and who are in heaven, how it would be thy name like Kingdom. Come, I will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors, or forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass.
Speaker 2: Against us our sins, as and forgive those who against us.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, there's a several different versions. We came from an unusual church. Yeah, our church. Oh no, no, no, our church was well. We believe that Jesus died in an ATV accident, at accident an ATV. Are you wearing a helmet? No, he was not wearing a helmet. Went over a sand.
Speaker 3: Dune, a sand dune. Did you find that out? Was it like petroglyphs or something like that.
Speaker 1: Pet petrock glyph three twenty Yeah. The problem is you believe you believe me for a minute, you did believe that. You know, when you're setting we're to play a game called the Books of the Bible game. Okay, first one to drop out loses go around clockwise Genesis, John, Matthew, Mark, Ruth, you're out, okay, Jenny is between you and me?
Speaker 3: Collations?
Speaker 1: No, No, that's a good one. That okay, I'll go Proverbs.
Speaker 2: I have Luke. Did you someone say.
Speaker 1: Where you said?
Speaker 2: Luke?
Speaker 1: You're out? Okay?
Speaker 3: I think I'm out.
Speaker 1: Well, you you're already out. I was going to cap it off with Ruth.
Speaker 2: I didn't realized we were going to be doing this game.
Speaker 1: Nobody.
Speaker 2: She already said get out of here.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well then I lose.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, no I lost first.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did win.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, you're the most Christian in the group.
Speaker 1: Now your heads, head about your heads. Heavenly Father, please forgive these two heathens for not knowing your Holy book, the Word of the Lord John three point sixteen. For God forgave his only son and send him to earth to bless all the people.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's okay?
Speaker 1: Can I get an amen?
Speaker 2: Amen?
Speaker 1: Now here's the funny thing. People will be like, you're mocking religion. Not at all. I really, you know, because I think if I'm going to fall into any division of religion, I'm a Christian, but not a practicing Christian. But definitely a respectful Christian. But I really believe God gifted us with a couple of wonderful things. Sex, horniness, and a sense of humor. Don't you think that those were gifts from gods? Because sex doesn't you know, in the terms of biological recreation, we don't have to have orgasms. But God gave us orgasms to make it a whole lot more fun. God's like, damn, these people need a good orgasm.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I also chicken nachos. I love chicken all.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's actually a sin that God made chicken nachos.
Speaker 1: It should only be pork beef.
Speaker 3: Or yes, porker beef.
Speaker 2: Okay, the devil made chicken nachos.
Speaker 1: The devil made That's the name of the episode, The Devil made chicken nachos.
Speaker 2: Petro.
Speaker 1: So, no, when when we make jokes about religion, like Jesus died in an ATV accident, some people get mad because, you know, if you're really hardcore, you know what, Yeah, that is a little bit disrespectful. But I truly believe that God gave us a rich sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know that Jesus didn't die in an atv accident.
Speaker 1: He died and when he slipped in the tub.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, lifelink wasn't around back then.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't have one of those life at.
Speaker 2: Lifeinth something too.
Speaker 1: Do you know the baseball is mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Genesis really? Yeah, in the big inning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the big inning.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jenny. Don't you know the first of the Bible? Do you know the first line of the Bible? You fucking heathen? In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like. So anyway, don't get mad at us for, you know, for jokes that are about religion, because I think that I've made my point.
Speaker 2: We all have our favorites, you know. Scripture what Yeah, do you have your favorite scripture? David?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say the twenty third Psalm?
Speaker 2: What is that one?
Speaker 1: The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want And basically it's reassuring that you know, no matter what kind of awful things you're going through, you God has got you. He's right there. He's your shepherd. The Lord is my shepherd. The only thing is it's like, it's not true if I'm dying out of heat exhaustion in the Grand Canyon. The Lord is not there to bring me, you know, an aquafina. Okay, you know what I mean. So the Lord might be my shepherd, and it's very reassuring, but I think at the same time, the Lord's like, get off your ass. There's a parable. Do you want to hear a parable?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: So a guy is it's in a flood. He's in a flood. He's on the roof of his house. Yeah, and there's floodwaters all around him. A guy comes up in canoe and he says, I want to save you. Get in the canoe and the guy's like, no, no, no, the Lord will save me. So the guy in the canoe paddles away. Guy still on the roof. Floodwaters are rising. A guy comes by in a rowboat. He's like, oh my god, I'm here. I'm gonna save you. Get in the rowboat and the guy said, no, no, no, I'm going to wait for the Lord to save me. The guy's like, okay, fuck. He paddles off. Helicopter comes by, hovers by the roof, says hey, we want to save you. Climb up the ladder, get in the helicopter, and the guy said, I'm waiting for the Lord to save me, and so the helicopter flies off. The guy waters rise, he drowns, he dies, He goes up to the pearly gates and he's like, God, I thought that you said that you would, you know, save me. You're always with me, And God's like, you're a dumb ass. I sent a canoe, I sent a row bo I send a helicopter, you stupid fuck WHOA. Now that's not a biblical quote because there's no paraphrasing. Yeah, but my point is, you know, as I walk through this valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me. So I think that God, yeah, he might be with you, but you got to get off your ass and work on it yourself. Believe No, I don't think that's that's not my bee. I don't think you were not listening God. No, You've got to take action for yourself. Like it's like God, I want you to help me lose weight. Well, God's not going to sit there and like wave his wand and make you lose weight. But God might say, well, listen, I I you know what, you just got a bonus. Maybe you should join Livia Weight Control Centers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll give you the wherewithal to go make it happen.
Speaker 1: Well said, thank you for putting a cap on it. The God will give you the wear for the ball. But sometimes you got to look for it. Jenny, you gotta fucking look around, Jenny.
Speaker 2: Jenny's like the Lord. Lord.
Speaker 1: Well, there's an awkward silence or I don't know what's saying.
Speaker 3: Why has it always got to be me because you always in the podcast?
Speaker 2: Can I tell you my favorite scripture we can be done? Yeah, it's Matthew five fourteen. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden, means don't don't you know hide your light? Be the biggest light you can be.
Speaker 1: So we are the light of the world, like the person is the light of the world.
Speaker 2: Though, Okay, a city set on a hill cannot be hidden. So you put your city up on a hill because you're the light of the world.
Speaker 1: David Okay. I also liked a rich man has as much chance of getting into heaven as a camel passing through the eye of a needle, And I thought that was really interesting. I think then and then Jesus also said the poor will always be among us. In other words, it doesn't matter what kind of shit that like. Politicians will tell you, there will always be poor people. How do I know, Jesus told me. I also know this one. Jesus loves me. This I know, for the Bible told me so little ones to he belong. They are weak, but he is strong. Yes, Jesus. Hey, that is the most biblical, Minnesota good Bible.
Speaker 2: Probably Amen. Amen,