Speaker 1: It's a nice size.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right. We are asking a very simple question, how is your economy means? How is your lifestyle impacted by all of this politics? Doesn't necessarily have to tell me who you're gonna vote for. I'm not looking for that information. I'm just looking at you better off now than you were at whatever reference point you want to make, whether it was ten years ago. You We've heard pretty much people saying that things are not good. I'd love to hear from you. And we're just gonna keep rolling. You're going to go next to Warren and fall river. Warren, you were next to a nightstand. How's your economy doing, Warren?
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan, Yeah, my economy is not good. I mean, I'm coming home from work right now, and it's just it just amazes me how the you know, inflation has eaten up you know, anything that I can save and I mean to try to get ahead nearly impossible. You know, I haven't. I haven't gone on vacation in five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so the last vacation was before COVID obviously.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was before COVID.
Speaker 4: It was there was a.
Speaker 3: Trip up, there was a weekend up in New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that I think COVID has had a tremendous impact, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely absolutely. But it's just the fact that I think, you know, with government, I think we have to simplify. I think we have to go with a new approach and just we have to simplify and reduce down what federal government you know, should take care of, you know, defense of the country, you know, the then states, you know, and just and you know, in other things in the economy, it should it should be pretty basic and leave everything else to the stakes, you know, and and trying to simplify what they do too, because we pay for a lot of unnecessary stuff, and you know, like every every household has a budget and money. We have so much money coming in. We have so much money coming in and and and what what do households do. They have to decide, you know, what what gets paid, what what doesn't you know, you know, what what they can do with the money. You know, Oh, we have to set a steak, We're gonna have to have hot dogs for two weeks, you know, type of type type of things. And government should learn from that and It's just something. I mean, it drives me crazy that, you know, like all these you know, these people blame corporations this and that, they don't understand business. They don't understand business because the corporations are getting slammed by the you know, the black you know, the the you know, the supply line issues and all stuff like that, and the cost of everything being wick and high too. I mean, like I worked for CBS Health and in the print department, and a skin of paper, you know, a pallet of paper might cost twenty five thousand dollars. A palette of paper, a palette of paper, which is you know, it could be it could be it could be twenty thousand sheets of paper. And it's that it all depends, it all depends on the gloss level.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know what do you think whatever a corporation pays for something, they're going to try to make.
Speaker 3: A profit on it, exactly. And they don't understand that you have overhead, you have the cost of the machines, you have maintenance, you have you know, you have the you know, the paying of payroll, you have all this stuff and they're getting squeezed just like us. Yeah, you've got You've got a couple that are greedy that, you know, give corporations a bad name. But for the most part, corporations are just like everyone in everyone's household. They're trying to do, you know, do do the best of the with their budget as they can. And I think we just we need to simplify. I think we have to take a hard book at government what gets spent, and we have to cut out a lot of the lot of the nonsense stuff. And that's the only way, that's the only way that we do that the you know, money can get back.
Speaker 4: To the people.
Speaker 1: That might be a formula physics. That's one good, good call. Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Okay, thank you, Dan, a good one. Only lines open right now. Six one. It's a simple question. And I want to hear from as many women as possible on this as well, because I think they probably are many times better accountants in terms of their money than men. But I want to hear from both. Six one, seven, nine, three. Real simple question. How is your economy? Take the comments that jer Own Powell makes, the President makes the economist on TV. Makes you know your economy better than everyone anyone else? Is it good, batter, indifferent or better yet? It is it good, bad or ugly? Simple as that. How's your economy? Back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World.
Speaker 5: Night Side Studios on WBZ the news Radio.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Bill and danvers. Bill, I'll be interested in how you your economy is. I know a little bit about what you do.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Yeah, well, I mean, am I better off than I was four years ago?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 6: The only thing that has helped me is, of course I pay attention. And I was well aware of the policies from day one from me and I knew it was going to end well when he signed the secut award is and going after a lot of the drilling and our energy, and we're going to rely on other people. And that hasn't worked out so well. So that also aided with the inflation. And I got to tell you the afternoon business is well. Customer accounts a down. Customer account's been down over sixteen months. But the big thing I think in the afternoon, I don't know if you saw a survey was briefly out maybe a week or so ago. I know you're away, but I think they said almost forty percent of people in New England had a side gig. So I think if you get out of your regular jobs, say at the nine to five, and in the old days you had to pick up some of the mall or it was an anniversary something with the wife where you were going to go and get your watch fixed, okay and do something, you don't get that business now because people are going to go and do door dash okay, they're doing Uber okay, and they're doing a side gig. So that affects that business. So the weekend, which was sixty percent of your business, there's now seventy percent. So everything is condensed.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting way to look at it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, I find that and I talk to my customers and now I am doing this.
Speaker 3: Now I'm doing.
Speaker 6: That people, and I don't seem like I used to. And a guy come over to be with the family. He goes, listen, we're down the market basket and fuel and I hear that from a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Did I go to market basket?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But my way to go to market basket? Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they basically there's the family. And I was in a few weeks ago and there was a woman's here three nice looking young girls, the family, and it was six hundred and seven dollars at the register.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the family.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, So I mean, and I think if you added up from from January twenty four or when it when he cuts one in, when it was about what one point nine percent inflation one point set whatever the number one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it when he was one, When when it was inflation when Joe Biden became president was one point four percent?
Speaker 6: Yeah, wy, one point four. So and if you added up when it was you've even take the government numbers, you're probably lost because every year now they claiming victory because it's two point nine, but they take out the food and energy, which is the big story. So if you added up, I mean basically you've lost thirty percent of your money. So in the last three and a half years, if you're not making thirty cents more on the dollar, you're behind. And that best maybe people get four percent a year maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well if that if that, yeah, you know, wages have have really slowed down obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I mean I've mitigated things. I just did a three year extension on the lease. I almost didn't do it. I didn't do five. I did three. There's some big projects underway. They're going to be opening in the next sixty seventy days. I'm sure that'll help. But if we had a growing, more healthy economy, it would really help. So we'll see what happens. You know, I've been opened sixteen years. You know, I wanted to make at least twenty a little over that. You know, I'm kind of in the middle of the road, Dan, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you let one foot in, one foot out, and you kind of afford to take both set out.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, and then with the car and you know when and early on we had a big boost because Massachusetts they love the shutdown, so everyone went over the border and they had all the extra money so when they printed the money, which I also helped drive up this inflation. Okay, I didn't have any help, so I mean, I worked like a wild man. And why it was good. I overpaid a lot of stuff and I was closer than the mortgage, so I paid it off. So at least I don't have a mortgage. I don't have a cop payment, so you know, I and.
Speaker 1: I I'm married.
Speaker 6: Yep, too big, but I don't have child support. So but I mean people that do you know, they're getting in their mid fifties and they have all the friends of mine. I'll tell you, man, it's uh, you know. And listening to the calls tonight, I don't have too many people really thrilled and happy about this. And some of the calls to hot break and there. I got to tell you listening to that guy in the cop yeah you know so I've.
Speaker 1: Talked with him before and it's tough. It's absolutely tough. Yeah, Bill, I appreciate it. I thank you. Good. Good perspective as from a small business from a guy who's a small business guy. Thanks Bill.
Speaker 6: Thanks then, hen good.
Speaker 1: To bet you good night. Six one, six one seven nine thirty. Simple question, how's your economy? Michael and Antilborough. Michael, how's your economy going doing right now?
Speaker 8: My economy, I'm not bad.
Speaker 7: I'm a little more cautious. I wanted to echo exactly what Bill said, and I'm going to go back to Glenn also. But I think what's happened is the thing about no one wants to work. It's the side gigs. It's like it's your own company, Uber Door Gas, the restaurant's likely doing incredible because of those I think, because that was all added stuff that they didn't have before. However, I think it's twenty percent. You got to get the door gass or something like that. But there's a dooming glow. Not me. I'm not a doom and gloom guy. There's this thing that's still hanging, a black cloud. I think that's still hanging because of COVID. My buddy and I.
Speaker 3: Used to go movies.
Speaker 7: I mean, I couldn't stand that it was only stupid Wonder Woman, all that stupid stuff. But we went, you know, to have a good time. And you know, we've been friends for life. And he's actually sick. He's going to be going in for an operation. But I asked him, if you want to go.
Speaker 3: We're not doing that anymore.
Speaker 8: We're just not doing it.
Speaker 7: There's no there's no I'm not even driving around with the coffee.
Speaker 2: Can right.
Speaker 7: Actually I am, but sometimes I'm packing in the pocket. A lot of them scared I'm gonna get a hijacked, you know.
Speaker 8: But anyway, keep.
Speaker 1: The doors locked, Keep the doors locked. That's all you gotta do.
Speaker 7: The cop pulled up for me. The police officer when I was on the phone with you, and uh yeah, but anyway, he probably knew you anyway, But I wanted to echo something that Glenn said. The woman who calls at the top of the hour, I gotta tell you, she has got to get a job. Somebody must have not I mean, got to get a job like that, some executive or somebody doesn't even must have heard her speaking. I will guarantee you they're gonna try and find her to calling you. She was incredible.
Speaker 1: Well that's great. I mean, if any potential employers are out there and they want to give us a call, we can always then put out a call back to the listeners and say, hey, if you want to talk to this company whatever. I love to put people good people together. Couldn't agree with you more. Michael, Thank you much. Talk to you about that great night. Let's go next again. We're moving a little bit quick more quickly here Gary's and Moiburg Gary next on Nightside Good Things.
Speaker 8: I want to throw Jeff robin Zala every time he's on it is awesome. I don't agree with him being a Democrat and so forth. But we're here to talk about the economy, which is my favorite subject matter. I think we should have a national revolution about something. You might giggle and chuckle like Amala Harris right now, which is terrible when she does that. But why don't we all just revolt on not having cable in our house and let's make it a national crisis. Let's go back to the hillbilly days, watch regular TV. We listened to the radio Dann Ray, and we talked to each other and played tads in the house and let it go on until But the table companies are like, oh my god, we lost a billion billions of dollars. We gotta get the prices done a great well.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. If everybody keeps writing that check every month, why would they want to bring prices down?
Speaker 8: Right now? As far as working and so forth, I told you before, I'm single guy at sixty one. I lived at somebody's cellar for the last five years. Love it. So I don't have any problems. I have a job that's that car up blank black. But I do want to give people on the tip of advice about getting a job. This is what happened to me back when I was twenty six sex years old, no, forty years old. I'm sorry I called uh. I don't tell you exactly the company, but it was Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I was on the phone for about four hours with forty different companies. Say hey, my name is Gary, single guy, no kids, no bad habits. Is stat looking for a part time job? One point black. I did that Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And I was a pest. Pest pest that five responses and the last one hired me. And and if you keep leaving messages, the people say, man, that guy wants a job back.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the point. That's the point. If you if you keep pushing, you're going to be okay. And you can't get discouraged when three people, three companies say no, you got to find a fourth one. I love your enthusiasm, Gary, That's what That's what people need to learn from that conversation.
Speaker 8: Also, going to the store, diet coke is my drug of choice. I see to lead a bottle of soda. I'm I'm a guzzler. I see it at two dollars and two dollars and fifty cents. It's enough to drive me crazy. It intimidates me where I don't even buy it. I go to McDonald's lot there for a dollar forty for refills. I sit there and vegetate like an old man, have a bunch of drinks and enjoy myself. As far as economy wise, how do people go to fast food McDonald's in this one and that one? Because I go to these places, right, but I don't eat their food anymore because it sucksssive. And you know it's so popular, as you know, Dan, when you go to McDonald's and you see kids paying with a credit card. I never paid for a credit card when I was a kid to do.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't have credit cards. Do you know what a credit card was?
Speaker 8: But that's right.
Speaker 1: That allows a lot of people, a lot of people get into trouble because it's so easy to put it on the plastic as opposed to reach it in your pocket and pulling out the pictures of dead presidents.
Speaker 8: And I'll leave you with this final thought. Okay, way back when when I was ten to twelve years old, we had Purity Supreme and Sale in the Hampshire combination of the Massachusets.
Speaker 1: Line Purity Supreme. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh, I just thought of something that's very important, and I'm going to tell you in a second, and my father would say, here, go to the store, go get a half gallon of ice cream. And a half gallon of ice cream. Then was most popular was called post this ice cream.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much?
Speaker 8: Oh it was two dollars gallon? Way back when you remember Hostess cupcake?
Speaker 1: No, I do not you a new Hampshire brand. I don't. I remember Briars, remember Brigham's Friendlies. Those are the ones that I'm familiar with. I'm not I'm not bending Jerry's very expensive Hagen Das Guy or anything like that.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, thank you, I very appreciated. Well, hold on, hold, I got one more. Nineteen eighty four, the anniversary was just celebrated.
Speaker 7: You know what it was, right, nineteen eighty four, eighty four.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Reagan being renominated.
Speaker 8: The Riots of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that's one I don't want to celebrate, I know.
Speaker 8: And do you know why that happened, by the way, too, I have no idea. Well, combinations of Spanish and the white people were really getting upset with each other because they thought the Spanish people were taking a lot of factory jobs.
Speaker 1: Because I don't want to, I don't want to open up that can worms tonight, particularly in the anniversary Garrea. Okay, and wake up in the morning and find out that some conversation of my show reignited those riots. I thank you, buddy, talk to you soon. That's a great one. Okay, let me get one more in before the break. I'm going to go to Rick Is in Philadelphia. Rick, Welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 2: How you doing? I want to talk about things the economy of ALCO's like for the senior citizen. Now I live here in Philadelphia. The city runs the water department and the gas gas company.
Speaker 3: It's very high.
Speaker 2: My car payments have gone on not my car face, but my car insurance has doubled from six hundred to twelve hundred. And it's mandatory here in Pennsylvania that you have car insurance. So I think since the pandemic came in, as the prices of just deteriorate and gotten higher.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. I don't know if there's a relation. Hey, this is your first time calling my show. I don't remember a Rick from Philadelphia or have you called her?
Speaker 2: No, I've called you several years ago. You know, you know I'm good.
Speaker 3: It's starting to starting to get.
Speaker 2: The winter time because it's OBD is coming nice and clearer in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: That's a that's honor.
Speaker 2: So the summertime is going to end pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much, Rick, and I hope you come back more frequently. So, yeah, price is going up. We're similar to Pennsylvania. We have mandatory car insurance. I think you can buy a bond here in Massachusetts, but nobody does that. Car insurance twelve hundred dollars. What type of car do you drive?
Speaker 2: Well, I drive an eighteen year old car, twenty five hundred accident. It's good, it's over one hundred thousand miles. It's a good thing. I've been drive pretty good. I mean it's a foreign car and it was made pretty well. But I mean it's just a lot for just the basic mandatory. You know, I don't have a I don't have the collision insurance where they would pay to fix the car. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well if I hit the guess that's probably pretty close to what you pay in Massachusetts for the for the for the the minimum to put it of the road.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, unfortunately, and another thing in the grocery store, the cheapest thing is like a condent. It's ketchem and mustard.
Speaker 3: It really up eye, you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, it depends where you go. If you go to market basket up here, they have a lot of sales on those sorts of items you'll get, you know, not a huge size bottle of ketchup, but you can get some ketchup at that market basket for a couple of bucks. I mean if they market baskets are very interesting. Chain up here, I don't know if I don't think you would have it down there, but.
Speaker 2: It's a fact we don't have it down here now.
Speaker 1: Family own chain and they it's it's pretty it's pretty bare bones, not a lot of fancy stuff. They sell just about anything. Uh, but there's a lot of items that you can save on.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: Well, tan to As long as the government keeps printing money like it only continues twenty four hour basis, I mean, inflation is going to get worse. I don't know if Trump or come out, I don't know if they can really do anything about it. It's so it's so out there, you know, Well.
Speaker 1: If they don't do something out of it about it, eventually all our dollars will will be worthless because that's what happens is they'll have to devalue the dollar if they can't, if they can't catch up with this federal debt. We're thirty five trillion in debt right now. I don't know that. I think what's the percentage of the federal budget, but it's a significant percentage of the federal budget is paying just to cover the interest on our on our national debt, which is which is disgraceful in my opinion. Rick, great to hear your voice. Come on back more often.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, thank you, Dan.
Speaker 2: I love your showing now that the battle the win is going to come in soon is going to be nice and clear to hear you on the A I don't.
Speaker 1: Know if you're good on the internet, but you can pull down the iHeart app and you can hear us any night you on. I have people all over the world who listen to us who are not relying on the terrestrial signal. They rely on the iHeart app. Simple as that. You can just plug in W busy news radio or a night's that with Dan Ray and on the app you got as clear as a bell. Okay, dank you rec appreciate it. Go Philly, take it easy. Yeah, you had a pretty good baseball team that may be the best team in baseball right now.
Speaker 4: I know they lately.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know not every team goes into a little bit of a little bit of a slump. But they got some really good players down there. Uh. You got a couple of left handed have hitters, including Harper, who anybody would like.
Speaker 2: Well, they're very demanding. They keep selling out down there, so the people are demanding. Did they go to the World Series. I don't know if they'll do that, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks, Rick, talk to you soon. I've been in that ballpark, Citizens Bank Ballpark, six one seven. Well, no, now that line's full, so the only lines that are open are six one seven, nine thirty. My question is real simple. How is your economy? How are you doing? Is one way to look at it. Give us a call back on nights Side. After this.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, a couple of callers dropped off. A couple of callers jumped on. That's fine, they weren't Paci. Let's go Tim in Boston. Tim next on Nightside, Thanks for checking in.
Speaker 5: Tim, Hey, Dan, I'm going to give you two things. What do you want my vacation plans? First of my economy, I'd like to know how's your economy? Terrible?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 5: First of all, the price of my house insurance doubled. Second of all, the groceries have almost doubled, and the heat and oil has doubled two and a half times, like I called before, And I just can't understand these people. That one's complaining about the grocery store. Then I heard this nutcase on another radio station call up. It was a Democrat, a big Harris person, and the gentleman asked him, how's your economy? And he goes, what do you think of grocery store? He goes, My wife and I went in the store, well back to the pocket lot, and we were crying that we didn't pay our fair share. We both got like ninety bucks out ran into the store and gave it to the manager and we felt better. And the guy called him on the other talk mask. I said, you're an idiot, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, well that's great. That was a moment in radio. I'm sorry I missed that. By the way, oil prices right now are kind of hanging around eighty dollars a barrel. There's no reason that your oil price is your home heating. It should be two and a half times a Well, you know it's going to go up a little bit, but it shouldn't go up that much. I would be looking for a different oil dealer if I were you, I would bet you do you do? What have you done any comparative price shopping?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, they're all the same around it. Really, Yeah, they're holding they know what's going to happen. But the grocery prices that really nailed me. But I get around it by I have a lot of pasta hit lots of it, and I buy the you know the sauce the rag well, I don't want to give a name, but you know the the sauce that's good. Every night, every other night, I cook up enough for two days and I put it in a refrigerator. It's free practically, it's already been there for a long time, and then I heat it up the next night. I get a big, nice, good meal out of it.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that's good, that's good thinking. That's taking ahead. That's you's opposed to running out and and ordering takeout. Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm taking my vacation. I've been saving up, you know, I go all over the place. I've been in Arizona, La San Diego every year. But I've been getting these called blond Boy points from Marriott. You've heard of those, right.
Speaker 1: Not really, but that's okay. I get the idea.
Speaker 5: It's like Ali Miles, Yeah, okay, I have a hotel. I'm going to San Antonio for five nights, and I'm just asking you real quick. I'm not going to take a long time. What do you think the price I paid altogether for five nights in the hotel in San Antonio would be.
Speaker 1: With or without points? With the points, well, I guess I don't know how valuable the points are. I would assume that in a decent hotel in San Antonio and Texas, you're probably paying one sixty.
Speaker 5: One okay with the point Okay, Okay, that's the regular price. You're right now, I'm saying with the blond Boy points, I have the it's five hundred dollars for five nights, five thirteen.
Speaker 1: In fact, ok there's one hundred dollars a night.
Speaker 5: Yep, right, And but but they give you a vouchers. I have eight vouchers they're going to give me. It's two meals a day. So there's a Denny's. They're pretty good places, not bad, but they're right across the street and San Antonio. So I get two meals guaranteed right there for the whole time.
Speaker 1: That's gay. It sounds like a great trip. Let us know what. How you do you on that trip? Okay?
Speaker 5: The Alamo and I'm going to the Riverwalker?
Speaker 1: Sounds good, sounds good. Well, the river Walk should be free, but the Alamo is gonna cost you.
Speaker 5: Not too much.
Speaker 1: Good, it's not expensive there, okay, right, have a great trip when we when we be away.
Speaker 5: I'm going Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. It's cheap and fly that way good, and I'm coming back next Friday night.
Speaker 1: Let us know how the trip is. I've never been to the Alamo, never scene until.
Speaker 5: Is there too? The world's fear they had there. It's still attack good. There's a lot to see that all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, thanks Tim, talk soon, have a great night. Let me go next to the diaper Lady Donna in Deerfield. Donna, how are we doing out there tonight?
Speaker 9: Oh Dan, I'm a new in at Wegmans right now, hang out, Wayne, when to move on, But I'm waiting to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Are you actually in a Wegman's parking lot?
Speaker 9: Yes? And hill?
Speaker 1: Oh I know. Oh yeah, that's a tough parking lot, by the way, I mean it's during the daytime. It's it's a tough parking lot.
Speaker 9: No, you have to do the evening. That's my My prime time is now.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, now where are you? I know that parking lot? What do you parked in front of you?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: I'm just by the parking garage, like right, like if I get out, I walk right into the store.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. Okay, so you're in the garage. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, no, But like the economy, when you talk about the economy, I'm I'm coming like all this stuff, like like the I'm seeing my customer slack off. I never lived through inflation, so I didn't increase my prices when I should have, you know, and and and then it's just like I'm a landlord, so that's not like evil, but they don't want you to raise the rents, but the cost of maintaining and like people saying about their insurances and stuff. I mean, everything costs more to maintain into and to have this stuff. It's like to sell it and cut your losses and take the profits and run and let someone else charge increases in rent to my poor little tenants. Or do I suck it up and be the humanitarian?
Speaker 8: And I am no.
Speaker 1: I think you got to be true to yourself and you got to look at say what what is my investment? What should my return on investment be? What my ro o iv You can't you can't, you know, break even? You gotta you gotta make you gotta make a little prod.
Speaker 9: Dad gave me the house, but don't look at poor family, my apartment of the house, my landlord house. My dad gave me and he gave it to me as my retirement.
Speaker 1: Don't know when I get that both station. No, but don't look at it like that and look at it at the point of view. How many how many tenants do you have?
Speaker 9: Four four fo.
Speaker 1: You've had had inflation for the last year of four percent. You know, I think you gotta Unfortunately, I think you get to raise the prices because if if you've got a problem in one of those units, and you got to hire a plumber.
Speaker 9: Oh oh, we already had a toilet backed up, and the people were the newer they're idiots, and then they it wasn't it was paper or something. And then she snapping at me, and I'm like, and I need to go and start a new customer out here. And she ruined my night that night with no with the stupidity shy so but it's okay, I'm seasoned professional.
Speaker 1: So your diaper business is you basically uh use reusable you know, you basically launder reusable diapers. I get that, Yes, but your business is hurting now. People are well.
Speaker 9: It's not I would say the pandemic concept. You know that when that happened, the replacements like you need to start so many customers per month to maintain a base that might make you more profit margins.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, obviously your base changes because every you know, two or three years, when some some single, when some family has one child, you lose them to live another child. I get that, you know.
Speaker 9: No, we were talking like just in the past few months and then well then we'll we'll get them back. But I've already lost twenty percent of my customers since the beginning of this year.
Speaker 1: That's a big hit. That's a big hit. You got to raise those red prices for your tenants.
Speaker 9: No, I'm counting the days. I'm sixty four and a half, Dan, I'm counting. I'm trying to figure out where to land in terms of retirement.
Speaker 1: You've got to go to a financial planner, find out how much cash and how much money you have in the bank, and they then can say to you, Okay, you should, you should have this in order to live. But maybe you have enough now, maybe you don't. You got to go to a financial planner and figure that out.
Speaker 9: I'm okay with like the other guy. Not that I want to live in my car, but I with all the time I ride around and I see the home the working homeless living in their cars in the Lexington Rest area is unbelievable to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't of imagine what.
Speaker 8: That, but it's real.
Speaker 7: It's so real.
Speaker 9: And I'm a landlord. But I know that I am a reasonable landlord. And my nephew told me the other day to sell my house because I'll get seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars for it. I said, yes, I sell my house for seven hundred and fifty. I know exactly who in our town will come and buy it. I only charged no more than eleven hundred dollars for nine hundred square feet per month with he included. And then someone else is going to come in and charge two thousand dollars a month for the same apartment, and that puts a lot of people out of having an apartment.
Speaker 1: No, I hear you in that. I hear you in that. Don a great to hear your voice. We haven't talked in a while. Keep in touch, please, okay, I want to.
Speaker 9: I'm in your time frame. I look for you all the time. Okay, eight to midnight, eight to midnight.
Speaker 10: I know what I know.
Speaker 9: It all just depends on my time frame.
Speaker 1: Time frames match. It's a beautiful thing. Thanks to har it is.
Speaker 9: That's what cosmic energy is all about.
Speaker 1: You got it? Be good? Be good? Okay, thanks touch you soon have a quick break. We're going to finish up with Matt cg and Gambridge and Steven new Hampshire coming back after this. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. Okay, let's try to get everybody in real quickly gonna go to Matt and Florida. Matt, how is your economy doing down there for you?
Speaker 10: Oh, it's fantastic and I got a great life. I want to give all the advice that I was given ten years ago by all the boomer audience. How about all of you just work a little harder. Why don't you get a second job, Why don't you go uber? Why don't you sell you one of.
Speaker 6: Your two houses?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'm dead serious. It's unbelievable. So my generation is lazy because we can't afford million dollar houses, but you guys can't afford pickles or a soda, and now the world's ending. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Dan, you know I love you.
Speaker 10: I had to get it in though, because it's ironic. It's just hilarious. Maybe now, maybe now every all of us can come together and realize these politicians are scamming all of us. Instead of us fighting against each other, we need to come together and fix the country.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, Thanks, Thanks Matt.
Speaker 1: You get it all in and less than a minute. CG and Cambridge, CG. I haven't heard from you in a while. Where have you been.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've been busy and right now I have a bad cold, but I hope you can hear me clearly.
Speaker 1: And here you find you sound great. You got a great radio voice, right now, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I worked until I was seventy three, and that's the way I was able to hedge my bed on all this inflation and so on. But I worked two jobs for thirty four years, and my wife worked part time. Both kids went to college. We picked up the tab on everything. And on top of that, they were smart enough to continue their education. They got their master's degree. So they're finding good. We don't have to help them with anything. We might need some help from them in the future. But just the electric bills shocked me this month. In the last two years, it's doubled. My electric bills has doubled. And I've even had companies come in and look at the house and they said, geez, youre doing about everything you have to do. You might need some more insulation, more insulation. Well, okay, but putting in more insulation, I think the cost was something like thirty five hundred. They said, i'mbout need to do that right yet. But I think in most cases, I'm now eighty and I don't work anymore. I am now fully retired, and I just do all my own maintenance work as much maintenance work that I can do.
Speaker 7: A guy named the.
Speaker 4: Lawn everything and couldn't live in Cambridge anymore. I am out of out of Cambridge, but I still say I'm from Cambridge when I call you a show. But I'm out of Cambridge. And some of the things that have happened in the time i'm in now are worse than Cambridge. Super liberals in the town i'm in, I mean super liberals. When they vote to spend money, they all get up and chair.
Speaker 3: We got it, we got it. We're gonna spend more money on this and that and everything.
Speaker 4: Else, which means my taxes have gone up oh oh, probably not as much as double, but close to double in all these years. I'm saying, when are they going to stop? And I think the last guy had the right point. We have to get together and stop the argument aments ourselves and force the politicians to do the right thing. We have to vote them out if they're not doing the right thing. And you can't just go Democrat, Republican or independence. It's got to be the person, the individual, absolutely in that office.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, no question, no question.
Speaker 4: This crasher on the hospitals. I think there should be a few people in jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. So.
Speaker 4: I'm retired, but I still do all my own maintenance work. I clean the house outside. Everything is outside. My wife takes care of everything inside. I mowed the lawn and I cut the hedges. I wash the house. I have a power washer.
Speaker 1: Keep exercising, that's good.
Speaker 4: And I have two lawnmowers. Want to do all around the edge of the property because it's a little kurvy and bumpy, and I sit down right on one more to do the rest of the place. So that I've got a patent going so that I can do so much work each week, and my workday probably two or three days a week, I do four. I was working around the outside of the house and that keeps my legs moving, and that keeps me moving. But lots of my relatives have moved to Florida and they're extremely happy down there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Matt's pretty happy in Florida too. CG. I got to get one more in. Come on back more often, will you. I love your call.
Speaker 3: Thank you for talking.
Speaker 1: Have a great night. Steve in New Hampshire, Steve we got less than a minutefore you go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Hey Dan, Hey Steve.
Speaker 11: Glad to see you back from Italy. I'm glad you had a good trip we did.
Speaker 1: It was hot, it was hot, but it was fun.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 11: I know, and there's a lot of history there. I'm very well aware of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I just want to say, you know, I am sixty nine. I turned sixty nine to live twenty seconds after your birthday. I am homeless. I'm sleeping in my Toyota Corolla. I'm not going to stay where, but it's near a health club. And I had to sell my house because I broke my hip two years ago and I walked around for a whole year on a broken hip, bone against bone, you could hear it. Finally got the operation done last year, and then this year, far more serious. I stepped on a nail and I got a blood infection. MRSA and I was at Hotelier in Burlington, the Lakey Clinic down there, great great people. They gave me three days to live in April. They said, if you don't get this taken care of right now, you're going to be dead on Friday. And that was a Tuesday afternoon. So they got rid of the blood infection. Then I had to go through, you know, additional infusions to get rid of the infect.
Speaker 1: See do me your favorite team. I'm running out of time, but please call earlier. You called late. I'm fat out of time.
Speaker 8: Okay, sorry, I'll call you at your number.
Speaker 6: I'll call you up.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks to talk to you soon. We're done for the night, Rob great Brooks. Thank you, Rob Brooks, great job. Thank you very much, but re do a great job. Back tomorrow night at at eight o'clock. Back tomorrow at four thirty be character will send me tomorrow afternoon be producing the program, and of course I will be due. I will be on Facebook in just a couple of minutes. All dogs on cats O pets going to heaven. That's why Pal Charlie Rays, who passed fourteen years ago in February, that's what all your pets are who passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe we'll see them again. Hope see you in tomorrow night or night side. Thank you for listening and most importantly, thank you for calling. Good night everyone,