Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome to the Tolkien Road. John here, Greta.
Speaker 2: How you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, I'm doing pretty good. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's been a bit of busy last like twenty four hours for me, but I have emerged from the darkness of my work emergency ready to record another episode. So hi for what.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that you have emerged.
Speaker 1: I for two. I'm glad. Yeah, yes, episode one six Spiritual Insights from Tolkien that will change your life. So that's what we're gonna be talking about today. Let me begin by saying that we were supposed to record this episode, was supposed to be with David Bates from Pines with Jack the cs Lewis Podcast, but unfortunately, because of my work emergency, we had to kind of I didn't get the time to prepare that I normally get, so we had to reschedule that with David. So we will be doing that episode hopefully, you know, sometime in the next you know, next few episodes here pretty soon. So you should go check out Pines with Jack regardless. If you are a Tolkien fan, then you should know more about C. S. Lewis, and you might already be a CS Lewis fan and therefore you should just go check it out anyway, So word check it. Thanks to our patrons as always, you guys rock. And if you are not a patron and would like to become a patron, head on over to tolkienoad dot com slash donate or go to patreon dot com slash Tolkien Road and you can become a patron. Don't take a lot, We'll take what you can give, right, Yeah, that's the way it works.
Speaker 3: That's the way it works.
Speaker 1: And hey, by the way, uh, when you're able to when you're able to donate, you get me that much closer to being able to devote more time to doing the Tolkien Roads, so I don't have to cancel uh guest appearances at the last minute. Then maybe we're looking forward to So oh I like, I like how you spun that little little sales pitch there. Yeah right, yeah, chi ching rolling in let it rain, all right, So please also rate us on iTunes. Head on over there, leave us a five star rating and say some nice things about us.
Speaker 3: Please nice be nice keyword there is nice. Yeah, kind we're nice be nice here, but still kind yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Kind of world needs a lot more nice people right now.
Speaker 3: You need a lot of nice people.
Speaker 1: All right, we'd love to hear from you. Send us correspondence at Tolkien Roadpodcast at gmail dot com, or go to our website. Leave a comment on the episode you listen to. Uh, you can leave comments on past episodes anyone you want to, so you know, if you're one of those people who's catching up or caught up or you know, something like that. It's always weird because people catch up and then they you know, they maybe had all these comments and didn't know about like where things stand now. We're trying to make it become more of a podcast where you can be in touch with what we're doing right now, but also go back and listen to the old episodes. So I don't know if that works super well from our listener's perspective, maybe we need to start like a separate spinoff podcast that's more of like what's happening now? I don't know, but anyway, you lost me anyway, never mind? Then okay, all right? Facebook, Twitter, Yeah all that, So then speak Pipe, don't forget about speak Pipe. You can send us a voicemail via speak Pipe on the website, and if you do you will be heard on the next episode, your voice and everything, all right, don't forget to head on over to YouTube and subscribe to the Tolkien Road channel over there. There's an eight part guide to the Filmarillion. That is our newest thing over there, and we're gonna be doing more more videos coming over there. I should really say me because Greta has no desire to participate in the YouTube aspect of things, which I you know, I can't blame her for, but you know, I think she would be a star over there.
Speaker 3: But you know you're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm quite content with the podcast.
Speaker 1: More glory, more glory for me.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's right, and it's deserved glory.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you? Yeah, okay, all right, I will. So we're going to be current planning for the next few episodes were we will get back to that episode with David Bates of Pintes with Jack before too long, and we are on the on next the next one. We're planning to look into Tolkien's political views. So last episode we looked at Tolkien's it was called Tolkien versus the Nazis, and it was, you know, look into his real like contempt and you know, uh, just disdain for Nazi and race racist ideology, and uh, I thought that was pretty fascinating exploration, Greta. This one is going to be this We're going to look at his actual I guess you could call them positive political views, not that he was a particularly political version person. He certainly wasn't an activist, but he still did express a lot of interesting things in his letters. And I think there's other there's other things we can explore from his own works, like other aspects of his fictional works that could maybe speak to what his if he had a political philosophy, like what might it have looked like?
Speaker 3: So oh, so we're gonna talk politics.
Speaker 1: Well, not not politics in a contemporary sense, okay, because we really try to steer clear of like.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, I hate politics, we'll hate them, you and me, you and me both, but but more of like what did his political because once upon a time, like political philosophy.
Speaker 1: Like you know, was I don't know, it seemed a little more thoughtful than it does now, like and and I just think from what I know of his views, I think it'll think I think it'll be a pretty interesting topic and help us get closer, uh, you know, again to his own heart, which is a lot of what this podcast is about. Okay, fair enough, So just come to it with an open mind, and you know, no no hackles or anything like that. We're not going to get into any modern politics or anything like that. It's just gonna be more of a discussion of you know what, what what were his general views in that area? So all right, and then we'll also we'll be doing some other interesting things, and then we've got a two hundredth episode coming up. Well I've got something I think a little fun planned for that. Oh not too fun, too boring to be too fun, but but fun in my book. And then lots of third age discussion coming after that. So yeah, all right, sounds good. All right, So, Greta, we're going to talk about this little thing I made called six Spiritual Insights from Reading Tolkien. It's actually six spiritual insights from Tolkien that will change your life. So I want to say that this is actually a little mini book, mini guide PDF thing that I made a few years ago, and I lost track of it for a while, but then I was I found it and I wanted to get it back out there for people to have. If you'd like this, you can head on over to tolkienoad dot com slash spirit and that's where you can find the guide and find out how to download it over there. So that's all you gotta go tolkienrooad dot com slash spirit and you can check that out and follow along with our discussion, or if you listen to our discussion, just go and then you like it and you want to know more about what's what's in there, head on over that tolkienoad dot com slash spirit. So all right, all right, so it's you know, and here's the other thing. It's been a pretty dark few weeks, you know, especially here in the United States, and then this is of course coming on was already kind of a dark period in a lot of ways with the the COVID nineteen crisis, and that's really going on throughout the world. So I really think that, you know, one of the themes of Tolkien, one of the great spiritual themes of Tolkien is that out of tremendous darkness, out of the shadow, good arrives right like, like, we can find we can find the good, we can find unity, we can find we can find peace. We can find beautiful things right emerging from that darkness, true and lasting light. And that's that's one of the reasons that you know, I thought it might be a good time to spend a little time here because I think there's a lot of reasons to feel maybe discouraged. There's a lot of reasons to feel even despair for a lot of people right now. And Tolkien's worldview was one that went into you know, it really went into the depths of like some really dark places. But there's always that aspect of the greater light above it. There's always that aspect of this there's some light that sits above all the darkness, that's unquenchable and and that ultimately in the end will win right, that has the final say. Even when things look their darkness, that's maybe when it's about to turn right yep, in some magnificent way. So I you know, I just hope everybody in this in this episode can find what is that heroism that you're being called to, that like kind of ordinary heroism that you're being called to, and maybe this will help you find that. That's I know, that's what Tolkien has been to me in a lot of ways over the years. And one of the reasons I love his outlook so much is because he helps you. He helps you maybe better discern your path to being this ordinary hero, not not somebody who's like, look at me, I'm so awesome, you know, like like so many people can be these days. Right, you know, I'm so wonderful. You just need to follow me and I'll tell you how everything gets done. This was a guy who was just writing books and shared some thoughts, but wrote something beautiful because he kind of didn't care what everybody else thought. Right, But he followed his call, yep, and he did something amazing for the world. Right. So, so, yeah, why I wrote this, it's really this pdf, this little mini guide is really it's about what drew me. It what drew me to Tolkien in the first place. It's not really for me. It's never been for me about the the dungeons and dragons, if you will, right.
Speaker 3: The fantasy part of it is that what you yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like. And don't get me wrong, I like all that stuff. I think that stuff's cool, right yeah, but it's it's not like Tolkien exists for me. And you obviously know this. You'll obviously know this because this is episode one seven of a podcast just about Tolkien. But it's not like Tolkien is just like another like fantasy author. For me, there's something much greater, much deeper in his works than I find in most other works of that genre. And and I think a lot of the people who work in that genre would salute him in that way too, Right, So lost my place, All right, there we go, So I would call that why I wrote this is really I wanted to explore a little bit more and share with you all the philosophical, moral, and spiritual fibers of his works, right, those underlying, those underlying, undergirding aspects of the stories of Middle Earth and the other writings that he had, and get to things that can actually be transformative for our lives, right, that can actually pull us out of a dark place, that can actually give us hope for the future, that can transform who we are and help us find meaning, right, a deeper and greater meaning, right, and a lasting meaning to a meaning that even transcends death. Right. So, so that's where I'm coming from. Thoughts.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's I mean, no, I think it's good. Okay, I think I think that's a really beautiful even right on.
Speaker 1: Okay, first point, first section, Who we are subcreators?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: So what did this section say to you, Greta?
Speaker 3: Well, it basically said to me that, well, obviously, subcreation is a very Tolkenian term, right. It's the idea that that we all in some way participate in creation, obviously not in the original creation that was by God or in the Stilmarlion by heru, right, but that we all are called to to share our creative gifts in one way or another. And and that means different things for different people. So it's kind of it's something that we need to be on the lookout for, something that we need to be discerning, like what are my gifts? How can I contribute and positive way right to enhance and protect the creation that's that we have been given?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, here's that's good. Here's the here's the quote I picked out to support this and each each there's six sections in this thing, right, six insights U. Okay, So here's the quote I picked out for this first section on subcreators all. So great is the bounty with which man has been treated that he may now perhaps fairly dare to guess that in fantasy, he may actually assist in the affoliation and multiple enrichment of creation. That's like the last I think that's the very last line of on fairy Stories, or close to it. And it's it's a little bit I mean, Tolkien was nothing if he wasn't a little bit wordy at times. But if you break that quote down, it's really so beautiful because it talks it basically says that we as human beings have this incredible dignity that we get to participate in in the in the like and like the create, like the ultimate creative act. And and you're right, it's not like we're God and we made everything out of nothing, but at the same time, like we we seem to participate in in the creative act of God in a way that's utterly unique. Right, we do things as human beings that the other creatures on this planet, which is all the creatures we know about, are are.
Speaker 3: Incapable of becas we're made in the image of God. Right, and we all have immortal souls.
Speaker 1: Right, And and I would even go so far. You know, it's been a while since I actually wrote this, but as I've thought more about some different things, I would even go so far as to say that we are like creation. Creation is something that's in progress. Like there's a I read a really startling thought a little while ago that basically said, like, if you kind of break it down, we're not We're I'm not getting into like, you know, nobody misinterpret my words is the thing I'm getting to, like, you know, like literalism in the Bible or anything like that, Like a literalistic interpretation. But if we kind of just like look at you know, the the meaning, you know, the whatever you want to call it, the allegorical, their poetic meaning or whatever of the first text of the first chapter of Genesis. You've got these six days of creation, and on the sixth day you have man, and then on the seventh day God rests. And in that I read this amazing quote that basically put out there that like we still are in the sixth day. So in other words, like you see all seven days of history and then like on the seventh day God comes to arrest and everything seems to be all good, and that maybe we're still in that sixth day, right, that maybe we are in the process of being created ourselves, and part of that process is our own participation in creativity, right, Yeah, that part of and think about it. You see this reflected in the story of I know Linda, right in the story of the ire right, because he creates these beings that he then tasks with completing his creation, right, Yes, it is. Yeah, So I mean this gives this incredible it gives this incredible significance and this incredible dignity to you know, to the labor of our hands, and and and I think that extends not just to like kind of traditional things we think of as creative artistic endeavors and so forth, but I think it actually extends to you know, everything we give ourselves to as human beings.
Speaker 3: Right, all of our work, right, because not all of us are called to what is typically thought of as the creative you know, the creative pursuits, right, Whereas you know, I'm guilty of thinking of being creative as being well, I'm not a good writer, and I'm not a good you know, musician, and I don't draw.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a decent musician, okay, music, you give yourself enough credit there.
Speaker 3: I don't anyway, I don't consider myself the creative type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me say I feel you.
Speaker 3: But so it's really so I love that interpretation and being like, well, you know, I'm a nurse, so that's the gift, you know, I I am creat Like I don't have to be an artist, you know in the traditional sense to be an active participant in this you know, effort of subcreation, but that I am contributing in the work that I'm called to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boom, yeah. That that's I mean, that's exactly what I'm getting at, right, And I think there's something to be said. I think Leaf by Nigols shows us that maybe there was an inside that Tolkien head somewhere along the way that you know, it was like it's not just our like kind of the creative acts either, but like the the mo it's maybe like the moral acts, right, It's it's maybe the acts of heroism, the acts of uh, you know, the acts of self sacrifice that are perhaps like the even greater creative acts, right, that are the like highest creative acts we can actually partake in, right, because in doing so we give ourselves to the life of another right, We give ourselves for the life of another right.
Speaker 3: That is exactly the model that Christ laid up.
Speaker 1: Which if that's true, then motherhood is like you could possily have right, yes, so give yourself some credit. He's all, I'm saying, right, but I had a good thought and then I lost it. But anyway, you're a mean cook also, so uh, you're really good. So you're you know that's something I can't do well. All right, moving on, uh Insight number two, the way things really work. In letter eighty nine, Tolkien said, I remember saying aloud with absolute conviction, but of course, of course that's how things really do work. We actually did an episode on this particular letter.
Speaker 3: I believe I remember talking about that, and I remember the mental image that that. I still have that ment, whole image of Tolgan and riding his bike, you know, down the street in England, passed an infirmary, and then he's just like, ah, he has a light bulb right moment. He's like, oh, yeah, of course of course that's how things really do work.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: It's I just love like, I just I just love it. It's I just feel like it's classic Tolkien.
Speaker 1: I know, it's it's such it's such a great like mental image, you know, like yeah, you almost want there to be like a like a movie made about just like that one that one episode. Do you so you can see it for your with your own eyes. But yeah, his basic insight here is that resurrection is the way things really work. That and he spoke about this in other places. He he was riding, he was riding near an infirmary and he looks at this in front of infirmary. You know, we don't you normally use that word in the US. It's the hospital, right, it's a place for sick people. And and he's writing by this place which is maybe not thought of as a particularly like happy place, and then all of a sudden he just has this epiphany. It's like it came out of nowhere from heaven, right, and he just is like, of course that's the way things really work. Like death, Death doesn't have the final say, right, death is actually the thing that leads to new and greater life through the power of Christ's resurrection. Yep. And yeah, it's just a really it's just a really cool little episode in one of those things that like, I think it's so it's so important to remember. It's the thing that has been such a consolation to me as a Christian for so long, Right, is this this foundational thing that like death cannot hold the power of love and the power and the power of Christ right, and that in his own crucifixion it led to resurrection and broke up and broke up and the bonds of death right. It's set mankind free right. And so our lot, our lot in this lives, in this life, is to realize that freedom and to live in that freedom, live in the light of that freedom. Yeah, I live in the light of that freedom, all right. The next insight is number three, the cure for spiritual depression, So Tolkien said in letter two to fifty, the only cure for sagging of fainting faith is communion. So, at one point or another, we all go through periods of spiritual darkness in our lives. And you may call it depression, but I'd even go so far as to call it an existential bleakness, a period wherein the beliefs we've built our lives on are put to the test. But Tolkien was a big believer in the power of the Eucharist as a Catholic. It was the center of his faith, and so in letter two fifty he was right to one of his sons who was talking about his own sagging faith. I mean, this communion really communicates to us the closeness of of the closeness of Christ and the darkness of our lives right in the in the dark times we go to we go through. Can you agree with that? Yeah, yeah, totally, Yeah. I mean it's it's there's a reason it's such an important thing for you know, for Catholics, and it expresses that real presence that God is there, that God is there with us, and the quiet in the and you know, of whatever moment we find ourselves in that we always have access to Him, right, that we always have access to Him in the most intimateive ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I you know, I think even as a non Catholic, I believed that, like I knew, I truly believe that, you know, Jesus is everywhere and you can always talk to him and you know all that. But now as a Catholic and having the Eucharist and having access to adoration, it's you know, I mean, we are feeble human beings and it just really helped help the you know, you can know in your brain, but to be able to see, you know, to see that consecrated host and to be able to receive it know that like He's He's there, you know, I mean, it just helps. It helps be able to see it with your own two eyes. So I that that's been a huge, huge blessing for me as a Catholic. And if if I had, you know, if Catholic had said something like that to me before I was Catholic, I would have been I wouldn't have gotten it, like at all. But so it's something I feel like you definitely have to experience to to truly believe. But but you know, it just it helps with that whole faith thing because having faith is hard. And being able to see just you know, to actually see something that we believe is Jesus is you know, body, blood, soule, divinity is it's a huge lift for the spirit and the soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be able to receive it as well. Absolutely, yeah, that's even better. Right. So and it's uh, you know, it's food for the journey, it is, right.
Speaker 3: It's like what was that's the the Elven bread that they live on in their journey.
Speaker 1: It's I mean I was thinking of that, but now I can't think of Limbus Limbus. That's it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it's our Limbus.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, all right, number four insight Number four, evil shall be good to have been? WHOA No, Right?
Speaker 3: I read that twice? I was like, wait, did I read that right?
Speaker 1: This is from the Silmarllion, chapter eleven. Even as Aeru spoke to us, shall beauty, not before conceived, be brought into Ai, and evil yet be good to have been? And I think that's a quote from Manwey. And and this is after the course the great all the great catastrophes of vallan Or that caused the knoll door to leave, murder, destruction of the trees theft of the summerules, all these horrible things. And Manwey, looking back on all of this, says, even as Aero spoke to us, shell, beauty not before conceived, be brought into Ai, and evil yet be good to have been. So there's this real mystery that is all through Tolkien's works, and it's this idea that evil is never a good thing in and of itself. Right, And by this statement, he's not saying like, well, you should go commit acts of evil because that leads to good. But what he's saying is that when evil befalls us, and even when even when we find ourselves looking back and saying I did something evil, right and feel kind of ashamed of that. Right that even through that, there is a greater good that can and will emerge, right that we don't that we don't yet know. And that's that's related to that creative power of God, right, right.
Speaker 3: I mean we see that even just through the you know, the Crucifixion, which is you know, that was the worst You would think that that would be the worst possible thing that could ever happen, right, man killing God, But look at all the good. You know, Without the Crucifixion, we don't have the resurrection, right, right, So it can be hard, you know, especially in those dark moments, to really hold true to that, that that faith that oh this, you know, good will come from this. We might not always see it, you know, but it's we just have to have the faith that it's that's what's going to happen eventually in some way or another, absolutely, and believe that our ways are are not God's ways, and God's ways are much bigger and better than ours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we see this. We see this in a big way also in the story of Frodo, and you know, the fact that he has to go through all these evils, but we see this just incredible story of haro Is that emerges.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: It's it's really this this one is just really it's especially hard to grasp this when we're actually experiencing a painful evil, when you're in the valley of the Shadow of death. Nothing about it seems good. And but yet we have this testimony, we have this witness, right, and and Tolkien's works witness to this truth, right, And it was something I think that he reflected upon greatly in his own life. So and and even through all of that, we have we have this assurance, if you go back to number two, right, that resurrection is the way things really work. We have this assurance that even through all of that, that that that that the evil never has the final say right over any of it, right, that nothing is actually lost, right, nothing can be lost in the end, right because evil has been conquered exactly all right. Number five of Christianity is history's plot, so he says, in unfairy stories, the Gospels contain a fairy story or a story of a larger kind, which embraces all the essence of fairy stories. But this story has entered history in the primary world. The birth of Christ is the YU catastrophe of man's history. The resurrection is the catastrophe EU catastrophe of the story of the incarnation. For you know, for those of you who who aren't who aren't Christians, who are listening, you know, we say this not to be controversial, not to provoke, but but to say like that this was an idea that was central to Tolkien's own outlook. This is an idea that was central to you know, his the things that drove him to create The Lord of the Rings right and his other works. But it also you know, it that that little bit right there he talks about in the context of YOUU catastrophe. So you know, we've talked, we've talked a good bit about the resurrection already. But this reminds us that like history, like human history, actually has a plot, right, that it's actually a story that that we're inhabiting. Each of us has our own individual stories too, which reflect this story, right, yep. But in the greater sense history Christianity is is the plot of history. So got any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's so like, I mean, I feel like we could talk for an episode just on that alone.
Speaker 1: Right, So I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get us started on that, but that it is a it's yeah, I mean, the Gospels, it's just central to to everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an interesting I mentioned something in this section that says Tolkien cared so much about the Gospel story that he viewed the stories of Middle Earth as a sort of precursor to it. And so we've done episodes where it talks about the significance of March twenty fifth for Tolkien, the date of the One the date the One Ring is destroyed. March twenty fifth is the date of the Annunciation, which is literally the day of the incarnation date, the kind of traditional date of the incarnation, and it's in the traditional date of the Crucifixion as well in some reckonings.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know, and of course Good Friday shifts based on the year, but if it but there's some that believe it did fall on March twenty fifth because and that's possible because we know it fell within the week of Passover, So it just depends on what year it actually happened. So number six, the last insight here is true power.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So in letter one thirty one, Tolkien says the wheels of the world are often turned not by the lords and governors, even gods, but by the seemingly unknown and weak. So this is just again another one of those incredibly encouraging thoughts to say that, like, you know, so many of us so often feel so small and helpless and weak compared to all the powerful, power, powerful people we see in the world, and all of the people who are super famous and super rich and all this kind of stuff. And all those people have their own stories too, and they have their roles to play. But what Tolkien says here is that it's really not those people that you know, you think of as being the most important people in the world that are actually the most important people in the world. But it's actually it's actually the little people. It's the people who you wouldn't give a second thought to mm hmm. It's the protos and the SAMs exactly. And that's all because and I mean, think about what a tremendous theme of that is. And you know, the Gandalf is the only one who who recognizes the important role that the Hobbits are going to play right, and everybody else is just like, oh, they're these like backwards little people that you know who cares about them? Right right? And you know, Gandalf recognizes this. So there's wisdom in recognizing this. There's wisdom in saying, like, wait a minute, maybe I shouldn't care so much about what, uh you know, this politician or that politic or this celebrity or that celebrity or you know this talking head or that talking head thinks about anything, but maybe I should actually like be attending to the you know, the little the little people in my life, the insignificance in my life right in paying them a little more attention, right. I know, as a father, this is something that comes back to me often because I'm always so busy in my work and and I'm just you know everyone, so I have to step back and just say, like, wait a minute, My greatest responsibility is like to my kids. Like I don't think I can ever go wrong by spending too much time with him, but I like find so many excuses not to and not because I want to, but because I feel like all this other stuff is kind of more important.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyway, convicting thought I guess totally. Yeah, any final thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Uh No, I mean I think, yeah, I mean, it's so contradictory, I think to how our society views power, right and the powerful, and it can be really challenging to take that step back and and you know, have that more Tolkienyan perspective on who is it you know that I should really be listening to that I should really be paying attention to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one is really like a great examination of conscience, like just to be like just every day to think, like, have I cared too much about like all the stuff that's going on in the world that I can't do anything about, or have I actually like just tried to work at the things that are actually like something I can do, right? Yeah? Right, m h.
Speaker 3: Because everybody, I mean doesn't everybody want to be like the hero, right that like rushes off to to you know, to help tsunami victims and you know like feed the poor and third world countries and there's are I mean, we need people to do that for sure, for sure, but I know it can be it can be easy for people to get down on themselves when they can't do that for whatever reason they don't. They don't have their their work doesn't allow them to do that, or they have too many responsibilities at home or whatever. And so just being able to reorder your perspective and be like, you know what, my mission field is right here, and finding those opportunities to serve where you are, to bloom where you're planted. To choose a rather cliche phrase.
Speaker 1: But bloom bloom.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: All right, nice, good thoughts, Thanks, good stuff. So that's it. That's the sixth Spiritual Insights, you guys. So there's actually a lot more food for thought in the in the actual guide itself. We just kind of skimmed the surface of it in this little discussion. So I encourage you to head on over again to Tolkien Road dot com slash spirit and you can find out how to how to actually get this little guide for yourself and read through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good read.
Speaker 1: I hope you you all enjoy it, and I hope you all do it, and I hope you all enjoy it, so please do. So that's pretty much all we got for this week. I do want to get one quick letter because we're trying to get a letter every week. This one's from Evan d. He says, Hello, John, after hearing your tentative theories, I have come to a conclusion on this that I think explains that I think explains this, and so the subject of the email is my thoughts upon Thorn's making more important the role of a mother's figure and growing up. He says, Hobbits are largely agrarian and similar to early English life. Why would this not be reflected in child rearing? At that time, child rearing was a largely maternal duty, from punishment to praise until a child learned a trade or worked either under a tradesman or their father. Morality, seriousness, and other major formative thresholds for the mother's business. Maternal parenting became soft if you will in recent history. Before the mid to late eighteen hundreds, mothers beat and whip their children as they saw fit for discipline. Tough love was the only way for much of history ergo. Learning the harshness of the world and having a man made of oneself, if you will, was maternal duty. Hence thorn seemingly nonsensical statement, my best to you and those close to you, Evan. That's good, Yeah, really good. So again, like this is in the context of that question of I think it was originally raised by Maryland, the librarian of like why is why do is in the Quest of Arab or why does Thorn say that his mother died too early when they're talking about he's talking about how soft he is, and he's saying his mother died and so this is this is an interesting thought in one I hadn't really thought of, but I can definitely, I can definitely see that as as a possibility.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, that would have been the mother's responsibility, right to what those boys into shape in the field.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, that's right. Yeah, very good stuff, Evan, Thank you Evan. All right, well, I think that's all we've got time for this week. Everybody, so appreciate you listening. Special thanks to our patrons. Oh let me let me remind you don't again. We were supposed to do with David Bats today. We will get to him from Pines with Jack. Head on over to Pines with Jack and start listening to that podcast, and then we'll look forward to our episode with David in a few weeks. So I'm excited about that special. Thanks to our patrons, you guys, Rock and especial thanks, double special, thanks to our five dollars more patrons, Eric B, Daniel P. David B. Chuck f Ish of the Hammer, Chris L, James L. Zekeef, James A.
Speaker 3: Amelio, P.
Speaker 1: Shannon S. Teresa c Azia, B. Brian O, Robert B.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, Thanks you all, Thanks all.
Speaker 1: Of our patrons absolutely and thanks to all of our listeners. We will talk at you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 1: The paper fire had to be paper, say