Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to a new episode of the Poker Go Podcast. My name is Donny Peters. It is Thursday, August twentieth. It's gonna be at least Friday when you guys are listening to this thing, because I'm recording this late before I get it off to producer Rich to get out there on the airwaves for all of you. Fun. Episode ahead, I'm joined by my friend and veteran poker media member, Lance Bradley. We're going to discuss the w s AP being back on ESPN. We're going to discuss the ratings from the final table. Lance broke those ratings, so we'll get into that, and then a bunch more stuff from my conversation with Lance. Great guy, love him, and you know we've we've been through We've been through a lot together in terms of these poker media streets, right We've been in the trenches. So it's good to have Lance on. I also have some thoughts later on in the episode on something that I'm missing in poker. You know, I was having this feeling the other day when I was in the car, so I'll touch on that. I do want to hit on the health of live poker and then we got today the full schedule for the WSP Paradise series down in the Bahamas taking place in December. We knew the dates, okay, we didn't know the full schedule. We have that now and I've got some thoughts there. Before we get into all of that, a quick note that High Stakes Poker is going live for seven straight days on poker Go August twenty fifth through thirty first. It is presented by Coin Poker. We'll be live from the Poker gro Studio in Las Vegas. There are some big names in the mix. A bunch more of these names are to come, you know. I just can't give them out just yet. You're going to have to see him as they roll out in these next couple of days, or tune into the live streams to see who is in the seats. But I can't tell you that Andrew Robol is back. He's bringing his crew for a bunch of the days. Alejandro Lococo is going to be in the mix. Rick Solomon is returning to High Stakes Poker. Rick is always a lot of fun and a lot of action, so be sure to check that out. It's not the first time that High Stakes Poker has gone live, but I do believe it is the first time that it will be live streamed for seven consecutive days. Every single day is live. It's gonna be freaking awesome. Plus yours truly has got the call to do some commentary for the first couple of days.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know you guys probably want to hear Nick Schulman in the booth and I am nowhere near Nick Schulman, but I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it. The live version is different than you know, the post produced episodes, which we're going to get Nick on all that sort of stuff. Aj and Nick will continue to do that, so I think I think we're planning on Ali Najade and Nick Shulman for the bulk of the live streams over this week of upcoming live streams, but myself and Brent Hanks will be handling the first I think two or three of them, and I'm pretty pumped about that. You know, it's going to be a lot of fun. So if you guys like high stakes action, if you like poker, tune the hell in. Let's go August twenty fifth through thirty first high Stakes Poker. We're doing it live seven days straight. First up on today's show, We've got Lance Bradley. I wanted to get his perspective on this new era of the WSP. That that new era this is now. You know, poker has returned to ESPN. We went through an entire summer under this new era. We got the w s AP main event ratings. We had the first part of the ratings. Now we have the rest of the ratings come out of the final table. Lance and I talked about, you know what worked, what can get better? He put an article out there that was, you know, his biggest winners and losers. I asked him about his favorite stories, all that sort of stuff. That's all in the conversation with Lance. So let's get into that, all right. I'd now like to welcome in Lance Bradley, good friend of mine, longtime colleague of mine as well, and who many of you in the poker world likely know as veteran poker media member, award winning journalist, now author of the Overlay newsletter on Substack. I am a subscriber. You guys should be too, Lance. You also spent the summer writing or covering the WSP for ESPN. You handled a bunch of feature writing there throughout the series. How are you doing? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's good to be here. It's you're in the middle of the Vegas desert at one hundred and ten degrees with no humidity, and I'm in one hundred and five degrees here in Atlanta with like one thousand percent community. So on the heat a little bit, but glad to be home from Vegas, for sure.
Speaker 1: I think I would take one ten no humidity, maybe even one fifteen. No humidity versus humidity.
Speaker 2: Depends on what you're doing. I play in a roller hockey league here in town, and it's outdoors, and we have a game tonight at nine o'clock that it will be like skating in a swamp, like you're skating through gravy. It's awful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's sounds like torture. Absolutely sounds like torture. All right, So we're going to talk about you know, ws AP on ESPN. This is why I wanted to have you on. You were by everything that I can see, the person who broke the ratings for the for the final table. You know, there's been a there's been a lot of different stories out there, you know, picking up what you initially wrote. First, you know, these are the ratings for the EPISODEV Men Event Final Table on ESPN, So we're going to touch on that and yeah, just have a general conversation.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you'd be surprised how hard ratings information is to come by in twenty twenty six. It's uh. It took a lot of uh prodding to get it out of a few people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I I obviously work in the content side of things, being with Poker Go, and pretty much every day since the Final Table ended, I was searching around online trying to find it. I was on social media going to you know, awful announcing see if they might have posted something. I'm doing, I'm doing everything, and then finally I saw your thing pop up, and I was like, oh, finally somebody did the heavy lifting for me. So thank you for doing that for all of us out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you saw the numbers. I know we're going to get into it in a little bit, but I think there's a lot of conversation out there about it, and I think some of it lacks a little bit of context, which I think is the hard part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get into the ratings. I do want to start with, you know, kind of just just general overarching WSB's return to ESPN, because because that was a lot of a lot of talk heading into the summer, It's going to be back on ESPN throughout the summer, of course, obviously during the lead up to the Final Table and during the final Table. So you know, now that we have had, you know a little bit of time to digest everything from the summer, you know what are kind of just your overall thoughts about the dubs it be making its way back to ESPN.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me put a bit of a qualifier on this, just so that everybody listening is understands the what I did for ESPN the summer. I was ready for ESPN dot com, which is an entirely different beast an organization than the ESPN broadcast group. Like they're they're the same brand, and they definitely have some interaction, but for the most part, like I was separate from the production, so I don't have any inside information on the production or on the TV show. But I think the overall return to ESPN was wins and losses, right, I think there was. I don't think it was ever going to live up to the hype of returning to ESPN in its first year. I think it's going to get there. I think there's potential to get there. But I think anybody on the production side is probably looking at twenty twenty six as what did we learn? What can we do better?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting because I think a lot of people I'm talking just kind of general poker audience, whether that be fans or players, once they saw WSP back on ESPN leading into the summer, everyone just kind of thought, at least at least in my opinion, from reading some of this stuff on social media, like we're back, almost as if like we're back in two thousand and eight, and you know, we know that, like no, first of all, poker's changed. Second of all, everything in the world has changed since that heyday of you know, the boom days, right, and you know, ESPN isn't as big as it once was, but but you know, cable in general isn't as big as it once was. Like it's there's a whole separate side topic with everything, you know, but it is interesting that you know, just so many people just I guess kind of expected it to be what it once was, and it's it's I almost just want to tell them like you're setting yourself up for a letdown because you're you're keeping these expectations when something has just changed so drastic, and we want this to be positive. We don't want to look at it and say, hey, this wasn't what it once was, because then that's a negative thought process coming out of it. When at the end of the day, it's almost like, yes, it is back on ESPN. But it's almost like you'd rather say it like the ws AP is going to ESPN, because back on makes you think, Okay, back on this is what it once was. That's what I expect it to be versus this one where I think it's kind of a new era and in a lot of ways. So you know, I guess long and short of it is, you know, how how different do you think it felt compared to you know, previous times and if people want to, you know, look back on you know, the old days of it.
Speaker 2: I mean when you mentioned two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, that those being the like glory days, right, two thousand and nine, too million people watched Jokada Win. They may have event on ESPN, but that was seventeen, eighteen years ago, like we're in a different world now. It's a There are kids born that year who just moved into their college dorm room for the first like it was forever ago. In poker timelines. The way that I think you have to look at it is that the WSOP of twenty twenty six is a startup. It's a startup with a fifty six year old brand, fifty seven year old brand attached to it. So I understand that it's not just like a brand new company launching and coming out of nowhere. But there's a whole bunch of new people on the ESPN side, there's a whole bunch of new people on the WSOP side, and they brought in a new production company to produce the product. So for the most part, it was probably seventy five to eighty percent sort of new thinking, new people handling it. That being said, everybody understood the assignment at the base level was that you've got to tap into the nostalgia of those glory days in the broadcast product. So Long and Norm are back and they're carrying on the things they did. You know, in twenty nineteen, it was still on ESPN, that's that's not that long ago. Pre COVID. The end of that run, right was the twenty I guess the twenty twenty WSLP main event was on ESPN, But twenty nineteen was the last full production year where we had a full main event, so I think they tapped into the nostalgia just enough. I think they listened to a bunch of people that said, hey, you've got to bring back things like the Nuts, and they did. They figured out ways to get poker players away from the table in an effort to tell the story of somebody you want to cheer for or somebody you might recognize, like Chris Moneymaker was involved in that Nuts segment specifically because a vast majority of the casual flip and channels what's on ESPN tonight audience is going to recognize Chris Moneymaker, So they figured out that they had to tap into that sort of the old school way of doing things on ESPN, and they are trying to modernize it a little bit with bringing Nick and Ali almost full time by the end of the main event broadcast. So I think the score you get on an overall is like a C plus because I think they did some things really well, but I also think they missed the market a bunch of things. But the overall like does this feel like it did on ESPN ten years ago? Yep, that's an a for me.
Speaker 1: How important do you think it is to I guess, sort of split the audiences and then pick one that you're going to go after, Meaning, you know, are they sitting in the production room saying like, Okay, we need to tap into the nostalgia side of things. We need to bring it back to what it once was, to capture that casual viewer, which in a lot of ways is going to I guess, for lack of a better term, alienate like the current hardcore viewer, which I think you saw some of on social media. On the other side of things, if you lean into the hardcore is too much, you then might turn off the casual viewer. So trying to walk that line has got to be I would say, next to impossible. So you know, like, how important do you think approaching just attacking one side of it is in this overall thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's really hard to tackle one side because you can't ignore the other side. When I was writing my features for ESPN dot com with an editor before I even did the first interview or put the first question down on paper. And this editor, Pierre, he was fantastic. He was the voice in the room of the person who watched the WSPN ESPN ten years ago, five years ago, seven years ago. And you know, a lot of my writing, you know this, A lot of my writing, a lot of my work over my career is for the hardcore poker fan. Someone who's reading bluff, reading pocket vives is already into poker in a big way, and they're finding my stuff that way. So this was a real change for me. And it was eye opening in the sense of, like Pierre was saying to me, like, you've got to write to me the people who read your stuff before, they're going to find your stuff. But we've got to find a way to get the guy who watched he didn't even know that it moved to CBS Sports where no one could see it, right, and he's rediscovering it on a Wednesday night in August or in July for the first time. What can you write to make that guy feel re engaged with the product, re engage with the WSP, with the players. So I think you've got to find a way to thread the line. It is tricky because you don't want to ignore things that have happened in the last six eight years, right, the players that have emerged, the stars that have come out. But you also know that the people that are at home in late July or on vacation and just flicking the TV on to put something on and find Poker, they're going to recognize helping you, Nigra on you, Ivy money Maker, et cetera. So you've got to find a way to do a little bit of a little bit of that balancing act between sticking with those guys but also telling stories of new people so that next year you can reinforce that story.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean I agree, you know, it's it's certainly very hard, you know, to walk that line and do both things. I mean, especially in today's world when everyone has a trigger in their hand ready to just fire off takes on social media and let you know how they they think about things. And you know, you and I both know as as the audience knows, you know, the the poker social media globe is. I mean, they fire off takes like it's their job, you know, so we we see all that you know, in like right in front of our faces all summer long. There was you know a lot of talk from from the w SP side of things, you know, like from Jeff Platt or whoever it may be, even Daniel Legrand, et cetera, saying things like, you know, this is kind of just year one of this new era that we're bringing back. There's gonna be a lot of improvement going forward. There's gonna be some growth, you know, just stick with us. We're in this for the long haul. The ESPN deal itself is a multi year deal like all of that. So I guess how much of what we saw this year year was really just that, as you called it, which I think is a great term, a startup, you know, Like, how much is it just this this is the year one product, This is what we first put out there in front of the consumer, and we're still going to have to figure it out.
Speaker 2: As we go. Yeah, I'd say it's probably fifty to fifty, right. I think the voices in the room that are that have been around for years, we're probably hurt. But I also think that the new people that you know, the gg's poker side brought in, we're also very very very hurt, almost to their detriment, maybe a little bit. I think what you're going to see moving forward is the attitude that we can be dedicated to doing things the way we want to do them, but also understanding that our audience is may have a different opinion, and we've kind of got to walk back a little bit, and we've got to have the audience reciprocate a little bit and meet us closer to the middle. I think next year you're going to see, in terms of just the live streaming, not just the ESPN product. With the live streaming, you're going to see all the bracelets on on livestream. I think it's they learned quickly that people are more interested, particularly the WSP in watching people in bracelets, watching final tables, watching the stars at these final tables, as opposed to watching day two of yet another high roller. So my hope is that the audience comes forward a little bit, that the production side moves back a little bit, and we eventually, you know, year two, Year three, really are landing in a place where not everybody's happy, because that's impossible, but there is, you know, some admiration from both sides.
Speaker 1: Let's get into these ratings a little bit here. You know, you wrote about the ratings over on your newsletter on substack the overlay, great name, by the way, I always always loved it. You talked about, you know, Night one, which so for those that you know may have been living under a rock, Night one of the final Table was on ESPN two. Nights two and three were on ESPN one or just ESPN as they call it, correct if I'm wrong, But couldn't find ratings for the first night because they were off the sheet or too low, so you kind of estimated it.
Speaker 2: So the way that the ratings information that I got works is they just show you the top one hundred shows by viewership in the eighteen to forty nine demographic. Now that doesn't mean those are the top one hundred most popular shows. It just means that in the demographic that advertisers really genuinely care about, that's where they fall. And the ESPN two broadcasts of Night one didn't hit the top one hundred, so sort of estimated based on where the bottom of that list was and what an ESPN two product would normally do on that night, and really just said it's somewhere between one hundred and fifty thousand viewers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess my thought there the first thing that stuck out to me just you know, again, I've been in this industry long enough. On the content side of things, I know, the ratings side, I would say that just looking at the eighteen to forty nine, I know that's what's available, but the poker audience also skews generally a little bit older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that number is actually the entire audience, not just the eighteen to forty nine. It just means that the number didn't fall within the top one hundred eighteen to forty nine. The number that I'm projecting in there, that is the entire audience, which is what the next two numbers also are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it moves over to ESPN. You know, that's that's the main channel. That's what everyone knows, you know. So and the numbers jump. Of course, they also jump because there's fewer people in the tournament, there's more money to be won. It's a little bit you know, it's deeper in the final table like all that sort of stuff. And they jump at least three x you know, based on the estimation, if not a little bit more foreigner in fifty one thousand, and then the second or sorry, the third night or the second night on ESPN, they jump up to almost six hundred thousand, So you know, I guess, just what are your thoughts on the jump? And then kind of when you first saw those numbers, like what was your reaction? Is this good? Is this bad? Were they what you expe I did you know all that?
Speaker 2: So the first thing I thought was like, how does ESPN think? And I didn't. I didn't have any inside information, nobody told me anything. But when I looked at the night one numbers, not being in the top one, hunters like that can't be good, Like that's not a good start. But then I was able to go back and look at previous Monday nights on ESPN two, and barring a situation where they get something running over from ESPN onto ESPN two, traditionally doesn't fall in the top one hundred anyway, ESPN two somewhere is I've been told somewhere between one hundred and one hundred and fifty. So it's it's really not going to drive huge ratings anyway. You're not going to get that casual viewer who lands on it and stops there right, So even the previous week and it didn't fall within the top one hundred. Whatever was on the air on ESPN two that night didn't hit. Now, the move to ESPN was significant, obviously because it gives you a good lead in the third night. I think it was we had a Major League Baseball game, was the lead in. It was a Brwise game, if I'm not mistay, or a Pirates game, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I recall you putting it out there that the sweat is on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't want to seggs in nine innings because extra innings would have moved to ESPN two, right, or stalled the broadcast, which means that the end might have to get moved to final if it falls outside the window. So thankfully they got done pretty quick there. But that lead in is is certainly significant. To think anybody who's spent time talking to somebody in TV knows that what's on right before my show is almost as important as Mutt show. If there's no one watching, there's no one there to stick around and at least check out the first ten to fifty minutes of the WSP. So, but I think the you know that four hundred and fifty thousand number. It doesn't sound great like you compare it to Joe Kata in two thousand and nine, which is the one that I mentioned in the newsletter, but one that was in November two. There was no such thing as streaming back then at the scale that it is now, right, No one was let me throw on Netflix or Hulu or Disney Plus or Apple TV and watch something else, right, So the choices were a little bit more restricted back then. That being said, the number the week after on the Tuesday night on ESPN was a WNBA game, and it was a record setting WNBA game for ESPN at the time, which was two million viewers. So if you think about that, the WSOP in its first year back in five years on ESPN, with frankly not a lot of promotion from the WSP or ESPN in terms of like hyping up this particular broadcast moment other than a little bit of social media, it did a quarter of that. And the WNBA has highlights on ESPN constantly and they're constantly talking about the product. So the fact that we hit like one quarter of that record audience, I think is like, it's not I'm not saying it's it's a parallel, but it tells me that it's got some potential to really turn into something for ESPN.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, And I mean I think also, like again, we're in a way, we're resetting. Poker's resetting. Like, yes, it is back on ESPN. But I think you're I mean, a fool for thinking it's just going to pick up right where it left off. Right, It's just just not going to do that.
Speaker 2: There was years where the broadcast on CBS Sports, the live broadcast at the final table, got fifty thousand people watching. We're ten x that. Right now, we're twelve x that. I mean, we should be at least feeling a little bit of relief that there's no longer just a fifty thousand person audience for this.
Speaker 1: Well, that's where I have my bone to pick with you. It was never live on CBS. It was always edited.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true. Yeah, the main event was always that prepackaging.
Speaker 1: So I think the benefit my only gripe is comparing live ESPN versus edited CBS Sports Network is not exactly Apple staffles.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I think the I mean the benefit and this is one of the things I wanted to mention about the two products on ESPN. One is the live product of those three nights. The other is those one hour post production Lawn and norm As the Stars. I think they did two episodes out of the final table. The value of those is not in the first time they air. The value in those is in the fact that they're going to air on a random Wednesday night when baseball gets rained out in September or when there's ESPN two is going to put it on when there's hockey on ESPN and they don't want to have some massive competing thing, but they're going to put this on and anybody who doesn't want to watch Hockey Team prod on. It's that repetition that's going to get the audience back over time. That's the investment that you have to make in the short to near term is getting that show back on in September, in October, December, January, and then next year when they return to the live product when we're promoting the live streams on YouTube. They've got that sort of audience that is like, oh yeah, yeah, I remember watching Lucas Junelan when the main event on ESPN, So they're a little bit more in tune and a little bit more comfortable to tune in.
Speaker 1: I guess my question where my mind goes next? And I don't even know if we necessarily have an answer for this right now, but just thinking out loud, is what's the end goal with it? Right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Where what do we hope comes out of a successful WSP on ESPN partnership, Because there are two sides of it, right Like, I think the playing community would want a lot of people to see it back on ESPN and then a lot of people to get their butts in seats to ultimately play right, But that might not necessarily be the goal from the business side of things, because on the business side of things, I can make the argument that all you want to do is raise the ratings and the viewership numbers so that you can sell ads, and it doesn't really matter ultimately if the WSP main event stays stagnant at nine two hundred and eight entries year over year, like that doesn't really matter. That said, I think the playing community might look at it being like like, if next year, let's say the WSP miniment gets nine thousand, so two hundred and eight less entries, the playing community might be like, why are we back on ESPN if we got fewer numbers. But like, it's they're two different things, you know what I mean. Like, I think I don't think the playing community necessarily looks into the business side of things versus the business side of things trying to do obviously what's good for the business. I get it, you want to drive revenue, right, So I guess what is the end goal? What is the hope that like poker can achieve from them?
Speaker 2: I think it's it's a little bit twofold, right if you understand how let's say the NFL TV rights deals work. ESPN goes the NFL and says we're going to give you a billion dollars for five years of NFL rights and we get one game a week. It didn't work that way with the WSP on ESPN, Right, It's the opposite, where the WSP basically buys airtime from ESPN to put their product there. And the hope is that you make that investment now and over time you turn it the other way so that you've got the opportunity to go to espnsa let's do a revshare deal where we don't pay you to put it on, but we're gonna split the cost fifty to fifty, and we'll split the AD revenue fifty to fifty. Your AD sales team can go nuts. Our ad sales team can go nuts, and we'll actually try and turn this into a profitable TV entity. I think if you can get it to break even, I think GG poker does backflips up and down the Las Vegas Strip. That being said, it's got to drive interest in the overall product. And you and I both work for a rold Poker tour, and so we know that the broadcast on TV without even trying, ultimately leads people to the website. It leads you to the internet. You go to wsp dot com to read a story, look at stats, look up your favorite player or whatever, and you end up clicking the play online button or play poker button, whatever it is, and you go to a product that monetizes that audience. Online poker, sweepstakes, poker for some people, free to play poker, like the Zingas of the world. I think, as long as there's there's conversion there and then you can show growth in WSOP events. It doesn't have to be in the main event, right, It can be in the thousand dollars, the six hundred dollars, the three k whatever. As long as you're showing growth in those I think everybody's going to be happy. But I don't think that GG wrote the check with the understanding that they would constantly be writing the check. I think they want to grow it into a viable broadcast entity while also continuing to sort of push the WSP further and further into the mainstream. And that's why it's on ESPN and not CBS Sports Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at the end of the day, this is this is marketing, right, Like, this is like putting it on ESPN or any large network, like this is ultimately marketing for your brand, your tournament series, but also the game in general. You know, in a lot of ways, the WSP is a steward for poker overall. Also, I do want to point out that, you know, we have these ESPN ratings. We're talking about the WSP on ESPN, but that's not necessarily that's only a piece of the puzzle because it's international, it's on other networks, it's streaming in other places, like so these ratings, you know, these aren't just all the people that watch the w is AP main event, like there was many, many more of them. I don't know if we're ever going to get the full ratings number. We likely won't.
Speaker 2: Rite it's funny. I'm trying to actually track that down this week, and getting the US number was really challenging as it was because I guess the group that has the data licenses it out to people, and so you can't just be like, hey, I remember the media, can you help me with this? And they're like, yeah, it'll be fifteen thousand dollars for three weeks worth of reports, and you're like, yeah, that's just not going to happen. And so like even trying to find the international ratings, like some countries don't do ratings the same way that the American market does ratings. So it's it's proven to be a challenge. But I have been told by people that would know that the ratings in some of the international markets are really good and they're really happy. Some it leaves a little bit to be desired. But I think if they're they're hitting in key markets, like I know they're they're you know, hopeful that the Asian markets Japan, Korea does well, that some of the European markets where they have partnerships are doing well, and of course Brazil. So I think there's there's there's data that I got to find, but it's it's proving a little bit more difficult to track down than I thought it would.
Speaker 1: How important do you think ESPN, you know, the outlet, the brand, all that sort of stuff is important to growing poker.
Speaker 2: That's a tricky question because I think if if we're just thinking in a vacuum of is esp and important, Yes, because it's uh, it's got great brand recognition, it has a big audience. But if you came to me and said, hey, NBC wants to put it on NBC, that's much more valuable. We're going to have it on on Sunday night leading in from an NFL exhibition game. Yeah, that audience is going to be huge. Man Like, they're going to do great numbers. So I think it's important that we get it in front of the largest audience as possible, and in this day and age, that is ESPN right now. Now, going back to what I just said about turning this into a viable broadcast inventory, if they do that in three years with ESPN and their contract is up and they go looking that's when maybe ABC wants it or NBC wants it, you know, and they want to put it on the main network three nights in August. I don't know if you like watch a lot of TV, Donnie, but there's not a lot on TV in August, Like, there's not a lot of competition for those nights. So it seems like if you could turn this into a profitable entity, the bigger networks might come Crong or maybe a bigger streaming service. I mean, there was whispers, rumors, whatever you want to call it, that the WSP was like really looking hard and trying to convince Netflix to maybe do something. So who knows where it ends up. But I think ESPN is the first step in getting it back to the mainstream and turning it into that that profitable The Black.
Speaker 1: Project, Yeah, I would agree, you know, I think ESPN ultimately, while it might not be the final destination for this whole new era of the WSP, but it's a stepping stone and it provides a lot of legitimacy. Whether you know, whether whether you want to dump on ESPN for what it is today or not versus what it once was, right, it's still a legitimate mainstream network that is displaying the game of poker, and it's displaying the w SIP, which you know, it's been it's been hard to come by in more recent times, you know, I get it. Yes, it has been on Poker Goo, it has been on various channels, CBS Sports Network, et cetera. But you know, for as great as I think CBS Sports Network is and in terms of their appetite for poker, ESPN is definitely like a step up, right, So I think you need that sort of legitimacy, even if it's just the casual viewer turning tuning in and be like, oh, this is on ESPN. Now, oh this must be like a big deal, right, you know, So like I think that that helps things out overall. And again I don't know if you know, this is like I think it's like a three year deal or whatever. It is usually multi year deals, meaning right around three years. I don't know if this is going to stay on ESPN. I don't know if it's going to go somewhere else, but getting it on ESPN is a step in the right direction. If it ultimately stays there, cool, fine. If it goes somewhere else, great, cool. The last thing that we want to see though, is obviously this multi year deal to end and then it just nowhere because then it's like, well, I mean we tried, and it's obviously we all want to try, but maybe poker just doesn't have the draw that it once was like and that I mean it sucks to say for somebody like me who loves the game and believes that it should be out there, especially when you see some of the stuff that is on TV and I'm like, what the heck is going on? Especially and as you pointed out August when there's nothing on like you know, like poker is legit, like let's go. So I don't know, I think it's I think it's a good step, and you know, I guess we'll see what next year brings ultimately, right yep.
Speaker 2: I think like I'm going to lean into the startup thing as long as people are listen to me talk about it, because I think it's important to realize that there are smart people in charge who are taking notes throughout this. And does that mean that they're going to fix everything that people think was wrong this year? Absolutely not, but they're going to make improvements. They're going to want to grow the audience. They're going to want me to have to write next year, but the million person audience, right, So I think that the strategy is get it on ESPN, Let's see what the audience is like, and then let's figure out the ways to grow it.
Speaker 1: Is there a number that you would want to target next year, like, like you know when these ratings come out again a year from now, that you would say, Okay, it hit this number. It's clearly working.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've written enough press releases in my time to know I can make any numbers sound like a win, right, Like we hit six hundred thousand. It was five hundred and ninety three thousand, but we hit six hundred. It's an improvement. I think internally, on a whiteboard somewhere they have a million written down somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a million would be great, right, you know, you basically get two x the viewership. The number itself a million. It's a headlining number, right, you know that's all. That's all great.
Speaker 2: So much of it is kind of out of their control. Right. If Phil Ivy and Daniel mcgrond you make the final table next year, forget a million, there's gonna be five million people watching on ESPN on the first night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree that. You know, there's a lot of there's a lot of run good that needs to happen. You know, you and I have been in obviously on this side of things for long enough that you get you're down to the final two to three tables and you're like, oh my gosh, setting up for the best final table ever and whatever this event is, and then all of a sudden, boom boom boom, everyone just busts out and you're just left picking up the pieces. So, I mean, you know, it is what it is. I mean, maybe we'll get some run good, maybe we won't.
Speaker 2: But if they could get it like exact final table that they had this year, the same types of stories, the same types of people, without those headliners that I just mentioned, those marquee names, and they get a million in the audience, I think they'll be thrilled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I mean, let's hope for onward and upward. You also wrote about your winners and losers from this summer's WSP. You had six people listed. I'll just tell the people quickly who you had listed on the winners side, holding trophies Sean Deep, David Williams, Ty Stewart, and then on the loser side you had Phil Helmuth, Jared Blesnik, and stream watchers, which you grouped into kind of one category there. If you had to pick like the biggest of the bunch, like who was either like the biggest winner or the biggest loser, who you.
Speaker 2: Got, man, that's interesting. I mean, I don't want to pick on Phil Helmies. I think it's bizarre that every year he goes after Sean Deep and the Player of the Year ratings, despite the fact that it's.
Speaker 1: Changed every year. Friends, it's very weird.
Speaker 2: Like they're on Poker Night in America together, like they're they're yeah, they're friends. I don't know if they're friends. They're friendly.
Speaker 1: They say how much they love each other. They're like, oh yeah I love Phil, Oh yeah, I love Sean you know ball and then they're just going at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's that's a little unusual. I really didn't like Blessnik going after the some of the players in the fan table. I kind of get what he was saying, but at some point some producer in the backshit have like turned the microphone off because he was just digging a grave. But for me, like and it's it's a little bit personal. But I've known David Williams. He was the like, the first poker pro I ever met was David Williams at the Blago in two thousand and five, maybe four, two thousand and four, and seeing him go from you know, the the young brash hip poker pro to at one point I interviewed him for Bluff Magazine. He was like, I want out. I just want to do something different with my life. I want to go do something else. He kept drining, he kept playing, he made final tables, he won some events. But to see him on day one of the pregame show on YouTube for the WSP and then grow throughout the WSP into like being really really good at what he was doing was pretty cool. So I really like that. That was one of my favorites from the summer.
Speaker 1: I think I would agree. I I loved David on the broadcast. I know him well also, you know, and he's extremely well spoken, He's articulate. He's also not gonna shy away from sharing his thoughts or takes, which I think is great too. You know, you need that, like I think to use Jared Bleusnik, who's also on this list, as an example, Jared went a little bit too far where you know, David has shared some takes, whether it be on the Countdown show, through some of the broadcasts even during the summer on social media, where they were just a little better worded or better pointed. And yeah, I mean, I think if there was a negative thing for David, people might people said that, you know, his strategy talk maybe has a little bit left desire to be desired there that said, I don't think you fully need super hardcore strategy talk, solver or talk all that sort of stuff. I think you need just like a guy or a girl who's been in this game forever has sat in those seats talking through what they would do in the moment. Like I think that that is what resonates with people. And I think that's like one of David's best things is like, at the end of the day, he's just another poker player. Yes, he's got a great personality, he's able to talk on TV and be in front of the camera and all that sort of stuff, but like he's just a guy who loves the game and that comes through in the broadcast, which I think wins, So that's why I'd agree.
Speaker 2: I think the the pregame show worked because you had such a great balance of different sort of people and different roles. But David Filing the you know, the known pro able to talk about the game from what the player they're talking about is thinking in this moment. I think that was super valuable, and I think David was just like natural at it.
Speaker 1: Was there anyone that narrowly missed the.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, you know, one of the things we're going to talk about is some of my favorite stories. But I think the Fox AND's like narrowly missed the cut on being the winners. I think that's just such a cool story that it like almost to the point of being underreported, which is wild because they get a lot of attention. But the fact that a husband and wife won bracelets at the same WSP was just I think it's just such a cool story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess a lot of is hard. I mean, I fall victim to it too, where I want to talk about things more, but the WSOP machine is just ghost at one hundred miles an hour and you kind of have no time to talk, Like, yeah, you get it. Out there, that Kristen one or that Alex one. But then the next thing, you know, Dani Greno's making a deep run or whatever. There's a hundred other tournaments happening. It's like, how much longer can I just keep talking about this? So it sucks that, yeah, some stuff does it just has that short shelf life you know, at the top of the headline rankings. But it's that it's not deserving for sure, like it deserves to be talked about. It's just it's hard with so much going on. It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, covering the WSP. I think people that do it the first time are like, they get about two weeks in, they're like, oh my god, when does this stop? And it's like the phrase you'll hear is, oh, it's a marathon, not a sprint. The WSP is neither. It is twenty six point two miles of sprints one hundred meters stop, hundred meters stop, hundred meters stop for twenty six miles over fifty days. And covering it and trying to give like that additional context that you normally would do something is almost impossible because by the time that you get an interview with Kristin and Alex and sit down to transcribe it and write the story. Seven other people have won Bracelest and it's only been two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and every single person, whether they're a big name or a new person to the scene, you know, everyone's got.
Speaker 2: A story, got a story.
Speaker 1: I know you love the story and tell you ask storytelling aspect. I love it too. You know, whether it's some I don't know teacher from Idaho who took some time off and is blasting in the summer that won their first bracelet, or whether you know it's a hard and pro who hasn't won a bracelet now just won their first, or whether it's Danil mcgron who winning number eight. Well whatever it is, like, there's there's stories to be had there. And yeah, I mean we hear it all the time, like you're focusing on this too much. You're not focusing on that too much. I mean, it's just it's difficult. It really is difficult. Any other stories, I mean you talked about the Fox's and anything else stick out to you as some of your your favorites from the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think my favorite, my number one. Well, there's a there's a one B to the fox and thing and that's that. In the immediacy after Kristen won her bracelet, we had a brief, you know, one of those undameter sprint conversations in the community. We had a conversation about Kristin Foxen is one of the best no limit holding players in the world period. We're no longer talking about Kristin as the best female player in the world. We're talking about her as just the best player in the world that no liman holding tournaments potentially, And I think that's super valuable and something that probably again, like we had that conversation and then we moved on to whatever happened two days later and we were doing other things. But I think my favorite story of the summer is probably the return of brad Booth. For people that grew up in the era of poker that I grew up in, brad Booth is an og gangster like rolling up on high stakes poker, dumping cash on the table and being like, let's go. The fact that he came back after ten years away, dealt with a whole bunch of personal issues and was transparent and talking and like doing his own social media throughout. I thought that was really special, and I just think that hopefully there's more to come from from Brad in that sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if the listener's out there on a little bit more on Brad's story, I would encourage them to go check out the Table one podcast. You know, a couple of months ago he was on there. But you know, I think that stuff still holds pretty true, and you know, not to get all witty about it, but you know, his story kind of got lost in the wilderness in a way this summer. You know, it's again there's just so much going on. But yeah, Brad Booth being back is awesome. You know, he's the guy who took the bricks of cash stuck them in the middle of the table against Phil Ivy with five high Like, I mean, that's Brad Booth, you know, Like it's just he's incredible. And I think having characters like that is what makes poker so great. And then just bringing that part back to the ESPN side of things, highlighting those characters more versus focusing on just the poker play, I think that's going to be ultimately a win, right, Like, the characters are what drive the interest in the game. In my opinion, You're right, The only thing you need in poker to be able to play is money. That's all you need. You know, you don't need to qualify by some sort of skill level or whatever it is. You just need the dollars to get in there. And you can be anyone from any walk of life. And yeah, I just wish we can just continue to tap into that, you know more as we go. You covered poker forever, you know you've been I don't know writing for Bluff pocket Fives. By the way, I wanted to ask this, do you miss Pocket Fives because I fucking miss pocketphies Man every day. I just missed the rankings, rankings.
Speaker 2: Like when I got that gig, you know, Bluff closed down and Pocketphile's was like nice enough to bring me on board, and like it was one. It was a whole new world because I had followed it, but not like not the way the Pocketphy's audience expected their top writer to be following it. So the first like three months was uh, was a lot of getting into it. But once you're into it, yeah, I miss it. Like it's the leaderboard aspect of just seeing who the top online player in the world is or who's who's rising, Who's falling, et cetera. That was so fun, and you know, I got to see and know a little bit of the players in there. Nicholas Hostile when he made his big run if you years ago in the main event, Everyone's like, oh, this guy's legit, and I'm like, yeah, I've been writing about it for seven years, and I've been writing about him because I think he's the number one or number two online player in the world. During that almost entire time, he was one of the like the biggest bad asses on Pocketphy's rankings. Patrick Leonard, who got a whole bunch of love for helping Lucas Jumalan this year, was another guy who was, you know in the mix, Christy Union, like all those guys, Sean Deeb. So yeah, I genuinely miss it. I understand why it went away, but I wish there was a way that we could get in the way back machine and go back to having it on a full time basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I I think there's a giant void in the industry without it. I just the online side of things is so important, and having that ranking system to be able to provide some sort of legitimacy to it put more eyeballs on it, you know, really serve as that scoreboard for who who's doing well, who's not. You know, I think is is great and every I just I brought it up because the other day I was listening to the Skill Game podcast with Johnny Vibes and he had pads on Patrick Leonard, and Patrick Leonard brought it up, you know, like wanting to be wanting to improve his ranking every single week when the rankings used to come out, and it just I was like in my car and like I paused the podcast and I was just like, I think I audibly said, damn it, Like I wish Pocket Vives was back, like I did, Like I wish or some form of it or whatever the next generation of it is like just the idea of tracking online poker, the wins, the losses, the triple crowns, you know, all that sort of stuff is like you just really have you're kind of flying blind, like who's doing well, who's not doing well?
Speaker 2: Like who are the top players? Right now? Let me give the listeners a quick rundown of why it went away and why it's probably not going to come back. The when Pocket Phyle's was first born. There was three guys in a dorm room at Vanderbilt who figured out a way to track online results. They literally had people writing in emails with who they thought the top ten players were. That's where the rankings came from. But then they figured out that they can get those results, put them in their database, come up with a ranking system, and display those And that worked great for years until right after even Uiga was sort of a bit of a bump, but sites stopped providing the feed, and the feed wasn't It's not like a USB plug that everybody gives you with their feed in it. This site had did it this way, this site did it that way, this site did something totally different, This site was completely different. And this site only gave you an exit an ex alfa. So there was, you know, our development team was constantly trying to figure out ways to make all of this data come in cleanly, display the same and it was super challenging that way. And then when they would break, like sometimes feeds would break, you'd go to the site and say, hey, can I get can you guys help us reset that feed? Like, yeah, it's on our list, but like we have a thousand other things that were more interested in, and over time, it just got to the point where those feeds were held together by bubblegum, duct tape and a toothpick. And I felt bad for development team because you know, we'd lose you know, eight eight New Jersey would just like go away, And suddenly our rankings from New Jersey were garbage because quarter of the results weren't being tracked. So it got to the point where sites, I won't mention them, some sites just said we're just not going to supply the feed anymore. We're done. We just don't think there's any value in giving this to you and exposing the player data. And then European privacy laws got tricky, and a whole lot of things just sort of converged at once to make it almost impossible to keep the rankings in their peer form, in their real you know, up to date form alive. And I don't think you're ever going to see a scenario again, unfortunately, where all the online poker sites say, hey, random site that we have no affiliation with other than being an actual affiliate, here's our data, please use it to make money for those other sides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I would push back to the site saying that there's no value in it for them, because I think if you as long as you're not getting into like plus minus, which these sites never really were, you know. I mean, the only thing that you could gleam from the rankings is like, oh, so and so hasn't cashed in forever. Maybe he's on a downer type of thing. But if you kind of just treat it like Hendon Mob does with Live, where it's only like up up, up up up, so every cash you just earn more points on the leaderboard and that sort of stuff, then I think ultimately it just puts more eyeballs on your players, which is then your platform. You know, people want to possibly tune in to watch stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember, like back in the days when Pocket fives was flying, you know, you would check the leaderboard out, you would see some names. Then you would probably sweat the end of the Sunday Million or the big tournament on full tilt that weekend or whatever, and you'd say, like, oh, Pads is at the final table. Oh Leana nine hunter is at the final table. Guys ranked number one on Pocket fives. I want to be like that guy, and like so I think it all can work in everyone's favor. And then to the point of like driving traffic elsewhere. I mean, you know, a rising tidele lists all boats in some ways. I don't think it's going to be that much of a big deal, right. And at the end of the day, if you if you're a platform and you work on having the best platform, the best tournament offering that sort of stuff, then people are gonna come to your site versus elsewhere, right. So it's there's that competition aspect, and if you're if you're staying true to that and building the best product that you can, They're like, who cares? Right, So I think I would.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. I just know that people on the business side of those sites do.
Speaker 1: No. I get it, and I agree with you. It's not coming back, you know. I'm just saying like if I was able to try and argue with somebody like almost like if I was if I was put in charge of an online online site today, I would be actively like building out ranking.
Speaker 2: The first thing you do is build a leader board that is publicly accessible and feels like something you can.
Speaker 1: Now maybe maybe pocket five. The idea of a pocket five's online leaderboard thing. You know, maybe that never happens because sites just take it upon themselves right to do it on their own platforms, like Okay, i'm coin poker, I'm w s A P, I'm GG whatever. So if you want to see the WSOP ones, you go to WSP dot com. You navigate to the online section, there's the rankings, same with GG, you know, same with this and that and the other thing, right, like like maybe you could do it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, there's like some of the sites do have their own their own leader boards and their own contest built around them. But yeah, I think that, you know, everybody's going to have a different opinion on whether or not they want to do those, and I I just long for the days of uh sweating the rankings update every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you get the whole like this guy's the best in the world. Now. I have no idea. I just have no idea. Did you know writing about poker or writing about the WSP specifically for ESPN change the way you thought? I mean, I know you got a little bit into it when you talked about working with your editor earlier, you know, just about how you kind of had go through that process and and you know, make things a little bit differently. But did it make you think about, like, you know, what makes a good poker story versus what doesn't make a good poker story, And did you have to kind of rework your brain in that regard.
Speaker 2: Not really, because I think I've always thought of what makes a good and you can take the word poker out, but I think what makes a good story, a good feature story is finding the humanity in the person that you're speaking with and relaying that to the to the reader, and framing that in a way that they can relate to or empathize with, or sympathize with, or even in some cases hate, Like I don't like the way that guy thinks about the world. That's fine, but that you're, as the reader, you're still finding a way to relate to the humanity of that person, so that that was still very much there, you know. I wrote about Greg Mueller and Sean Buchannon and the tough conversation that they had the ultimately led to Greg, you know, putting his best foot forward in the main event this year, I wrote a little bit about Lucas and some of the things that have gotten him to the point where he is now or was heading into the Final table. Wrote about the grinder and the year that he had, but it was always about like who is this person and how can I make the most people care about him in a way that will leave some of an impression with them and get to the end of the article and be like, okay, like I didn't reading that was worth my time, and now I know a little bit more about this person and care more about this person in some aspect. So it didn't really change that much. Maybe the thing that changed the most was sort of the some of the language and maybe being a little bit more explanatory in some areas where I know the poker audience gets this when I say X y Z, whereas the super recreational reader who maybe watches poker once every couple of years or can recognize five players, that was a little bit different for sure.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on Lucas Jummelan as a WSP main event champion.
Speaker 2: So there's a moment during the lead up to the Final Table where I think it's the start of day six, Day seven maybe where Jeff Platt pulls his boys aside his rail and they're a group of twenty one, twenty two, twenty three year old kids, and he's talking to Hayden Hetland, who's his best friend's poker pro also, and you know, Hayden just said he's built for this, and there was something in the way he said it that struck me. And it wasn't the way that a frat boy talks about his buddy who's running deep in the main, like, oh, my boy's built for this. It was different, right. He was genuinely like, my guy has my guy eats, sleeps, and breezes poker. And he was specifically thinking about this moment for multiple years in his life. And the more that I spoke to Lucas and the more that I spoke to people around him, I genuinely believe that he was like the real deal. You know. You think back to the O. I think it's the three oh four Dewas Uinneamt coverage where we get a lot of the crew, Dutch Boys, Scott Fishman, et cetera. And like, there's this scene where Dutch Boy busts out of the main and he's walking out opinions and I think Scott Fishman looks into the camera He's like, we're taking over the poker world, and like two years later, no one had heard from them. Right, That's what I mean when like that is not Lucas and his friends. The more I spoke to Lucas, whether it was in the lead up to the final table, we're at the final table, the more I realize that this is a super humble kid who is dedicated to being very good at, if not the best, at what he does, and that happens to be playing poker. I think if he had gone into you know, he's got his degree in data analytics or whatever it was, if he had gone into an office job nine to five, I think whoever hires him gets a guy who wants to just like put in the work. And I think, you know, Lucas is not walking around Spokane, Washington to day telling people that he's the best poker player in the world. He understands that. You know, he won the biggest turnam in the world. He got a massive amount of shine for two weeks, and the only thing that we're going to judge him by moving forward is what he does next. And I think that he's a he comes from a good family, he's humble, kid, He's surrounded by good people. I think that there's you know, in terms of like where he's going to be in four or five years. I think he's a good kid, and I think he's going to still be playing poker and probably having some deep runs on some final tables.
Speaker 1: I really would like his crew to take off and be in the spotlight. I like the idea of having cruise in poker. Now it's not that we don't have cruise in poker. You know, there are little clicks here and there, but you have to have that front runner, that headliner, that person that's sort of leading the charge carrying the tour. And in this case, that is going to be Lucas, right because he just won the biggest tournament in the world. Right, So now, I like if he's got big Red Hayden, hetln you know, behind him, Rand and Sunshine, those guys, you know, just like travel in the circuit having some success. You know, even if Lucas plays the more like low key personality, maybe Hayden's the guy who's out there kind of a little bit more brashing in your face or whatever it may like, just have like those different personalities in it. I think that's ultimately good, you know, so I want to see it, Like, I hope these guys have a lot of success. And it does seem like a bunch of them went to Cherokee and won some rings and won some big stuff. So I think that that's great, Like we need a crew like that to be sort of at the top or near the top in the spotlight, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the fact that they're all, you know, like I said, twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, and they're playing on the circuit and like quote unquote paying their dues, but you know, they're they're playing, they're going to these these serious circuit stops where they can you know, you get a lot of reps and then you get a lot of opportunity to learn and get better. And they're they understand what they're doing, like they are building towards being bigger and better players, not just being circuit crushers for this year and then maybe next year we'll figure something else out. They definitely seem like they have a plan and they're well, they're well thought out and how they're approaching the game, which I certainly appreciate.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, that's all I got for you. Tell everyone where they can follow you.
Speaker 2: Well, you can get me on Twitter at lance underscore Bradley. I'm not there as often as I used to, let's go, but mainly you can get me on substack at theoverlay dot substack dot com and uh, just follow me there. It's free. For now, it's free and we'll see where I land next. But hopefully some more stuff on ESPN and in your future.
Speaker 1: I won't I won't go too much into it, but I will tease it here. You have a story on your substack again theoverlay dot substack dot com where you dug up the man behind the WSP's music from the old Days.
Speaker 2: One of the favorite things that I've written in a long time. And the reaction from it from people in Vegas when I was there covering the final table blew my mind. I had strangers coming out to me and being like, I read your story on the guy that wrote the song. I thought that was really cool, and I I was like, man like. I started that as like a hey, let's just see if I can find this guy, and it turned into this really cool piece. So yeah, by all means, check it out. It's uh, it's worth the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely check that out.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It is an awesome read. And if you're a poker nerd like like I am, like Lances as well, you guys are gonna love that story. So Lance Bradley, I appreciate you coming on as always, great catching up. Hopefully it's a not too long before I get to talk to you again, but I appreciate it, sir.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Don big thanks to Lance Bradley for joining me. Don't forget to subscribe to the overlay on a substack. I am an avid reader. Lance does some digging for some great great stuff. As always, I still have a few more things that I want to hit on on this episode. I know Lance and I at length, but you know, the other day I was driving. It's one of those things where I can still picture exactly where I was when I was driving, kind of the moment that it hit me. I don't know exactly what triggered it. Oh, actually no, I do. I saw a resource World, okay, kind of off in the distance I was. I was getting onto the highway and I saw it, and you know, something popped into my head in that moment, and I said, man, I really miss that and that. I mean, I miss the North American Pop Tour. I miss the NAPT, you know, I don't. I don't know if maybe I'm changing a little bit. You know, as I mentioned with Lance, I've been missing Pocket fives. I mean that's been a feeling of mine and I bring it up every once in a while, but you know, every every month or so, maybe every two months, I have this feeling like, man, I wish Pocketfhives is back. I always have that feeling. Now I started having this feeling as it relates to the NAPT. You know, it's different because unlike Pocket Fives, you know, which which hasn't been around for a couple of years, Like we got a taste of Poker Stars bringing the NAPT back. And now I just I can't help but think that it's just quietly gone again without really any sort of word. Now, maybe that gives me some hope that there's a chance it comes back, but I don't know. I haven't heard anything by this point on the calendar. You would think that we would have heard if it was happening right now. I know that Resorts World closed its poker room, yes, but I don't see why you know, you can't just go to the venue and have a poker festival. I mean, that happens elsewhere in the world, right, you know, they go to places where they don't necessarily have poker rooms, right, and I think they do just fine. And it's a bummer, you know. I really liked what the NAPT was doing in this return, bringing it back to Las Vegas. I thought it occupied a really really good spot on the poker calendar, you know, took place in that that early part of November for the large majority of it. Resorts World itself was a great venue for it, you know, I know, Resorts World, there's a lot of talk that it's not doing the best. They obviously had to close the poker room, you know, fairly recently, like all that sort of stuff. But it's a great property. It's spread out if you're if you're somebody who's like you know, the was ap moving down to the Las Vegas Strip. It was better at the rear, like if you're in that sort of camp because you like the fact that you can get in and out of the parking lot easier. It's not crammed onto the strip like all that sort of stuff. I mean, that's kind of what Resorts World felt like. Like it's, you know, right off the highway, right there, in and out, you're not into the strip, you know, it's it's pretty great, to be honest. So you know, a small part of me, I guess, was just kind of holding out hope that they would find a way to bring it back. I wouldn't say that they would need to find another home even after Resource World did close its pokeroom. I think you still go back there and you just bring people in, just like when you go to some of these venues for an EPT or something else. You know, you just bring in your staff, you hire dealers and do the whole thing. Of course, you know, maybe I'm being a little bit premature here. Maybe something does change, Maybe we see the napt again down the road, and I hope we do. You know, I think it's a great series. I think it's a great brand. They put on great events, you know, so I think there's certainly a place for it in North American poker. Which is it's interesting that I'm bringing this up knowing what I'm about to get into next, just because you know, we have talked at times about how much poker there is, and it's almost like there's too much poker. But listen, I genuinely miss having the Poker Stars an apt on the calendar. I miss having it here in my city that I can just you know, head on over to Resorts World and play a really, really good event. So that's a bummer. And I was just thinking about that the other day, and uh, yeah, I hope it comes back, but who knows, we haven't heard anything. My next thought is that there's there's something happening in live poker right now that I think is pretty damn encouraging overall. You know, we hear constantly, whether it be in some inner circles within poker, you know, media members talking, players talking, whatever it is. We see it on social media, et cetera. But we just hear constantly about the health of poker. Is poker booming? Is there too much poker?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Are there too many operators, too many events, too many tours to compete for the player pool? Are there are there too many events out there like all that sort of stuff. Our numbers declining? You know, we often look at numbers year over the year. I do that plenty myself, you know, and just compare things to what they were, and you know, listen, I do think that there is probably too much poker in some respects, or maybe I shouldn't say too much poker, but too many events that are competing for the player pool. So you know, maybe there can be some scaling back in that regard. There are so many options now that players and prize pools are inevitably getting spread around. I don't think that's something that can be ignored, right, But you look at some of these fields. You got the Arizona State Poker Championship drawing more than four thousand entries. I think it was the twentieth annual Arizona State Poker Championship down at Talking Stick that just wrapped up. And when I saw that it got more than four thousand entries, when I saw some of the community that was traveling that I don't think traveled there before, I was like, hmm, this is interesting, and that's kind of what spawned this is this whole thought process. Let me start looking around, you know what else is happening, Because I'm like, okay, this this event, which always was a pretty big event, drew pretty well. You know, even like in my circle, people were telling me, hey, you should try and make a trip down all that sort of stuff. I was thinking, Hmm, isn't there a lot of other stuff happening right now? Like how is this one able to draw more than four thousand entries? For I think it's an eleven hundred dollars buy and when I think, like, for example, WSP Circuit is running in Cherokee, and that's always a huge turnout in the Cherokee side, Right, So having those two things kind of competing against each other, that doesn't really make you think that both of these events are going to do extremely well, but it ends up that they did do extremely well. Right, So you got this Arizona State Poker Championship drawing more than the four thousand entries. You got that WSP Circuit main event at Cherokee draws almost seventeen hundred. I think the number was sixteen eighty or sixteen eighty one, which is the fourth largest WSP Circuit main event in that venue's history, right, so doing very well there. You just had the MSPT Illinois Poker State Championship drawing more than eighteen hundred entries, which was reported as a state record. Shout out to my guy mon, no war for taking that damn thing down for two hundred and five thousand dollars. You know you want to go outside the US. You got ept Barcelona the Poker Stars Open. I think it's sixteen fifty euros is the buy in there? That thing draws more than forty three hundred entries, so very very good, very very big numbers. From what we've said many times, is probably the elite price point for poker. You know that that one K to like one to two k, right probably. I mean the circuit stuff is seventeen hundred dollars, so it's like one K to seventeen hundred like that price point. It's high enough that if you do get good turnouts, it's big enough stakes to draw some some bigger players in because you know they're willing to play that win that much money, et cetera. It's also small enough that it's accessible for a lot of people, right, you know, I'm not I'm not trying to do a year over year analysis here on every single one of these tournaments that I just use as some examples, because some of these might be up, some of these might be down. Like I get it, you know, and I'm not going to go into that, that's not my point with this whole thing here, But what these numbers do seem to tell me, and the feeling that I get from it, is that there is still a very very very healthy appetite for live poker when again, the price point is accessible and when the event feels meaningful. I think these events, these brands that I've mentioned, they've all done a really really good job of making their event mean something, stand out to the crowd, want to be attended, want people to travel for them, all that sort of stuff, And that ultimately is what I feel is important. Because we do spend a lot of time talking, especially on this podcast, about the higher buying stuff, the ten k's, the fifteen k's, the twenty five k's, heck, the hunter k's, you know, because those are the tournaments that frequent our space at poker Grow on the PGT a little bit more right, Those are also the tournaments that are more likely to be live stream. They draw in more of the star players, the big names, right, and then that all can lead towards headlines. So we talk about that a lot, but the health of live tournament poker probably tells you a lot more when thousands of people are playing the game in these events, and they're willing to put up you know, one K, eleven hundred and twelve hundred and fifteen hundred, in the case of the WSB circuit, seventeen hundred dollars to play. You know. So these events that I touched on, and there's probably something that I even left out here. I just kind of did a quick look around. I didn't want to start going through, you know, a dozen events, but you know, there was a lot of stuff happening at Seminole. There was all this sort of stuff, right, you know. So, but those are four different events, They're in four pretty different markets. You've got Arizona, you got Cherokee, complete opposite sides of the country. That Illinois Poker State Championship is, you know, not on an opposite side of the country. It's in the middle, but it's up much more north, right, So you're kind of covering the whole US. And then I talked about the Barcelona one because I wanted to take it outside and get a little bit more of a global outlook as well. You know, so we're talking about thousands and thousands of entries across the board, and I don't care if you want to slice it between uniques, re entries, whatever, but overall that looks pretty damn healthy to me, and I think it's pretty great. And then lastly, here this news did drop on Thursday, big tournament news in that the full schedule being released for WSP Paradise. We already knew Paradise was coming back, right that that is is not news. You know, December two through December seventeenth, those were the dates that were announced. We were waiting to hear the schedule, and now we know what the festival looks like. There are twenty Bracelet events, one hundred and twenty million dollars in total guarantees, and of course the WSP Super Main Event, that WSP Paradise Super Main Event is back, and it comes with a fifty million dollar prize pool guarantee. And I was going through the schedule and there are a few things that jump out to me. Right, Ultimately, everything kind of led me to one bigger question with it all. You know, before I get to that question, let me just point out that you got the WSP Superman event being at a fifty million dollar guarantee that is down from last year. When they had it at sixty million. Remember they came out with fifty, then they bumped it to sixty. Now it's going back to fifty. And they didn't miss last year. In fact, I would say that they comfortably cleared the sixty million dollar guarantee when I know there was a lot of push, especially late, to get people down there. There was a lot of conversation whether or not they were going to hit the sixty million dollar guarantee because it was quite a lofty goal, and kudos to them for sticking their necks out to achieve that. But they did get more than I think it was more than seventy two million dollars in the prize pool at the end of it all, So they cleared up by twelve million. I mean, that's ultimately pretty comfortable. So I would say that they could have just ran it back at sixty, right. I feel like it wasn't in jeopardy of being missed, you know, unless they're kind of projecting what's to come. And maybe part of that is at least in this announcement that we got on Thursday, the partnership with Triton Poker series that became a major part of w CP Paradise last time around. It isn't a part of the announced schedule this time now. Of course that can change. Maybe that it's just TBD. I don't know, but you know, right now it's not there. So maybe they're they're baking in some of that. Hey maybe if we don't have this partnership with Triton, maybe they have ideas that they're going to run their own series, maybe somewhere in Europe or Asia, whatever, So there's some competition, so that's going to force us to scale back on the Gearty. I don't know. I'm just saying that the Triton stuff is not involved, at least from what I can tell at this time. At the same time, you have the w CITB Circuit Championship is once again built into this schedule. They have the WSB Circuit Championship Mystery Bounty A twenty seven and fifty dollars buying that is event number one on THESP Scared Paradise schedule. I almost it's Scared Ice for some reason, be Paradise schedule. Five million dollar guarantee there. Now, this this event itself did hit the news in some recent weeks because there was a lot of pushback on social media from online WSB circuit ring winners saying that they weren't getting packages of this tournament when they were under the assumption that they were, because the WSP came out and said, Hey, all w s B circuit ring winners get a package of this events. At first, WSP seemed like they were saying, you know, no, we only meant live not online stuff too. Anyway, WSP ends up correcting itself. Good on them for doing that. They end up honoring the fact that all these ring winners are ultimately going to go down there. Okay, So there's that all of this set right. I'm not not really saying like these are good decisions, bad decisions, or whatever they are. That's not where I'm trying to go with this. The question that I'm ultimately left wondering, if I'm being completely honest with you guys out there, is what does WSP Paradise ultimately want to be? You know, what does it want to be as a series? What does it want to be as a brand within the bigger brand? Right? You have obviously the big brand is ws A P then you have the WSP in Vegas is probably the takes up the biggest piece of the big WSP brand puzzle. You have WSP Europe, you have WSP Paradise, you have Wasity Circuit, et cetera, et cetera. You know, where does WSP Paradise see itself within that ecosystem and what does it want to be? You know, is this a premiere high stakes festival similar to Triton? You know, I feel like last year when they partnered with Triton, you know, you really got that feeling like, Okay, they are really going for high stakes, premiere elite, ultra high buying competition, the show, all that sort of stuff. That's why we're partnering with Triton, you know. So is that what you're going for here at the end of the poker calendar or is this supposed to be more of a winter version of what the ws AP is in Las Vegas. And what I mean by that is, yes, it's in a different location, but is it supposed to be something where it's like, listen, we still have a decent offering for everybody. You know, the was to be in the summer, of course, has something for everyone for sure? Are they leaning more into that? Are they really leaning into the circuit thing, and is that going to be become a bigger part of the overall identity for WSP Paradise, you know, making it when you're kicking it off with this Circuit Championship, are you really trying to celebrate the w CP circuit, you know? Or is the answer overall that that simply they're they're trying to be all these things and that's the right answer. I don't necessarily know. I don't think I have an answer at this stage. But and I'm not trying to bring this as as criticism. I'm just I'm trying to wonder, like what this is trying to be and what's trying to be achieved. I'm generally, genuinely, excuse me, genuinely interested in seeing what sort of identity WSP Paradise develops this whole thing. This is still a young event, right, it has still growth to do. But where is it ultimately gonna end up? The identity of the WSP in Vegas during the summer that that's incredibly clear. You know, that thing's been running for you know, decades. We know exactly what it is. We know pretty much what it's going to be and what it wants to be every single summer, right, I would say the same thing with WISP Europe. But even WSP Europe is kind of transitioned in some recent years to be what it is now, which is which is fine, you know, and I think Europe certainly has a great place within the the overall poker calendar and within thes ap ecosystem. Heck, you could even extend that to the Waspy circuit. You know, that has a pretty clear identity. We know where that lies. And now that you know they have like the super circuits as well that they're working in, they have one coming up at Playground which is going to be absolutely giants. You know, we know what the circuit is too, you know, So Paradise is still evolving. I still think that I don't think this is any sort of like finished product. I'm just interested into ultimately, you know, what they want its place on the poker calendar to be and what they want it to be thought of, you know. I'm just I guess my feeling from it is is, you know, seeing the schedule and seeing the buy ins, the events themselves, et cetera. Like I'm curious. I'm genuinely curious to see how this evolves. So that's from where I sit. You know, that's my takeaway from seeing the WSP Paradise schedule. I think it's going to be vague. I think it's going to be giant. The next balt drop right, as it relates to WSP Paradise is obviously the big clash of the two brands WPT and wis a b in December. We know and we talked about that the WPT World Championship is coming back to the Win in December.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That came out through the Poker News podcast through Chad Holloway. He talked with the representative at the win early during the summer. Right said, yes, it's coming back. Don't know exact dates, don't know schedule yet, but it is coming back in December. We knew the WSITP Paradise dates December second through seventeenth. Okay, cool, Now we have the WSP Paradise schedule. Next ball to drop for December is going to be the WPT World Championship schedule. So let's see what they bring and how it works around this sort of stuff. I mean, I know that the WSP Paradise schedule, looking at it at what's on it, Like they have that twenty seven to fifty Circuit Championship, they have a fifty three hundred dollars Big Bet Mix, they have a fifty three hundred dollars Monster Sack, they have a twenty seven to fifty double board bomb pot. They got a fifty three hundred dollars Closer event on there. But then everything else is you know, ten K, twenty six K, fifty two hundred and fifty five K, they got a couple hundred and three ks on there, Like this is big, big, big buyance. I know it doesn't have the Triton brand attached to it, but it's still big, big, big buyans. Right, So is WPT going to continue to push things more kind of the other way and try and be the more accessible option in the winter?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: WPT does great with the WPT Prime Championship at the win. That one K event is one of the absolute best events you know, of the year, but also like ever in poker, and you know, I know they have the ten K WPT World Championship as the flagship headliner for that series, but everything else within that series is like they got just elite price points from I think eight hundred dollars to three k like in that sort of you know, kind of mid major wheelhouse. So are they just going to lean into that quite a bit more. We'll see, and we'll see what's to come, of course from the WPT World Championship schedule. But I'm anxiously awaiting that one so we can kind of compare and contrast the two the two pathways, you know, for these two brands at the end of the year. We can close this episode with a little bit of fun here, right, I don't think we've done this in a while. How about a family pot, guys. School's back in session. Our oldest just started kindergarten. I gotta I guess I got a little bit of a thought there. So yeah, let's just hit the music and then we'll get into it. It's all right. So, as I mentioned, oldest jumped into kindergarten. It's been two weeks now, she's loving it. No complaints there, It's great. Transition went well. It's just been a giant pain in my ass to deal with these drop off and pick up times. I mean it's just very very difficult. Eight to fifty drop off, three o'clock pickup, just kind of right smack dab in the middle of the workway. It's just heavily annoying. I gotta go there. You know, there's just a thousand people all trying to do the same thing at one time. It's like just the absolute if you guys know me, I just I can't stand it. So that's that. The other thing that that happened that that is like a reoccurring theme within my household is my wife losing or forgetting her keys, And somehow this is like my fault. I mean, I don't I don't fully understand how I can get in trouble for locking the door to the house when my wife forgets her key, but she's the one who forgot her key. I don't really get how that works. But yeah, it's I think she said she lost her keys two weeks ago, week and a half ago. I found out two days ago. I mean, crazy thought, maybe just tell me, I mean, you know, and then well we'll solve the problem together, right, But like, you know, just the fact that she can not now find her keys, so we got to solve that situation anyway. I don't know that. It's just a little short and sweet family pot here, you know, it's it's it's been interesting in the Peter's household, of course, to transition into this new school. I'm dealing with this, uh, these drop off and pick up times that are just driving me absolutely up the wall. It's just it's and then I got the whole key thing too. It's just it's just ridiculous. It's one of those things when it comes to the drop off and pick up that I feel like there has to be a better way. I don't necessarily know what that is. I just you know, and I'm probably I'm probably the one that's entirely wrong here. I really, I really am. But that's fine. I'm just it's late, I've had a long day and i want to over exaggerate about something, so I'm going to I'm just gonna overreact. That's just how I am. But anyway, that's the podcast. Thank you guys for sticking with us if you haven't already. I know I didn't didn't see it up earlier, and I should have, but I'm sure many of you saw it on the feed. But Lucas Jumlan main event champ. He joined my guy Remco Rinking on the Face the Ace podcast. They had a lengthy conversation, So go check that out. I think this kid's ready for the spotlight. You know, that's kind of the spot where I'm at with it. So check that out if you haven't already, and we'll keep this thing moving. High sakes Poker is coming live and it's coming fast. August twenty fifth through thirty first. Then we got a whole crap ton of PGT stuff that is coming in September and October. I think the dates are September twenty fourth through October twenty third. Is just PGT straight one straight month PGT. There's gonna be a no gamble in the future, some live streams for that crammed in there at some point. There's a Celebrity Poker Tour event in there at some point. Like there's just a lot of stuff happening in this second half of the year, and I am super super excited for it. So that's gonna do it for the show. My name is Donnie Peters, and I will talk to you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Express