Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodgers Talking like Back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: After the Dodgers return.
Speaker 2: Home with a six to four win over the Rockies and lower their magic number to clinch the NL West to five, we are going to be with you until eleven o'clock tonight, taking your phone calls at eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. You will hear from Tyler Glass now who spoke for the first time since shutting down his season. And also we'll give you an update on Clayton Kershaw. But really this is all about Shoeotani and the Dodgers coming off an incredible game yesterday six for six, three home runs ten are a triple shy of the cycle. And then after the Dodgers land at about twelve fifteen twelve thirty this morning, he is able to turn around and the Dodgers were able to turn around and pick themselves up and understand they still have to get wins and still have to clinch this division, and it was a nice way for them to come back and score six runs after scoring twenty yesterday in Miami, and Otani is just remarkable. I think at this point in time, everybody is just in awe of what this man is able to do. If you saw the game, or the highlights or social media. In the bottom of the first inning, as Rick Monday anticipated yesterday, Otani did get a standing ovation from the crowd here at Dodgers Stadium. And also what was really awesome to see was his teammates that entire Dodger dugout not only stood up and applauded him, but they came out of the dugout and stood in front of it to give Otani a standing ovation. That was something that you don't see too often forty nine thousand and seventy three at Dodger Stadium. Obviously, you expect the fans to give him a standing ovation. He reciprocated and acknowledged the fans by stepping out and tipping his helmet and also respecting his teammates. That's the one thing about Otani that we have learned being around him every day is that he respects the game and really respects the opponents, the umpires, maybe sometimes too much for my liking, but he respects the game and that's something he expressed yesterday and his postgame press conference where he said that he respects the players that came before him, and he is honored and humbled to be able to be the first player in baseball history to steal fifty bases and hit fifty home runs.
Speaker 3: This guy just loves the big stage, and.
Speaker 2: Yesterday he could sense it, and he not only got through the door to open up the fifty to fifty club, but burst through it by becoming the first fifty one fifty one player. And tonight, fourteenth time this year, O'tani has hit a home run and stolen a base.
Speaker 3: So now he's ad fifty two and fifty two.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Yesterday was one of those moments.
Speaker 2: That you will always remember where you were when that game happened.
Speaker 3: I think we all felt that way.
Speaker 2: Most of us were not in Milwaukee when Sean Green had that incredible record setting game of nineteen total bases when he hit four home runs against the Brewers, but we all remember that day or where we were list or watching, or when we found out. So where were you yesterday? Were you listening to the game in your car or trying to sneak it in on the iHeartRadio app? Were you watching it somewhere? I mean Dodgers Marlins at one forty.
Speaker 3: On a weekday.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that's a headline grabber, but after Otani hits the fiftieth home run of the year, it feels like more eyes and ears started to come that to that game's way eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy And yesterday, after Otani's incredible game, he stopped for us on Dodgers Radio show, Hey, what was your emotions when this crowd in Miami gave you a curtain call after your fiftieth home run?
Speaker 4: Min Guja bummit.
Speaker 5: Stuffing his skin almost entice Oka.
Speaker 6: Come, Kitle.
Speaker 3: Hight.
Speaker 5: You know, as a player, I'm just very grateful and thankful that the fans have received me in the in this kind of fashion, and it's really about having quality at bats and winning games. I'm glad that we were able to do that today show, Hey.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had a game like you had today?
Speaker 2: Going back to high school, little League in Japans.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's first time ever. I don't I don't recall ever hitting him more than today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for stopping and congratulations on the postseason. Thank you all right, there is show hey o Tani yesterday in Miami after becoming the first play with fifty home runs and fifty stolen bases, and that doesn't even do him justice. If you go back to yesterday's game, he tied Paula Duka for the most hits in a single Dodger game, and he also broke Gil Hodges and James Loney's RBI record for the most driven in in a game. We had those two guys to first basemen drove in nine runs in a game, and yesterday Otani blew by that with ten RBIs. And you got to tip your cap to Skip Schumacher. That's what the Dodgers were doing after the game for not intentionally walking Otani when he had the opportunity during his at bat where he hit his fiftieth home run. So kudos to Skip Schumacher and Dino Ebol has been part of the Dodger coaching staff this season obviously, and Clayton McCullough at the first base coaching box. They've been big assets to not only Otani but everybody else on this team. And they've been there for all fifty two home runs and all fifty two stolen bases. And here's what the Dodger third base coach Dino Ebel described to us when Otani came around third base yesterday after he hit his fiftieth home run.
Speaker 4: It was I had the goosebumps when he hit it.
Speaker 7: I knew instantly the ball was out of the park and just to witness history there. And I was just watching him and watching his face expressions as he was getting closer to me at third base. I saw the smile and we did our natural the high five there and I was happy. And I know the team's happy, that the organization's happy, the fans are happy. But what a feeling for him, What a feeling for us and for myself seeing him come around.
Speaker 4: Third and get to slap high five on History night.
Speaker 2: How about all three of those yesterday? Was there a little something extra behind all three?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? You could tell he was zoned in. I felt in the beginning of the game it was his day. I don't know if he would tell you that, but he had a good look on his face. And after the first st at bat when he smoked the ball off the wall for a double, and then he tried to go for triple, and then I felt like that was the moment where maybe he thought in the back of his mind, maybe in mind and everyone else is he was going for the cycle.
Speaker 4: And you know he got thrown out at third.
Speaker 7: But what a night to have three homers, history making homer and have ten marviies to help the team win.
Speaker 2: That was Deno Ebol, the best third base coach in all a Major League baseball, describing what it was like to be there in the third base coaches box yesterday in Miami. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, we can all talk about how some players have hit three home runs. Even Nomar hit three home runs and drove in ten in Boston, But how many of them hit three home runs, had six hits, drove in ten, stole two bases, and oh, by the way, all of the baseball world is pressuring you or you're you're you're in the pressure cooker of the season playing for the Dodgers, trying to go for fifty to fifty. Nobody can say that it was a really special day, not only in Dodger history, but in baseball history. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Jennifer, who is at the game tonight. Hi, Jennifer, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hi did Hey? So it's Jennifer plus plus.
Speaker 6: One plus one. It's my dad. We were at the game.
Speaker 2: That's great. Where were you sitting tonight? Were you anywhere close to catching Otani's home run?
Speaker 8: I wish you were, Sadly, he hits twur towards right.
Speaker 1: We were more less field, but yeah, I almost got a couple.
Speaker 2: Fly balls outstanding. I heard it's your birthday. Happy birthday, Jennifer. Thanks for coming to the game tonight.
Speaker 9: Of course I want to be anywhere else in.
Speaker 3: The Dodger game.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Awesome? Enjoy the ride home and be safe up there. Let's go out to.
Speaker 2: Jonathan in Norwalk, who I'm told was in Miami yesterday. Jonathan, are you still on South Beach right now? Where are you the Cleveland or where we're not at right now?
Speaker 3: Brickle?
Speaker 10: How I thank you for having me? Actually I landed back in late today about four o'clock. So, but I was there yesterday. Man, I got to give it to.
Speaker 11: It was just magical, magical being there those three home runners at the end the game.
Speaker 10: It was it was just awesome. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: What what made you want to go to Miami?
Speaker 2: Was it spur of the moment to try to witness history or was this plan before?
Speaker 10: It was planned before? And I just got lucky enough to you know, I was there also on Wednesday. I was there Wednesday and Thursday, and yeah, we just got lucky enough to see history, you know, and it was amazing. I want to give a shout out to the Mornings organization. They actually put it off physical tickets for us to take home from memory.
Speaker 3: I actually heard that.
Speaker 2: I heard that if you were at the game yesterday you could go to the North box office and get a physical ticket for twenty five dollars or you got it for free.
Speaker 10: No, there's correct. It was twenty five dollars. And they said the proceeds up everything went to charity, all the money they sold the ticket for.
Speaker 2: Okay, one fine question set the scene for us. Where were you? Because I was just watching the replay of the video fans were taking of these two other people fighting for the baseball under a table out.
Speaker 3: There in right field. So where were you as far as your seats.
Speaker 10: I was by the by the left field pompo, So my seats were there, So I was in by the home run section, but I was by the pomple. I was pretty close, so pretty close by, right by the right kind of right by the by all right, all right, it was. There was a buzz in there, that's for sure, no doubt.
Speaker 2: That's the most buzz they've had at a Marlins game in a very long time.
Speaker 10: Definitely, definitely, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jonathan, thanks for the phone call. You know, I was thinking about this. Traveling with the Dodgers my thirteenth season, I have seen three big time Dodger performances in Miami, starting with Cody Bellinger in twenty seventeen hitting for the cycle. And I believe it was either twenty sixteen or it might have been twenty sixteen when Rich Hill had a no hitter and he was taken out because his so called finger was hot. But he was pitching great and should have had a no hitter that night. Yasiel Puig made an incredible catch in right field, and now Showho Tani with a record setting day in Miami as well. So that would be my top three Dodger performances in Miami the last thirteen years. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two, five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Mission Viejo. Brad, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Brad?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 12: Pretty good? The Dodgers did very well with the bullpen. A question, who's the lefty that's going to be key in the playoffs, like you know, where you get down to the strategies and the eighth and ninth innings where you you know, face the batter going on, who do you think is going to be that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be Well, there's two guys right now that stand out to me. Alex Vesia, who has obviously been pretty good for the Dodgers this year, and also Ryan Brazier going back to last year, Brad, it's been pretty effective against lefties. But you never know which starters may go to the bullpen. But right now, those two guys stand out to me the most.
Speaker 12: So Brazier is a lefty, then right he's a righty.
Speaker 2: But when the Dodgers acquired him from the Red Sox. They helped him refine his cut fastball that has been super effective against lefties. That's why if the Dodgers see a couple of lefties and they don't want to bring in Vessia, they have no hesitation to use Brazier. And that's why they used him to be the opener tonight because the Rockies had two lefties in their in the top of their lineup in black Men and McMahon tonight.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and in fact that Vessi gave it the home run. But he's been pretty good about that. Usually he's not giving up a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, he's been really good. Thanks for the phone call, Brad Hope, I answered your questions. Eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies six to four to lower their magic number to five. The Padres were one out a way from beating the White Sox in nine innings, but they gave up a game time two run home run and in the tenth inning, Fernando Tattis Junior walked it off for San Diego. So time is starting to run out on the Padres. Time is on the Dodgers. Side, and the magic number is at five with eight more games to go, including three against the Padres starting Tuesday night here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Speaking of questions.
Speaker 2: While we were on the road in Atlanta, specif there seem to be a lot of buzz that Shohi Otani may pitch in the postseason, And as I reported during those Dodger talk shows and drought throughout the week last week on the road, I was told the chances of Otani pitching were one to ten percent. My understanding was the Dodgers were going to come back to LA and have a meeting about whether or not they will allow Otani to continue his throwing program. But all season long, the Dodgers have maintained they did not envision Otani pitching in the postseason. Now, talking to some Japanese media members that have followed Otani going back to Japan, they believe Otani would love the stage of the World Series to pitch in. Not the NLDS, not the NLCS, the World Series. I had a chance to catch up with Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes earlier today and he gave us the definitive on the record answer on this date September twentieth about whether or not the Dodgers are considering allowing Otani to pitch in October.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, obviously shows going through his progression right now, but you know, him pitching in the postseason isn't really in the plans right now, and we're just gonna focus on setting a good foundation for twenty five and go from there.
Speaker 2: I know you guys have talked about him shutting down his throwing program as you get closer to the postseason. Is that a discussion that is still on the table.
Speaker 13: Yeah, We're gonna have a conversation here this weekend about it and get some more details on how, you know, the rest of the progression looks. But as far as you know, like I said, as far as pitching in the postseason, that's you know, not really an option right now.
Speaker 3: All right, there you have it on the record, the authority, the Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes, and after we were done talking right there, Andrew Friedman walked over.
Speaker 2: And he echoed those sentiments. It's not something the Dodgers are slamming the door on. But right now, like I told you last week, it's a long shot. There there is a very big, high risk for the Dodgers to try to force Otani to pitch in the postseason after he really hasn't done much of anything as far as throwing the hitters. So look, if he does pitch, it would be out of the bullpen for inning or two in the World Series. That's the only scenario I could see that happening. But like I told you, it is a big long shot. And forget about what I'm telling you. You just heard it right there from one of the decision makers, Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM.
Speaker 3: You had it right there.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Danny, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Danny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, thanks for giving me on man. That would be a heck of a secret weapon to bring a show. Hey Otani in you know, Game five or six or seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: Hey, Like I said, when I read Bill Plashke's column, that was a great column. But it's like I was down a Disneyland ride and at the end of the ride you see Otani the last man standing on the mount for the Dodgers in the World Series. It just seems like such a fairy tale. But it would be special if that were to happen. But who knows, Danny, Maybe you see that happen next year.
Speaker 11: Hey, maybe you see it happen the next five years, Dave, that'd be that'd be something nice.
Speaker 3: You want five in a row?
Speaker 11: I mean, why not, Dave? If you get the one this year?
Speaker 6: Who knows something happened?
Speaker 3: You're right?
Speaker 11: We wait along.
Speaker 9: We waited long enough.
Speaker 11: I think five in a row wouldn't.
Speaker 9: Be too much to ask.
Speaker 3: That's a lot to ask, Danny, But I love it. I'm being real with you.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to ask. Where were you yesterday when Otani hit his home runs?
Speaker 11: Well, I was in the shop, man the same, just about the same place I was when Sean Green did it against Milwaukee all that all those years ago. I was a much younger man back then, but I was working in the back room of a bookstore, listening on the radio, and that was another day game. And if I remember, Sean Green was having a really rough year and then he had that amazing game. All right, that wasn't the whole thing on the radio and same thing yesterday. I didn't have to go in, but I decided to go in instead of going in today because I thought he was going to do it today at the stadium. But I went in and sure enough, my phone starts blowing up, and you know I tuned into was five for five and six for six. Amazing, amazing day.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: You want to know a funny thing behind that Sean Green game in Milwaukee back in two thousand and one. You said he was having a rough year. You make it sound like it was August. It was early, it was in May, and yes he was in the early season slump.
Speaker 3: And how about this.
Speaker 2: When he got to Milwaukee, he spoke to then Brewer's hitting coach Gary Matthews, who he knew back in Toronto.
Speaker 3: And Gary Matthews, this is the way Sean.
Speaker 2: Green told me, helped him, not in a mechanical way, but more as a friend who coached him and was being supportive. And he also helped him evolve in Toronto. So the Brewers hitting coach, Gary Matthews helped Sean Green get his head straight to be able to have that type of game. And you know who was there, Danny Rick Monday. Rick Monday is the only Dodger broadcaster currently that was there when Sean Green hit his four home runs and had nineteen total bases, and was on the call yesterday when O'tani had his extraordinary performance.
Speaker 11: Man, the great Rick Monday. And you know what, I got a chance today before the game to see Tim Neverett walking around the club level and I took off to you to go up to him and tell him what a great call he made on the radio all his home runs. And I asked him. I was like, hey, do you plan what are you going to say or does it just come out? And he said, you know what, I just let her rip. And I was like, man, that's awesome, what a great answer. All right, We're so lucky to have that kind of broadcast team. Rick Monday's amazing.
Speaker 2: Man, Thanks Danny, thanks for calling love the passion. You have a lot of loyalty right there. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I said this yesterday that performance Byotani was the single greatest regular season game I've seen by a player. And speaking of Rick Monday, I asked him on the bus on the way to the airport whether or not that performance by Otani was the best he had ever seen.
Speaker 3: And he thought about it.
Speaker 2: For a second and he said, without a doubt, that was the best game he has ever seen played by a hitter in one regular season game. And he played over two thousand games in his major league career. He has broadcast over five thousand games. So forget about what my opinion is. But when you hear a guy like Rick Monday say that, that's high praise. And Mark McGuire actually called me today and told me to wish congratulations to show heyo Tani as well.
Speaker 3: I did not get close to Atani today, so maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Yesterday was as close as I'll get to him for a week or so. Now. Otani's great.
Speaker 2: He has so much around him, and it's just really special to see him compartmentalize everything and be able to have the focus that he has. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number, Rob, You're at Dodger Stadium tonight?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 3: Rob?
Speaker 2: Did you catch the Otani fifty second home run ball tonight?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 3: Dave, I sure did.
Speaker 6: I'm with my daughter. We drove out from Beaumont eighty six eighty seven miles east from here and I got here about the second inning. Now what, wait a minute, Wait.
Speaker 2: A minute, did you just say you caught the ball or you're just saying yes, you were here at the game.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I was here at the game. No today. I was here at the game yesterday. I saw it on TV and Beaumont, where I live. But I came for another purpose. We were invited by Drew Rumm was family to attend his a game here at Dodger Stadium. I accepted, I went ahead, We went with it. I asked her for a Colorado Rocky shirt and I put it on being a Dodger fan. I did it for the family. I did it for acceptance. I did it for appreciation that the imitation was sent. I love the fact that history is being made and here at Dodger Stadium, a fifty four year fan seen it all, being able to intermingle within different teams in the organization and just seeing them come ahead as great.
Speaker 3: All right, Rob love it.
Speaker 2: Can hear the emotion in your voice, and thanks for coming out tonight. You gotta do what you gotta do when you get a free ticket. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Had a chance to speak to Tyler glass Now today. He was in the interview room, and his season obviously ended on the last road trip, as he was preparing for a simulated game, he felt something in his right elbow, and that's where the Dodgers and glass Now decided that it wasn't going to work to push him forward any.
Speaker 3: Further this season.
Speaker 2: Here's what Tyler glass Now had to say earlier today about how things went down and how he's going to try to regroup and find a way to stay healthy for a full season years So kind of address a lot of LSU from yeah, part of the body.
Speaker 14: Yeah, for sure. I still think there's things I can do to try to prevent it in the future. But I think just because it is like the same thing over and over again, it's extremely frustrating. So I'm just trying to like at this point like kind of searching for answers and like a long term plan and we'll sit down and figure some stuff out. But I think the ultimate goal is is to always be able to pitch in the postseason, and that's like my my goal going forward. Just try to figure it out.
Speaker 9: This over your head how to take the justice or as part of that eighty less text siancros bull sessions and start.
Speaker 3: Sitting a lot theories on why there's so many interest in.
Speaker 9: Getting these things. I don't know.
Speaker 14: I think like I've changed it over the years. I got my workload throughout the week, throwing wise is really is like not. It used to be a lot when I was younger and then would do a lot and throw a lot of bullpens, and like as I've gotten older and like kind of had like measurable data from my weeks, like I've done I do a lot, Like I'll do a lot of stuff to keep my body in good shape, but like throwing wise, like I'm not doing that much stuff, Like I'll throw a bullpen throughout the week, but I'm not throwing a ton of pitches on my stresses during the week. Like my throws aren't high stress.
Speaker 9: It's not.
Speaker 14: I don't know if like anyone has really figured out exactly why. But I don't really do a ton of high stress things throughout the week. It's just I guess the starts in between and having a long extension and throwing hard and even this year, the conscious decision of like I'm not out there throwing everything as hard as I can, like my forcing Bilo's lower on purpose, like my I'm trying to go about it differently. I just think just that I guess how my body works and how long and tall I am.
Speaker 9: It's just tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been tough for glass Now's entire career to stay healthy for a full season. Last year career highs and starts and innings before this season, and it felt like the Dodgers were doing everything possible to keep glass Now as healthy as possible coming down the stretch, including you know, shutting him down before the All Star break. He was an All Star, he did not pitch in that game, and then all of a sudden, just things started to decline as the season got into the second half. So a disappointing finish to his first year with the Dodgers, But hopefully glass Now and the Dodgers can find a way to figure out a plan to try to keep him fresh down the stretch next season. Eight six six nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number speaking of pitchers. Clayton kershot through a thirty pitch bullpen session today.
Speaker 3: But my understanding is.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is on the rubber without that artificial platform, but he's still not able to leverage the rubber, meaning he's not able to really push off that rubber, and he is still a ways away from facing hitters. Until he can really leverage that pitching rubber, it's going to be tough for him to uh come back and pitch in a game. So that's where things are with Kershaw right now.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a time out.
Speaker 2: When we return, we will check in with Jose Mota get his thoughts on Otani tonight, Otani season, and tae Oscar Hernandez with his thirtieth home run of the year as the Dodgers defeat the Rockies six to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi thread two pitch, He's wings hips to drive the center, his bows back.
Speaker 1: Hell, Tony I going head home run Henna.
Speaker 3: Dodgers lead at three to two, A three two pitch and he hit a bullet out the center field. This man is unstoppable. Yeah right now, I would say that.
Speaker 2: Show hey Otani with a go ahead, two run home run with two outs in the fifth inning off of Kyle Freeland. That was an amazing home run because of where that pitch was. I know it was only ninety two, but it was at the top of the zone for him to be able to get the bat where it needed to be to hit that home run.
Speaker 3: Only Otani could do it.
Speaker 2: Very special player, and we are all witnesses to show hey Otani's twenty twenty four MVP season. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Dollars or more.
Speaker 2: Daniel's Jewelers own the dream. By the way, with Otani's fifty second home run of the year, he's only one home run behind Aaron Judge for the major league lead.
Speaker 1: How about that it's tough to go around the horn with Hosean Moda.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, you have seen every single Otani game going back to his first major league game, where does yesterday rank?
Speaker 3: Where do the last two days rank?
Speaker 5: For you?
Speaker 9: Oh my god, that is number one, and I mean put it all together to be nine for ten, that is one and one.
Speaker 12: A right there.
Speaker 9: I mean, this guy's just unreal. And when he gets in one of these roles and funny that you and I were talking in Atlanta about Otani needed to bring the other club. And that's what happens. He brought the other club. When he starts going the other way up Meddle, it just brings a game to another level. But there's so many things that, you know, I've been able to share with him. And yesterday when we got back to LA when I went to congratulate him, the first thing he says his playoffs. I playoffs. You know, there's so many things in his mind that he could think of. He says thank you, but he had a big smile, almost a cyber relief, saying I'm finally going to be able to play in October, which is obviously he's never experienced before, playing me full games September.
Speaker 2: That's what's so special about this season, Jose. With the Angels, he had a lot of individual accomplishments that were not really materializing into winning seasons with them. Baseball it can't just be a one man show. But in this context, with the injuries the Dodgers have had to the pitching staff, missing Freddie Freeman for a couple of weeks because of you know, personal issues, and losing Mookie Bets to a broken hand. His MVP caliber season has come in the process of helping the Dodgers to be in this position to get back to the playoffs.
Speaker 9: Well, he considered, you know, a guy that was not leading off to begin with, and Mookie Best was doing a fantastic job doing so. Then comes a Mookie injury. He has to move in there to propel you and to give you instant thunder off the bat. He's done that, He's scored over one hundred and twenty runs, I mean, driving one hundred and twenty runs. And with all that being said, Dave is the fact that he's never satisfied man. I mean and then I always say, and I've learned from big time players in the past, when they're striving for something individually milestones, it's a lot easier and more fun for them to be involved in the team atmosphere and not think about every eye is on me and think, if I contribute to my game, things are going to be happen organically, and I'm not going to have this pressure on me every single time. Every eye I mean including my teammates asking me, and and people when I arrived at the ballpark, when I leave the ballpark, anytime they see me. So he's been really he's benefited from the whole Dodger environment with guys that have been there before in terms of winning and play meaningful games. But because he's so special, he's reaching all these milestones and thresholds, is making it a little bit easier because focus has to be right on queue and he has to be able to make mechanical adjustments and keep his mind on one thing, which is always to think about if the stolen base make it meaningful that means he can score a run. He's made every single one of those things count, including having better best and being able to just turn back sometimes o'clock when he needs to to lightlight down to make sure that he goes back and says I'm going to go for contact, and contact is good enough for him.
Speaker 2: The one thing that I love tonight when you talk about team and in the team context. My favorite image of tonight was after he hit that fifty second home run coming back to the dugout, Oscar Hernandez was there with the sunflower seeds. And then when Taoscar Hernandez hit his thirtieth home run of the year, who was at the top step waiting to shower ta Oscar with those sunflower seeds.
Speaker 3: It was Otani.
Speaker 2: Those two guys have had a very special bond since media day back in spring training.
Speaker 9: Oh they have I think speaking Spanish and teaching, showing some Spanish, and you know the show asking him some questions and people knowing how endearing he has been with everybody in that club housing. But you know what happened today was that was number thirty and show He's like, I am waiting for that special moment. Which is another sign too, Dave, how Lucy is right now, like he's relieved. This whole thing is kind of just gone by the way side in terms of just for him to go, hey, I got to fifty, but there's more to do. But you know he knows some point that was a Taska man, a nice round number number thirty and more to go. It almost about to reach oud Urbistro I'm very happy that you know he gets all why that. But Taska is a guy, as you mentioned earner of the show too. Mister smiles plays every day post every day and he goes out there and just understand his role. And it's big to see that. You know, throughout the year, when there's many questions about when they sound ta oskar, how about about against riotings, how's he gonna do well, He's answered pretty much everything you need to answer, especially the fact that he's been one of my consistent hitters pretty much oh season long. We've been in scowl polition. So happy for him.
Speaker 2: Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight six to four. Tiascar, Hernandez, sho Hey, Otani, and Andy Paez all homer tonight. Before I let you go, Jose Mota, I was able to do some digging and I wanted to share with you your call of Otani's fiftieth home run of the season yesterday in.
Speaker 15: Miami Oldanias bet up, Lonzamento, Batasa, Prondo Anni, squerdo sa yo Nada.
Speaker 8: Estoria and Lol de papar fors seen Quentas and Guenta show hen Oani.
Speaker 2: History at Lone Park fifty fifty show. Hey o Tani, sayonara.
Speaker 9: Thanks for sharing that. You know what went through my mind there, Vince Kelly, I'm telling you that I when obviously you don't plant anything, you don't want anybody that happens. Just let it ride and enjoy the moment and let the fans talk. And I'm tell you, Dave his voice was in my head the entire time that is happening, like just little by little, tell everybody what's happening. But let the fans talk and let the environment just take care of the business. So thank Gottrol came out the way it did because that was, you know, quite a special moment.
Speaker 3: Let those eight thousand fans tell the story in Miami, right, fifteen thousands come on, thanks Oza, great call, and we'll see you tomorrow night. We'll see what Otani does to wow us.
Speaker 9: By the way, just clarify something real. I did ask Otani when he was with the Angels, and a lot of the Japanese meet it if it was okay for me to say that after home run, They're like absolutely, Sayonado, get out of here, bye.
Speaker 3: Get out of here. Yes, I have no issues with that. Thanks Jose. We'll see you tomorrow. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast on the call for Otani's historical home run and historical game yesterday in Miami.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow it will be Walker Buehler on the mound for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: He's one and five with an ERA of five point fifty four, going up against cal Quantrell, who is eight and ten with an ERA of four to sixty eight. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock tomorrow, first pitch from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at six ' ten on show Hey Otani t Shirt night.
Speaker 3: Could not have planned that any better.
Speaker 2: By the way, with the win tonight and the Padres winning and the magic number going down by one to five, the earliest the Dodgers could clinch the NLST would be on Tuesday, the first game of that Padre series. That'll do it for us tonight from Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to coling Ye back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening in case you miss any of the show. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, the final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers win their ninety second game of the year by defeating the Rockies six to four.
Speaker 3: We'll talk you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your night, be saved. See you