Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, redefining local news. Rain, some of it heavy, scattered here and there all over Massachusetts. Right now, it is seventy six degrees in Boston at eleven o'clock morning. I'm Kendlebule. Here's what's happening. The Massachusetts Senate set to vote today on a statewide cell phone ban in public schools, a formal session getting underway right now on Beacon Hill. The legislation would require K through twelve public school districts to have policies on the books before the twenty twenty six to twenty seven academic year banning the use of cell phones and personal electronic devices during school days. Students would be allowed to use the devices in certain cases, and each district's policy would need to allow at least one method for students to communicate with parents and guardians during the day. Many districts already have their own cell phone bans in place. The House has already passed their version of a statewide ban. The family of alleged Jeffrey Epstein victim Virginia Giuffrayes speaking out after President Trump said Epstein stole Geuffrey from our a Lago. The family also urging the President not to pardon Epstein's associate Zeelen Maxwell, who hired Jeufrey to be a missuse for Epstein, which allegedly led to Epstein's sexually abusing her. ABC's Jonathan carl has the latest.
Speaker 2: Maxwell is currently serving a twenty year prison sentence and is pushing for clemency. President Trump hasn't ruled out granting Maxwell clemency or even a pardon, but Guphray's family said quote, she must remain in prison. Anything less would go down in history as being one of the highest travesties of justice.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey herself committed suicide earlier this year, President Trump blasting a senator in his own party for supporting a bill that would ban stock trading by members of Congress. ABC's as well as the President and Vice President. ABC's j O'Brien has more for.
Speaker 3: By Senator Josh Hawley that just yesterday cleared a key Senate committee, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, that would seek to ban members of Congress from trading individual stocks to try to crack down that even appearance of potential impropriety, and it would also ban the president and the vice president from doing the same, but in that case it would only apply to the next administration.
Speaker 1: President Trump wrote on social media yesterday that Holly was a second tier senator and accused him of being a pawn for voting with Democrats to advance the bill. No injuries amazingly from the collapse of part of a brick facade on the busy Roslindale Street last night. Happened on Poplar Street around eight pm, a pile of bricks toppling onto the sidewalk outside the Felix barbershop. No one was walking by at that moment. Inspectors who rushed to the scene not long after first responders say there's concern more chunks of that building could come down. Scattered raincloud, some of them heavy. I want to continue throughout the day and tonight just a bit cooler, the mercury dropping down into the upper sixties during the day, down to around sixty degrees overnight, and we could see some flash flooding overnight when some of that rain is expected to be the heaviest. And don't forget there could be a thunderstorm or two in there as well. It's going to continue through early tomorrow before the rain goes away, we still just have a whole lot of clouds. And then Saturday Sunday, well, we got a really nice weekend ahead of us. We're talking plenty of sunshine, temperatures and the mid seventies on Saturday, low eighties on Sunday. Right now in Boston, we're seeing rain scattered here and there, moderates Outside our Medford studios right now, the temperature is at seventy six degrees. Sports betting making headlines for all the long reasons, from a betting scandal with pitchers a Major League based ball to a Boston based online sports titan facing a six figure fine. People having second thoughts about this controversial vice. Wbz's Jim McKay is finding.
Speaker 4: Out this really is a topic that gets varied opinions. What I'm asking people if they support sports gambling on the common I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I think you know, you should always be able to do whatever you want on.
Speaker 2: Your phone, just for me.
Speaker 5: I think it's also a little bit of a risk.
Speaker 4: Daniel used to bet online when it first got the okay, but he said he was quick to realize just how easy it is for a few bets to turn into a bigger problem.
Speaker 1: You don't see the money leaving your account.
Speaker 5: You don't really see the money changing hands.
Speaker 4: Boston based DraftKings was recently fined nearly a half million dollars for accepting credit card funds on bets. Now a second pitcher on the Cleveland Guardians being investigated by Major League Baseball over suspicion of betting on games. Daniel says he's done with sports betting.
Speaker 1: He learned his lesson. I may not know until the end of the month while I took this loss from betting, but.
Speaker 4: The tax revenue is now vitally important to states like Massachusetts. Jim mcka WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Tensis thousands of soccer fans coming to Massachusetts for the World Cup next summer. A new poll from acxio's Boston finds it most of its readers are on board with this plan. Fifty six percent like the idea the Bay state hosting the World Cup, forty three percent oppose it. Seven matches are already set to happen at Chelllette Stadium in Foxboro, and Boston's even hosting a party those in favor city. It's a great opportunity to show Boston is a world class city. Others are concerned about the potential troubles on the tee, the Republic trash collectors strike, and Greater Boston goes on and on. Here's wbz's Drew will Holland.
Speaker 5: The Teamsters Union Local twenty five job action is now in week five, and it is putting a strain on city workers who are picking up the slack. Those workers, also almost across the board, are getting rave reviews from residents and Beverly Commissioner of Public Works Mike Collins, Well, he's been busy and he seems to have the right demeanor for the job.
Speaker 3: There's always something going wrong, so why not a strike? You know, Like you said, a lot of raising from the people in the line. They're grateful for the health, they understand that everybody knows what's happening.
Speaker 5: And everybody appreciates the work Mike and his workers are doing. And this driver waiting to drop off some Beverly trash reminds me they've been That's true.
Speaker 3: Worse we just had to strike the teacher strike, so this is on top of that.
Speaker 1: But I think that was worse than this.
Speaker 5: All about perspective right in Beverly Drew maholland WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm at the Duel, WBZ Boston's news radio