Speaker 1: FBI negotiator Gary Nessner. He retired from the FBI in two thousand and three following a thirty year career as an investigator, instructor, and negotiator and FBI hostage negotiator. For thirty three years of his career, he spent ten years as the bureau's chief negotiator. In his book, Stalling for Time, the FBI's Chief Hostage Negotiator, takes readers on a howering tour through many of the most famous hostage crisis in history of the modern FBI, including the Siege at Waco, the Montana Freeman standoff, and the DC sniper attacks. Gary Nessner, Welcome to the show. It's an honor and a privilege to have you.
Speaker 2: Now, that's my pleasure to be with you today.
Speaker 1: Look at these events that were kind of leading up to Waco. It's very interesting the amount of distrust that's brewing against the FBI and government organizations in general. You start being with the jfk assassination November twenty second of nineteen sixty three. The FBI totally botched that investigation, and the American public wanted answers that the FBI didn't or couldn't provide, which created a lot of conspiracy theories, and that might be the cause of the original conspiracy theory because of the distrust and non transparent nature of government institutions. And then we have the Cold War, which created all this fear and panic from an outside force. And then this one, which is very important to mention is the way cults were being portrayed and looked at around the time too. You know, the Satanic Panic days, Jim Jones, the Jonestown cult where you know, the death toll was reported to be over nine hundred from mass suicide. And then we have the Ruby Ridge event in August of ninety two where Randy Weaver's son Samuel Weaver was killed and Vicki Weaver was killed by the FBI sniper. Now, it was portrayed that you were at Ruby Ridge in the Waco docu series on Paramount, but you weren't actually there.
Speaker 2: Correct, That's correct, That's correct. Well, you know your comment there, I mean it covers a lot of territory. I mean, the FBI has always had a I think an interesting relationship with the American people. I think go back to the early years, and you know with Jager Hoover, he built something quite unique and quite special and required much more education and science in the application of crime. The organization has never been perfect and has always made mistakes along the way, but by and large it earned i think rightfully so, the respect of the American people. But you know, as the years have evolved, and some of the FBI's mistakes and it's a human organization. It's a great organization, great people, but it does make mistakes have really come to rust. And of course now currently there's a there's a political element to it that there are those who are against the government no matter what the government does, and they they think the government's you know, evil and out to get them and take away their rights whatever it might be. That's kind of nonsensical when you really know the facts. But there's a lot of people that embrace that. And there's others today that for their own political gain, have decided to attack the FBI because the FBI is doing its job in investigating them, I mean, such as the case with Trump. So it's a it's a complex issue and when you go back to a Ruby Ridge or a Waco, these are very complex issues, and you know, people often forget that many prison riots and even right wing malicious standoffs that the FBI managed quite successfully before Ruby Ridge and Waco. In fact, I would I would suggest that the primary lesson learned from Ruby Ridge and Waco was for the FBI to do things again as we always had done before them. Those two incidents were really because of some personnel issues involved. We're really departures from doing things that we had gained a reputation of being the best in the world at doing. But it shows you how one one person in the leadership position who's not well trained or prepared can really create some significant reputational damage to an organization, I mean, and has real life consequences obviously. So yeah, so it's a complex issue.
Speaker 1: I agree absolutely. Now, did they consult you at any time during the eleven day standoff at Ruby Ridge or no?
Speaker 2: What happened with Ruby Ridge. At the time of Ruby Ridge, there were two full time hastas negotiators in the FBI. There's several three hundred four, three hundred and fifty I think negotiators spread throughout the field, and negotiation for them, as it is for the SWAT people, is a part time function. If there's an event the bank robbery skyjacking, they roll out on behalf of the FBI and respond. We only had two of us at Quantico at the time of Ruby Ridge, and we managed the program for all the others training guide and so forth operations. I was literally out of the country on a anniversary trip with my wife overseas and when Ruby Ridge occurred, so my partner was sent out to Ruby Ridge. So I was not there, as you suggested. The twenty eighteen Paramount six part mini series showed me there, And the reason they did that is because I was portrayed in the series by the actor, the great actor, Michael Shannon, and they needed to get him in the first episode, so they wrote me into that incident doing the things that in fact my partner actually did. And I wasn't, you know, particularly happy with that or comfortable with that. But one of the things I learned, when someone buys your book rights, then you have some influence, but you don't have control. And you know, Hollywood, I think they did a very good job on that series, but there's some things about it that I disagreed with, and some portrayals I would have liked to see done differently. But yeah, and one of the things about Ruby Ridge. As tragic as it was, you know, it started off between the Marshall Service trying to execute a warrant for atf shootout that resulted in Sammy Weaver being killed in one of the marshals, and then you know, the FBI was deployed out there with its blusted rescue team. It's tactical team, it's a national counter terrorism tactical team, and very quickly it accelerated and the FBI ended up shooting and wounding Weaver and one of his friends, and as they were running back into the cabin, one of those bullets went through a door and behind the door was Vicky Weaver, and it killed her while she's sitting there holding her baby. And it's an unbelievably tragic event. But what people forget is that situation was resolved peacefully through negotiations after about eight days whatever it was, despite a horrendous situation that the negotiators arrived at. It's kind of hard to make friends with somebody when you've shot them and their wives killed and their son's been killed, whether you were involved or responsible for that or not. In the case of the sun, so you know that that had not fully been resolved I legally or otherwise. Six months later when Waco occurred and we ended up having some of the same, in my view, deficient leadership decision making that really contributed greatly to the outcome.
Speaker 1: Would that be considered in your personal views as successful?
Speaker 2: No? No, I didn't mean to suggest I thought the incident was success. Well, I'm just saying it was successfully negotiated. I mean, in many respects shows the value and power of negotiations that, despite these horrendous conditions that had taken place before, communication was open. Despite that, nonetheless, negotiations were able to resolve at peacefully, and that accrues to my partner and the team he had out there. So I think that's just an important note to make. No success when I mean, when innocent lives are lost, it's never it's never a success.
Speaker 1: Right, Thanks for clearing that up. Would there have been anything I know this is hyperbole in conjecture. Would there have been anything that you would have done differently at the standoff Rubui Bridge if you were there were there negotiations between Brandy and the f during the eleven days at all?
Speaker 2: Yes, there were later on, But what I would have done differently is. I wouldn't have started out with a what we call rules of engagement that essentially said the FBI marksmen could shoot anybody they saw with a weapon. I mean, not only is that the wrong approach, but it's also illegal. It's unconstitutional. You know, an FBI agent, a police officer is allowed to use deadly force only to save their life or the life of someone else. You can't just shoot somebody because they have a gun or they've done something bad prior. So that I think was a terrible set of instructions that FBI personnel were given and sent up the mountain, and those conditions presented themselves, and sure enough shots were fired, and it just made an already bad situation with Sammy Weaver having been killed by the marshals, just made a bad situation worse. So I would have started out with negotiations. We always say it's easy to move easier to move from negotiations to tactics if absolutely necessary. It's very hard to start off with tactics that go badly and then succeed with negotiations.