Speaker 1: Well, here's the patio of doctor Watson's Northern California bungalow.
Speaker 2: But where's the doctor?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll be right there. I was sitting by the fish pond, doctor.
Speaker 3: Yes, my boy's not a person out here for change.
Speaker 4: It never occurred to you, how stupid the expression of a goldfish is.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't say I've ever given it my thought.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 4: Why see this foolish little fellow here with his silly little mouth opening and closing as though you were constant fear astonished?
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 3: I thought you were a fish lover.
Speaker 4: Yes I am, but I was brooding over tonight's story. That goldfish seem to be making faces at me, as though it was trying to remind me of how my face must have looked on a certain June evening in eighteen hundred and ninety.
Speaker 1: This sounds to me as if you're going to tell a story against yourself.
Speaker 3: Doctor. I am young colume lad.
Speaker 4: What happened one Sunday morning in eighteen ninety I dropped around to visit my friend in Baker Street. Missus Hudson told me that he was out, but suggested that I wait in our old rooms for his return and promised me a part of strong tea some buttered scones as an inducement, And I walked into.
Speaker 3: The sitting room.
Speaker 4: I was astonished to see Holmes standing there, a bag in one hand and the other. I am fine, Homes, I'm surprised to see you, though missus Hudson told.
Speaker 3: Me that you were out.
Speaker 2: I happy Watson on a case, and I just returned by my private entrance for some man some necessary apparations.
Speaker 3: Could I come with him?
Speaker 4: My wife's away enough, But my practice is quite flat the moment.
Speaker 2: Not even my trusty old friend Watson can accompany me on this case. It's a ticklish business. The fate of two nations hangs in the balance, and his work alone. Sorry to leave you like his holf alone.
Speaker 3: Goodbye.
Speaker 4: Oh when when miss missus Hudson's making me some tea and some battered scones, can't you wait and share them with me?
Speaker 2: Ha ha, good old Watson, the ore the one fixed point in a changing age. Empires are tottering and you talk of tea and buttered scones.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, we awful google.
Speaker 2: Oh holda, looks I said. The time is right, I'll tell you all about the case and you can write it up in your memoirs.
Speaker 4: Good by boy, buttered scums. I haven't got any appetite for him.
Speaker 5: Now, did you enjoy the scuns, doctor Watson?
Speaker 4: I'm afraid my appetite disappeared when mister Holmes left.
Speaker 5: I did it.
Speaker 6: I see you've eaten them all just the city, so I did. I've got a surprise for your doctor, Inspector less trade is downstairs.
Speaker 5: He came to see mister Holmes, but when I told him he was out, the inspector said he'd like to see you.
Speaker 3: We did splendid ask him to come up. Please will you will?
Speaker 5: Missus Hudson, I, sir, will you come up? Please?
Speaker 3: Inspect him?
Speaker 5: Can I? But he got a few more scuns?
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, thank you. I couldn't need them.
Speaker 1: I'll just go and make them more of the saying you leaves them if I fixed them.
Speaker 4: No real ah, there you are the story, doctor watching.
Speaker 2: Here's a pretty kettle of fish, and no mistake.
Speaker 3: What's the trouble?
Speaker 7: Well, I want miss Thrones up on a most important case.
Speaker 3: Where's he gone? Well, he's out on a very secret matter.
Speaker 8: You know where he is.
Speaker 3: That's why I know where he is the start.
Speaker 4: My old friend never keeps me in the dark, but I'm not at liberted to tell you per's and I.
Speaker 3: Could help you a bit.
Speaker 4: After all, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with with.
Speaker 3: My friend's methods.
Speaker 7: That's true, but just the same a world, doctor, two weds are always better than one, even if one is a sheep's head.
Speaker 8: As my old mother used to say, Are.
Speaker 3: You suggesting that I'm a sheep's head.
Speaker 7: I'm not suggesting anything, doctor, I'm just telling you what my old mother used to say.
Speaker 4: I'm really not very interested in what your old mother used to say. And now the start of your problem.
Speaker 8: Please where it's simple enough, doctor.
Speaker 7: A German diplomat, Graf Otto von eldenstan Is. His name is in England on a very secret mission.
Speaker 3: Otto on handlesigre. So I've heard of him. Pray continue well.
Speaker 7: This von Eldenstein staying at the manor house at Hampton Wick, not far out of London. This morning somebody slipped past his guards and threw a bomb into his study. His secretary was killed, and he would have been two if it hadn't been that.
Speaker 8: He left the room a few minutes.
Speaker 4: Early these secondhand investigations of a little useless starle. We must both go down to the manor house at hampton Wick and examine the situation on the spot, or get out the timetable and look up the next train, will you? And while you're doing that, I'll go to missus Hudson where I'm going? All right, yard, I was just bringing them up to cons who can think of scones when an power is tottering?
Speaker 5: You're feeling quite well.
Speaker 3: I am now listen to me, Missus Hudson.
Speaker 4: If mister Holmes should return, please tell him as I've gone to hampton Wick with inspectless start to investigate the Vanheldenstein business.
Speaker 5: The fun Hildenstein business. I don't. I'll tell him that.
Speaker 3: Mister Holmes didn't. Didn't tell you where he was going to.
Speaker 5: Be, No doctor, he didn't.
Speaker 3: I see you all right? Well, thank you, missus Hudson.
Speaker 5: Are you sure you don't want the scones doctor?
Speaker 3: Well, well, I might as well take him along. I just say the strad could eat him.
Speaker 5: You're the one doctor.
Speaker 4: Yes, I suppose this is rather exciting. Just the same, I wish I knew what Holmes was doing at this moment.
Speaker 3: You are hair Shallow Homes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I presume Graph authors from Hiltonstein is expecting me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Holmes, he was so anxious that you would come here to the manor house.
Speaker 2: I'll have to meet today after I got summons.
Speaker 3: He's very weak.
Speaker 9: He has lost much blood from the injuries she received.
Speaker 2: This morning, injuries that no one knows about it.
Speaker 9: Nine hair homes only I his old and faithful servant. Nos follow me, please, I will take you to him.
Speaker 2: Franz France. Is that you Frants?
Speaker 9: Yeah, hair Graph and with me is hair shallow Holmes.
Speaker 2: H Thank Kevin you are here, Homes. I hope I can be up service to you, sir, you can. You can be of great service. Sit close to my bedrooms. I have not much strength to speak. I'm listening her graph. You you must impersonate me. Yes, when I received your message, I am in England and the most dedicate and important mission for the German government is in a few weeks your government and mine will conclude a treaty outlining the German and British spheres of interest in Africa. I see obviously that Palmer is strong this morning by someone who does not wish the treaty to be concluded. Yeah, exactly, hair Homes. That is why you must impersonate me. In twenty four hours time, I shall be well enough to resume my work. In the meanwhile, you can keep the secret of my injuries and also have the opportunity of finding the assassin. I' quite prepared to want to take the impersonation, sir, butert, how can I possibly hope to deceive the members of your personal staff. With the exception of France here and poor Friuline Uhlmeyer, who was killed in the explosion that insured me, my staff is new. They have joined me here from the German consulate in London. They will believe that you are me very well, so I'll try it. I have heard of your skill in the art of disguises, and also it seems to me we are not so unlike each other. I was about to comment on that fact myself, Sir. Yes, and I think that the mustache from side whiskers will work. Wonders if I can make the accent reasonably convincing, I will court you, my friend. The spend it helped me off with my coat. Will you fans get your towels in my mirror, and while I'm applying my makeup haircraft. But perhaps you will be so good as to give me the complete circumstances regarding this morning's attempt on your life. If I am to impersonate you successfully, I must have all the facts of my fingertips.
Speaker 3: He Wunderball.
Speaker 9: It is amazing at Homes even I can hardly tell you for my masters.
Speaker 2: I think it's the wig that puts the finish, finishing touch to my disguise. How to look for you, AGraf Colossal. I feel as if I were looking into a mirror and my excellent you will find it reasonably convincing. Oh yeah, yeah, extremely so try it once again, hair Homes, Yeah, hair graph. It gives me the greatest pleasure to do what you ask of me.
Speaker 3: They splendid their own splendi.
Speaker 9: A cabin thrown up at the gate. Two men are getting out.
Speaker 3: You can see them from the window here.
Speaker 2: The police possibly are Great Scott's friends of yours, hair Homes. One of them is my close colleague and the other is a detective inspector from Scotland. Are you must keep up the deception even with your friends. As a matter of fact, my friend's investigations will prove an excellent mask for my own search for the assassin. But well, this is a delicious situation. I hope they won't recognize me. I am graf Otto von Hildenstein. Gentlemen, you wish to see me, you do so.
Speaker 4: My name is Watson, doctor Watson, and this is inspect The star has got in.
Speaker 2: The inspector, Doctor Watson. May I ask if I have the great distinction of addressing d Doctor Watson, friend.
Speaker 3: Of Sherlock Holmes, that you know me, her Guff, But who.
Speaker 2: Does not know the great doctor Watson. In my country, many people think that you are the real brains of the combination. And tell me, her doctor, is that true? You have both come here to investigate what occurred this morning?
Speaker 7: Yes, we have.
Speaker 3: Peace.
Speaker 2: Sit down if you can find any furniture that is unbroken.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, sir. I must say the place is a bit of a mess.
Speaker 4: And now her Guffer please tell us exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will tell you everything here doctor. This morning I was working in here with my secretary, poor pro Line Ulmar. I had occasion to upstairs to my room to get some necessary papers. As I came down the staircase into returns. Here I heard, I screamed from Folene Ulmayer. A moment later there was the most frightful explosion. The concussion stunt me. When I came to my poor secretary was dead.
Speaker 7: What people were inside the ass at the time of the explosion?
Speaker 2: The seventh fair all at the church. The only people here was my secretary who was killed, my seven friends. I can vouch for him because he was upstairs when I went for my documents. There were three other people in the house, however, Madame Lisa Barona, my hostess, and the owner of this house, a young englishman from the Home Office. His name is Hilary Adams. And the third person in the house was a member of the German Embassy College figer Oh.
Speaker 4: Then it's just a matter of cross questioning the three of them as to their alibis at the time of the explosion. I've taken one at a time to start ring for that servant fellow what was his name?
Speaker 2: Front? At least he's a rare privilege to watch a master detective.
Speaker 3: What, yes, helographer.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't be surprised if my cold teach you quite a bit about the the art of detection.
Speaker 2: Doctor Watson. This is Colonel Schweiger, after Charman embassy.
Speaker 4: Where were you, Colonel Schwager when the explosion occurred this morning?
Speaker 1: I was discussing the military tactics of Klasswits with one.
Speaker 2: Of the guards made of front gates.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, what was the name of the guards?
Speaker 3: Carter?
Speaker 2: Mister Arthur Carter, I'll check on.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Colonel Schwager. Please ask Madame Lissa Verona to come in with.
Speaker 5: Question questions, nothing but question leave me.
Speaker 4: Alond well, sorry, Madam. All I want to know is where were you when the explosion occurred this morning?
Speaker 6: Listening that stupid dabblings? Are the young englishman Hilary Adams the graph? When I offered you my house, I did not know that I would have to put up with a love making of your stuff everywhere you followed.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, Please don't get so excited, Madam Verona.
Speaker 5: Questions questions stupid?
Speaker 6: Your English pott is making cap eyes at me.
Speaker 5: But beautiful heart blue to Peter's not you.
Speaker 4: Doing, mister Adams? Were were you when the explosion occurred?
Speaker 3: Madame Verona is sweet and you swear to that. Of course I do. You may ask I've already done so, sir. Thank you, mister Adams, thank you. It's all you. You would go well. Star.
Speaker 4: Did you check on COLONL. Schreiger's alibi? Yes, doctor, he was telling the truth. He was talking to the colonel when the explosion happened.
Speaker 2: Dear me, he doctor, your examin nation has not been very successful, has it. Everyone has an alibi.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the alibi is of Madame Verona and the young englishman who Adams depend on each other's words.
Speaker 3: They might be lying.
Speaker 4: When you've been dealing with criminals. As long as I haveograph, you learn to look far deeper than the obvious. Yes, the Strada and I shall return to London now and make some inquiries. You will hear from me, sir before the day is over.
Speaker 7: Ah well, much obliged to you, doctor for a very nice meal. Although we've been talking in circle, not entirely anyway.
Speaker 3: I have come to one important decision.
Speaker 8: And what's that doctor.
Speaker 4: Madame Verona is addicted to the use of drugs. The pupils of her eyes were contracted to pinpoints. It's an invariable indication of drug addiction. The Strada, you got a stock in the yard and see what you can find out about her, and I'll go back.
Speaker 3: To my house. You can meet me there later.
Speaker 4: I wish Mayor wasn't away the cook side out confronted, I can't see a thing.
Speaker 3: I'll strike a match that's better. Hello, who's that in the drawing room?
Speaker 8: Who is it?
Speaker 3: Watson?
Speaker 4: I thought you would never come homes when earth ke spring prom Never.
Speaker 2: Mind that, old Chap. I've come to warn you keep out of the von Hilton's dying business. If you value your life, well, how did you know that? I was working on the can And I'm to tell you now, but I'm for you keep out of it. There are dangerous forces at work, Horsester, but snap out your life without a thought. Please believe me, old Chap.
Speaker 8: And he was quick, Watson?
Speaker 2: How did I do?
Speaker 1: You'll hear the rest of doctor Watson's story in just a few seconds. All the time, I need to remind you that, what with this being National Wine Week, if you want to take a gift to a young lady, why not take her a bottle of Petree California muscatel. Petrie muscatel is the kind of wine you'd serve a queen. That Petrie Muscatel has the flavor of plump sun ripe and muscat grapes, and is it ever good? You couldn't ask for a more delicious after dinner wine, or a more delicious wine to serve when company comes. Remember it's muscatell, But the important thing is it's Petrie Petree muscatell. And now back to Doctor Watson and tonight's adventure the Manor House case. That was a fine place to break off your story, doctor, I must say you and as much suspense as possible for what happened next? Were you and Holmes injured when that bomb exploded?
Speaker 4: No, no, my boy, The concussion of the explosion knocked me out for a few minutes.
Speaker 3: When I came to Holmes had disappeared.
Speaker 2: And I can imagine where he gone go on dock.
Speaker 4: Soon after that Mustart arrived on the scene, and after quick and fruitless examination of the premises, we decided to return once more to the manor house. And so an hour later I was telling my story to the man I still thought to be the graph Otto von Helden stuff.
Speaker 2: But this is grateful hairtop that the bomb might easily have killed you, who I was ready for it so quick thinking in presence of mind of my stock in trade.
Speaker 3: You know, when I heard the glass crash, I find myself under the dining room table.
Speaker 2: I most distress that you yourself should be exposed to such day.
Speaker 4: John the tall her graph. As a matter of fact, I exposed myself deliberately to the tech. It's an old arm trick, you know what we call drawing the enemy's far Come.
Speaker 7: Now, you don't mean to tell us that you expected to have that bomb checked through the window at you.
Speaker 4: Also, I did a star. The assassin knew that I was in working on the case. He followed me to London and fell into the trap just as I intended.
Speaker 3: Him to by you showing his hand.
Speaker 2: I don't see what he's got your doctor, I myself must admit, I cannot see that you are any nearer to finding the murderer on the country.
Speaker 3: So the case is nearly solved.
Speaker 8: I don't see how you figured that one out, Doctor.
Speaker 4: Element Illstard Elementary, one of the three people under suspicion, followed me to my house tonight. The second bomb was thrown at approximately seven o'clock. Now it's only a question of finding which one of the three cannot account for his movements at that time.
Speaker 3: Then we shall know the murderer.
Speaker 7: You want to cross examine the McGain, Doctor.
Speaker 4: Yes to start, bring him in. Please one at attire Treschwaiger, Where were you at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Tonight discussing the military tactics of closets with mister Carter the Home Office?
Speaker 3: It's because were you doing at o'clock this morning too?
Speaker 1: It would take many days of discussion for two students to appreciate all the subtleties.
Speaker 4: Of class with I'll check on that again, doctor, Thank you, and please ask Madam Verona to come in.
Speaker 3: Will you question?
Speaker 9: Question?
Speaker 6: And still more questions there about that seven tonight you asked me. I was listening to more bubblings from that stupid young englishman asking for yourself.
Speaker 4: Mister Adams, where were you at seven tonight with Madame Verona and Budoir?
Speaker 2: There is a curious sameness about the pattern of life in this house. Is they're not hair? Doctor?
Speaker 7: I checked on Colonel Schweiger's statement. It was true he was talking the car at seven o'clock, all right, and well could the other two account for themselves?
Speaker 3: Doctor? Once again? They alibi for each other.
Speaker 2: But this time, I begin to doubt the more white white you say that hair, Doctor, I.
Speaker 4: Would accept Madam Corona's alibi for young Adams. Obviously she loads the boy and wouldn't pursure herself for him. On the other hand, he worships her, and I'm certain that he wouldn't have any scruples about lying to provide an.
Speaker 3: Alibi for her.
Speaker 8: You got a point there, doctor.
Speaker 4: Yes, Regatta with great suspicion. Yeah, come in, Uh yes, mister Adams.
Speaker 2: Doc Watson, I've been worrying about Madam Verona.
Speaker 1: I was afraid you wouldn't believe my alibi for her. Indeed, I have another, an unbiased witness, who can testify that Madame Verona was in.
Speaker 3: This house at seven tonight. Come in, France, ye have all dating your hair. France. Did you see Madam Verona at seven tonight?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I take up two glasses of shering to her. It was a few minutes before seven.
Speaker 4: Thank you answer, Thank you, mister Adams. I appreciate your concern.
Speaker 3: You muld go.
Speaker 8: He seems to me we're still traveling in circles.
Speaker 3: Doctor, from the country, my dearest child. The case of song.
Speaker 2: Indeed, you astonish me. He doctor, who is the guilty party?
Speaker 4: You will know in a minute, Sir a child, bring the free suspects, and please, when they are assembled, I will give you the solution to the mystery. Ladies and gentlemen, my mystery is solved, and I mist apologize for her little convenience inconvenience with you've a gone. You, Madame Baroner, you coonl Schweiger, and you, mister Adams have all unshakable alibis.
Speaker 3: Therefore the solutions obvious.
Speaker 4: As my dear friend Slack Holmes is often said, eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is the truth.
Speaker 3: Therefore, the only person that could have thrown both bombs is you.
Speaker 4: Yourself, yourself, graf Atto von Heldenstein.
Speaker 8: Sure I believe you're right, doctor.
Speaker 2: What have you got to say to yourself that I, too, hair doctor, have an unshakable alibi?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: I've asked it, you, hair doctor? When the second bomb was.
Speaker 3: Thrown, I want to know if you're talking about I was alone.
Speaker 2: Come now, old fellow, that's not true.
Speaker 3: Holmes, how could your.
Speaker 8: Mister will strike me?
Speaker 2: Don't be angry with.
Speaker 3: Me, Chap.
Speaker 7: You've got the real solution of the case.
Speaker 3: As usual, mister, I might.
Speaker 2: As well show me upper rating yourself. You really handled the case very well. You made only one mistake. May I revise that dictum of mine which you just quoted. Eliminate the possible, and then if nothing remains, some part of the impossible must be possible. Colonel Schmicker's alibi was valid, so it was Madam Verona's since it was corroborated by the trusty Francs. But what does your alibi rest on, mister Adams.
Speaker 8: Madame Rohners told you I was here at seven, Yes, but not.
Speaker 2: A Verona is addicted to the use of drugs. I'm sure that you spotted that back, Watson, Yes, I did. Your mistake, Old Chap was in not drawing the correct conclusion, mister Adams. Alibi depends on the unsupported word of a drug addict. Now, the use of drugs notoriously destroys, first of all, the sense of time. Any tricks such as the resetting of trucks could be worked on her without her noticing her word on a time alibi as completely valued.
Speaker 3: When Adams is the man who's metters, I don't he's a murderer and a traitor.
Speaker 2: Well, now that we're back in Baker Street, Watson, I may as well tell you that I had my suspicions of Adams from the first. Well, my brother Micraft had told me that he was suspected of being a traitor at heart, he's been under observation for some years. He was purposely given this assignment as a definite test of his integrity.
Speaker 4: Well, I understand it all now, Holmes, is the same I did make it, ask for myself in front of a straw.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it, old Chap, Please don't worry you. You always can correct that impression. You know yours will be the last word you. Well, when you come to write this story and your memoirs, my dear fellow, you can always do a little what you say re.
Speaker 3: Editing of your own part.
Speaker 2: Posterity never need no