Speaker 1: It's Nightside. Who's Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much to call. No, we're not gonna pun tonight. Those are lousy football games. Come on those. None of those teams are any good. It's as simple as that. But we're very good here on Nightside. We meaning myself and Rock Brooks, the producer of this program. I am Dan Ray. My name is Dan Ray. Here all week. We got quite a week coming up for you here on Nightside. Tomorrow night at nine o'clock, we will have as a very special guest, New Hampshire Governor Christinoon, who, probably his last appearance in his capacity as Governor of New Hampshire is my favorite governor here in New England, favorite governor of the United States as far as I'm concerned. He's entertaining, he's fun, he is entertaining, he is fun to talk with and talk to, so we are looking forward to that. Later on this week, we will have the WBZ car guys in on Thursday night from ten to twelve, and on Friday night we will finish my broadcast year with our twelve annual charity combine. So we've got lots to do, lots to do this week, and we will start it off this hour. This will be our second last Nightside News Update. Producer Marita will be having a few days off this week, so as a consequence, we won't be doing the Nightside News Update tonight. We will and tomorrow night but on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before hours of talking Conversation, We're going to start off tonight with the director of Communications of the National Fire Protection Association, Tom Lyons. Tom this, of course, in the holiday season you see these horribly cruel stories about a fire that will make a family of five homeless. December ironically is the leading month for home fires. Why is that?
Speaker 3: Welcome to Nightside, Hey, Dan, thanks so much for having me. I'm a long time listener of yours and a watcher when you're on TV, so I really appreciate you having us on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pleasure.
Speaker 3: Well, when you think about you know, December being the top month for our home fires, you know, the major causes of home fires are cooking, heating, and electrical systems, and those are all more prevalent during this time of year. You put on top of that the holiday festivities where people are using candles more, they're bringing Christmas trees into their home and other festive decorations. Those also increase the potential fire hazards. But the good news is, you know, many of these risks are preventable, and with awareness and by taking a few simple precautions, you can stay safe and avoid those terrible tragedies that we too often see this month.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned my time as a tellers were important. Yeah, I used to see some of the worst fires of the year, and I always assumed, yeah, you know, people hadn't take care and hear of the heating system, or they used too many plugs and overwhelmed and outlet all and of course that happens with you know, lights during the Christmas season. I got a question for you before we get into what people can do. I have recently, just for the fun of it, I watched one of these ads on the internet. I think they're on the TV as well, where there's a kitchen fire and people are throwing water at it and flour and of course it's only getting worse. And then they were advertising basically this cloth that you would throw over the fire to suffocate it. Those pretty effective. I've already bought some so from my family members if they're ineffective, you know, you tell me and I'll tell them not to use them. What's your take on that, because you look at it on television it looks like they do indeed put the fire out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, there are a number of fire safety organizations that are looking into those products. They're fairly new. The truth is there's not a lot of there's not a lot of data on how effective they are and how to use them appropriately. So they're getting a lot of focus right now to see if there's some you know, some science based guidance that we can give people in terms of the fire science, but not a lot of data right now. What we tell people in terms of cooking fires is, you know, one of the easiest things you can do is just keep a lid by any of your pots and pants. So if you get a small grease fire, you just pop that lid on there and starve the fire of oxygen, and you know, hopefully that will take care of your problem.
Speaker 2: I think that's the same principle they're applying here. But we'll figure it out. I'll let you know.
Speaker 3: You know, Okay, Well, I hope you don't have a chance to use it.
Speaker 2: No you know, we have fire extinguishers and stuff like that too, which I think can important to have. As I said, I covered a lot of fires, and I'm fearful of fires, to be honest with you, because I've seen the result. I even had the misfortune of being at the Station nightclub fire a few hours after that inferno down in Warwick, Rhode Island, back more than a few years ago now. And people, you know, they have you know, candles burning in rooms and there are people not in the room, and all of a sudden the candle can go out, can fall off the table or something. Give us some good tips that people can keep in mind. They want people to come to their homes and they want to have it look festive. What are some of the things that people should really be cognizant of and make sure that they don't overdo it. Let's put it like.
Speaker 3: That, right, Well, let's start with cooking, because that's the number one cause of home fires all year round, cooking fires, and so you know, with holiday gatherings, kitchens are busier usually and distractions are more common, so that leads to the risk of cooking fires. You just want to make sure you're paying attention to what's in and on top of the stove, particularly if you're frying or satang something. And like I said before, you want to make sure to have first of all, that you're in the kitchen when those when that frying or satang is happening, and make sure you have a lid nearby to cover up a grease fire. Never use water, right, we all know that, but we should remind people never use water to try to put out a grease fire. And we also tell people to make sure that that cooking area is a kid in a pet free zone. So if anything gets inadvertently knocked off the stove, nobody's going to get injured or burned. And a quick tip on how to make sure that doesn't happen is to take the handles of your pans, your pots, and pants and turn them inwards so they're not hanging out over the stove.
Speaker 2: Those are some great suggestions, Tom. I mean that seriously, because again it's the sort of thing that you don't think of if you're rushing and you just don't take that extra second to push the handle away from the edge, so no kid's going to come running by and knock it over. And I know that has happened. Unfortunately. That's right. So this is a wonderful time of year, but we also have to be concerned about lithium batteries as well as I understand it correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, lithium ion batteries are in most of the gifts that we give and receive, but they can pose a potential fire risk if they're damaged or improperly used. So you know when you're purchasing items that use batteries and make sure you're getting them from a reputable manufacturer. And you want to avoid these cheap knockoffs or potentially counterfeit products because they're just not worth the risk. You want to make sure to follow the manufacturers instructioning instructions on charging in use. Overcharging or exposing batteries to high heat can actually increase the risk of fire in these batteries, and these batteries when they catch on fire, they can be very dangerous. They burn very hot, and they're very difficult to extinguish.
Speaker 2: Want to make sure of them that they combust spontaneously. Inside cars, we've we've seen some terrible fires that not only not only affect the car, but if there's another car park nearby. You can lose two or three or five or six cars pretty easily.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're very very hot fires and difficult to extinguish. You want to make sure that you're charging these not on you know, on a hard surface, not on beds or soft sofas. They can actually trap the heat and run up the temperature of the battery. And if the battery shows any sign of damage like swelling or even smoking, you should definitely not use that. Stop using it immediately.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Tomlindes, all great points, and thanks so much. We should have you on again during the year to just remind people. Maybe if there's one person tonight who will remember what you said and there you'll never know whether the fire has been avoided. But you've done a great public service joining us tonight. Tom. Hope you and yours have great holidays.
Speaker 3: Well, a happy holiday, Dan. We really appreciate you having us on and we'd love to come back.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a Christmas guy. Do you celebrate Christmas?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Merry Christmas to you and thank.
Speaker 2: You all right, Thanks Tom, talking to you soon. Have a great night. We come back. Fascinating story about mold dogs. See we're gonna talk with Susan Russell. She's the CEO of Mold Dogs. No, let me tell you this is really interesting or it's actually singular mold dog knows I misread it, but this is interesting. What dog?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: We are always amazed at what dogs are able to accomplish for us, to help us. They are indeed man and I would say women's best friend is well. Well, we'll be back at night Side. My name is Dan Ray. This is WBZ in Boston, Boston's news radio ten thirty and your AM dial. If you just happen to listen to us tonight for the first time, you can lock us in your car radio or lock us in in your home radio. You can also find us on the iHeart app, pretty easy to find. That is a downloadable app, free of charge. You can listen to WBS or any iHeart station three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna learn something about the sick building syndrome. With us. Is Susan Russell. She's the CEO of mold dog knows Susan Russell, Welcome to WBZ. I have heard of the sick building syndrome, but I've never had someone describe it to me. Does this pretty much involve mold and that's the problem that that's the problem, know you what you're dealing with.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's one of the biggest problems, one of the biggest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just curious what are some of the others. I mean, we've seen these stories about, you know, the apartment building in Miami a few years ago which collapsed. It wasn't done, it wasn't done properly. And there's a building here in Cambridge, Massachusetts where they've just had long time condominium molders evacuate so they can I guess make the building stronger or basically is going to take them a year to renovate. It's a beautiful building, beautiful local.
Speaker 5: Well wow. Yeah, yeah, there are a lot of problems out there with the way that buildings are built. But my specific area of expertise would be.
Speaker 2: With the mold.
Speaker 5: And we have a mold dog that actually can detect We have two mold dogs that can detect hidden mold that you know, can't obviously cannot be seen. A lot of people think about mold in a building that's making them sick, and then they're looking around and they're saying, no, I.
Speaker 3: Don't don't see anything.
Speaker 4: It's even beautiful.
Speaker 5: New homes, brand new homes.
Speaker 2: So how do you train a dog to detect more?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't train a dog. They are All of our dogs have gone to very high level canine facilities. One is the Ford of Canine Academy and the other is Sector Canine that we used. These are professional canine handler trainers that come from military, law enforcement or contract workers fb FBI, DEA. And you know, training a mold dog is really no or not really no different. It is no different than training a dog, whether we're talking narcotics, cadaver, explosives, bombs, what have you. It just what the difference is is the imprint. What is the scent the odor that you're imprinting them on.
Speaker 2: So at mold, you expose them to mold, okay, and I assume whatever the smell of mold is, that aren't going to wane. And what do you do give them a treat when they find that? Is that?
Speaker 5: Is that the way the training is well yeah, it's something like that. So we actually we have one of our dogs, the popular dog is Zia. She was trained at the Florida Canine Academy, and she is a food driven dog, so a food motivated dog. So when she and she really she only eats, she only eats when she locates mold and that's just how that's done. But there's also toy driven dogs, which are much more prevalent with military and law enforcement, and we actually are switching to that because unfortunately, we have been so well, fortunately, unfortunately, so incredibly busy that Zia gets full so we can't do multiple jobs. But when you have a toy driven dog, those those little guys will go job after job after job after job. They're very motivated by their toy. So yes, it's an incentive, it's a game to them, it's a total game.
Speaker 2: So so how during the year are there a lot of other companies like yours out there? Or are you pretty.
Speaker 1: Much cry.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: I would say that there are maybe ten other dogs and handlers throughout the United States. The difference with us, though, we take it one step further than the others. Our handlers are mult assessment technicians. We are required to be that and have that licensing or certification in the state of Texas. But to have a dog that's an and a handler a team, a CA nine team that is regulated is helpful whether you are working in Texas or not. And then they're also trained as far as being technicians with mold and the other thing that we do that other teams. I don't know any other teams that do this. A mouldog knows does is we only hire professional canine handlers. We hire former law enforcement, military and contract workers that not only have a lot of training, but many many on the job.
Speaker 2: There are a lot only if there are only ten of these companies in the United States, do you uh get people from far fields?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, Oh my goodness. We you know, we have some social media and we went viral, like about six weeks ago. We woke up to you know, ten to fifteen a week to over six hundred and fifty and one night and it just keeps going and anywhere from the UK to Canada and all over the United States. The demand is crazy. And I want to throw this in there that most people do not realize when a doctor cannot figure out what is wrong with you, whether it's chronic headaches, migraines, head pressure, cyinidis, anxiety, depression, gut dyspiosis, cancer. You really got to start turning and looking for hidden mold in either you know what place you frequent, which is the home or your workplace. My husband is also a functional medicine doctor, and we just we see so many mold sick people. And if you do not treat the mold and get the mold first of all out of your environment and then out of your body, which takes work and time, you cannot heal. The thyroid, the hormones, the what have you.
Speaker 6: If that is not removed, it's very hard to heal.
Speaker 2: So it's all if if someone is diagnosed with let's you know, I have a friend of mine with a thyroid problem. You mentioned thyroid. If uh huh? If you if your dog was able to come to Boston and find mold in his or his apartment or home or condo, whatever you want to call it, is it possible that over a period of time, once the mold is removed, that diagnosis can change.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yes, I actually I'm not a I need to but this time we're here.
Speaker 4: I'm not a medical expert.
Speaker 2: But in my I know, I didn't know if it's if it's sort of something that that people.
Speaker 3: Can keep out absolutely.
Speaker 2: Preemptively obviously to prevent it from from occurring, or if they can do it in effect.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So how if there are only ten of these companies around.
Speaker 5: The country, well, and I'm guessing ten, Yes, I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: I think there's twenty. There's still that's not a lot. No requested. They must be pretty busy. So are people able to call you and seek advice and maybe even see if you could come to wherever we're heard in thirty eight states? So maybe you've done yourself a favor. Maybe not.
Speaker 5: My goodness, Well, yeah, I mean absolutely. And our company again is Mulddog knows like the brain knows. So it's because the nose nos mold dog knows. But yes, and yeah, I will tell.
Speaker 2: You that the website let's let's let's talk websites for seconds.
Speaker 5: So it's Moldold, mold Dog, k n o w S dot com, Molddog nos dot com.
Speaker 2: So we're not talking about the feature in his face. We're talking about what is involved in his mind that he's able he or she's able to figure it out mold dog knows k N O w S dot com. Yes, Susan, interesting. Let to check back with you in a few months and see see how this business is.
Speaker 5: How we're how we're growing and expanding.
Speaker 3: We yes, we are expanding.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if you heard me, but I think it's important that our this comes out of our own experience. I have walked through mold, illness and recovering, so you know, turning lemons into lemonade.
Speaker 2: People. When I worked in televisure, my best stories came out of experiences that I had had, and certainly in radio, some of the best hours of talk as a consequence of experiences that I have had. Because you and I well are out there, we have the same experiences as everyone else. Susan Russell, I really enjoyed the conversation. We'd love to have you back in a couple of months and see how you doing.
Speaker 5: Okay, I would love that. Thanks for having us on.
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome. Merry Christmas, you too, Bye bye bye bye. We get back. We're going to talk about security details for government officials and the process of protecting political leaders. I guess it can also now apply to corporate leaders. We're going to talk with Eric Brown, a former Special Forces Green Beret, founder of a CEO of a company called Imperial Consulting. This would be very interesting. We'll be back right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Night with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Bes Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. We are going to now talk about security. This has been a year in which we have seen some very difficult stories to cover, not only the assassination attempt to assassination attempts at President elect Trump, but we saw what happened a little over a week ago in New York City when the CEO of United Healthcare was a shot to death at six forty five in the morning. With us now is Eric Brown. He's with a company called Imperial Consulting. Eric. Welcome to Night, said, how are you.
Speaker 7: Done good?
Speaker 6: Appreciate you having me on your show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, thanks very much. Now you have a pretty extensive military background. Tell us about your green beret. How many years in this in service to the country, for which I will say, thank.
Speaker 6: You, Hey, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I served in the United States Army for twenty four years, and nineteen years of that was in US Army Special Forces as green Beray.
Speaker 2: So your company, Imperial Consulting, Uh, it's you have you provide I guess security details for the government officials. Is this is this the activity that you're involved in at this point or do you just do you deal with corporate leaders.
Speaker 6: More so, we're dealing with corporate leaders in leadership development, team development and advising on risk and how to mitigate risk within the activities that they're doing.
Speaker 2: Well. We saw an example that I alluded to obviously, the assassination, the murder, whatever you want to call it, of the CEO Brian Thompson of United Healthcare. My understanding is that he had a security team with him, but he was he did the I have a security team with him at six forty five A. We could go Wednesday when he really needed them.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Unfortunately, it comes sometimes commonplace where people in those positions become complacent and a little bit too comfortable in their environment, and then unfortunately, when complacency sets in tract events take place. We saw that a lot within my team or time and Special Forces on teams, the most vulnerable that we always are at during combat missions, where either when we first got in the country or as you're going out of country just either because you're too confident in your skills or you've become complacent in everything's everyday activity.
Speaker 2: So have we reached a point of this country where major corporate leaders and I don't know how you want to describe major corporate leaders, but obviously there's some big fortune five hundred companies and companies in this country. To take a start, do they need to have security details with them at all times or do they need to be more circumspect in the information that they released to the public. This guy was going, this victim, Brian Thompson, I believe, was going to address a stockholders meaning in New York, which I assume was pretty well publicized. Give us what corporations and corporate leaders should be thinking about at this point, particularly in the wake of this incident in New York.
Speaker 6: I think it would all come down to the profile of that corporate leader. If you're taking into somebody like Elon Musk or something like that, I would say he would need a security detail twenty four hours day, some days a week. But first someone like the victim it took place in New York, it means he needs to be more of managing his profile and taking an account when he's going to be highly visible and ensuring he has security during those points, and when he's less visible, you can and cut back a bit. But it comes down to risk and integation and understanding what risks are out there and ensuring that you're all the information possible that you can have to mitigate that risk.
Speaker 2: And so where do you folks come into the process when you're invited in by a company, did you basically start from scratch or do you ask the company what are they looking for? I assume that they should be relying on your advice more than asking you exactly what they would like you to do. Tell me, tell me, which is at more accurate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, when you're come into a company, we try to assess from talking one on one so we can understand exactly what challenges they're facing, so we can come up with a customized approach to mitigate whatever risk that they're the firs seeing through one on one conversations, whether it be talking to the principle or through surveys through the company, but really just trying to understand what they're they're facing and come up with a customized approach to tell them achieve what a challenge they're facing.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me talk about a risk for high profile individuals who most of us have heard about recently, and apparently there are some individuals have decided it'd be a great idea to break in the homes of professional athletes.
Speaker 7: When those pro athletes, people like Patrick Mahomes or Kelsey Travis Kelsey with the Kansas City Chiefs basketball played with the Milwaukee Bucks to break into their homes, I guess Joe Burrow's home was broken into as well, the quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: These guys are making lots of money. Why are they not thinking? Why is their organization, whether you want to call it the NFL in the case of Mahomes and Kelsey or professional sports their particular teams. Once this has happened, now, why are they not smart enough to say, Hey, look, I got to hire at least a couple of local police offices. I'm going to be away. You know, next weekend we're going to be playing in San Francisco and I live two thousand miles away. I don't want my house broken into. Why are they not thinking this way?
Speaker 6: It comes down the old adage of it's not going to be me. People have gotten so used to live in a public light, especially those famous athletes and where it be actors or actresses that get used to living in in the limelight. They think nothing's going to happen to them and don't has any electant towards them. However, you just gotta think that, you know, hey, if I'm going to be a town, I gotta take those measures in place. It's better to over overplan and over execute then have to deal with the consequences when you don't.
Speaker 2: Well. When when I think of the pro athletes, I mean obviously when the kids and the city chiefs are on the road, everybody knows that the team in most cases leaves that Saturday to play a game on Sunday, so you know they should. I just don't understand why these athletes, highly compensated and by the way, advised by professional sports agents, have not figured it out that you know, give your house keys to you know, someone who you trust and who has the ability to deal with someone coming through the door at two o'clock in the morning, and whether it's your company or again local police department officials, you know, pay them. You got to pay them. I mean, you can't just say, hey, do me a favorite sit in my house, because you got to get them and basically you hire them. As a detail. Have you had your company has this spate of high profile break ins at pro athletes homes? Has that generated some interest for your company? Now?
Speaker 6: Now as this time of anyone reaching out, let's say that it just comes down to really complacency and then not think thinking things through of like hey, I'm gonna be on my house on high profile, publish everything on social media, and everyone is going to know where I'm at. And obviously those who want to take advantage of that I can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And by the way, it's just not pro athletes, by the way, because you know there are other people who, as you say on social media, they can be you know, lawyers, they can be politicians. I mean it seems to me that there's a lot of people who in this society need more protection.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree with one hundred percent. Just like our time of doing. If we're doing operations and special forces and small small teams either be singleton operating by yourself or a team of you know, three six people, you got to think and start planning, Like everything that you do is being watched and you've got to be ready to react to the worst case circumstance. And people don't think that way. They think everything's going to be good and nothing bad it's going to happen to them, and that's especially when the worst thing happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, last question, Eric, who is your clientele at this point? I mean not by name, but who who was seeking your services? And if people want to get in touch with you, just give me an idea about who's your client tele and how they care.
Speaker 6: So the touch Yeah, that's the way you can touch with is either through a website Imperio, Dash Consulting dot com, or reach out to me on LinkedIn with Garrett Brown.
Speaker 3: With Imperial Consulting.
Speaker 6: Clientele, you're looking at mid sized enterprises anywhere from ten to one hundred employees with a rep you know, you know, revenue anywhere from ten to one hundred million dollars plus and revenue. We're really going to those folks that really need to think about that. They need to put protection in place before it hapstence because they have limited resources. You know, if something happens to Google, they have unlimited resource to fix it afterwards. But the smaller companies in the realms of about fifty to one hundred million dollars revenue, that really hurts them when something happens in place, you know, because their revenue is paying to each eachpasode thing they have to do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Eric enjoyed talking with you. I think it's a fascinating conversation. Like to check back within a few months and see if your business is growing. I think that it has to win this environment. I really know, but particularly as a veteran owned and operated business Imperial Consulting, Eric, appreciate again your service, Appreciate your time tonight.
Speaker 6: Hey, I really appreciate having me on. Thank you for what you do and keep getting good information out there.
Speaker 2: Sure well, thanks Eric, we get back. We're going to talk with an author's name is Richard Battle. Has recently put into paper back. As I understand that a book that has been well received Americans Who Made America eighteenth century Birth of the Republic, Optims and Timeless Lessons from Washington for Washington. I think this will be a fun interview with Richard Battle on the other side of the break here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World Nightside Studios. I'm WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio delighted to be joined by author Richard Battle. Have not read this book, but it's got some great reviews. It's on Amazon, Americans who made America, eighteenth century, birth of the Republic, optimism, and timeless lessons from Washington for Washington. Richard. I haven't read this book, but I intend to welcome to Nightside and thank you for writing a book that talks about this amazing group of Americans who happened to be living at the same time and were so dedicated to freeing this country from England. I haven't read your book, but I hope that is what the story is that is told.
Speaker 4: Well, good evening, Dan, thank you so much for having us. And let me first acknowledge today being the two hundred and fifty first anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, because that was one of the preliminary actions that led us to our independence.
Speaker 2: A dear friend of mine in Idaho today sent me a text message. I had forgotten about it, but this friend of mine in Idaho remember it, and that's that's how I knew that today was the day. And I suspect they probably had a reenactment not far from where I'm sitting today. At least I hope they did tell us how exte I mean it was that these folks were able to do what they did. I mean, if you really see.
Speaker 4: That volume, yeah, go ahead. This volume, Americans Who Made America eighteenth century Birth of the Republic, is the first of a four book series, and I'm basically celebrating eighteenth, nineteenth, twentieth, and I'll go back and pick up sixteenth and seventeenth century Americans. I believe that it was the American do spirit of individual rules who made this country what it is. It wasn't government by itself. And I was tired of people telling us what we couldn't do in government, telling us we could only do things they would let us do. And I wanted to celebrate those heroes from before, some you'll know and some you want, because I wanted to inspire people to pursue their dreams and RelA like that America can do spirit in themselves.
Speaker 2: The other thing, too, is that the Americans of the late eighteenth century, which obviously encompassed the period of time when when you know, from again the Tea Party through the Declaration of Independence, and the writing of the Constitution, of the formation of a formal government. They were not perfect individuals. They were men who owned slaves, but they they were the men of their time. And the focus has not been on what they achieved and what they accomplished and what they set in motion, but it has it has been, you know, let's rip apart the things that they did, which which will obviously not good things. How do you address that issue of Jefferson owned slaves, Washington on them.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're correct. And the founders recognized they were not perfect. They're not perfect. The people between them and us weren't perfect, were not perfect perfect. The people following us will not be perfect. And that's why they knew that they needed to establish a government to restrain those imperfections of people. So there were checks and balances and a balance of power to keep any one person or one group from having too much power. And the thing that amazed me, and I hadn't really thought of it before I was doing the research on this volume, was how all of the signers and the Founders and the patriots they put aside their individual different is to write the Declaration right, the Constitution, win the Revolutionary War, and they did all of that, and then once everything was settled, then they all started pursuing their individual interest again. But for them to sacrifice those interests for such a long period in order to give us our country was a monumental feat.
Speaker 2: And what people don't realize is that they literally put their lives on the line. I mean, jo it was. This could have ended pretty badly for all of these people who we revere, Adams and Jefferson and Madison and Monroe in Washington and all of them, all of them could have been easily hung by their necks until dead if the British forces had prevailed.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, that's exactly correct. When the fifty sixth signers signed the declaration, there were death warrants put out for them from King George. They all suffered, some went broke, some had their wives killed, some had sons killed. They all suffered, but none of them betrayed the pledge they made to each other, which I think was a tremendous feat at that time. And there's one story I tell of a woman in there who I'd never heard of, named Mary Catherine Goddard, and her name was on the Goddard broadside first printing of the declaration with the signatures, and I'm shortening the story, but she had a printing company and normally would put on their printed by M. K. Goddard, but she had the courage to write on there printed by Mary Catherine Goddard, on that Declaration of Independence. So she voluntarily put her name on a death warrant as well. And the courage it took for her to do that, and the absolute need for us to recognize and appreciate and honor her for what she did, as well as so many people beyond the forty that I highlight in the Americans who made America.
Speaker 2: How did you get involved in Are you a historian by trade? How'd you or you somebody who came to love this ERAa of history?
Speaker 4: Well? Well, I love history, always have very well read. I love to read. I love to study history from the Revolutionary War through World War two and beyond. And again I was sick and tired of people telling us that what we couldn't do, and I wrote a a essay and I suggested building a hall of fame for the people with the American do spirit. And then I found out that there was one in New York for Great Americans, and I thought, well, heck, I never even heard of it. And so then I got the inspiration, why build a museum for people that very few people go to? Why not have a museum that can go to people? So the volume celebrates people who are worthy of Hall of Fame selection.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is great. So the this is the paperback which has now been issued correct as I understand it, When was? When was?
Speaker 4: The book? The Americans Who Made America is available in paperback, kindle and audio.
Speaker 2: Version easily through I assume Amazon or who whomever else where people normally get their books.
Speaker 4: That book and all my others are at Amazon and for the kendles and audios as well. Richard Battle dot com. You can get any of the eleven books I've written, all our signs there as well and other bookstores.
Speaker 2: All right, and how did you become an author? I mean very I think they can write.
Speaker 4: Well, we don't have time for me to give the whole story, but I'll tell you that my English teachers in high school never dreamed I'd read a book, and I never dreamed i'd write one. And now I've written eleven and I'm more of a speaker, and the writing devolved off the speaking.
Speaker 2: All right, that's great, Richard Battle, thank you very much. Again. It's wonderful the time that you've taken to write this book, and hopefully people will read it and maybe give it to their children and their relatives as a Christmas present. Americans who made America, eighteenth century, birth of the Republic, optimism and timeless lessons from Washington for Washington. Richard Battle, thank you very much for your time tonight.
Speaker 4: Thank you, God blessed America, and Merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: And merry Christmas to you as well. Thank you very much. When we come back after the nine o'clock news, you're going to be talking with a very interesting person who's a friend of mine, who's an investigative journalist. He also has a long career in technology. We're going to talk about drones over six states now, including Massachusetts. They won't tell us what they are. Maybe they don't know. I don't know which scares me worse. Back on nights side, right after the nine