Speaker 1: This is WBZY, Boston's news radio. We defining local news.
Speaker 2: How maybe me do this? I don't want to do this. It's Monday, all of a sudden here in Boston, and if you looked outside, it's disgusting. It is dreary, it's foggy, and it's raining. It is also fifty one degrees. The News at six is brought to us by You're a New England Toyota dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being with us this Monday morning. I'm Jeff Brown. It's back to reality. Periods of rain today, it'll be breezy and much cool with the recent days.
Speaker 1: Hi just fifty two to fifty six.
Speaker 2: It's WBZ achi weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. Not much better. I'm afraid tomorrow either. A high level admissions official at Emmanuel College in Boston will be in Boston federal court today. Twenty nine year old Jacob Riquez is accused of sex trafficking charges. Federal prosecutors say on Riquez used the application forms to get contact information of the victims, one of whom as a seventeen year old girl. School officials now refer to Henriquez as a former employee, and in a statement, says the safety and well being of all of its students is a priority. A school is also said to be cooperating with authorities. Jury's selection begins this morning in the federal sex trafficking and racketeering trial of Sean Colmes. The one time music mobigule, known most recently as Diddy, is at risk of spending the rest of his life in prison if convicted. Prosecutor say Combs took advantage of several women during his sex themed parties known as freak offs. The fifty five year old goes on trial after rejecting a plea deal with prosecutors last week. Official say opening statements could begin as soon as next week. More tariffs are on the way, this time affecting Hollywood. President Trump says he'll save the industry with levies on foreign made films. Other natures, A lot of them I've stolen.
Speaker 3: I'm moving in this.
Speaker 4: He blames other nations tax incentives for drawing production away from US locations. Films often shot and produced in multiple countries for business reasons or location authenticity. America's top grossing film so far this year, The Beautiful World and Everything, in It Will Withering Die, a Minecraft movie made in New Zealand and Canada and partly produced by Warner Brothers, took in almost four hundred million dollars here. American films often make their biggest slice of profits in overseas markets, making them vulnerable to a tariff trade war. Michael Toscano, CBS News Washington.
Speaker 2: President says he's still got a sweet spot for TikTok and says he would be willing to further extend a deadline on the owners of the social media site to sell its US operations or risk being shut down in the United States by the federal government. NBC's Meet the Press this weekend. The President says he'd be willing to give Byte Dance more leeway if it cannot reach a deal by the June nineteenth deadline, which otherwise would put the online habits of some one hundred and seventy million Americans in jeopardy. The NHL Draft is lottery is tonight. The Bruins are guaranteed a top ten pick. Red Sox off today. The homestand resumes tomorrow night at Fenway when the Rangers come to down and we've been waiting for this Celtics Knicks Game one of the NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals tonight at the Garden. This fan is all in on the seas tonight and in this series against the Knicks.
Speaker 1: Beautiful chances. I like their chances. Well, this dude's a little bit more cautious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it'll be a six game series.
Speaker 1: But the Celtics will ultimately prevail.
Speaker 4: Well hopefully, And as this loyal Green teamer points out, Boston's the defending champs.
Speaker 2: Trust I think since we won it last year, I think the team deserves a little bit of faith in them. Chris Fauma, WBZ, Boston's News Radio. This is not a good look on a Monday morning after a weekend that actually turned out to be okay for much of the region. We're gonna see rain pretty much on and off all day today, and much cooler air too, is dominating. It's fifty one degrees right now and really not much warmer than this all day today, and not much brighter than this either. We'll see periods of rain throughout the entire day, with highes in the middle sixty. Periods of rain continue over night to night, lows in the forties and let's do this all again tomorrow, with more showers expected, high temperatures a little bit milder into the lower sixties. We might even hear the rumble of thunder at some point tomorrow. Wednesday looks like we start to turn a little bit of a corner, with mostly cloudy skies but sunny breaks, especially in the afternoon, high temperatures approaching seventy degrees. But looking ahead towards the rest of this work week, it's rather unsettled. Continued at least right through Friday. Right now in Boston fifty one and raining here in the city at six oh five on this Monday morning. Sayinara. Skype, the internet based phone and video services shutting down operations effective today, was over before it began. The manbzis Drew moholland is sere with details. Good morning Andrew, Good morning Jeffrey. After twenty two years and fourteen years after Microsoft bought the service for eight point five billion dollars in cash, Skype is out. Remember the connection sound? Yeah, I remember when nobody would answer either, and that sound just keep playing the memory. Skype was a way to make free calls worldwide.
Speaker 1: It was used by tens of millions and it's con today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, Zoom just took over, right crazy, just came in and said I'm in charge. Yeah, all right, Drew, thank you. Testimony resumes this morning in the Karen Reid case in Norfolk Superior Court. Prosecutors and defense lawyers have taken turns grilling Reid's old friend Jennifer McCabe for three days on the witness stand, after which Reid says McCabe is the quarterback of a plot to frame her. Reid accuses McCabe of collusion by enlisting the makings of a cover up on a group chat the night that John O'Keefe was found dead outside a home in Canton more than three years ago. We can fire in a Boston office supply warehouse causes an estimated one million dollars in damages. The WB Mason building on Summer Street goes up in flames. No injuries reported, and investigation is underway into the cause of that fire. Go big and buy small, mom and pop shops rejoice, Small business steals this ship.
Speaker 1: Oh Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday of this week Small Business Week all have different themes related to food and drink here in Chelsea. The head of the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce, Jennifer Herself, says today Cinco de Mile is Margarita and Mohedo Monday, and then tomorrow.
Speaker 3: On Tuesday is Taco Tuesday. Once again, Chelsea probably has your best selection of tacos in the area. We're really proud of the restaurants that we have in our small, little two point mile radius.
Speaker 1: Within this small radius of various culinary delights, Wednesday is Pasta La Vista with the focus on pizza and pasta. And finally Thursday is Thursday Thursday. Different days, different events, different restaurants, all with the same goal in mind, supporting local small businesses from Chelsea. Carl Stevens WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio.