Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio a app just Surgery I.
Speaker 2: On the Bar.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Ian the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's George, and now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Let's start with a little bit of Arizona State basketball news starting I'm not Starting October twenty seventh, Arizona State will be headed to Karon Indoor Stadium take on the Duke. Blue Devil's head coach Bobby Hurley will be headed back to Duke. He was inducted into the Duke Hall of Fame back in twenty eleven. That's cool that he good he gets to go back to Yeah, it's an exhibition game. Exhibition, it's a bit shooting game.
Speaker 3: Goes back home to see his his guys back home. You've never paid you been there? No, I went there last year. It was that was okay. It's a small it's it's made for TV. It's it's a made for TV arena because everything is so tight and everything close and it's crazy. Uh but uh, it was.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 6: I've got I went experienced it.
Speaker 3: But you know, when I was covering game at Stanford back in the day when they had Robinson hitting that long distance shot at half court or the bouncy floor, Stanford was just as crazy. It was bonkers, in fact. But that that was the game last year when you know they beat him.
Speaker 6: That was great. It was, it was.
Speaker 3: It was fun and and in fact, Tommy says, Okay, we win the game, but let's see what we do in March.
Speaker 6: What happened in.
Speaker 3: March, same thing. Yeah, it was that good enough. It was good six weeks sixty was good enough. We need to get past that. I mean you need right, yeah, I mean that's when you're measured.
Speaker 6: Yep. Right. So it was well said by Tommy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just okay, November winning, talk to be in March.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: Coming a little closer to home, University of Arizona released their basketball schedule. Their first game will be exhibition on October twenty first versus Eastern New Mexico, and then October twenty eighth and another expedition expedition Exhibition.
Speaker 6: Exhibitions where are you going with this expedition? I had no idea.
Speaker 4: H So twenty eighth they're playing Point Loma Nazarene, and then their first regular season game will be November fourth versus Canada.
Speaker 3: Canacious or who Gnacious? I feel I could have pronounced it Canasius a Point Loma, Canacious November fourth. Those are regular there's a regular season game or regular games? Oh yeah, yeah, Canisius is the person the first right, and then Old Dominion. Yeah, it's gonna be a fantastic schedule. You have season takes no no, no, but you know, to make a call, you know people.
Speaker 6: It's good to know people. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Duke the twenty second of November, the day before OL tour, it's gonna.
Speaker 6: Be crazy, will be crazy. That is gonna be a great.
Speaker 3: And UCLA right in Phoenix. We've talked about that a number of times there, Ryan, and then the that's part of that little series that they have. Yeah, and then the much awaited Big twelve schedule.
Speaker 6: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I can't wait because it's gonna be fun and we're gonna have Bruce here. In about twelve fifteen minutes talking about it all I said he made some good points. He was on with Justin Spears this morning about the schedule and about the team. So we'll I'll wait to ask him that, oh kay Ran.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Big Twelve, the women's basketball released their first Big Twelve conference schedule. Yeah, December twenty, first Saturday, they're going to be taking on b YU. That's the first Big twelve basketball game. Okay, who do they have? Do you have their schedule for me? Looks like Utah after that, it's kind of hard to see.
Speaker 3: What about regular what about the regular season not be Big twelve or did they move that out? I don't have that up. Okay, I think they do have that up. Yeah, it's it's out today, it's on the site. I always wanted what their schedule looks like with the Dya having her new team and some people return from nast.
Speaker 4: Year with us. She got baseball. Let's go MLB. D Backs are trying to fight for a wild card spot. What's your situation the standing real quick?
Speaker 3: You know, I think Padres are number two, so they're behind the Padres obviously, Yeah they are.
Speaker 4: So Padres are in the third wild card right now, it's the Mets and d Backs are tied.
Speaker 6: For pretty much.
Speaker 4: They're tied for the second and third spots and then Braids are sitting right there one year back. But they had a big win last night thanks to their ace Zach Gallon.
Speaker 3: Right, So they play San Diego today or tomorrow. I think they play them this weekend. This weekend, okay, so they still got like four or five games.
Speaker 6: So yeah, starting tomorrow they play.
Speaker 3: So the reason I say this is because I saw a tweet this morning that they were selling tickets to the playoffs last week just in case.
Speaker 6: And then I could be wrong, or it could have been a bad tweet.
Speaker 3: God knows the bad stuff on Twitter that they've they've already kind of started to say, if you want to get a refund, we're going to make it available just in case they don't make it to the playoffs. Oh wow, you know, so I would figure that.
Speaker 7: I did have weekend season tickets and they called me and said prepare if they But I don't think this last week, a couple of weeks ago. But I haven't got anything. I haven't checked my inboxes as well, so they could have.
Speaker 6: But did you buy them? No? No, I haven't. Are you that big of a fan?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I rarely use them, mostly give them away. Oh okay, okay, I just bought them. They sold them to me, you.
Speaker 3: Know, okay, yep, yeah, yeah, so they do. They good tickets. Were they were worth the price?
Speaker 6: They were they were lower lower level or box.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, pretty not box, no, no, but closer to the field yeah yeah yeah, nice nice?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, you might see good price. Yeah, okay, pretty good.
Speaker 7: I mean it's it's not too expensive, and you get Saturday and Sunday home games, so you pick and choose.
Speaker 6: I've probably gone to four games.
Speaker 3: How many takes? How many chances of the whole season? Yeah, well just weekend games. Yeah, there's probably twenty weekends. Okay, yeah, so it's not too much. You're not because you're you're spending a whole day to get up there. Sure, sure, no, that's it's a committing then and then uh food and then park akaing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's hot and it's hot, yep, it's hot today. Where are we living? Almost October and one hundred and five yas? Yeah, at least yep, I did. I did that a couple of years ago. To the ticket, the weekend thing, it was. It was cool at first, but then I was like, okay, I'm driving up there. I was getting a hotel every other weekend.
Speaker 6: There, right right? It added up pretty you hick the lottery.
Speaker 3: They're right, you're not telling me about you know nice he's the boss here.
Speaker 6: Make sure I should have said that.
Speaker 3: Money you you you were talking about getting paid here. You don't need to get paid.
Speaker 6: That money somewhere next week making that happen. All right. We were talking about showya tani earlier.
Speaker 4: But there's now a lawsuit that's been filed by the guy who caught.
Speaker 6: It, who allegedly caught it. Max. He's the kid right now.
Speaker 4: He's a kid eighteen, filed a suit Thursday in Florida's eleventh Judicial Circuit Court seeking a temporary injunction against Golden Auctions, which has scheduled the opening bidding on the ball tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Tomorrow five hundred thousand first open bid or you could buy it out right four point five million. The video shows the kid did have it in his hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they both yeah, right, and he was like, I guess he said it's my birthday. It's my birthday or something because it was his birthday, yuaes. And the guy just said, I don't care, just you know, I got the ball. What's the possessions? What's that rule? If they say it's nine tenths, you know, possessions overpowered?
Speaker 6: I mean so sorry, dude, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: According to the twitterville that I'm talking about, they're saying, sorry, kid, you lost the bat right you left the battle, so who knows who knows he lost it? I mean, both of them should just give that ball back. But I'm spending other people's money, so I shouldn't say. What would you do, Steve? So we talked about this.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't sell it.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't sell it for more than a million if I guess, if I had the chance, I know, I would just give it to whoever does. It's their ball, okay, in all honestly, it's all their ball. If I could get that, that would be fine, and thank you very much, thank you very much.
Speaker 7: And about a half a million and it's signed bad and a few tickets, yes, probably probably, I'm not makes sense.
Speaker 6: I'm sixty years old. What the hell am I gonna do with the money?
Speaker 3: And my kids? You know what, the dad that gave usus money, you know they're gonna spend it. What the hell you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I know I heard it. Who am I here to impress? Yep?
Speaker 3: Four and a half million? Let me say, okay, I have ten years to live. What am I doing that money?
Speaker 6: All right? Yep? Playing the World Series of Poker one time, going to business.
Speaker 3: With you, going, going to business with you, takiing me the Raiders games all the weekend.
Speaker 4: Now you're talking the Oakland Athletics. They won their final game at the Oakland Colosseum today in front of a sold out crowd.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because they that was the big game, right, that was what we talked about that yesterday. Yeah, that they did never sell out and today was the last day.
Speaker 6: There, so they were going to sell out. Yeah. No, They're head to the Vegas, going to Sacramento and then.
Speaker 3: The Zach a couple of years in the Vegas. You gonna get tickets for that. They're gonna play in. Uh the Giants Triple A. Sacramento used to be their Triple A team back in the day. What I thought, Yeah, because I used to cover when I covered the sidewinders whatever sacrament Sacramento come down and the paper there would hire me to cover the games for a few dollars, and uh so I did and it was the it was the right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw I saw a picture on Twitter as this guy he was said on a first pitt I was here first pitch back in nineteen sixty eight, and then he had a picture of himself and then a picture like current picture.
Speaker 6: How big a difference was that? How old was he a big difference? Oh yeah, no, well sixty But how old was he? A kid?
Speaker 3: Kid?
Speaker 4: The old?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, so he was really old, probably run sixty, I'd say, Oh no, no, he was old. Yeah, if he was a kid, if he was sixty eight, he had to be well, he could have been four, yeah, I mean he probably played a teenager. Okay, so he's about seventy four. Yeah, yeah, that's pretty cool. NFL kicks off their fourth week tonight. Got the Cowgirls, I mean the Cowboys and the New York There's no there's no editor, right editor, you know what I'm saying here on the show there, mister cowgirl.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys are playing the New York Football Giants and the spread is Cowboys by five. The money line is plus one ninety five plus one ninety five.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, what's what's the minus for Dallas one fifty one seventy five. I wouldn't have one what thing to table Dallas, But they've been so dysfunctional this season, and they're on the road. Yeah, and they're on the road, and the Giants played well last season. Then that kid, the rookie neighbors is really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know about Dallas. Yeah, same, I wouldn't touch them tonight. Well, you have you followed the NFL to this point three weeks? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's crazy. It's bonkers. It is finding winners anywhere hard. It's been the toughest. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: College football kicks off their fifth week tonight is Army three and zero taking on Temple one in three Armies twelve and a half on the spread.
Speaker 8: Okay, you sound like jayl of Us rubbed off, Yeah, what's up? What's his friend? How much you got on it?
Speaker 6: Now? You sound like sound like Jay?
Speaker 4: The other day I was a little grumpy, so I kind of channeled Minner Steve.
Speaker 6: You're grumpy? Yeah, thank you? Then you're going both ways with Okay, I'm always grumpy. That's my nickname there, Senor. In case you didn't don't touch that.
Speaker 4: That's about all I have, Okay, cool white Sox avoided there? Oh yeah, what the history they were able to finish off the sweep today?
Speaker 6: And who they be? Who they sweep?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Let me see.
Speaker 3: The oh Angels. Okay, two bad teams playing against you, they beat them seven nothing, but it's the Angels. Okay, that's all I have. Okay, cool. Uh Let's see what else there is? Did you go through the easy other sources, other sources of our of our sources of finding stuff out.
Speaker 6: Volleyball take their first loss?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you had mentioned that, did you? Somebody mentioned that there were eleven? No, and then what was that? Was it a three game thing or when they lost? Because it's gonna be tough, it's gonna be tough this year. Well, you know they want eleven and oh and then they win the Big twelve and then now the big big the big girls start playing. I don't want to say big boar. Four games on the set in the match chases. Okay, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 6: Uh. So that's it. Really you want to go what time is it for twelve? How it start? X break?
Speaker 3: About four minutes? A couple of minutes, a couple of minutes. Let's just let's take the breakdown and then go to to Bruce. Uh and maybe we can go a little along with Bruce.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, yours, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 6: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 6: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space Today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle, Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taking care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: It's a ward season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpey is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven aerazon a BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lynrix, Syncredit, greates and avaiable loan programs of subject to change und notice.
Speaker 11: Did you know sports cards that memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five points six Also acting cards as a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and they have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 6: Ready to say, but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Over six months as a member and you.
Speaker 6: Could win big. Watch your savings grow.
Speaker 11: To help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 6: Been really insured and CEU.
Speaker 15: Wag got bugs, termites, bees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez. They have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports stag chet Fox Sports fourteen fifteen, streaming live on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Wapp Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball Naro, Fox Sports Fortune fifth.
Speaker 6: I'm Steve Roberta. You're George Monis.
Speaker 3: I am. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now on the.
Speaker 3: Phone, we have Bruce Pascal of the Arizona Daily Star. Bruce, how you doing.
Speaker 16: Good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking your heart rate is up? And Bruce is gonna be doing his stuff because it's basketball season.
Speaker 6: Bruce.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean you know, yeah, I mean like this September is kind of that last chance you have to kind of take a deep breath or whatever. But but yeah, no, no, it's all good. It should be interesting because things will be so different.
Speaker 6: This time around. You know, I'm sad for you, Bruce.
Speaker 3: You know why I traveled with you for like road trips, road trips, but I'm sad for you. I was sad for you because I wasn't going to go on any more road trips with the paper clothes. But now I don't think you have any good places to go skiing.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, it's, well, they're playing at BYU, so there's that. But no, I mean, you know, even even despite all that, it's just, you know, the PAC twelve, as I always say, is like a country club. Every city I think is great. I know you and me disagreed on some of them, but I think they're all fun to visit. I'm not sure about any of these big twelve schools, although I do think that, you know, it's pretty obvious that there are a lot of them are going to have really rowdy, interesting, crazy crowds, and that's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 16: But but it's you know, it's hard to compare to some of the cities that it's attacked twelve had. It's just it's a different deal, and you know, on on and off the court, I guess it's sick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, are you so?
Speaker 3: If I were you now, I would be excited to cover new places, but I would be excited for the team. Uh, you know, And I don't get excited about stuff like this more because it's they're gonna get the butt kicked, They're going to be tested. It's gonna be fun to write about stories because usually you write about wins right, a lot of wins, uh, and it's gonna be different because they're gonna be tested, and that's gonna be a good thing, I think.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, you know, I mean, you know, I mean it is true for what it's worth it, at least as a journalist, you know, I mean, obviously you know, you're not necessarily rooting for against anybody, but yeah, riding about a loss a lot of times is way more interesting than riding about a win, particularly when it is the blowout win. A lot of times, there's literally nothing to say unless somebody off the bench do something crazy that hasn't happened before. And so this time they're going to have a lot of learning experiences, you know, and probably some tough losses and then they're you know, the way the schedule sets up that they're going to play at Iowa State the second to last Saturday of the year, and then come back here host a issue, and then go back again to play Kansas the last Saturday this season, they could end on a really tough note if they're not on it, and that's that's that's kind of tough entering the postseason. You know, you want to have some kind of energy and reserve, and you know, this this season's really you know, this conference season could really wear them out. So it'll all be interesting, you know, I think all the way along the lines as you say, there's there's gonna be stuff to write. So there's no no question it's it's a lot more interesting than that, especially if you compare to a Pac twelve season where it's like, okay, Arizona and UCLA and maybe Oregon and then you know, yeh yeah, forget about everybody else is just kind of you know, especially those games at home against some of the Pac twelve teams, it's kind of tough to find things to write about. But this will be different, for sure.
Speaker 6: Bruce, look it up the schedule. I see Duke here at home? Is that? How big is that game?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 16: I think it's you know, I mean, if you look at it from a fan perspective, I think it's as big as any I mean, as big as the Big twelve schedule is. You know, Duke just doesn't come to McHale. It's in like what thirty something years, I mean, And yeah, Steve, if you would know, I mean, heck, you're probably there, right, I mean right, and you know, Bobby Hurley or whatever is playing for and back then, I mean, it's it's crazy. And I mean that game last year at it was also there was with me and you know, we were talking about how how crazy was just being there. I mean just even before the game even started playing, just all account they're playing, you know, And so so that'll be something I think, you know, as far as the season, it will be a really good barometer of where this team really is. And you know, and I think also too, you know, people always kind of dismiss them these early games. But you know, the way the the way the net and the rankings and the seeding and all that plays out, every game counts. They go all the way back. Now, it's not a recentcy bias saying or whatever. So win or lose, if they if they have a good win at that home game against Duke, that's going to help them in March. Even so, there's there's a lot of things that make it a big.
Speaker 6: Deal, right right.
Speaker 3: I was with some guys last night, some some shakers, movers, whatever, and they're asking.
Speaker 6: So, what's that what's that ticket going to like for doing?
Speaker 3: And they're saying, well, I heard that there are right now about three thousand dollars and I'm thinking, hmm, that's pretty pretty big, but but not surprising because everybody wants a ticket. Uh you do you remember back in the day, I think it was two thousand and seven, two thousand and six, Bruce, because we were both coming the team at the time and North Carolina came into the town and that at that time was the the buzz ticket, right, Arizona didn't show up at the game, but that was that's the last time it's been to this level.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, I think the difference if I remember, I think that game was during the past ten season. It was made it kind of weird because they think you get into uh, you know, a mentality and then and then having to play that big intersectional game or whatever. Just that was a tough worm and that was that was a tough year and yeah, that was not a good outcome for Arizona and kind of you know, kind of a little bit of the beginning of the end there as far as that goes. But but as far as the atmosphere and the anticipation, you're right, because I think, you know, I didn't go to u of A, but just being here as long as I have. I've sent the Duke literally and you know this, I mean, it seems like out of the conference play, they're as big of a rival as anybody. And I'm sure there are a lot of teams biggest rivals, obviously Uncving the primary one, but you know, everybody wants to play Duke or see Duke and so that it's just yeah, it's it's huge. And you know, I think it's a credit to John Shire and and Tommy Will. They were able to get this together in an age when big one on big home non conference seasons just don't really happen hardly at all anymore because, if anything, nowadays, they go to a neutral site and some promoter gets in there and they pay, they have nil things around it, and it's all. You know, it's not the same. These campus games that there are, these big campus games out of conference are extremely extremely rare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have one more quick thing. Okay, so we talked about the North Carolina game. Now we can talk about Duke coming in town. I think the next biggest game that would be a draw like this, it would have to be here because there have to be a draw here would be Arizona Gonzaga. And the thing about it, you, Bruce, is you might be able to see that somewhere else.
Speaker 16: Well in Bahamas, to be in the final this year. Yeah, and which would be interesting because Gonzaga they will I don't. I mean, you know, technically on the books, Arizona still owes Gonzaga game up there. They were going to play there Tommy Lloyd's first season and that was scrubbed and they said they both postponed it. I don't think they'll ever play again unless the coaches change, and they just don't want I mean, they're they're good friends, obviously, they they don't want to play each other, just like Arizona was supposed to play NAU at the beginning of every season for ten years or whatever. That deal was, that coupling up because Liam Lloyd went to NAU and they were like, no, you know, Tommy Lloyd wasn't gonna play it.
Speaker 6: Son.
Speaker 16: So just those those blood ties or whatever, they're just too strong. So you're right, if it ever happened, it would be it would be as big as anything. I think if UCLA came back into McHale, that would be a big deal. Uh, you know, for better or worse, they're playing at Phoenix and they're going to play at least neutral side, but at least they're playing each other, you know. But yeah, it's hard imagine. And I think for this year, yeah.
Speaker 6: It's Duke.
Speaker 16: And then there's a couple of pretty attractive Big twelve games, you know, namely Iowa State on a Monday, I think. And then they've got Houston Houston and BYU coming in here on Saturdays as well. Those will be it will be big deals.
Speaker 3: So so I want to ask you a question because you probably know the answer to and I've been talking about this since Arizona a football team laid and egg against Kansas State. Uh And because you you follow nil and I do to a degree, but not to maybe your level. When do the guys get paid? And I say this, and I'm, you know, to use this as my as my evidence or my preface or whatever. So Bruce Pascal goes and places the quarterback or the or the point guard. You got this nil deal. Do you get paid before the season, you get paid during the season, you get paid monthly? Because if you get paid before the season, what's your what's your impetus to uh to do well?
Speaker 6: Have you already been paid?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, Steve, it's you know, I mean, that's like the one hundred dollard dollar question or whatever, you know, to use that phrase. I don't know why that just came out, but anyway, but no, it's it's all over the map. And the problem is, you know, it's not it's not transparent. We don't know, but but I do know there are in most cases contracts signed with the collectives. And I've heard that often. In fact, I think open Doors had this in there nil and A report. I believe a lot of them are too. Every buy or every two weeks, basically just like your regular paycheck, and and you know, you get that over the course of the academic year.
Speaker 15: I believe.
Speaker 16: I'm not sure it could vary because again, none of this is regulated, none of it's public. I tried to get public records from u of A to get down an aisle contracts that have been run through them. They denied it, saying it was a student privacy issue, and you know, that's what they said. So I don't know, but that's that's what I've heard. And you're right though, to the give on some money up front would be crazy. You know, maybe there's a little bit of that, maybe there's a signing bonus even in some cases, you know, or that they have to do it in the context that they're going to be paid and you know, in conjunction with whatever the collective has to do going to some events or whatever. He would be a little bit a little bit exposing.
Speaker 3: Well, he would be by next question, if George Modes here from Short Time Cards, who was my guest here, decides Okay, I want to give ex player one hundred thousand dollars, will use your number. Uh, and and he works for you, maybe goes in and do some signings. Okay, he signs a check here here you go. So does does not through the collective.
Speaker 16: I guess it's just oh yeah right, you no, that could be any time obviously.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I mean we've seen guys. I remember Ben Maffin after he on his way out, you know, after he finished that last season, he was doing card signings and stuff. Well, in his case it was different because he was an international player. So he's trying to make sure there's no problem with this season. And so he did it, and it's just got probably just got checks for that. And but I think the collectors are what I'm talking about when you have a collective deal, because it's kind of like a big pool, right, and then they they cut checks every so often to these guys and then in exchange, the players show up at collective events and interact or whatever with their their their members and and that's how that seems to work. But you know, I'd love to have more Clayer do exactly how it works. I don't think anybody does, honestly. It's it's really, it's really interesting. I think we'll get there maybe when the revenue sharing starts, possibly next year with the schools and then possibly the NIL and the revenue sharing is going to be possibly funneled through the school and you know, maybe we get to see a little more of it that way. But it's, man, it's it's you know, it's really it's really unclear exactly how a lot of these stuff works. I will say that I was surprised when I heard about the U and Old Quarterback situation because that seemed to me like, well, didn't a collective and then it's legal, but it didn't seem like they had anything signed, and there was just words back and forth and who knows where that's going to go, but that but that has been the case, and you've seen you know, it's certainly in the early days of NIL and we're still kind of in the early days. But the first year or two, there were, you know, situations where teams literally were losing guys either towards the end of the season or right after the season, guys who appear to like the coach and sappy. I think a su had a situation. Yeah, you know, everybody was fine and then all of a sudden they're all gone. And you know, there's a lot of talking these situations. You don't know exactly that, there's a lot of talking to situations. You know, some of these promises may have not been kept and and that's so. But I think, you know, as we get further along, I think more and more of it's going to get standardized. And that's why they're saying now a lot of it is contracted and guys are getting paid regularly and and and all that, and I think the agents start getting the agents are getting more used to that. I think part of it is, from what I've been told, a lot of a lot of these agents representing a high school players who are coming into this aren't haven't been a lot experienced, and they're throwing out things and you know a lot of things aren't nailed down, maybe as much as they might be at a high a higher level. And but now that's starting to happen.
Speaker 6: So let me ask you.
Speaker 3: I got up this morning and I don't know why I got up early, because I never do. I'm like you, Bruce, I think you were on just in spiritual this morning. I said, Bruce made a pretty good point. Well, you made a great point, and I was listening near the tail end and you said, okay, so and to my point from earlier, kind of refutes my point.
Speaker 6: So Arizona's in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: And I've said this, even if they finished fourth or third, fourth, fifth in the league, they're still going to be tested. There'll still be good enough to win a National Talent because at the end of the day, that's what people here want, or get to the final four.
Speaker 6: But you made a good point.
Speaker 3: Historically, even teams in the Big twelve who finished third, fourth or fifth don't go far in the tournament.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean that's the same. People forget that a lot, and that's been true, some Big ten years when the Big tens had like ten teams or you know, eight teams in the tournament and then like one makes it to the round of sixteen and everybody's like, well, thanks for showing up, Big ten or Big twelve or whatever, and but that gets forgotten about. And I think I do believe that part of it is, yes, you get battle tested, but you also can get really worn out. And even in Pact twelve schedules, I think you could argue that that some of Arizona's teams under Tommy Lloyd and maybe even before that, weren't at their best in the tournament. They were kind of maybe leveling off at the end of the season and not getting better, maybe because they were fatigue. That's certainly that one year when he was down to a seven man rotation a couple of years ago, that was the case last year. You know, he could argue it either way. But you do wonder, Yeah, I mean, this team is definitely going to be battle tested. They'll they'll probably get a decent seed even if they do finish fifth in the league, but they could very well struggle tournament because you think about it, if you look at specially if you look at the schedule, it came out today. Four saturdays in a row. They're going to be at Ames playing Highwa State, one of the most intense environments in college basketball. The next Saturday they're gonna be playing another one of the most intense environments in college basketball, Kansas not a great teams. Then the next week they're going to be in Kansas City most of the week in the tournament, and then the week after that they're going to go to the NBA somewhere. If they're lucky, maybe it'll just be Denver. I think that's the closest. But in any case, that's four weeks in a row or you know, on the road. It's really going to test them. And I think that first week of the tournament it's really what it's going to boil down to, what did they learn, are they tougher, do they have anything left? And can they go? You know, that's that's going to be really really interesting to see.
Speaker 6: Right right.
Speaker 3: Lastly, we were at the press converce yesterday. Tommy's being Tommy with you and everybody else. You know, it's it's only September October. Who's your player? Who's your player or your sneak player that you think will have a the decent year at least have.
Speaker 6: A chance, not a starter. I have mine, And I asked my question about the.
Speaker 16: Kids, Well, you mean I think, you know, other than the projected starters, Yeah, I kind of think, you know, I mean, Carter Brian is interesting because he's so talented and he can do multiple things, but he's still going to be a freshman. So I kind of think Anthony Dollars might be really the guy that kind of opens some eyes, just because he is a really good shooter and scorer and played in that Campbell system that said played in a couple of years ago before he transferred, and it was a slower system, but a lot of the same kind of movement in those offenses, so he can make that adjustment. It's just going to be obviously playing against much higher level and more often, but you know, he's a third year player that's going to have some experience, So I think I think it'd be interesting. And I also think from what I understand, he's willing to play off the bench, even though he you know, he has been a starter and he's been a leading scorer blah blah blah. So he's going to be comfortable in that role, and I think that could did vode well, especially if it's true that they have to move over Caleb Love or kJ Lewis to play on the ball, because it's not clear can Conrad Martinez be the backup point guard if you have to do that, and then you but you get a guy like del Orso on the wing and keeps your offense, you know, going at a pretty high level. Because I think that's the one thing about moving Caleb Love to point guard is you don't want to you don't want to take away from his scoring because that's what he does, right, right, So really, yeah, I think it's a really good potential.
Speaker 3: He So what do you think about my pick with Henry Because I asked that question. I really liked him a lot two years ago. Uh, he didn't play, you know, he was hot and cold. He was a big guy. You've got to give him time. Last year obviously he set out with the injury. Uh, I'd hope to see that he's going to be much improved and have an impact.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just he's just a yeah, he's just a big question mark. So I guess I feel like Dulus is a little safer in my mind, I think, but I think they star is very talented. He can move well for his size. We saw that early in his freshman year and then but it was a yeah, an he kind of you know, and it looked like he maybe would make a push to be at least the ninth guy or something, and he kind of got pushed out and that you weren't sure if that was you know, just his freshman year and the adjustment from Europe or whatever, and you know, I think there was some questions about his toughness. And then he had a year off and the question is, yeah, we didn't see any of that year off, so what did he do. I know he was practicing for the second half of the season and that that certainly helped. And you know, so that he you know, he can do it. I think he'll have an opportunity to do it if he you know, but it's going to be it's going to be different coming in against a tough you know, they'll need him to be tough basically against the big twelve schedule and and to play in a four and a five. But I think there'll be opportunity there because you know, Mo creebus is, you know, only going to play so many minutes. And Emmanuel Stevens, you know, very talented, but I'm also very raw, and I don't see him playing much. So you know, it's the question of whether Basark can part about some time there himself or do they slide to other guys into the post spot.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, Bruce, we appreciate it, and I want to let us listeners know that there's no truth to the rumor that you were asked to be a walk on for Tommy Me.
Speaker 16: No, No, I annoy him enough the one press conference every week or whatever, you know, we with him. I think I think he gets to fill that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Bruce, get to your spot. Get to your spot, Bruce.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, you know what I mean. It's the thing like you were saying. I mean, it's like here we are preseason press common We're trying to ask about the team. What's gonna happen, what's this guy gonna do, what's that guy gonna do. He doesn't want to say, you know, he doesn't. He doesn't like to talk about the future. I don't blame him as a coach, but you know, it's also our job to kind of kind of try and the light about what's going to happen. So it's a now to a conflict and then you know, it's all it's all fun. He jokes about it, but he's also you know, understand.
Speaker 6: We're right right, okay, Bruce, thank you man. We'll see you soon. All right.
Speaker 16: Thanks you break here, Bruce.
Speaker 3: Pasco from the daily start, We're already over. We got to come back and finish the finish off the show. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is former Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 6: Space in your life.
Speaker 17: We all a complete line of codiu, miss jeans, multi gyms, and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to age and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 6: Learn how at Pima dot Edu.
Speaker 3: Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen, nor Campbell or Colum at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 18: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebels Poker dot com.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacob Salles they have their eye on the ball. On Tucson Sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey Welcome back to my lamar hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's George Muddies and we have at the controls. We get about twelve minutes or so. Thanks everybody for the for the guest host with Bruce and Brad.
Speaker 6: All that crazy stuff with Brad, you know.
Speaker 3: But hey, we were at the Del Soul this morning, Jay and I and of course Jay's going to be here with me at the Del Soul for our shows there. We were hoping to get there today and do a show.
Speaker 6: But we're not.
Speaker 3: We have to get ready for you know, the technology and stuff like that. So we were doing that this morning. Will either October tenth and October twenty fourth next month a couple of weeks as we get prepared for it. And we hope you guys go visit us. You've been there a few times, right in terms of shows, shows and you're play sports show. Yeah and great great venue, oh great venue that you guys are going to do it inside Sports Yeah Soul Okay, right, yeah, right where they do the gambling sports gambling.
Speaker 6: Uh huh so yeah. No it's a big yeah, big room. It's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the nicest one in town. Absolutely obviously, so we're here to do some promotions. So offering the most competitive lines Arizona Sol Sports The Casino Del Soul Sportsbook offers the most competitive lines in Arizona. Our sportsbook or their sportsbook features the spaces sports betting area with the full bar and full food service, surrounded by jumbo flat screen televisions anywhere you look, and with a high definition viewing wall for all your enjoyment. Luxury seeding to accommodate you and your guests when involved in high energy games all day. The bets can be placed in any of the fifteen self service betting kios or one of the five live ticket writer counters. Sportsbook personnel will always be ready to assist in making wagers and answering questions. They're there eight in the morning till about eleven PM, not two about till eleven am eleven PM, so it's almost self services twenty four to seven.
Speaker 6: Go buy game tonight. Who's they even have.
Speaker 3: One of the good things about that sports book is they have all the different prop bets prouts right yeah, I mean they're just loaded like bagas and they do help you. You know, you have a question they'll answer it. You know, what does this mean?
Speaker 6: What does this mean? And they have a bar. They have a bar in there too, Yeah they do. They have a full bar in there. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a great great. Are they gonna build you guys like a little like studio. No, we'll have a table. We'll have a tabble. As you walk into the room, you know, you see everything right there to the right. We'll have a table with all our stuff and we'll probably hoping to take calls.
Speaker 6: Go buy and see us. They'll have drink specially, and it's going to be a live show three to five pm. Three to five okay, cool, So it should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: So go visit us if you want to call, we have about ten minutes five to two oh four one six seventy four forty. We'd appreciate it. And what are your thoughts on the schedule? I thought Bruce made a lot of sense, and I laid it down, and I believe because the last month is going to be crazy. You're here, you're there, you're there, you're there, and then you got.
Speaker 6: To get going.
Speaker 7: Team gets worn out. Like he said, you know, I didn't get a chance as he was just going up. But I was like, so, what how do we solve this problem? Do we open up the roster a little bit like I mean, or a go down the bench a little deeper so the guys don't get warm.
Speaker 3: He doesn't do that. So he only has he only has nine scholarship guys. He'll have to go nine.
Speaker 6: Well we think that, and they say, oh, yeah, he talked about Conrad Martinez. I see. I mean they list him at six foot six one. He's really like five.
Speaker 7: Ten five to nine, right, and I don't you know, it's hard to defend someone at that size.
Speaker 6: So so we'll see what happens. I do believe.
Speaker 3: And I covered Loot from way you know, ninety to ninety one, whatever it was. And uh, it wears on you. The season wears on your thirty five games in or whatever and you're in March, and it ain't easy, man, It ain't easy.
Speaker 6: That's why you see the upsets. You see the amount of pressure of these guys.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: And I've talked to him.
Speaker 7: We walked across the court and he goes, you don't know, you know, in his accent, and he's like, oh my god, the pressure that we feel who says Marbala, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And it's it's true, like.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, you have a whole city trying to hope that you do well, and if you don't, you know, it's on you or whatever.
Speaker 6: We gotta call, we gotta call. Hey, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve, this is done.
Speaker 6: How you doing, don How are you? You sound different? It's it's the end of the day. Okay, what's what's up? What's up?
Speaker 19: Well, it's it's.
Speaker 5: It's about I haven't had a chance to look at the schedule. I did go back and I just I looked through Kansases schedule the way it was going last season, you know, and and I had called in and mentioned it. It's like, we're not going to have that rhythm like the Thursday Saturday or the Thursday Sunday or Friday Sunday whatever. We're not going to have that simple end of the week rhythm of the of the schedule anymore. And I remember, you know, I know you said you're looking forward to the to the season. I was leaning more towards what you know, Jay was really excited about this this season, upcoming season and everything, and and I'm going why yeah, because you know, because Calvin Sampson took a lot of whoopings at Arizona's hands.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and and the style of play that he has, I mean, the way that Houston plays ball. Now, a game, a game against Houston will be hungover for two more games after this.
Speaker 6: No, you're right. Physically it's going to be totally different.
Speaker 5: And and the grinds against Kansas and everything else, and and and looking back, historically, Arizona's only had to play two.
Speaker 6: Or three games a season, you know.
Speaker 4: The u c l A games.
Speaker 5: It was the u c l A games and oh wow, look as U looks kind of good this year, and the every once in a while they come up and they beat us, and then and then the Oregon came.
Speaker 6: Up and everything else, okay son, and.
Speaker 5: Then Tommy Lloyd comes from Gonzaga and they've only had to play two games a season, right right, Well, let me tell you, uh, and we got to go after this because we have another call. But did you like that, because you you'd go back in March and say, God, maybe we should have played a tougher schedule. I think it'll make us tougher.
Speaker 19: But Tommy's gonna have to stretch that he's gonna.
Speaker 5: Have to stretch that bench, maybe all the way to the walk ons, just to get through the gauntlet. I mean it's gonna be rough, and we better we better not be expecting to be at the upper echelon of that league.
Speaker 6: No, No, I just.
Speaker 5: Don't think it. I think expecting that is uh.
Speaker 6: Fo yeah, fool's gold.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Donny, Thank you man, appreciate your coful Thank you man. Let's go caare Okay, we got another call, right, yeah, good, let's take it. You're on the air and eye on the ball. I see it's Jim, Jim. What's the word.
Speaker 19: Well, I'm wondering as anybody voice the expectations for this week's football game. I haven't heard so much about it.
Speaker 3: No, I was hoping to do that tomorrow because they were one day closer.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And we'll have We're gonna have Patty Jake and I think we're gonna have Jim Livin good on tomorrow to talk about other things, you know, involving just uh just administration stuff. But no, go right ahead, though, I know that you're not too keen on the team.
Speaker 19: Well, I think they're they're in a bad spot right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do tell me why, and tell me why specific to the game, specific.
Speaker 6: To the game.
Speaker 19: They haven't yet learned or demonstrated that taking control the line of scrimmage for five plays.
Speaker 6: Yeah No, that's trouble. That's trouble.
Speaker 19: That's that's toxic as can be.
Speaker 6: It's to a football team, Yeah, because that's whether it's won or lost.
Speaker 19: It's all about the line of scrimmage. And I said to a quote, I don't know if you had time to read it, but the coach of Utah's coach said that, you know, I think we were the more physical team and that's that's our kind of game.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's that's uh kryptonite to Arizona football.
Speaker 19: Well, I think right now it is seen in these two or three games. You know, it's not It doesn't look that good.
Speaker 6: Jim. We got another call. Thanks you.
Speaker 3: Calls tomorrow we'll talk more football. All right, Okay, thank you? Okay, all right, got another call. Gotta stink this in before we get off today. Hey, are you on the air? Eye and the ball?
Speaker 2: It's tea money, yeah, Utah. Utah's coach was talking about the u of a loss last year at the end of the press conference right before the Oklahoma State game, he mentioned Arizona right before.
Speaker 16: They went in to play the O s U.
Speaker 2: So they're they're they're waiting. Yeah, I mean, And plus, I guess the night games at Wright Stadium are rare when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: They weren't when I lived out there. But Tea Money, I'm just curious, did you play ball? Did you play ball? No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I was gonna say, if you did, you know what the revenge factor is, especially when you get your ass kick like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got embarrassed, and it was it was just one of those games where it's like somebody let the air out.
Speaker 16: And the utes just just fizzled, fizzled away.
Speaker 2: But what I really wanted to say is Arizona has a better chance of going to the Final Four than they do of winning the Big Twelve in basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you what I've said to say? I totally agree with you, totally.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and Tommy Lloyd is, uh, this is gonna be uh let's not make or break or anything like that, but this is a revelation year for him.
Speaker 16: This is who who we are gonna find out?
Speaker 15: Who?
Speaker 2: Dude, really is, and uh, I think he's it. The honeymoon's over, and uh, let's let's play some basketball and let's play some defense. And if they get swept by Houston and embarrassed in Lawrence, you know, I think Tucson, Tucson can't just say, well, it's.
Speaker 16: A new league.
Speaker 2: We have to we have to stand up for ourselves there.
Speaker 3: No, it's a new league that's gonna be like this for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we we don't. It's not like there's a blank slate and we have nothing to compare it to. We know what Loot would have done. We know how Lout would have retooled, We know how Lout would have got his guys ready. The question is, Tommy, are you ready for this?
Speaker 1: And is there?
Speaker 2: Are we going to continue to be Arizona basketball?
Speaker 6: We're gonna turn into Kansas State right right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Too many?
Speaker 3: Thanks a bunch, man, We've got to go. Appreciate the call. Keep keep calling, man, Thank you. We gotta go, right, We got no time. Thank you, Ryan, Hey, George, thank you for absolutely my pleasure. Okay, take care