Speaker 1: Dave, Happy New Year, Happy New Year, Mandy, welcome back is as well. You had got some time off and so did I.
Speaker 2: So it's nice, you know, and I loved every bit of every single bit of it. It was wonderful. But I came back from Ohio where it was also quite nice. It was the weather was not bad there until like the last we Okay, Dave, this was kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Can I just have like a.
Speaker 2: Weather like a nerdy weather moment with you for a moment. So we're driving back from northeast or northwest Ohio, right, So we get in the car and it's like nine o'clock in the morning and it's like sixty degrees. So between where we ended up stopping on the west side of Kansas City, No, we went beyond that. We went to Manhattan, Kansas. So we drove to Manhattan, Kansas. We drove to a cold front, so we stopped to eat. We go in the restaurant, it's like sixty five degrees. We come out of the restaurant, it's like thirty five degrees. I love that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fantastic. You know, we see those.
Speaker 1: Temperature swings that drops here as well. But in the Midwest. Sometimes that can be an ugly transition there because it can be in ice and snow, especially if you're on the roads traveling. That's never fun. I had to drive one time. We've had the same thing. We left here and everything was fine. We were chasing the back end of a blizzard and I tried to time it out as we were heading from here through Des Moines and towards Milwaukee, and I tried to time it out that we would stay on the back edge of the blizzard. I got a little too aggressive in the driving and.
Speaker 3: Got into the back edge of it, and boy, what the difference it makes.
Speaker 1: It was so bad.
Speaker 3: I had to stop for gas.
Speaker 1: It was so cold, so windy, snow was sideways. My debit card got stuck in.
Speaker 3: The gas because it was frozen.
Speaker 1: I had to get the guy to shut the pump off of my damn card back out. So I love that.
Speaker 2: My first weather experience like that was I was laying over in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as a matter of fact, and we walked to the restaurant from the hotel. It was like a two mile walk, No big deal, right, you know. We walked down there, we eat, we come out it was seventy degrees. I had on shorts, it was snowing. So in the two and a half hours we were in there, like it's just it was crazy. But anyway, I do have questions about our actual weather tomorrow. So what are we really looking at. Let's start with the stalk show first of all, goes off at noon. Are they going to be able to get that done before they have to deal with foul weather?
Speaker 1: You're talking the parade down. Yeah, yes, I do think they'll get it off. They have dealt with weather in the past when it deals with cold and snow.
Speaker 3: Right now, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of questions that still need to be answered, generally at this time frame. You know, we're within the twelve to eighteen hours of this event starting. We'd like more details finalized, but we're still working out some final details. Here's the bottom line. It's going to snow, and it's going to turn colder. It's going to drop tomorrow into the upper thirties and then slowly drop the low freezing late tomorrow afternoon. Thursdays, Friday's high will only be around thirty three thirty four. Overnight lows will be in the teams in twenties, so we've got the cold component, we've got enough moist that we will get snow. Always in these situations, the questions becomes the how much, and it's the how much that we're still struggling with a little bit as computer models range widely, and it has to do with the windflow that you and I talk about all the time. For the stock show parade, I do think there could be some light snowshowers around. My forecast right now, just finalizing it is. I do think we'll have some light snow in the morning, and then there could be a low for many hours in the afternoon before things kick back in around four o'clock. So with the stock show parade, I think it could be cold and there could be some flurries of light snowshowers, but I don't think they're going to be in the brunt of the snow.
Speaker 3: I think that happens after four.
Speaker 1: O'clock tomorrow afternoon and then continues till about two to four in the morning, so about a twelve hour e bend. And it's that duration if we can sustain the right wind direction that will give us our snow totals, which we think right now may you're about one to four typical upslope one as you go up towards Fort Collins, two swards Lovelands, threes and fourth that you come into Denver. And then the heaviest totals will be south and west of I seventy, where we see those favored numbers get a little deeper.
Speaker 2: So basically, this texter said, Mandy Weather, I'm traveling by car west on I seventy from Denver Friday. And now Dan and I kids just updated, so they basically they're asking, so Friday, you should have what snow on the roads.
Speaker 3: But no snow to deal with exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just going to depend. This storm should lift out very early Friday morning, leaving us with little snow to deal with after about eight to ten. And that includes the mountains. But it will come down to what do the roads look like? What does it look like getting up Floyd Hill and into the mountains. Are there any pass considerations veil pass and stuff like that. So if you're driving from Denver and heading west, I would say.
Speaker 3: You're you're okay, but just be prepared.
Speaker 1: For any you know, road condition that may have deteriorated the night before.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the bigger weather picture over the next six weeks. I know, you guys always look out. It's it's very imprecise science at this point. But we've had such a dry fall, we're well below snowpack. Are we looking to make Is there anything on the you know, on the horizon that is going to change that for us?
Speaker 3: So you know that that has been a concern.
Speaker 1: You know. It's interesting the calendar year twenty twenty five actually ended up right where it should be for moisture. And what that tells me is it.
Speaker 3: Was short for snow for the early snow months that we've.
Speaker 1: Had, so September, October, November, December, December, Mandy actually came out right on track. And what people may forget is that on the third of December we had a four point three snow in snowstorm, and then on the twenty eighth we had another two point three for six point sixth total, which is the average for the month of December.
Speaker 3: So December actually ended up okay, and for the entire.
Speaker 1: Year we ended up right where we should be for moisture. What that tells me is that while we were lacking in snow, we made up for the moisture in the calendar year because of a wet spring and periodic rains over the summer. And if you'll remember our conversations going back to September, and you know, everything's still being green and the fall was looking in October, and should we blow the sprinklers out because it's dry and everything still looks lush. That had to do with all that early season moisture that kept us looking pretty good. Where we are lacking is snow. The snowpack is only at about sixty percent fots. And I always like to listen, we still got all of January, all of February and marching April our snow is month. And so for the snowpack and our snow concerns, we load now. We want to load as much snow as we can up through about April seventh, and then after that we start to melt the snow, and that's our water supply and reservoirs, so we've got time to make up.
Speaker 3: For the shortfalls.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't give up on the season this year, this early. I'm going to say this.
Speaker 2: The ski resorts have been having a terrible time because there's the lack of snow. Are they going to get a good guy. Are they going to get a soaking here.
Speaker 1: With this storm? Yes, yeah, this will be good. The last one they got there was if you were following any of the resorts like Loveland and Aspmen, Snowmass and all those guys, they were rejoicing in the last snow. They got really deep fresh powder of eight to ten inches some places. We're twelve thirteen. They'll get similar totals here. We're looking at a good eight to twelve inches in the mountain, So great for them. Should help with the snowpack.
Speaker 3: Overall, this is a.
Speaker 1: Good storm moisture equivalent. I will tell you this that the month of January, our total moisture is around four tenths of an inch. This storm coming in has the ability to deliver about a quarter of an inch, maybe a little more, and that obviously equates to two to four to two to five to maybe two to six inches on the south side of town that would be here.
Speaker 3: You know, we're what eight days into the.
Speaker 1: Month, nine days into the month, almost a whole month's moisture. So again, you know, you look at the bigger picture, you think December was the second Warmistan record. It's long, long, stretches of dry and warm and windy conditions, but then you sprinkle in these decent snowstorms and when you average it out at the end of the month, it actually doesn't look that bad on paper.
Speaker 3: It's just that we go through these long stretches. And by the way, this is exactly where we were last year.
Speaker 1: This is a classic Laminia pattern where we get these long, dry, windy stretches, fire concerns get elevated, and then all of a sudden, banged, you get hit with a storm. Those concerns go away for several days, and then you get back into that pattern. And I do think that's what we'll see following this event. Thursday Fridays, we go back to warm and dry.
Speaker 2: From your lips for God's ears. Dave Frasier Fox thirty one is chief Meteorologist's good to talk to you, my friend, and I'm looking forward to another exciting year of weather Wednesday.
Speaker 1: And so am I and a Rod get better and everybody else stay healthy because that cred.
Speaker 3: Going around too, and it is not fun.
Speaker 2: You know, it is not. You need to. I could have given you my witchcraft tips that I got from natural grocers. It worked, man, It works. So all right man, I'll talk to you next week. That Stave Frasier. We'll be right back