Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries. Out of deference to persons who may still be living. Character names in some of these true unsolved mysteries have been changed. It is now the very witching time of night, when churchyards yawn and hell itself breathed out contagion to this world?
Speaker 2: Can anything be more ghastly than murder?
Speaker 1: Perhaps if it'd be the life crushing burden of doubt susage In the case of Alan Cammell mm hm.
Speaker 3: Oh at.
Speaker 4: Project.
Speaker 1: The scene is just outside the London County Police Station. Unmindful of the tragedies that old building houses, the hurrying, milling crowds sweep by in never ending stream. In contrast, Alan Cammell, reading the morning paper, strolls leisurely by hurrying from the opposite direction. The District Commissioner of Police, his eyes fixed on the pavement, guiding these two men with threads as invisible as they are strong fate, without whose ruling hand this tale would not be told. Oh, I say, I'm fitfully sorry, careless of me banging into this way, But by Joe Commissioner.
Speaker 2: I didn't recognize you. Oh it's all right, old cheff. I guess my mind was bull gathering too. Where are you bound? Just taking a stroll and you going into the police station here to take a look at the morning lineup? Morning lineup or fair? Come along in and see if they have time.
Speaker 1: They'll find it interesting, although something for him the usphere of activities.
Speaker 2: Good morning, commits a mound.
Speaker 1: Good morning, sergeant, Oh sergeant, this mister glad the lawyer, sir, and let it be two two songs. We will show us to Campbell the morning lineup. He's had no experience of the inside of a police station.
Speaker 2: I wonder, sir, Yes, would mister Campbell object to joining in the lineup?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's up to him. I don't mind, certainly not. What do I do?
Speaker 1: Well? The idea is this, sir, when a crime is committed, we round up all the criminals we can who specialize on that type of crime. I see, but last night we had a murder, and the elevator boy, a dormant, and the taxi driver have all said we saw a man, a well dressed man, leaving the apartment house. So we want to get as many different types of men possible in the lineup so that we can get some sort of idea.
Speaker 2: As to what this man, this possible murderer, looks like.
Speaker 1: For instance, Campbell, the identifying group may say, the man we saw had shoulders like number twenty five, walks like number fifteen, or had a.
Speaker 2: Nose like number four.
Speaker 1: Smart one, I argue with the line up, please to do it, No, r boy, We'll start. The Commissioner's here, okase sagn't can't mind? Up into a long, whitewashed room. It's hard walls reflecting the harshness of the bluish white arc lamps. Walks Alan Cammell from the opposite end of the room, a file of suspicious characters picked.
Speaker 2: Up during the night. Campbell joins the end of the lion.
Speaker 1: As the group, their backs to the wall, stand erect against the lines of measurement, the sergeant brings in the three identifying witnesses.
Speaker 2: Slowly.
Speaker 1: They walk past the lineup, first the taxi driver, then the elevator boy, third lit the doorkeeper.
Speaker 2: Each in turn hesitates a moment, then stepping in front of Camel. That's the man. This is the man.
Speaker 1: He's the man I saw. I'm sorry, gentlemen, there must be some mistake. I don't worry, mister Campbell, just a case of mistaken identity. That will be all just now, certain, okay, boys, that's all for just now, Come along Campbell, who had enough experience of police methods for the day, into my office here.
Speaker 2: I have a drink. Yes, I guess you will. Oh the nerve wracking, isn't it? Yes? It is stupid identified as a mergerer. By the way, who was that it was killed? I don't know. I look on the report.
Speaker 1: Uh, Robert Julian, Robert Julian, Are you certain where did helium Bathurst Department?
Speaker 2: Heaven you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, m yes, I know.
Speaker 1: I rather than knew him very well, went to school with him. He served under me during the war. We were both members of the same PLoP. When I say, I'm factfully sorry, Old Chaptain have been responsible for giving us such the sharpest way.
Speaker 2: Don't bring yourself, Commisioner. You you couldn't be expected to know.
Speaker 1: However, if you don't mind, I think I'll run along, Quie not in the slightest have another drink before you go?
Speaker 2: No thanks. So rarely in almost the.
Speaker 1: Days, Cammell steps out on the Marlborough Road. Here's a passing taxi cab and is driven out to Mayfair outside the Bathurst apartments.
Speaker 2: He dismisses the taxi, but hesitates as to whether or not he should go up to Julian's apartment. Finally, his heart cundling against his ribs, he tenses himself and walks down the hallway. Hey, this is is Alan, Alan Campbell. Oh Allan, Allen. I I don't know what to say. I I just learned just now that Bob had been head what's dead?
Speaker 5: Said Dan? Come here, said Helen.
Speaker 1: I can't come myself. I've just had the horrible experience of being identified as his murderer. Where at the police station?
Speaker 2: Oh? Alan?
Speaker 5: How did they find out?
Speaker 2: Find out? What?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Does do you mean you?
Speaker 5: You don't have to deny it to me?
Speaker 2: Alan? To what is ever? Goodbody? Crazy?
Speaker 5: Allan? I? I came home about two this morning and and found Bob dead lying beside him. Where he slipped from the murder's pocket?
Speaker 2: Was this? I put it in my HANDA good lord, my cigarette case? Then? Can you think that I killed him?
Speaker 5: Didn't you threatend to cull him?
Speaker 2: Yes, if he ever harmed you? But how did you know that Bob left the package to be opened at his death?
Speaker 5: I opened it? It told how how it lied to me about you, how he quipped me into breaking off our engagement. In his he actually igloried and writing all the horrible details. Then he went on to say that if if ever he came to a violent death, he would be his murderer, because you had told him that if he ever hurt me, harmed me, was unkind to me, you'd kill him.
Speaker 2: It's all true.
Speaker 1: For years I've hated him. That's why I avoided him. At the time I set eyes on, I realized what he'd done, and that, Oh, perhaps I should have told you, but you wouldn't have believed me. How could you be expected to? But Eileen, I I didn't kill him.
Speaker 5: How do you account for your cigarette?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I now use your phone? Yes, Allen, you'd be Tottenham two two six seven eight les Glee. Uh hello, Dobbs. Listen, Dobbs. When did I get home last night? About seven? That's right? Did I go up again?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Good, I knew I hadn't, but oh, yes, Dobbs. Look in the gun room, will you and tell me? Has anything been disarranged?
Speaker 2: Yes? You can call me Mayfair four three ninety six, and you see dobb says, I wasn't out all evening. Dos purge it for you, Allen.
Speaker 1: She's no reason for he doesn't know anything. Why should he say that I was home all evening if I were?
Speaker 5: Dods is the world's greatest dipl I.
Speaker 2: Know, Iileen, don't you see? I'm I'm not lying when I say that I didn't kill Bob. I might have in the blind rage, I don't know, but not in cold blood shall lie of you? You answer? Yes, dogs, what contunderstand it? Commenterstand what? Yes? Yes, good heavens yes, by all means hate it. I'll explain it. I'll get home Dobbs. Dobbs says, my forty five has been moved used one bullet fire. Oh and this is horrible dash it.
Speaker 1: To kill a man is bad enough, but to kill him not even remember it, well, not anything about it, to both for the rest of my life, wandering, doubting, never knowing, always wondering.
Speaker 2: In just a moment, you will hear a solution to the Allen Camel mystery. M the p.
Speaker 6: SPA that the s times not appecial.
Speaker 7: Si ladies and gentlemen, inasmuch as any solution must have necessarily be supposition. Liberties of time, place and character have been taken in the solution for what you have been waiting. The scene is the police Commissioner's home, and the Commissioner, accompanied by the sergeant from the Marlborough station, are seated before the fire talking as Alan Campbell enters.
Speaker 1: Oh, good evening, Camber, good evening. Sit down here by the fire. That's it now, puck on your mind. I hard enough where to start. I call you, commissioner, now ask you to invite the start of the word. Because of what happened this morning, my dear.
Speaker 2: Cat, forget the whole business. We know you didn't kill Robert Julian, but that's it. It seems that I did what. I went to his apartment after I left the police station. His wife was there and.
Speaker 1: She gave me this a cigarette case, yes mine, she found it lying beside her husband's body.
Speaker 2: Out for the rest of the camera. Julian and I were in love with the same woman. She was engaged to me. He tricked her into believing that.
Speaker 1: I was carrying on with another woman. Yes, she broke off her engagements and I you you second, Julian, I did. I told him that if he ever hurt her, I'd kill him. Recently he's been well, he'd gone back to his old tricks, neglecting her and all the rest of it. It's been on my mind, but I'm not the slightest recollection of doing anything. If I killed him, I don't know about it. You you've gone over in your mind when you were alone brooding, just how you would give him.
Speaker 2: Yes, I admit that. Then that's the explanation.
Speaker 1: Your subconscious mind has taken possession of your physical body to commit murder without your ever being aware of the facts.
Speaker 2: Is that possible? It won't be the first time.
Speaker 1: It's the cause of the subconscious power of the physical body that the murderer very often revisits the seed of his crime.
Speaker 2: Then you think, you rarely think that I have killed Julian. Yes, thank Cly, I do. And there's nothing else is there except the form. I'm not going to arrest you, and I don't think the sergeant is either. It's not me, sir. I don't in the first place.
Speaker 1: I don't believe a jury would convict you. In the second place, I'm not going to give them a chance. And so, in so far as the people of London were concerned. Alan Campbell's name was never mentioned, and the murder of Robert Julian was an unsolved mystery.
Speaker 4: Perfect Us
Speaker 6: Satisf