Speaker 1: Podsave America has brought you by simply Safe. Summer travel season is officially here. Don't put a damper on your vacation wondering whether or not you remember to lock up the house. Let a simply Save system put your mind at ease so you can get back to the good stuff. I set up a simply Safe credibly easy to do. It's a great system, really reliable customer support, great app, really easy to use. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs. Then it chips fast directly to your door. The app guide it's set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can sol an arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring, so you can feel safe and secure this summer and beyond. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe for their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring, and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash Crooked that's half off at simply safe dot com slash crookeet. There is no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm Jon Favreau, I'm Dan Pfeiffer. On today's show, Donald Trump's had some major accomplishment on affordability, as only he knows how by canceling it. We'll talk about why and why the President is fighting again with Republicans in Congress. We'll also talk about Zoron Mamdani's House candidates going three for three in New York's primaries on Tuesday and why that's causing some Democrats to panic and Republicans to smile. We'll do a quick check in on JD Vance's charm offensive and whether it's winning over his wife. And then Gina Inojosa, the Democrat running to be governor of Texas, stops by to talk about her race against Greg Abbott and why she might become Texas's first Democratic governor in nearly forty years. Before we start, please consider subscribing to Friends of the Pod if you haven't already. You get ad free episodes of this pod and all your favorite Crooked pods. Plus you get subscriber only shows like Polar Coaster with the One and Only Dan Pfeiffer and I hear you guys are back at it. You did another Polar Coaster this week, Right, we.
Speaker 3: Did it came out this week. We talked a little bit about the New York racis You and I we also going to talk about We also talked about the politics of abortion four years after Dobs.
Speaker 2: Excellent everyone. Check that out. You can get it if you subscribe. You also get our extra episode of Potsave America called Potsave America Only Friends. You get lots of excellent substack newsletters, and you get to be feeling good about supporting a proudly independent pro democracy media company. So check it out Crooked dot com slash friends. All right, let's get to the news. Donald Trump made some real progress this week trying to sabotage his Republican majority in Congress. Minutes before he was scheduled to appear at a signing ceremony for a landmark housing affordability bill that passed with huge bipart some majorities, the President announced that it was canceled and that he won't be signing the housing legislation until Congress passes the Save Act which is the bill that would require all Americans to show passports or birth certificates in order to register to vote, and has failed to pass in the Senate five times now. The housing bill would reduce barriers to building new homes and limit the ability of big investors to buy up single family homes, ideally lowering the price of housing down the road. But alas Trump doesn't want to give anyone the impression that he and his party are focused for even a second on affordability, so no housing bill this week. Trump elaborated on his thinking in an Oval Office appearance a little later in the day. Let's listen.
Speaker 4: Basically, it's the Save America Act. Everybody wants it. Everybody is, including Democrats. I'd set them on signing the housing bill. I want to see what happens. We say, Look, the housing bill is, how's it? I made billions of dollars with housing. I know housing better than anybody maybe anywhere. It's all about the interest rate. Lower the interest rates. You can have all the housing you want. You have to understand I don't want to have I don't want to hurt people that own houses too. Affordability. We're doing great. The Democrats gave us a tremendous affordability problem, and we're reducing prices.
Speaker 2: Over I'm a billionaire. I made a fortune on housing, and we got to keep We got to help other people who already own homes.
Speaker 3: Take it from me, successful slum lord on how to deal with housing prices.
Speaker 2: So, considering that the housing bill will become law in ten days even without Trump's signature, and that if he does decide to veto it, Congress has the numbers to override a veto. What was Trump thinking when he decided to do this? What's the what's going on here? Dan?
Speaker 3: You know there's been this debate over the years. Trump is crazy. You're crazy like a fox. This is just crazy. Like, just put yourself in the position of Republicans, right, you're a vulnerable Republican. You're like a Susan Collins or a Dan Sullivan, or you're one of these Republicans like Mike Lawler in a purple district. You wake up on Wednesday morning, here's what your day looks like. Democrats in the middle of a giant fight because we've elected some socialists in New York City that you're about to have a signing ceremony for a massive bipartisan bill that would they would be signed by Donald Trump, but written in part by Elizabeth Warren that will address housing prices. It'd be a real, actual tangible accomplishment. You could take the voters to say, like, I'm trying to do something to deal with your cost of living crisis. And instead of that, Donald Trump, just minutes Beforehandson's had an insane truth demand cancer in the signing ceremony, stopping on both the democrats bad message the Republican's good message, because he has a near fatal attraction to a bill that no one likes and if it were to pass, we make it harder for Republicans wh win elections.
Speaker 2: It is, it is wild, and that he just keeps. First of all, let's just talk about the Save America Act, which he has called it. It was the Save Act, then he changed it to the Save America Act. It's also supposed to like ban mail in voting nationwide. I think that's part of it too, or that's like one of the add ons that he included himself. So I don't know why he's so, I mean, I know why because he thinks that like it's going to help them rig the elections and win. But it is wild to me that no one has told him, None of his political advisors have told him that actually, this bill would probably hurt Republicans because it would make it harder for the lower income Americans, much of many of whom vote for Donald Trump and vote for Republicans now to register to vote because not everyone has their passport, lying around, not everyone has their birth certificate, lying around. Republicans run around saying that this is only about like showing your license and showing some form of ID, and isn't that easy to do? And that's not actually what the bill does. The bill is much more comp makes The bill makes voting and registering to vote much more complicated than that. I mean, it.
Speaker 3: Would end in under current form basically end online voter registration and automatic voter registration. We've talked about this before. Not that many Americans have majority Americans do not have passports. The ones who don't have passports are just unfortunately working class and didn't go to college, which has been the core of the Trump base. But it is like I just so, there's there's a bunch of different things going on here. It can't pass, right they tried several times. It cannot pass there, it doesn't have the there are sixty votes, obviously, and there run fifty votes to eliminate the filibuster. And then even if it were to pass, it would be bad for Republicans. And at no point in these various junctures does Trump seem to understate like it's just it's like, it's true, it's delusional. The whole thing is ilutionial. And it seems his upset with this seems genuine. He seems to. Maybe it's because it's something he wants it he can't get. That's what bothers him, because he like, up until this point with this Republican Caucus, he's been with the exception of the E. Fsteine files, what he has wanted he has got. You want to confirm a bunch of fucking dunderheads to be in charge of the military and health, the human services, will do that. You want to us to stand idly by while we prosecute people, will do that. But here's the thing he wants and he cannot have, and it seems to be driving him even more bananas than usual.
Speaker 2: I also think that all all these things he wants to do with voting in the election. He is being told or has been also told by the courts that he can't do via executive order, but you can tell that if he doesn't get the same back pass, he's still going to try to do a lot of this shit around the election, which should alarm everyone. Of course. On the housing bill, though, like the thing is going to become law. In fact, right before we started recording, Mike Johnson said that they will be transmit he talked to Trump and that they will be trans admitting the legislation to Trump. So I assume, although I shouldn't assume, but seems seems like he might just sign it after all. But even if he doesn't, it becomes law. Like great, it's it's good legislation. His opportunity to take credit for it is sort of gone now. And it's not like people are going to feel the effects of this housing bill, certainly not by the midterms, maybe not for a couple of years, because really it's just sort of reducing barriers to building more affordable housing and sort of changing some of the formulas where the federal government gives money to states, and now it's going to be based on you know, whether they've actually produced more housing and built more housing so they can still take credit for it. But I don't think Trump's going to be taking credit for it.
Speaker 3: But even then, so the when you like, we should, we'll get into this. But as we know, a bill that does not actually impact people's lives has limited political impact. But the moment when people pay attention is the signing ceremony ten days from today Thursday is the fourth of July weekend. It seems like a bad time to get attention for your bill.
Speaker 2: Well. Also, he apparently the Wallsrey Journal has him saying, uh, Trump saying to someone one of his advisors at my rallies, no one cares about the housing bill at my rallies. But when I say save America, then every they can't sit down. And then apparently punch Bowl has four sources saying that that Trump said to Mike Johnson directly, no one gives a shit about housing.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember he said that. He said that a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Like literally, like affordability is the top issue. And then when you dive into affordability, like sometimes it's groceries and gas, sometimes it's housing, but housing is I think it's like one of the maybe the top two or three concerns of most American voters.
Speaker 3: And particularly younger voters. Like this shows up in focus groups. It shows it like, yes, is it true that people are not cheering for the twenty first century Road to Housing Act? Of course, would it be helpful for are Republicans and Democratic incumbents to go to voters and say, here is a thing I a bipartisan accomplishment I had that is addressing your concern even if you're not feeling it. Absolutely, And Trump is just making that messier for Republicans because he can't. He's having some sort of insane temper tantrum over a bill that can't pass.
Speaker 2: After canceling the bill signing, Trump did attend his previously scheduled lunch with Senate Republicans, which went about as well as you can imagine given the circumstances. According to Senator John Kennedy, Trump was quote mad as a murder hornet and berated Republicans for not supporting him on an iron vote, which then led to a shouting match with Bill Cassidy, who Trump recently drove from office. CNN reports that Trump told Cassidy to sit down Cassidy refused and raised his voice. Trump called him a lunatic. Cassidy then referred to Trump as brother, and Trump told him he wasn't his brother. Eventually sat down. John Kennedy later said that the meeting was a success because quote no one got stabbed, which is an excellent bar to set. Trump also apparently isn't done trying to force Republicans to eat shit on Iran. The administration just ask Congress for eighty eight billion dollars in funding, which would mostly help pay for the war. How do you think that's going to go over, Dan?
Speaker 3: Well, before we get to the war funding in this meeting and the punch bowl reporting on it and punch Bawl generally gets like a full live texting of these sorts of things. It seems like no one pushed back on Trump on the Save Act even though every Republican center, with the possible exception of Mike Lee and maybe Rick Scott, no it can't pass. None of them would say it to Trump's face, which is why they're in this mess to begin with, which is like a pure sign of weakness and failure from John Thune. Yeah, like you have him in the room. This is the big you can't pass anything the House. It's why we should mention Trump's got to run so chened up on this that Anna Pauline A Luna has stopped will not allow anything to pass on the House floor until the Senate passes the same deck, which is something that it doesn't make a lot of constitutional sense.
Speaker 2: Shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like they can't pass the rule, they can't pass anything. They're trying to pass through appropriation bills the entire they they have to go home on Friday because they can't do anything. And uh, and she's demanding that they attach the Save Act to either the FAISA Bill or the Defense Authorization Bill, which the Senate will then take out in both those cases. But so the whole thing is, you have Trump has got to win chin up about this. No one will, but no one will say to his face why this can't work. And it's one thing for his like terrible slavish, obsequious advisors to not say it. But here are members of Congress, senators who are not up for reelection this year, maybe some of them are not up for reelection ever again, who are incapable of mustering the courage to say to one man a simple math fact.
Speaker 2: And it's like they could have even they could have even talked beforehand and said, all right, I'm gonna bring it up, but back me up if I do strength and numbers still nothing still like Bill Cassidy, I guess got up and yelled at him about the Iran war powers. Vote yeah, and then and then changed his vote because because the White House afterwards like gave him a briefing that he wanted and he and then he was like felt sad that he raised his voice. I'm like, the guy cost you your job. You're not gonna be a senator anymore because of this man, for for the for for I guess voting for impeachment the second time. Apparently Trump in the meeting too, is like all the people that voted for my impeachment, voted to convict me, are gone now. And then like he looked over at Lisa Murkowski, who was just like sitting there in the corner. He's like, accept her. Unbelievable, do sus A Collins Iff have for that? Uh? Oh? Interesting? Did she vote for the second she had to vote for the second impeachment? Maybe he may.
Speaker 3: Maybe look in fairness, we have barely covered the main Senate race this year. So probably.
Speaker 2: Maybe Susan Collins got smart and just didn't go to the lunch, you know that she probably didn't go the Like, if I were Susan Collins, I would stay clear of any anywhere where John Donald Trump was, Like, that would just be that's got to be a base, like a campaign one oh one kind of thing. Yes, So here's the thing now with this Trump and the GOP Congress, I'm wondering, like how much all this matters because not many actual work days left between now and the midterms. They're going to go home for the fourth of July break, they're going to come back. There's going to be August recess, then they come back, then everyone's campaigning, and then it's November before you know it. Trump seems intent on sabotaging any chance of anything passing before election day. I see it. It seems hard to believe that this eighty eight billion dollar war funding supplemental is going to pass, even though they thought they were really clever and included some abola funding in it to try to like get Democrats to vote for it. It doesn't seem like anything else, Like it doesn't seem like the same America Act is going to pass. But then the question is, like does any of that matter? What do you like in terms of the politics of the midterms.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting question because I don't think there's any sort of bill, even this housing bill Republics could pass that would dramatically change the political dynamics here. Look, I think if you're an incumbent member of Congress and you can pass something that addresses people's number one concern and you can talk about that on the trail or in a debate or in an ad that's better than nothing. And so this is an opportunity cost for the way Trump stepped on the housing bill. What I think probably matters here is they're going to need to pass this supplemental which is politically toxic. You know in that CBS poll, sixty nine percent that people think the war hasn't been worth the cost. We haven't even paid the eighty billion dollars yet, so when you start paying the eight a billion dollars, number is going to get worse. And so they need and it's it'll be on reconciliation, So they need fifty votes. And in our old world we used to be like, well, Susan Collins doesn't have to vote for it, and she'll be fine. But now you got a bunch of other Republican senators. You have Dan Sullivan, you have John Houstad. You got a bunch of people who are gonna have to probably cast a vote here and that's gonna be unpopular. You need everyone to do it because you're gonna you'll probably get Fetterman. I guess, so maybe you can lose three Republicans. Yeah, but that'll be it.
Speaker 2: It's good. Also, there's also a government funding deadline. By the way, I was going to.
Speaker 3: Bring that up too, is that that's the real that's looming here right before the election.
Speaker 2: It's looming. We got a Loomer.
Speaker 3: We're already looming. It's over the June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's September thirtieth. There's a government funding deadline. So you got that. You got this war funding supplemental nothing that anyone wants to pass, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: If I was Donald Trump and I cared passionate about election integrity, one thing I would do is demand that I would suggest that I wouldn't sign a government funding bill unless they include unless they passed the Save Act I'm just an idea, just an idea, I'm sure. But does it make it to his ears.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's already on a notepad somewhere Dan or whiteboard in the White House for sure, No, I think. And the other the other challenge here is I think they thought that this eighty eight billion dollar war funding supplemental would like they waited until after they thought the war was over, and then so they could sell it as like, oh, this is just backfilling, you know, like now we just it's for future conflicts and now our military is depleted and we need and what are you going to do now? You know? Except the war doesn't seem to be over. There was another tanker that was attacked by an Iranian drone. Today it does not seem like the traffic. The traffic has increased through the Strait, but it is not anywhere near back to normal levels. I believe, like the Chevron is saying the gas prices will be elevated for a while, Trump's flipping out about that. Now he's promising to go after price gouging gas companies or open like a DOJ investigation, which, as we know from the Bide administration works so well we tried.
Speaker 3: We tried that newbom of years us too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it never works, but you say it any and so he's going to have to deal with that. Gas prices are going to be still high and so when So that's going to make the eighty eight billion dollars look even worse to voters.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I mean it's it's terrible. Honestly, it's probably would have been better to do it when the war was going on, so you could make it be about protecting the troops. And instead it's just it's like, here's the bill has come due for this unfun thing that no one wanted and everyone hated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh and by the way, we're we've cut all your medicaid too and everything else in the government. So good luck with that.
Speaker 3: But we do we do have money for ballrooms and algae, the world algae. I mean we as what's we're some better for the world algae.
Speaker 2: It really does make you think, like when these Republicans hit the trail in the fall, like they don't have much to say except that democrats are as our next topic, Democrats are all crazy socialists, Like I don't know what else they can say about themselves and what they've done in Congress. I don't really imagine anyone talking about this housing bill, because, like you said, if the housing bill hasn't really had any effect on housing prices, I don't think that's gonna and very well with people.
Speaker 3: They're gonna they will do, and it's not gonna work, and it's gonna be pretty pitophon and it is like leading with your chin. But they will talk about the tax provisions and the big beautiful builthy no tax on tips, the Social Security stuff, tax cuts middle class, which will then allow every Democrat to point out that most of the tax cuts went to billionaires and corporations, and that we are paying for those tax cuts for billiness corporations by cutting healthcare, food assistants, closing rural hospitals, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Pod Dave of America is brought to you by Neutrafoil. Real change comes from the small, healthy habits you do every day that quietly add up to big improvements. That's the idea behind Neutrafil. It's built around a simple, consistent approach to hair health that works from within and delivers visible results over time, not overnight. Neutrafil is the number one dermatologists recommended hair growth supplement brand and it's the number one hair growth supplement brand personally used by dermatology. Neutrafols hair growth supplements are peer reviewed, NSF certified for sport and clinically tested. It's not a one size fits all approach. Neutrifol offers multiple formulas for men and women tailored to different life stages like postpartum or menopause, and lifestyle factors such as a plant based diet, so you get the personalized support that's right for you. Adding neutrafold to your daily routine is easy, order online, no prescription needed, with automated deliveries and free shipping to keep you on track. Let your hair become one less thing taking up space in your head and see thicker, stronger, faster growing hair with less shedding in just three to six months with neutrofol For a limited time, Neutrifols offering our listeners ten dollars off your first month subscription and free shipping when you visit neutrifol dot com and enter promo code crooked. That's Neutrofol dot com spelled n U t r a f o l dot com promo code crooked.
Speaker 1: Poddam America is brought to you by Zebiotic. Saturday night with my wife and friends, Sunday morning with my kids. Those are both non negotiables. Yeah, you always I am. I simply must be at my best for the children. The problem is the second one used to feel a lot harder after the first one. Not with zebiotics pre alcohol. It's a small thing I added that makes the whole weekend work. It's like, I gotta make sure that I'm fully aware to take care of these kids because I gotta find appearents. Zibiotics pre alcohol probiatic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking.
Speaker 2: Here's how it works.
Speaker 1: When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this byproduct, not dehydration that's to blame for rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this by product down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. We love zobiotics love the best I had it at the wedding. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: It makes you you just feel a little bit better the next day.
Speaker 5: There's one hundred percent money back guarantee. If you have not tried zbiotics yet, what is holding you back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's on the event? It's basically free.
Speaker 5: Try it, Try get a six pack or whatever. Try it one time when you have like two or three drinks one night. I guarantee you it will make you feel so much better the next day.
Speaker 1: Go to zebiotics dot com slash crookeet to learn more and get fifteen percent off you first order. When you use cricket to checkout. Zibiotics is back to one hundred percent money back guarantee, so if you were unsatisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money, no questions asked. Remember to head to zebiotics dot com slash cricket and use the code cricket to checkout for fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: Well, before we get too excited about what that midterm might look like, let's talk about what's going on on the Democratic side. Speaking speaking of inter party turmoil, we got some fresh drama brewing thanks to the good people of New York City who had quite a primary on Tuesday, a slate of three candidates endorsed by Zorn Mamdani won their Democratic primaries in deep blue House districts. In the seventh district, Democratic socialist Claire Valdez won the open seat over a pretty progressive opponent endorsed by the retiring Democratic member of Congress. In the tenth district, progressive City Comptroller Brad Lander defeated incumbent Dan Goldman in a race that was largely about Israel. Both men are Jewish. Lander ran as a self proclaimed liberal Zionist, but hit Goldman on voting against legislation to block military aid to Israel and taking money from pro Israel lobbying groups. And then the biggest upset of the night, in another race that was largely about Israel, four term Representative Adriano Espiat, head of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the first undocumented immigrant to serve in Congress, lost his Harlem Bronx district in an upset to a leftist community organizer named Daria Eliza Avila Chevalier, a Democratic socialist who also believes in abolishing prisons, police and all deportations. Now, there were plenty of other primaries in New York and elsewhere on Tuesday, where mainstream and moderate Democrats not only one but in some cases fended off more progressive challengers. But to give everyone a flavor of how the DSA victories are landing in the world of politics, here are reactions from James Carville, Zoron Mamdani and Hickeem Jeffries.
Speaker 6: And Everybody's always said, no, no, we're coalition. We're a big camp and there's some there's just some ship that I can't be in the same camp with. Let's negotiate to terms of ASCHUSM. Yeah, maybe we can, we can part under some kind of advantageous turns for both of us. But I'm done. I'm not in that political party.
Speaker 7: What is the Democratic Party if not its voters? And what we saw yesterday evening were Democrats across the city turning out and voting for a new kind of politics.
Speaker 6: You can't you can't think this is uh, this is a positive development in New York politics?
Speaker 2: Can you?
Speaker 3: And all they'll just you know, Dems will be Dems or something like that.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see how you can say that.
Speaker 8: You know, you need to reject.
Speaker 3: You need to reject those things, I think all.
Speaker 8: First of all, I've clearly rejected those things. That's number one, number two, and my record speaks for itself. This is not a DEMS will be DEM's uh situation. Donald Trump is the president of the United States of America right now, are you kidding me? I'm happy to talk about primary elections in one of the bluest cities in the country. At the end of the day, listen off, focus is going to be on ending this national nightmare in this country that America is suffering.
Speaker 2: Okay, your reaction to the results, and then we can do the reaction to the freak out. And I know you wrote a wonderful message box about this today, so thank you. Tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Sure, So let's just start with the elections themselves. No one should dismiss this. Like two incumbents losing election on the same night is a big deal. Since nineteen forty six, so from ninety six to twenty twenty four, more than ninety eight percent of incumbents have won renomination. Well in the House, so it is in the House. So it is like it is very rare for members of Congress who lose their primaries. Two losing on one night, one of them being the chair of the CHC, and then specifically losing to a political novel us with a I would say, a colorful history of online posts. But O, they just needm to be in vogue this cycle for Democrats like that, that's a big deal and we shouldn't dismiss it. It is a I would say the Lander Goldman race is a little different in the sense that Lander is a city wide elected official with high who ran from Ayre's high name id and the endorsement in full support of the very popular mayor democratic socialist mayor of the city. And in each of these races are a little different in what drove it. But I think the thing we should take away is, like so much else that's happening in this country, like this is happening when when progressive speed establishment candidates in the second District of Maine, in the California race, or in Vegas one Graham Plattner forcing uh forcing Janet Mills out of the race, like there's a giant warning sign for the democratic establishment here where the support of people like Schumer or even Akeem Jeffries. It's certainly not an asset in your campaign. It may be detriment. It is very clear that the groups on the left, Justice, Democrats, Democratics, Social so America, our Revolution are out organizing, out fundraising, out working, out maneuvering the traditional party institutions. Right. That is happening. They have captured the energy. They are being more creative, they'll be more strategic, they'll be more aggressive. And if you were someone in the democratic establishment, you should be deeply concerned about what this says about where the party is, what the standing of the party is, what the ability of the party infrastructure is to actually win elections. So this is a big deal. Now to a Keem Jeffrey's point, this is taking place in a city that Kamala Harris won by thirty eight points and what was a bad year for Democrats, right, particularly in a city like New York, and so this is a very very very democratic city. And all across the country you're seeing, yes, you're seeing progressive candidates win, and you're seeing progressive candidates lead, like Abdula said, in Michigan according to the most recent poles. But you're also seeing moderate candidates in Alaska, North Carolina. I don't know if it's fat to call shared Brown on moderate, but he's certainly not a democratic socialist. He's an economic populist. And you saw in New York, you know, just on that very same day, in like New York seventeen, one of the most important districts in the country for a democratic balus, you have a more moderate veteran candidate win district. That's a Mike Lawler, that's Kate Connolly who who won that primary. And so you're seeing it's like a there is a mixed picture, but there is in all the races, but there is true. It is very true that there is an antipathy throughut the establishment. We can talk about why that is. There is more energy on the left, and there is sort of greater tactical, strategic and organizational energy and success among the groups on the left.
Speaker 2: I think that's all right. I also think it's useful to sort of define what the freak out is about, because it's even more it's even narrower, I think than just like you know, there's there's some progressives winning in places and DSA places and moderate even just the three races we're talking about here from Tuesday, and we're talking about three races in three house races, and in one of those races, Clarvel does seems like a normal DSA candidate in the vein of an AOC or or a member of the squad right we talked about Brad Lander. Lander is basically like a standard Progressive Democrat.
Speaker 3: The staner in New York City Progressive demisape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but and also has said, like you know, after he won, was like, I want to go help frontline members who are out there, and I hope some of the moderates come help me. And I've helped moderates before, and so like, that's that's Brad Lander. Really. Here, the panic is over Darieliza of Vila Chevalier, and I will just say she might be the most left wing candidate to ever win a Democratic primary in our lifetime. There's been a lot of focus on her old tweets, which she has deleted and mostly apologized for. I'm fine with that. My general position is to give people a chance who want to take back something they said or posted. Certainly would love to take back things that I've posted. And I also think that like some of her tweets have been taken out of context and exaggerated. Here's where I have a problem. She has not apologized for attending an anti Israel rally on October eighth. October eighth, twenty twenty three, a rally that was condemned by Zoron Mumdani AOC and Brad Lander. We were just talking about who actually left the DSA because it promoted that rally where attendees chanted that Hamasa's resistance was justified the day after October seventh, the day after they slaughtered a thousand Israelis, And to this day she still defends attending that rally. The other problem I have she sat for an interview with the New York Editorial Board last week last week where she said she's against all deportations, She's for open borders because quote bordering is a very modern construct. Actually the borders are in our hearts and our minds. She wants to abolish prisons and refused to say when asked, she's got four different chances on this, refuse to say that a convicted murderer should be sentenced to any jail time at all, And they kept giving her another chance to like, are you sure, but what happens to the murderer that just convict it nothing. Now, maybe she turns over a new leaf in Congress and like her voting record doesn't match some of these more extreme positions. I hope so. But I think the reason I bring this up is because when Democrats get questions about this, I think the answer is easy and important to give, which is that she currently holds a range of views that go from maronic to abhorrent, and not only those views not aligned with most Democrats in the country, nearly all democrats in the country, all elected democrats, actually most elected Democratic socialists, But like, I don't even think they align with like a lot of the people who probably voted for her, And so like I think people should just you just got to say that, And I don't think you lump her. I think it. I think it does a disservice to the other progressives and the other even DSA members to pretend that she is part of this like there's new energy and it's great and whatever, and it's like no, no, no, no, no. It's one thing to have these views in the past and be like, you know what I've learned, I've grown what she said about summer for tweets, But to sit there a week ago and be like, yeah, no prisons, no borders, no police.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Also, who cares well?
Speaker 2: Like but I already see people doing the like you know, like, well, we gotta understand the energy. No, no, we gotta understand the energy with a lot of these candidates she is. That was a mistake and like mom, Donnie endorsing her also probably a mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you'll notice that when Berney Sanders did his congratulatory tweet afterwards, he congratulated Brad Lander and Clara Valdes.
Speaker 2: Oh he did, because Bernie's fucking smart. That's why.
Speaker 3: I mean, those are the two I those are two he specifically endorsed. But he did, he did two, not three. But also, she's one member of Congress, right right, this is the voter's picked in two years. Someone's gonna the opportunity to challenge her. Maybe of Congress and she's a productive member. Maybe she's not, doesn't But it's it's just.
Speaker 2: Like I think I'm not I'm not saying I'm not saying it's the end of the world. I'm saying that I actually think it's very easy here. Oh what I'm saying. What don't seem like if she is a She is about to be the biggest celebrity on the right of all times. She's going to She's already like starring on Fox in every fucking segment, and it's going to be like that forever. And you know what, most people when they hear her, there's tape of her saying all these things last week. When they hear that, they're gonna be like, this is fucking nuts. And then if they go to Democrats and be like, what do you think and Democrats are like, Ah, it's not a big deal. Everyone's freaking out over nothing, then you would not you would not blame the voter for being like, well, that's weird. Why wouldn't you just say it's crazy.
Speaker 3: The Republicans will try to make her a celebrity of face of the party. I think they're going to really struggle to pick an unelected member of Congress is to face of the party. When they have struggled to make AOC or Nancy Pelosi or someone else to face of the party, say they let's say, let's say it comes up like his come up, and to make an interview if you're a member running in a district. Frankly, but strictly a frontline member in a purple district or a redistrict. There's nothing, there's no greater gift than the opportunity to distance yourself from Yes party.
Speaker 2: So that's why I said that.
Speaker 3: I think yes, I like for sure, I think that they're the freak out. There's a couple let's try to like break like the freak out is. It's is not just about her. The freak out's about a few things that are sort of political and institutional. One of them is there's always this fear that Democrats are going to nominate candidates too liberal to win the general election. That is not a fear here, no, right, these are some of the most democratics the country. They're all going to Congress. So that's and that we are not seeing a situation where currently we'll see what you know, people are going to have an argument about Maine, about the main Senate, but that we have not as of yet. For the most part, we have not been the democratic voters, not the institutions, not the not the groups anyone, not the party apparatus. The voters are not picking candidates who may be too liberal to win. The two positive possible exceptions there are Randy Viegas, which is that Digital c picked a different candidate in that race, and then Matt Dumlup instead of Baldacci, the son of the former governor in Main second district. We probably were running the Main second district under any scenario, you need a very very good year for that. That's really like only that's.
Speaker 2: What it's Jared Golden had not retired, right, Jared Jared.
Speaker 3: Golden is like Joe Manchin.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The only person who could win that was probably Jared Golden. The other fear is that this is evidence of like an opera, a Tea Party like moment for the party, and there are it's it's I think it's a bad comparison because the Tea Party was a very specific thing in time that was about a very specific thing in time that it was largely it was a sort of astroturfed, corporate funded reaction to the election of a black president. The But they're like, what you are saying is the party base saying they are done with the establishment, they are done with the leadership. They created skepticism that leader. I think there's three reasons why that skepticism exists. One of it is and it's different in every race, and it's even different than in some of those races in New York. One is anger that the party has failed to send up to Trump yep. The second is that the party is to capture by corporate interests too, you know, unable, unwilling to too cowardly to take on on the interests and to advocate for working people right that are are they're not address peoples economic pain. And then the third reason is Israel and Gasa and that was obviously particularly prominent in the Land or gold Mit race where that was a primary point of distinction between the two of them.
Speaker 2: And that you like, and.
Speaker 3: You you see that in each of the like the knob, the dial turns to different to different levels in each different race around the country. Around those three things, the other question is is the party becoming moving dramatically to the left right? And I think that one is interesting because it is an incontrovertible fact that the party is more liberal than it was ten years ago, like when Obama ran for reelection. In the Gallup polling, forty two percent of Democrats consider themselves liberal or very liberal and thirty six percent considered themselves moderate. Today, North of fifty four percent consider themselves liberal very liberal, and thirty four percent consider themselves moderate. Now I can do a full podcast on how that number happens, because the moderate number stays the same and the liberal number goes up. And it's certainly not from conservatives becoming liberals. It's because the conservatives left the party and they're replaced by white college educated liberals who were former Republican voters.
Speaker 2: But like that is true, but in white college educated voters and just high educated, highly educated voters in general have just become more specifically become more liberal in their own view.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it has led to as the party has become less working class in its orient in its identity, and frankly its orientation. Cultural issues, social issues, climate change, democracy, immigration, crime, LGBTQ rights have risen in priority for the party, and that has made people identify as more liberal. But it is worth just remembering that the core part of any successful Democratic coalition is black voter, and black voters remain more moderate than the party. You see this in it is really fascinating Pew Political typology stide that came out last month. It is very clear that black and Latino voters and Asian voters are much more moderate or more moderate. That wasnting, much more modern, more moderate than the sort of this activist, more liberal democratic base, particularly particular crime and immigration, crime and immigration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the two.
Speaker 3: And then the other question is are Democrats becoming socialists? And this is also really interesting because you know, there is this Gallup poll that everyone fixates almost showed that sixty six percent of registered Democrats have a positive view of socialism. And then in the New York Times poll that we've talked at nauseum, about forty nine percent of Democrats have a Democrats and Democrat leaning independence. It's one sample have a favorable view of socialism. And interestingly enough, a plurality of every old age cohort, including Democrats over sixty five, have a favorable view of socialism. Now here's a pop question. You ask Caroline this on Polar Coaster, but can you guess which group has the highest favorability of socialism?
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Young men, Well, which age cohart it is? It's actually men thirty to forty four? Okay, thirty forty four us that's us, right, that's.
Speaker 2: No, it's not me anymore. If I come fortia, that's true.
Speaker 3: It was you you just moved in, But it's actually it's millennial. It's millennials more than younger by about nine points. Actually, it's interesting, which I think is coming of age in the Great Recession.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and it speaks to sort of the question that you're raising by these maybe surprising results to some people, which is, I do think it is more of a commentary on capitalism and the failures of capitalism at least how people have felt that in their own lives than a love of socialism or I think if you asked, then I haven't seen a poll that's done this, Like what do you think of when you think of socialism, They think of like Bernie Sanders and universal health care, not abolishing prisons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is not necessarily a a lot of socialists. Countries had a lot of prisons.
Speaker 2: Actually, yes, famously.
Speaker 3: So uh so someone and someone had gulags, you would say.
Speaker 2: And you know, and you know what, every country has borders. That's true, every single one.
Speaker 3: Both in their in their mind and in reality. So I was gonna say the socialising You hit on the key point here, which is it's I think it's more of an indictment of capitalism than socialism, And so I guess the question is if you're a democrat, like how do you react all of this? And like the device that I've I give, I've been giving cadis other people is one.
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 3: You have to find a way to separate yourselves from the established and everyone hates like you can't be a typical democrat, and you have to understand what makes people so mad about it and show that you have a solution to it or different from it. The second thing is you don't have to embrace socialism, but you sure is how better understand what is causing people to embrace socialism and speak to that economic pain. And you got to find a way to have some sort of energy and excitement and authenticity in your in your belief like what is like I think? What is I think powering? Some of these these not social sinssily, but some socialists, some DSA, some more progressive candidates. They are speaking with authenticity and conviction about issues, whether it's Abdual talking about medicare for all in Michigan, whether it's platin or talking about how the elite system has failed him and filed so many manners. It's how Zoron has talked about cost of living. It's like there's this authenticity and conviction to it that most of the people that you don't get from a lot of modern it's not all monitors or somebody to really do it, but it doesn't show up in the same way.
Speaker 2: I think there's another There's two more reasons that I think there's so much anger at the democratic establishment right now. One is we have said for a long time now since Iraq that people they don't want to spend money on endless foreign wars. They don't want to lose American lives and forever wars. They also don't want to spend a lot of money because they feel like we spent in their right, like billions and billions and trillions of dollars on Iraq and other foreign adventures that have not worked out. I think that is how most people who are upset with how Biden handled Gaza feel.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It is not Israel has no right to exist, It is why is our money being spent or being sent to bibing at Yahoo and the Israeli government who have just slaughtered thousands and thousands and thousands of people in Gaza and are now doing the same in Lebanon, and that feeling cuts across party ideology. It is not fucking horseshoe. It is not like the far left and the far right. Go sit in a focus group, go talk to most voters. Is a very common feeling, and the fact that people look at the Democratic establishment and don't feel like that they are on or they feel the same way, or they're acting the same way, is a huge fucking problem. You also said people are mad that the Democratic establishment hasn't stood up Trump enough. I also think Dave Weigel made this point today reported at Semaphore that they're still mad that the Democratic establishment fucking lost to Trump. Yeah again, like that is I know, we're all like we don't want to go back and look back at twenty four and all that kind of stuff, like we lost to Donald Trump for the second time after the guy was convicted of crimes and sent an insurrectionist mob to the capitol, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the people who were in charge there, people aren't going to feel too warm and fuzzy towards them, Like that is just that is that to me is looming over everything, Like, yes, there's the corporate stuff and the economic like all that is real money and politics establishment two. All of it's real for sure. But like if we had just beaten Donald Trump, then a lot of voters would not think that. And so that's that's going to be a big one too.
Speaker 5: Paz America is brought to you by Rocket Money. Thanks to the good people at Rocket Money, I realized that I had been upcharged by a streaming service for access to one show because it was a foreign thing that Hannah and I had watched during the pandemic one time, one episode of it, then abandoned it and then forgot to cancel it. When we're getting charged like ten bucks a month in perpetuity, that's why you all need Rocket Money.
Speaker 2: Here's what they do.
Speaker 5: They allow it attract subscriptions and cancel them within the app with just a few taps. In fact, Rocket Money is saved users over eight hundred and eighty million dollars and canceled subscriptions. You can categorize automatic transactions across your accounts and customize categories with tags to help shed light on your spending patterns. Get regular reports on your spending habits. You can even receive real time alerts for large transactions, upcoming bills, refunds, and low balances. Consolidate your checking, savings, loans, and investment accounts into a single dashboard to give you a clear picture of your finances. Rocket Money is a personal finance app that helps find and cancel unwanted subscriptions, monitors your spending, and helps lower your bills so you can grow your savings. Let rocket Money help you reach your financial goals faster. Join at rocket money dot com, slash crooked that's rocket money dot com, slash crooked rocket money dot com slash Crooked.
Speaker 1: Pods America's brought you by Fast Growing Trees. Fast Growing Trees is America's largest online nursery with thousands of trees and plants for every space and climate, and they make it easy to get plants that actually work for your yard delivered right to your door. Okay, we can sense your skeptism about ordering live vegetation on the internet, but.
Speaker 2: The proof is in the plants.
Speaker 1: Fast Growing Trees has ship plants down today, have shipping them down using a science. The proof is in the plant. The proof is in the planting and the plants a free punch up right. Proof is in the planting, right, pudding proof is in the pudding proof is in the planting famously, huh, and you'll be putting down so many beautiful plants. Every plant is handpicked, it's carefully inspected, and the packaging is designed specifically to keep them secure in transits so they don't get damage. They even have a lab where they test the best packaging materials to protect against cold, heat, humidity and more. And I'm glad they're there. But boy, you go on in a first state, it's like, what do you do for a living? I do packaging for plants. It's like, all right, this is gonna be a boring date, but I'm glad they're there doing good work doesn't mean it's not a good product. Just saying it's a boring dation. It's like I keep the plants humid in transit. It's like, oh my god, I gotta meet somebody. Your plants get there. They look amazing, like they get like they're local. But every order is back that they live and thrive guarantee, and so in the add chance you do have any issues with deliver, you're covered. I love fast growing trees plants. We got a bunch of them. In the office. They're amazing. They're amazing. They're secured in the box. They're healthy when they get here, soils in place, there's no mess. When the box are open, the trees are, the branches are bound. Then after a day they're un fit to their full glory. Great deals on spring planting essentials right now listeners get additional twenty percent off their first order with the code crooked at checkout. That's twenty percent off at Fast Growing trees dot com with code crooked at checkout terms of condition supply.
Speaker 2: So here's something fun. The primary season isn't over yet, and the Left is targeting a few other big races in places that aren't is Blue as in New York City. We talked about some of these, but in Colorado, Democratic socialist Melat Kiros is running against Congressman Diana Degett, though that's also a safe seat even though it's in Colorado. In Wisconsin, DSA State Rep. Francesca Hong is a running for governor in a crowded field that includes Lieutenant Governor Sarah Rodriguez and Mandela Barnes. And in Michigan, our pal Abdul lsa Ed is in a tight Senate primary with Mallory McMorrow and Representative Hayley Stevens. So does feel like there's a little more at stake in the Wisconsin and Michigan primaries? What is your read on those?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's very hard to play the prospective electability game, right. The argument here is among some, but I'm not making this argument that Hong and Abdul are less electable than other candidates on the ballot. And in Wisconsin there's already a movement one of the center left candidates is dropped out and endorsed Rodriguez, and is there's a movement to try to consolidate the field around Rodriguez. I honestly don't know enough about that race to know for sure that one candidate is more electable than the other. I know that's a very hard race, right. It's a very tough state. Winning a third term in a row is always challenging for governors. So you know that's gonna be a tough race. Michigan, the polling is, you know, Abdula is leading in the polls, Hilly Stevens is in second. The candidate that I have supported, Malol Morrow, is in third. There have been hypothetical tests against Mike Rogers, who is a very very good candidate. He lost by just I think about twenty four thousand votes. Soilicis sluckin in twenty four You know, the polling shows that we've seen shows maybe McMorrow and Stevens a couple points more, you know, doing better against Rogers than Abdul. I don't know what to make of that, whether that is real or not. It's not signific It's not a dramatic difference in that. So it's it's hard to say a Duelsbviously, a very very talented candidate, is very talented communicator. Would he be able to navigate the tax that will certainly come to him as a as a Bernie endorsed candidate, a Muslim candidate who will be attacked for his views on everything in his background. He certainly is talented enough to be able to navigate that. But I am not I can't look at those races and say, if we nominate that, you know, Hong or Abdul, we're certainly going to lose. Like it's it's not that, it's not that clear to me, and it's certainly no one has presented evidence to that fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. I mean, look, I'm and I'm supporting Abdul. His friend had a pot on crooked. But you know, I'll be honest like that, that is the race where and again because it's it's less about like I mean, it is about who these candidates are, but it's also very much about the environment in the state. And you know, even like Plattner is running in a state that is much much more democratic than Michigan. And I do think that if if a Bernie endorsed sort of more lefty candidate can pull it off in Michigan, I do think Abdul can do it. But I think it's gonna be tough, and like he's going to face all kinds of attacks, not just for his ideological position, but many unfair attacks, like you said, because he's he's musclim So I think that's gonna be that's gonna be challenged, I think. And then I think with Francesco Wong, same thing. And I don't I don't know her as well, but I saw it like she'd had you know, she'd had some past support for or advocated at one point like defund the police, and then last week, you know, she had a video that said there's no way I'm going to cut public safety, and that to me is like, Okay, this is the kind of like, yes, this is what you need to do to win these states. And like if you are a further left candidate in a state like Wisconsin, in a state like Michigan, I'm not saying like, just you know, change all of your fucking positions. You shouldn't do that, but you do have to run like you're running a general election in a purple state, which you are, and know where the voters are and know you know, I'm sure for Wang and for I know for a duel, like the most important issues make a care for all, healthcare, sort of economic populism, and I would imagine that they're going to emphasize those above all else and then have something to say on some of the attacks that they are going to come their way on crime and immigration and cultural issues. But I don't think that's going to be easy. But I do think like I saw that I saw what Wong had done about there's no way I'm going to cut public safety. In contrast to that with some of the stuff that we just talked about in New York City and I'm like, see that is that's the difference right there in Mamdani, Right, Mam Donnie campaigned, has all kinds of past positions, and he has increased the police budget since he's been mayor. And guess what, And he's done all of his other stuff that he talked about, right, the rent freeze, I believe is going into effect today. He's trying to do all the other stuff and he's wildly popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It is like there when we talked about some of the Tea Party comparison. Here is that in both the twenty ten and twenty twelve Senate racist the Republicans nominated a bunch of candidates in states they should have won, like Indiana, Missouri, Delaware in twenty ten, where Mike Castle would have walked into the Senate and instead they nominated Christin O'Donnell, who did not walk into the Senate.
Speaker 2: And nor does she fly in on her broomstick, not does she find her.
Speaker 3: Broomstick Deep County, and is a fifteen year old reference to a Senate race.
Speaker 2: Fifteen yeah, okay, sixteen, sixteen years.
Speaker 3: But one of the things the mistakes those candidates may it is they also ran terrible racist because they refuse to acknowledge the reality of the states in which they were running. Yes, and you can be a liberal candidate. You can be more liberal than the electorate and still win if you are running a smart, strategic race that does acknowledge the realities of what it takes to win in a state like Wisconsin or Michigan.
Speaker 2: It depends on which issues you're more liberal than the electrode on. That's a big way. We use like liberal, conservative, left, right as just like these catch all terms, But it really depends on what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, and it's not just issues. It's obviously things you've said, thinks you've done, who you are, your cultural connection to people. But yes, you can, like if you were a serious candidate, can win in the right environment running the right campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. So Tommy talked to Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan this week about their new Trump book, Regime Change. Go listen to that interview if you haven't already. It's great. But one of the more incredible anecdotes in the book is a dinner at the White House in October of last year where Trump asks Rupert Murdoch in front of Marco Rubio and JD. Vance, who were sitting at the table, which one he liked best and to rate both of them, and Murdoch reportedly said of Rubio, Marco is brilliant in seat of Vance, I think JD has the potential to be great. Vance apparently tried to laugh it off with the sarcastic line, Oh, thanks, thanks, Rupert, thanks a lot. Of course we hear at poadse of America. I think Murdoch and Trump and others are just being grossly unfair to our boy JD, who has continued to just oohs charisma during the press tour for his new book. Just As one example, check out this exchange with conservative columnist Ross Doutfitz at the New York Times.
Speaker 9: Let's be honest, the tone of the administration is not consistently a Christian tone. There is a tone of aggressive uncharity to people who aren't on board with the administration's policies.
Speaker 10: The tone argument is, in some ways, I think people see what they want to see. And I also think that tonal arguments are ways of frankly policing working class ways of communication and covering them in elite preferences.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think the tonal arguments are ways of policing working class ways of communication and covering them in elite preferences. Few things. First of all, you sound like the right wing version of a woke scold from academia who can't get off blue sky. That's what that sounded like. Two, I'm not sure how the Manhattan billionaire president calling Americans he doesn't like human scum is a working class way of communication. And I do think it's a bit insulting to working class Americans that jd Vance assumes that they all speak about their fellow Americans that way. I'm also not sure when I'm like, loving my neighbor and Christian charity became an elite preference as an elite preference now wild, just from top to bottom? Wild? Is that just me? I don't know. I couldn't. I couldn't believe that when I when I saw that.
Speaker 3: I would say, you did say say to us in our production meeting today that you could do a whole podcast on this topic.
Speaker 2: I think it was like the last time I tweeted. Actually, I mean, I've been like retweeting things here and there, but the last time I really tweeted was a week ago, and because I've been trying not to tweet that much, but I saw that and I just, first of all, I couldn't stop laughing, and then I listened to the whole interview because with Ross, which is which was fun, which was a real journey.
Speaker 3: I think people should know that you had a day to yourself in Chicago, a beautiful summer day in Chicago, but you were by yourself. You could have done anything in the world.
Speaker 2: And what I did, and it was a beautiful day. And I walked down by the lake and I walked all the way to Lincoln Park where we used to live, and I had a great day. But while I was walking, I was listening times with Ross Doutfit and Jdvan JD Vance. Good for you.
Speaker 3: Look, I very much agree with you here. It is like using the term tone policing is just perfect. But like the the bigger point with this is and it says something about Jada Vance, which that Jady Vance came from a working class background. Like his story is very famous, but what he and it is a you know, as told in his book and the Netflix movie of which he was a producer, made of his life story tells you is that he picked himself up by his bootstraps, went to an Ivy league college, went to the military, became quite successful, became a venture capitalist seen in manator, all the things that all the all the checklists on the MAGA resume that you need Hollywood producer, venture capitalist and Hollywood producer or CNN commentator, all the above, and became an elite. Like that's his story. The story is someone who was raised in this incredible, difficult scenario involving drug addiction and poverty and rises to the most elite pinnacles of American society, becomes the Vice pros United States. But what he has taken from that is that is he's become elite, and he looks down his nose at everyone else, because this is the he tries to in the Trump era, not the pre Trump era, but the in his post Trump's not really no longer hitler, I show work for him and serve him era. He tries to put on the close of an anti elitist, but he is not. He is a pure elitist. And there is nothing more elitist than saying that that basically telling someone not to be a dick to their fellow citizens. Is anti working class.
Speaker 2: Look when Trump goes out there and you know, and Rob Briner dies and he celebrates with the truth social post, or celebrates that Bob Muller dies with the true social post. That's just what working class people do. You know they're doing to the diner at the bar. That's just how they talk. And the reason he knows that is because he serves a working class president. Donald Trump, Donald J. Trump cares about the working people, is of the working people, and that's just that's how he talks. That's how working class people talk.
Speaker 3: When the working class president fires off an offensive truth from the gold toilet upon which he's sitting, that is working class talk.
Speaker 2: When yeah, when he says, look we just can't afford childcare, we can't afford to give people child care. But also check out my ballroom and look at the gold, look at the gold everywhere. That's again, I had a nickel for every time a working class person said that I wouldn't be class, I'd be as jd Vance amazing ross douthit like he looked like he wanted to laugh too, which.
Speaker 3: Is the first time that's ever happened in ross A truly humorless man.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for Ross because he had to he cram. The problem with that interview is he had to cram too many topics in because Jade Events only gave him aertain amount of time, and so there was so many crazy things that Jadvan said that you could tell that Death wanted to follow up on, and he just had to. He moved on to the next thing, and I was like, you should have. I would have just I would have asked him about that sentence.
Speaker 3: Maybe you would have done a whole poty JD. Vance, come on offline.
Speaker 2: Religion, all the other stuff. I would have just given up and I would have been like, let's talk about the tonal arguments and the tone policing. We don't want to be tone policing anyway. One more of these from JD Evans. There was another very human, very authentic Vance moment this week that also got a lot of attention. Apparently, Usha Vance hosts a YouTube series called Storytime with the Second Lady where she and a guest read to kids. Very nice and this week's special guest was JD who is allegedly her husband. Let's see how it went. Today's special reader is my husband, Vice President of the United States, Jadie Vance, thanks for joining us today, honey. Of course, good to see you. Now. If you're just listening to this, pause it, go to the YouTube BAP on your phone, go to Potze of America YouTube or your laptop get to the nearest YouTube app you can get to and watch this. Because what he does there is he says good to see you, and then reaches awkwardly across and gives her two fatherly pats on the knee, very light pats on the knee, just light pats, pulls the hand back, and then they just sit and stare at each other. Is that how you and Howy greet each other after a long day apart?
Speaker 3: Dan, I will say that if you can't look, it's hard to be a public figure, right. Glare of the spotlight is intense. But if there's one moment where you could possibly be yourself, it would be sitting with your wife. And he is incapable of doing that. Like it honestly seems like they have never met each.
Speaker 2: Other, like you. Also, it's not like he had to like give her a big kiss or like he could have just done nothing. He didn't have to tap her knee like.
Speaker 3: What it's like you can see it, like it looked like he was about to.
Speaker 2: To be like, looks like you got a bun in the oven there, like it was.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's just it's I mean, I just it's like the first meeting between a man who's never had a date before and a mail order bride. It's just so.
Speaker 2: I just don't Also, he also like, I hope everyone realizes that they could They could have edited that right, They could have done another take, They could have cut that part out. It wasn't a live performance, it was it was a White House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does make you wonder, are there is somewhere on the cutting room floor of the White House. Are there nine knee pats that were less affectionate than that one?
Speaker 2: Did he perhaps like high five her for the first time? Yeah, nice to see you. I'm JD Wow. Anyway, watch out Mark ur Rubio.
Speaker 3: As I would say, he's got the potential to be He certainly does.
Speaker 2: He certainly does that potential. It's there somewhere. We have not seen it yet that neither has Rupert, but it's there. Okay, when we come back, I'll talk to the Democratic candidate for Governor of Texas, Gina Inojosa. Pods of America is brought to you by Sundays. If you've ever had a dog who's picky when it comes to food, we do you know how surprisingly stressful it can be. You'll try every brand under the sun in the hopes that your dog will finally find the one they like. But maybe the answer is simply that your dog knows the difference between processed brown pellets and real food. Sundays for dogs is different. They start with over eighty percent all natural meats and then finish with superfoods like kale, ginger, blueberries. All of the ingredients are gently air dried instead of using high heat. Sundays doesn't look or smell like traditional store bought dog food. It looks like high quality jerky, the kind humans would eat. No fillers, no nutritional blends, no chemicals, just simple, complete nutrition. Founded by doctor Tory Waxman, Sundays was created to meet her high standards as a veterinarian and as a dog parent. And the best part, Sundays requires no fridge, no freezer, no prep, no mess. You get the quality of a home cooked meal with a scoop and serve ease of kibble. It's what dog food should have been all along. Our dog, Leo, can definitely tell the difference between real food and dog food because he really likes the real food and is always trying to get it off the table. But now that he has Sundays, he is very excited. Every time he eats. We pour it into the bowl, he runs to the bowl and it's easy to store. It doesn't smell bad like some of the other dog food, and we love it. Make the switch to Sundays. Go right now to Sundays fordogs dot com, slash crooked fifty and get fifty percent off your first order. Or you can use code crooked fifty at checkout. That's fifty percent off your first order at sundaysfodogs dot com slash crooked fifty, Sundays fordogs dot com slash crooked fifty, or use code crooked fifty at checkout. Gina Inajosa, Welcome to pot Save America.
Speaker 11: It's great to be with you.
Speaker 2: So there's been plenty of national focus on the Texas Senate race between James Tillerico and Ken Paxson. There's been less attention paid to the gubernatorial race that you're running against three term incumbent Greg Abbott, who's running for a record fourth term as governor. We'll get to him in a minute. But for all the people listening who are meeting you for the first time, who are you and what made you get into the race?
Speaker 12: Yes, so I am running for governor of Texas because what I see in twenty twenty six is that everything is on the line, and this is perhaps our last best chance to say what we hold dear in Texas and in this country, and to explain. I grew up on the border with Mexico. I grew up in the Rial Grand Valley in Brownsville, Texas, and I was raised on the promise of the American dream. There we used to cross back and forth between Texas and Mexico all the time back then, and I remember as a little girl being struck by the extreme poverty I witnessed Mexico. And I remember asking my dad why, why when we crossed into Mexico are there beggars?
Speaker 11: I said, beggars.
Speaker 12: We didn't have homelessness then, we didn't have a word for it, I said, beggars. And then when we crossed back into Texas, there are none. I'll never forget, my dad said, because in Mexico they have the rich and then they have the poor, and they don't have much in between. And in America we have a strong middle class. And he was talking about the American dream, and working Texans right now are struggling to achieve the American dream in a big way.
Speaker 11: It is why I'm running for office. It happened to me.
Speaker 12: I never meant to run for anything. I made my husband promised. I've never run for office before we got married. But they try to shut down my son's school, so I ran for the school board. One that fight for schools took me to the Texas House. And what I see in the Texas House is the reason our schools are shutting down. The reason we are struggling so much is because we are paying into a system that is working against us. It is one big grift. It is policy that is driven by money special interests, and I refer to it as the Greg Abbot corruption tax. We pay more, we get less because we are all paying the Greg Abbot corruption tax. And now we have over one hundred schools shutting down in Texas. We have over one hundred and fifty school districts operating at four days a week, whole school districts because they can't afford to operate at five days a week. We have the most people being disconnected from their electricity of any other state. We have the most uninsured of any other state. We have the most uninsured children of any state. We have the most bankruptcies. We have the first major American city in Corpus Christi, to potentially run out of water, despite the fact we are paying about seventy five percent more in property taxes under Greg Abbott. That is Greg Abbot's record, and he owns it, and that's why I'm running. I have a plan to save Texas schools and to put money in your pocket. And I think it's important that people understand, Yes, we fight for our public schools because of our kids and our community, but we fight for public schools because there can be no American dream without strong public schools. Because public schools provide the opportunity, the gateway for the American dream. And of course, if we can't afford to live and thrive in Texas, where we live, then there can be no American dream. When I was a little girl, Texas was the American Dream manifest right, But that is why I'm running. We have to fight to win back the American dream.
Speaker 2: So you're no stranger to politics, even though you didn't think you would run. You've served in the Texas House, and I believe your father, who you mentioned, was a chair of the Democratic Party in Texas for about a decade. What did you learn from him about politics and the state of the Democratic Party in Texas.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Well, to be clear, the number one lesson I learned was that I did not want that life for myself.
Speaker 2: Interesting how come because.
Speaker 12: My dad belonged to the world and not to me, and I want it acquired our simpler life.
Speaker 11: I'm a lawyer. I had a small practice. I thought that's what I would do.
Speaker 12: It would be the best at my small practice, and that is why I made my husband promise to never run for office. But life had other plans. So that's what I mostly learned. But I will tell you that it is in the Texas House where I have learned that really there's so much noise, but there is one fight, and that fight is the fight of twenty twenty six in this country, in the state, and it is are we going to be a state that is by and for the people, or are we living in the billionaire world and we're just here?
Speaker 11: That is the fight. That is the fight.
Speaker 12: That is behind why schools are closing. That is the fight behind why we can't afford to pay things. That's the fight behind why Corpus Christy is running out of water.
Speaker 11: That is the fight.
Speaker 2: Speaking of billionaires and money in politics, the manure running against is sitting on more than one hundred million dollars. Recent poll had about a third of Texas voters saying they don't know enough about you to have an opinion. How do you introduce yourself to a state as big as Texas, when, especially when the governor, the current governor, has so much money to run his own ads and campaign.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you're right, Texas is giant. Running for governor of Texas is like running for president. Right, We're doing things differently. We've divided the state up into seven regions, running like full congressional campaigns in each of those regions because we are such a big and diverse state. What the polling shows is that since the end of last year, my name Idea has gone up twenty points. We went from nine points down to five points down. As that's happened, and so as people get to know who I am, there with me and people want change. What I am seeing across the state, what elections are showing in Texas, what polling is showing, is that there is this anti incumbency energy in Texas right now, and Greg Abbott offers more of the same. And his problem, even though he has all that money in his campaign account, is that you use money to tell people who you are and what you're about.
Speaker 11: And that's his problem. People know who he is and what he is about, and they don't want it anymore. They want change.
Speaker 12: The number one response I get from people when I say I'm running for governor against Greg Abbott he can run again?
Speaker 11: Like really there were term limits?
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm sure there's plenty to say about him and his record. What is the one specific thing he's done that you would point to if a voter, because you'll probably need some of these voters, right people who voted for Greg Gabbott three times. Now you have a three time Abbot voter who's at least open to a different choice this time, but isn't sure. What's the one thing you'd say about what Greg Abbott has done to persuade that person.
Speaker 12: He's given a billion dollars in no bid contracts to his donors. He's the most corrupt governor in Texas history. We im not saying something. We've never had this level of corruption, but every major challenge in Texas is about follow the money right back to Greg Abbott's donors.
Speaker 2: So it's common for challenges to say the incumbent has corrupt worked for billionaires. Vetos at a version of this about Abbott in twenty twenty two. Lupe Valdez said it in eighteen. Both still lost by single to double digits. Why do you think this will land in twenty twenty six where it hasn't worked as well before.
Speaker 12: What we are seeing is that it is already landing in Texas. And twenty eighteen, you reference, that was the closest we've come in a long time to potentially flipping a seat statewide in Texas. That's when Betha ran against Ted Cruz. Right, that's the last time we had points right, That's right, that's the last time we had a midterm election with Trump in the White House, right, and Democrats swept. We picked up twelve seats in the Texas House. We flipped all of Harris County Houston, so Democrats swept in a big way. We were not ready, right, maybe we could have flipped the whole Texas House.
Speaker 11: Had we been ready.
Speaker 12: We are ready in twenty twenty six, and so for the first time, we have Democrats running in every congressional seat, every state house, state Senate seat, and already we have seen dramatic improvement in our performance. So Democrats overperformed Republicans in the primary that rarely happens in Texas. I had eight opponents in my primary and still I got twice as many votes as Bethy got in twenty eighteen because people are doing the work for change. And twenty eighteen is different because we have two strong candidates at the top of the ticket. Betho was pretty much the only one who could raise real money in twenty eighteen and took on all the arrows, took on the entire campaign. It's different this time around. What we've yet to see, though. The thing that is to be determined is are people going to believe what they see with their own eyes in Texas where we're winning Terran County, Terran County for instance, that was the most Republican county in the whole United States of America. We flipped a state Senate seat, swung it thirty one points to elect Taylor Ramett. Steve Bannon embedded himself in Arrant County before that happened and said, right off the bat, I'm here because as goes Terran County.
Speaker 11: So goes Texas, so goes the nation. Well we want it, and it's not just Terran County.
Speaker 12: It happened in Seyfer, it happened in Arlington, it happened in Leander, it happened in Denton, Proland. It is happening all over Texas. And what we are seeing in twenty twenty six is people just want change.
Speaker 2: Education is a signature issue for you. You mentioned one hundred plus schools are closing, one hundred and fifty plus districts have gone to four day weeks. For someone outside Texas, what is actually happening to the public schools right now? And what did Abbot do to cause it?
Speaker 12: So what I see in the Texas House, I sit on the Public Education Committee with James Sarrico. We co chaired the effort to fight vouchers in twenty twenty three and we beat Greg Abbott.
Speaker 11: Then we had rural.
Speaker 12: Republicans join with us to defend public schools and vote against vouchers. Greg Abbott took out those Republicans who voted with us in their primaries by putting a million dollars in against each of them in their primaries, and so then he.
Speaker 11: Got the votes and we passed it. Voucher's last year.
Speaker 12: Vouchers is an example of what has happened to our public schools in Texas. It is just vendor contract after vendor contract to somebody who is connected to Greg Abbott, and that is where our money for our public schools is going. So Greg Abbott received twelve million dollars, the largest campaign contribution in all of Texas history, from an out of state billionaire Jeff Yaz, who has a financial interest in vouchers. Right, that is the kind of grift and corruption that people are feeling in a real way. And so those alliances I made across the aisle with Maga moms, with football coaches and rural communities with superintendent's principles, People who love their public schools are angry in a big way at Greg Abbott for what he's done to our public schools, and I believe that that will be the difference.
Speaker 11: In this election.
Speaker 12: People see this as our last best chance to save public schools in Texas.
Speaker 2: Education used to be an issue that Democrats talked about every campaign cycle, all the time. I feel like, in general, the party has been fairly quiet about it recently. I've heard you talk about it now, Rob Emmanuel has been talking about it recently. But in general, why do you think the Democratic Party has sort of shied away from focusing on education And what do you see as a positive vision in public education and education in general for both Texas and the country to take.
Speaker 12: We've just gotten lost in all of really a lot of high tech solutions to education that have not worked in Texas. It's happened in a big way now they're trying to push in Houston, Texas. Greg took over Houston ID and trying to put in one hundred AI schools in Houston with this idea that we don't need teachers, we need education guides, and so it's just a way for them to make money off of our public school dollars. So I'm proposing a back to basics approach where we pay teachers their worth and it doesn't feel sexy. Right back to basics, pay teachers their worth, novel concept. It doesn't happen because it Nobody makes money off of it but teachers, right. Billionaires don't make money off of it. And I think in lots of ways Democrats have moved away from just the basics. Again, it's the American dream. How can you have the American dream without strong public schools. Public schools tell every child you can be anything you want to be if you put in the work. How are we letting it happen? That are public schools And it's not just Texas, but it's in Texas in a big, big way. Are dying on the buye In Texas. There is a unique kind of pride. Texas public schools are Friday night lights. They are enshrined in our Texas constitution. They made us who we are. People have big pride in public schools in Texas, and I think that is why it is resonating in a way that there is a possessiveness and an understanding that this is a part of who we are, and people are ready to fight for their public schools.
Speaker 2: What do you do about low performing public schools and low performing teachers.
Speaker 12: It's never the right answer to take power away from parents in community when our public schools are struggling. I do think we need a back to basics approach money in the classroom. We have had a teacher exodus in Texas. We have for the first time Texas is hiring more uncertified teachers than certified teachers, but a lot. We now have teachers who have no college degree being hired in Texas. I have a neighboring school district. Their number one source of new hires is out of the country because they can't find people to work for what we pay who have the experience.
Speaker 11: We all know. It's again not rocket science.
Speaker 12: The best thing we can do for a child's education is put a great teacher in the classroom, and we have steered so far away from what we know works. So again, it's a back to basics approach making sure we have great educators in the classroom.
Speaker 2: Looking at the pull, some of your strongest numbers are with Latino voters. Some polls have you up in nearly twenty points Trump. Of course, Carrie Latinas Texas. In twenty twenty four, you've said the Latino vote can be the difference if we choose to be what does choose to be mean? And what has the party gotten wrong over the last several years decade. It's seeing sort of Latino voters either drift away from the Democratic Party or, you know, in the case of twenty twenty four, toward the Republican Party.
Speaker 12: I think we have taken our eye off the prize of what are we fighting for again? I think there is one fight. It is the fight about whether it is a country estate that is buying for the people. That is the fight for the American dream. They are one in the same, and I think we get distracted by culture wars and social issues.
Speaker 11: We take the bait all the time, and I get it.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 12: It is infuriating things that Republicans do and say to different groups that consist of our coalition. But when we're fighting about those things, we are not talking about the thing that impacts all of us, and that is can.
Speaker 11: You afford to live and thrive in Texas? And that has to be the fight.
Speaker 12: So the Latino vote is hugely important to your point, You're right, absolutely. In twenty eighteen, they got sixty four percent of the Latino vote again the closest we've come in a long long time to winning as Democrats. When I get sixty four percent of the Latino vote, I win because there are more of us in the voting population than there were then. To give you a sense of where Latinos are in Texas, in twenty twenty six, Taylor Romett, who flipped that state Senate seat, cut seventy nine percent of the Latino vote in his election. All right, that is the potential. Of course, we're taking nothing for granted. I am heavily focused on engaging the Latino vote in this election, and if we choose to be is if Latinos will show up. We have seen this year that Latinos are showing up, and we need Latinos to show up in a big way in November.
Speaker 2: I think one challenge Democrats have had over the last decade is sort of assuming that for Latino voters immigration is the top issue, when, as you said, the economy affordability is still number one, just as it is with non Latino voters. That said, Trump has decided to make immigration central to his second administration even more than it was in the first. I think that personally, what I've seen from Democrats over the last decade is fear around the issue of immigration. And so when you ask Democrats about immigration, people either say, Okay, we need a strong border for sure, but what Trump's doing with ice is horrific and wrong. And that's about as far as it goes. Yeah, at some point will be in power again, hopefully, so hopefully you'll be governor. What is a positive vision for immigration that you think can rally the country behind the Democratic Party that recognizes is my old boss, Barack Obama would always say that we're in a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants, right.
Speaker 11: I think we have to stress that we're for border security. We all want that.
Speaker 12: I grew up on the of course I want border security, and what is happening right now is not that. And the district attorney in Harris County will say he has child sex abuse cases that he cannot prosecute because the witnesses have been detained or deported or too afraid to come forward. That makes us less safe, not more safe. And here's the other thing. The other thing is that it's hard to be generous to immigrants when Americans are struggling themselves so much it is hard to be generous with the American dream when people feel like it's out of reach for themselves.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 12: I think it's a classic example of the you know, put your oxygen mask on first and then help others in need. We have to recognize that Americans working, Americans working Texans are not making it. We need to make sure they get the oxygen mask first, and that we message and we work to liver for Americans first, really for Texans first, that we're doing everything we can to address again the one fight, the one fight. Is this going to be a country and a state for us or for moneyed interests.
Speaker 2: Do you think we need to revamp our asylum loss?
Speaker 12: Sounds like it, yes, yeah, yeah, And can I give you an example. So Biden's last the December before his last year in office, Remember we had the caravans at the border.
Speaker 11: It was chaotic.
Speaker 12: People in Texas were angry, and I got a call. I was chair of the campaign committee for the Texas House at the time. I got a call from my member at Eagle Pass, who was a frontline member, and he said, Gina, they have shut down the border to Eagle Pass in Mexico. This was the week before Christmas to all commerce. It is killing our local businesses. We are going to lose. And I said, okay, let me see what I can do. So I called the Biden administration and I said, we need an emergency meeting. Within forty eight hours, we had their top border officials on the phone. I had my border members on the phone, and the Biden officials heard an earful about how this is not working.
Speaker 11: Something needs to change.
Speaker 12: That next week, the Biden administration sent delegates over to negotiate enforcement on the Mexican side. And what you will see in the numbers is that crossings plummeted when that happened. We need when it comes to immigration, like common sense solutions. I think that there is no question that Biden avoided the issue and did not deal with it until it was out of control. And we need to make sure that we have people in office who stopped playing politics with immigration and just work on real solutions.
Speaker 2: I unfortunately have to ask you about the screwworm, which I had never heard of until a week or so ago. For listeners, the New World screwworm is a flesh eating parasite that infests livestock. It was eradicated from the US sixty years ago, but now it's back in Texas cattle for the first time. Two things, how bad is this for Texas? And also the reporting is that all the cuts from Trump and Doge slowed the federal response. Has Abbot said one word criticizing the administration that hamstrung him and Texas? And if not, what does that tell you?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that Abbot is weak governor. We have a governor who understood years ago that the screwworm was coming. It is in Texas now. It is going to be very hard to eradicate. It is spreading in Texas. Now that it is here, We're looking at disastrous consequences. And I don't think it's just for Texans, but yes, for Texas ranchers for the price of beef. That we have a governor who either didn't care enough or didn't have this way the juice with the administration and a Secretary of Agriculture from Texas under the administration to say, hey, I understand you're doging all this other stuff, save this. This is important and we need to make sure we're doing what we need to do. Is a failure on Abbot's part. I lay this on the lap of Abbot that he could not communicate with a Trump administration, the urgency of making sure we had a solution before it was too late, and hearing it. We are now with screwworm in Texas and spreading.
Speaker 2: So there are last questions. There are just so many very important, very competitive House and Senate races this year that could decide control of Congress. There are other gubernatorial races that at least on paper, seem closer, more competitive even than yours. For people who are looking to donate their time and their money to midterm races this year, why should they choose yours?
Speaker 12: Is the fate of the Union depends on Texas in twenty twenty six. After the US Supreme Court decision on redistricting that gutted the Voting Rights Act, there are now no rules and what will happen in Texas because Republican leaders have already said they're going to draw new lines next year, we lose five Democrats in Congress under a new map with no rules. That's on top of what the Brennan Center predicts will happen at the end of the decade through census, which is four years away. That Texas will gain four to five more congressional seats because we're growing faster than all the other states. We take from blue states those congressional seats. If Republicans control that, that's another four to five seats that Democrats lose in Congress. That's ten seats in Congress that Democrats that are off the table for Democrats.
Speaker 11: The governor of Texas controls ten percent of Congress.
Speaker 12: We need a governor in Texas who will veto their rigged maps. This is the most important governor's race in the whole country for that reason.
Speaker 2: Gene and Rosa, thank you so much for joining Pots Save America. Good luck out there. Everyone always says Texas did Democrats are dreaming of Texas again, And I same thing as you said, Like, at some point we have to win Texas because Congress, the maps, but also electoral college. Like right, also, as the Midwestern states start getting a little redder, we've got to make up for it somewhere. Texas is just too big.
Speaker 12: Right, Well, for at some point congressional seats equate to electoral votes. So right, if there's no way to win Congress, then there's no way to win the White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thanks for you doing. Good luck out there. Yeah, talk to you soon.
Speaker 11: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's our show for today. Thanks to Gina you know Hosa for coming on. Dan will be back in the feed on Sunday with a conversation with strict scrutinies Leihlitman. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 3: Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Pozive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groate, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cant, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avieve, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East