Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Nicole, as we start a Tuesday night edition of Nightside. Step in a little bit of a technical issue here, which I'm sure we will be able to clear up at some point, but welcome on in everybody. Nonetheless, we fly this plane on whatever number of engines we have at any given time. Let me tell you, welcome everybody. My name's Dan Ray, as Nicole indicated, the host of the program, and Rob Brooks is back in the control room at Broadcast Central, all set to begin our conversation tonight. I will tell you that later on this evening we are going to talk about the effort to put offshore wind off the coast of New England. We're going to be talking with Dustin Delano of the New England Fisherman Stewart Steward Ship Association. That's at nine o'clock. And then later on tonight we'll talk about tackling the Thanksgiving Turkey dinner and the conversations that may or may not occur around the family gathering, the annual family gathering. I think we can try. I think we can try to have decent conversations with each other. Call me an optimist, but we'll try. First off, we're going to have a great conversation with a gentleman by the name of Charles Row. This was suggested to me by one of our listeners in South Carolina. Pete in South Carolina said, have you ever done anything on Lionel trains? And we haven't, so, of course we're approaching the Hanukah and the Christmas season and many people are train officionados, and I'm told that Charles Row, of a company right here in Massachusetts, is really ground zero for Lionel trains and people who are interested in that. Charles, welcome to night, said how are you, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm very good, Thank you Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So all of us, all us vintage, remember lilying on the trains as we were kids, and have they gone out of style or it sounds to me based upon with my pal Pete in South Carolina tells me there's still a lot of people who love the idea of a train set, an actual train set that's different from some of the stuff that we see, the plastic sets or the wooden sets. These are trains that actually run on tracks. And I looked at your website tonight. It's an amazing it's an amazing experience. It brought me back to Christmases of long time ago. Tell us about it.
Speaker 3: You know, Christmas, you know, the tradition of Christmas is always about a train. I mean, people have trains around the trees for many, many years, and it's still popular today. I mean, what more could you see. You walk into a room and you see the beautiful Christmas tree and you see a train running around it. It just brings everything to life. And it's been like that for years, and there's many, many, many people who still put the trains around the tree. Line now sells thousands of train sets every year, so it keeps going and going, you know, since since we were kids.
Speaker 2: So how is it possible for someone who wants to rekindle that spirit and that joy that trains seem to bring. I mean, describe the train. A lot of people think about trains and they got little wooden trains which are lovely, or plastic trains or whatever. But these are real. They look like trains. They're they're there, there's made of steel, they're heavy, they run on tracks, they have whistles. Just explain to the audience who's never seen a Lionel train exactly.
Speaker 3: What it like, what it sees when we when we were kids many years ago, a lot of kids had trains that would you know, they run like you say, they run on tracks. You plug them into the wall and they go around on tracks. Like years ago. Today's trains are more modern. They make a lot more noise, better smoke, there's a lot more for the kids that there's even a little hand controlled that they can use to control the trains. There's you can run them from your iPhone now. So they've made great you know, they've kept up with technology. You know, when we were kids, we would just turn to trans farmer on or go around the train and we get all excited. And the smell of the smoke, now they got smoked that smells like pine trees and trains run around and talking and you know, all aboard the train, says the kids get all excited. And of course you have Pole Express the great movie, and they Lionel makes a Pole Express train. So that's the most part. That's how most popular set.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so the question that I have and you can you can be you in general, don't give me a specific answer, but how much of an investment? And look, if they go to your website, they'll see these magnificent trains. You must have mounted some sort of a camera on the front of the train so it shows it from the perspective of the train going through tunnels and pass trees, and you know, just it's it's it's it allows your imagination to run wild. But how much does a family have to spend to you know, sort of get a good starter. You know, you're not going to get the first you know, they're not going to build in their basement or or in wherever a magnificent set like you that you have. But what are you talking about in terms of a financial commitment to start.
Speaker 3: Three or four hundred dollars you can buy a beautiful Lionel set or the last years it's just like when yeah, it's awesome, it's it's really a bogain. I mean, I think to spend that kind of money and have a tradition that you can run for many years, I think I think it's a good deal.
Speaker 2: Now folks have to have is it advisable to have them on a table so that you know, a sturdy, solid table. You know, maybe with a green tablecloth or something like that, or can you just also just put them on the floor and let them run on the carpets. I mean, you know, you you have to have the tracks, but I assume that they're better on a table and a solid uh sound no line.
Speaker 3: Linel's gone to what they call fast track and it snaps together so it's sturdy, it stays together. You could put on a hot wood floor. You could put it on a carpet and stay together when you when you put when you put on a table or something, that's well for the hobbyist, you know, that's like.
Speaker 2: Face, that's maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe your child's interested in the trains. So okay, you know what I'm gonna put in the board. I'm gonna put out in the garage or down the basement. We'll do a little four by eight. We could put some mountains and you know, think some gates that go up and down and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, So the more complicated that you that you want to make it, you can make it. Okay, Where are you guys located? Whereabouts in You're in Massachusetts right, we're.
Speaker 3: In We're in Maldon, four miles north of Boston.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know Maledon apps absolutely and you you have the retail store in Maldon as well. I mean, or do they do it now? Now?
Speaker 3: We have a we have a we have a retail store where people can come in. We have our operating layout which is sixteen by thirty two, runs six trains at once and multiple size of size of trains. Or they can do mail order. We could ship it to them. They'll they'll have it within a reasonable amount of time, you know, a couple of days, three or four.
Speaker 2: Days, so well in time for Christmas. Okay, absolutely, Look how many how many how long you've been in business?
Speaker 3: Fifty two years? It's nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: Fifty two years, and you probably over that time have sold Do you just sell Lionel trains or there are other competitive trains? I always think of Lionel. Are there other.
Speaker 3: Products all Linel? Yes, Lionel is the big name and trains, of course, because they've been around for one hundred and twenty five years, the one hundred and twenty fifth anniversary coming up this year. But we do sell h O which is a smaller trains, or we do the train that got what they call Godden Train g Skill, which is even bigger than Lionel, and we also manufacture that also inside our facility. Plus we manufactured in China also.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll leave that aside selling China. If you want to do the man, I'd rather have your manufacturer here, Charles Row looks. I appreciate your call very much. Uh and I hope that some of our listeners will go to you whiz give us the website so that people might want to maybe that some people don't even know what we're talking about. But what's the website? Charles?
Speaker 3: W w W don't need that.
Speaker 2: Anymore, Charles, You never need the everybody's go ahead, Charles, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Charles, Charles Row, and that's r row dot com.
Speaker 2: They couldn't be they couldn't be easier. I knew that wasn't what it was, but I wanted you to say it, Charles Row.
Speaker 3: And Row is our row, simple.
Speaker 2: Yep, I got it. Yeah, believe me. You know that's fine. That works great, Charles, Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: All right, we help. We hope to see you in the store in a few days.
Speaker 2: You might not be surprised if I was in the store in a few days. Trust me, I have a coming in Okay, well, I sure will. Child's pleasure to pleasure to talk with you. And again a big shout out to your your customer and and our listener Pete in South Carolina, Pete D as we call him in South Carolina.
Speaker 4: Thanks John having me on having you have a good evening.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thank you. All right, I enjoyed that. That was fun. When we get back, we're I talk about something not so much fun, and that is why has the US gotten so dry so fast? And what could reverse it. We're gonna be talking with a Washington Post meteorologist who tonight joins us from off All Places, New Zealand. We'll get to that part of the story and the big story and other topics coming up. We're gonna talk about World's AIDS Day, which is coming up on December first, and also of course the big travel day in advance of Thanksgiving, with a Jillian Young of Triple A Northeast. We got a lot to cover, and then we get to the to the nine o'clock hour and topics and issues and uh, stay with us. We're gonna have a great night tonight on Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I think all of us in New England know that we're in a drought. We've seen the fires here in New England, which we normally don't have. We generally have some, but it has been a very different falls. We are now passed halfway past the month of November, which is incredible with us. Is Ben No, meteorologist with the Washington Post, who tonight is in New Zealand? Then what the heck you doing down in New Zealand?
Speaker 5: Hi, Danny, thanks for having me tonight. I am calling for about nine thousand miles away in New Zealand. Actually have lived down here for the last nine years, but recently took up a new job with the Post as a meteorologist within their newsroom. So I'm transitioning back to the States right now. It's actually a beautiful late late spring day here in New Zealand. We have the opposite seasons to the Northern Hemisphere, so it's dry, much like you guys have it right now in New England. It's dry down here.
Speaker 2: Too, So you selling here in American originally, I mean, where'd you grow up. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I grew up in New York State, about an hour north of New York City in the Lower Hudson Valley. Went to school in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how'd you get to New Zealand? I'm going off beat here, but I just have always fascinated and no relation I assumed to the great Chuck Noll, the coach of the Steelers for many years.
Speaker 5: Right, no relation to Chuck Nol though my family does kind of hail from Pennsylvania, so maybe there's some distant connection there that I'm unaware of. I went to I worked at Akiweather for a couple of years in Pennsylvania. Then a job offer came up in New Zealand. I was in my twenties. I'm like, well, you know, if you're ever going to travel and see the world, now is the time to do it. And yeah, it was a great choice at that time of my life. Beautiful country. If anyone in New England is looking for a vacation spot, highly recommended, friendly people, nice coffee, pretty good food too.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: You know, I wish that I knew you back then because Scott Brown, former Cenator from Massachusetts and a longtime friend of mine, was our US ambassador to New Zealand, and I almost went down there for a visit. But let's talk weather. What's going on here. I know that you know a lot about more weather, a lot more about weather than I do. This is a problem for us, but I guess in other parts of the world. Reading your most recent piece, I think in the post suggested that there's parts of the world that did have drenched at this point. You think of the floods in Spain and elsewhere. Tell us, is this just part of a normal cycle or is it something more pernicious than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been an interesting one, Dan, I mean, we've watched this pattern over the last i'd say a couple of years toward what I describe as actually global moistening. You know, we hear about global warming and the warming trend toward warmer temperatures across the globe. Well, part and parcel with the warming world is an atmosphere that can hold more water vapor. And we've seen from several very impactful storms, whether it was the hurricanes like Helene and Milton, the recent floods in Spain, there's been kind of a litany of flooding rain events across the planet, and they have probably outnumbered the parts of the planet that have been experiencing dryness and drought. However, the US has been probably one of the few standouts for being really dry and widespread dryness across the planet as a whole. And we've actually seen about eighty seven percent of the United States experience abnormally dry conditions here in the month of November, and that is the highest number on record since such records began back in the year two thousands. So you've certainly felt that in New England, but it's been widespread across the United States, kind of bucking that trend toward internationally conditions that are actually very wet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what normally would be the if the figure is eighty seven percent dry, I'm assuming that we're never one hundred percent perfect normally in a normal November, what would that figure.
Speaker 5: Be if you know, yeah, looking back, I mean it ebbs and flows, but I mean I look back to you know, say, November of twenty twenty three, and you know, you'd be looking at conditions that are more you know, closer to fifty percent sixty percent kind of in that ballpark. So to have you know eighty seven percent. That that's a record for all months, not just November. That's the highest number that that that drought index has seen, so it is it is pretty pretty pretty notable, I'd say from a record keeping perspective.
Speaker 2: Notable and obviously very anomalous, which which is another concern. But at the end of the year, will it kind of even out? I know, we had a fairly wet spring of at least here in New England, and my focus is on New England obviously, is it going to even out by the end of the year. We have some rain coming in here according to our weather forecasters, fairly significant rain Wednesday into Thursday, maybe even into Friday. I'm sure you probably gave a peek at the forecast. Will it? Will it? You know, will it? Do you think even out towards the end of the year, maybe get us close to normality or are we looking at something that that's really going to be a problem that you think is going to continue going forward?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, we've seen deficits across Massachusetts as high as eight or more inches across parts of the state. I mean, I'm looking on the eastern flank of the state toward the cape, I mean places there eight to ten plus inches in deficit, and then out towards the Berkshires as well, eight to ten inches in deficits. So these are these are pretty significant rainfall deficits. When you're talking about you know, a magnitude of that high, that's two to three, you know, months worth of rain that you're you're needing to kind of make up. Now, you know, you do have that rain event coming in on Thursday, and that looks to bring maybe about an inch of rain give or take to the state. You know, some areas higher, some areas maybe a little bit lower. You know, that'll help. But you know, when you're talking about deficits that are you know, eight to ten times that amount, it's going to take some time. So you know, I think at this point we are seeing that pattern of dryness start to ease back a little bit. That's the good news. And I suspect there will be some more storm systems to come as we enter December that will bring some beneficial rain. But what you don't want is a whole heap or rain in a short period of time. You know, we all love pumpkin pion Thanksgiving, but you eat too much of it. You know, you come away with a stomach ache the next morning. Same ghoast for rain. You don't want too much rain in one big storm because that'll lead to flooding and the opposite problem. So we want kind of gentler, sustained rainfall that's going to bring you back. And we'll make a stride in that direction here on Thursday, but indeed we will, we will definitely need more to break through this drought.
Speaker 2: Well, Ben, it was a pleasure to talk to you. Learned a lot. I really mean that. Honestly, you seem like a rock solid guy. The Washington Post love to use you more often, particularly when you get back here to the East coast of America. We could check in with you sometime. How soon will you be back? Will you, you know, take up residents in the DC area?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, as you can imagine, it's a quite a journey, and it's quite a process, so, you know, selling a house, relocating, getting you know, my feet on the ground there probably next year, twenty twenty five is what I'm aiming for. But it was great to be on with you tonight, Dan, And yeah, I look forward to touching base in the future and hoping for an easy transition into winter and exactly the right amount of rain for your listeners there in the Boston area.
Speaker 2: Ben no of the Washington Post meteorologists of the Washington Post, thanks very much. I appreciate your time and hope you have a great Thanksgiving. I don't know if they celebrate Thanksgiving down in New Zealand, but maybe you'll find some Americans to celebrate it with.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks Dan, I'll be heading to Taco bell as all Americans do here in New Zealand on that big day.
Speaker 2: It's the tradition Thanksgiving then. Okay, I think the Pilgrims did that too. Actually, hey, Ben, thanks very much. Talk to you soon. Yeah, okay, we're going to thanks thanks Ben, Ben Knowell of the Washington Post in New Zealand. And now after the news at the bottom of the hour, we're going to talk about the fact that eighty million Americans we'll be traveling over this Thanksgiving holiday, which of course is now a little more than a week away. Jillian Young, director of public relations for tripa A Northeast, will be with us. We'll talk with her, and later on during this hour we'll talk about World Aid's Day coming up on December first, my name is Dan Ray. Listen to WBZ Boston's News Radio ten thirty on your AM dial, and of course you also more than welcome to download the iHeart Radio app. Just go to your app store and get the iHeart Radio app and you can listen to WBZ and iHeart stations across the country three hundred and sixty five days a day a year and twenty four seven Back on Nightside right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. Well, of course, as I think all of us know, one of the busiest travel days of any year, and maybe this one is going to be Thanksgiving with us is Julian Young, director of public relations for TRIPAA Northeast. Julian, the figure is eighty million Americans expected to travel over Thanksgiving. What do they mean by that? Not eighty million Americans on airplanes? What is the is it if you travel more than fifty miles you get counted into this number of eighty million.
Speaker 7: It's a great question, Dan, so yes, the projection of nearly eighty million travelers. Is anyone who is heading fifty miles or more from their homes over the Thanksgiving qualiday period. So those are folks who are traveling by car, some are going to travel by air, and then we're also factoring other forms of transportation like trains, buses, and even crewies.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, how does that breakdown? I know that one of the things you always hear is that the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is our busiest travel day of the year or something like that. How does this break down? Does does it count like eighty million people go somewhere and then the same eighty million people come back or is it forty million people go and then forty million trips back. I always get confused by that number.
Speaker 7: So it's eighty million travelers total. So that's the total number of people who are going to take trips. And you mentioned Wednesday as the busiest day, and that is certainly what we used to see. I think anyone who has tried to get on the road the Wednesday before Thanksgiving us in some pretty frustrating traffic. But what we've seen over time, especially in the past few years coming out of the pandemic, is that the traffic patterns and the travel patterns have shifted a little bit, and we're now looking at also the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the Monday after the holiday as among the busiest travel days in that travel period.
Speaker 2: So that sounds to me like the Thanksgiving weekend, like most of our wastelines on Thanksgiving, is it.
Speaker 7: Has expanded. Yeah, we've seen those. We've seen those travel patterns expand over the last couple of years, partially because people might have some more flexibility with work. They might have the chance to travel on a Monday or Tuesday and work remotely and not have to pack their travel into that day before the holiday and the Sunday after when it used to be that everyone was really traveling on those days.
Speaker 2: How does this compare Obviously, in the last few years, you know, with twenty and twenty one, the COVID pandemic was at its height, and a lot of people stayed close and there was probably less less big family dinners and people were isolated and all of that, and then the economy and COVID sort of has diminished. It's still there, but it's diminished, and the travel picked up a little bit in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. How does this Thanksgiving compare to maybe the Thanksgiving before COVID, which would have been Thanksgiving of twenty nineteen, because that seems to me to be the only two recent Thanksgivings that are comparable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're absolutely right, Dan, And when we look at the projection for this year compared to twenty nineteen, that last Thanksgiving before the pandemic hit, we're looking at a projection of two million more travelers this year than in twenty nineteen. So we are breaking that pre pandemic record or expected to for this year. And it's an increase of one point seven million people from last year, so we're really on the up if you compare simply to last year or to twenty nineteen pre pandemic.
Speaker 2: You know, that's kind of interesting because well, when you think about it, our population as a country has I'm sure grown substantially from twenty nineteen. That's five years. It seems like every year when you hear the pop we now have three hundred and twenty million. No, it's three hundred and thirty million, And I kind of thought that I'm surprised that it was that high back in twenty nineteen, to be honest with you, I mean that's a pretty significant number if it was seventy eight million back in twenty eighteen and we've only grown two million over period to five years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good point. You know, we haven't looked at it against pop like greater population trends, but you've sparked an idea, and I think now we might have and make that comparison to see how those patterns align or don't align. But what we've seen over the years is that Thanksgiving has really always been the busiest holiday for travel, and we've just seen travel demand really continue to store post pandemic, and Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where folks are looking to reconnect with family and friends, maybe take a fun trip to a new destination, maybe do both. And He've got a mix of those kind of traditional road trips to family that we might think of when we think of Thanksgiving, and also some folks who are headed to a warmer destination and getting out of dodge just as things get a little chilly around here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, and I'm always trying to figure this stuff out, but Thanksgiving is on the calendar perfectly situated in that most parts of the country are not going to be impacted by a big weather event, whereas a Christmas our New Year's you can almost count and there'll be some parts of the country which will a big one the events. So therefore no one has deterred from making plans. And as you said, Thanksgiving is a lot simpler than Christmas. You get in the car and you go, you know, over the river and through the woods to grandma's house. Uh and and connect with your high school buddies or your high school gal pals, and you can do all you know it's and of course family is going to want to bring the kids back to see the grandparents. It just seems to me that Thanksgiving, which is such a great holiday, no pressure about give, gift giving or anything like that. Fun family food, football, It's all good. You know, throw a couple of extra bottles of wine in the car so that you get an invitation, last minute invitation. Always bring a bottle of wine. You don't have to do a whole lot. I mean, what's there not to like about Thanksgiving?
Speaker 7: You're so right, it really is the quintessential travel holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, look, I know you folks are going to be keeping up with it. Jillian triple A does a great job. I'm a member of Triple A. I pay my dues every year, and I want you to know that Triple A has bailed me out on several occasions with a dead battery or a flat tire. So's it's one organization I'm very proud to be a part of and I feel that I get my money's worth. And I advise anyone to consider becoming a member of Triple A. And that's a that's an unpaid promotional announcement. That's one that I truly do believe it. I mean that seriously.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you so much for saying that, and I'm so glad that we have been able to help you in those times when you need it. That is certainly one of the great benefits of Triple A membership. I've been I've been helped myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No. And they'll they'll almost tell you if they say that someone's twenty minutes away, you can take that to the bank. If they tell you it's really busy and it's going to be two hours, you can take that to the bank as well. But they do not they do not over promise. They promise accurately and they deliver so anyway, I just wanted to say that I haven't never had a chance to mention that on the air, but it's a I think it's a wise It's one of the probably the wisest membership that I've been involved in. So thank you very much. We talking again. Happy Thanksgiving, Jillian.
Speaker 7: Happy Thanksgiving to you, Dan. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, we come back on to talk about another subject which was a huge news story in the nineteen eighties, a's and thank god, thank goodness that even though World Age Day will come up again on December first every year, it seems that the AIDE story about the number of people impacted, et cetera, is heading in the right direction. Let's put it like that. I be talking with Jeremy Shaefer, registered nurse with outer Cape Health Services, right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: On December first, the world will recognize once again World Age Day with us as Jeffrey Schaeffer. He's a registered nurse with out a Cape Health Services. Jeffrey, in all the big stories of recent years, have people started to forget about AIDS?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Dan, I think that I think that it's probably a good thing that it is not on the forefront of news, and that means that it's not what it.
Speaker 4: Was in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 6: So I think I think it's tempered with a little bit of good news. That it might not be getting the attention, but it's not quite the threat that it was back then.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk. Let's just bring people up to date here. I assume that you know a lot more about this than I do, So I'm gonna ask some questions. It might be dumb questions, but feel free to tell me that questions or answer whatever that is. Is age age as prevalent today amongst you know, we'll just talk to the American public. We can talk worldwide, whatever way you want to talk about it, and it might be different. Is it as prevalent today as it was at its height in the late eighties early nineties.
Speaker 6: No, And I mean I'm going to go geographically. You know, there are different places, but there's a lot more in our toolbox now than there was back then. And so back then we only had abstinence either from whatever puts you at.
Speaker 2: Risk or.
Speaker 6: Also and condoms, you know, and now we have things like, you know, like we test the blood, you know, so if you're you know, feliac, you know you're not going to get it from the blood supply. You There are treat Also, if you're HIV positive and you're on treatment and you get down to undetectable, then you cannot transmit it, uh, sexually to another human being, so you're not at risk of transmitting it. And then there are other biomedical interventions either post or pre exposure, you know, to prevent transmission. So there's a lot more in our toolbox uh than there was back then.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's interesting the term undetectable. Does that mean that? Well, let me phrase the question this way. Obviously there's been a lot of people are much more careful who, you know, engage in certain sexual activities. I suspect because obviously when AIDS came, no one knew what it was, no one knew where it came from, and people were in a total panic. Okay, so the situation age is much more controlled at this point. Undetectability could that could could that uh sort of provide a resurgence that if people think that's undetectable and you can't transmit it. Therefore, maybe people allow their guards to drop down. Is there is there any potential downside to that in a longer.
Speaker 4: In in the long run, well, it's an interesting question.
Speaker 6: I don't know if there's a downside to not getting h I V. I think that if what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying is that if you if you're undetectable and therefore you become you know, more active, does that put you know, you know, does that put you again you're in a comfort zone, more of a comfortable set of circumstances. That that does that put you at at a at a risk of being reattected.
Speaker 4: Is what I was trying to get at.
Speaker 6: No, if you're undetectable, you still have it. And so there and so in the what they call reservoirs, which are you know, basically in the DNA of some of the white blood cells, is still the code for HID. But if you stop taking your medication, it starts replicating again, and so you do get the virus, and so that what that does, that keeps it at bay and so you you know, if you have a house full of zombies, you know, and then you've got locks on the house. If you take those locks away.
Speaker 4: And they get out, you know, like there's more.
Speaker 6: But if you get it back in there, they're still in there, you know, and they're still ris But what what it's doing for you? Let's so being undetectable as advantage in two different ways. One of them for the person who's living with HIV is that it your body is not constantly fighting the virus and so there's less inflammation. There's less things that cause you to get other comorbidities or other things that might lead to AIDS and being sick and getting opportunistic infections if you are. The benefit to others is that it's one of the methods of prevention is called treatment is prevention, meaning that the more people that are on treatment and are undetectable, the less chance it is of spreading. And so kind of like you know, if you have herpies and you're taking valve cyclopear, you know, it keeps it depressed so that you know, if you don't get an outbreak and you don't transmit it leads.
Speaker 2: How long has undetectability been possible? Is that a relatively recent breakthrough?
Speaker 6: I think the I don't know exactly it was coined, but more and more studies have shown that it's probably been more than ten years that we've known this, and probably around the same time. I mean, I can't see exactly, but I would say at least ten years or more that we've known it for sure because we've done They've done studies with couples who are monogamous and who one is living with HIV but does not have a viral load. The other person is not living with HIV and they're not using barrier protection. There's been no transmissions. So that's the way that they've proved it.
Speaker 4: And it is Yeah, is.
Speaker 2: There I only got a minute left, as they say in anticipation of World Aid's Day. Yeah, is there? Is there a hope that this virus can be isolated and eliminated?
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, they're always, you know, looking into different things. It's a little bit more difficult than like, you know, we've been able to cure HEC, but HIV is still elusive because of where it's hidden in the reservoirs. But I think that if enough people get you know, there's so much stigma about having HIV that you know, it's really important to you know, reduce the stigma about having it because if you happen to have had, you know, gotten it. It's important to get tested either through your primary care it's part of primary care now, or at a local testing resource, which you can get by just doing HIV testing near me. You can find some confidential places and there's even some over the counter things that you can find, you know, so whatever, Well.
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot, a lot of progress in a in a battle that now has been decades against AIDS, AIDS HIV. Yeah, thanks very much Jeffrey for your time. And what you do is do you want to is there a point that you would reference somewhere that people can get information easily just google it and I assume at this point it's so much so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can. You can google HIV testing near me out in Cape cod. You know, there's the program that I run tests and treat runs out of our provincetown location, and there's other Uh, if you googled HIV testing near me, you're going to find some places that are near you that can provide confidential testing. And and also yep, no.
Speaker 2: Just saying thank you very much, Jeffrey. We're run up against the nine o'clock news. Thank you for the work you do and continued success.
Speaker 4: My friend, thanks for having me, Dan, You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: When we get back here on nice side, right after nine o'clock news is going to be talking about the possibility of offshore wind off the coast of New England, and Dustin Delano of the New England fisher and Stewardship Association is very much opposed. We'll talk with Dustin right after the nine o'clock news on nightside