Speaker 1: All right, let's get it started, shall we.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky INA's Morning News, Coffee and Company here with you on news radio eight forty whas the gang is here. I'm Nick Coffee, Scott Fitzgerald alongside John Alden. He's running the operation in the control room or studio.
Speaker 1: Is it studio? D Is that right? It is studio?
Speaker 2: Okay, you just want to make sure. And then of course John Shannon alongside as well. And I was gonna ask you guys if you're ready, but I already know the answer that you're.
Speaker 1: Ready, dude, New Friday man. That's right. I could tell.
Speaker 2: I could tell when I saw John Alden pull into the parking lot and his sported up Toyota camery.
Speaker 1: That's true. It does have a spoiler on A two thousand. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: And then Scott walked in studio about ten minutes ago, and you probably were startled at first because I'm wearing a blue shirt that I hadn't thought of it until you said it. Of all the blue shirts I have, and I don't have many, this one it does actually look more Kentucky blue than any of the others, and it would you probably almost fainted. Seeing that, right I did. And what's that say?
Speaker 3: It's a testament to you, Nick, because everybody knows you're affinity for the Cards. I mean, your ex handle is the card connected, right, I mean, I get it. And you're no stranger. You admit on this show you are a fan of the Cardinals. And when you walk in, I see you in blue. That is a different look for you, dude, it does, and that's weird. I don't know if it's sad or awesome at the same time. That that's what hit me in the face first.
Speaker 1: Now totally makes sense. Who are you repping?
Speaker 2: Here's this is the West Canaan Coyotes, the team that's not real that is from Varsity Blues.
Speaker 1: Oh gotcha? Yeah, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Okay, dude, I've got a John mox in Jersey as well. It's one of my favorite sports movies, which I tell you what, I hadn't thought about it until you just asked who this was, which makes total sense. In fact, I'm sure most people probably wouldn't know it just by glancing at it.
Speaker 1: But again, it's the team that is that.
Speaker 2: Is the football squad and Varsity Blues one of my favorite football movies ever.
Speaker 1: But there are some I don't know if it's.
Speaker 2: Just because we know it's not real and because we know that, like it would be unusual to see somebody actually have gear.
Speaker 1: But I've always.
Speaker 2: Found teams that are in movies and TV shows that of course aren't real, to just be cool.
Speaker 1: Some of them.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, man, yeah, you know I would love to have like that. That team is so cool. I wish I could have a jersey.
Speaker 3: Well you know what I did because my daughter turned me on to cricket to make, you know, shirts and stuff with To your point, I love three quarter like baseball, like the old concert tees. So I made the Hamilton Mustang's Hockey Club and it goes back to a movie Rob Lowe and Young Blood.
Speaker 2: And that's obscure enough to yeah, because that's what you go for.
Speaker 1: Most people don't know it.
Speaker 3: But every now and then I'll get people to stop me thinking where did you get that shirt? And it's like I made it and they know they were a big fan of the movie.
Speaker 2: So another thing that some may not know about me. And I'm sure a lot of you knew that I'm a big time Louisville fan, But if you didn't now you do. But everybody I think has sort of like a I wouldn't call it a hobby, but just maybe like a vice, and they're really interested into certain things. For me, it is it is basketball jerseys. Yeah, And it's not because I wear them to work every day or anything like that. If I'm gonna wear one, it's usually if I'm at the beach or the pool or something like that. But I like to collect NBA basketball jerseys. But I'm not talking about like a Jordan jersey or a Shaquille O'Neal jersey. I'm talking about rare jerseys, colors and schemes, maybe even logos that teams no longer wear that they did in the nineties sometimes the eighties, and then also players that are obscure, like I have a big Country Bryant Reeves jersey. It's it's a similar reaction that you get whenever whenever people see it, they're like, I forgot that guy existed where they well did you get that? And I don't really know why that's become sort of a quirky thing that I'm into, but it is. And you mentioning the shirt that you created, like it's a similar thing, right, people sometimes probably wouldn't know, or they some people will ask like, I'm not familiar with that team, tell me more. Or some will know and be like, oh my god, where'd you get that?
Speaker 1: Oh I've got a Dug Glad jersey and he's out of the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, now I'm drawing a complete blank. He was the enforcer in the movie and now acky movie dougle If you've not seen, it's hilarious and I don't know forgive for driving. It's a popular movie. Yeah, Doug Glatt was Goon Goon. This movie I'm thinking of funny is all get up?
Speaker 1: Goon Tou was horrible. But when I wear the glat jersey, so it was good to remaker, No, no, no, that was an original movie.
Speaker 2: So the Goon original that's the one that has the It's gonna drove me crazy too.
Speaker 1: It's it's a stiffler. He's in Yes, Yes, yes, and so.
Speaker 3: And what's funny about that is when I wear that because everybody else is wearing the Johnson William Scott. Yeah, that's right, everybody else is wearing the the Johnstown Chiefs jersey for slap shot. That's kind of But man, when I put that Glatt jersey on. I went to my son's hockey games. There you could tell the hardcore hockey folks, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Especially in that niche in that world.
Speaker 3: And I was I was going to tell you when you were talking about basketball jerseys and you get yourself one of those turquoise Pistons jerseys if they wore with.
Speaker 1: The horse head logo on it. I have one. Oh yes, number thirty three grand Hill. Yes, good again.
Speaker 2: It would if you saw the collection I have. I don't think there'd be many that would be impressed. They would think this is guy, this guy's weird. But it's just it's it's just a thing. I think being a collector is pretty common, but people can sometimes be collectors of things that others would say, why the hell would you want that?
Speaker 1: Thank you too. Just became best friends.
Speaker 2: And I like you good stuff, And this was absolutely and this is we'll get back. We'll get back to work here soon. At least we'll get to work here soon. But I feel like this was probably the first time we had to start to the show where I really didn't have any mindset that we were actually on the radio, which I don't know if that's good or not.
Speaker 3: That is it's great, it's it's it's a it's a morning coffee talk.
Speaker 1: It's a way to get it going there.
Speaker 2: All right, bro, let's let's get a quick check of traffic and weather out there. Also, we've got sports coming your way about fifteen minutes. And also we'll have Rory O'Neil join us around five forty five, the five o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: We're up and running.
Speaker 2: It is a Thursday, it's Kentucky, and it's morning news with coffee and company here on news Radio WA forty whas.
Speaker 1: I was a little.
Speaker 2: Underwhelmed this morning when I walked out the garage door and of course then opened the big garage door, and I was still met with some disrespect from the humidity. But it sounds like that will get better later today because there are some storms expected later this evening, which I guess will then lead to a little bit of a cool down. I will say, can we pump the brakes on calling it a cold front? I mean, I guess technically it will be colder than it has been, but I wouldn't describe anything about what's on the forecast as cold. But that's me just nitpicking. But Yeah, there's gonna be some rain today, apparently some real downpours later on, and then of course that's when it does get a little bit more pleasant out there, and I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The last week roughly, maybe not quite a week, but certainly the last five days or so have just felt as bad as bad as it's been around here in a long time when it comes to just the consistency of the humidity and the temperatures, and as much as summer break ending is a sad thing for those that you have to go back to school and whatnot, and usually means your vacation is out of the way. But I'd say what I mean, who isn't ready for fall weather after the last week or so that we've had around here. Speaking of vacations, I should have mentioned this a little bit more throughout the week, But I'm out next week, so you will not get me. I know it's probably some tough news for you to hear, but I'll be back and you will be in good hands. And I don't know the full extent of the plans overall, but I do know that two individuals that are here with me every morning will be here.
Speaker 1: God willing.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's the company man, John Alden, and also the one and only Scott Fitzgerald. So I think we'll have Joe Elliott mixed in at some point throughout the week. Don't know exactly, but again, you'll be in good hands, and I am. I'm really looking forward to the family vacation. You will probably do this at some point, John, and maybe you already have. And I'm just showing that I don't know as much as I thought I did, But you and your lovely wife, you now are parents and you have your own, your own little family, and I would encourage you to find a spot. It could be whatever you guys want it to be. You know, I'm not as big of a beach guy as my wife, but I do love destined. So, just as a kid, did you have a vacation spot that you went on every year or at least like frequently that was just kind of known as the place where the family does vacation.
Speaker 4: It's weird throughout my childhood that that place kind of changed, like we'd go to the same place for four or five years and then go to a different place.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's not all I would say, That's not I would say that's not uncommon.
Speaker 4: But my wife has a place that she wants to kind of be our vacation home base. It's It's Carolina Beach of course, nice in North Carolina. She loves that part of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I as a kid, we would go. It was my dad's family. We would go to a place called Jekyl Island, Georgia, which it was probably our trip for gosh, seven eight years of my childhood throughout you know, not every year, but pretty consistently. And I hadn't been in probably twenty something years. And then we went as a family with my you know, my family and my dad and my stepmom and my sister and her son. We went for about three years in a row in the last five years, and it was the nostalgia was But I'll be honest with you. It's a fine place. It's very chill. It's literally an island. But it does you know, for those who've never been there, I don't know if it would be like, Wow, this place is awesome, we got to get back here. I don't think you would. I don't think you would hate it or anything like that. But what makes it special to me is that it was just it was our place, and I spent a lot of child I spent a lot of my childhood there, And there was also something cool about it for me because I knew that a lot of people like it's not a big time vacation destination. It's not like Deston, which I'm pretty sure next week when I'm in Destin, i'll see probably, you know, thirty percent of the crowd being from right here in Louisville. It's I mean, it's a saying for a reason, and I'm exaggerating, of course, but that's just an area where we go every year, and it's not uncommon for not only me to see many Louisville or Kentucky I should say, license plates, Louisville flags, UK flags. There's a lot of of Kentucky presence and Destin anytime I go anywhere there. But even where we stay, I mean there, it wouldn't shock me if the family staying next to us in our condo is from the area, because that's just that's kind of a you know, it's kind of our place.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm looking forward to it, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm also looking forward to our next update here from the one and Only Matt Melosa, bitch, you'll get us caught up on the forecast and when we can expect those showers and that cooler temperature to come in. Bobby Ellis, We'll get us updated on the traffic out there as we get this Thursday started right here on news Radio eight forty WHS. Thank you very much, John Shannon. Yeah, I didn't see things ending well for Shannon Sharp when it comes to the situation he found himself in towards the end of April. And I feel like Shannon Sharp as a former NFL player who became a pretty big time name in the I guess the world of former players who turned to not really broadcasters, but more so entertainers. I mean, that's that's that's kind of what that that gig is. I don't think enough people actually realize that that's what they're there to do, because you've got people.
Speaker 1: Like Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith and Skip Bayless, who are some other hot take artists out there, John, I mean, show of the.
Speaker 1: Two biggest ones for sure.
Speaker 2: Shannon Sharp, I don't he's very you know, he's energetic, and I actually think he's I really like Shannon Sharp as a as a host of the many different roundtable shows he's been on. I think his his opinions on sports, even if I don't necessarily agree with him, they're not to me. And I feel like I've got a pretty good radar for this given just what I've what I've done, meaning how long I've been in in the sports media world, or I guess I should say was in the sports media world. He can give a take in a way that very much is delivered in a delivered with a lot of emphasis. Let's say that a lot of a lot of flavor on on his delivery and what he shares his opinions, but they're not outlandish things. It's not things that I hear and think, well, I'm not really sure you believe it. I think you're just playing a character on television. Because, by the way, that's what Stephen A. Smith does, that is what Skip Bayless does. I mean, this guy isn't a great example, but he's certainly captivated people like Steven A. Smith has done for many years, LeVar Ball. I mean, these are characters, and I think the more people realized that, the more you would not get so worked up. I mean, Stephen A. Smith is paid a lot of money It ain't because he's right about sports. It's just because he's he's gonna yell, he's gonna get people worked up. He's going to play the role that is screaming a Smith. I mean, that's that's what it is. So I don't take them serious, but I don't mean that in a disrespectful way as if, oh, those guys are clowns. I mean, I'd gladly play the role of I mean, if you want to call him a clown, I'll take the job in a heartbeat for five percent of what they pay Stephen A Smith. So what's weird to me, though.
Speaker 1: Is that Stephen A Smith.
Speaker 2: He to me, he's just again he's clearly I mean, the whole Lebron James thing a few months ago was wild, where he's approaching Lebron or Lebron confronts him court side at the Lakers game, and then Stephen A wants people to believe that if Lebron would have made any physical contact with him in any way, he would have knocked him out. Like what Like there's a level of like, Okay, I get, I get You're you're you're really you're turning the volume up pretty loud which is hard to do given how loud he is in general. But what I mean is he's really just being extra, as they say. But there's that, and then there's just saying things that like nobody would believe you at all. But again when you when you hear that and you get worked up, just realize, Okay, he's he's a character on television.
Speaker 1: That's that's what he is. Now.
Speaker 2: When it comes to Shannon Sharp, I felt like he gave you a little bit of the animated uh, you know, just over the top, really really highly energetic and some good liners that you maybe get from Steven A. But again, I think his sports analysis was more It was more respected. And I don't mean that just because he's a former player, because I've always felt like those who claim that only former athletes should be able to talk about sports and be in the media, I think that's the dumbest thing ever, because it shows that you don't have any clue really what that industry is, because believe it or not, it's entertainment.
Speaker 1: Like that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Former players are there to provide analysis that most could not provide because again, most of us didn't play in the NFL. The NBA, the major leagues, and their value is real. They have value. They are an added component, they're needed, they're necessary. There's some that are great. However, at the end of the day, it's a level of entertainment, especially for those kind of shows. If you're a broadcaster, meaning for the game, color commentary, play by play, I mean that's not mean you are there to beat to addle.
Speaker 1: You're there to.
Speaker 2: Enhance what people are watching in that experience. But if you're on TV for an hour hour with three other people given given takes, and and and having debates, that quite literally is there for entertainment reasons, which is why some of them that are that feature journalists that do have really good opinions and they they are phenomenal writers when it comes to columns, features, that kind of stuff. When you put those guys on TV, just them, it just does. It doesn't hit because again it's not it's not as entertaining. And that's not an insult, that's just again there's certain roles that that come that come with it.
Speaker 1: Meaning, you know how.
Speaker 2: You cover sports, but you you you were, I don't know, I don't think you'd be. I don't remember you being a big fan but I feel like during our time together on Sports you you were you were pro Shannon Sharp.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I remember he remember he had the really hid some interesting things come up about him though during our time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah on the Sports show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's uh, yes, so were we together when he uh whenever he went live on IG accidentally.
Speaker 1: Yes, wild that he cant his job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's easy to forget now because of the lawsuit that he just settled. But yeah, Shannon Sharp goes live on Instagram unknowingly with his phone sitting in a hotel, nothing visible.
Speaker 1: But we got to hear the real if you.
Speaker 2: Ever wanted to hear what Shannon Sharp sounds like when he is having intercourse. He provided that for a lot of people, and somehow you survive that. But then when you were accused of rape and there's a lawsuit against you and you settle for fifty million dollars after claiming that it was nothing, you're going to be vindicated. This is all a setup. I mean, you settling is a sign that you you clearly are aware that if you don't settle, you could have to pay more than fifty million dollars. So easy for ESPN, I think to make the decision to cut ties there.
Speaker 1: But Unk, as they.
Speaker 2: Call him, I'll miss him. All right, Let's get to a quick update on the roads out there. Bobby Ellis will getus caught up on the traffic. We've got another update coming your way when it comes to the weather out there. Mat Melosavich and Roy O'Neil going to join us from MBC on the other side right here on news radioaight forty whs.
Speaker 1: This is Kentucky Anda's.
Speaker 2: Morning news here on news radio eight forty w h as Nick Coffee, that is me, and we've got Rory o'eial of NBC News with us here. So, Rory, the Federal Reserve, they're not going to drop interest rates just yet, and that is not a good thing when it comes to those that are dependent upon these kind of things. What can you tell us as far as just the you know, the latest key economic indicators here, as far as what we can't expect or I guess maybe when we could potentially expect some relief here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now, they are still optimistic that they can start to cut rates later this year, maybe even two quarter point rate cuts.
Speaker 1: That's encouraging, but that would be encouraging.
Speaker 5: But by the way, Chairman Powell is just chairman of this Federal Reserve Board. They all get to vote on the rate, so it's not just him, but obviously he's chairman, he's got a bit more sway. But still they decided to hold rates where they are, in part because we don't know what's going to happen to the economy when the tariffs really start to take effect tomorrow. You know, for the first half of the year, we saw a lot of businesses they were bringing in inventory early before.
Speaker 1: Tariffs took effect.
Speaker 5: But now when they have to start paying fifteen thirty fifty percent more for some of what the import Brazil in particular, they can't absorb that cost and it's going to have to be passed on. And since the Fed is concerned with two things, unemployment and inflation, inflation could be an issue if the tariffs cause its prices to spike. That's why the Fed is sort of staying let's just stay the course, let's see what happens with tariffs.
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say that the economic uncertainty that we have right now is largely due to just I guess, the unknown of what happens with the tariffs.
Speaker 1: That is a big part of it.
Speaker 5: And again it's also because it's not as if these tariffs are all being passed as some part of big trade bill that's being negotiated by Congress, and that's normally how it's done. Instead, this tends to be you know, Donald Trump is angry at Brazil this week, so they get a fifty percent tariff rather than thirty five or whatever it may be. So you tend to see these wild swings in some of the either the tariffs that are threatened or the tariffs that actually will take effect at starting tomorrow. So it's it is a lot of uncertainty out there. And look, even we heard it from the EU over the weekend when the President was in Scotland announcing the framework of a deal. There, it's like, at least they have the certainty. Now they've got it in writing that it's going to be fifteen percent for X, Y and Z products, so they know how to plan for it. You know, that's the real thing, that's the real issue for a lot of these corporate managers. You know, you're trying to figure out what will the tariff be, and now that you know, you can sort of see if you can work around it.
Speaker 2: Rory and Neil of NBC News is our guest, joining a serial news radio eight forty Whas obviously birth rates have declined, that's been a pretty consistent thing over the years. And also the housing market. Who would buy a house right now given the current interest rates. I'm sure there are people doing it, but I totally understand when it comes to those that are not do these things.
Speaker 1: Is there is there any.
Speaker 2: Possibility that these things could be tied together as far as the housing market being what it is and that being a factor and people deciding to hold off on maybe having their first child or having a child.
Speaker 1: Ange right, by the.
Speaker 5: Way, this is how old I am. And it just a clip came up in my feed the other day in a nineteen eighty one news report that talked about mortgage rates hitting twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Wow, different times what we're seeing. You're not old, you're a young stallion Rory.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, But with the rates that we're seeing now six and a half to seven percent, they're really much more normal. Like we got boiled with those three percent interest rates. So now that we're all saying, oh, they're so high, like historically they're maybe a little bit above average, but they're pretty much running the average. But these interest rates on mortgages are really disrupting a lot more than just the housing market, as you suggested, With the cost of housing so high, even rents are soaring across the country, more and more couples are saying, oh, not a good time to have a kid, or I can't afford to feed an extra mouth in the house or put clothes on its back. And we all know how expensive kids can be, so and the daycare is often more expensive than the mortgage. So you're seeing a lot of couples are pulling back, saying, look, we just can't afford to bring that extra child into the world.
Speaker 1: Rory, you're the man.
Speaker 2: As always, we appreciate your time, Enjoy the rest of your day and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nick. That's Roy O'Neil NBC News. He's not old.
Speaker 2: I mean he's he's older than me, but you'd never know. He's sharp as attack. Again, he's a young stallion. Rory O'Neil of NBC News, that's our guy, and again, always appreciate his time. Let's get to a quick update on the roadways out there. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up, and we've got another look at the forecast from at Melosovich. Scott is back with another update on sports, and we are rolling along here on a Thursday on News Radio eight forty whas