Speaker 1: It is seven oh five here Kentucky. It's morning news on news radio eight forty whas and we are now joined. But he's I'm the new guy. He's a regulars Dwight Mitchell w of l MPD who joins us. How are we doing, Dwight?
Speaker 2: Very good, Nick, And you know it's gonna take me away to get used to that new name. Yeah, I said, Tony, but works for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy to chat with you. Look forward to having conversations throughout. And I'm not Tony Kruz. If I could, I would certainly try to be, but nobody can. And we'll we'll miss him around here. But now you've got me, and again I'm looking forward to to our continued conversations and I'll continue to I guess I'll start with when it comes to LMPD in the plans for this weekend, obviously there's gonna be some demonstrations that are scheduled really across the country. Certainly Louisville is one of those cities that will see that as well. What is in place as of now to as best have things from getting to the point where it does sort of cross the line from being peaceful to maybe becoming not peaceful.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I'm main going it's always public safety when it comes to these issues, So that's what LMPD will be concentrated on and monitoring that public safety and the rights of folks their constitutional right to protest. That's what's great about this country. The moment it gets into something other than that is when we will intervene at that point. But otherwise we hopefully that it's peaceful protests and one that people get their points across, they want to do, and they can work with us. We can ensure that that happens to make sure those demonstrations go peacefully and smooth as we all want them to go, and everybody has public safety at the front part and also get to exercise your constitutional right. So as long as we're able to do those things, that's our goal.
Speaker 1: So there's obviously training that goes into place when it comes to being on hand to keep things as peaceful as possible. But I feel like that would be a real challenge to kind of balance. I mean, certainly you can see, okay, this is certainly something that one is against the law, or it's some thing that is trending towards crossing that line? How do you, guys balance that you how do you how do you know, truly know exactly where where that line is.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the whole reason why there's a line, and it's an invisible one and one that through training that you hope that you can detect early and hopefully promote that to say, hey, if you cross this line, this is going to happen. The one thing that's very difficult in law enforcement, no matter what the situation is, human behavior is not an exact science. We don't know why people do what they do, even though there's rules and laws in place of what they do that in fact, if we knew the answer to that, they would need the US. So it is a challenge, as you have said, but one that we meet and sometimes we get it right real good, and sometimes we don't, and we learn through those lessons and we try to do the best we can.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the officers that'll be on hand. Is there any specific I'm trying to think of the right way to word this, because you want people to be able to rest the rights and they have the right to do that, but I just I feel like if you were being antagonized as an officer, I mean, and you're trained to just deal with it, I suppose, But that's got to be a lot more difficult than people probably realize.
Speaker 3: Well, it is because we're not robots.
Speaker 1: Sure, humans human beings, but the human element is real, right.
Speaker 3: But the call.
Speaker 2: Into law enforcements, just like it is in any call in any profession, there has to be a special it factor that you have to have to be able to handle those things that comes through experience. No matter how much we may train on it in a training situation, when it's happening for real, human instincts take a place. But for the number of interactions we have in law enforcement, no matter what the situation is, excuse me, most of the time we come out on top and doing the right thing. And the men and women who put that uniform on every day exemplify that, and that's what we continue to encourage.
Speaker 1: Dwight Mitchell, OLLMPD spokesman joins us here our news Radiate forty whas. One of the big stories last week and my first week on the job was trying to keep the situation in the Highlands on Bargetown Road for trying to prevent a third straight weekend of just chaos. To put it bluntly, it seems as if there was some real progress this past weekend with with with what went on.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, we learned from the first weekend we had increased patrol in that area and there's no doubt that the weather helped us too, because.
Speaker 3: It did start.
Speaker 2: Mother nature helped out, yes, and that's what's good about mother nature. Every now and then she does what a mother does, Yes, comes and brings some peace and some tranquility to things. But we are prepared in case anything happens. Well, you'll see more increased walking patrols in that area as well as our horse patrol of being that area just to let people know that we're there and we want people to have a good time.
Speaker 3: We wanted them to do that.
Speaker 2: But again, it's crossing that line that we're all talking about when.
Speaker 1: It comes to I guess long term plans and order to improve that overall situation. What kind of things could could go in place to you know down the line here.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not all a police issue.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know, we have the bar businesses in the area that staying open that time.
Speaker 3: They're being very cooperative with us and doing that.
Speaker 2: They have a place of business, they're trying to have have people to have a good time with that. But as far as the police department is going to start again, it comes down to public safety and what's problem and nobody's breaking laws. I think last weekend, I think we only had the I think Friday night there was really nothing that went on, and we may have told maybe five cars and then a couple of unrelated.
Speaker 1: Over Yeah, it didn't really tie into what had happened previously, right.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, And I think people got the message. But I know it's kind of a cat and mouse game too. It's Bardstown when week it could be somewhere else. Oh yeah, but we're prepared.
Speaker 1: So there was some unfortunate, really some sad news this week as former LMPD detective Michelle Rush passed away after a fierce battle cancer. Obviously, she made quite an impact on this community and quite an impact on the department. Can you talk a little bit about that. I know a lot of her colleagues and friends, family have really just talked about how special she was.
Speaker 2: She was very special and you know, only thirty five years old. But when I say that she didn't live long, but she lived strong, and she did her job very very well from all of what I'm hearing and what I've heard over the years, and her deep passion she had for children and working in that unit, which takes a very special individual to do that, because you find them in the worst situations many times, and you're trying to bring them some kind of comfort and closure and those type of things, and she did that very well in dealing with that. Certainly, our prayers go out to her husband, who's a detective own the department, as well as her three children, and you know, we just asked God's grace and mercy upon him as he has to raise those children, not totally alone, sure, but it's not the same as if your wife's not there in their mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and clearly a very sad, sad situation. However, it did really from my perspective, just give me a reminder of the camaraderie that is there within law enforcement and just seeing so many go out of their way to make sure people knew the impact that she had on them and had on the community.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know the thing about it is, you know you're in law enforcement, police officer, but you're a human being, and she was somebody's wife, somebody's parent, somebody's daughter, somebody's cousin.
Speaker 3: So it's no different than you and your family, Nick.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately her time came quick, but I feel that she's in a much better place where there's no more sickness, no more pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thoughts and prayers to the entire family and all those that were close with Michelle Rush very sad. Well, Dwight. I appreciate you coming in, looking forward to having these weekly conversations, and hope you have a good week and best of luck with everything. I know it's going to be a busy weekend for you and the team.
Speaker 2: Yes, and happy Father's Day, dolt, that's right, coming up. I get the big piece of chicken on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Nice would be great. Nice, Happy Father's Dead everybody. And thanks that's bit Mitchell, Cardinal Power hour right here, you know, right between you two.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, and I'm not ashamed. And I'll add to say did that before I.
Speaker 1: Take it.
Speaker 3: That way?
Speaker 1: Thank you? All right, We've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way right here on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty w h as it is unbelievable that in that plane crash that took place yesterday in the western part of India, that two hundred and forty one people that were on board that plane are are dead. And there's not only I mean, there's one survivor. That alone, is is insane that that, given what happened, given what took place, that's that that one person was able to survive. But to hear that once they ended up getting him to the hospital, the doctor that was with with the survivor just said he was disoriented, had some injuries on his body, but overall out of danger. I mean, I cannot imagine I mean, in any way anything that comes with that entire situation, top to bottom, meaning being the survivor, being a family member, somebody who knew one of the many that passed away. Two hundred and forty one people were dead. But talk about survivor's guild. If you're not familiar with what that is, it's a real thing. And this may be one of the most extreme and best examples that I can think of, because you'd have to wonder why me, Why did I get so lucky? You're balancing the uncontrollable. I guess, praise to God that you're alive, right, And I was stumbling there spinning my wheels because I didn't really know how to order. But you're just so grateful and you will forever. You'll probably right now think for the rest of your life. There won't be three to five seconds that go by where you don't think. Man, I'm so lucky, I'm so thankful, I'm so blessed, Thank you God. But then you wonder, well, man, there were two hundred and forty one people that didn't live. I'm okay, I'm alive. Wow, thank you. This is unbelievable. I'm so grateful. But also again the guilt of others that were on the plane with you, that you know, you probably have memories of going right before it happened and seeing a family that was in the aisle next to you or whatnot.
Speaker 4: I just I mean not to mention the trauma that this man's gonna he's gonna wake up in the middle of the night, he's gonna have to re live this over and over and over, and then to your point, at the same time, he's probably going to turn this around and go, Okay, what good can I was put again, I'm a firm believer.
Speaker 1: We're all here for a reason.
Speaker 4: People cross our paths for a reason, we're introduced to people for a reason.
Speaker 1: This guy survived for a reason. He's got work left.
Speaker 4: To do, and it'll be interesting to follow his storyline and see what happened.
Speaker 1: So again, there's I think most just the reaction is how lucky is this guy? Who would have ever believed somebody would not only survive but seemingly be okay. But I don't think enough This is just my perception of it, that people like, he's a victim here, he's gonna have he has had a traumatic experience. So yes, that is wow, how lucky is he? He survived, but his life will be forever changed, and there's so much that comes with that kind of trauma that it'll like again, I'm sure, And that's the balancing Now, you're lucky to be alive, your life has forever changed, and I can't imagine that's something that you just eventually ever get over. You just have to hopefully learn how to how to deal with it.
Speaker 4: They said he got up to get out of the aircraft, and he said he just remembers bodies being all around him and those are images that will never ever escape him and take him with him wherever he goes. There's gonna be a lot of therapy that's going to be involved here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said he heard a loud noise seconds after takeoff, and then the next thing he remembers is just seeing the botoman. It just it's awful, just awful, awful stuff. And so before we get to our next update on traffic and weather, the cicadas are real issue around here and I haven't noticed is much like just getting in my way to where they're they're they're near me and I got to shoe them away. But they're loud, dude, They're so loud. So have you guys seen this story out of Cincinnati. There's somebody who got into a serious car crash yesterday and they're blaming the cicada. Oh no, So police are searching for the suspect who who fled or flew the suspect as a cicada. Another bad joke, second one of the day for me. I'll take I'll put it Joe going ahead and spotting to white a couple of bucks before this show start starts so he can get some Friday bad jokes out of the way. But anyways, there was a crash in Cincinnati and the driver claims that they were startled and tried to shoe away the noisy cicada. They ended up flying into the vehicle and when doing that, they veered off the road, hitting a pole, overturning the vehicle and luckily nobody was hurt on an overturned vehicle crash, which is a pretty rare thing. But the police they're locally, note that cicadas don't respect personal space and recommend that all drivers keep their windows rolled up at least for the next few weeks. So I don't know why what you would get out of making this up, But there's no way to know for sure, Like there's no there's gonna be any proof that a cicada caused it. It's a little bit believable just because we know, especially Cincinnati's not far from us at all, and around here they're everywhere.
Speaker 4: I've I've seen the stories where people have used this defense a bee and that actually happened to us. Okay, bee flew into the car and it drives you crazy. I've almost been caught in a couple times with that. I mean, I'm not talking like your carpenter bees that don't harm anybody. These are those nasty little yellow jacket things that are just been there. Yeah, and I've almost swerved a couple of times, but the same token, I knew I had to keep my hands on the road.
Speaker 1: Or bees believed to be smart. Yeah, you know, they're pretty smart. When it's happened to me, I feel like they know they've got me in a vulnerable spot, right, jacky jackets do, dude, they're coming for you.
Speaker 4: The carpenter's bee is kind of kind of an eres kind of thing. And that's why I said, but if you I had a yellow jacket in the car and then just remember swerving all over and even when when I was telling you last weekend when I was cutting the grass and cicadas were landing on me because I think they're blind. I mean, they just the boom and then and they're stuck. They're they don't are not gonna hurt you, but they just don't look pleasant.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's and they don't sound pleasant either. They don't You could be out trying to enjoy a nice you know, late spring, early summer evening and trying to get some peace and quiet, maybe just hear nature and there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and the good the good thing to your point is they're probably going to leave us at the end of this month.
Speaker 1: That's the case. This that was my CCADA impression.
Speaker 3: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: That was good. That was really good.
Speaker 4: My math teacher.
Speaker 1: No, I can't speak. I'm outa shove. I goa threw my voice out there. All right. An update of trafficking weather's coming your way right here on news radio eight forty w h AS seven forty six here at Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty w h A s. Don't forget. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at youhas dot com. We've got another sports update coming your way in about nine minutes. We'll have another news update with John Shannon around eight o'clock. And I've got some friends stopping by. My friends over at Thornton's are gonna stop in and see us. I'm a big Thornton's guy, you guys know, it's a big part of the brand, and I'm looking forward to seeing them. Who doesn't like Thornton's. If you didn't, if you didn't like Thornton's, I'm turning your mic off, dude. I told you yesterday.
Speaker 4: The beauty for me about Thornton's is after the pandemic, the grocery stores all didn't stay up in twenty four hours. I like banana sometimes in the morning, and sometimes I forget to get them. Who's got bananas in the morning.
Speaker 1: Thornton's, of course they didn't. I can walk in there, of course they did. Yeah, it was a relief. And they have a lot of perks to being a member of their Refreshment Awards program, and one of those is you can save up to twenty five cents weekly when you fill up the gas tank, so weekly you always counts up to twenty five cents off per gallon, and then every day you can save five cents. But that's one of the many reasons. But we'll chat with our friends coming up here in the eight o'clock hour. So one of the things that that we've been discussing throughout the morning here, as you could expect, is the the the plans this weekend across the country really for the the protests, and I don't I mean, let me make sure I word it correctly here because I don't want to, you know, I don't want to get it wrong. But there's the Kings what is it called the King's Thing? Where's it at here? I just had it pulled up in front of me. No Kings, Yeah, the no Kings pro So those are going to take place just about everywhere. As we discussed earlier, they are, there's plans for them to take place, and I believe every I mean every at least at least one city within every state, we'll have one of these protests. And sorry for being pessimistic. I just think it's hard to expect there not to be multiple instances of I guess, just examples of when it does cross the line. And what I'm dying to know but will never be able to know, is Okay, how much did that truly represent of what's going on? Because this is something I think we're all aware of, but maybe we don't keep it in mind as much as we as we should. And that is that what you see in an isolated incident, I guess what you see could just be an isolated incident, and you know, really knowing just you know, an extreme example, how common is that type of thing to happen where it does cross the line to where it's no longer peaceful. But there's just you know, I think what we all want is to know the true temperature of how people feel about this stuff, and there's just really no way to know that at any specific level. And you've got extreme examples on certain sides, and that's all that gets thrown in our face. And I'm just somebody that's like just wanting to Okay, I can clearly tell you feel this way, right, and I could clearly tell that you feel that way, And I just I've always believed that the majority does lie in the middle. But maybe that's just a lie that I tell myself. Maybe it doesn't true, it does it.
Speaker 4: It's like in this business, I mentioned this to you, and I mentioned this cruise, that that there was one somebody who I respect in the media that told me, in this business, twenty percent love you, twenty percent hate you. The rest of the middle just don't care. And I think to your point, when it comes to the political outcries on one side and the political cries on the outside. There's that massive swath in the middle that looks at it realistically. And I find this out more and more of I've been in this business, that those outer fringes they're there, they're loud, they'll be heard, but they're not as big as the folks in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is planned also on the same day of Flag Day, and it's also President Trump's birthday. So yeah, they plan nearly two thousand no Kings protests across all fifty states. The flagship march is going to be in Philadelphia, and of course in DC there's not one schedule because in DC they're going to have the giant parade with tanks jets to celebrate the Armies two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I'm the only one, am I the only one here thinking of school House Rock, No More Kings when I hear the if you've ever seen maybe that was a little before your time, was a little bit before my time, school House Rock.
Speaker 3: More Kings.
Speaker 4: I keep thinking of that one now every time you say no kid.
Speaker 1: So if you are interested in I guess either maybe participating or maybe just knowing where to avoid if you go to no kings dot org. They've got a map that'll show you where these are expected to take place. So there's info out there and you can do with that how whatever, you can do whatever you want with that. It's the best way to put it all right. We've got another update to traffic and weather coming your way, another update of sports as well. Stick around right here on news Radio eight forty whas