Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com. You notice place only cost me one hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Has a better deal than that Aaron Neville megaphone I bought.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to thank you guys for making me activity director for the day. Okay, first of all, can everybody.
Speaker 1: There hell?
Speaker 4: Hell's wrong with this thing?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: We're about to start the.
Speaker 6: How does Sasa, Jonnithansberry Jukes.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 6: Hello, this is preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 5: You're listening right now.
Speaker 6: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Tonight it's part two of Celestial Bodies. In between our shows, we have come to the conclusion, the unequivocal conclusion that the Earth is not flat. If you believe it is good luck changing our minds before we hop in, and allow me to introduce all the crambell joining us here this evening. First and foremost from the Richter Observatory. He accidentally glued his thumb and first finger together, but it looks okay. Neil Richtor is here.
Speaker 7: Okay, how you doing, everybody?
Speaker 6: And from paranormally yours, she figured out that even though they breathe fire, a dragon will not explode, but a dino mighte Gil Nuklem is here.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, the deafening silence.
Speaker 6: From the silver screen. She took a yogurt to a fancy bar because it's cultured. Mercedes Ken be here.
Speaker 1: Gotta be a little ritzy.
Speaker 6: Mm hm, take it up a notch. That's right, hey, everybody joining us from his home studio. He's our resident teacher. One of his students ate her homework because he told her it was a piece of cake. John Kelly is here. Can't hear you?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 6: Everybody, you know, sometimes comments like that are not too far from the truth.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: That's the level of humanity for the most part. And last, but not least, the host of shaving Cream. She heard that cows don't laugh at jokes because they're not amused. Barbara Deal is here.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, speachless, hey, everyone, and without further ado, let us just hop right in. Barbara, you're gonna lead us off this week.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, I was trying to find something that I'd never heard before, So I'm wondering if anybody else has heard this song. The title of the song that I chose for our celestial bodies. Part two is called Uranus and it's by a band call Nano War of Steel.
Speaker 6: I would expect no less and here.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh, I'm so glad I don't surprise too many of my friends anymore. But hey, do you guys remember that Christmas when I was gifted those plates? Every single plate was a planet and the first thing I said was, Hey, who gets to eat off Uranus?
Speaker 5: So again insert middle school humor.
Speaker 1: Here, Yes, my brain is only eight years old.
Speaker 7: So as a star trek as a star trek man, are they're klingon certain Uranus?
Speaker 1: Very good joke, an old joke, but a good one.
Speaker 6: I'm sure a classic is a classic.
Speaker 1: Classic is a classic. You get to do the dad, and an old joke is an old joke, as as we're gonna find out with the song. So. Nano War of Steel is a comedy heavy metal band from Rome, Italy, formed in two thousand and three. They're famous for satirizing what they refer to as true metal, and they poke fun at the way power metal bands tend to take themselves too seriously. I can't wait love it band members. I'm going to try not to trip over these names uh Our guitarist Mohammed Abdul only normal named guy here, bassist s Gatto Pansery six six six, drummer Olmona Raider, lead vocal vocalist Hotoo Minimac and mister Boffo on sound effects.
Speaker 6: Did they were in that song from hair from last week?
Speaker 1: I was just I kind of wish they were.
Speaker 7: I'm just gonna say, what were their parents thinking? Who names their kids?
Speaker 1: They've released seven studio albums, one live album, one compilation, two EPs, and twenty five singles. They're a single. Urinus was featured on the twenty twenty album Stairway to Valhappa on Napalm Records. So let's hear it and we'll.
Speaker 8: Return but some more out there spacey thoughts.
Speaker 6: I like it bag, I like it cool, I like.
Speaker 2: It blue, I like it.
Speaker 3: Book, I like it, Wait to do the sands of me.
Speaker 6: Things I wanted, I see I wanted large.
Speaker 2: Water is spicy with electric charge, fluid outside the rockets.
Speaker 9: You can't go on a pleasure.
Speaker 3: But things.
Speaker 2: I want it can't ride to you.
Speaker 10: And say a fishy and on her Ally Shop says like I talk mer.
Speaker 2: See point two sweet stirs came held the windown her shirts.
Speaker 3: Half a lot of the.
Speaker 10: Worlds you see all wise, no bad for the deal thanks to the ashore Am shirts.
Speaker 3: I'm finally can't join the.
Speaker 9: Go read for that.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna long?
Speaker 6: I gotta say it long, y'r.
Speaker 3: So sisters, baby all right and I'll chuck some sides of song say no loud? Wow?
Speaker 9: Who when.
Speaker 2: Jade your Radjarade, your rade, your rade, Garada your rad I want to all reader.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: A quote from the Nano War of Steel official website reads, we spread the gospel of parody nationwide. We take comedy seriously, and I wanted to read some comments from the Uranus YouTube official video page. Quote one an old joke. Still these are of the song, and I'm impressed by the amount of scientific accuracy put into this old joke. Good job, nan o' war book two. The song lyrics I'll send my probe Voyeer two nineteen aus deep, using the Voyager two as a sexpun reference while knowing that it was exactly nineteen aus far from Earth. When it reachs Youurinus in nineteen eighty six is not only epic, it reaches sublimity. Thanks guys, and to get a little knowledge here, because we are supposed to learn an au stands. Anybody know this for astronomical unit? Yeah, and it's a unit of length. Does anybody know what the unit of length is? One hundred and forty nine billion, five hundred ninety seven million, eight hundred seventy thousand, seven hundred miles.
Speaker 6: That would have been my second guess. Yeah, okay, that's.
Speaker 1: The extra credit question. So that's okay, all right. Another quote reads a zero percent nudity, zero percent swearing, five percent hot girls, forty five percent methane, fifty percent useful astronomical trivia, one hundred percent talent. And finally, this song should be played while someone is having a colonoscopy. Oh my god, Mike, my gastroentrologist, would love this.
Speaker 6: Not the same twisted sense of humor I have. Oh my gosh, I'm gonna have to send that to her seriously.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to close by adding that, in order to research this topic, I googled songs called uranus.
Speaker 4: Of course you did.
Speaker 6: Starting of course, I think you won the category. Yeah, you set the bar pretty high to lead us off this week. That was good. Yes, all right, Well, I need a break. Anybody else? I think so, I think so. Yeah, all right, we'll be back right after this, Hudson River Radio dot Com. It beats listening to nothing.
Speaker 11: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 6: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to.
Speaker 4: Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 6: And welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show. Neil, you get to follow Barber selection.
Speaker 1: Come up behind you.
Speaker 7: It is a tough act to follow, man. Oh wow, yeah, all right, but anyway, my celestial out of this world choice for today's topic is a song called Another Girl, Another Planet by the band The Only Ones. The Only Ones are an English rock band. They formed in London in August of nineteen seventy six. Although they're generally labeled as a punk band, they also incorporated power pop, hard rock and a little bit of psychedelia into their sound as well. Original members are songwriter Peter Parrott on rhythm, guitar and vocals, bassist and songwriter Alan Mayer. He had previously had success with a Scottish band called The Beatstalkers. John Perry, originally a bass player, he switched to guitar when he joined the band and drummer Mike Kelly, no relation to John formerly of the band Spooky Tooth, who had had success pretty much mainly in the UK in the late sixties and early seventies. And I actually got to see Spooky Tooth in New York somewhere in the early seventies. It's all kind of lost in a haze right now, but anyway. Their first self released single, called Lovers of Today, came out around nineteen seventy seven, and it immediately became the record of the week in several major music publications. Now this led to their signing with CBS Records about a year later in nineteen seventy eight, and their next single, which We're about to Hear Another Girl, Another Planet, became the band's best known song. The song itself is widely to be believed to be a love song about heroin and not really about a girl from another planet, with lyrics like I always flirt with death, I look ill, but I don't care about it, and you get under my skin. I don't find it irritating. You always play to win, but I won't need rehabilitating. Coupled with space travel, is of course a metaphor for getting high an all song with Peter Parrott's heavy heroin addicted inflection pretty much gives it away, at least to me, but in a twenty fifteen interview, Parrot claimed that the song was not about drugs and actually had been inspired by a girl, although he also admitted that he liked writing ambiguous lyrics that could be taken in many different directions. So let's leave it up to you, the listener. So let's get ready for take off with another girl, another planet by the only ones.
Speaker 4: I always flat with deck. I look killed, but I don't care about it. I can't face your threats and stand up straightened.
Speaker 11: Toll and shout about it. I think, come on another world with you, with you. I'm on another planet with you. With you, you get under my skin. I don't find it.
Speaker 4: Ritat and y'all always played within.
Speaker 1: But I won't need me no bell.
Speaker 10: Take no no.
Speaker 3: I think, come on another world with you with you. I'm on another client with you, with you.
Speaker 11: Another girl, another planet, another girl, another packet, space.
Speaker 4: Travels in my blood. That ain't nothing I could.
Speaker 11: Do about it.
Speaker 4: Long Johnny swearing me out, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't live with that, said I know, I think I'm on another world with you, with you?
Speaker 7: So what is it? A drug?
Speaker 8: A girl?
Speaker 7: Both?
Speaker 1: Yeah, A drugged girl could never know.
Speaker 6: I don't get what it is.
Speaker 1: It's cute, which is really good.
Speaker 7: That guitar solo in the middle, I think is just brilliant. It just it just kicks that song right in yourinus, so you know it's yeah. People say, oh, punk music is very old. It's as simple as it. No, you listen to that? That that was? That was brilliant, brilliant stuff in my not so humble opinion. Now, The song was included on their self titled debut album, which the band forced along with some help from Robert Ash and some engineering by Steve Lillywhite, who was just starting out his career, and lily White, of course, would go on to become a Grammy Award winning record producer, so that may have had something to do with it. The record was well received by critics and fans, and reached number fifty six on the UK Album's Chart. Now The Only Ones released two more albums before disbanding in nineteen eighty two. Another Girl, Another Planet is often featured on box set compilations that feature punk rock and new wave music, and after being included on one such compilation in nineteen ninety one, Another Girl, Another Planet was re released as a single and reached number fifty seven on the UK Singles Chart. Now, after this resurgence of public interest, The Only Ones reformed in two thousand and seven and continued performing live through two thousand and nine. All three of their studio albums were re released with bonus tracks also in two thousand and nine, and new material was recorded, although unfortunately it's never been released because the band ceased activity after their drummer, Mike Kelly passed away in twenty seventeen, but the surviving members have reunited periodically to play live shows. Yeah, The Only Ones have been cited as an influence on many indie and alternative rock bands, and several bands have even covered Another Girl, Another Planet, such as The Replacements and Blink one two. So there you have it, folks. A little space travel from The Only.
Speaker 6: Ones excellent, I recommend. When it got to the course, I recognized it. Yeah, I've heard that one. That's good.
Speaker 7: Love that yeah, Yeah, that's you know, it's like a forgotten gem you know in my book. You know, it's like yeah, like I said, you knew it, you heard it, but yeah, wow, I haven't heard them all more time.
Speaker 6: Part of the reason I love doing this is because, you know, you rediscover things you haven't heard in so long. Exactly awesome. Thank you, Neil. All right, one more to go, Crambones. Can you tell me how to get how to get to Sesame Street?
Speaker 7: I say street? Thank you?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 6: From Uranus to Sesame Street. Oh my gosh, this episode I do.
Speaker 8: It's what we do.
Speaker 7: What I cut my micro off?
Speaker 8: I I.
Speaker 7: I can't say what I'm thinking. No, I can't.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's for the best, all right. The children's educational show was first conceived in nineteen sixty six with the unique approach of creating a truly educational show for young children. The name came from the phrase open sesame, as in opening the doors into something exciting. The show was produced by the newly formed Children's Television Workshop, which was funded by grants from the Carnegie Foundation, the Ford Foundation as in the Cars, and Corporation for Public Broadcasting money kicked in from the federal government. It launched in nineteen sixty nine and spent its first year on the National Education Television Network, which was owned by the Ford Foundation. Then it became co owned by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and that all got folded into PBS, probably the Public Broadcasting service that we are all familiar with now PBS. They put a lot of effort into the quality of the material. They used child psychologists, they used teachers, they used TV experts to make sure that they kept the quality high and that they could get their message across. The show is set in an urban setting, a city, and they made a point to include a diverse cast, which was something that was not being done at the time. They tested segments with kids and made adjustments to make sure that what they were producing was effective and again could get their message across to younger kids. The most memorable episode was in nineteen eighty three when the local shop owner mister Hooper died. If you guys may remember that the actor who played him, Will Lee, actually died in nineteen eighty two, and most shows would just either recast or write off their cast member or change the story. But instead of doing that, instead of saying he retired and moved, they actually made an episode about death that was appropriate for the young age group that they were that they were reaching for They spent a full year putting that episode together and then it aired in nineteen eighty three. Another well known episode is one that actually didn't air. Do you remember the character snuffle up Agus. It was the Willie Mammoth looking thing. Originally Big Bird was the only one that could see him. Eventually they did away with that because they felt that, you know, if kids had something to tell their parents, they wouldn't believe them, you know, because big Bird kept telling everybody that since a Philopagus was here, and the adults didn't believe him even though he really was there. So they got rid of that. Kids could actually feel like they could come forward and tell grown up stuff and actually be believed. But Snephalopicus's parents were going to get a divorce, so they put together an episode to address divorce, and they tested it showing that younger kids just couldn't wrap their heads around the concept, and instead of trying to make it work, they actually just dropped the episode altogether, which I give them credit for it. They put a lot of work into it and said this isn't working, so they actually just dropped it. In two thousand, the Children's Television Workshop was renamed Sesame Workshop. Funding was always an issue, especially for not for profits, so they started licensing merchandise and allowing short advertisements before and after the episodes. In twenty fifteen, they made an agreement with HBO where HBO could run each episode. First they pick up the majority of the bill, and then it would go over to PBS. A lot of people got upset because the idea of Sesame Street was that it was geared towards lower income urban kids, and now it was going to be shown on an expensive pay channel first, and then in twenty twenty it went to their streaming service, Max, HBO's streaming platform. I will say that for the most part, people who got upset that it went over to HBO were not being seen walking around with their PBS tote bags, so I'm guessing they didn't open up their wallets. They just complained about it afterwards. Jim Henson's muppets, of course, played a huge role still do on Sesame Street. They interact with the cast as regular people. Jim Henson died in nineteen ninety at age fifty three from toxic shock syndrome from a staff infection that he got. His best known character was, of course, Kermit the Frog, and Kermit was the only Muppet that crossed over between The Muppet Show and Sesame Street on a regular basis. The other Muppets would make you know cameo appearances, but Kermit was the only regular on both. Henson did a number of characters on Sesame Street, including Kermit. He did Guy Smiley, the game show host if you may remember that, and he did Ernie as in Burt and Ernie. Burt and Ernie are roommates. They have opposite personalities, kind of like the odd couple. You know, Burt's the straight lace guy and Ernie's kind of the dopey one. Ernie had a very popular song that's still popular, Rubber Ducky. That's probably the best known one. We all know it, even though you don't want to admit it. You know all the lyrics. Even Neil knows all the lyrics. Another song that had staying power and is still around it still pops up is I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, which was written by Jeff Moss in nineteen seventy eight. Moss also wrote rubber Ducky. He wrote I Love Trash, and he wrote the people in Your neighborhood, all songs that we know, whether we want to admit it or not. It was first recorded for the nineteen eighty Sesame Street album The People in Your Neighborhood. Then it was included in Season fifteen and nineteen eighty three. They did a new version in nineteen ninety three with guest star Aaron Neville, used Jim Henson's original vocals from nineteen eighty three and then edited in Aaron Neville to make it look like he was sitting there singing a duet with Ernie. What got me is that this is the opposite of a lot of kids songs. You know, kids songs talk about you can do anything you want, keep working at it, keep plugging away, all that kind of stuff, encouraging kids to do stuff. This one is a little more pensive. It's a little slower, a little deeper. Ernie sings that he would like to visit the moon, but he wouldn't want to live there. He could visit the depths of the ocean, but he would want to come back to his family and friends. It's a song that it's okay to not want to do stuff, not want to do everything.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: It's kind of the opposite message, and I think it's a great example of how good the material is on Sesame Street because kids get the straight shot message. You know, I don't want to live on the Moon. I want to live here with my family, And then adults kind of think about it a little bit deeper, So you got two different levels going on at the same time. I thought we would check out Ernie's version with Aaron Neville, which I think I think is excellent, except it leads off with Aaron Neville's trademark Whiny Little Eye, which just right off the bat kind of takes you out of it, but then it comes back around. So tell me what you think. Let's check out I Don't want to Live on the Moon by Ernie and Aaron Neville.
Speaker 12: Well, i'd like to visit Theule on a rocket ship high in the air.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'd like to visit the move, but I don't think i'd like to live there.
Speaker 4: Though I'd like to look down at.
Speaker 10: The Earth from above, I wouldn't miss all the places and people I love.
Speaker 12: So, although I might like it for one afternoon, I don't want to live on the Moon.
Speaker 9: I'd like to travel under the sea.
Speaker 6: I could allow fish everywhere.
Speaker 12: Yes, I travel under the sea, but I don't think i'd like to live there.
Speaker 6: I much day for a day there if I had my wish, But there's not much to do, and your friends are all fish and an oyster and clam aren't real family.
Speaker 12: So I don't want to live in the sea.
Speaker 5: I'd like to visit the jungle, hear the lion, ro go back in time and need a diy.
Speaker 12: It's so many strange places I'd like to piggy, but not I've them pur uneerly. So if I should visit the moon, well, I'll dance on a moonbeam, and then I will make a wish on a star, and I'll wish I was hold once again.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd like to look down at the throw my bove.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't miss all the places and people I love.
Speaker 12: So although I may go, I'll be coming home soon because I long to live long loop.
Speaker 6: No, I don't long to.
Speaker 4: Live on the loom.
Speaker 6: So what do you think I like it. It's kind of sweet. It kind of brings you back to your childhood. Yep. I thought it was really well done except for the Except for the whining at the top, I could have done yeah, I agree. It was kind of sweet, you know. Yeah, I thought I thought it was very well done, especially you know, you're taking recordings ten years apart combining it seamlessly, so it shows the kind of quality that they did. So Sesame Street currently has about one hundred and sixty versions around the world in seventy different languages, and they tailor each one to make it culturally appropriate, which I think is fantastic. Yeah, so all right, that is my selection. Cool complete opposite of Barber's. At the other end of the spectrum, weleete opposite of what you usually picture. I was thinking.
Speaker 5: This episode it was kind of the reverse Barbara. You kind of brought us way way, way, way, way, way way down into the gutter, and Brian did the opposite. He just kind of like just slammed it in reverse.
Speaker 6: This brought us back out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't quite know what to do now.
Speaker 6: Then I have done my job to handle this.
Speaker 7: Formed the cockles of my cold dead heart, I have to say, getting all like I was digging it excellent.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm gonna pat myself on the back then for that one. Good. All right, then that means it's time to pull the plug before I put my foot in my mouth and ruin the whole again. As always, awesome selections across the board. I think this was a really good couple of shows. I liked them, and thank you Crambones, and thank you all for joining us here on the Rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app, and be sure to check out all the other shows we do here a Hudson River Radio. There is something for everybody. We'll see you next week with another brand new episode. Until then, have a great weekend everybody, and peace out.
Speaker 3: A rock cop bottomed cram Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 6: Udsonriverradio dot com a subsidiaria of Glacier Entertainment LLC. Potentially successful. It's a multi hundred dollar corporation.