Speaker 1: Spider Man with a big bounce at the box office. Oh what he weaves is unbelievable. And it's only the first weekend. Meanwhile, we got Major League Baseball and trades. What are some of the big ones. We're gonna talk about it in the man Cave. I'm Kate Delany. But right at the top we swing into the rundown. Yeah, so here we go on at n the story that a lot of people are talking about because it's so sad, and it's one of those Oh man, you gotta be kidding, because I take my family and we go and get a burger over the weekend or tacos or whatever. We go too fast food, and the kids want this and they want that. Well. In and Out was highly anticipated in Twin Falls, Idaho, and it only open a week before it turned into another ugly, ugly, ugly scene of unfortunately gun violence.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, it was a shooting that happened on Saturday at two point thirty in the afternoon, and among the victims killed was an In and Out employee. Company owner and president Lindsey Snyder announced that in a statement and said, you know, just she was so sad and her heart was broken for anybody involved in that whatsoever. The nine to one one dispatchers could hear screaming in the background as they were fielding calls from people reporting gunshots just before that two thirty time, I said on Saturday, and the area was a commercial area that's super busy, lots and lots of tourists, lots of locals. And you see the video of it. You see video that was captured from cars and other SUVs and whatnot that were driving by, and you see you see that there is a suspect. There's someone shooting a gun outside the restaurant, and then there's somebody going after him. And the good news there is that was a person who now they're calling a hero because he saved a lot of people by being able to pull his gun out and pursue him. Ultimately, the shooter took his own life. But boy, oh boy, did that end up with people fleeing in all kinds of directions. There's a lot of question marks as to what was the deal with twenty four year old Chad Williams, who died of this self inflicted gunshot wound. But there's three people that were killed, seven others were injured in that melee that he caused. And here's how one person described what he saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say he definitely distracted the shooter from shooting more people. The shooter was solely focused on him and allowed us to get out.
Speaker 4: I mean the car director ahead of me was getting shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the scene at this brand new in and out in Twin Falls, you know, was like any other where you would see, Oh there's new you know, there's balloons, there's new things, and it's customers then end up screaming and diving from their seats and barricading themselves into the restaurant. I mean, you get it. You know, I'm giving you the description here. You understand what I'm saying. But just a terrible thing that happened, for sure. Meanwhile, you had other people that were fleeing fires in lots of different parts of the country, but Washington State is being talked about a lot now because it is a definite state of emergency where you have hundreds of structures that have just been destroyed flatten, and you have at least sixty thousand people evacuated. You have three major wildfires in Spokane. No injuries or deaths have been confirmed, so that's good. They haven't fully assessed everything. Not even five percent contain more than seven thousand acres now totally burned. Communities are just devastated, right they You got some people that have been able to return to burned out areas and they're you know, people are anxious because they want to go back into their neighborhoods to see what's left and hoping upon hope that there is something there. Fifteen major fires have burned more than two hundred and fifty thousand acres across Washington. The Pacific Northwest is facing its worst fire season in more than thirty years. Thirty years. You got firefighters from all overcoming to help so far, like four thousand firefighters. Wow, wow, all right, fire of a different sort, the war with Iran. Will that be put out anytime soon? The President called off what he said was going to be one of the biggest strikes of this whole effort because he was going to move in a diplomatic a diplomatic state instead after talking to the Crown Prince Ben Solomon, who pushed for de escalation. No strikes were reported from either group Iran or from the US overnight, and you know, into Sunday and Sunday into to Monday. So you know, we've seen the economic collapse of the initial US Iran ceasefire, and now what are we going to see with these negotiations that are resuming. The Iran state media gave no indication that Tehran asked for the attack to be called off or has changed its stands on the waterway, which of course is the Strait of Hormus. It was part of the Sunday SWIRLD. That's what I call the talking heads that are on cable and on networks to talk about apolos of the day, usually people on the hill. Here's Republican Congressman from Ohio, Mike Turner on Iran.
Speaker 6: Iran is in a position where they're going to have to come to a table, whether it's economics, where it's energy production, whether it's the loss of critical infrastructure, military infrastructure, the loss of their military capabilities. All metrics would show a declining capability to continue. They're going to have to be in a position where ultimately they're going to have to concede to the opening of the straits and returning to commerce.
Speaker 1: All right, So in the meantime, echoing kind of the same thing, but saying, you know, don't lift any sanctions. Louisiana Republican Senator John Kerry says this needs to happen with Iran.
Speaker 7: I'm always willing to give piece a chance. Respectfully, I would remind President Trump of three things. Number One, the only reason they're ron is coming to the table, if indeed they are, is because Israel and the United States of America have have torn them a new ashtray. Number Two, no deal is just fine, not preferred, but not preferable, but it's fine. A bad deal isn't. Number Three, he has to remember that the Iranian government learned to lie before they learn to talk, and they're more than mildly insane. Dealing with them is like dealing with Son of Sam or Charles Manson. Whatever he does, do not release the sanctions stopping their sale of oil or remove the blockade until we see Ron take firm actions to open the strike.
Speaker 1: Spider Man brand New Day has its second biggest opening weekend ever with three hundred and fifty five million in ticket sales, so second biggest domestic debut of all time according to the Studio Estimates. Only Trails Avengers Endgame, which was in twenty nineteen and it opened with three hundred and fifty seven million, So how about that. That's big and it's only in its first week. Spider Man brand New Day and for Sony Pictures their biggest opening weekend in its history. All right, coming up, there was some history made. We're gonna talk about it in the man Cave.
Speaker 8: Carla Mauri here to tell you about our newest website for old time radio lovers. It's one hundred Radio Shows dot com. At this site there are five old time radio show is waiting for you to download free as our gift to you, and be sure to browse the additional seven hundred old time radio shows available to you for seventy percent bock by using the promo code radio at checkout. This is a limited time offer, so log down to one hundred radio shows dot com. That's one zero zero radio shows dot com.
Speaker 9: At Hotshot Secret, we share the science behind common diesel problems, for example, fuel additives. Most fuel additives either impact performance or provide protection. Hotshot Secret. Everyday Diesel Treatment provides both performance enhancement and fuel system protection. Everyday Diesel Treatment delivers a six to one premium fuel treatment for every fill up, every time.
Speaker 4: Every day. Diesel treatment is available at truck stops, tractor Supply, O'Reilly's Autoparts, and online at hotshotsecret dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is brand along with Sherry here and so you hear me doing these spots for metas Share, and Sherry actually helps me with them. I get people actually in person say, Okay, Brent, for real do you recommend this?
Speaker 10: Like, yeah, for real, I actually do.
Speaker 3: I'm not just saying stuff. Family friends ask me about it.
Speaker 10: I'm like, yes, you should look into this. It's really a great option for a lot of people.
Speaker 11: That's what I tell people. My experience has been Meta share has been fantastic for me. It's so different from health insurance in a lot of great ways.
Speaker 12: Honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of people who've switched tell me that it's the same reaction. They're very, very happy with it, and it gives them peace of mind and saves them a lot of money.
Speaker 11: I would tell people look into it, yep.
Speaker 3: So really, for reals, if you want to talk to them, they're great to talk to you. I think you'll be impressed and happy you looked into it. So you do the phone number I'm actually tired.
Speaker 4: Of doing all the phone numbers.
Speaker 11: Okay, call now eight five five share forty. That's eight five five s h A r E forty eight five five share forty.
Speaker 12: Nice job.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 13: Finding great candidates to hire can be like well trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 12: That's right free, The smartest way to hire. Just go to this exclusive web address ZipRecruiter dot com slash free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free, ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 14: In a study, it was found that thirty three percent of forty four herbal supplements had no trace of the advertised herb. Don't let that happen to you, Hi, this is doctor Mitche. If you want to ensure quality, please go to Total Wellness dot Com. Supplements made for physicians only now available to you too. Total wellness dot Com. Helping you to look good, feel good, and enjoy total wellness.
Speaker 7: Going to the man cave, going to the cave, going to the caves.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, we are in the man Cave. And there's a lot of conversation last minute Major league you know, Baseball trades that are happening. You got all this trading deadline that's in the face of everybody. So some of the big moves that happened, and some of the big winners. Of course the Dodgers, I mean, yeah, they won the twenty twenty six trade deadline. I think most people would say that a blockbuster trade with the Tigers for ace left hander in two time defending American League Cy Young winner Trek Scuball. You know, that's he, no doubt is the top talent that moved leading up to the August their deadline. I mean, talk about a talented roster that they haven't in the Dodgers, and now there he is. And and of course the Tigers with a disappointing season, but they still could maybe make the postseason. Anyway, it was a four player trade. And now you think about that and just again, how much this pitching way in And of course the the answer is heavily, heavily right. And and people are cynical about the Dodgers and or they love the Dodgers because it could be a three peat for them. Oh and then there were some other moves that that happened too. The Rays were hoping they were gonna get scooball and they didn't, and so they missed out because they that's what the Rays needed too, as did so many other teams. But they did acquire right Freddie Peralta in a trade with the Mets. He's going to be a free agent after the season, and he was a candidate to be to be moved for sure. He did have a rough go of it with the Mets after he came over from the Brewers in an off season trade. So what kind of what kind of punch can he add?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: That being said, as he's had some rougher years. He finished fifth in the nl CY Young Voting in twenty twenty five, and he's pretty healthy of multiple starts and that kind of thing. So I don't know, I think he it could be a good fit for him. It's the race had to make a move. They needed to make some sort of move, so they they did do that. I don't think it's it's a bad move. If he gets one or two pitches, especially his breaking ball right, the command over that, then he'll he'll end up helping helping the Rais with what they with what they need. I mean, that's just a couple of moves. There were all kinds of other things that happened too, because we still have the trading deadline, right, so the third is the deadline Monday, August third, So there still is some last minute things that could happen six pm. And we'll have all of that for you because there are still teams that could make a move, and there's still and there's teams that definitely did make a move. All right, let's get you some Major League Baseball action. How about some scores, Like for the people listening exactly in Saint Saint Louis, I have good news for you KLIS listeners. The Cardinals pull off a nice big one. It's on the road, though, but who cares. You're watching at home, right, And here's how they helped to bury toront So even more.
Speaker 5: And the basin is going to give the Cardinals two more runs, so instead of being two to one going to the bottom of the night, it is now five to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and five to one would be the final score, so they avoid the sweep. So that's nice. That's a that's big. Saint Louis won for the fifth time in seventeen games since the All Star breaks. You needed that news, so that's so that's good, especially because the Blue Jays closer is so tough to get anything from. That's so that's again the good news there. And then you just move on from that because the Cardinals now move on to the Yankees. And speaking of the Yankees, the Yankees and the this was a very tight game. But take a listen, drill.
Speaker 13: Left center beata that one fact and that one is God.
Speaker 5: Caby arrow on loads.
Speaker 13: And that was it.
Speaker 1: Cabrierra with the two run jack, because the Yankees beat the Cubs to one, right, so with a trio of relievers they got three and a third scoreless innings that they needed, meaning the meaning the Yankees did, and the Yankees beat the Cubs. So now they move on, of course. But Cabylero, he added a single, he ended an eighteen game drought without going deep. And the one that you just heard, four hundred and eight foot drive against the win to left center in the third, which gave them that two jolt. All right, Other baseball scores that I'm gonna mention here. I know we also have Brewers fans that are listening to this show. Sorry to tell you. They were shut out the Angels three zip in Anaheim. Hey, the pitching was just too much, you know, sometimes you run up against it. And Urina pitched three hit ball over six innings, and Wade Meckler made the big difference with a two run homer, and the Angels just had the Brewers number. And so now the the Brewers will face the Pirates Monday in Milwaukee. And of course the Brewers are not out of this thing. The Brewers are in the thick of it. Sixty nine and forty two on the season, they've had some really good series. Tigers shut down the A's eleven nothing, the Red Sox and the Dodgers. Speaking of the Dodgers, eight four was the final there, the Red Sox winning it in Los Angeles. And what happened there is Rafaelo homeward for the third straight game, and the Red Sox were the better for that, right and and so the Red Sox added a bunch of runs in the eighth inning on a wild pitch and a past ball. So it's like the Dodgers were just giving it to them, and the Red Sox now open a three game series at home against the Chicago White Sox. The Dodgers have the Cubs on Monday night. Gots rifle through some more scores. This is a to me, I know I've said this before dog days. Uh to me, it's not the dog Days to this is you got to pick these updates. And then you got a fisher cut bait because of the trading deadline. We know, the padresknock off the Giants five to four. The Rockies and the Royals in this one at course Field. The Rockies took full advantage of home field. They haven't had much to cheer about. Neither of the Royals really. Eight one was your final in the books. The Reds ten, the Pirates two. Astros knockoff the Rangers seven three. The Diamondbacks smothered by the Guardians, couldn't get anything on the board. So Cleveland wins that one, five zip. And again you know, Gavin Williams allowed one hit in five and two third innings, struck out ten. And when you get that kind of pitching and you're just you're caught looking and all kinds of things a Chase de latter drove in three and so had a hot game, and that was all she wrote. Couldn't get anything happening, So the Guardians continued their home stand against the Mets. Diamondbacks return to face return home to face San Diego in a four game series that starts on Monday. So get ready for that if you're in Arizona right good, it's a warm time to see a ball game. But hydrate, hydrate beforehand. Phillies shut out the Orioles for their fifty ninth win out at Camping Yards eight nothing, and the Braves bettered the Nationals, picking up number sixty seven on the year with a four to two win. So you're up to date. You're up to date with the scores heading into a Monday. Meanwhile, it's all about training camp really when we talk about football and you look at the injuries, and I'm telling you, the injuries are what's so frightening for some of the rookie players that sometimes can find themselves in that situation and or just carrying over an injury like Ricky Pearsol's injury. The forty nine ers one of the star receivers. He's got to go. He's gotta get season ending surgery on the PCL right, and that's.
Speaker 7: That they know.
Speaker 1: They looked at it and there's just nothing else you could do. He has to have it. It's been bugging him since the twenty twenty five seasons. He's gonna miss six to twelve months. He got that injury and a loss to the Jags in week four of the twenty five season. He missed like all our parts of ten games last year. He's got to be disappointed, all right, hang with us, meet you on the flip.
Speaker 13: On the show. Off the corner, she asked, still.
Speaker 1: This time on author's corner. This book to me is revolutionary in a sense and so important. And the name of the book is called Behind This Smile Healing from Abuse, Trauma and Betrayal, and it's written by John Sternfells, who is you know, a guy who's a therapist who's worked with so many people in his career, and having these off air conversation with him, I realize just what he did with and for this this woman, and this is Melissa Roberts. Will call her and she tells just the unvarnished truth of her story, the things that happened to her. So John, we're thrilled to have you here on author's Corner with me Kate Delaney on America Tonight. Thanks for sharing this story.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, I appreciate Kate that you invited me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about, you know, Melissa when she first came to you, and the things that she had gone through, starting from her family life, which she starts with obviously in the beginning, with the alcoholic father and all kinds of craziness that happened in that dysfunctional household.
Speaker 15: Sure, so you know, when somebody comes in, they're nervous and they don't know if they should go into the whole story or not. And so over time, when the client is able to feel comfortable and safe, they start to unpeel all the history that they've been going through. And it just blew me away as she was explaining more and more of her childhood life, how traumatic and how abusive, neglected, and it's just unbelievable. And so what brought her in initially was because there was disturbance in her marriage and it turned out to be a sexual addiction that the husband had. But then we started peeling back, going to her childhood trauma and oh my gosh, it is crazy, and so I thought might be good is to kind of for the listeners to get a little handle on the background of childhood abuse neglect. There are approximately three million cases of child abuse and neglect in our country, and that's just what's being reported. Estimates show that there's two more for everyone being reported that's not being reported. That's about a sixty seven percent increase. And out of the ones that are being reported, seventy four percent are victims of neglect. These are children, seventeen percent are physically abused, eleven percent are sexually abused, and seven percent are psychologically mistreated. An astounding seventy percent of the abusers are parents. What was really interesting one of the editors that I hired independently, she read the book and she called me up and she is crying. She goes, I got to meet Melissa. I can so relate to this. In course, my heart's sunk, because, oh my gosh, this is just someone you know out there doing the editing, and it touched her life right exactly.
Speaker 1: And when it took six years, you worked with her for six years. When you would unpack all of this, did you say to yourself, I wonder if she's going to come back next week.
Speaker 15: That is a valid point and a concern is because you've got to be careful of how you navigate all this trauma that someone's been experiencing, because it could be way too much to handle. So you just have to learn that the needle and thread, where you can go and where you can't go. It all depends on where the client's allowing you to go. So it's really about at their pace. And yet as working with trauma is helping them to overcome the resistance or the fear of addressing the issues because it's much safer just to ignore it and try to move on with life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in telling the stories, talking about the needle and thread and what you were doing there and the editor story is really interesting because look at how that affected somebody in a way that who would have thought that? And is this why you wanted it out there because you knew that her story was not at least parts of it certainly were not unique.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's good to ask. And so in working with Melissa, it became very apparent that this story needs to get out there to the public. A lot of people are living in shame, embarrassment, or just simply hopelessness. And so the book was really written out of a desire to bring awareness and understanding, healing and hope to the population. There's a lot of pain and abuse in the trauma. And so again sitting across from whether it be women or men, different walks of life, everyone's been affected by some sort or type of trauma and they hide in the anguish Behind the smile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the perfect name for the book, Behind the Smile, because people don't know what when you're encountering people, what their past is, right, and so to even get to your door, it takes a serious, big step in people's lives, and certainly in this woman's life.
Speaker 15: Yeah. What I found, and this is just a broad brush approach to it, is that there are pain points, and sometimes people's pain points become so severe their last resort is to come in to get help versus their first resort. I'm in pain, I don't want to live with this, I want to heal, and so you know, welcoming those that come in right away, but we also know there's a great population that are just living in that anguish, and that's a resolve of that's what life is to be for them, but that's not true, doesn't have to be.
Speaker 1: Wow, tell us more about the book Behind the Smile.
Speaker 15: Behind the Smile is really a live account of Melissa's childhood from the very beginning, chronologically going through the different ages and development stages of her life, and it really is a raw view of things that she experienced to abuse, neglect, and trauma, And so for the reader's Melissa's opening up her life very transparently, nothing held back, and you're seeing a journey from a little girl that was a bed wedding as a result of trauma and no one paying attention, growing up being abused, get into her adult life relationships even with a pastor being abused, and then her healing journey of breaking free of all that and having a freedom. No but he would ever expect that would happen, and she's remarried today. Personally, we are friends and we hang together, do life together, we do Bible study together. And it's just remarkable because if you just met her for the first time, she would just be normal with a smile, right, But knowing the background of her and seeing who she is today is remarkable. Who would have thunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who would have thunk? For you as a therapist, it has to be so rewarding that first of all, you could put this together, you were able to work together through that, and then you've got it out there in the world. But it has to be also rewarding when you know you got another one through with that needle and thread.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you know the paycheck. The paycheck is really seeing a person's life change and you go to bed, you wake up and someone's life has changed.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Does this give you hope that maybe, and this is what I think putting it out there, people who are afraid maybe to get help will take that step and get some help.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's very inspirational and also it's effective that in reading somebody else's stories, some type of connection can bring someone into therapy and get help. And so it's an influence. They're not alone out there, they don't have to hide, and just reading that story, maybe it's a loved one that someone knows and can help them come in to get therapy, just to inspire and to know whoever's suffering, they're not alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When you started as a therapist, did you think your journey would lead you to what you're doing now, not even close.
Speaker 15: I started as a marital therapist, and it became apparent that there's other issues within the marriage that I was not trained or experienced in discovering and helping. And I just felt a strong sense that I needed to understand what else is going on. And to make a longer story short is, I got introduced to this area called sexual addiction porn addiction, and that led me a direction to work with addicts in the marriage and to help the marriage heal. And then that led me into, well, there's two people in a marriage, and so we have the partner, the wife in this case, not gender specific, but she needed help, and so I searched for organizations that specialized in partner trauma care. And so that just led in the whole different trajectory. And so now working with the husband who has sexual problems, working with a wife who's been traumatized by his sexual problems, and then utilizing a marital therapy that can help both of them with the bigger dynamics that's at place. And so it just evolved nothing that I did, I think first as a Christian therapist, I just think God just led me in that direction.
Speaker 1: And again the name of the book is Healing from Abuse, Trauma and Betrayaled Behind the Smile, John Sternfelds with Melissa Roberts, and you've already said this, but what do you hope people take away from our conversation? And then ultimately I hope getting your book, which they can get on Amazon. And of course you have a website too.
Speaker 15: Sure yeah, Johnsternfels dot com. But any major book store retailer you can pick up the book. It's available in all formats, even audio. What we want the book to be able to produce is someone reading it, getting hope, being encouraged. Don't give up. It is hard work, but nonetheless, healing can take place. And Melissa's story is a testament even at the worst of worst or the hardest of all, Melissa came through it. And if she can do it, I know anybody else can.
Speaker 1: Perfect place to end this, John, thank you so much, my pleasure go to Johnsternfells dot com. You can get a Partner's Guide to Truth and Healing. You can get download for Parents, Sex, Social Media and Secrets, Sex, secular, Relativism, Culture Biblical. That's another book, Sex Across the perspectives again Johnsternfells dot com plus the book we just talked about Behind the Smile Healing from Abuse, Trauma and Betrayal, and he's got a podcast too as well. The podcast is so good and so relatable North Point Counseling Perspectives Podcasts. You can find the links there. Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 10: Let's see if something costs less but people are happier with it. That sounds like something to look into, and that is meta share. Maybe you've heard switching to meta share to pay for healthcare can save many families up to five hundred bucks a month, and that is huge, but it's also true that people are way more satisfied after making the switch too. My first satisfaction rate for meta share is double that of the typical health insurance plan.
Speaker 13: Double.
Speaker 10: Meta share works too. It's been around for thirty years. Members have shared more than five billion dollars of each other's bills. People love having telehealth and a huge nationwide PPO network. So yeah, really, you can save a ton and like it better. Imagine being happy with how you're taking care of your healthcare. So if you're self employed or part of the gig economy or you just want to plan you're happy with. You can call right now. You'll get a price within two minutes, so see what you can say. This is a very very smart use of two minutes. Here's the number you need call eight five five share forty. That's eight five five share forty eight five five share forty.
Speaker 16: Lisa Wolfiere to tell you about our newest website for old time radio lovers. It's one hundred Radio Shows dot com. At this site there are five old time radio shows waiting for you to download free. Is our gift to you, and be sure to browse the additional seven hundred old time radio shows available to you for seventy percent off by using the promo code radio at checkout. This is a limited time offer, so log on to one hundred Radio Shows dot com. That's one zero zero radio shows dot com.
Speaker 9: At Hotshot Secret, we share the science behind common diesel problems. For example, sticktion engine oil can break down under extreme heat, leaving behind varnish, a carbon based deposit that creates drag on the engines moving parts. This sticky friction is stiiction. Symptoms include a rough idol and the loss of fuel economy and performance. Hotshot Secret Stiction Eliminator is formulated to be left in the engine. It works as you drive.
Speaker 4: Stiction Eliminator is available at truck Stops, Tractor Supply, Riley's Autoparts, and online at Hotshotsecret dot com.
Speaker 17: Crime across the country is at an all time high. It feels like even a family road trip is taking a risk. We don't want the feeling of being unprotected and vulnerable. We found GETCCL dot com. Getccl dot com gave us the help we needed to apply for a legal concealed carry permit that's recognized in over half of the country. Get ccl dot com simplifies the process to apply and it's all online. We used their free qualification process to answer a few questions and applied for our permit right from home. Thanks to reciprocty laws between states, when you're issued a new Hampshire concealed Carry permit, you can legally carry in any state that recognizes your new Hampshire permit. It only takes minutes to apply, so don't wait. Exercise your rights today. Ensure you're protecting your family at home and in other states. Have peace of mind. Apply today. Go to get CCL dot com. That's get CCL dot com. Go to get CCL dot com. Exercise your rights today, go to get CCL dot com.
Speaker 16: On the show off this coloner see asked about the books they owe.
Speaker 1: So we're speaking with Reverend Pat Baranski, and again the name of the book is The Simplicity of Faith. Part one Detroit, Michigan, Michigan to Watertown and Reverend you and I talked about this off the air. We talked about your growing up and the lessons you learned from your father. Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, Uh, I'm going to have sessions with you on Saturdays, and uh, if you want a good life, you listen to what I tell you and uh find out what people need. So I did, and I ended up having my own business. I sold bait, I caught bait and I sold it, and I cut lawns and I picked up pears and uh whatever I could help neighbors with and they'd pay me and tell me to come back, and uh so I did and saved money and used it wisely. And I wasn't like the other people that were so prejudiced that would stop me from coming because I didn't happen to be German, and so the people on the next block were uh, British and European.
Speaker 18: And I got along good with him, and I found out.
Speaker 2: Things in the community that I could do to help people, and they liked the way I did it, and they'd pay me.
Speaker 1: And your dad had a nickname for you, he called him. He called you my little entrepreneur, didn't he? Yep, Oh, I love that just because he That's exactly what he instilled in you. And then the fact that also you could deal with so many people, which makes sense when we talk about your book, The Simplicity of Faith, Part one, Detroit, Michigan to Watertown is how did that journey start for you? The rev becoming a reverend?
Speaker 18: Well, I.
Speaker 2: When I was in high school for what about three semesters, this girl ended up sitting in front of me because they would set the kids up alphabetically or something like that, and she had beautiful hair, and she was always inviting me to church. And I think I mentioned it in the book. But anyway, the church that I came to, Christ said back then you could put your side as close as you could get it to the road, and they'd put it on both sides. So I'd see it twice a day. I saw it six times. There's one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus. So I told my wife about it. I said, I'm going to check this church out.
Speaker 18: So I went.
Speaker 2: After seeing that for a week, I went to the church and he gave an altar call to come and accept Christ. I stood up and I looked across the aisle and there was this girl that kept telling me when I was in high school. She was praying for me. So I put my coat up so she couldn't see my face as I walked forward to accept Christ, and I did. I came back and I told my father and he says, that's a good thing. And my mother got hostile and blamed it on my wife. My wife was on the lane ending at a stairway carrying one of the kids, and she took her shoe off and was going to hit my wife, and I grabbed her arm so she couldn't hit ruby. And my dad looked at my mother and said, you had that coming.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for your family too. For the background, so people know, I mean in your household, your mom was Catholic and your father was Jewish, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And on the day that the priest was going to confirm me, my father grabbed his arm and that didn't go well with my mother.
Speaker 18: But you know, that's just the way it was. I was just a kid being there in the middle of their squabble. Again, no, no, we got you.
Speaker 1: And so again the reverend. It's so interesting to hear how that all happened. And what's interesting is some of what happened in the journey along the way, like your relationship with the Green Bay Packers. Tell us about that.
Speaker 18: Oh well, that was after.
Speaker 2: I had come to Christ and we moved to Wisconsin and we lived on a farm there because I stood for my faith and there was only one hundred and thirty eight people in that little town, and they were all Catholics, so they were kind of gostile towards me. And I was a packer fan, and I went to work at the canry. And when I was working at the canry, I met some of the Green Bay Packers and they invited me to their prayer meeting, and.
Speaker 18: So I went from the.
Speaker 2: Canry down to the college, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I went to Central Seminary No Maranatha, Yeah, yeah, I went to Maranatha Church and then after that I went to Central Seminary.
Speaker 18: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it has been an interesting life. And how you were called and you knew and did you find your way and just you know, get better and relate to people as you went along, no matter where it was that.
Speaker 18: You lived pretty much. Yeah, yeah, because well tell her about your navy, your duty. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, when I tried to join the Navy, and I fell asleep and didn't pass the test, so they told me to uh, well, uh, I don't know, you can come back try again. So what I did is I joined the Guard Army National Guard, and I got sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky, and they were filming Goldfinger when I was there.
Speaker 18: And I came back and let's see, I had joined the Navy.
Speaker 2: And I passed the test that time, and I had two weeks of terminology training learning the difference between Army and Navy, and then.
Speaker 18: Six weeks of mail handling.
Speaker 2: And somewhere along the line when I came back, I went to the place where I used to There was a dance hall on one end and a pool haul the other. I used to go there to shoot pool little town, and I went in there and I saw this young lady that was sweeping the floor and I sat.
Speaker 18: So I went over there and I asked her if she wanted to dance with me. She put her.
Speaker 2: Proof down and I went over and put a diamond a jukebox and I hit an old popular song. Then going to the chapel, and that's where I met my wife.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that story. That's how you met Ruby. Wow, that's a great story. When people read your book, The Simplicity of Faith Part one Detroit, Michigan to Watertown, what do you hope they take away.
Speaker 2: The simplicity of faith, which is what all the writing was about coming to Christ and how it changed my life where I became closer to my father and my mother became hostile, and.
Speaker 18: I grew spiritually and to get.
Speaker 2: And we prayed things through and everything we did so we do the right thing at the right time and the right way.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, that's a perfect place to end this. Reverend Baranski, get this book. It is powerful and this story, I mean, the simplicity, the lines through it and just what we talked about there, you'll get that real glimpse of it for sure. Reverend thanks for coming on. Okay, Wow, the story of the Reverend Pat Baranski's life and where it led him as incredible. He's got the first book too. You can get that The Simplicity of Faith Part one Detroit, Michigan to Watertown, Wisconsin. This story will just make you tear up. But where it ended up incredible. Their daughter Michelle nicknamed Nicky, paralyzed at eighteen years old. It was just a year and a half ago she died. What do we feel for the Baranskis, But this book was powerful. It led to them starting a company independence. Plus they helped so many people. They have one hundred employees at it in Minnesota, all over the place, and what a gem. As they told me, their son in law David was through everything and just absolutely loved their daughter Micky. But Mickey was one of the reasons where they ended up where they ended up in the Simplicity of Faith. So you can get both of those terrific books on Amazon or wherever great books are sold. For a song, my friends, and we thank them for coming on.