Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are get off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or turning off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All right? You made it, ladies and gentlemen. It is the weekend. I mean not yet maybe for some, but it's a Friday, and we've got a big weekend on hand here in Louisville, and I'm certainly excited about it. Another beautiful day. I'm not sure we've had. I mean, I guess last week. Of course, it was terrible with just a ton of rain that just never seemed to end, that led to Louder than Life having basically a day off, just a gross weekend. But yet we've we've kind of bounced back here with the beautiful week of weather and should be a beautiful day tomorrow. So the vibes are strong as we get a Friday editions audition started here at Disc Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm I'm a little thrown off here. I made the mistake. I did literally just walk in maybe four minutes ago. Not because you know, I mean, we're ready to rock and roll today, but I you know, I had some arionster run and whatnot, so I got here not in time to check every level of every you know, everything on this board in front of me and my I mean, I don't know why. It's one thing to listen to, like if you're talking John, or if you're listening to sound or if it's a caller, Like I get why you may want to have that really loud. But what I don't get, And you have the ability to control it too, by the way, those who don't know, and you probably wouldn't unless you've you know, worked on a worked in a studio like this, with a board like this, I can hear there's there's one specific I guess knob here that controls how loud I am in my own headphones, and I like to keep that just loud enough to where like I can hear it, but I don't want it loud. Yes, that is how I am. Yeah, because then it distracts me. It's like, why are you yelling? Why do you you know? Like it just it throws me off. But Scott Fitzgerald and Shannon the dude, they they really like to hear themselves up loud and it and it threw me off there.
Speaker 2: I think everybody in the studio except us is maybe legally deaf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could be, I mean, because it seems like we're the only people who keep the boards quiet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's not a lie either, I don't think. Yeah, I mean, I the one person I know, and I don't I've not I don't think I've ever followed him, meaning I come on after him. But Vanetti's like, and he's he's got to have it full blast, and he is I think. I mean again, I don't know if he's got diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure he is deaf. Shannon's probably close to it. Scott, I don't know, but he was the last one in here and it was it was up really loud. So now as we are three minutes in, I feel like I'm actually getting the party started here. It's coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us as we get you set for a big weekend starts tonight Louisville Live. Really looking forward to getting out there to the KFC. You'm center bringing the family, Not that any of you care, but this is the perfect event for little kids that don't quite have the patience to like watch a full game, although my son probably would, but you know, he'd be asking me questions every five seconds. He probably will tonight. He's at that stage where everything's a question, like why is that car going that way? I don't know, son, And I've had so many moments where I'm like, I have to tell him, like, you don't have to ask questions, but then I don't have the heart to do that. But it tonight's not about figuring out if louls any good or not right. It's about just tipping the season off, the first event really of the Pat Kelsey era, and I expect there to be a pretty good crowd there. They're gonna do not only a three point shootout, They're going to do a dunk contest. They're also going to introduce all the players who knows who knows who's going to be there. As far as former players, I mean, I don't I don't think we're expecting some surprise celebrity like Jack Harlow or Donovan Mitchell who've made appearances before. But you really never know when it comes to who may who may show up. And then they're also going to do like a three on three, but it'll be with some members of the women's team and the men's team, which should be kind of fun. So look, it's a party and I'm looking forward to partying. So yeah, it starts to day o'clock. But there has been a lot of talk about the game the event because it's not a game, but the event not being streamed live. And you know, I don't usually go of my way to like because I don't feel the need to, and I don't really you know, like I'm not someone in a position now where I feel like I need to defend the folks that work for the U of l Athletic administration. There was a time where it was kind of you know, part of this, but I actually think it's insane with some of the things that people complain about and like blame u of L for and this will be live only in person, so like, if you want to watch it live, you got to be there. It will be available on ACC Network Extra, which of course is streaming, which I believe it's been on ACC Network Extra before in previous years live, but I don't know. I mean, I don't know that for certain. I don't think when they did it at Slugger was it was available to watch live. But I really don't know. It's kind of checked out then, as you could expect. But nonetheless, you can watch it after the fact, and that's what everybody's complaining about, Like u of L the official athletics department Twitter account, the UFO men's basketball Twitter account, like when you see them promoting it, you'll find at least a few responses from mostly you know, anonymous trolls on the internet, just bitching about it not being live to watch. And I mean, I get it if you don't live here and you don't have the ability to go, but you'll still be able to watch it after the fact. And of all things to complain about as far as it not being on TV, what are you worried about missing live? It's not a game you're not gonna You're not gonna turn on the TV and oh man, I saw the score. Now there's no there's no point in watching. I already know who. Like, it's not a game, it's an event. And even if you knew who won the dunk contest or the three point shootout, I mean, I feel like you still want to watch it because it's not about like just winning, It's about how it looked, especially the dunk contest. So again, I'm not trying to be, you know, a company man, because I have no official affiliation with U of L in any way, we're no longer partners with them at all. But like that that is I mean, you know, I think everybody at this day and age understands that people are gonna complain about anything whenever they get an opportunity. You're never gonna make everybody happy. But like it just really it really irritated me to see, you know, and it wasn't as if like the entire but like people who I know that like live in Louisville that like could go are bitching about how why is it not live? Well, I mean and I don't honestly know why it's not live. I mean I have no clue. I don't know if it's because they don't have like the like you got to keep in mind, the ACC owns u of l's broadcast rights, so that's why it's gonna be on the ACC Network Extra. So that tells me that, like if they wanted to put it on the field, uh not the field of sixty eight. That's a That's why did I say that? Floyd Street It's what is it? Floyd Street's Finest?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 5: No, that sounds like something. It's something Floyd Street, Floyd Street Media. Yeah, Floyd Street Media. Floyd Street's Finest is Jeff Career's old old podcast. But Floyd Street's Finest not the name Floyd Street Media is the name apologies there. That's the media company that is essentially part of five O two Circle. If you remember, they're the ones who did a live YouTube stream for the games in the Bahamas. My guess is that one of two things, because this is actually you know, part of this is an event that is taking place at the KFC Young Center, and it's you know, it's actually on the schedule that kind of stuff. Like maybe they wouldn't have the ability to do that because believe it or not. They are kind of an outside I mean, they're affiliated, but they're not, if you know what I mean. Right, Like five O two Circle clearly is affiliated with u of L, but like it's it's a different company essentially, So maybe they didn't have the ability to do that, or they just realize, Hey, for what this is, we really need to make sure that you know the broadcast quality, rather it be recording it for broadcast or streaming it live, Like we need to make sure we've got you know, we've got a full crew that can make sure it looks good even if it's for after the fact it's not live.
Speaker 3: So again, like you also have to keep in mind that they're also having a volleyball game tonight at ellen And Arena on campus. And I'm sure when it comes to people who work for Jeremy nos Crewe, who you know, the u of L broadcast production team, you know that that studio that was that was put in whenever u of L joined the ACC part of a requirement, Like they've got a big team that helps you know a lot of the you know, a lot of the sports that you don't watch. Probably you don't even realize it, but they are on like ESPN Plus and or the ACC Network Extra, and the people who you know work the production to help make that available live, they they work for U of L. So like, there's probably not as many resources on hand tonight to get this thing live out there, But again, just go and if you can't go, so I wouldn't be shocked if within an hour after it's over. Don't quote me on this because I have no clue, but like I bet this will probably be up for you to watch relatively quickly after it ends.
Speaker 2: So it is kind of funny that it's called Louisville Live and it won't be live.
Speaker 3: Well Louisville Live. It's Louisville Live at the Yump Center, So you've got to get your ask there to watch it live.
Speaker 1: I do get why they're doing it.
Speaker 3: They want to lot didn't mean it's on TV. Love just means it's live, like you know. So anyways, that'll be tonight at eight o'clock, and then of course tomorrow, I mean tomorrow is a is a big day and I have absolutely I mean, I'm right on schedule when it comes to game week Monday, I'm just bitter and still just puzzled about what happened at South Bend more so than any other laws just because sometimes you're losing. You know, hey, we just we came out and we played a team that's a lot better than us, and that happens. We all know, we don't need to revisit it. But Saturday was not that. Saturday was a game more so where like, what the hell happened? Like we should be like, can we just stop hurting ourselves and we might win the game? So that lingered longer than it usually does, so like by Tuesday, I was still kind of bitter about it, but starting to turn the paged SMU, realizing the momentum they have, realizing that they've really turned their season around. And really that's probably an exaggeration to say they turned their season around. They were unimpressive, but yet they won against Nevada. Then they lost to BYU in a really low scoring game. We now know BYU is a certified top twenty team as we speak. I mean, maybe they don't end up having that same status at the end of the year, but I mean I think BYU is looking like a team that could be one of the best in the Big twelve. And then since then, they made a quarterback change, and they've played well. They embarrassed this Florida State team last week, which look, I understand Florida State has been embarrassed really since the start of the season every week. I mean, their only win is a near loss to Cal But SMU beat them in a way that like nobody else has, so they again they have momentum. And Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday was kind of like here we go, Like I'm not scared, I'm not worried, but like realizing, hey, this is a team that is good enough to beat you if you don't play well. And now I'm to the point where I'm well aware that, like they're good, they're gonna bring more fans than I think people realize. I doubt you'll see and in fact, you may not even be able to notice because I'm not sure what color they're gonna wear. I know they're wearing white uniforms, which, by the way, I think we're gonna have back to back weeks where Louisville football has just a beautiful game of uniforms on the field. I mean, last week, Notre Dame that green. It's unusual, but U of L's all Whites with that Notre Dame and Green. I thought it looked beautiful. Of course the result wasn't beautiful. But it's a big game tomorrow, and it's not like I'm telling you that I'm now convinced, no doubt about it, Louisville is gonna win. I think they will, but I'm just ready to actually see what happens here because this is this is a game where if you win it, it's what you're supposed to do. We all know that it's certainly going to be great to see this team respond coming off of a tough loss, being able to not let one loss gets you twice, and that happens sometimes in football, and it'll be you beating a team that you know, as we speak, appears to be one of the better teams in the ACC, although I don't even know if that's true, Like I think they are, like from a talent perspective, like I think they've got some good players. I respect Red Ashley as a coach. I think they'll end up being one of the top five teams in the ACC when it's all said and done. But when it comes to this game having such an impact on the ACC standings, let's be real it all, it's only because of the schedule. Like SMU, They've got Louisville their last game against a ranked team as we speak in Louisville's you know, ranked twenty second, and then from for the rest of the season. They could slip up and lose to a few teams. They could lose to anybody, I suppose. But like they win this, they look at the rest of their schedule and say, look, we've shown we're good enough to win out beat Louisville. We can beat everybody else. And that doesn't mean because Louisville's elite. It's because their schedule is just very, very manageable, favorable, or as some people say, week. So I'm anxious to get this thing started tomorrow, and don't forget we've got you covered for game day. Louisville Football pregame show will start at eleven, taking you up till noon, presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital, And as soon as the game ends, we will go live once again right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville Football postgame show, presented by Alex R. White, Sue Distracted Driver dot com. So coming up in fifteen minutes, we'll bring an Alex Cupper, former Louisville cardinal who joins us each and every week to discuss the cards. And you know, I always try to get his perspective on things that obviously most of us, nearly all of us don't have, which is, you know, a former player's perspective who you know, played football for UFL and had a lot of success. But like every coach is different. But I'm just like, if you're Jeff Brawn and you're preparing for this game, like you've probably put this Notre Dame loss in the rear view, maybe since you walked out of the locker room in South Bend. I mean, I'm sure they watched film and that's part of the process and all that, but like it's a it's it's it's a punch to the gut for fans and certainly players and coaches to all know that, like you came out with that loss, probably more so because you just made dumb mistakes more than anything else. But there's also the other side of that, which is, hey, if we can just tighten things up and not you know, hurt ourselves and make an avoid these mistakes that are easily avoidable. We're gonna be good. We're gonna be just fine. But again we'll talk to Cup coming up here at about three thirty. And then I just realized I've made a mistake here a double book, John, have we no? Well, I just got to figure out how I'm gonna make the how I'm gonna how I'm going to stretch the guests because we've got Jeff Greer coming on at some point, I believe around four thirty. As he is, uh, he's got a big weekend for uh, for for racing lou And of course we always love catching up with Jef career. He's our guy. And then also Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider is gonna join us and get us set for the weekend. Not a great weekend for college football as far as the big matchups, We've discussed that throughout the week. But I have circled in on a few games that I'm I'm like, I'm feeling confident about these bets.
Speaker 2: John, Hey, I'm going back to back three and oh parlay weeks.
Speaker 3: Three and oh, I mean three straight weeks. You mean, if you get this one it's impressive.
Speaker 2: It'll be second straight week of hitting a parlor.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you meant three, like three, and.
Speaker 2: Oh I say three, and oh I mean three for three.
Speaker 3: It's probably the better way to put it. Okay, three for three meeting, all of your picks come in, all the yeah, yeah, yeah, well hey you've got you got more. You got more momentum than I do. Speaking of that, like last night, a great Thursday night football game in the NFL. We don't usually get that, but a pretty exciting finish between the Falcons and the Buccaneers. And of course I came out on the losing end of that. But that's just what I've come to expect, not just with betting on football, but in life, so much so that I'm now starting to really celebrate small victories in everyday life. Like I got my kids to school in daycare on time today and it looked like it might not be the case. I'm like, man, celebrate it. You've not had many wins lately. Celebrate So I felt good about that, And then I was sitting at a red light right near John Harper Highway and my heart sank as I felt like, oh am, I a criminal on the run, and I just realized it. Remember jury dude, right, I do? So I have to call a number every so many days and hear the jury reporting line and it's just a recorded message that tells you if in fact jurors are needed, because I'm in the pool, and then like, if your number is in this range, you're somebody that is needed. So I called on Monday, which was the was that the first day of Tuesday was our cav So October first was the day I was. Monday was the thirtieth, and you're supposed to call and they'll tell you. It'll it'll tell you. And it told me that, you know, there's no like, you're good. But then it said callback Thursday to see the schedule moving forward, like not only for the fourth which is today, but also next week and yesterday, you know, it being another day where I'm just running around town like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to figure out what the hell's going on with my car, all due to AutoZone. I totally forgot about it. So it's eight fifty eight and I met this red light and I'm like, oh my god, I bet I had there's just given my luck given the way things have gone, there's no scenario that I that I that I was not supposed to be at the Judicial Center in Shepherdsville, Kentucky for you know, for jury. So I called the number and I was very happy to learn that there was no nobody. They didn't they didn't have a trial, So I'm good for this week and next week. So but I just assumed, like, well, yeah, now that there's probably there's probably a warrin out for my arrest and they're looking for me right now. They they may not find me though, because I'm not in a vehicle that is registered to me. I'm in a loaner from a dealership because my If I missed jury duty and they came after me, I would just tell the officer who or however that works. I doubt they actually, you know, cuff you and stuff. You can take you to jail because you missed jury duty. But I don't know. If they wanted to make an example out of somebody, it'd probably be me, just because of how things have gone lately. But I would tell them, you need to take this up with AutoZone. That's what you need to do. They need to be the ones on trial here and I'd love to be a juror deciding their fate. But again, I'm trying to to see the positives in life. And I wouldn't say I got lucky, but I guess a break went my way. I didn't check. And if you don't go, then they do. There's something like a summons or something like.
Speaker 2: You know, let's see that as the beginning of an upward trajectory, right.
Speaker 3: Where things start heading in the right direction for me. I like your style, John, I appreciate that. I need that, all right. So some of the things we'll get into I want you guys to hear Pat Kelsey as he was talking yesterday to a bunch of former Louisville players. I didn't realize they were doing this until they posted it on social media, not that I would know, but they had as many any former players who could be who could be at practice yesterday were able to go. There's a lot of awesome pictures from you know, with guys who are currently on the team, with dudes who played here in the eighties and nineties and whatnot. So what Pat Kelsey said in that, you know, as he was addressing his team discussing all these former players.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's to some you know, you might think, oh, that's horny, who cares, that's what he's supposed to say, and maybe you're right, but it was another reminder, and there's been many reminders that like Pat Kelsey obviously has to win games, and I think you will, but you know, we have to wait and see. Right, he didn't coached the game yet. It's it's very early in his in his tenure here. In fact, it really hasn't even started when it comes to like what truly matters, but we also know that other things matter along the way. Ultimately, you got to win. But he's checked boxes since he got here that I think are super important to the fan base being able to heal as quick as possible given what's happened the last couple of years. So you know, it's not like I'm going to share something that'll give you some insight into Pat Kelsey that you didn't have. But like I think, despite, I think you could have put it this way. I think you could have hired other guys that would give you reason to believe that you can you can get back to where you want to be and you're going to be you know in good shape a few years down the line. All that stuff. Like, it's not to say you couldn't have hired anybody else, and they wouldn't and they wouldn't be able to do what he's doing. But like the little things I think are really really important to it being a right out of the gate fans are back in, they're there at games. You're not gonna be selling out when you play you know more head State in the opener. But there's just like, put it this way, if you ended up getting a guy who was a super accomplished coach that was one of the big names that Louisville fans were kind of targeting, like a Mick cronin which I still thank god that didn't happen. But he wouldn't. He wouldn't be running around campus encouraging students to show up at Louisville Live. He would not. And look if he didn't do any of that, but he won big then ultimately that's all that matters. But like when we haven't had any real success on the floor in such a long time, all this other stuff that Pat's doing, it matters. And that's why I think you're gonna, you know, you're gonna see a good group there tonight, a fan for an event that's you know, not a real not even a game, And I think you're going to see this fan base really really supporting this team. And to us, it's not really a surprise, because that's really what we've always done. But if you looked at the Young Center of the last couple of years, I mean that of all things that went wrong with U of L in the last you know, however many years, right, I mean, it's not just the last couple of years with Kenny, it's the very end of the mac era and of course the way things ended with Rick and all that. The one thing when I go, like twenty years from now, let's say Louis of Basketball is in great shape. Maybe they've got another title, maybe they've they've been to a few final fours. I'm not saying that that's the case, but let's just say, hypothetically speaking, that happens. And I think back twenty years before and think of that, you know, really just the last three seasons prior, what's going to stand out, Like the visual in my mind is going to be how empty the Young Center was. Because I never thought i'd ever see it like that, and then it became every game. And I'm not blaming anybody who didn't go. I don't blame you at all, But like typically, I would say, it'll take a program a lot of time to get anywhere close to where they once were as far as fan engagement, fan interest, people showing up. And I feel like he's done a lot of things, meaning Pat Kelsey, since he got hired, that really have nothing to do with this team winning, but it matters, and I think it's gonna really be evident when this thing gets started. And I guess technically you could say maybe it get started tonight, although I think their actual first game of the season, the real game starts a month from to day. But just little things matter whenever you're coming off of what Louisville basketball's had the last few years. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Talk to Alex Kupper talk some louisvill football, get his thoughts on this matchup with SMU. It's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right, It's coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports talk seven ninety on a Friday afternoon, beautiful Friday, as we get set for or a big weekend obviously Louisville Live tonight, as you get a chance to see a lot of these guys for the first time. I doubt many made the trip to the Bahamas, but either way, I mean, this is really the first, like I guess, official event for Pat Kelsey in front of Louisville fans other than the Bahamas, so you know, kind of a big deal. I don't want to overdo it. Obviously it's not a real game, but certainly, you know, Louisville basketball fans are are feen in for some good vibes and he's brought those since he's been here. Obviously they haven't played a game yet, but really looking forward to tonight and then tomorrow. SMU is in town for a big game for both sides and joining us to talk some Louisville football. As the one and only mister Alex cupper Cup, I'll start with this. When you were heading out of the game last Saturday in South Bend. You know, losing by a touchdown to Notre Dame at their place is something that I feel like in most instances you would say, yeah, you know, that happens, but man, that was really frustrating to see how it played out. Just your quick thoughts on you know, the team just shooting themselves in the foot seemingly over and over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean exactly that it was. It was one that you feel like got away from you, one that you can definitely could have gotten and should have gotten. I mean, I've told people, if you played ten times, I'm thinking we went at least six, probably seven of them. And I think that the Notre Dame fans kind of felt reluctant. You could feel that like it was when they needed to have to stay relevant, so they knew that. And it was also a when where they saw what happened on the field and it was like, oh god, we got away with one here. You know, when it comes to getting so many chances and getting to the breaks go their way. So yeah, it was a culmination of some unfortunate you know, bounce is not going our way and not holding on the ball and not taking care of the ball. So that's the that's the key to the game. The ball is the program.
Speaker 3: I know that every coach has a different style, philosophy, but I mean when you played and again I know you didn't play for Jeck Bront wasn't your head coach, But how do you how do you really? I mean, you're gonna watch film, You're going to try to, you know, learn from your mistakes and this and that. But man, these mistakes, not to say they were perfect in every other aspect, but really just avoidable mistakes that you know you can control. How would you guess that that coach brom kind of handled that just put it completely in the rear view, like, obviously you've got to get focused for a game coming up here, that that is a big one. But you know, it's not as if he watched his team play and feels as if he doesn't have the personnel or the pieces to have a lot of success. It was just, you know, just some head scratching mistakes. I'm just curious what you think practice was like this week? How much really that that was brought up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'm if coach coach Brown true to form. I mean there were there was airs made on It wasn't just the players. Sure, there was some coaching decisions that you wish you had back. You know, if you if you get those four downs, which are very questionable spotting of the football there at the end of the first half. But you get that, and you at least get three, you probably may get a touchdown that changes the dynamic of the game. That fourth and two when we had to burn a time out and then ended up not getting it. Defense Sudden Change played well and got off the field, so no damage was done. But that's a timeout that you wish you had there in the closing seconds of the game. So yeah, I mean, I think it's a all around You know, you take ownership for the decisions you make, the plays you make, and you have to own up to them, fix them, correct them, and move forward and definitely can't dwell on them, that's for sure. And that's what we're about to find out how well this team can regroup, refocus, and get locked in in a home game against a tough opponent.
Speaker 3: So each week I felt better and better about this Louisville offense because of Tyler Shuck looking more and more come. I mean, he's to me, his numbers may not show it when you compare it to other acc quarterbacks, but I mean I feel like Louisll's got a prettydamn good quarterback. This year, he's continued to show that some of the plays he made in that game against Notre Dame were really really impressive. Obviously, Colin Lacy and his debut maybe made the catch of the year for the Cards. J Cory Brooks really a costly interception that was on him, but still you can tell this guy's got a lot of talent. And then Isaac Brown a true freshman, but man, he's super talented. I mean, I say all that, I guess ask you when it comes to the offense, I mean, I don't I don't have any real big concerns, not to say that they're perfect. They're going to make mistakes. Obviously at this point, you'd say turnovers in a big game would be the issue at this point. But how would you evaluate the offense here? I mean, I kind of feel like we have a chance to see the rest of the way a team that puts some points on the scoreboard, kind of like we we thought we'd see whenever Jeff first got here.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, And when you when you you know I'm gonna start where you started with the quarterback, When you have a guy hang in the pocket and make crows like he made, and those tight situations in the red zone. You're on the five yard line, it's third down, and you thread one in there and then both you know, great throw, great catch and you just make a play out of you know, the play breaks down and you make a play that and still, and we've talked about that puts so much confidence, should breed so much confidence within that offense that no matter what, all we have to do is lock in, lock in, do our job and and find and this guy's going to make something happen. If you give him a chance, he's gonna make it happen. And that's that's just it's hard. It's hard to articulate how much confidence that can instill in a football team, especially an offense, knowing that you've got a guy like that, so that you know, I'm I'm curious to see where they the next step that Tyler Shuck takes. You know, from a leadership standpoint, I know he's he's might not be the most vocal guy, but how is he going to back it up? You know? And how did you back it up and practice this week? How much? You know, how much can we move forward and really progress? Because that was a damn good, uh Notre Dame defense. You know you play, you played against a really good front, a good secondary that you were able to move the ball on. We're able to get points. You just couldn't hang on the ball. So there's you got. Your guys were able to get open, able to make throws. So there's the capabilities there. So now, how much you know do you rest on that and you say, yeah, we're really good. We're going to read our first clippings on how great we are. Are you going to take the next step and come out and show, you know, your home fan base that you're ready to take this on the next level.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned the defense that Notre Dame has clearly talented and one of the best you'll see all year. Do you think that had a big factor in the past protection Maybe not being you know what what they would have wanted. It's not to say those guys didn't do a good job, but you know, I guess as a former offensive lineman, how would you evaluate that unit up to this point?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you look at you look at Marcus Streeman and his his track record and how aggressive he is. I mean that front seven together and that's that's just really good football players all the way across the board. They might be young, they might not have a ton of experience yet, and they might be not they might not be ready for the next level yet, but I.
Speaker 3: Mean just watching on them for a reason, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're big, strong, fast, you know, and and smart, and they're able to able to disguise things and really bring some unique games and blitzes that that you know, tripped us up a bit. And Shuck had to take a few shots, which also breeds that, you know, that confidence layer that your quarterbacks to hang in there and make throws. So yeah, I think it was a gutsy effort. The ball just didn't didn't bounce our way.
Speaker 3: Alex Cupper's our guest joining us here talking some Louisville football on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Before we get to SMU, I guess I'll switch it to the other side here. Defensively, you know, Louisville right now giving up two hundred and seventy one yards per game. Maybe those numbers are a little bit misleading given the competition in the first couple of weeks, but you know, the defense made some adjustments early on and when they did give up scores. Let's be real, I think the offense put them in those situations. I find myself, you know not, I'm well aware. I'm not as somebody who can see things on a football field quite like someone like yourself who played the game at a high level, even in the professional ranks. But I get the sense that sometimes they're kind of disorganized, like coming out with twelve guys on the field out of a timeout. They do, they've shown the ability to make adjustments and get timely stops. They do seem to come through when it matters the most. But there's just something so far this year that's looked a little off for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean from what from what I can diagnose. So it's just a lot of the errors they make are really unforced and they're they're mental more than anything. I mean, the substitution piece, you can you can throw that back on. You know. Coach had his his the lineup. He wanted the upfront guys because I think it was a I mean, we really made a D tackle change for a D tackle. It's like what I mean, were we in a were we in the wrong subgroup, or were we we just didn't have the right body on the field. That's that's just a mental, mental mishap all around. But when you when you look at you know, coach English in the defensive front, I mean these past two years, really you you can almost tip your cap and hang your hat on there. They will make the adjustments. You'll you'll get some yards. You know, you got those openers that they got drawn up. That one in particular where where Leonard hit hit that wide open post route, that was just that was just a really good design that they knew exactly how we were going to cover it, and that rotation took place on that play action and it was it was just a good, good play call. I'm sure they tried it again, but it wasn't open, would be my guess. And and how they're able to phase up and make their fits, make their correct fit adjustments in the run game, it's something that I feel like that's something again year after a year now we can hang our hat on. So that's comforting when you think of it as a fan, it's like, Okay, we're going to give us something, but we're going to lock this thing in and we're going to make the right adjustments to where we're going to get the ball back to our offense, and now our offense just has to put points on the board. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll see what happens in this game. But I feel like if Louisville does control, you know, they can limit these They're not going to be perfect. Nobody is ever going to be They're probably gonna have some penalties too, that's just part of the game. But if they can limit some of these self inflicted wounds and just play to their full ability, which they really haven't done yet, so I guess it remains to be seen. If you if you if you know you've got ability and you never really put it all together, then you know that's that becomes your identity. But even though I respect SMU as a team, they've clearly got some momentum. I feel like Louisville is a better team. We got to go see them do it in this actual matchup. But what do you what are your thoughts on this SMU team. You know, they're new to the ACC. They they had a loss earlier that now looks like a quot pality loss. With the way b YU is playing, I know everybody's beating up on Florida State but they beat up on them worse than anybody has this year. What are your thoughts on this? On this Mustangs team making their way to Louisville.
Speaker 4: It was something nick where when I looked at the skill when the schedule came out and they were on it and they were at home, everybody scoffed at is like, oh this is you know, this isn't a very good home schedule, YadA, YadA, YadA. And I literally was like, Hey, I assume you wanted a lot of ball games last year, and I know they weren't in the best conference, but they they beat the people that were on their schedule very frequently and by a by a larger by a larger margin than you would expect. So I'm not shocked those three and one. I think they're very dangerous. If you slip on them, you're gonna be You're gonna be in for a long day and it's gonna be an uneasy feeling there in ellen and Stadium tomorrow. So you got to bring your hat, be ready to play top notch football because it's gonna be it's it's gonna be a hard fought win. If you need, if you want to go get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know when you when you think of sitting on a loss, coming you know, because that's what this doing. The LOUISVILLEAM they're coming off of a tough loss where you know, they can look at it one of two ways. As we've discussed, know that hey, if we just tightened some things up, we play clean football, we still have everything ahead of us. And it sounded like after the game hearing the press conference from the players and coach Brom, that that's that's the mindset. But you know, I just have a hard time seeing this group not coming ready to play tomorrow in this big matchup. And but again I said the same thing last week Cup like the way that played out, Like again, maybe it's not about being ready to play. It's more just about the game of football. And sometimes if you know, in any given moment, if you're not locked in, you know you'll you'll have a big mistake that'll cost you. But what are your thoughts on you know the way coach Brom Obviously he wasn't a head coach when you were when you were there at U of L, but he was there for a little while and I know you know him and his personality pretty well, Like, I'd be highly shocked if they're not ready to go as soon as this thing starts tomorrow. He loves noon games, He's told us that, and I think they're gonna be ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, And from a fans perspective, you can't lose sight. I know it is SMU then you might not expect it, but this is this one. This game means way more than that game yesterday or last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds crazy, it's true.
Speaker 4: Game at home. You gotta win your conference games at home to even hatch out. So yeah, huge game for that for that matter, not not as big and prestigious of an opponent, but definitely means a whole lot more than that one last week.
Speaker 3: Well said Cup. I appreciate the time, brother, have yourself a good weekend. We'll talk soon, right, I have a good one. Take care. That's Alex Cupper, former Loovla card, and will always appreciate him and his insight. Good stuff there. Yeah, I know, I said the same thing last week, and it's such like a it's it's something people. It's something you could say when you know nothing about anything involved in the game, the team, the matchups, if you just like or put on the spot. Yeah, I think they're gonna come runny to play, Like that's that's the most generic and empty thing you could say when it comes to discussing a matchup ahead of time. But like, I really do think they're they're they're gonna come out and and not just the players. And I'm glad Cup said that because it's well known. But you know, the staff has to feel as if they were, you know, just as responsible as the players for the way that thing played out. All right, quick break, we'll come back here on the other side of wrap at the three o'clock hour. Keep this thing going as we get you set for a big weekend here in Louisville. It's coffee and company, feelbouth. Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety so. One of the things that you heard there in our conversation with Alex Kupper, he mentioned SMU and just knowing they're a football team that is coming off of a season where they won a lot of games. They've been good under Red Ashley, and we know that. And yes, I'll admit, hand up, I kind of laughed at the thought of them coming in and being a legitimate like contender in the ACC, not because the league's great, but because you know, last year they did win a lot of games, but any team they played that was Power five, they lost, and they didn't lose close. And I still think that's worth mentioning now. But this year, you know, as we as we stand on October the fourth, their only loss this year was a close loss to a team that we now know I was pretty good, and they are playing with a lot of momentum. And regardless of what you think about a team as far as their overall personnel, and you can, you know, you being unimpressed with who they play and who they've beaten, because you know, last year they were in the American Athletic Conference. To keep in mind, that was the American without Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Houston. So you know, I'm willing to tell you, yeah, when you put together a great record and it's because you beat up on that league, you're good for who you are. But it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot to me as far as playing against a higher level opponent. But there is still, you know, even with that said, though, there's still some value in being a football program that wins and finds ways to win and you're successful. Now you may get knocked in the mouth when you step up and play a team that you know is believed to be better than you with more talent. But you know they're not going to be coming in here wide eyed like they're playing some big you know, Juggernaut and Loivels. Not that. And trust me, I'm not saying they should be feeling that way, meaning SMU. But they're a team that will make you pay for your mistakes, just like Notre Dame did. So let's avoid those mistakes fingers crossed. And I just want to see this team play a clean game, meaning limit penalties as best you can. And you're gonna make mistakes, right, You're gonna make mistakes that really are just you know, boneheaded mistakes, but they don't make the crucial ones. Don't make the ones that can literally flip a game in the other direction as soon as it happens. All right, before we get to the top of the hour here, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital again. Their event coming up here and just a little bit over two weeks. It is the Pints for Paws and people of it. It's gonna be October nineteenth from ten to two at Jefferson Animal Hospital right there on Outer Loop. It's one of those things that I've enjoyed talking about with you guys, because I'm sure there's many of you listening that have had pets your whole life and you did not know that your pet can can donate blood just like humans can. So if your dog's over fifty pounds or your cat's at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet Blowe donor, and every donation can save up to four to six lives. So again, you could come on out October nineteenth Jefferson Animal Hospital. They will do demonstrations in front of everybody there, just so you can see the process. Right, you may be uneasy about giving your pet to them to be put down for blood, because obviously cats do need to be put down for those things sedated, I mean, and you know, you may just be scared for your dog, and I get it, that's normal. But they will show you. They'll demonstrate how it works so you can understand that. You know, they know what they're doing, They've done it many times and it's all for a good cost. So again you can donate blood yourself at the event as well with the American Red Cross. So again pines for palls and people. October nineteenth, from ten to two. All pets are welcome, All people are welcome. You can get more info at petloodbank dot com or give them a call at five h two nine hundred pets. All right, Two more hours left here before we get out of here for the weekend. Big weekend. It is Louisville Live tonight, Louisville Football tomorrow. Kentucky's on a bye week. I feel like I knew that, but it's one of those weeks where I don't really I'm not consuming a whole lot of UK stuff, not that I typically do anyways, But you know, we're kicking ourselves for a big missed opportunity in South Bend. They're coming off of a huge win in Oxford. Although I am anxious to see what happens between South Carolina and Ole Miss this weekend, because you know, if South Carolina wins, I don't think that means oh that loss for Kentucky doesn't look like a bad loss anymore. I think if you're Kentucky, wouldn't you want Ole Miss to roll through the rest of their schedule, and that way it looks like it's valuable, and again you can't control that. But anyways, we're gonna talk about the games out there. I know it's a light week as far as big matchups in college football, but still it's a college football Saturday, and there's a lot of good games to bet on. So we'll get to that in a lot more two more hours left, it's coffee and company. Feel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety