Speaker 1: Now, the Bible is full of money management advice. I don't know if you know this or not, but there are two books of the Bible, particularly once called the Book of Proverbs and the others called the Book of Ecclesiastes, which are filled with the laws of money, the principles of prosperity, the rules for wealth. There are many, many laws of financial freedom in both Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
Speaker 2: Now, the first law.
Speaker 1: Of financial freedom is which I call the law of contentment. Now this is very important because as long as your yearnings exceed your earnings, you're going to be in deep trouble. You're going to have debt, and your entire life, you're going to be frustrated with your finances because your yearnings are always going to exceed your yearnings. And until you learn this principle of contentment, you're always going to be frustrated by your money and you're never, never going to have enough, no matter how much you make. Now, here's what the Bible says in Proverbs fourteen thirty, it's healthy to be content, but envy will eat you up.
Speaker 2: It'll eat you up.
Speaker 1: He's saying, it's not only financially good for you to be content. It's actually physically good for you to live a contented life. The Bible says, a heart at peace gives life to the body.
Speaker 2: It is invigorating.
Speaker 1: It is good for your health to be at peace, to not always be under tension, and not always be stressed out and always be worried. Now another verse in Ecclesiastes, also written by Solomon. These two books were written by a man named Solomon. Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. The Bible says, God says he was the wisest man ever lived, so he's got some good advice for us. He was also the wealthiest man in the world when he wrote these two books, with the print of money management in them. Ecclesiastes six' nine says, this it's better to be satisfied with what you have than to always be wanting something. Else that's the, principle that's the law of. Contentment it's better to be satisfied with what you have than to always be wanting something. Else, now we are not by nature contented. People by, NATURE i am. Discontented i'm always wanting to change. Things you're always wanting to change. Things i'm not. Satisfied you're not. Satisfied it is not natural to be. Contented you must learn the secret of being. Content how do you do that because it's not. Automatic, well The bible tells us that there are four, steps four, keys four principles to the law of.
Speaker 2: Contentment here they are number.
Speaker 1: One, first stop comparing myself health to. Others that's the first. Step, Now god made you. Unique you're not one in a, million you're one in. Billions nobody is ever like. You god doesn't make. Clones he never raised. Copies even identical twins are. Different and for, Second corinthians ten twelve says, this.
Speaker 2: We do not.
Speaker 1: Dare he, says how dare you do? This it's a rejection Of. God how dare you do? This we don't dare classify or compare. Ourselves it is not, wise he, said it's, foolish it's, dumb it's, stupid it's it's. Immature, now the problem, is we naturally do, it and we do it all the.
Speaker 2: Time. Comparing we love to. Compare. Iton you walk.
Speaker 1: Into somebody's house and the first thing you do is you start making.
Speaker 2: Comparisons, OOH i.
Speaker 1: Like their, Floor, ooh that's Got, ooh look at that drape. REPLACEMENT i look at A.
Speaker 2: Tv whoa, wow what a.
Speaker 1: Television and you're making comparisons all the. Time you walk up to somebody, That, WOW i like the way she did her. Hair my looks sucky, today you. Know and you, Know, WOW i WISH i had his. WIFE i WISH i had her. HUSBAND i why.
Speaker 2: Are my kids like? That you?
Speaker 1: Know AND i WISH i had that? Job and look at that, CAR i WISH i had that. Job you are constantly, comparing and you do it all the, time and that's what keeps you. Frustrated you got to stop. It if you're gonna learn, contentment you've got to stop comparing everything around. YOU i must learn to admire without having to. Acquire you need to learn to rejoice in other people's prosperity without you getting jealous and envious and feeling like you have to have it, too and then being bitter or mad because they've got something you don't. Have you must learn to, Admire, wow that's a nice you know painting You, God, wow that that's a nice backyard you've got without having to. Acquire, now this is one of the great principles That americans don't. UNDERSTAND i don't have to own it to enjoy. IT i, mean you, say, WELL i like to go camp out in the. Mountains, well why do you have to go buy a mountain cabin when you just rent it the one.
Speaker 2: Time of year you're gonna go to the.
Speaker 1: Mountains, OKAY i don't have to own it in order to enjoy.
Speaker 2: IT i learned this long time. Ago i'm not to downing. IT i just use your. Stuff, which by the, way if you.
Speaker 1: Got a good mountain, cabin let me Know i'll be glad to use it for.
Speaker 2: You you, know get the cobwebs out for. You i'll be glad to do. That and so you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to own. Something and you may have a friend in the. Church you have something you, need we'll just borrow. It you don't feel like you got to go out and buy everything. Yourself you don't because once you own, it you got to repair, it you got to maintain, it you got to store, it and all these other. THINGS i can learn to admire without having to. Acquire here's what you do next time you walk into somebody's house and they got something nice that you don't. Have instead of starting to get discontent and. Envious you just pray a little prayer that says, this thank You god THAT i don't have their payments.
Speaker 2: Because they're paying for. That they're paying for.
Speaker 1: That the money you put on the wall isn't helping. You the money you put in the bank and saving is making you. Money while you're, sleeping it's making you. Money so.
Speaker 2: This is so.
Speaker 1: Important and When i'm talking to you about stop comparing. Yourself this is not just a good idea to make you. Happy comparing yourself to other people is a. Sin in, fact it is such a serious sin That god put it in The Big.
Speaker 2: Ten, yeah The Ten.
Speaker 1: Commandments it's in there right along with don't murder what you'd never, do don't commit, adultery don't rip somebody off in. Steel you know what the ten commandment. Is don't compare yourself to anybodybody. Else it's there on your. Outlane it's right. There exodus twenty. Seventeen you shall not covet anything that belongs to your. Neighbor don't look at it and, go, MAN i WISH i had, That and you start comparing and.
Speaker 2: Coveting, now what is? Coveting it is a. Word we don't use a whole lot. Today so let me define it for. You coveting means the uncontrolled desire to. Acquire that's what it.
Speaker 1: Means to, covet the uncontrolled desire to. Acquire and when EVERYTHING i see And i've got to get it because somebody else has got, it that's called. Coveting and it's such a. Sin it's right up there with don't. Murder it's that important To. God he, SAYS i don't want you coveting. Now the word covet In hebrew in The Old testament literally.
Speaker 2: Means to pant AFTER i got to have. It it's to pant.
Speaker 1: After the word In greek means to grab or to grasp so tightly that your hands are tight you can't even let it.
Speaker 2: Go If god ever gives.
Speaker 1: You something and he tells you to give it, away and you can't give it, away you don't own. It it owns. You and you are possessed by your. Possessions you don't own.
Speaker 2: Them they own. You, now he, says don't covet, now you should not. Covet ain't. Now let me make this really.
Speaker 1: Clear god is not saying you should never have any desire for. Anything, no, no, No every great city is built because somebody desired to build great. City every great nation is built because somebody desired to build a great. Nation every great business is built because somebody desired to build a great. Business everybody gets married because they desire to get. Married everybody has kids because they desire to have. Kids everybody makes money because they desire to make. Money desires are not. Wrong in, fact your desires come From. God we're not talking about desire being. Evil it's the uncontrolled. Desire when a desire is, uncontrolled it becomes a. Lust and when a desire is, uncontrolled it becomes a. Coveting and when you desire something that is not righteously, yours LIKE i want your, wife that's. Evil but desire is not a negative. Thing and nothing can be accomplished unless you desire to do.
Speaker 2: It you.
Speaker 1: Can't you can't become more Like christ without desiring to become more Like. Christ you can't desire to be a good be a good person without desiring to be a good. Person so he's not saying desire is. Bad he is saying coveting is, bad which Is i've got.
Speaker 2: To have, more, more, more more.
Speaker 1: And more of what you've got instead of What i've, Got so never. Compare this is the first key to learning the secret of a contented. Life, wise SHOULD i never compare because comparing always leads to. Coveting number, two the second secret key to the secret of contentment is enjoy WHAT i. Have too often we're so busy going after what else we want that we don't stop and enjoy what we've already.
Speaker 2: Got how many.
Speaker 1: People do you know who go out and go over extend to buy a beautiful, house and then they are never at home because they're busy paying for. It they don't enjoy what they've got because they're.
Speaker 2: Busy making money to get.
Speaker 1: More and beautiful backyards sit, empty and swimming pool sat on swimmed, in and all these people don't enjoy what they've already got because they're always going after.
Speaker 2: More you got to enjoy what you.
Speaker 1: Have did you know That god wants you to enjoy, life not to just endure, it but enjoy. It life was meant to be, enjoyed not merely. Endured a lot of people Think god is some cosmic kill, joy That god wants you to frown through life and never be happy and never laugh and never have any fun and never enjoy absolutely.
Speaker 2: Not god created it all for your. Enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Okay god created taste buds and then gave us. Sinnabon god created ear drums and then gave us. Music there is no single purpose for music except. Enjoyment if you believe in, evolution you had to have no explanation for music because music is not essential to. Survival the only reason is created is purely for. Enjoyment it has no survival capabilities to. It it is Simply god's way of expressing. Emotion and every emotion can be created through. Music And god gave it to us Because god is an Emotional. God And god gave us skin that can feel touch and can ex experienced. Pleasure And god gave us, eyes and he created a world with.
Speaker 2: Color he could have made it all black and. White it is all for our.
Speaker 1: Enjoyment sunrises and sunsets and beauty is for our.
Speaker 2: Enjoyment god did this for our.
Speaker 1: Benefit, now the fact Is god enjoys watching you enjoy What he's given.
Speaker 2: You, now any parent understands. THIS i enjoy giving.
Speaker 1: Gifts to my, kids and THEN i enjoy watching my kids enjoy WHAT i gave.
Speaker 2: Them that's kind of.
Speaker 1: Obvious god enjoys giving stuff to you because he's a Generous, god and.
Speaker 2: Then watching you enjoy what he's given. You So god.
Speaker 1: Says in, fact The bible says To, timothy everything on earth was given for our. Enjoyment that's the kind Of god we have that we. Serve it's for our.
Speaker 2: Enjoyment but here's the.
Speaker 1: Problem we're so busy getting, more we don't enjoy what we've. Got the second, principle the secret of contentment is to learn to enjoy What god has given. You here's what it says Ecclese ases five. Nineteen If god gives a man, wealth If god gives a man wealth and, property he should.
Speaker 2: Be grateful and enjoy what he. Has it is a gift From.
Speaker 1: God that is a. Command you are commended to enjoy What god gives. You you need to pay more attention to what you do. Have you need to open your. Eyes you need to appreciate What god has already given. You you need to be grateful for. It you need to enjoy what you've, got.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't have to be a. Lot just enjoy what you've. Got you, know.
Speaker 1: One of my, things favorite things to do IS i put this raty old chair deck chair on our. Slope we'd had this jec CHAIR i don't know ten fifteen, years maybe twenty, years and it's sat in the sun and it's kind of couple of the slats are broken.
Speaker 2: On, it AND i put it over on the.
Speaker 1: Slope and WHAT i like to do is climb over my fence and sit in that ratty chair and watch the sun come.
Speaker 2: Up this gives me great pleasure.
Speaker 1: WHEN i do, this to watch the sun come and just sit there in that ratty. Chair now WOULD i have any more joy if it were a diamond encrusted bark a lounger.
Speaker 2: Instead of a ratty target.
Speaker 1: Chair, no, no it. Would it would not increase my joy one. Day in, fact there's an advantage to not having a diamond encrusted bark. Line it's better to have a ratty chair on a. Slope why nobody steals? IT i, mean if it were something, fancy you, know people pick it, up but you know who wants that, thing you, know so they just they just leave it. There What i'm saying is you need to ask, yourself what DO i enjoy THAT.
Speaker 2: I never think about?
Speaker 1: It AND i should take take advantage of, it AND i should be grateful for What i've. Got, now one of the benefits of having sent about fifteen thousand of you overseas on peace trips is you got to see how the rest of the world, lives and that makes you a whole lot more grateful because when you've been to the places Where i've, been into the favelas Of brazil and the slums Of, africa and the barrios and the ghettos in the major cities of the, world you see real, poverty and it makes me grateful for stuff that we take for. Granted you, Know i'm you know, What i'm grateful for WHAT i WHAT i. ENJOY i enjoy hot.
Speaker 2: Water hot. WATER i, mean for, me a shower is a spiritual.
Speaker 1: Experience i'm in there, singing AND i JUST i love hot. Water BUT i got a friend IN rwandu told me that during the war he went nine months without a.
Speaker 2: Shower you know WHAT i. Appreciate What i'm grateful for ice.
Speaker 1: Because if you've traveled anywhere in the, world you know most of the world doesn't have, ice and they serve you drinks at room. TEMPERATURE i like my drinks. COLD i don't want to drink a room temperature coke or a room temperature.
Speaker 2: WATER i like.
Speaker 1: Ice i'm grateful for. Ice you know WHAT i Enjoy internet. Access you, know WHEN i, TRAVELED i don't need a fancy. HOTEL i mean even put me up in the hotel motel for ALL i.
Speaker 2: Care doesn't really matter WHAT i but you better have internet access because that's my.
Speaker 1: Connection you think about these things and you start being, grateful and you start enjoying the stuff you take for. Granted you know What i'm grateful for toilet. Paper you don't know what you've got till it's. Gone AND i have been a few places in the world where it was gone and it made me really grateful to have it WHEN i got back. Home you need to ask yourself.
Speaker 2: What AM i not enjoying right?
Speaker 1: Now you, see most of us get into this WHAT i call when and then thinking when and then when this. Happens Then i'll be happy WHEN i get a. Boyfriend Then i'll be happy WHEN i get. Married Then i'll be happy WHEN i have. Kids Then i'll be happy when my kids go off to. School Then i'll be happy WHEN i get married. Again Then i'll be, happy and on and, on and it's.
Speaker 2: The when and then.
Speaker 1: Thinking, listen you are as happy as you choose to. Be happiness is a, choice and if you're not happy, now you're not going to be happy.
Speaker 2: Later you are as happy as you choose to.
Speaker 1: BE i could take you to some of the worst places in the world and show you two people living right next door to each, other and one is miserable and one's. Happy why hap has nothing to do with your. Circumstances it has everything to do with your. Attitude you were as happy as you choose to. Be and if you're not happy living on what you're living on right, NOW i can guarantee you you're not going to be happy with anymore because you're.
Speaker 2: Always going to want a little bit. More happiness is a.
Speaker 1: Choice happiness is something you choose to, do and it doesn't cost anything to be. Happy friday was Grandparents day and two of my, Grandkids kaylee In cassidy in kindergarten second. Grade So kay AND i went To Grandparents' day and you, know you go, in you sit down at these little tables with these little chairs where you got one cheek on the, chair you, know and your color and you play and we had a lot of. Fun and then we came to my favorite part of, school which was, recess and So kaylee And cassidy AND i went out onto the field and we started playing you, know red, light green, light where you know there's a fence which is, safe and you turn around and you, say you, know green, light green, light green, light and you're walking and as you further get, right they're coming to see how close you can. Get and then you say red light and you turn around and they've got to get back to the fence before you could tag. Them So i'm playing this with my, granddaughters and after about three, TIMES i got fifty one hundred kids out there playing red light green light With Pastor. Rick and So i'm walking across the fielding green, light green, light green, light red, light and one hundred kids are screaming running back And i'm chasing them back and we're having a good. Time we're doing, this and THEN i turn them into conga line and we got one hundred kids in.
Speaker 2: Congo like dunk dun, dun dunt dunk dum dunk dun dun dun dunk.
Speaker 1: Dum you, know the red light and they'll go running back and everybody's having.
Speaker 2: Fun i'm having.
Speaker 1: Fun my granddaughters are having, fun the kids are having, fun all of.
Speaker 2: The parents are having.
Speaker 1: Fun videotaping Pastor rick looks like an.
Speaker 2: Idiot you.
Speaker 1: Know the teachers are having fun because they're you, know the kids are having great time that you know how much that costs me Zero AND i didn't need a video, GAME i didn't need to take them To disneyland and just having fun with. Him kaylee turns around to all the. Classmates that's Wherever papa. Goes he starts a. Party just being grateful in the situation you're enjoying the day you've. GOT i, mean, really with doubling your, income double your, joy absolutely. NOT i probably know a dozen, billionaires maybe, more maybe. TWENTY i can bring anyone of them in, here and they tell you. This money is a. Tool money can make your life, easier but money will ultimately not satisfy your life because no matter how much you've, got when you can finally afford to buy everything you, want that still won't make you happy because happiness is not. Found it's not life liberty and the purchase of. Happiness happiness cannot be. Bought it's. Internal happiness is a. Choice, now we always THINK i don't have.
Speaker 2: ENOUGH i don't have. ENOUGH i don't have.
Speaker 1: Enough there's two ways to have. Enough one's hard and one's. Easy here's how you have. Enough work more or want. Less that's your. Choice you could work more or you can want.
Speaker 2: Less that's how you're going to have. Enough, WELL i don't have.
Speaker 1: Enough, well here you got two, choices work more or want. Less now One timothy six says this verse, seventeen command those who are rich in this present. World, now let me just stop right. There that's. You let me put this in. Perspective if you have any coins in your, pocket any if you and, pennies, nickels any coins in your pocket or your. Purse if you have any coins in a little tray in your, car if you have any coins in a saucer at, home you're already wealthier than about seventy eight percent of the. World if you have a, refrigerator you're like in the top five.
Speaker 2: Percent you're. Wealthy so get over. It you're. Wealthy you're.
Speaker 1: Rich, Now he says this command those who are rich in this present world to not be arrogant nor to put their hope in, wealth which is so, uncertain but to put their hope In, god who richly provides us with everything for our notice. Enjoyment the next, verse verse, eighteen says this tell them to use their money to do.
Speaker 2: Good he's talking about to rich.
Speaker 1: People they should be rich in good works and should give generously to those in, need always being ready to share with others Whatever god has given. Them, question is it possible to be wealthy and not? Materialistic, yes yes it. Is it is possible to be wealthy and not, materialistic as long.
Speaker 2: As you meet these four.
Speaker 1: Preconditions in Two, timothy excuse me One timothy sixth seventeen and, eighteen he, says as long as you don't become proud of your, wealth you don't flaut. It you, know you don't think you're better than anybody. Else and we always laugh about HOW i wear this watch THAT i paid seventeen bucks for it At. Walmart you know, What it ticks just as fast as Your. ROLEX i buy watches to tell. Time don't show, off don't become proud of your, wealth don't think you're better than. Somebody don't put your hope in, money because you can lose, it, says use your money to do, good and then he says share it with. Others giving is the antidote to. Materialism he, Said i'm not. Materialistic, well how generous are? You you? Know one of the signs of. Materialism it's not the only, sign but one of the signs That i'm. MATERIALISTIC i get irritated anybody somebody starts talking about. Tithing that's a Sign i'm. Materialistic because the REASON i don't tie is there's just Things i'm.
Speaker 2: Not willing to do. Without there's a word for, that.
Speaker 1: Materialism i'm not willing to do without these.
Speaker 2: Things in, Fact god doesn't need my.
Speaker 1: Money the reason he asked me to tie is to teach me to break the grip of materialism in my. Life god doesn't need my. Money he does it for me to break the grip of. Materialism and number three third way to learn the secret of. Contentment, remember life is not about. Thinks life is not about. THINGS i got to maintain the right perspective about possessions Or i'll be possessed by by. POSSESSIONS i gotta realize none of it's going to. Last Otherwise i'm going to be dissatisfied and. Discontent jesus says It luke twelve verse, fifteen watch out and guard yourselves from every kind of, greed because your true life is not made up of the things you, own no matter how rich you may. Be i've said this so many. Times never judge yourself worth by your net. Worth never think your value is related to your. Valuables realize that the greatest things in life aren't things. Said life is not about the acquisition of. THINGS i didn't bring anything into the. World i'm not taking anything out of the, world and the stupidest use of my life is to spend it building a. Pile that's dumb to. Acquire life is not about. Acquisition life is not about. Achievement life is about. Relationship it's learning how to, love learning how to Love, god learning how to love other. People everybody knows the Prayer Jabez god enlarge my, borders but the prayer Of agur is just as. Important ag you, are that's his. Name prayer Of Agar proverb's thirty says, This Oh, GOD i ask you for two, things two things from.
Speaker 2: You BEFORE i. Die, first help me to never tell a.
Speaker 1: Lie, second give me neither poverty nor riches give me just enough to satisfy my. Needs for IF i grow, RICH i might deny you and, say you, know who needs The?
Speaker 2: Lord who's The?
Speaker 1: Lord and If i'm too, POOR i may steal and thus Insult god's holy. Name this is WHAT i call, healthy balanced perspective on. Wealth most people are willing to pray the first half of this, Prayer, god don't make me too, poor and We'll i'll pray that. One, god don't make me too. Poor are you willing to pray the other? Half, god don't make me too? Rich because either extreme can cause you to Forget. God wealth can make you, prideful so who Needs? God and poverty can make you. BITTER i need to to remember that my life is not about. Things, finally number, FOUR i focus on what will last. FOREVER i give my attention to permanent. VALUES i build my life on eternal. PRIORITIES i focus on what will last. Forever and nothing you see is going to last. Forever it's going to rust out whereout. Decay every possession is, Temporary so don't build your life on possessing. Possessions this building will one day, decay rust and fall. Over the trees out here will one day die and. Shrivel everything is going to. Vanish in, fact The bible, says one day there'll be a new heaven and new. Earth it's all going. Away there are only two things are going to last, forever The word Of god and. People The word Of god is going to last. Forever The bible, says heaven and earth will pass, away but my.
Speaker 2: Word will never pass.
Speaker 1: Away The bible, says the grass, withers the flower, phase but The word Of god abides. Forever this is why you need to read this. Book because if it's, true it was a true one thousand years, ago and to be true a millionaeres from. Today truth does not change. Now IF i asked how many do believe everything you read in the, newspaper nobody to raise your, hand or watch ON tv or the internet or in a. Magazine but IF i ask how many believe what's in The, bibles do you'd raise your. Hand why do we spend more time reading what we don't believe than what we. Do you need to fill your mind with this. Book oh and there's one other thing that's going to last. Forever, people one of two, places heaven Or. Hell you, Say, rick you believe in heaven and, now of COURSE i. Do why Because jesus said it's, real And jesus is not a, liar and he knows more about it than you or. Me and if there is no heaven or, hell Then jesus coming and died on the cross so you could go there as a total. Waste there is a real, heaven there is a real, hell and we are to invest our lives in people and building relationships and.
Speaker 2: Building love with. Them look at this.
Speaker 1: Verse second thing is for we fix our attention circle that that means focus focus on what's going to last. Forever we fix our attention not on the things that are, seen but the things that are, unseen because what can be seen only lasts for a little while, time but what can't be seen will last.
Speaker 2: Forever so you.
Speaker 1: Got to, decide AM i going to build my life on acquisition of things or relationships with? People AM i going to focus on? People or AM i going to focus on? Possessions AM i going to focus on? Riches or AM i going to focus on? Relationships so you've got a choice to, make and that is where are you're going to get your? Lifestyle because the world is telling you the exact opposite of.
Speaker 2: Everything i've taught you.
Speaker 1: Today everything in the, world in, fact the entire advertising industry is built on the idea of you got to get, more to be more, happy more, successful and more, important more, valuable more. Secure so you got to, decide AM i going to listen To Madison avenue or AM i going to listen to The?
Speaker 2: Master AM i.
Speaker 1: Going to listen to? Culture or AM i going to listen to? Christ AM i.
Speaker 2: Going to listen to the?
Speaker 1: World or AM i going to listen to the? Word one will make you dissatisfied the rest of your?
Speaker 2: Life one will make you?
Speaker 1: Happy and you have to ask, yourself what is the primary purpose of my? Life to just get? More you've got to be kidding. Me i'm leaving it all here. Anyway what DO i think? About talk? About give my most? Too what AM i living my life for just to get? More you may have a lot to live, on do you have anything to live? For do you have a relationship With? God you, SEE i invite you to get off the treadmill today and Adopt god's value. System you see the myth of the world as you can have at. All the truth, is you can't have it, all and more, important you don't need it all to be.
Speaker 2: Happy you.
Speaker 1: Don't you're as happy as you choose to. Be and the secret of. Contentment if you don't get anything, else get. This the secret of contentment is finding my security and myself and my satisfaction not in WHAT i, have but in WHOSE i, am WHO i belong. To you find it In.
Speaker 2: Christ