Speaker 1: Hello, this is Michael Foley. I am the author of Why We Kiss Under the Mistletoe Christmas Traditions Explained, and you are listening to The Doctor Sky Experience on WABC Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen to the iconic radio show The Doctor Sky Experience, heard on America's iconic radio station, Talk Radio seventy seven WABC out of New York City and around the world, the crown Jewel of Talk great guest on The Doctor Sky Experience. And as we move into the Holidays twenty twenty two, who better than a gentleman named Michael P. Foley to talk about his brand new book, Why We Kiss under the Missiletoe Christmas Traditions Explain. But first a little background on our very special guest, and then a little segue into some of the things that you probably knew and probably don't know about these great Christmas traditions. Doctor Michael P. Foley is a Professor of Patristics in the Great Texts Program at Baylor University, a professor of theology at the Aquinas Institute, and the author over four hundred articles and fourteen books, including Drinking with the Saints, Drinking with Saint Nick Drinking with Your Patron Saints, and the Politically Incorrect Guide to Christianity. Mike and his wife Alexandra live in their adopted hometown of Waco, Texas, where they enjoy spending the Christmas Holidays with their six children, twelve chickens, two turtles, one dog, and twelve thousand bees. The name of the book here on the Not to Sky Experience is Why We Kiss Under the Missiletoe And a little backstory on the book before we talk with our special guest. Everyone is Christmas traditions that make the season so special, but people rarely stop to think about why they hold these traditions so near and dear to their hearts. Author of the best selling Drinking with the Saints, Michael pe Poly delves into the history behind the season's favorite traditions in Why We Kiss under the Missiletoe, Christmas traditions explain without a hearty welcome to Michael p. Foly. Michael, good afternoon and Merry Christmas to you and your family. How are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Good afternoon and Merry Christmas to you as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is the one that knocks it out of the park. Michael, I know you are really outstanding, and I know we're looking for the same thing, and I guarantee it'll happen here because of what's contained in the books that you write. Drinking with the Saints was awesome, and so many of my friends that even those that didn't like adult beverages, they certainly appreciate all the backstory on these the drinks any correlation to many of the great science. But we begin this interview, I wanted to talk about something that I've been talking about, and we've gotten some scholars who also have talked about some of the theories. I've been going around the country on our shows, you know, via radio and technology, talking about what we believe to be the origins of the Great Star of Bethlehem. But let's start off, as the book does, with the origin of Christmas, and let's say the Christmas Star the wise Men give us a little inspiration as we move into the season exactly or on insight into this particular story of how this whole Christmas season got started, at least from the Bible. As one who studies this deeply, Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, where to begin. The history of Christmas is so wonderfully tangled and controversial, but it does make for a fascinating history. So we do have the infancy narratives, and there are critics who say the details don't all add up, the defendants who say, no, you're reading it wrong. They do add up if you just look at this. Rather than that, we're still not exactly certain when Jesus Christ was born. Was it December twenty fifth, was it some other time? Was it March? I guess the thing that I learned from doing all the research is, even if we can't prove a lot of these early Christian beliefs, nor can we disprove them, maybe it is unlikely that December twenty fifth was the birthday of Jesus, but it's not impossible, especially if you read the gospel according to Luke in a certain way, the chronology could very easily line up. So we shouldn't naively believe that Jesus was born on December twenty fifth, but we should just as naively, just as naively believe that this is just you know, a myth or a fabricated date.
Speaker 2: Interesting a little backstory from you on the three wise Men. I mean, I've tried the research this as best as I can, and what I get out of it from other scholars like yourself, three wise men possibly coming from say areas like what today is presently Iraq, maybe northern Iran, and maybe some even say farther out to the east. What say you as we move forward to talk about these great Christmas traditions.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, you know. Our best guess is that magi were Zoroastrian priests and scholars, like you said, from present day Iran. In Iraq. We don't know the number. In the It just says magi came to visit the infant Jesus. It doesn't say how many. So in the Greek Orthodox Church, I believe they hold that twelve magi came. The West, of course, has this tradition of three magi who represents the three quote races of the Earth or the three descent of Noah. And so you have Gasper, Melchior, and Baltazar coming from different.
Speaker 2: Parts of the world exactly. You know. I hope every talk show host says, I asked you this question, and believe me, I'm going to ask it to find patristics to us because I have never and I'm always honest with the audience and honest with you I've never heard the term before, but you are the scholar of this and to fine it so that everybody can understand it.
Speaker 1: It is not a well known term, but it's a pretty simple idea. Patristics is the study of the early church fathers, and the early church fathers were the great Christian luminaries from the end of the composition of the Bible. It's about one hundred AD to maybe seven hundred ADS, so the first six hundred years of Christianity amazing.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit more about Advent. I mean, I was brought up as a Catholic and follow up any of the rituals. You know, this isn't about me, but as an altar boy, I was old enough to have to in the time period. Back in my time, the Lamas in Latin was something that I tried very hard to know and had to recite. But Advent is so important to the Christian community. Talk about it and some of the early things like Advent calendars and Advent wraiths. As we move toward the Christmas.
Speaker 1: Season, Advent is a wonderful time. It's a very brackish season, if you will. It's this strange mix of penance and jubilation penance because we're getting ready for the Lord and is coming. Jubilation because the Lord is coming, so we're both excited and trepidacious. And our Advent customs sort of reflect that our liturgies have violet vestments, purple vestments, the gloria is suppressed. There are other sort of signs of sorrow. But on the other hand, the text themselves and the customs of Advent are joyful and almost sort of giddy. Though you mentioned two big customs, the Advent calendar we're literally counting down the days to when Jesus comes, and the Advent reef, which is now a very popular symbol started by Lutherans in Germany and I think the nineteenth century, but has very quickly spread to Christians of all stripes.
Speaker 2: So much to talk abob and so little time to do it. If you're just joining us, ladies and gentlemen, we're Janana to have Michael p. Fole, the author of many books, author of a book that we had him on and knocked it out of the park as always, the author of that book Drinking with the Saints. He's here today to talk with us throughout a brand new regnary history book that's available wherever good books are sold, entitledment of the book, or the book entitled I should say Why we Kiss under the mizzletone Christmas Traditions explained. We're here to talk about these amazing traditions, many of which as I read the book, I'm just so amazed by. As we get in to celebrate the birth of the Christ Child, here with our very special guests, and you're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience on America's iconic radio station, that is Talk Radio seventy seven WABC at New York City and around the world at WABC radio dot Com, the crown jewel of Talk radio. Michael, thank you for spending some time in this pre Christmas edition. As we move forward to a new year of twenty twenty three. You know, you describe things like the Jesse tree. Never heard of it before, describe it. It's something fascinating that people. It opens up our minds.
Speaker 1: The Jesse tree is a relatively recent custom. The idea behind it is not The idea behind it is the family tree of Jesus.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: And of course we get genealogies in the Gospels about the ancestry of Jesus, but it is a tree or a bush with different symbols of Jesus's ancestors who is described ancestors are described as coming from the root of Jesse. Jesse was King David's father, and so there like the week before Christmas, you'll start to put these ancestors on the tree, the Jesse tree, that is, as a way of building up to the birth of the Messiah.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, you know, one of the most powerful chapters that I get of the book, and all of them are outstanding, but the story of something that many people may not recognize, and the predecessor or maybe Santa Claus. And there's so many iterations, but give us a little more detailed explanation. And as you described the book in the book, the real Saint Nicholas of Myra. This is fascinating. I'm all ears on this one. Michael's Blue Please Well.
Speaker 1: I really fell in love with Saint Nicholas of Myra as a result of researching this book. There are two chapters on him, one who he is and then two the legends about him that eventually morphed into anaclause. But he really was a great man. He was a Catholic bishop, in present day Turkey in the fourth century, and he was basically known as the people's champion. This was the guy who had your back. He protected you from unjust rulers who imposed heavy taxes from people falsely accusing you of murder. He's most famously associated with saving three daughters of a poor man from prostitution by giving them money to have a dowery for a proper marriage. So he was this great patron of the little guy. And then over time his legends only grew and grew and grew, and there heard some really colorful legends about him from the Middle Ages. And then the huge shift happened in the early nineteenth century when within almost ten years he suddenly morphed into Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Amazing. So it's kind of and I'm being serious, not to be funny. It's almost like having a court appointed attorney on your side if you couldn't afford it for the poor, who would want defend you against the blasphemy and all kinds of things that were lies, innuendos and what have you. In other words, a man who cared about people beyond what most people would ever imagine.
Speaker 1: Correct, that is exactly right, and there's a lot of confusion. You mentioned your Catholic background, doctors. There's a lot of confusion, at least among non Catholics about the nature of a patron saint because you kind of look at it from the outside. You think, well, this is some kind of arrangement for recovering polytheists, right that you used to pray to the Goddess Diana for a good harvest, but you can't do that anymore, so I or just prayed to Saint Agatha or whatever. But the real impetus behind it is the patron client relationship of the Roman Empire. A patron, just like you were saying, is a big shot. He's an influencer in the town, and you are his client, which means you are protected by him. You pay him homage, and in turn he has your back. Well, by the time you get to the late Roman Empire, the place is falling apart, and people are cynical about government officials, holy Catholic bishops and kind of step in and take the role of a patron. You know, the Roman officials can't dismiss a bishop. They know he's important, and so he will step in to protect you when you are being attacked by you know, the big government or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, this is amazing. I mean many of the things that happen. In other words, history repeats itself, and the story that we're talking about here with Saint Nick, but in a respectful way, but also in a way to bring people's minds to the attention of maybe more or music. We're gonna hear a rendition of the Beach Boys as they sing a very interesting song in the beauty of the holiday season, the song of Little Saint Nick. And this is performed of course by the Beach Boys. Very apropos time to hear, to celebrate in the joyous festivities of Christmas. But ladies and gentlemen more important, our very special guest, Michael P. Foley a book not only the color I just love, very Victorian, as we have the title Why We Kiss under the Missiletoe. Christmas Traditions explain.
Speaker 3: Christmas, Christmas come this time.
Speaker 4: Well way up Norsworthy ergis, there's a tale about Christmas that you love in and Thames dressed up and written eighty sense of all year working out it is then it's.
Speaker 3: The It's the little same, the same, just as the little Bob slip you go a little same dick, but you walk into the.
Speaker 4: Fgon do the first mist you Candy apple Man with the steep world wheel and the sad against the gas man.
Speaker 3: Just watching review. It's the good the same nig same, It's the little same nick same a run rid rain, the run right rain.
Speaker 4: Rain.
Speaker 2: You don't miss no one.
Speaker 4: I'm holling through the snow at a right to speed with the half a dozen year with the rain lea. He's gottaware with goggles cos the snow really flies.
Speaker 3: And he's goosing everywhere with the little sprid. It's the little same the same. It's the little same day, the same Christmas.
Speaker 2: J Michael, this is amazing and it's a short read, and I gather you know, I have to ask you the question. It's very simple. I mean, obviously you are the scholar and the patristics, but why this book about Christmas? I mean it comes through in your voice that there's this great passion so this compilation, I mean, can you describe it. You were sitting, let's say, with your family, or you're out somewhere fishing or doing something. One day it just hits you and said, hey, I got to do a book about this. Describe that whole chain of thought.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it was a single moment, but you're absolutely right. And of course I'm not unique. As a kid, I loved Christmas and I was always fascinated by the Christmas symbols. What other time in the American year do you have a season so chock full of symbols? And so I wondered about them as a kid. You know, why do we deck the halls with hours of holly and not boxwood? You know, what's the deal about the Christmas tree? And why do we kiss under the missiletoe? So as an adult, you know, becoming a college professor, I developed, you know, skills of research, and I was able to dig deep and get some answers to my questions.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yes, it's a great read and a little I don't want to call it a pocket book. How would you describe it. It's in between that as a hardcover. It's just simply something that you can't put down. And everybody within the sound of this particular interview, they definitely should get a copy of this coming to us from the great Regnary people. But it's Regnary history, and they can find this wherever good books are sold, but also at regnoryhistory dot com. Let's talk about the other things. This really opened my eyes as we talk to Michael that you have a chapter here at chapter five, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Stanta's Helper. I once heard that there was some dark images of the anti Santa, and you describe some of these. I almost found it hard to believe that. As raised as a Catholic, I never heard this. And you could describe to us something called Sert and also a being I guess called Crampus, I mean, and it goes on and on. Who were these entities? And I hope they're not real. Oh.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest surprises in researching this book was the dark side of Christmas. Yes, you know there are stories of witches and goblins and elves which were scary creatures before they were tamed to make toys for Santa. You know, when Dickens has Ebenezer Scrooge visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve, he's not pulling that out of a hat. He's drawing from a very long and frightening tradition of ghost stories. So you've got that in the background. But then specifically, when Saint Nicholas visited children on the vigil of his feast to give gifts, which would be December fifth, he was often accompanied by a very spooky sidekick, and often it was a demon. In Austria and Germany it's Crampus. In the Czech Republic it's a demon named Church, which is actually just the check word for demon or devil. And they would often be chained. Sometimes an angel would be the one holding the chains. And it seems very strange, and you're thinking this is good for children, but it actually does show children how Saint Nicholas, as your patron, has your back, that God has blessed him with an ability to subdue evil.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah, this is so amazing. It's so mind boggling because as a Catholic, and again I keep repeating that, because it was very much a kind of a blind folder when you're little, I mean everything. There wasn't any talk of the dark side. Of course, it was always the good, which I guess as a child helped me get through, you know, without hearing any of those dark side stories. But one thing you mentioned, you corrected me. I said, sirt and you say shirt. But the interesting thing is I was wondering because I'll never touch a cert mint again for bad breaths something. But on a lighter I hear you. Now this is quite fascinating and on the other side of the coin you describe this is amazing. Saint Lucy, I never knew that she is the patron saint of eyes and vision? Is this also a connection to the to the Christmas story too? There's a connection with her involving want this holiday and the spirit of Christmas.
Speaker 1: So her feast day is on December thirteenth, and especially in Scandinavian countries, but also almost the other side of the globe. For her native Syracuse, Italy, she is held in very high regard. I think the reason why she is loved in Scandinavian countries is that before the reform of the Gregorian calendar, the reform of the Julian calendar in the what was it seventeen hundreds, fifteen hundreds. In the old Julian calendar, December thirteenth was the winter solstice, so there was an association with light. We're getting longer days, and then Lucy's name means light in Latin, so you've got this happy coincidence, all kinds of light customs going on, and then she is the patron of light, which is, you know, the sort of patron of the eyes rather, which is sort of the window into the mind or the body. So all these things sort of tied together and made her feast stay a very.
Speaker 2: Festive one, beautiful. You know. I'm going to take deliverty Michael of injecting a poem that I had read from one of the shows that we were doing and still proudly do on Coast to Coast. I am, of course the nation, and they asked us to do this CD for Christmas many many years ago. So I'm somewhere in between one of the guys from one of the rock bands and Pat Boone, I guess, and we're somewhat in there. But I wanted to inject this, and it's apropos right now. It's a Christmas poem that I read about children being naughty and nice, And what better time to implant this in here, because you're talking about things that I never knew about about not just about the story of Saint Nicholas and then Santa Claus, but also some of these other darker forces out there. But it's an interesting rate.
Speaker 5: Nonetheless, it is said long ago that children from around the world would wake up on Christmas Day and find to their delight the gift of toys, the generosity from a man named Claus. But Claus thought that none of the children would ever know where the toys came from, and that being okay with him. But his kindly deeds that made so many children happy would carry to far lands and not go unrecognized. So for miles and miles in every direction, people were talking of Claws and his wonderful gifts to children. The sweet kindness of his work would remind folks of their respect for a man so gentle natured that he loved to devote his life to pleasing the helpless little ones. Therefore, the inhabitants of every city and village had been eagerly watching for the coming of Claus. Stories of beautiful playthings were told to the children to keep them patient and contented. When, on the morning following the trip of Claws with his deer, the little ones came running to their parents with the pretty toys they had found. And as from whence they came, there was put one reply to the question. The good Clause must have been here my darlings, for his are the only toys in all the world. But how did he get in, asked the children. At this The fathers shook their heads, being themselves unable to understand how claws had gained admittance to their homes. But the mothers, watching the glad faces of their dear ones, whispered that the good Claw was no mortal man, but assuredly a saint, and they blessed his name for the happiness he had bestowed upon the children. A saint, said, one with bowed head has no need to unlock doors if it pleases him to enter our homes. And from then on, when a child was naughty or disobedient, its mother would say, you must pray to the good Santa Claus for forgiveness, for naughty children will receive no more pretty toys. But Santa Claus himself would not have approved this speech. You see, he brought toys to the children because they were little and helpless, and because he loved them. He knew that the best of children were sometimes naughty, and that the naughty ones were often good. It's the way with children the world over, and that is how our Clause became Santa Claus and enshrined himself as a saint in the hearts of the people.
Speaker 2: But I gotta ask you about this. Describe to us this is going to be a missing this from the interview, and I wanted to hear it. Describe the transgression of how Saint Nicholas then moves on to become Santa Claus. I think everybody's interested to hear that story.
Speaker 1: That is such a bizarre transformation. I mean, think about it. You have a celibate bishop living in the Mediterranean and he somehow becomes married, living in the North Pole, elves are at his beck and call to make toys. He's driving a reindeer with sleigh or vice versa. It's just bizarre. So we from what we can tell, we owe a series of American authors from the early eighteen hundreds for all of this, So authors like Washington Irving and Clement Clark Moore. We're living in New York City and the Dutch had given the city Santa Claus and kept that custom alive when it was New Amsterdam. So they took these customs from the Dutch about Saint Nicholas. And then from what we can tell they may have taken elements from Norse mythology about Thor and Woden. Thor, for example, after whom our Thursday is named, was the god of fire, and so he bore red. He was associated with the chimney. He drove a chariot in the sky, pulled by two goats, and when the goats stepped on the clouds, it made thunder. And so they took these Norse elements. They took the legends of Saint Nicholas. They put them in a blender and they flipped on the switch, and that's how we got Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, and the timeline in which you described it very quickly. This also happened because we don't know as a celibate person, Saint Nicholas. He transforms himself into one a jolly, happy family man with astead of reindeer and a sleigh, and he's what mimicking as you're describing to us what the story of Thor. I guess this is also like the modern day version of what Thor would be. As we get into Santa Claus with his chariot and reindeer in the whole nine yards. That's interesting that really is. Oh, it's quite a stretch, kind of fascinating book here, you know, in the time allotted today, I'm bouncing all over the place on purpose here. But I think it's so important. The Christmas tree. Something is that iconic symbol. Story is about that, I mean, the origin of it. I would imagine people just go and in the old days, we went out to the forest, we chopped the tree down, and we planted it where in our house outside. But you've got some fascinating theories of the origin of the Christmas tree and the connection to Christmas.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a big surprise for me. I didn't realize that there were myths about Christmas myths and I grew up being told that the Christmas tree was a pagan yule Tide holdover. And indeed there are some pagan yule tied holdovers, mistletoe is one of them, having evergreens in your houses another. But it turns out that the Christmas tree is a quintessentially Christian invention.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Wow, that's an amazing story. But you described in the book, and I don't want to give everything away because I want people to read this and especially what they should do is get a copy of this as they're sitting around the fireplace or just sitting with family. And this is interesting. Except for certain chapters I probably wouldn't read to the children, but the beauty of the Christmas Tree and the story of Mistletoe, and many many other chapters could be read aloud. But I'm reading this that the symbology of red may come from a connection between Adam and Eve and that sacred apple that was Eden that's also in your book, right.
Speaker 1: Well, it is interesting that red and green have been come the colors of Christmas, But in terms of the worship of the Church, it's a very strange thing because the colors during December, like we were talking about a moment ago, are violet or purple. The color that the priest wears during the Christmas season is white. So where does the red and the green come from. One theory is that it's holly. It could be the Christmas tree with its greenness and its red balls, but it could also be holly. And the reason why holly was chosen as a Christmas decoration is that it reminded Christians of the Crucifixion. The prickly leaves recalled the crown of thorns, and the red berries recalled the drops of blood that our Lord would shed for humanity. And so the irony of Christmas having red and green as its colors is that it was inspired by a plant that reminded Christians of the Crucifixion, not the Nativity.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's so many I mean, if you were to PLoP this like on a big blackboard in a classroom, there's so many sidelines in this whole story that is so amazing. And because of your research. I mean, I always thought pretty much everything was linear. You know, you go from the Star of Bethlehem, the Birth of Jesus, and you go along this linear line. But you've got all these side fascinating stories from Saint Nicholas, how he became Santa, how all these different saints, some necessarily as we talk about these goblins and other dark Santa's coming to the picture. But here's one and I don't like reading from someone's book here you wrote it, but the chrysanthemum. And I'll quote here and I say this, When the Magi reached Bethlehem, they got lost in the dark until Miltshord discovered a chrysanthemum and picked it up. Immediately, the doors of a nearby stable flew open, revealing the Holy Family the significance of this flower in Christmas. I think I've said some of it, but what you write is I think, can please please tell us more?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I figured as a fan of the Magi that you would be drawn to the chrysanthemum.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, It's amazing. It just keeps going on and on and on.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of wonderful legends about the Magi. By the way, there are different gift givers throughout the world, and in Italy the gift giver is an old woman named the Fauna, and she has a connection to the Magi. When they were on their way to Bethlehem, they stayed in her house. I guess she had an ancient airbnb. And they were amazed at what a great housekeeper she was, and indeed she was. She was extremely fastidious. So they were so impressed with her hospitality, they said, you should come join us, and so she said, great, I would love to meet the Messiah, but I just need to clean up first. And so they took off and she cleaned in the hopes of catching up with them. She spent too long cleaning up, and when she went out to find them, she couldn't and so she has spent the rest of history looking for the Christ Child.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a story. See that's totally amazing. And this is Michael P. Foldy research ladies and gentlemen that talks about in so much more detail than we have time for here, why we kiss under the missiletow Christmas traditions explain. But I want to just ask you a few more questions here and may really not questions, they're just observations that I find fascinating. I want to get to the main part of this interview, and it's the title of the book. Tell us as much as you want to about missiletoe and why we kiss under the missiletoe. This folks, I think, just really knocks it out of their part.
Speaker 1: Well, the short answer is the druids. The Druids thought missletoe was an amazing plant. It was green in the dead of winter, It grew without ever touching the soil. It had berries in the dead of winter, and not only berries, but white bear, which is relatively rare. And so they treated the missiletoe with great reverence. When they harvested it. They went through this elaborate ritual that can never touch the ground, and they often made peace under the missiletoe. So Christians, when Christianity came to those lands, they added their signature greeting, which is of course the kiss. The kiss of peace is a very biblical way of exchanging Christian peace.
Speaker 2: Wow. So the Christmas season doesn't just end. I mean many people think it ends obviously the day after Christmas, and maybe in my mind and many others, it's become too commercialized. But the true spirit of Christmas, as we read in your book, has much to do and not much to do about buying something. It's more about adoration, love, sharing kindness and doing things like that. But what happens, it goes on all the way as you describe book Epiphany, and then we talk about even a connection beyond that into the month of February. Short answer on.
Speaker 1: That, that's correct, and that's one of the downsides of the modern Christmas is that we keep starting the Christmas season earlier and earlier. This year, I saw jack O lanyards and Christmas trees side by side for sale in the store. We don't even wait for the day after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: It absolutely, absolutely and one of.
Speaker 1: The downsides of that is the more you stretch that out, by the time you get to December twenty fifth, you're practically sick of Christmas, which is unfortunate. So I do think the older model was better, which was, hey, let's still have joy. There is joy in advent, but let's focus on restraint and preparation. Then when Christmas Day comes, we pull out all the stops and we observe the twelve days of Christmas, this period of unbroken merriment between December twenty fifth and the Feast of the Epiphany on January sixth, And like you said, in some cases they found ways of extending the party even beyond January sixth. I think that's a better way to do it.
Speaker 2: My final question, and I'd like to do this again with you, and I'll ask you again about a new book maybe coming down the pike, but simply from your own words from the heart, what can Christians do to recapture the true spirit of Christmas?
Speaker 1: Well, actually, I would just what I said. I think obviously we keep the religious meaning in mind first and foremost, but also observing the season in a way in which there is a long period of restraint and joy, but then to really focus on the jubilants of Christmas and meditate on the mysteries of a nativity for those twelve days.
Speaker 2: Michael Foley, You're awesome guests and look forward to having you again. Any indication of something a sneak preview on this show, a little news breaking thing here that might be coming down As far as the next book.
Speaker 1: Title, absolutely, I've got a couple things in the pipeline. One is a cookbook. I have teamed up with Father Leo Patalinghug who is a very renowned chef. He has his own show on cable TV. We are doing Dining with the Saints, so we will be providing wonderful recipes for the feast days of the church here and he and I are also hosting a riverboat pilgrimage cruise in April of next year where we will go through We will cruise down the Dual River through Portugal and Spain and it's going to be great fun and we invite everyone to join us.
Speaker 2: Is there a website that people can go to Michael that you suggest?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so, go to Drinking withthe Saints dot com that will give you information about the cruise and You can also like and follow us on Facebook. We have a Drinking with the Saints page and Instagram which is Drinking Saints.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Michael Foley, stay on the line with us as we go to that hardbot. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we wish each and every one of you, as I'm sure Michael and his family do, are most merry, joyous and healthy. Merry Christmas and a great, healthy and happy twenty twenty three. You're listening to me Steve Kates the Doctor Sky Experience here on America's iconic radio station again, Talk Radio seventy seven WABC out of New York City and around the world on WABC radio dot Com, the crown jewel of talk radio, with great guests from the realms, normally of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, celebrity guests in the mix, and very many guests from American exceptionalism. Thanks to our special guests Michael p. Foleing. We'll see you next week, ladies and gentlemen, with more adventures. As Doctor Sky always reminds everybody, always remember to keep your eyes to the skies, as I'm simply your navigator on the highway. Thank you, Michael thank you,