Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty two of Dive and Dive. It is Monday, June eighth. I am your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuk and Jeffrey pattern Nostro. How was the weekend for everybody?
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time trying to remember which Germany World Cup is the best lowth our math house, much like Nucklebauman Love.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, this is the SETEA zero Ceroh sorry, I think the most successful I'm actually playing. I've I've basically given up on eighty two and oh yeah, I have not given up.
Speaker 2: On I'm annoyed because now they're doing like they've gone too far where like if you do the do the rundown, they do it minute by minute, just tell me the score and who's scored. Well, you can switch it, thankful, I haven't figured out you can.
Speaker 1: You can go to ultra fast or whatever or automatic. You don't even have to go to match my match. So it is. Yes, there are many.
Speaker 2: I like watching. I like watching it match by match, but I don't like the running clock, like.
Speaker 1: Go well, I think it'll do the running clock, but if you do it on.
Speaker 2: The ball manager running clock, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: If you do it on Ultra, it's very fast. So I did. I did.
Speaker 2: I should say I did finally get the seventy and I got it without we didn't even go to penalties. That's time whenever you match straight out. Yeah, I'm very proud of having Eric Winalda in my front line too, because I had to pick somebody from the ninety four.
Speaker 1: I still I still haven't gotten it from memory because frankly I'm not.
Speaker 2: They've added They've added more crops now, they've added more cups now where.
Speaker 1: Every single time I get nineteen fifty I'm screwed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, there's a lot of Algerian teams.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. But I got to tell you this also, like even when I've done the normal, like not from memory, I'm losing a nineteen fifty two Scotland in the in the quarters or the round of sixteen or whatever, like constantly, I don't what is going on. When nineteen two I had to ask Bowman, I was like, was nineteen fifty two Scotland good? And he was like, no, Like they're never good.
Speaker 2: I think they've just had to add some They've added some teams where there's like not many good players to make it harder, but also just to get teams you can beat in the group stage, right, like they needed enough.
Speaker 1: It is absolutely killing me on from memory though, because I don't I'm building out my memory by playing it the regular way and.
Speaker 2: Left back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right, and like, okay, that's a name I remember that was decent, Like I now have that logged in my bank. Yeah, that's basically.
Speaker 2: I was playing three four to three for a while, but I enjoy having a palom modinia left back too much, so I've gone back to four three three.
Speaker 1: I've been doing. Uh is it is it? Four three two one four two three one four.
Speaker 2: Two three one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I like that. That's why I like playing in FIFA.
Speaker 2: Sure. I like having multiple striker options though, just so I can you know, there's too many good strikers I do, like I saw you showed me one of yours from last night, and uh they've added the sixty six Portugal team with Usabio. Yes, and Usabio being a ninety five is a joke, like he needs to be a ninety nine like he was. I know they didn't I know they lost in the semis, but like, come on, man, I messed World Cup performances of all time.
Speaker 1: I mentioned I was messaging with Dowmon. It was also Shocker Salmon, former VP editor, and he was also talking about some of the various ratings in there, like and they've they did like buff some of them when they added sure teams. They've they've made some changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think one up from at some point. I think a couple of points too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Uh why am I the German goalie con Well Oliver? It depends on which which was like like like not he was like a ninety five instead of something and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, soccer was like this is nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, I I'm I'm I still really enjoy it. It is fun, A good balance. Eleven guys is like the max you should have to pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, soccer, I just don't. I don't care for it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I did realize, Okay, I did realize that I I am going to a concert during the first World Cup game on Friday, which was poor not great planning on my part. But that's why it's US Paraguay. Like I'll live. There's me a lot of soccer over the next month.
Speaker 1: So that sure is Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a it's like a second Olympics after the Olympics that I have to like.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 3: I will accept this. It's a socond provice on my part, and I hope you guys appreciate it. Like you guys, like everyone everyone listening, I'm suffering right now just a little bit. Yeah, uh and for your joy, you know, I accept that this is.
Speaker 2: My second world cop out obviously in the winner. So I gotta figure out. I watched, I watched. I just watched much of the games at home. I will try to get out. I think one of the good breweries that I like is showing most of the games, so I'll try to pop out for some games. But again, I have a five year old, and they're like, because it is in you know, the us Cana in Mexico, they're all like what you would consider normal sports watching times, which are terrible for me. Yeah, I mean like the eleven AM games. I will say part.
Speaker 1: I got my now six year old, Yeah, not much different from your five year old. Very much into Argentina. I like Shell.
Speaker 2: She'll she likes soccer in the abstract, but will not actually sit down and watch soccer with me.
Speaker 1: He enjoyed it. He got into the World Cup, and so I'm hoping he gets into it again. We'll see about We'll see about the three year old though. That's that's gonna be I see. I will say, speaking of of having the games, like having the games on I this weekend, I took an annual trip to outback steakhouse that I do with my wife and a friend. I'm a huge app back then. Yeah, uh it was fantastic. But I walk in and the there was a wait. Was was great to see for me. I just I love seeing that. I love I love seeing an outback.
Speaker 2: Equity can't ruin everything.
Speaker 1: And uh so we waited at the at the bar. Two baseball games on. When we walk in. Baseball is doing great, folks. It was wonderful to see. Now, don't think further about the fact that there was absolutely nothing else that could possibly be on.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's a there was the I got it.
Speaker 1: It was Saturday, so there was no there got about. There were no NBA finals, no professional tag.
Speaker 2: I got a push notification.
Speaker 1: I did say. I thought maybe the Lumberjack games or something would be on, Like who knows.
Speaker 2: I have I have Fox Sports push notification set up on my phone. I don't know why. Probably related to the last World Cup and just never took them off. But they want to let me know that the UFL semi final between Louisville and Saint Louis What is what is the uf That is the Spring Football League, which if used to believe, actually exists.
Speaker 1: Okay, football, got it?
Speaker 2: He getting notifications for it only from my Fox Sports ap.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm mmm, Patrick, anything for your weekend?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that I was very very pure intensive weekend. I got a lot of things, a lot of pruning this weekend. But I didn't stop at a garage sale on the way to a thing for my kid, and I got a baseball and uh, there this guy was selling two baseball He was.
Speaker 2: Not what is it a yellow baseball?
Speaker 3: No, it's not a yellow baseball. It was yellow wing. But this guy in two baseballs and he clearly did not know anything about baseball. He did not care about it baseball. He was selling them for someone else. They were autographed. The first one was Brett Boone and I was like, I'll pass. And then the second one just had a bunch of like it was it's much more weathered and fading and in bad shape. So I was like, can you take five bucks for it? Because this was day two his garagelle, and he said, fine. The signatures on it are a delight. I've decoded most of them, but I have a couple left.
Speaker 1: Can I ask like, what do you do with this ball?
Speaker 3: Because crag yeah, I have I have a case. I have a small glass case that fits nine baseballs, which now I get to replace a baseball that isn't as good right as this one?
Speaker 1: Okay, right? So what do you do with that ball?
Speaker 3: That ball of the ninth ball that now the tenth ball?
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I might don't know what happened to your people that you drop from the MySpace top six, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly? They just they just disappear. You never think about them again.
Speaker 1: Might not shot you. I was never on my oh man.
Speaker 3: So so the signatures on this baseball are kind of perfect for me. It's a very lookout landing mid twenty tens coded baseball. You've got let's see, let's see. You've got Julio Cruz, you got Dave Valley, you got Stephan Romero, you got Mike Zanino.
Speaker 1: Stephan Romero. Yeah, that really brings me back.
Speaker 3: You've got Dan Wilson whose signature is fading very very badly, like back in the future. Only only one, the only one that is baited out. All the other ones are perfectly fine. He just used a bad pen. Logan Morrison, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I forgot Logan Morrison was a he was bad with the Mariners. It was he was bad with the Mariners. Then had like the one bounce back with the Marlins, and with the Marlins like first he.
Speaker 3: Was okay like most Mariners of the year. He was okay for one year, and then they brought him back.
Speaker 2: And he was bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack's forensic got an actual Jackson. You can't see in the light. So there are two signatures left that I have not to go to the other one Bradon Miller of course, of course. So I've got two signatures on here. I will see if.
Speaker 2: It's one of them. Nick Franklin, great question.
Speaker 1: That is the era we're talking.
Speaker 3: No, I checked, Nick Franklin. I've checked all of them. So yeah, we're thinking maybe it might be Blake Bevan.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're one of my one of the first annual comments. I remember tracing directly to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, well the first one I ever wrote, the very first annual comment I ever.
Speaker 1: Wrote, that would be very Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping like there were certainly a few names on there I was kind of hoping for and like getting kind of disappointed they were on there.
Speaker 2: Tom will Will hel Munson, No.
Speaker 3: Tom Wihompson No, justin smoke my wife affectionately nicknamed Jowels. Yeah, but you know, Blake Bevan be great. I don't think this is Blake Bevan.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think people are.
Speaker 2: Say I'd ask if one of them is Wade Miley, but I assume you can just identify his signature immediately.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I don't know. We'll have to find out, but we'll see. We'll see what people think. It'll be exciting to find out there. We're finding out in real time. Someone saying the middle one is James Paxton. I don't think that's true. I think that we're gonna check the James Paxton autograph resource and oh it might be James Paxton.
Speaker 1: N Actually, oh, well, rather be.
Speaker 3: James Paxton or Brad Miller. I mean, James Paxton's.
Speaker 2: Definitely James Paxton, but he's almost too good for Patrick.
Speaker 3: He's almost, yeah, he's almost.
Speaker 2: It needs to be like Patrick would be happier if it was Andrew Moore.
Speaker 3: Actually, I would be very much Andrew Moore. And uh, let's see every single catcher.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Clement, Clement. What was his first name, Clement, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, sadly Jeff Clement did not make it in his career until twenty fourteen. Yeah, yeah, that'll be exciting anyway. That's mine, that's my manager.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to the first stegment of the show. Do you know how the West was won? We are looking at the Al West. We look at it too much, like to be looking at the Al West.
Speaker 2: It's like fascinating in a completely scientific and detached way.
Speaker 1: But you're saying it's it's I think, yeah, I get what you're saying. It's a little like a car crash, right, like you're looking at it, but but also like I don't I don't want to be looking at it.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it like it's also a speaking of car crashes, kind of like a Cronenberg film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have one team over five hundred. Yes, it is Patrick's Seattle Mariners.
Speaker 3: Well by the time we record this, it'll be a day later and they'll figure it out a way to lose two games.
Speaker 2: They have a lot sweat three or four.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, they've lost the car seven and three in their last ten because they won seven in a row, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then yeah they got mcgonagalld. I was watching this on game day on my phone.
Speaker 1: Why you don't have to watch anything involving in Kevin mcgonigald. We will get a chat.
Speaker 2: The thing is it was four one going into the ninth, right, yes, it was, so it was. It was not a good.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, so like you know, watching on the time delayed.
Speaker 2: Dots, Yeah, and just like and like at back keeps getting worse where there's like it won't update for two minutes and then like four pitches happen, yes, and then.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the score will update before the event happens.
Speaker 2: Yes. And it tries to do like the like the little like Atari thirty two hundred, like top down view of where the ball is going and the runners are right.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's slowing everything down. Yeah, yeah, so it's trying to it's trying to show all the fielders and I don't I don't care. I don't care this case. In this case, the fielders did tell what happened, because before the event showed, all the dots started walking off the field.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, but it was Kevin McGonagall.
Speaker 3: It's like, all right, well, I already knew that anyway, right, there was no way Kevin McGonagall was not going to walk that off. And he did.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, he specifically walked it off.
Speaker 3: Andres Munos, Yes, Andres Munos has had I'm gonna call it a trying.
Speaker 1: First few months of the season. Yeah, Patrick, this is where I was hoping you would step in.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, man, Like the peripherals aren't terrible, like he's he is giving up more home runs than usual in the sense that he is giving up like five times as many home runs as last year, but twice as much as his usual rate. He is walking about this.
Speaker 1: He has given up four home runs this season, which might not sound like a lot he give up to all of last year in.
Speaker 2: Forty I mean for by June eight, for any relieve or is not, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Not, it's it's basically he he has never given up more than six in a season.
Speaker 3: So and like the walk in strikeout rates are thermal. Yep, he is giving up twice as many hits as usual. I think, you know, before you just call it luck, I think he's just like he has no command.
Speaker 1: He has no.
Speaker 3: Command right now, and so he's getting himself in the hitters counts constantly.
Speaker 2: And so he got McGonagall came up with whatever guy's on the second and third and he threw I think was just a backup slider that wasn't close on the first patch, and then tried to come in with a fastball and like wa Keith thos hard and McGonagall was just like, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna pull this at the right field.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was the you know, even on like on game damn, like all right, this is the pitch in the world ahead and just like it's it's been like that for him. He is putting himself in these positions where he's constantly putting him you know, he's working from behind, and you know it's a reliever. He's a reliever, and relievers just lose their touch. And when they lose their touch, they don't lose it for three stars. They lose it for half a season. Because that's the same amount of time. And I don't I don't know. I don't think there's anything wrong with him. I also wouldn't blame him mariners if they took him out of the closer role for a while, because he's also like the other problem with him is that he's getting killed with the platoons. But let's see what's his what is his split right now? He's giving him a nine to twelve PST to lefties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at like his year over year numbers, and like.
Speaker 1: His his fastball is different, isn't it. I thought I saw he was like cutting his fastball that well, let's see.
Speaker 3: I'd have to look that up. He doesn't have a traditional career left right split, so this year's is a fun new wrinkle.
Speaker 1: So his four seam seen, I'm looking at just a year over year Brooks data. Yeah, and it's gone from like consistently minus six and a half to seven to minus four point five. So it's a couple of inches right of movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gone from like thirteen eleven to thirteen eight basically. What I don't know, he's getting less arm side movement. Yes, he's I wouldn't say he's cutting it, but he's getting less arm side movement.
Speaker 1: Well relative to what it was I think was the idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I mean I think the main like they're just hitting his slider a little bit more like it's still running a fifty percent with rate, but you know, everything's up a little bit, like the twitter points of slugging on the slider, one hundred points of slugging on the force one who's having to give four home runs this early in the season. You know he's always been he's been more of a flyball pitcher this year.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: The other thing is like is Patrick's point, like everything else is fine, Like closers can just have two months like this the Beauty of Believers.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, it is two hundred points of selling on the slider all the way up to three seventy three.
Speaker 2: I mean it matters is how much he throws that slider right like that it does.
Speaker 1: It does, but also the it's the fastball, right, I mean it is three sixty seven average and five sixty seven slot on the fastball.
Speaker 2: In the command Like there's a lot of red in the zone and he throws very hard, but that's not a great fastball. Shape as we've already run over even from his angle and extension and again, but this is just like, yeah, he said two months of giving up a couple extra home runs, right, I mean, yeah, yesterday was a full um blow up in a way that's not just like, okay, a bloop and a blast, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think the issue is it's not it's it's not just a couple of extra home runs, right, it's the extra home runs along with this other stuff. Right.
Speaker 2: And he's the guy that does he like the trivirals are about the same, but he does walk guys like is the command Like he's going to be a guy that walks four for nine, right, But he's going to put traving on. But he's usually going to strike out enough guys that's not going to matter, right.
Speaker 1: And if you're giving up, if you're gonna put guys on and then start giving up hits, and especially if those hits are home.
Speaker 2: Runs, like right, I would be I don't yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And the options right, like Edward Bizardo is still good.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say I'm like surprised by that, but they used him, so I'm not surprised. On a talent basis. I'm a surprised. I'm surprised. I'm like, just wear and tear that he's like come back as good as he has.
Speaker 3: Jose Ferre has been excellent. I wouldn't necessarily put him in the closer role, but you could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lefty, I mean left the specialist. He's very good.
Speaker 3: He's very good, but you know, also ground balls, you know.
Speaker 2: Right a Gabe Spire, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's been too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yeah. I mean they they don't need like, they're not so desperate they need to ride him out on this that they want. If they want to give.
Speaker 2: Him a break, they give him a blow for a couple of weeks too. I guess, like.
Speaker 1: Again, they don't want to, they want me.
Speaker 3: I don't think Dan Wilson wants to. I don't think Dan Wilson. I think Dan Wilson likes to have a you know, make things a little using for himself in terms of like the owner of the bullpen, right, I don't think he is at the point where he is able to juggle them as much as maybe maximizing when called for.
Speaker 2: Right behind them, I do before before we move on, I because I had it open. I have a question for Patrick who made the most starts to the twenty seventeen Mariners twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Uh, and so that's that's the era. When I stopped, I saw the name, like I have to ask you. That feels like a I mean, that's oh god, that's like, is that one of the years that James Paxton is healthy?
Speaker 2: Like it is, but it's not James Paxton.
Speaker 3: Oh, okayo made healthy?
Speaker 2: I should I mad? Like twenty five starts, that's.
Speaker 1: That's no idea.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, James Paxton's.
Speaker 2: Season, Yeah, I have no idea. James Paxton made the second most starts. He made twenty four starts.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The most starts on that team was Ario Miranda.
Speaker 3: And that's team was not terrible.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I was sitting down.
Speaker 2: There's seventy eight one team. Here. Here are the Ario Miranda twenty nine starts, James Paxton twenty four, Giovanni Gallardo twenty two. Do not remember the Yovanni era. It's not good. Felix Hernandez sixteen.
Speaker 3: That was that was at the end.
Speaker 2: Uh. Sam Gavagilo made eleven. Nope, yep, and you remember this one, Craig eleven starts for Resmo Ramirez.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, the fine eleven starts at that yea, yeah, sub for e r Although go down to go down the number seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have also Andrew Moore and Christian Bergman. Yeah, got a lot of people made it starts Marco Gonzale. Seven starts Mike Leek. Five starts the sashi Ya Kuma six stars chased DeJong. I haven't seen his name in a while.
Speaker 1: Four starts.
Speaker 3: All right, Dylan overs in one time.
Speaker 1: I'm moving us on. Yeah, a second place in the division. We will travel maybe, I guess in reverse.
Speaker 3: In some way shape from the Yovanni Guyardo career path.
Speaker 1: Another team he played for. Yeah, I do remember that, the Texas Rangers. They're like under five hundred place in this division. They are thirty two and thirty three. They are also seven and three in their last ten. There's getting more healthy, Jacob Duram, it's unfair.
Speaker 2: De gram is kind of having the Andrea's Moonio season where he's giving up too many home runs, but he doesn't walk anybody, so his areas in the low threes. But really it's been the lineup, like every time we do this segment, every time we talk about the Rangers, which is not that often, but it's been a few times this year. I checked to see if Josh Young is so healthy and he still is. He's played sixty games year. Has he guil durand still been good? Future All Star second baseman? Is he guild Duran? I?
Speaker 1: Well so, I mean Patriolla does this every year, right as the voting becomes available and he updates it.
Speaker 2: In all this, there's a lot of games to play until the All Star break.
Speaker 1: And I'm not trying to shoot on Duran who has a one thirty five ops plus, but like the state of second base in the American League is dire. Yeah, yeah, because I think it is.
Speaker 2: And you know what I say to that, Craig never wrong, just early.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, he's having a great year, yea, he is. Essentially it feels like he has a mon star. Josh H. Smith is Josh Smith.
Speaker 2: That's one of those two where like I don't think people realize how dog shit a park that is the hidden It's yeah, like there he's at like an eights, Like he's been good, but that's like thirty five percent better than the gaverage because of the stadium he plays in his home game, right, but.
Speaker 3: We can can stop the Josh Smith, right, Josh, that's just what he is. No, I know it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not saying with you.
Speaker 3: I'm saying we all can just just Josh at this point. Yeah, fair enough, he's Yeah, he'll probably like at this point, does he played left?
Speaker 1: He's been hurt. He's hurt, but so it's also awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the part of the monstring thing is it's not just that someone else's is like you, it's your shit doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Jack Peterson having.
Speaker 2: The having the Jack Peterson complimentary.
Speaker 1: This park, you know, you look at two thirty eight, three forty seven, four thirty nine doesn't seem so great, but it is a rough park. Wyatt Langford just came back off the I l like you say, it's the lineup, but the lineup.
Speaker 2: Is I mean, it's got Josh Young and Zekio Duran carry, which is not great but also the.
Speaker 3: Most still has decent seasonal numbers, but it's has been working.
Speaker 1: He got off a very strong start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's under four hundred now.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: He's also banged up because he's always banged up this time of year, and like the ground, the pitching hasn't been like Kumar Rocker has been surprisingly their second best pitcher on like the basics by r process sure, like hasn't been great. Lighter hasn't had a really bad start to the year.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's generally been fine Lighter and Gore. It's just that it's it's amazing that, like they they got Mackenzie Gore, and it's just you've collected a left handed Jack Lighter. Yes, yeah, like I don't it's the process stuff is He's that's unfair.
Speaker 2: He's better than Lighter, but like better than Lighter, But given what they traded for him, you would hope for more better than a low four c R right at this Yeah, at this point, and I mean, like we are to be clear, we are describing what is basically a five hundred team. Yeah, as a five hundred I.
Speaker 3: Feel like they've had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: Not a team where they've had everything go right to get to five hundred. They could have been more, they could be more. Yeah, but given the amount of like this, this seems fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like again, like the I know, last time we did this fairly recently. I think during the Marriors win streak, like they're just gonna run away with this division now, and they're kind of like they're still not again. It's only been a couple.
Speaker 1: Of weeks now, but I think they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess. No, I don't know, man, we're getting clothed. Like in some ways, the Rangers have the easier roster fixes if they want to go on the trade market. They also don't have much to trade, and we know Jerry Depoto will be active because he just has to be. It's intrinsic part of being Jerry to Poto is wants to trade start happening. He's gotta he's got to get involved.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I get like the Mariners are the better team, right if you look at their and they.
Speaker 1: Have gotten yeah, twenty five innings of two point one nine.
Speaker 2: Jacob Lats chat from No from Quandrille.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, Jacob Latts. I think it's not this good, but I think it's fine.
Speaker 2: The Jacob's, the Jake Janis and the Jake.
Speaker 1: Jenis and Jake Jake Latts combo is absolutely deadly.
Speaker 2: My two Jakes exactly.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I I mean, I I just don't think. I don't think there's enough here, and I don't think there's enough to draw, like they've already gone to Justin Foscue. They've gone, you know, like I.
Speaker 2: Don't, I mean, they're yeah, they've been a little bit about leavadage of the lineup just because Evan Carter and Seeger have been so bad and you already mentioned Josh Smith. The catching situation, I guess Skushi Oak has been fine, but like the catching situation isn't great either, And yeah you're like that, like, yeah, the pen's been quite good good frankly, yeah, yeah, but it's going to be allowed. I mean, I think I don't like who am I to doubt Jake Junis, I guess, but like I don't, look, I don't know if Lats and Junis will do this, but like Tyler Alexander and Jalen Beaks are both fine and like they have guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think the better argument for this bullpen is that Chris Martin and Robert Garcia will be healthy at some point, I mean, I guess, and they're actually pretty decent.
Speaker 2: We keep saying the Mariners are going to eventually run away with this division. But they every week they don't kick it in the year, like it gives yeah, but a chance to yeah.
Speaker 1: But who Yeah, I don't think we'll just even if they don't run away, like they're gonna slowly pull away even through their own incompetence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd be mine to me. With the Rangers, I think what it is is that you have a lot of players with one twenty five ops pluses, with one oh five trc pluses, sure, and a lot of guys with like actually eighty five, Like DRC does not buy this offense at all, and like, to be fair, some of that is just the way that DRC feels about the way that Texas hits, like Ezekiel Durant is never gonna be beloved because he's a high contact Yeah, variants guide but like yeah, you like they've gotten here with you know, a one twenty six ops from from Justin Boscue, Like they've got they've gotten this with the Josh Young you know first.
Speaker 1: Half, Like what what happens when he.
Speaker 3: Heart Yeah, Evan Carter, you know, like well Evin Carter seven Carter, but John Peterson, you're getting a night Evan.
Speaker 1: Carter has an eighty two OPS plus and he's hitting one seventy two. Yeah yeah, like if he could hit at all, he'd be very good.
Speaker 2: Right yeah.
Speaker 3: I to me, it feels like with the injuries there's more negative regression. He's got Corey Seeker who is still hitting one eighty three himself, so you're gonna get some mouse back there. But uh, there's a lot of guys. It's crazy how many guys are hitting below two hundred and none of them are Jock Peters. Oh, which is weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that again, The argument today is like Corey Seeker is not going to hit one eighty three for the whole season, right Like, if he's healthy, he should. He's always been a incredible production when healthy guy, so you would generally assume that would. But it's not enough. It's not enough. I don't see it. I don't know. Do you want to go to the A's. Sure the A's can hit y. Pitching is another story.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny they actually have a better YA plus. I don't the S plus, which I would not have guessed.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a lot of that is the adjustment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the one year park factor on b f is one twenty, so yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Forty three run differential. I should note the Rangers are at plus fourteen, so they're they're doing okay.
Speaker 3: Uh, the athletics are not. Shaye Langeleiers is repeating his success.
Speaker 1: Again. Some of this is the park, but repeating his success the power is not surprising. Nick Kurtz is fine. Uh, he is striking out an unconsortable amount. He is walking an unconscionable.
Speaker 2: Amount sitting for more power. Yep, we're past the recently. Yeah, yeah, we're past than I think we've gotten over the Nick Johnson line. At least the power is coming.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: He is just shy of a five hundred slug at this point, which, again for that park, is not necessarily Yeah, you know, Carlos Cortes has a for eighty four slug, Nick yes has a ninety four.
Speaker 2: Are moving in opposite directions?
Speaker 1: Yes, sure, I'm just saying, well.
Speaker 2: I mean part of the like this is very much like a Stars and Scrubs lineup. Yeah, even on like I don't like, maybe I'm being mean to some of the scrubs, but like on performance right, like Jack McNeil is a sixty eight oh ps plus, Lawrence Butler's thirty seven. Brent Rooker is eighty four. You know, Brent Rooker is just hitting two six with two eighty four on base.
Speaker 1: Percentage, right, yeah, and Soda Strum is not so has been okay, like he's been fine, but like for them to not have soder Strum or Rooker.
Speaker 2: Hitting yeah, right, And then the pitching has had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 1: Severino is out out, yeah, Jacob Lopez off the Rosterali's out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They called up gate Jump, who I think is good.
Speaker 1: Someone made a comment to us recently about how we say somebody is it is it is? It is? Okay, I've been saying, I said Saville at some.
Speaker 2: Point it's civil, civilly civil. The SIV is capitalized, so maybe it's maybe it's civilly.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's that's that's a struggle for me.
Speaker 3: Keep laughing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Thought, we're not we're not getting better.
Speaker 2: JT Jin has been quite good. Yeah, I don't know that. I I mean he's a sinkerballer, which I guess helps. He's also, as Patrick will point out, uh, he has he has his hits for nine is in bold font. Yes, I don't.
Speaker 1: That's something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's six for nine, so that means it is the lowest qualified pictures of qualified pictures. Yeah, I don't know. He has a again I don't missing.
Speaker 1: I mean he's missing a decent amount of again someone who's.
Speaker 3: But he's also only getting so he's not even.
Speaker 2: Uh Yeah, Jeff Springs has been healthy and again like he has a four point three seven e R which is and that sounds about right. Yeah, so it's a slightly above hour so and their bullpen has been all right again considering the part context.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's you're saying JT Jim, but Gage Jump is probably the most interesting. Yeah pitcher. Now that he's here, yep, he's made three starts, eighteen innings, only thirteen strikeouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. I think the strikeouts will come. I'm not super worried about that. I just like they have some easy holes to fill that could help them a lot, and they just do not have the bullets to fire here. Yeah, Like I don't like Leo DeVries is still probably a year away, and then like past that, it get it's like they called up Henry Boltay, and he's been all right for you know, he is a obp over slugs, which is fine.
Speaker 1: Like they it's been a hit for Power.
Speaker 2: You're thinking of Power. But he's like a useful player.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Max Month's the other Max Month. He's hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he had been all right. Like they really need they really need like Brent Rooker to be Brent Brooker or Lawrence Butler to be better for this because they're pitching hasn't Like I think they're just going to run out of bullets. It's a it's a long hot summer in West Sacramento, and I think that pitch.
Speaker 1: We're just we're in are we in late early June or are we in early mid June?
Speaker 2: We are we're in late early or late early June. It's still a single digit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, that gives me so joy. That's good, it really does. I think that sums out it's going to come down to Rooker and to maybe a lesser extent from kind of McNeil.
Speaker 2: Like that group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't believe in Butler, but sure like thirty seven ops plus like I can get come fair enough. Let's talk about the astros.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We talked about them recently too, and it's kind of they are four and a half back, yeah, because they they have been slightly above five hundred the last couple of weeks, and.
Speaker 1: They and and only three back in the wildcard.
Speaker 2: Three back from the Rangers in the wildcard for the third wildcard spot. Ay, there can we just take a moment type out Jordan Alvarez, like, what's I mean, my god, getting like the full healthy season.
Speaker 1: The man is just sixteen. He feels the most six fifty.
Speaker 2: He feels almost somehow underrated still and I'm not sure, like again, this has been the.
Speaker 1: I mean he is I think I'm sure I've said this story. He's he's standos to me right, Like it's like, guy, you should not be able to hit yeah for that much power and swing and miss that little Yeah, I don't know how you get him out.
Speaker 2: I know he was like hurt last year and like if we're just say underrated, he got MVV votes in the previous three seasons.
Speaker 3: But how many seasons in his career I have I'm I'm looking at the ASTRO season page.
Speaker 1: How many seasons in his career has he had slugging over six hundred.
Speaker 2: This would full. I mean he came up in the half season twenty nineteen, was six fifty five, was six thirteen in his twenty twenty two and it's six fifteenth this year.
Speaker 3: It's that's still yeah, yees, yeah, I like that. Like so it's triple crown. You know, he is the closest thing we're gonna get to twitchriple Crown watch this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He is currently sixth's that's in the league. Let me let me look at like for the American League, he is a second in batting average behind yond Ds. He is leading the league in home runs and RBI. If you look at the slash line, he is leading in slugging percentage. Obviously, he is not leading OBP because he is percentage points behind Nick Kurtz. They're both at four thirty one. He could do it and the Astros could finished hundred five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just still doing it. Yeah, yeah, they seem it's again it's not a bad lineup. Again. They their outfield remains a huge issue, as it does pretty much every year recently. Their best outfielder by OPS plus is, of course, Taylor Tromal ninety seven three fifty seven three ninety one with a right Yeah, strike out right, and I should say anyha likes like Spencer Ragedy's not been great recently. They're getting he threw his first clutter, he threw his first clunkert he's been really he's walking five per nine.
Speaker 3: But he had a four run, four inning. Yeah start against the Pirates.
Speaker 2: They're getting Hunter Hunter Brown is probably making his last rehab start this each will have him back soon. I don't know. I guess they just have a spot because mccolors is on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a couple of spots they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have spots. They can move kiway Tying back to the bullpen like Burrows is like, yeah they could just.
Speaker 3: He is leading and earn runs and home runs.
Speaker 2: You're gonna let Tom I keep working it out. I guess fine, Yeah they have break. Burrows could use a break. Yeah, uh yeah, I just yeah, we don't spend that much time on the astros. I feel like I want to talk about Jordan, So yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Lamont Waite Junior is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah he came up and yeah he had a good game, did they So I guess now that he's back healthy and hitting did they trade Pain yet the deadline? I mean, you make him available, like he's gonna be by far the best hit her to see that you get a season plus on the and that like the Braves could. I mean, I know Dubond's been fine and Jorge Mateo has been good, which we'll get to in a minute, but like I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Don't feel like they should but also I feel like they should have, ye know, like figured out the situation right now. Yeah, alto eight being kind of looking like he might be done, it's not helping, right because you know, it looks like the best lineup for the Astros going forward is paying it short praise at second and grade third when everybody's healthy.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't see them doing it. Doesn't It doesn't feel like y're praying to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like they're not gonna They've been fairly clear they're not going to resign them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I just sit there and let them go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I do it.
Speaker 2: You could do it, and you could do it in the season two, right, like there might be more here.
Speaker 1: Here's my question. If you're if you're gonna say, like, well, they trade Jeremy Painna, So what it's an acknowledgement they've refused to make. Yeah, and what does it say about the What does it say about what they think their next couple of years are?
Speaker 2: Its true, yes, but they do at some point here have to move an infielder they can't keep. I know, like a lot of these guys get hurt Painia and Korea included, but like they can't kind of keep and they're still playing camp sent in the outfield. Like I know, he's a pretty good outfielder at this point, but like it's a very unoptimized at this point.
Speaker 1: It's been so long since he.
Speaker 2: Played the infield, I know, since college.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, I don't think I think he's an outfielder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might just be.
Speaker 1: I just think it's not only that they haven't made the acknowledgment. But like then you then you have to trade. You have to trade Paradis, you have to trade walk.
Speaker 2: Again, Like again, what do you do?
Speaker 1: What are you doing with your Don Alvarez? Then? I mean, why did you sign Tsuya in mine? Why? I mean, and these are those were questions at the time, don't get me wrong, But.
Speaker 2: You can to open up a spot, right, Like, it's not They're not trading.
Speaker 3: Your best infielder to open up a spot. Carlos is hurt for the so who are you opening a spot for?
Speaker 2: No, I mean just to like for the long for the medium term, not even long.
Speaker 1: He is the long term he should be.
Speaker 2: But they're not going to resign him and he has one more year of control after this. Yeah, Like that's the that's the thing. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like this, there are two things that the Astros won't do and they don't work well together.
Speaker 1: That's that's well, well said, I guess. So, uh we'll move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry angels, Yeah, the angels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, well next topic, we can go on to.
Speaker 2: Our next I did run down, Yes, do you want any thoughts? Do you have any thoughts on Sebastian Roberto apparently all hell?
Speaker 1: I was in and out of that game. I I saw some stat whereas like Dalton Rushing and he were both four for four at one point. I don't know how it ended, but they were four for four.
Speaker 2: Well, Berbero was five for five.
Speaker 1: So okay, I mean, incredible game. I don't know what else to where.
Speaker 3: Does it rank on the Austin wins scale is my question.
Speaker 2: This is like if you could distill the norm cash season into one game, this is what it would look like. Okay, yeah, that's the way I would put it. We should note, because it is of interest with the pod that Joe Adelle had a four under and thirty three foot home run in this game as well, and went four for five himself. Still did not get the uh ops over seven hundred, but you know, it's to work in a progress. Yeah, Rivero five for five with a double six RBIs.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our second segment, Hot Lanta. Yeah, we have not talked about Atlanta as much.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like it's both boring because they just keep winning and it's also boring because they just keep winning while starting Bryce Elder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like the story of the season for the Braves hasn't happened yet, right, the stories you have they managed to do it this long, yeah, which there could be longer, or the story is a falling apart, which hasn't fair given how last year went. Well, yeah, no, it's it's not fair and a lot of.
Speaker 1: People and a lot of people were like, well they were done last year and like not everyone's going to bounce back and blah blah blah, and they had a lot of pitching injuries and all this. It seems unfair to say, like this story, he hasn't happened yet. This is a story like they they.
Speaker 2: They get off, had them division by five games?
Speaker 1: How many had them in first place?
Speaker 2: The coda did.
Speaker 1: Did sure? And I think we were all kind of like.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've again, like they've they've gotten some significant bounce backs, right like lb Azzi Albis has turned back into Ozzi Alby's. Yeah, Michael Harris is having the best season of his career, like beyond just a bounce back. Yeah, you know he's hitting three oh six three forty five twenty three y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Harris walked eleven times. I mean he he'sn't walking, but he's already halfway to his Like this is like most in the season is twenty five.
Speaker 2: Some of this is like the Miguel Vargus where he's like he's still chasing forty four. The process has not changed it here at all. Here, the outcome has.
Speaker 1: The thing with Harris is that he's slugging five twenty right, Like Harris is who Harris is in a lot of ways. But he's slugging five to twenty and.
Speaker 3: That is it.
Speaker 2: He has bumped his average exits by three miles an hour, and he's hitting the ball in the air more.
Speaker 1: That's how you start.
Speaker 2: He's not swinging. He's always swung hard. He's swinging about as hard as he ever has. You know, he's still swinging and missing a fair amount. But again, doesn't matter when you're slugging five hundred. Yeah, he remains a good defensive center fielder. Like and again, like Matt Olsen, keeps staving off father time. By father time, I mean me predicting his swing.
Speaker 1: Years Pete Alonzo to electric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then they've got they've got like they braves get some bullshit every year, right when they're good, and they've.
Speaker 1: Got Mauricio Dubon and Jorge Matteo and Dominic Smith and more dominics. You're right, it's Dominic Smith more than more than the other two.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Dominic Smith has a better ops than Ronald Acunya.
Speaker 1: By the way, I just want to give you a small update. Keet Alonso up to a one seventeen ops plus. We're closing in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was one nineteen the other day.
Speaker 1: So them oh am, I am I thinking of I'm thinking of Devers's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Colons has been.
Speaker 2: Improved, has been better recently.
Speaker 1: Is only one of four so stole aways together.
Speaker 2: And like then you look at the pitching and like, okay, Chris Sale again, Chris Sale is quietly well.
Speaker 1: Also this was also powered in a lot of ways, just before we go to the pitching by the Drake Baldwin descendence and he's hurt now, but I mean an absolutely unreal season until until he got hurt, but go go ahead.
Speaker 2: Really should have kept Jonaheim. Yeah, yeah, Sale has been incredible. Like in most years he would be like an El Say young favorite, but he's like the fourth best pitcher the NL this year behind.
Speaker 3: It's kind of it's kind of a Chris Sale career.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and like they've gotten like Martine Perez and Bryce Elder, Like I don't think this will continue because like it never does for these guys. But the winds are banked, you know, right, Glaciers is back to being one of the best closers in baseball. Robert Suarez has been better than Rachel Gracias.
Speaker 1: One thing. One thing, we didn't talk about just this. This came up on the subject. There was a there was a we didn't talk about this on the Angels because we understand just over them read debt Mars has been very good. Yeah, Fangrafts had an article. Ryan Blake, uh had an article all about debt mers and and I do want to note this he said, like he might be the best left hander in baseball. And I again, I like Ryan Blake and is a good article. You should read it. But I my immediate reaction to this was, did Chris saie die ye? Like I understand, you know, Garrett Crochet has had a.
Speaker 2: Bad year a couple of weeks, Like.
Speaker 1: There's stuff right, well, but he's hurt. I get that Chris Sale is here and looking like Chris Sale. Yeah, let's let's not bury Chris Sale yet.
Speaker 2: And like Sales, And like any injury when you're a thirty six year old pitcher can be a problem, but like his injury is kind of a freak thing, right, Like he dove and broke a rib or something last year, fractured a rib and he's just come back picked up where he left off. Like it's kind of amazing. He's like he's been eerily consistent since uh the trade to Atlanta, like just on a ppheral level side of his face, like rib injuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had some like really terrible bat ball luck at the beginning of last year.
Speaker 2: Yaind of and he like he was also like out at the end of the very end of twenty twenty four. Even he won the cy Young right like three hundred innings, but he missed the last a few starts in the playoffs for them. Uh yeah, Like.
Speaker 1: It's just Martine Perez is saying, if if Brice Elder can do it, why can't I. I mean, this is we're getting We're up to thirteen sorry, nine games started, so we're closing in on that tenth game. Guys, I think I.
Speaker 3: Think it's more reasonable to assume that because Paris is here, Bryce Elder's like taking some tips. Here's how I look, here's how to fake it. Keep be doing okay, But.
Speaker 1: He's up to fourteen Martin Martin Paris, the Pumpkin on mar Team Paris is ten games, about which he's at nine right starts, specifically, I want to be clear, So he's at nine. He has a three point zero two e er.
Speaker 2: Well, they do get the Mets offense this week, so that might continue.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I don't know the pitching. Look, I think there's a bit of a regression coming, right, which isn't bold to say about.
Speaker 2: A team, a team that's not like one hundred and fifteen win pace.
Speaker 1: Now, Spencer Strider's been a little bit up and down. The fastball shape kind of keeps creeping towards I don't think he's getting back to what he was, but towards towards something that's workable. He's still striking out close to eleven per nine, walking too many batters. I think it's the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Though, Like yeah, look, I mean, right.
Speaker 1: Are extremely good, but they both have a sub one e r a Dylan Lee barely above that Dylan Dodd.
Speaker 2: Dylan Dodd is sixteen to two strike out to walk ratio in twelve and two thirds.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and it has a one point four two.
Speaker 2: D has been very good in the penent for them, which I mean, that's surprising.
Speaker 1: That's a great fit for him.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so I don't want to say like this this they cut Aaron Bummer, who had been the weakest point in the pen. I don't want to say this pen is like due to regress badly. These are good pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look's if worse comes worse and they you don't have issues depend down the stretch, like you know, there's always Craig Kimbrel.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they're they're biggest problem, and it's not obvious.
Speaker 1: They don't have a lot of big problems. They've had really quality backfills like Hassan Kim as a negative nineteen oh ps. Plus, I don't know what they're gonna do. You know, they'll just I guess they're gonna keep keep playing Duban and Jorge Matteo. But yeahine will but will it be fine?
Speaker 3: Right? Like you want to capture these guys and and rotate off as you can to like you're more established guys.
Speaker 1: You you want Kim to figure it out and be there so those guys can not be over exposed as the season goes on. Yeah, I don't know what else, what else there's to say?
Speaker 2: I mean that, you know, I mean they're gonna win.
Speaker 3: That that's why we're not talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the last thing that our rundown are they better than the Dodgers? They've been better than the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're starting Bryce Elder in Game three right now.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's a great series. Yeah, Look, my default would be I think the Dodgers are the best team in baseball, So I guess no, but no, slight meant I think it would be. I think they're very.
Speaker 2: Close again because of the twenty twenty five Like, and I know the twenty twenty four season didn't end great for the Braves either, Like they're still like they're capable of winning the Pennant. They're capable being the Dodgers in the seven game series with this roster, Like it's not even beyond the like any team has a chance in a seven game series, is the Dodgers have proved over the years, Like, yeah, we'll see again, Like it's tough to know what this team will look like. They can hit October two.
Speaker 1: They can hit, they can field. Yeah, we probably haven't seen the best of Ronald Acuna this year. Yep, but they can hit, they can feel, they have a great bullpen, Like there's no reason. Yeah, I mean, look, I think if someone wanted to say they're better than the Dodgers, certainly right now, not just based on record, but based on the team composition. I don't think that's like insane. I think I think the Dodgers are the best team in baseball.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, there's the one until you like, until your ko the champ, right like the champs the champ right.
Speaker 1: As as Davis said, I guess right like yeah. I also I just think, like, do you believe in you know, the Dodgers have their own Bryce Elder and Justin Robleski. Sure, do you believe in? Okay Sales Sale the best pitcher between the two staffs.
Speaker 2: It's sling Yawamoto, Like you could pick either one, I think, frankly, like, I don't think.
Speaker 3: It's Shoheo Tani has a point seventy four e er.
Speaker 2: This right and again that's soft, but there's no thing as a hard point seven forty r a outside of like the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's had some starts where he's absolutely struggled with his command, but the.
Speaker 2: Stuff I think, Yeah, I think like Atlanta's lineup is arguably a little deeper.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean Will Smith has not been great obviously, Kyle Tucker has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made, Yeah, I don't like that lineup is just like a little it's a little meat. It's older than the Brave lineup. Even the Brave line is not young at this one.
Speaker 1: Dodgers lineup is older than everybody's up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, TONI somebody asked me, like, well, Tony's not hitting for as much power this year. I'm like, yeah, I think some of that is just he's also pitching, like it's just harder, like it's harder.
Speaker 1: Toll on his offense. Also, he is a nine to forty.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 1: I think it's I do not And he went into an extended slum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do not think at his age while pitching, you're going to see like the you're you're not getting You're not getting that kind of like three four six line from him yet, right.
Speaker 1: No, months, he's months, he's been incredible, turning it around.
Speaker 2: Before turning into one of the best position players in baseball right.
Speaker 1: And has bold and italic ink on his on his June Our War right now three point eight Yeah, this season already. And I don't think it's a joke.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's I guess he's legitimately a very good defensive center fielder. That is hitting for a lot of power.
Speaker 1: Like for a lot of power, right, I mean he's going to strike out, he's gonna chase, he's not gonna walk a ton, and he's hitting for power. This is in a lot of way. Look and they've basically been big brother, little brother, but this is Taoscar Hernandez with a good center field defense and a nice player, like the good version of Oskar. Yeah that's that's an incredible yep.
Speaker 3: But again, like Michael Harris is doing very soon stuff right, like they go toe to toe is basically my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. I mean Mookie Betts is also going toe to toe with Hassan Kim and m uh yes, are they better?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe a lot of baseball left.
Speaker 3: It's right now, it's looking very easy to say that the best series in baseball will not be the World Series, right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, but you know, I also like not to steal I Obviously, the NBA Finals are going on, a lot of people said, like, okay, see San Antonio was the was the real NBA Finals? And you know, you never know, you never know who's.
Speaker 2: The Jalen Brunson of the American League And why is it funny. Why is it Brian Rokio, Oh, come on, you can't.
Speaker 1: It's it's uh, it's Jose Capaira.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because you got to take a New York team, right, Yeah, that's true. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's take a break. Let's take a break, and we'll come back with the rest of this show. Okay, welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty two of five and five. We're on segment three. We're going around the horn. Patrick, I'm gonna I'm gonna open the floor for you because it was.
Speaker 3: A big emotion week. Yes, a few days, I don't know, you wrote about several of them. Yeah, so I'm gonna I'm gonna give you the floor. So yeah, a lot of guys who h A lot of guys who are picked a second of a good amount of money, are picking demoted, uh Brandon the diamonbacks.
Speaker 1: Like crucially, many of them a significant amount of money committed to several.
Speaker 3: Years ago, Yes, several years ago.
Speaker 1: Who are still we are finally given years in.
Speaker 3: The future, Like we're not. We're not the end of any of these deals, No, we are.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: So it's very funny to listen to the tone on some of these the Diamondbacks demoted Brandon Fought. Basically, the idea is that Fawn hasn't been starting for a while. He hasn't been good enough to start for the twenty twenty six Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: They've had some weirdly decent pitching.
Speaker 3: Weird some but uh, very like I think Hazen was was like kind of down about it. I think, or maybe it was Labello, but like basically like they're like, man, this sucks. We we really wish we didn't have to do this. But essentially he is their sixth starter and he is not stretched out enough to start because there hasn't been enough work. So basically sending him down so that he can stay in the four five inning range so when somebody gets hurt, he can come back up and do it. Also, he has been bad, Yeah, he's just like lost command.
Speaker 2: Brandon Bhoot was not particularly good when they signed him to this contract.
Speaker 1: Well, so the perfect yeah, yeah, the second half of looking like they it was it was very like confirmation bias. Yeah, we think he he had he had always had better peripherals than top line stuff, and then he had a second half where he was I don't know why this is sticking in my head. But he was like a three point seven four e R and everyone was like, he's it's time time here, And I'm like, that's not even like, yeah, that's solid, right maybe bats that was like their playoff run. It was like coming off twenty twenty three, right, so it's like their playoff run where he looked like one of their better pictures. But it still was yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The Red Sox did not feel as bad about Bayou. There was a there was a postgame interview where someone asked him if they viewed him as a starter. I don't know if you guys saw this. BeO had a translator, and that translator earned his pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah I saw that.
Speaker 3: Because BeO was used it particularly strong said language about his opinion about that question, and the translator mitigated bo, Yes, it was. BeO is still a starter. He'll be a starter in triple A. He boy, I mean fat, like at least fought is like he's got a great slider, and he also has not reached to count where he can throw it. He's like throwing it seven percent of the time because he just basically.
Speaker 1: Never at least, I think these are so similar I don't know to projection the entire time.
Speaker 3: But but the like if from from a numbers standpoint, yes, from from like a stuff standpoint, Fat is more boring as far as his his profile goes. He's just a conventional four pitch starter with a fifth pitch that's better than his four pitches. But he can't throw it Bao, like does not have a fastball at all. No, he cannot throw a fastball.
Speaker 1: And like he got five last year was because Lucas Giolito was there to give him Grez Bryce Elder situation, but without a fastball.
Speaker 3: And he's basically been a sinkerballer that you know, like singer ballers can just do that, right, singer ballers can just get ground balls and just have the ballspit hit to a fielder and you get sick away with it. But they were. He was not getting away with it this year. He's not even getting ground balls on anymore. Like you know your sinker is bad when it's not even you can't even keep the guy keep the ball on the ground. Uh, and like there is no like there's no path forward for that. Uh. But also he can't like Bill can't hit a location right, like if you're gonna be that kind of picture, you gotta you gotta hit your spots. You've got to keep the ball down. You've got to like find a corner.
Speaker 1: Like you gotta.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna be Wade Miley, you've gotta be Wade Miley. And he was not pulling that off. He was leaving up into the middle way too much. He has to figure out how to throw a strike before he could be allowed back up. Jeff, you put jonahsong more eloquently than I could, so I'll let you describe that situation. He had been less of a less of a content as a.
Speaker 2: Bolt guy just because they need bolt guys and they're on again off again relationship with both David Peterson and Shaan and Ia was off for a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He came up two okay outings. His last outing was not good. He in that they lowered his arm angle little bit and he's shown flashes of like a sweepier, harder kind of slurve pitch and then just would not throw it in the majors and was leaning more on his shitty cutter along with the fastball and change. And at this point, like they need to as thrilled as I am to have him in the season fifty consideration. Again, they need to just get him in triple A throwing something east west before he comes back up again, and like Peterson and Manaya are in over the next couple of months, not likely to be any better or worse than Tongue. So for the long term planning here.
Speaker 3: Chacob Lopez, I got to uh, this is more just like a state of the Athletics. Savarino's on the IL, civil as on the ILE. I'm actually, you know, I'm just gonna drive harder Civilly.
Speaker 1: Just that.
Speaker 3: They are there. Their rotation right now is Springs, Jin Perkins, I like Perkins, I like Perkins, h Gage jump and then Kate Morris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just called it another former Mets. Yeah, sort of pitching perspect Yeah fine, he's like a back end of the rotation, pitch di versification guy.
Speaker 3: Like it does not seem like he's probably not in that park.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I tried something, try a different Jacob Lopez.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, we need variety sometimes, uh. TJ Friedel got demotive, you got sent down for for a Newelvie Marte Again, the Reds.
Speaker 2: Time to turn it down at this point, it feels like he's been around forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, he's only you think he's in first year ARB yeah or something. He was making like three and a half million. Uh yeah, the Reds. It's time for my step forward, for Noelvie Marte yeah, to come to fruition. And lastly, Stephen Mattz Yeah, got sent to the bullpen. Even though like the athletics, you're like, okay, but who's starting?
Speaker 2: Mason Englert Apparently Jeff was.
Speaker 1: You weren't on yet Patrick. Jeff was legitimately looking this.
Speaker 2: Up, well the level of Johnson, but it's the level.
Speaker 1: Of disgust when we got to Mason.
Speaker 2: Englerd like, I don't like, it's just I don't know. I didn't know Mason Englert was on the race. So there was that realization and there was like the of course he is, and then there was the of course he is, and he's starting for the race. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The same number of Walks's home runs allowed, which is half good.
Speaker 2: I mean, he might be pitching as an opener because he's but they might just they stretched out Griffin jack so who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Griffin Jackson is like, yeah, they don't. They don't have the bullpen to pull off openers for very long. Yeah, well, at least their bullpen at Stephen Matson in Yeah, Stephen Maats can be the book perfect. There's a Stephen Matt's size hole in this in this pitching staff, and Steven Matts is here to fill. I I don't think. I don't disagree with the move. I think Matts is better in the bullpen. You just have to have enough.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: We also knew that.
Speaker 3: I think knew that when you signed to be a starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it never made right, it never made sense. Yeah, it was these teams.
Speaker 3: They get so proud of themselves, like they they they's so there's so much faith, so much uneared confidence. People need to earn for the like and certainly with in this case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's fair. I think it's it's like, you know, you've run into the immovable object that it's Stephen Matt's guys, like, it's it's you just have to be cognizant.
Speaker 2: That is again, you choose, you chose to get.
Speaker 3: The sun.
Speaker 2: It's like no, they like you're looking at it like this wasn't gonna fit in the doorframe. We try to get at home, but then we're gonna We're gonna do our best.
Speaker 3: Oryce Lewis uh slugged nine hundred a Yeah.
Speaker 1: He hit a home run every day, like.
Speaker 3: Ten home runs in fifteen games. Jesus, and they wasted it, Like Lee royce Lewis was feeling good that week and they just wasted it. He's coming back, He's he was playing second, was it was it? I heard rumors that he was moving around, like they've moved Berksley over the third.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure where they're playing. I mean, Louis who Luke Keisham has been playing second. I don't know if.
Speaker 1: Playing second is like, yeah, he attends, he attempts second face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a weird roster.
Speaker 2: It's a weird ta It is a very Yeah.
Speaker 1: Where's the hold on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hold on? We get the defensive lineups.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of platooning going on for no real game.
Speaker 1: Tristan Gray and Ryan Kridler and Orlando Orcia are the most recent shortstops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kler is garge somehow consistently.
Speaker 1: At third base.
Speaker 3: Roycelwis started at first base yesterday, sure, Uh, and second base the game before Cody fertility guy in they're they're just the utility.
Speaker 2: I mean, he can stretch and he's like Josh Bell has been really bad and like dhing, like they can just d h him to move Brooksley back to shortstop whatever.
Speaker 3: It doesn't Yeah, like weird that they don't just use Brooksley a short stop. I don't know, this team is not good enough to have this many and also does.
Speaker 2: Yeah also then feel like they're they've transitioned to like trying. I mean, I know Walker Jenkins is hurt and Emanuel Rodriguez is hurt, like but like as is there want and like but like it there's seven I know there are seven games on there, which is only three out of a wildcard spot. But they're not like they're not it's not going to happen for them.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe the thing with Royce Lewis is that like we got to figure out where to play him, Like I guess the bother he's just why spend all this energy on this when we're just gonna have to fix things? And again it's also not.
Speaker 1: That Brooksly is a great short stop, but like why are you like you can't hit? Yeah, so why is he your third basement?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Tristan Gray not. Can someone great push everyone out of the way for him?
Speaker 1: Can Byron Buxton?
Speaker 2: Free Byron Buckston, I trade cla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, only tell them listen. I know, I said for life. But also.
Speaker 3: It's been Austin Martin by the way, in case you were wondering back down to two forty seven three what you.
Speaker 1: Said, yeah, it was. Yeah, and it's just the regular right fielder.
Speaker 2: Yes, too, but again because the manual Rodriguez and Walker Jenkinson, he.
Speaker 1: And Brooksley both have ninety one ops pluses and are just the regular third baseman and right fielder.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I forgot. They're just keeping short stop open for honing, right, Culpepper. It's Kayalen Culpepper, not Case Cunningham, who I looked at.
Speaker 1: I knew I was going to screw that up. I really did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kayleen Culpeper is hitting two sixty five through seventy one, four ninety one in Triple A with an not quite as good fourteen home runs in fifty six games. That's right, it's so pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good, though, it is pretty good. Patrick was this you did, probably mid Kepler Kepler.
Speaker 1: That's good. The Donalds Tunbacks have agreed to a deal with mid Kepler. The most bad part of this deal to me is and I saw this on a screenshot, so I'm not sure where it's from. I think it was from uh from MLB trade rumors, but I don't know for sure. I'm basing that off a font. I might not have it correct that MLB and and MLB worked out a deal with Kepler. And I'm guessing his representation that while he's suspended for performance enhancing drug right, I believe that's the eighty game suspension. M hm, he is serving that suspension despite not being associated with any team, right, which I don't still understand how this is suspension.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think he's just he is still a Philly in spirit, and I think that the Philadelphia a Phillies have had Max Kepler all year and they just didn't realize it. It was just part Just like Clupouse seems off. I mean, Max Keppler's not here, but there's something. There's like a Max Kepler hinge to the air his presence. You can't get it out for breeze.
Speaker 2: Like on one level, this like this was going to end his career because no team was going to pick him up.
Speaker 1: To the point, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what the point is to make it look like they're doing something in terms of Hermit's enthancing drugs in the game.
Speaker 3: There have been guys.
Speaker 1: Does that not be like the head on the spike that says, don't do this?
Speaker 2: If you think that would be Henry Mahea, but he also got reinstated at one point.
Speaker 1: If you're but like, don't do this, if you're Max Kepler, is it is not worth it?
Speaker 2: I mean some of the it's just driving.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He had been on a two year deal instead of a one year deal, right, like you would have Well, again, that's the that's.
Speaker 1: The point he arguably right, he took it to try and get the two year deal short and this is not and it's not worth it. It don't don't do that, yeah, right, I don't know. I'm not trying to beat your cronian, but it does. It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: I get that he's like served the suspension in that, like he hasn't played this season or whatever, but then I think you need to whatever.
Speaker 2: You're Yeah, I mean if he's not. He's technically not in the union right because he's not under contract with a major league.
Speaker 1: He just fully out of the union. That can't be right.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that he doesn't have.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the.
Speaker 2: Rules are as a free agent, but I.
Speaker 1: Just I think you gotta change like it needs to them be like you're not suspended, you just forced to miss games. I don't know, I don't know. It's weird. It's maybe that's a stupid distinction, I guess, but like, I don't know, it's very weird for me. And also I don't know, is Max step We're gonna.
Speaker 2: Help the Diamonds, well, not for another twenty games and maybe not for after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's weird. I mean I understand like they have Corbyn Carroll and not much else in the in the outfield.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Ryan Walshman has been fine. They've been playing Tommy Troy out there. He's been fine. Uh, they did we we don't have this on here, Jeffrey, but they did right after you did a kind of catch all. These guys aren't getting call ups like call up articles, but they are. They deserve mentioned. They called up lou James Groover.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they need another infielder, like, where's he?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, Aldemar Vargas got absolutely trucked by Maxim Yes, and.
Speaker 2: Also made a bad decision.
Speaker 1: You need it, he should have made a business decision.
Speaker 2: So yeah, fair enough. Yeah, I like Groover a little bit.
Speaker 1: Primary DH this season, per Baseball Reference, has been Adrian del Castillo, who yeah, a fifty eight ops plus So they might just need a bat. Ye, they've been playing Jorge Barossa a lot. I don't know. Maybe you get Tommy, Yeah, I don't know, I don't know, Yeah, Tommy Troy peven Smith just came back to He's been awful.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: Has been better, even though the Diamondbacks can about him in the press.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, man, I don't He is truly underrated. When it comes to when when a guy gets a hold of one.
Speaker 1: Holy ship, there is there is. Look, obviously we talked about we mentioned Otani and uh Al Jordan Alvarez this podcast. Obviously, Kyle Schwarb or whatever.
Speaker 2: M and Arrow is one to.
Speaker 3: Kimano is absolutely absolutely one, but like for for a second baseman, especially when when Kateell Marte gets one. It is I mean detonation, Like he absolutely annihilated a Tanner Scott pitch.
Speaker 1: There's a walk off the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's an old like soccer cliche that he's not a he's not a great goal scorer, but he's a great scorer of goals, like the goals he scored like that.
Speaker 1: But he also is great, right, like to tell me home run, but yeah for home runs.
Speaker 2: Not a great home run here, but the home runs he hits are great.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a little I mean, there's some jazz jazz can do this too, but I he hits it so god damn it. I actually almost said, like you wouldn't necessarily expect it based on the numbers, but he just really But then I looked and it's like he maxes one seventeen one most yeries. He crushes the ball. Man, I I love.
Speaker 2: Max do not for don do not do not?
Speaker 1: But man, so yeah, Lujan screw would you have anything you want to Yeah, Like he's.
Speaker 2: A hit, it's not a ton of he doesn't hits the ball hard, but doesn't lift it a ton you know, but again interesting like a useful cornerbat.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, in in Cubs news, Jameson Tyne removed in the second inning.
Speaker 1: Wasn't going that well? It was a.
Speaker 2: Hamstring, right, I think, yeah, hamstering hamstring injury.
Speaker 1: Look, in a lot of ways, this would be considered maybe a blessing in disguise. Jameson Tyne has been real bad the Cubs.
Speaker 2: I think you still need you need a body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well look, yeah, who finally can like stay in one house for a week because I feel like he's been demoted and called up like seven or eight times already this year.
Speaker 1: Well, they can only do it five times in a season, feels like seven or eight times.
Speaker 3: I know, is Asad worse than Jameson ty maybe doesn't strike as many batters, but like I don't know. No, Well, okay, look, if you just want to go on, Javier Sad has a four point three seven fifth and Jameson Tian has a six point three one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: I don't think Jameson Tyne has allowed twenty home runs. Shota in Monaga has not allowed the most home runs in this rotation. Right, that's a problem.
Speaker 3: With an extra million innings to boot, right.
Speaker 1: Right, you have your side. I'm not saying is any great shakes here, sure, probably better than Jamison Tion, probably all the problem. Yeah, and like the bullpen has been a decent strength, but they keep pulling from the bullpen. Right Ben Brown is now starting, He's been very good. Yeah, he's got a sinker.
Speaker 2: Now, might be time to make a Might be time to try to make a trade for a picture.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, The question is like, who's trading pictures right now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You know who?
Speaker 1: Who are you able to get at this? I meant, do you think the Angels are trading redetmvers right now? I don't know.
Speaker 2: They might as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, what the Angels should do and we are doing, are right, never really aligned?
Speaker 2: Mister Beast would make this trade.
Speaker 1: Craig want to float the rumor?
Speaker 2: Then this is just a tweet some dude on Twitter to the room we're going around at a minor league game that mister Beast wants to buy the Angels.
Speaker 1: And has been wanting to for several years.
Speaker 2: Look, if there's any organization slash baseball team that fits the mister Beast millieu, it is the Los Angeles Angels and Anaheim.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I don't know. Again, I think this might end up being in that upgrade.
Speaker 2: It might be, it might not be.
Speaker 1: It's not enough though, Like you're still gonna have to figure out the bullpen after it, because it's again you're pulling guys out of there to what.
Speaker 2: Are they I can't even keep track there. And fourth right now they're behind the Pirates they are.
Speaker 1: And fourth they're tied.
Speaker 2: They're tired for the Pirates. The Cardinals had the seven. Cardinals took two of three. So now there're seven games over again or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: The Cardinals are seven games over.
Speaker 2: Again, and they're also playing the Mets this week, so that might go up.
Speaker 1: Please continue not looking at the Mets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fine. You you do not want to watch the Mets. You don't want to watch It's like Dustin may Andre Payante and.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, speaking of pictures, you should.
Speaker 2: Stream Andrea and your fantasy league because always kills the Mets.
Speaker 1: But speaking of pictures, you might not want to look at directly. Kyle Frielan sets the Colorado Rockies innings pitched starting pitching.
Speaker 2: This both shocked me and then five seconds later made perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Yea, I go to say this is not surprising to me.
Speaker 3: No, you know who had the record before. Right, No, you don't, because I feel like like I have been surprised by the guys.
Speaker 2: Literally like they like John Gray. I guess he was hurt too much.
Speaker 3: No, no, John Gray was unfortunately hurt too much. It is Aaron Cook Cook, and it's just like, yeah, exactly. You hear Aaron Cook okay, and then and you're like, okay, Kyle Freelan, will be you reacting to Aaron Cook for the next ten years, right, well, I was.
Speaker 1: It was I was gonna say, like Ubaldo or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although interestingly the only guy in the top twenty with any are able of four as a Rocky he's in.
Speaker 1: The top twenty.
Speaker 2: It was good how many or hey dayla Rossa and forty one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was fourth. Well there's you know, there's a bunch of people think Jeff Francis is fifth.
Speaker 1: Jeff right again along with Aaron Cook.
Speaker 3: Just right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Rockies really have not. I might have been of Jeff Francis when you said Aaron.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I'll never find out and Aaron Cook. We're definitely comparing notes.
Speaker 3: The thing is like almost all almost all these guys at one point had some amount of shine either shine, real shine, or well he's.
Speaker 2: A Rocky, but you know, and then the Rockies just keep those guys first.
Speaker 3: Aaron Cook never, Aaron Cook was just like he is fine, over and over and over again, like and he did it. He lived, He survived that place for like what ten years.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, I'm gonna I'm gonna jump to our next segment, which is what to watch, and I want to jump straight into our last two segments on or less. Two sub heading's on around the Horn were the Rockies and the Cubs, which brings us to Sicicos.
Speaker 2: Jeff, this is yeah, yeah, man, yeah no. The way Greg put it and I think is accurate. Like, the Rockies win two games here, the Cubs.
Speaker 1: I still believe in the Cubs. But like I think, if the Rockies win to two games here, the Cubs are in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think it's fair to.
Speaker 1: Say the Cubs are in trouble anyway.
Speaker 2: But like and from like the sis point of view, it's in Colorado and the Cubs can hit, obviously, right, these these might be well, they can hit, they can hit, don't recently they don't Colin Ray against Tommy Saganos. Let's start the fireworks early showed Managa, who who will give up a home runner too season against Michael Lorenzen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but honestly, how many of these Rockies pitchers will be Cubs pitchers?
Speaker 2: And yeah, and then I could see the last one, the best and also worst matchup of the three, Ryan Feltner against Edward Kerburer.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan Feldner could be a future Cubs absolutely it does.
Speaker 3: It just feel like these guys all feel like August the Cubs.
Speaker 1: I think the Cubs could could pick up Feldner and and Lambert. Also you go to call Houston up for Lambert.
Speaker 2: Also that all these Cubs hitchers of a future Rockies as well. So that's true, It's just different.
Speaker 3: I think, like the water swirling in the stream.
Speaker 1: All right, elsewhere I want to watch, I'll I'll go. I took Philly and Toronto. I keep picking Toronto. I apologize, but you know it's I've said this before. Toronto and and Philly is some of my favorite like aesthetic matchups and a Toronto Yeah exactly, I think I think it should be a decent series. And on top of that, I did this is a phenomenalist uniform, like the way then they're very different obviously, and and I just I love both these uniforms. I like the presentation. I don't know Crup wasn't I tuned into a couple of Phillies uh broadcasts recently, and that that Padre series Cruck wasn't in. I'm hoping he'll be back. I love that. And also like Dan Schulman on the on the Toronto broadcast, So you're good anywhere you go. I did not look at the particular matchups to see a couple, but there's a couple.
Speaker 2: Of interesting ones.
Speaker 1: Uh you get let's see on Wizard overs TBD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Jays Wheeler Verse TVD. The Jays uh are in flux and Liizard Overse, Zard Overse TBD, Wheeler Verse TBD. And I gonna I'm gonna guess, Oh yeah, because it's it's it's a weird inner League.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's today. It's it's uh today, Christopher Sanchez versus versus Pat Corbyn.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so the two best lefties in baseball going at it exactly.
Speaker 1: And by the time people listen to this, it'll it'll it'll be too late.
Speaker 3: But nevertheless, Patrick, all right, Well I went with Himbo baseball last time, and that resulted in uh Zach Lttel and Foster Griffin one running the Iam Max. Uh So this time I'm gonna go with a more traditional one. Then just do Brave White Sox. I mean, we've we all we you know, we've talked about the White Sox playing in the past. This is a good time to watch the Braves. They're good. It's it's they've been doing it long enough themis We'll just enjoy it.
Speaker 1: They're both over five hundred. Get Sam Antonacci into your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. The pitching matchups should allow that offense to take place. You're gonna get your martin Paris. You're gonna get your grand homes. Grand homes will pitch and you will constantly be like, who's pitching?
Speaker 2: Well you I think you can recognize on sight, like.
Speaker 3: There, but it's like, you know, anytime there's episode down, what's happening here? So it should be good, solid games.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, I went Dodgers Pirates to save Craig from picking pirates.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's a. It's a it's a bad set of games for this Friday.
Speaker 2: It is you do get a Tani against Jarry Jones on Wednesday, which should be a lot of fun, and.
Speaker 1: You get Skis versus lower Onto.
Speaker 2: It is a different kind of fun like the Pirate. I don't know Brandon lau Is, not that we didn't put this on the run down around the Horn, but it's going to miss like two months with a he fractured his knee hitting them.
Speaker 3: Okay, I didn't know that, but I also I just last podcast was like, Brandon laud does get hurt all the time.
Speaker 2: And he has Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 1: He broke his knee.
Speaker 2: I think he fractured his knee.
Speaker 1: Cap Like, is it like the was it you said about? So it's the Christian Yelich situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: Oh that sucks.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get the exact injury here. He I'm the last thing he avoided anything serious. Oh yeah, but they were worried initially because he suffered a fractured right It's what I was reading. He fractured his right potilla. So he fine, you'll see Brandon law probably Oh he navigate some soreness injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well but he still does get hurt all the time. Yeah, he tested negative for a fracture.
Speaker 2: I guess the last time he did this, he fractured his name. Maybe that's what I saw.
Speaker 3: Well, good, that's I I guess there's a reason I missed that. Yeah, anyway, that takes us to our game. You know, I think it might be a Blake Bevian autograph. But the thing is, did Blake Bevin turn the ball upside down?
Speaker 1: He did he sign? The game?
Speaker 3: Is ken?
Speaker 1: We identified these?
Speaker 3: Did he sign it first? And then everyone else just signed the other way?
Speaker 1: Like Bevin looked weird? Honestly, I think everyone else signed it in Blake Bevan. You know who knows?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know, all right, the game is AKA. It's been a while. I don't know how we're gonna do on this one. We'll see, because like, just because I don't always recognize everyone doesn't mean you won't, which is why I try to. I try to give you guys the benefit of the doubt. But you know, in my just go badly. I was also really having a hard time with sourcing on this one. Just a bunch of nicknames that I could not find any evidence as to why they were called that. So that doesn't make me feel super confident. All right, so our first one, slug O.
Speaker 2: I've definitely heard this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say that the man's name, you would think that somebody named Slugo would not have a career four twelve slugging percentage.
Speaker 1: Just based on that. I had a name in mind, and I'm just gonna go with it.
Speaker 2: Austin Slater No, okay, Uh, definitely heard this one before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard it too, but.
Speaker 2: I just keep going on.
Speaker 3: I will say one hundred and four ops plus higher than I thought it would be. Like I thought this guy was a bad offensive player. He was not a bad offensive player.
Speaker 2: And it's Don Slot Yeah, okay, okay, yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was apparently a decent hitter for most of his career. Is just kind of a he was really like.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't have gotten there.
Speaker 3: No, personally, the part time catcher before part time catcher is really a thing. He would just was worth two wins a year every year because games is onslaught with a D in front of it. And somehow they're going, it's just a good name already. You don't need any name, Don Slought, He's just a full name every time, all right, next one country, this guy's all Hall of Famer Country Country nickname was not country anything, just country.
Speaker 1: Mhm h h.
Speaker 2: Boy, George Sisler.
Speaker 1: Good idea of Famer. We're at We're at s L so we're passed. Can I can?
Speaker 2: I thought it was an I wow the now ok, I'm uh good?
Speaker 3: Goods.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know. I assume George Sisler of baseball players that era was born in the country.
Speaker 1: Do you have any other hints? No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was Eno Slaughter.
Speaker 1: You know, should should have been.
Speaker 3: There, honestly, because there, I mean right there. Well, Slaughter might be the most forgettable Hall of Famer embarrassing. I know.
Speaker 2: I always remember him because like I had a book of like some baseball it wasn't an encyclopedia like baseball stories, and there was one about like Eno Slaughter's mad dash in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that. I'm glad he has a mad dash. It feels like not that I like from.
Speaker 2: First on a single in the World Series, which is that he was running with the pitch, which is the thing that happens a few times.
Speaker 3: AG's cool. I dont feel like, you know, Slaughter has a lot of things attached to him. Yeah, so I'm glad he asked one, because I couldn't have named anything else that, you know, slaughter did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next one aircraft carrier. This one's a recent one, A car We're doing great.
Speaker 1: This, I like my brain is not clicking with anything.
Speaker 2: Like a aircraft carrier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is a he's a current player. His nickname was given him to him by his GM when describing him as talking about the state of the lineup. And it got it caught on.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't, it didn't.
Speaker 3: It was Wikipedia says it caught on. It is Cam Smith. No, Dan Brown described Cam Smith.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Next one sloth bear mh alright, we your hint at this point. So this this is literally because of a Zoo t and because it and it was because it was a parody. Remember player on his own team.
Speaker 1: I remember this, This is this is the this has to be the Mets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, now remember now I remember with Smith Smith, Yeah, I remember there was Brown Bear, thun Bear JD. Davis with sun Bear. I thank you, okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Next one.
Speaker 2: Lot bear nickname in hindsight, little little questionable.
Speaker 3: Perhaps it's a zoot trip. Yeah, Craig now has a commanding one. Next one the wizard Smith. I got Craig first, right, next one we do all.
Speaker 2: That and then the wizards.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, Smith, I was like, ship smith is the last name in this smith?
Speaker 3: Sure a lot of smitties. Yeah, waiting rooms is to get.
Speaker 1: To studies.
Speaker 3: Because smitty is like, all right, So the I feel like the modern the modern hy ending nickname that is the one that people were just doing in the people have been why ing Smith for like the last one hundred and forty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like news.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, silver Fox? Oh, sorry, Jeff, oh, I don't know, all right, the silver Fox, Okay, all right. I thought that's the one where Jeff daking a glass of glass of tea would have been their fame. Also other nickname the Duke of Flatbush. Oh, duke I got that as a tie. Okay, yeah, silver Fox is his first name.
Speaker 1: I I don't know.
Speaker 3: I could not find You would think Duke Snyder's nicknames would be would have oorts stories. I could not find them. So maybe, well, you know that's just that is clearly just a newspaper one, right, But the silver Fox feels like it needs story, and I could not find a story behind silver Fox. All right, ready, Craig is here, Okay, nerd power.
Speaker 1: That feels like it's got him fair.
Speaker 3: Apparently recent yeah, not not not current, but fairly recent. It was given to him in the clubhouse when he was playing in Oakland.
Speaker 2: H Seth Smith.
Speaker 3: Good good guess.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Now I don't explain it.
Speaker 3: Oakland his the other HND why he is associated you're hold on, hold on if you're going to give another hint, Jeff, she gets to beat Guess again. I shouldn't get a hint. Whatever, you can guess again. If you get then the other hint he was at one point. This This nickname was perhaps cemented when he was nominated for the face.
Speaker 2: Of the game Eric oh So guard Yeah hip whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one. I don't know if you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: El yo yo yo yo also also other nicknames El crudo so el yoyo in Spanish and Spanish for for the yo yo yes, wow, you know, and El crudo u basically is crude oil oil right, yeah, I have guests uh, no origins for these nicknames either. I'm guessing they have not. I don't know how well.
Speaker 1: J Jervis Slarte very good guess about that.
Speaker 3: I didn't think you guys would come.
Speaker 1: Up with him Hervey's I don't know what his nickname is. Uh.
Speaker 3: I think it was sexy time.
Speaker 2: Better than the oil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the oil. Uh let's see, yes, uh el Ni, Petuchi, tutu or sexy time.
Speaker 2: Nicknames.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good nicknames. I didn't think you'd pull your from that. All right. No guesses on that one. That is Forge Hilaire.
Speaker 1: Oh all right. The last I almost had his last name.
Speaker 3: In second to last one. This one's a special case because this nickname has been disbanded. The player who had it decided he did not want to have anymore. Uh, it is the Executioner. Oh fucking sorry, Yeah, that's correct. Yeah he did, I remember that because he disavout Mexico. Yeah, all right, So that quits Craig up four to two with one left, So congratulations to Craig. That means we don't have to have a fight over this last one. The last one is Lafierra, yeah, which it is long, So good job, Craig. You didn't have to go to Childish Membino, which was really.
Speaker 1: Would have been bad if I lost that one.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, Craig with an easy win.
Speaker 1: Yeah I might. I started have seeing Lafierra a lot when going to check my my own nickname status on a small reference or whatever, and and just had it implanted. Yeah I will, I will take it, and I'm I'm happy for the one. Thank you for the game. Patrick turned out okay, rough start.
Speaker 2: It was a real down slot of a game.
Speaker 1: A lot of down Smith in this podcast, and you know it'll it unlocked a few things. Yeah, maybe I'll have a wet burrito in his in his honor for lunch. Thank you for the game. Thank you to our listeners for tuning into another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com.
Speaker 3: We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time, isn't it.
Speaker 1: All the.
Speaker 3: Fall a stay the older