Speaker 1: Ello, Ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the I forgot to put the title there, seven hundred and thirteenth episode of The Keek for his podcast, You're such an asshole, Kirkland, And we'll explain when Taylor comes on. If he comes on, I am the Trickster Trash. Now I'm joined.
Speaker 2: By I'm the pig Batser. My name is till Mus.
Speaker 1: We are here for another Yeah, just to three. That's it. We are here for another Christopher Nolan movie. I say it like they're often, but it's just like I think I'm saying that because it's really often. Yeah, retro. So we've talked about all of them, yes, and that's why usually I say, hey, give us your elevator pitch this time, because we haven't done since Alpenheimer. I put every single one, except for the Batman movies, every single every single Christopher Nolan movie that we exist, we have watched, we've reviewed. They're all the feeds right now. So if you like this review you've never heard from us, go oh, what do you think about Momento? What do you think about Session Oppenheimer. We're all on there, so all the episodes in the feeds go check those out Patreon. You get every single episode we've done. We'll talk about a little bit later. First, we're gonna start off with the Aussie. As usual, we're gonna do non spoilers again. You know, it's a very very old story. But in case somebody, which I know many people may have not read the book, In case somebody has not read it, then we won't spoil anything. We'll just give our non spoils overall thoughts. And I'm gonna start with the man that just walked in the room here, Taylor Field.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm the dad Taylor Field, happy to be here.
Speaker 1: We didn't think you're gonna make it.
Speaker 3: I was confident I was gonna make it. You know, never any doubt.
Speaker 2: You're like Odysseus on your way to this cast.
Speaker 3: I was taking twenty years mini of them eating eating stuff. But holy smokes, yeah, what what an odyssey? My goodness, Yeah, I I it's always different for me seeing these movies that are earlier, like the earlier, like two o'clock showing as opposed to like the later. But like it was a full crowd in my theater and there were multiple applauses. There was one scene which again when we get into the spoilers, like, I feel like things are just like heating up, it's getting intense, and one moment happens and like people were like whoh, like cheering and super fucking stoked at this one sequence and it caught me off guard, but I was I was very satisfied with with it, just like the other people were too. But uh, this movie was just it was a it was a damn good time. I was engaged. I feel like there were certain vocalizations that happened in here that just totally like rock me to my core at times, and it was just such a such a wild ride and like to kind of pull myself out of this and just kind of touch base on where people were really kind of picking it apart and just feeling like, oh, you know, like the I can't I don't want to say historical accuracies because again, it's it's a tale. It's a legend, right, and this is Christopher Nolan's retelling of this legend, this story, so you have that exactly like the are really breaking people are breaking it down and just kind of nippicking it like, oh, you know this at this point in time, this and this and da da da dah dah. And I understand you want to nippick those things, fine, but when you're watching this movie, like maybe it's just comes down to the person, but all this stuff like it's just going over my head, Like I don't care. I'm not looking at the historical actresses this movie. I'm just so engaged with like Matt Damon, then Hathaway, like like again halfway, she's a fucking standout in this movie. Holy shit, she's incredible. I really just think she's just she's a great actress. And then Matt Damon was just fucking knocking out of the park in here. And Tom Holland loved Tom Holland in here, like he just absolutely like everyone just brought their a game. It really was just so wonderful, Like even me a goth, like just they're all they're all just popping in here. And uh and yeah, you got Robbie as well. I was just so sadis Robbie, Robbie my boy, Robbie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know Robbie, she played one of the.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, I mean there's not much I can really highlight the non spoilers without kind of diving in because it's just there's so much going on in this story, and that's just it's a damn good time. And because when I was done and I was at my engagement after the movie, and uh, my friends were like, oh, what was uh? What was what do you thought? What was the movie like? And I was like, you know what, it's just like you really feel for Odysseus and the boys, man, like this is the tribulations that they're going through. It's some ship, and it really is just I know it's one thing obviously if you're reading the book and you're familiar with that story, but I was, I'm out of touch with what happens in this legend, so visually seeing the tribulations that unfold, it's like fuck, Like.
Speaker 1: It's like I want to do the twenty for our stream. You know, that's what if you want to know what it's like, I wouldn't run away. Yeah, that's I.
Speaker 2: Had a lot of step in the eye.
Speaker 1: Why we had three sixty frames per second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's some ship. It'd be some ship. But I would definitely highly recommend this for a theatrical watch. And again, my buddy, he messaged me when I the the movie was just about to start. He's like, well, he messed. I checked my watch highlighted right when like the movie was starting. It's like, you buy tickets for the Odyssey yet, And I was like, I can't respond now, but I messaged me after. I'm like, yeah, I bought. I just got to the theater. And he's like, oh, what people have been saying it was boring and you know all that kind of stuff, Like, No, I didn't find it boring. I felt like there's it felt very like chapterized, where like, Okay, we're dealing with this and this and this problem, and I think it worked for it. But there was never a moment where I felt like I was bored or we're in a bit of a lull. It was very engaging, and I just I wanted to see what happens next after one tribulation and the next thing and the next thing and the next thing, and it just kind of culminates quite well. I was trying to kind of read like a potential foreshadow with how things started off at the beginning of the film, but I was wrong because I thought like there was I thought maybe there's gonna be like a Nolan kind of time kind of thing going on and I thought I was right when we got to a certain partner at the end, but I was I was wrong. So in that sense, it feels like a very uh I don't want to say basic because that sounds negative. But in terms of like Nolan always trying to do like it kind of like plot twist or spin, it didn't have like any kind of like whoa kind of factor like that, like it would like a tenant where it has some kind of like backwards kind of thing or or anything like that. It feels more like an Oppenheimer kind of story where it's just like, Okay, you got like just this this general narrative in this direction through going and you just get some crazy moments along the way. So if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's definitely still his time, Like if it's not doing that way, it's still like messing with time. You're like in three different timelines at the same time. In this Vivie you know, so he love You're never other than Batman. You're never gonna Knowlan making a movie from point to point B. It's never gonna happen. You can't pin that man down. But dyl Muss, were you pinned down? For you? Got to see an imax completely jealous over here.
Speaker 2: So oh you dog, yeah, you dog big time.
Speaker 4: Hey, you guys are welcome to come join me anytime you want.
Speaker 2: To come to the island.
Speaker 1: I thought about it, pict.
Speaker 4: Trip on down Yeah, I uh yeah, I guess for the Nole the like background of this, I mean, big Nolan guy. Of course, don't love all of his movies, but you know, enjoy them, appreciate them for what they are. Honestly, I don't know really anything about this. Is this a completely fresh story for me, and I really tried to avoid ingesting too much of it, like before this kind of wanted to go into this movie and experience it from this perspective.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And even I feel like I didn't see many trailers either. So you know, I was talking to someone today. I was telling someone I was gonna go see this, and they're like, oh, Hathaways in that, and I'm like, I don't even, I don't know is she? And then I'm not exactly sure. And that was like the first like fifteen twenty minutes of this movie is like every scene is just some world class actor that popped in and sometimes they like say one line and then they're just gone, and it's like, oh yeah, I just I had very little, I guess, expectations for what to really expect, you other than it's Nolan doing something different than he's done before, and of course it saw has a lot of the Nolan isms. But my god, boys, what inexperienced this movie is.
Speaker 2: I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 4: You know, the first ten to fifteen minutes, I was like, I don't know what the f is going on. I don't want these character meames, I don't know what the story is. I don't even know what we're doing here. But then, you know, after I kind of get my bearings a little bit and it kind of picks up and starts with the more linear ish story. I really was just kind of rap I was rapper it the whole time. No no, no dull moments whatsoever. And honestly, like, it's been a while since I've seen a movie this good and this powerful and this epic. And it even carried to you know, movie concludes, I'm driving home. It's like raining outside. It's very atmosphere. It's kind of like light out still in like a weird way. It kind of has a weird energy out there. I get in my car, I put on one of my favorite songs, Stealing Nana His Home at Last, which I've always known is based on the Odyssey, but I don't know anything about the Odyssey. So I'm like, let me put on my one of my favorite songs of all time that I never have had the context for.
Speaker 2: I'm driving home.
Speaker 4: Lightning starts blaring on the right side of me, lightning on the left side of me, like behind me, there's all sorts of storms going on. At one point on my drive home, I go over and overpass and there was lightning I feel like, just right above my head and that kind of completely illuminated the overpass and like the most epic way possible. I was like, goddamn, what is happening. This is like a religious experience or something like that. Zeus and then I parked and then I saw in their discord shut that you guys needed like ten fifteen minutes before we started. So I'm like, oh, I'm just gonna go for a little walk and still just lightning blasting in all directions. It's like it's still like going off out there.
Speaker 2: If I lose power at some point, it's probably.
Speaker 4: Because the lightning destroys the like it's going crazy out there, but it was extremely epic and fitting for like what.
Speaker 2: This movie is.
Speaker 4: I'm like, zeus up there just popping off. So yeah, I absolutely love this movie, love this story. I mean, there's certain sequences in here. I mean, I guess I could spoil things because people know the story, but I'm not going to all wait until the spoiler section here, but certain sequences where it's like twenty thirty minutes of just like us, a kind of isolated sequence, and I'm just totally glued into all this stuff. And I think you guys brought up some good points of you know, no one's always doing stuff with time. Sometimes it's really direct with like Tenet or incemption in terms of like actual time dilation or reversing order and stuff like that. And then sometimes it's just the way he edits, the way he like story tells, And I think this movie is such a great moment of that. There's like certain there's a certain moment that's kind of hinted at a few times, or you get a glimpse of it, but then the meaning of it kind of only comes together in the end. And I think it just does such a masterful job of that that just give you like a twenty minute what feels like a short story or a short film, kind of isolated from everything else, and then a little sequence in between that ties things together, builds up that meaning go into another one of those weird little sequences. Does that a bunch of times this movie feels like it's seven hours long in the best way possible, and then it kind of all culminates in the end in just such an epic fashion. So yeah, I absolutely love this movie. I mean, the soundtrack is unbelievably great, so so outstanding, and yeah, I don't know, I have to think where the Nolan ranking of it all is because it's still so fresh in my mind, of course, but I yeah, absolutely adore this movie.
Speaker 1: Fan. Yeah, which time, we should probably only a newscast do like a reranking, because I'm pretty sure when we did our ranking, the original retro was leading up to Dunkirk, and I think we foolishly, which I'll put on myself, we did the ranking episode always before the new movie, so I think we have dun Kirk, Oppenheimer and this to rank, and now it's like a whole big topic, like just like a side main topic on newscasts. I think we could revisit it, and I know it's in the feed somewhere, so I'd like to listen and see what's maybe changed or not change it all since then. So maybe we'll revisit in the July August time frame or even Helmet may maybe even do that on GV Day. That might be a good like if we're downtime just sitting around looking at our list, see what's going on? So who knows? Kirk Compatzer, do you know how you feel about this movie? Christopher Nolan?
Speaker 2: Uh, somewhat. I somewhat know how I feel about their Appenheimer's situations. Uh, maybe we'll see. Yeah. No, I was really excited for this flick. I didn't like know the well, I guess I did know the story. Uh, one of my favorite games of all time, age mythology. It it touches upon some aspects of this journey just because you deal with like Odysseus and like just some things in there. Maybe I'll hold my tongue in case people really don't want to know what goes on in this adventure. But I knew the main hitting points and then a little while ago. I just went on YouTube and it was just like the story of the Odyssey, so like I got like the main like pillars of everything of what happened, and that really didn't affect my enjoyment whatsoever of this because I still was like fully gripped and engage in this adventure, although I like, I feel like I didn't really remember like what was going to be happening next, but I just I like, once we're in those situations, like to do how it unfolded. But yeah, it's just such an epically made tale and so well made across the board, Like casting is just insane. I feel like Tom Holland was like, like I do love Tom Holland as my spider Man, but he was just like so not like at like an interest level for me for this specific movie. It's like, Okay, he's Odysseus's son, it's gonna be Tom Holland. I'm sure I'll like him enough, But he was actually my standout for this film. I feel like I was blown away by Tom Holland in this movie. It's just a very different type of role than him doing Peter Parker, and like he was he was doing so well, like I'll save it till we get into the spoiler section, but he was amazing for me in this movie, and Telemacus is like it's a lot more of a main character role than I kind of was expecting it to be. I think going into this movie, the Great Hidalgo just powered through the novel, so he was telling me a little bit like his role in it that I was kind of surprised of just how much tel Macus is kind of in this story. But I think it, uh yeah, I think it's just an amazing telling of this tale. The score is like so on another level. I feel like the start of the movie, I'm like, I'm not getting anything much out of this score. But then there's like prolonged scenes where I just felt like I was in the woofer, like I was just getting blown back in like the best of ways. A terrible example of like way too loud of sound is Venom Too Let there be Carnage. That was like the loudest fucking screaming movie I've ever dealt with that. It just pissed me off. This was like it was so loud, but it was like totally necessary for I feel like for the scenes that were happening, and I felt like Oppenheimer kind of had that a little bit, especially like after the Trinity Test thing, like when there's that trippy scene of him just like seeing people in the gym that are like melting and it's just so loud and like visually just it's just like unsettling. I feel like there was a couple scenes like that in here, and it was just so well, yeah, just so executed, Like it just totally amplified the intense scenes that were happening on screen. And I was sweating in this movie. I was fully like tearing up in this movie, like like it totally gripped me emotionally. I was so mad at certain characters, like villainous characters that you should be mad at, Like there's just so much going on in this adventure, and like it just totally carries the title of E for epic, like this is an epic tale and they like, uh, Nola totally totally executed, just perfectly, And in my opinion that I thought it was a flawless movie. Maybe it's too extreme, but as of right now, I feel like it's a flawless movie. So like maybe on rewatch there'll be some things I have a little more grapes on, but yeah, really really really really fun. And yeah, John Bernenthal also, I just loved him as Metalais. I like he is. He is that caliber of an actor that it's just like I love him. But I just can't not see like the John Burnhal character as John Burnhal, like I'm waiting for that line to drop, the whole scene that he's like having this like emotional talk with another character, and I'm like, he's gonna say it, He's gonna say he's got something to say, and like just his mannerism, the way he's eating food and stuff, I'm like, this is just fucking this is this is John Burneth all right here. So I I like him a lot, and he was he was great addition in here. I don't really want to talk too much about any of the characters. I feel like there's a little bit spoilers in there. But yeah, what a thrill ride of three hours. It didn't feel like it. I feel like we zoomed right by. Yeah, go see this movie. If you have Imax, go see this movie. I can only imagine how intense some of those like loud sequences are in IMAX because in our theater. It was I was feeling it. I was feeling the epicness of just the visuals and the sound and everything and just picturing like some of the sets that they had to make to make this movie, Like it just feels so authentic, whether they're like way out and see it's like just terrifying nighttime like storms out on the sea, and it's just like I'm getting sweaty right now, which is just picturing that type of environment. And uh, yeah, I love all the cost you. Yeah, I feel I can go on and on about the stuff that I loved about this movie, but i'll uh, I'll pass along because we're gonna eventually want to get into some spoilers. I feel, as the.
Speaker 3: Question because because you were just you'r highlighting that that stuff, you know, just getting sweaty watching those scenes. I think that's the best part is getting that representation of humanity. And again I know it's a legend, but you know, the suits of armor and the ships and just the warfare, just getting that visually and just come and face to face with humanity all that long many years ago, just like fuck.
Speaker 2: How like.
Speaker 3: How do humanity just endure and go through that ship and now here we are like so many years later, Like I like the humans of today could not even stand to the humans of back then, Like there's totally different calibers like whole but.
Speaker 2: Like j yeah, he's not mapping, he's not mapping in I'll tell you something happened now, Yeah, like adding on to what you mentioned there, like how different life was back then. But there's still like so many like crazy moral conundrums in this movie that I'm like, humans haven't changed at all. We're still just so equally as right and like just horrible, Like you see the dark side of human nature in here. It's just like unfortunately, this is just such a timeless problem. Uh you know, just just greed and yeah, just symbolism in here. And I think that's probably why this tale has just stood the test of time. Like there's just so much unravel here as opposed to just an epic ride back home.
Speaker 3: That's right. And one thing too that's kind of funny is like the overarching kind of like looming fear of like you know, a guy will do something and then you know you could just be like, oh you know you might upset zeus. You know that guy could be Zeus and it's like you hear the thunder rumbling, and the people like, oh fuck. You know. But nowadays, you know, like Dylan, here's that thunder and he's like, I just gotta get home and do this.
Speaker 1: Review because the gods have left us. You know, we don't see these acts of the gods anymore.
Speaker 2: There's no all the time. When we're talking about a knock on your door, Sandia's right across the room just staring at me.
Speaker 1: That just means he needs therapy, just like like really that's what, like not big sports, but like you know, Odisse, he's just needed some good therapy. He suffered from massive PTSD, depressing, war sickness, survivor's guilt, but he doesn't have that. It's all he has is a boat and a dream and a little stick and you know whatever his wife gave a little golden lady. But yeah, I am. There was a point where with Christopher Nolan was always like, well, I can't say like he's the greatest director of all time right because he still knew he's only done like the Dark Knight trilogy and Prestige Inception. There's a couple, you know, other ones, but it's like, ah, you know, and then Oppenheimer, I think I dropped, but now I'm like especially right, like I don't care. He's been around long enough, and the amount of films this guy has done that have like defined you can say, like a decade but a generation of allwa going back from to Memento in the indie circuit to revolutionizing the com book for as with The Dark Knight and then Inception blowing things away like all those guy's not one hit wonder even though he had other movies, wasn't like, oh, the Dark Knight's gonna be his peak and that's it, right, then Exception happens and then Interstellar and then Appenheimer and there's other ones in there, right, Like I like all Christopher Nolan's movies. I got nothing that's a blow an eight. So for me, he's my favorite filmmaker, grace filmmaker, and I'm not gonna bury lead. Yeah, this was everything I was hoping for and more like I still was gonna be happy if it was also just an eight at ten and be okay. This is another because like there's dun Kirkintenet that you know aren't my favorite ones, but I still really enjoyed this. Yeah, man, this was everything I was hoping for. I got to because I've been going to the gym so much. I got to wear my shirt that I wore in two thousand and eight for the Dark Night. I got to rock that. So I gotta go full circle there, and.
Speaker 2: Uh, are you waiting right now?
Speaker 1: It's just fucking hot as shit outside right now. I'd be like i'd be like in the Trojan Detroy battle. I'll be like sweating and everything. But no, and just again like in two thousand and eight when I was sitting there, and that's like I loved movies, of course, but really made me love movies the whole, like, oh, they don't make movies like they used to. You can't say that with Christopher nole Man, Like you can't say that. And he's doing even better. It's so many times when we talk about and that I watched in preparation, I did read at Slash listen to the Odyssey, and then also I got some more that I want to watch. But I watched Troy this week and yeah, not a great movie. No, it's not a great movie. It's one of the rare movies where brad Pitt's really bad. But it was one of those things where it scored a little higher for me because like, oh, look at these sets and it's practical, and I was watching, like, man, I do miss so much of this stuff. I get it, we got the volume all cgi, and sure there's also effects in this movie, but it feels like a living, breathing movie. I never feel like I'm taking out. It's all working. Even the score, which is that sometimes feels like a little like modern all works. Again, none of that stuff, any of the stuff with the casting or historical stuff, doesn't bug me. And all those people just are fucking like, can't enjoy life. It's a fucking like a novel that could be potentially fake. Just do something else with here, And same thing with the anacuracies. As far as me, the music or people saying dad or mom, I don't care about any of that. Like I said, I was here for Christopher Nolans Odyssey and I got it. I won't hit it. But it was like with not even in the movie, just every twenty minutes, it's the fucking chills. There's something that happens, whether it's a performance, whether it is the score, in the Ludwig Man like he is. This guy's been killing it since Black Panther and on like he did like something happened like him and Ryan Coogler. They must have done some high octane drugs. And ever since then, these guys have been rolling because they just remember Black Panther like all. This guy's really good, like can't wait to see his queer and look at where he is now. He's already won like three or two Oscars. He's probably getna win one for this and he is a character in this movie just like everybody else's right, but he's just the music performances all around. I have multiple standouts. I don't think I have like the one. I think my triffect would probably be an Robert and Tom. But I'm not surprised by Tom because I feel like I say this all the time, I might be like one of the only hundred people that I've watched The Devil all the Time, which was a movie that he did with Robt Passon, and that was the first I saw Tom Holme, and oh he can actually act. He's not just Spider Boy and he gets to do that here. And Damon's great too, But Damon a lot of time has just be very stoic as Odysseus. Right, there's a lot of him reacting and stuff. But yeah, and then oh yeah, he got in great shape for this. And the the thing I'll say is he he meaning Nolan. He teases like a few times in Batman, there's a few jump scares, but the first time he like showed some horror it to him wasn't Appenheimer where it's that scene where everyone when the people's faces are melting and it's silent and killing. Murphy's like having PTSD. I don't think Nolan's gonna ever make a full horror movie. But the horror fan or the horror ISM's or that horror bone that he has in body, he was flexing in this movie. There's three sequences, one specifically that we are watching like what we would think like an a twenty four weird horror movie, and it's from the book. It's not as graphic in the book, I'd say, but there's stuff for That's where I and I get it because we talked about this with Clay and Mike, and but Clay he's like, oh man, the Nolan actions always bugs me, and I go, I don't know if he's ever gonna change that. But what I appreciate Nolan with Appenheimer and this, I feel like he's doing new stuff all the time. He doesn't have to do these things, but these sequences and segments that are like really fucked up and scary that doesn't fit with Nolan, Like from Memento to Dark Knight or even Interstellar and Dunkirk. There's intense sequences of course, but not stuff I'm like, oh, this would be fit right into any sort of deep horror movies. So yeah, this was a I can't throw the masterpiece ward around yet. I gotta settle with it. I'm sure there'll be discussions, but I is easily Like I loved Project Hail Mary. This is my easy bullet like movie of the year. Yeah, it's it's a movie that when we get to that twenty the twenty twenties like year like decade and Golden yeeks like this will be up there, like I'll have to see what's come out from now to twenty twenty. But man, this is a It's just incredible and Nolan just surprises me every time, and it was just a work of art. I can say that if I can't say mass preciet, I can say a work of art, and I just can't again if this guy retired now, look at their careers at But I just can't always wait, like I just feel there's Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Dune Project, Kill Mary was that, but no one for me just has it. I think for a lot of us too, But just like there's just something there's he's got something if you were tell me he made a deal with the devil to give his music, like his movies a little like extra hospub like okay that tracks because I can watch these other movies that are ten out of ten's are great, but there's just something when Nolan's going, Man, he he just has like a spell over me and I didn't and I hope. I definitely will see this again theaters before it's out. It's a long movie, but it's just because of the scope. I want to see it again. But yeah, man, this is uh. I can't wait. And it felt much like what you said Kirk with the Lord of the Rings movies. This felt like three hours, nothing move, like a clip like I was never like checking the watch worried. So yeah, highly recommend to if you like film, there's gonna be something in here for you. So anything else on sports? Before we start breaking things down.
Speaker 4: Should we just pack up Golden Gieks for the year and just call her done? Like, just give all the awards to the Odyssey and move on. Save ourselves A cast trying.
Speaker 1: To think, Oh, Reaperd's three is still coming out, and I've heard some really good things about that. So but yeah, I think it's now the it's the one to be, you know, we well, we got some other side characters to do and whatnot, so we'll see, but uh, we'll get into it. So for some reason, if you've not read the book, don't heard about the book, or of course you want to hear the changes, and you've not seen the movie, now's the time to bow out. We're gonna take an ad break and we'll be right back into the Odyssey. And we are back where do we want to start with the Odyssey? Because it's you know, lots of places, lots of people, lots of things.
Speaker 2: Taylor's got an idea. I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 3: I got an idea, I mean maybe a bold idea, but I'd love to just kind of dive into some of these like tribulations that the boys are doing. Come like on their way back, starting off with the Cyclops, the boys, the boys and the crew. Like when I was talking about the vocalizations, that just fucking terrifying, terrifying shit, Like when they get into that cave and they get trapped and then like the Cyclops like rolling around like he looked fucking fantastic, Like that was freaky shit, and like it.
Speaker 1: Just well, I just want to stop before I forget, because I will forget that shot. When they first see the Cyclops, he sees so what, but then he closes the rock and then it's completely black, can't see him anymore. That was another where oh my god, like what a great, great way to tease him, and then he's gone. He's in the shot. He don't worry he is. It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think again too. That's that's one of my favorite tricks for not overcompensating and just relying on CGI is just kind of using your peripheral vision. And they did that like the whole time, Like when they were retreating out of the cave and they just kind of show the Cyclops out in the distance, like between the tree lines and whatnot. Obviously they show a little bit more when he's in the water, but still he's kind of hidden mostly by the water. It's just his head that's out, but in the cave where it's dark, and it's just like shushing the sheep in and out, and like some of the guys get out, some of them stay behind. And then just that howl he makes when they jab into its eye. It's like, oh, my god, nightmare stuff. And then like I'm with the boys, like why do why did Odysseus have to do that? When he's like they're all retreating out in the cyclops, just sitting in his little his doorway, and Odysseus is like, fuck you. I'm paraphrasing it shoots the arrow.
Speaker 1: What his h yeah changes yeahah, David full Boston accent, fuck you.
Speaker 3: It's how did you guys feel about the whole cyclopes and leading into the other tribulations?
Speaker 4: My god, I think that's my favorite sequence in the whole movie, Like I just love I don't know how long it was, twenty minutes, thirty minutes, I'm not sure how long it was, but man, just the whole journey of them being stuck in there, slowly devising plans, plans, changing the cyclopes, kind of surprising them in different ways. The horror of it, Like, yeah, when he closes the door and I kind of had like a perception of how big this creature was, and then when you actually see like the full size of it, and it's like four times as big as I thought, it would be just amazing stuff. The look like they don't make special effects like this, I didn't know. I didn't know if such thing as possible looks so good. The storted face and the way that yeah, the mouth and eye, the way they're kind of like twisted is just absolutely nasty. The like texture of the skin. It's one of those things I'd be so curious to see, like the making of Like I wouldn't be surprised if they have a huge hand practical effect that they use for some shots, because it looks so good and so authentic, which is crazy for like a giant fantasy creature like that. And I think, you know, often times of movies they do a lot of stuff in dark places because it's easier to hide some of that stuff. But you get a lot of big, full on shots of this thing, and then you even do get the full daytime shots as well, and so I just am amazed by how good those special effects. I was totally immersed. I'm like, how did they make a giant for this movie? It's crazy how good this thing looks.
Speaker 1: They had to have, I know, because they did do stuff practical, but like when you're telling then there's another moment to you when they're by the feet and looked so realistic, like they gotta have some big version of this. But yeah, shout out to Bill Irwin, who, like he's the guy you've seen. I think he actually plays like mister Noodle and Sesame Street, like he's like has like a career being a character actor. But he played the cyclopes and great body movements like oh, you're not much speaking lines or anything, but just makes you feel and I love the look. He's just rotten everything. I'm another Kirk. Do you feel about the cyclopes?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was terrifying. I think that totally blew me away because I was like, that was like the part of the adventure I like knew the most about, Like I knew how they got out, like like dressing up like sheep or like at least putting on the like the straw to mimic looking like shit, Like I pretty much knew that from start to finish, But like Dylan, I was honestly expecting to be so much smaller, Like I thought it'd be like twelve feet tall, which is like huge, but not this like literally attack on Titan type level of threat and just grabbing them when it's just like he's just looking at them and just eating like the heads off the soldier, Like it's just yeah, And like later on Odssey's even as a line, it's like like, well, like why don't you talk to us? It's like would you talk to ants? Like that's literally how he sees us. Like it's literally just you go with the cattle, you or you go with the sheep. Right, So it's just I thought all of that was really well done. The horrorse I was really good. Uh, And I I really really like the look. It's it's so different than how I've kind of seen Cyclopsis designed in the past. I really like just like the twisted nature that it is, just like it's just a it's just a freak, just a freak show of of a design. It has the humanoid iss right, like like it looks like it has the sockets of a regular human, but then it's like the noses twisted, the eyes twisted, uh really like like yeah, like the stone skin that it kind of had like that that was a good touch too. Yeah, and that's just Bill. But just like, yeah, like all of it's hard to like break down everything because I just feel like everything was just so perfect, Like like like Odysseus' reaction to like, yeah, well, well it's light a fire, we'll welcome the homeowner's back. Like when they get he's eating his cheese like man like, and then and then he's just totally like in shock, like when he actually sees the threat, and yeah, just the way that it looks looks at them is so terrifying. But for me, it's like just totally the cherry on top is like the audio effect when he gets stabbed. It is so fucking loud from him wailing and also just like the score like supplementing that higher sequence, and it literally doesn't stop until they get off of the island, Like it's so persistent and it just adds such a level of like threat and danger and yeah, bold move shooting that last arrow off at your enemy. I respect it as an online PvP gamer, you know, I respect making the move, but holy fuck man, he could have saved a lot of his men if he if he didn't do that right, because the he wasn't even chasing them. He's like, okay, yeah, you guys are out of there.
Speaker 1: But there's always a chance he could have chased him and had better eyesight. Right, So, you don't know, maybe Odysseus he was already flying, but he could be even more blind if you shoot with an.
Speaker 2: Arrow pissed off.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he's a.
Speaker 3: Little more psight than being blind.
Speaker 1: Well, but just like John, like Guizamo, though, he's like, I can't see everything, so there's a chance that he could ue.
Speaker 3: I don't think he saw anything. He was full on ears.
Speaker 1: That's what he told us though.
Speaker 3: He he who always John John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he even said I can't see everything. I can't see much, so he could still see it, like a little some saying the cyclops could have maybe saw something. Yeah, it's definitely just a play to like, hey, fuck you for killing our guys. But uh, he's going through some stuff, you know. And and then this is where because I want I didn't want to butt in, and I want to use his example where it'll be interesting for people that like live and die by this book and they don't like changes. For me that all the changes they do in here, that's why I'm always like I'm down for Christopher Nolans Odyssey in the book. This is like a very kind of like silly, more comedic scene how he how they do this is they get the giant drunk and then they fall asleep and then he pokes it and it's all about like the giant and they have full conations with him of like oh uh, because Odysseus lies and gives a different aim and then after they blind him, the Cyclops is like, oh, there was a fortune given to me that Odysseus was always gonna blind me, and you tricked me by giving me a fake name. If I knew you were Odysseus, I would never let it come the cave. And Odysseus is like, yeah, you tell me, like you tell everybody, A fucking little man made you blind, and like so that's where for me, don't get wrong, this seems great in the book, but what Nolan did here, that's where it's like I want. I'm sure Nolan could make a fun, great scene of all we're gonna get the giant drunk. I don't want that. With what we got here, It's like, this is what That's why there's many versions. That's why adaption is great because I would take this horrifying, claustrophobic, scared for your life scene over. Oh yeah, like let's have some fun here and be a little comedic. So again, there's gonna be changes that are throughout, but I was I was very happy with this, and again that's why it's what I'm here for, right to see what Nolan's gonna do. And a very scary scene and like you said to you, they pretty much mask them up until the water and even that it's like small, which is good because Nolan said his inspiration for this was the shark from Jaws and the first alien from Alien. Then I think they achieved that type of vibe of you know, you see it a bunch, but it's also always hidden, like even if it was in the water, I felt you the justin because they they had this nice moment. Okay, it's gone and then these two guys are swimming back. Yeah, we made they got swallowed up and man, just just horrifying. You're just looking back there and this thing's chasing you. So one of the many few like horrors of this movie.
Speaker 3: And it's a different kind of again, different era of men too, Like we just them all being in here. You know, they're they're brawn, they're fighting. But I really liked how they're like, oh no, instead of sending just two guys, let's do four, because it's two guys that this thing eats and then it goes to sleep. So we're gonna take advantage of that kind of component.
Speaker 2: So I like that.
Speaker 3: I like them kind of thinking on their feet and adapting. And I feel like in every tribulation it's them, some of them either caving and it's succumbing to the temptation or some of them kind of like getting tactical and figuring out how to work their way around these situations. And I feel like we the Cyclops was a big one, and I was confused first pit second when all the men were out, Odysseus is like turns around and it just jumps in the cave, like what the fuck are you doing? But like, oh, he's got buddies still in there, so that makes sense, so he's not leaving them behind, which which I like. But yeah, when when those two guys are swimming in the water there, that's just Yeah. I feel like there were many instances where the boats should not have been beached the way they were. They should have taken the little dinghies out. Don't beat your fucking boats on the land. Man.
Speaker 1: Well they might, but they might thought they might stay like longer. Right, there's a chance they stay overnight or for a couple of days. So but no, but they didn't know the fucking giants. But I'm just saying, like their point of view is they're thinking they don't know how long it could be. Right, you don't want to risk something happening where your boat's out there and it's damage or lost. Then you have what your little dinghies you're supposed to get back home.
Speaker 3: Like I had three boats, he had three, so he had you know, some muggle room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. But I can see why they were why they did what they did. You know, it's their attack plan made sense to me of uh, you know, because they did that with on the Sun God planet. Right, they took the boats and they were there for days upon days, right.
Speaker 3: So they got beached.
Speaker 1: Right the win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they took the Dinghies and that would have been a different serve, but I guess they didn't have anchors back then.
Speaker 4: They took the Dinghies when they went and had the whole Circe sequence too, right, Just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because they because they were over it, because they all just and they get there, like, yeah, you're staying there, right that what you guys like, is it a mutiny? Uh, it doesn't have to be. But they're just insinuating like we're gonna stay the night, we're gonna eat, and then we're gonna leave you here, and just brutal because I guess he's made some to them some questionable calls, right, but just to leave this guy who led you into battle, Troy, you were there for years, and you're like, you know what, now we're gonna we're gonna jack sparrow you and leave you here. It's like, man, this guy and then he saves their butts later on, So obviously I like that joke when he's like, oh, we leave in the morning and he's like, I can't remember his name, but the guy that Hamshed Patel plays, I'll pull it up here and but for them, but when he just kind of gives in the head and not like yeah, okay, you've you've made it back in but yeah, what did you guys think about the seriously sequence?
Speaker 2: My god man, Yeah, that was disturbing for sure. I was waiting for that scene and it did not go how I thought he was gonna go at all. It was very much like some body horror stuff. I feel it was very long sequence of her like actually turning them back or sorry, turning them into pigs. And then even turning back that was equally disturbing, just like she's rubbing them. It's like turn back into your disguise is turned back into she repeating this line every morning.
Speaker 1: That's witch.
Speaker 2: Your disguise. Witchcraft is fucking creepy when it's portrayed this way.
Speaker 1: Again, no one's never done you know like that like the body horder and that type of stuff, Like that's.
Speaker 2: A new substance level.
Speaker 1: Someone said that when we're walking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I also thought they were gonna be pigs for like much longer.
Speaker 1: I think in the book they are a little I don't think it's as like I don't think he shows up like like right away and like, hey, what's going on? I think there is?
Speaker 2: It seem pretty little for him to be like, yeah, just turn them back, so okay, okay, And then I actually laughed out loud because like the next scene is like the men like putting on their their shit back in and they're just coming back into the house. They're just like what the fuck was that? Like that was like that was the most fucked up event of my entire life. Like I turned into a pig, literally, I was forced to eat. And now we're just back and and business as usual. We're not going to take any revenge on this lady. We're just gonna keep going about. It was just like the way that Buddy looked at Circe and then Odysseus, It's just like, what the fuck even was that? Like that was just so terrifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny like that that sequence. I thought everything was going kind of normal at at first, and then when they go outside and like with their weapons aside, and there's just piles of weapons. That's when I was like, oh, okay, well, I'm say something's gon here. And the one guy who look like Pedro Pascal, but I don't think is, but I swear I was like, why is peedron this moving like doesn't have like a spoken line like what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: He like looks over sees like this pile of stuff and like all these guys, these guys are cooked. And I thought it was just gonna be classic poison and they were just gonna drop dead. But I guess that obviously makes sense when they were hinting with all the like lions and tigers and things like that all the all the way up there. But yeah, that sequence just disgusting, like even whatever they're eating and just how long and stringing, how it looks like a tapeworm or something like that. Like it's just disgusting. But they just can't be stopped and they're just like, yeah, almost puking as they're eating all this stuff. That sequence was I like, I like you mentioned that Traves, it just feels like Nolan's never done something quite like that before. And then yeah, just like the really nasty zoom in shots and then we she's like molding them like clay. Uh uh, not our patron Clay, but like clay molding. It's really really gorgeous stuff. So I don't know, I just absolutely nasty sequel into the but I couldn't look away at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and good if it's more brought the lion leopard. That was a great build up as far as they're walking past all these dangerous animals and they're just chilling do nothing. They're like, okay, like why like why wouldn't But maybe they're trained, well why didn't they flinched? But just the and obviously then and great reveal too, when Matt Damon shoots at the deer and then just a butt ass naked dude in the field and he's running back. Yeah, he runs back to the boat guy Josh Stewart. He just takes all the stuff like you you just stay here. But that's right, even before the pig stuff, just even them eating the food and the way they had the actions in the food that was disturbing enough that was gross and like felt so off, Like every time she saw on Hamish Pattel and he's just like shits like and he just stuffed like even before she started tormenting their faces. I was like, Okay, this is super messed up, and uh, it's giving me the hev GE's. This was my favorite sequence of the movie just because it was I like, I just didn't think he was gonna go this far. And again, I'm very glad this movie was radar, because I'm sure in PG. Thirteen this couldn't happen. Very glad they're not like, yeah, yeah, that's kind of like, No, man, I just made Oppenheimer one, you best picture. You're gonna keep this pig scene's gonna stay in here, you know, And I loved it. That's a nightmare fuel type of scene, you know.
Speaker 4: So the way Odysseus like talks her down and convinces her, you guys are right, maybe it is like a big brief I suppose, probably compared to the book at least.
Speaker 2: But I really love that.
Speaker 4: Obviously he does have some leverage there where he's got his hand around the neck of the bird who turns out as her sister. But yeah, I just love that that dialogue sequence there and how he wasn't ready to give up on his I mean, I didn't think she'd be able to turn them back.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I just assume that, you know, especially if this bird is like important to her, then she would have turned this bird back obviously, because that was someone that was important to her. But yeah, I don't know that that was a really good sequence because I think obviously we saw a lot of that where violence and like rage is what fueled him early on. But I think he really tried to switch it up and sometimes you just got to fight through a whole sequence.
Speaker 2: We see that at the end as well.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I thought the dialogue there was was really well done.
Speaker 1: So now next time you're on island, you know, not to take the meats.
Speaker 2: You know, take the meats.
Speaker 3: Don't take Yeah, although I mean that first the food looked really good. I mean, she had tons of stuff cooking in there. I'm sure it smelled good and you go in there. But yeah, just when I don't think.
Speaker 1: It looked very good, I went doing it looked it looked as it looked like we have.
Speaker 2: Raman i've ever seen in my life there.
Speaker 1: Right now to be a pig has to come.
Speaker 3: In and take her down a not so she turns me back. But uh yeah, once it was going down their throats, they're like all choking on it and whatnot. That was a bit, uh, a bit gruesome. But yeah, it's just it's it's cool in retrospect because it's like, okay, well, now you know, all these big cats going up the valley, wy are all people that she's turned into animals for some specific reason. But yeah, she It was interesting because she was able to be reasoned with. And I don't know much about Circe, but yeah, it was just a disgusting scene, really disgusting just when she puts her hand on like the guy's jab, pulls it out and just just reshaping them and all that stuff. Oh, this is just gross and not something I was expecting. But good effects, good practical effects and all that stuff that they were employing here. So I really like that, but yeah, yucky. It was cool. She kind of like joins, not joins her side, but kind of like sets them up, like okay, well you want to go to this beach, you know, make a sacrifice and then you're going to talk to some ship.
Speaker 1: So yeah, go to Haites everything like that, and then great, great scene, good great. Uh I call them Harry James Ramar he's you know, and I knew that was James.
Speaker 2: I just liked sure, but I'm like, this sounds exactly like fucking Harry.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was Harry. I love that he's an old guy like he he always says these great scenes and offin.
Speaker 2: Was he I didn't even catch it.
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: He's like mud man.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, trigging the blood trice.
Speaker 4: I thought was rolling for a second rolling. I could not tell who that was.
Speaker 1: But yeah, tire sees whatever. I'm not gonna I'm gonna butcher these names. But yeah, James, Yeah, he's an Oppenheimer. He had a great scene stealer when he made that terrible joke and Oppenheimer and then he's in here and like a very like like he did like if you were to say, like, hey, Dafoe's gonna do this type of role. But yeah, the photo is that weird stuff all the time. But like, I don't pick James is like doing the weird type of role guy, right, And that's why I like again, it was just like I've never the the weird stay saying James roond Do is like a whore anthology where he like made love to a gargoyle back in the day and that was like back in the eighties, so it's been a minute. So that whole sequence was great. The look of everybody of every man done. I was getting like Senya Blade, like what the hell is the full.
Speaker 4: Name of the games and was sacrificing?
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever, that the way they're looking all muddy and oily and stuff. As I getting that big vibe Page is greater, I had to laugh because Emily doesn't follow stuff as much anymore. So I'm sure we'll circle back to it. But when Elliott Page's well, first of all, the movie opens with Travis Scott Bold and then the next shot see Page and he's there, He's sitting there on the beach and that gets killed the arrows and they just laughed because she thought she had not seen it, because I knew Elliot Page was coming back and see you on like in in the mud and doing the whole prophecy thing, but she had not seen maybe just maybe one tease or something, so like God tip Page and then he just got killed right away. She's like, oh really, that's that's all like thirty seconds of screen time a yet. But then now he got some more stuff. But now this this was fit again all like this is gonna be a bit when we get to Golden Geeks. For it's that It's that this is that movie where it's like, hey, here's the ten scenes from Odyssey, what do we do with this? But everything the whole sequence just talking about just sacrifices and how like Odysseus thought he was doing a good thing for zion CeON, however, for I'm not. I'm gonna lie to him and not tell him the truth that we're in here because he's being noble and doing this right. But then he's like, well, no, you lie to me. So I just saw you kind of a band to me. I was on my own side. I questioned everything, I did everything about this battle. So like again, like Odysseus, many times this movie figures out, oh I was wrong to do this, but what.
Speaker 2: Is this his line too, he's like, I was right there. I heard you won the war.
Speaker 1: He won the war. But it's like that didn't that didn't help him and his journey, right, And that's where and again we get to that at the end with the Trojan horse everything. But he was so goal oriented on winning this and doing this, he didn't think about that stuff till after it was all over. And even then he hasn't thought of this until he has to see the ghost of this dude. Right, But great sequence, phenomenal. I got one nitpick in a second, But I'll wait till you guys circle around. There's another character that pops up that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I think that the visuals of that sequence were unbelievable. I did have a question for you guys, because I feel like I classic Nolan. Sometimes you just can't hear things properly because of the sound mixing. I do think this was much better than Tennant, which had a ton of those issues.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, maybe.
Speaker 4: It's because I was in Imax. Bragg got to the audio balancing is much better there. But the guy who was like the really big guy with the kind of the black armor set, who was like married to Helen of Troy, Like what happened between them I totally missed, Like he betrayed her or took her daughter.
Speaker 2: I missed what happened there. I was gonna say, either wan, that's Agamemnon. He's like the king of the Greeks. Yeah, his brother was John Bernenthal Manelaeis and his wife was Helen and Troy. So when Helen and Troy got taken, Agamennon is like my bro, my bro, you know, we gotta we gotta go storm Troy and get your woman back, but in reality and egame, Moon wanted to just fuck up Troy because they're in charge of the trade routes, right, because they're in like a strategic location. But he's married to Helena, Troy's twin sister. I guess yes, so Lapita played the same same.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One part you forgot to mention though, is John Berthnall's wife. She did wasn't taken. She left Berthal for a different guy like this, So this happens in the Lily four the Odyssey. Yeah, you haven't seen the Troy Watch Troy is like a good prequel, but like I think, I think it's all covered in the Liliad too, and stuff, which I think I might read after because I think, like the Trojan Horse in the War of Troy is in the Odyssey, but it's not like it's just lots of time referred to, like it's like, oh, that happened, and we know this person from that. I think most that takes place in the Liliad because it's like all these characters and then aunt like Odysseus kind of spins off. But what happens is John Berthall's wife leaves him, so he goes to Benny Saftie, who's agamonomon, you know whatever, Darth Vader looking motherfucker, who was great. That's why I want to nitpick until he spoke. I wish he did something the exact same thing he start Vader and he's like, hey, this is this, make sure you uh don't leave your wife and don't go home, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like Aora Maxine, like like when when they opened the gates of Troy and he's just standing there. Oh my Vader. I'm like like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he walks, it vibrates. He had like he's so big, and then when he's and it's weird because Oppenheimer he has he does a deep voice in Oppenheimer, so I know he can do it. I think maybe he was trying to like maybe seem like in death now he's not scary, So if that's the purpose, I get it. But yeah, because we never see him again.
Speaker 4: I had such a different experience, like I since I didn't know a ton of the cast, or like I learned about these things and then forgot, like James Ramar and Safti, I didn't realize either of them were in this, and then I saw Safty in the credits, I was like.
Speaker 3: Who the fuck was Benny's safety in this movie?
Speaker 2: So for me, honestly, it worked.
Speaker 4: I I was tricked, I was deceived, So that.
Speaker 2: Worked for me. I wasn't taking out of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So like what Kirkland says, Birthlall's wife leaves him, that's all reapeda that's helling sure, And that's why she gets her face cut up, because it's like when he gets her back, that's her punishment is because she's so beautiful. That's why people would go to war for and fight. Let's mess up her face, right, So when he takes her, Benny Safty has always wanted to go fuck up Troy and invade it and destroy it. But they use this excuse of oh, well you stole my brother's wife. But really it has nothing. It has a little do with Helen Troy, but like it doesn't have like she's just like a straw man. So that and then but when he goes home, that's why Kirkan says, the sister fucks him up because he killed a bunch of people and ruined her twin sister's life. So when he's there getting ready to get late, he's like I have one took an over Troy, I got the trade route and then she kills him. It's like a family, like you hurt my sister and you did a bunch of other innocent people.
Speaker 2: The worst thing that he did was he literally sacrificed to her for better winds.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of things, Yeah, it's a lot of things.
Speaker 2: There. There was like a flashback cutscene to like her in tears when that moment happened. So I think that was very much the incitings.
Speaker 1: Probably the CROs but the other stuff didn't help. You know, the other stuff didn't help the winds.
Speaker 3: You know, he needed the winds on his side.
Speaker 2: You know, worked won on the war.
Speaker 1: He just didn't get to survive much after.
Speaker 2: You know, he didn't have what is right arguably he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Or Achilles or anything like that, right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was mentioned in this.
Speaker 4: He died way before the horse, so Bingo game to play watching a new Nolan movie with like, oh yeah, this actor wasn't like this other Nolan movie. You know, Elliott Page hasn't been in something since inception. A bunch of these people were in Oppenheimer. So a lot of them are building up a little streak here, but in Matt Damon of course, like it's it's so much fun. And Hathaway, like all these people have like been in a movie at some point, maybe not for like ten fifteen years or something like that. It's it's really fun to kind of get the crew all back together in a way, and then just a million new like amazing actors who have never worked.
Speaker 1: With him, even the guy because I'm a fan of him from The Collector too. And so the guy who's like the bar who like holds like he's the ship guy that's always holding the thing like left or right. He's like Bain's number one henchman in the Dark Knight rises like he's just a guy that's a sniper and he's just like that's all he does. But he's in this. And we did this after once spent Onhile, Hollywood, we should do a Nolan draft before the next movie and do like a we all draft five actors and see who can get closest of getting them in there. Because and I like it, Like you said, it's like it's different eras you know, because Matt Damon and Hathaway are more of that like the tens Era, right, and then some of these people are the Oppenheimer and whatnot. I am still Wayne, Like I hope his next movie. I'm waiting for Bail will come back and waiting for Jack when it feels like he's not pulling from like or Joseph goryon Levitt, Like I could be wrong, but I feel like Elliott Page, unless it springs, his mind is the oldest one that he has connection to, Like, is there anyone past Inception in this cast?
Speaker 2: Well, isn't Ann Hathaway like older or.
Speaker 1: No, that's Interstellar though that's twenty twelve, so that's after inception and during.
Speaker 2: So okay darkness.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, So I think like Elliot Page is like he is like the the the veteran of the group, Like I was trying to think of anybody else, And because there's a lot of new people.
Speaker 2: There's a couple other side characters I recognize that might have appeared in something beforehand, Like yeah, that was always wearing the fucking stirrups, that was making noise and then at the end he's like throwing weapons into the fighting arena.
Speaker 1: Logan Marshall Green, Yeah, like you're just confusing for Tom Hardy.
Speaker 2: I always do.
Speaker 1: Because he's like the lookalike.
Speaker 2: I swear I thought he was like a like a henchman in in the in the the Baine movie Dark Knight Rises, But I guess not.
Speaker 1: Am I even Josh Stewart again, you know, you know it's a.
Speaker 2: Good little side character, though I would love to see him more things has John? How do you print the last time? Le Gizmo? He feels like.
Speaker 1: The first time too, John, So you know, even Tras Scott, he's he's more a return leg zob because he was in an inner cellar or he's in ten it you know, and did this song for that. But okay, where were we? But oh yeah, Haiti seen anything else that on the the Haiti sequence here?
Speaker 2: Uh no, I I love that. I really was curious as to the visuals, like what the hades location would would look like? Uh not what I thought, but I really dug it. I like the silhouettes of the shades. That was terrifying. When they basically chase him out of there, that was terrifying. Uh, James Ramar, that was just cherry on top. Yeah. It also just felt like because Odiss is going down this hole like this this road. Now he's been told like this is basically what has to happen. You're like, all your men are gonna die. You're gonna be the one that makes it through. And he's like clearly like, well, I'm gonna go against the gods. I'm gonna I'm gonna do x y Z. I'm just waiting for terrible stuff to happen. And uh, of course it kind of end up happen, especially for his men later on, but in that moment, it just felt like everything that was coming up, I'm just nervous. I was just nervous. I'm like, man, he's he's bringing down the wrath of Zeus and Poseidon and all these other fucking Greek gods on everyone. He's got a you know, just tearing up every time she looks at him, just feeling so sad, like it's just bad times.
Speaker 3: But we had a good exile himself though, even though he lost his man. I mean, he's just shacking up with Charlie Staron and this island just him and this lady.
Speaker 6: And yeah, which in the book, like Davy Jones, Davy Jones were out this guy, yeah seven years just saying out with one of the hottest actress of all time.
Speaker 1: But like in the movie, they really did the full like he wasn't tricked because she was like nursing him back to health, but really like a I've been here, like sleeping with you this whole time. In the book, it is not like that. He's he's very much like he's cognizant of like he's cheating on his wife. It's a struggle. He cheats on his wife multiple times like another woman in the book. Like so in in the book, it's more like I do really want to go home, but I'm dealing with this war torn stuff. Can I go home? Right? And eventually she's so sick of it because he just keeps some of those wife and his son. She's like, you get out here, like go fack to your fucking like this is clearly and like what do you mean, Like yeah, like you clearly still love her. Go and he realized, oh, I do love her. But in the books it's he's much more a willing participant in the affair, where here it kind of felt like it was like a like a, yeah, I had a niche a sort of situation, right, but uh so they kind of took that and I think for the most part, they did make him kind of a uh, not a likable lead, like some questionable stuff I think in the books. So he is much more of a I won't say a complete piece of shit, but way more of a tougher to like where I've in the movies that kind of like down for him.
Speaker 4: In this I never waiver, Like it always felt like he his heart was in a good place and they had to like sacrifice people along the way, I guess, but it felt like it was for not just himself, but for like the most amount of lives to get back home. It seemed like he was making decisions in that way, even if he was a bit greedy sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still feel like they did a good job though at highlighting. I mean, like it's it's a struggle that he clearly showcases by the end, like when he has the flashbacks to the actual sacking of Troy and just like realizing it's almost like an Oppenheimer moment, right like when he does like I've become death, like destroy of world, It's like that's basically what he what happens. It's like this is the most extreme case of like breaking the law of Zeus right like literally gave like a sacred artifact to these people as like a like an offering of peace, and then we hid in it and then just slipped their throats in the middle of the night and it's just execute big as sin and then just like tying it into of like these the people that came from the sea like this this like Boogeyman. That's just like everyone is. Feel like there's just so many things, like like symbolisms I think that were kind of revealed in that final moment and it's like, oh wow, like I single hand and like this is when he's talking to Penelope too, and she's like, well, many men were obviously like at cause of this. It's like yeah, but it was one man's idea and like all of that weight kind of falls on his own shoulders. Again, very similar to like how Oppenheimer was was kind of going through all that out that was showcasing the movie.
Speaker 1: I feel like you can tell, you know, I could be wrong, could be reading into it, but I don't think so. I feel like you can tell the way that the world that Christopher Nolan feels about it with his last two movies, that they're so fucking bleak and just about how men betray each other and turning each other and how like the future is like I hope we figure it out, you know, like it's like the bomb of the end, like, well, what happens if someone does use this? And it's like, well, Oppenheimer, I hope you didn't screw us over right, And I think this one ends on a bit more of a bit more hopeful because it is that kind of you know, the whole you know, treat Stranger's kindnesscause he never really could be the gods in disguise, right, But still that whole third act is a lot of these men trying to take advantage of a situation, just like he did right with the Gift. They're not doing anything that he didn't do, Like it's still within the battles of war, and same thing here, like he is a guy that they're trying to take over and he's exiled and everything. So again, but it's the idea of you can do these things, but should you do these things? Same thing with Alben him or the bomb.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I think the fact that his last two movies have been very I think worldly and about these big themes as far as the Pandora's Box and what you should do with it and the cost of life, I think is very telling, and you know, hopefully people pick up on that stuff. But you know, definitely a depressing double feature and long double feature, but a good one nonetheless, I think. So.
Speaker 2: The last thing I want to shout out that was kind of morally questionable too is when I think it's like the first island that they arrived to and they're like, oh, I told you that we would land somewhere to get fitted. Yeah, and they literally just get murder and like just burn the village right then and there. It's just like, yeah, it's like why didn't you Why didn't you bring us in and feed us? It's like this starving village even though it's like another example, you guys are literally just the people from the sea, Like you literally just just just boted on in, came in murdered these people, burnt their their lands, took their food. Like these people are fucked now, Like like what if these are zeus in disguise? Like yeah, there's a couple. Like I feel like early on those moments are like really sprinkled in and it's like, well, he's doing for the greater goods. So it's it's a heroic type, like it's a necessary thing that he has to do. Then by the end, when he's having that Pts. Detroit moment seeing Athena being beheaded, like it's just okay, maybe I am the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And that's one thing I think they did a good job because in the book it's like that you don't like. The reason why Idysseus can be like not a great main character as far as like you're rooting for all the time is because they are just combands of war and no one's like exactly right in the situation, right. I think another time when they nailed it is when Tom Holland is learning all this birth noll he's bonding with him and he's saying goodbye to him, and he says, by Helen Troy and he like wraps his arm around her hand neck and pulls her way and ray away. Tom Al's like, oh, there's a whole different side this guy I don't even know about. Right. So from his perspective, John Berthnell's character is like a good guy, helped him out, friend of his dad. Oh I loved your dad. I'm gonna train you, I'm gonna give you ideas to get your kingdom back, but really behind closed doors, he also destroyed his wife's face, you know. And that's where it's like, none of these people are They're all just killing people. It's like, you sick when they get this island and it cuts just all their houses are on fire. It's like, did you actually need to do that part two? Like I doubt you really had to ransack everything, right, So it's I think they did a good job of not losing that that he is our main protagonist character and that's a journey. But these aren't like heroes. They're not heroic people that won a war. They literally were vikings and destroyed everything, right, So m.
Speaker 4: M yeah, to skip to another tribulation, that's probably, you know, one of the lower tier ones, but it's still a really well done sequence. It's just another time they land ashore and then we I don't know what the name of these like giant silver guys.
Speaker 2: What is the holy fuck man? I I don't know what they're called. That was such an intense scene though, like can you imagine, Okay, you're you're you just survived Troy ten years long siege. Okay, now we're just gonna start just island hopping here. You know it's going somewhat okay, you're losing some men on the way. You land on this one island and you just see these just fucking eleven foot tall giants wearing full fucking plate armor. Listrigonians there you go.
Speaker 4: That's a word right there.
Speaker 2: And they just fuck you up like you can't even you can't even democracy with these guys. You know, you can't, can't you can't try in peace talk that Like they literally are just fucking you up. You have no chance. They're fast, they're chasing you in half.
Speaker 3: Well, the trees, you got the ns that are against you too. These fucking trees are moving around, just cages, just like fishing a barrel.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, terrifying.
Speaker 1: And my favorite sequence of that was when they get on the one boat and they pan out and they just see the giants like destroying the boat with their bare hands, flipping it over, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just hearing the cries of like fifty men.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of men that died, but that one the one that did pull me out. When they saw the first like giant infant like the boy and then like boy stood up and like turned around and like screamed. I was like, I'm getting like spoiled Brad vibes from this boy. Yeah, like like an iPad kid kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think it was in Homer's honesty, I don't listen. I only listened to it once and it took me like a month. I slowly listened to but I didn't catch any iPad kids in there, So maybe that's in a it's on the translation I I partook, and but.
Speaker 3: But I feel like things could have transpired.
Speaker 1: No, I mean they're cannibal. This is this is like, oh this is a week, this is maybe months worth of meals right here.
Speaker 3: But they're more prime like wild and like Primeval kind of I think in the actual like Homer's like telling of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think they actually have the armor. I think a lot of people are mad about that's like again, it's just like they look people like had problem with the Greeks arm, like the people that like are like history. Peel was like, no, I love the Greeks. Armor looked fucking cool, like those masks that had like the like the te's and stuff like, no, everybody same thing as agamonomon, Like he he looked great. That doesn't look fantastic. He didn't look like that. Like I'm all down for them to be like, yeah, let's make these giants have silver armor, and they just look like.
Speaker 2: They're so clean.
Speaker 4: It was a weird look in a way that I really enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I found it also just like a good trick to hide the CGI on them, right, like yeah, yeah, a little bit better. I like the idea. And like you said, Travis, I loved the costume design across the board. I love Penelope's outfits. I loved all the armor.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is just like such a nostalgic type of attire for me, because I truly love that movie, Troy. Uh, when I rewatch it nowadays, it's definitely cheeseball filled moments for sure. But like I loved that movie as a kid like that, playing age mythology, Age of Empires, just like the Bronze Age like that. I was eating that stuff up when I was first getting into our rts's and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I will say this movie didn't make me laugh a whole lot, not a lot of big laughs one that we can talk about later. But one one of my laughs was later in the movie, just when when the whole final sequence and Pattison's.
Speaker 1: Like shields, shields.
Speaker 2: I was laughing at that part.
Speaker 4: But also when they show up and they start talking to that kid with the Last Premonial whatever those guys are called, and then Hamish like the backup guys.
Speaker 1: Like we just want food, give us some food.
Speaker 4: Like the way he was just like immediately yelling at this child gave me a good and how weird the kid looked to that.
Speaker 2: That got a chuckle out of me.
Speaker 4: And maybe I don't know if it was intentionally going for a laugh there, but those are the two points in this movie that gave me a little laugh.
Speaker 3: I feel like they could have taken on more of those giants, to be honest, because after they're all retreating, they just like get out of here. Yeah, run away. Because when you see that quick cut scene of them on the last boat and Odysseus fires that headshot and just like one hit Ko's that guy freeing or saving hey mesh, I just felt like, okay, well that just kind of settles it. Like these guys there were there was a lot of them, and more than enough that they could have definitely taken out more of these guys. One arrow to the head and that one.
Speaker 1: But that's because one arrow that giant's not looking at Damon specifically, and he has the high ground. I think that sequence Odysseus.
Speaker 2: I don't think he is like a full plethora of Odysseus's right, And.
Speaker 1: That's why I was gonna say, wuldn't that to me? The point of no return was Honestly, we'll get to the end of the movie when he just like takes on one v. Fifteen pretty much wins right in this situation when he tries to one v one one the giants does not go his way. So that's why it's like, Okay, this guy who's supposed to be, you know, after maybe Achilles is dead, one of the best generals out there war guys, and he's taking on all of these giants one on one and it's not going well. I think they're right to get the fuck out because I like Kirk and Sid's like, okay, sure, and eventually run out of arrows. There's not like I think they would have firing arrows.
Speaker 3: It looked like though, So I mean I feel like if you have a few guys in those boats fire and arrows, you're gonna they're not gonna take out a few of them.
Speaker 2: How many people fire arrows like Odysseus. Yeah, And also just like I feel like you're underestimating Taylor, Like the mental damage that this moment happens, Like like you're you're starving, You're you've been on the waters for who knows how long, and you just see these fucking eleven foot plate cladded men that just come in. They're moving the trees, They're fucking up all your friends. Like I wouldn't even be able to draw a bow let alone, like like, just take on these fucking giants, I would be right. And like the wind bulls eye, and and also like the fear in their eyes when this is like, yeah, just just circle the island. We're gonna find a spot that we can let the Like, are you fucking kid? What if they have boats? What if they have boats that they come after us? Like like the fear in their hearts? I think that's totally warranted. That's after what happened.
Speaker 1: That's why with UH, Like before they go to the UH, Circe's little island there when they docked, they're like, we're going in the morning. We're not like they've been through so much in that twenty four hours and there it's because Hana's just done to the other guy. It's all saying. David sees him and he's kind of like, oh what what And then obviously they're talking about mutiny at that point right still, but he can get the vibe when he's like, no, we're going in the morning. He's like, yeah, yeah, the morning. But Day wants to go now, he wants you to go, and he wants to but he's like, yeah, we we best just like anchor here and hope for the best. And obviously another shit situation where they just get turned into pigs, you know. So it's it's and then like it's literally cyclops, the giants, pigs, hades and then the well they get a break because they go on that eye.
Speaker 4: A lot going on in that water sequence afterwards.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, and they get they get eighten right. By the thing is if they take a certain path, there's only six that dies. I did like that sequence. I thought that sequence to me was going to be potentially the best one. And I feel like out of all the situations they did as maybe the rank the lowest, which one like the sea or herman has a certain name. But with all the heads that was pulling them out of the boat, and it was the thing where after the world. Yeah yeah, like right at that whirlpool when they that was the thing where if they take a turn, Odysseus new like only six would die versus all of them. I thought the sequence was gonna be like a bit more intense. It was still like great, but I thought it would be more similar to the Cyclops because I feel like I feel like that's what I've seen the most in the honesty for artists always like the boat and like the sea creature over the boat and everything. So I think they're trying their best to also like not go to cgi heavy. So I feel like that's why they they did that, because I think no one didn't want to like have that going on. And then right after that is when to get to that island for a little bit, and then they're waiting and then of course like hey we can go there. You just can't eat the meat. Now we're not gonna eat mean, okay, swear you do what I mean you're not gonna eat it? Yeah, sure, And then you know, a couple of nights later, he wakes up. They're all hunkered down in a hole somewhere. They eat the meat. And then that to me another sequens, this boat sequence that felt like a horror movie them on there. There was just that one shot of I don't know what it is. I'm not a boat guy, but it's like it's like the big wood thing is all the way up the sky and it's just like shoot the mask and it's the sail is gone and it's just a shot of the sky, lightning, rain and just the mass and that's what it is. It just like that for ten seconds, but horrifying with the sound mix and everything going on. And then they're cutting these guys fighting for their lies. Their legs are getting broken just by the pure power. And then that boat cracks that one And talk about a loud sequence, which in a good way, that was a loud sequence I could feel. So again another Secrets, I absolutely loved here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, extremely overwhelming.
Speaker 2: That sequence was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't I couldn't imagine. So let's sake, yeah, uh, let's take a good I break and we'll be right back and we're back. As I mentioned, we did re release the retrospecta for Christopher no Holme. But if you going, hey, those other retros that we've done that might not be in the live feeds because they're years later. He's go to Patron. It's all up there. We have been doing this for eleven years and almost our entire backlog is on there. Get episodes add free like this one. You get early episodes, and each tier Face Tune Up has exclusive episodes. Patreon producers, you get up to sixty episodes, exclusive culmination of reviews, evergreen topics or shows with listeners behind the scenes stuff, lots of good things. Shout out to those Patreon producers. Aaron Braden, April Darkness, Jack Grant, Super Bad, Mike, God Loves Me, six Ak and normalis Vetus Hadalgoh Yeah, let me Kravitz, Cocktail, Clay John with o H, Sam Green, John m Matthew Fletcher. You join that tier, you get a shout, you get everything we do. You recommend a movie other teers, you can join After Night. I'm excited for when we were doing next After Night and talk to people out these things. And then lastly not least not the whole rigging' role. But GIV Day is join us doing it town or stream, celebrating eleven years of geek first history. Uh, tons of events, dozen events, podcasts, fun stuff, guests, announcements, be there. That's gonna be a journey. That's gonna be our Aues journey. I was gonna do that and yeah, we very much appreciate that today where if you want us to go longer, you join patroon or send a super chat and we will go as long as they keep coming in. Last year went over four and a half hours and plans, so it should be another good day.
Speaker 2: It's uh, you know, we'll in the white lotus or the lotus flower whatever it's called.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, give me more. She's like, can you just loved it? You just kept eating it and eating it, but yeah, what's your next?
Speaker 4: Well, I want to just issue a quick shout out to Hamish Patel who plays your your youroculus.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, that sounds why I've just been saying that Realtel. That's why I was like, I cannot get.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky one. But no, I thought he did great.
Speaker 4: I mean I was I think he had more screen time than Tom Holland in this He's He's in it a lot, and you know, I think for the crew, like Travis you mentioned this earlier, that heus kind of has to put up like that stoic faced a lot of time, and he obviously does have a ton of emotional sequences as well, usually when he's kind of away from the crew, but we do get a lot of these tribulations and stuff, and I feel like in those moments.
Speaker 2: He is pretty stoked.
Speaker 4: He's trying to keep on a strong face, and I feel like that is kind of the one character of the crew. He's kind of representing the emotions of everyone. And obviously when like they have the mutiny moment, like he's kind of the mouthpiece for that.
Speaker 2: And I also think he's.
Speaker 4: The one who's emoting through a lot of the things and the reactions to Odysseus and kind of being pissed off or just uh, I don't know, exhausted, all sorts of different things. I feel like he did a really really great job in this, in this role that I maybe wasn't expecting, but I think you kind of need. That's a big crew and some of the people get like a couple of little moments here or there, but really he's the kind of only one of the crew that I'll probably remember like a month from now, you know. And I think he did a really great job. So someone who doesn't have like an arc of his own, he's kind of just a guy. But I I thought he did a really great job in this movie, so shouted him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he was good. It felt like, although he's like a bit of a thorn in the side of Odysseus at times, I feel like they executed in a way that like felt very natural though, right, Like Odysseus is doing some some pretty uh skeptical calls for someone like that, Like they are just wanting to get home. They're so hungry, they're so they're so just yeah, exhausted. They literally went through this terrif like terrifying siege of Troy, they just barely made it through, and now they're just one terrifying event after the other, and it's like, Okay, yeah, we we we maybe need to do something about this leader that's just taken us on this this wild goose chase. And yeah, like I couldn't really blame him, honestly, when Disseus is like sail right into the mailstrom. We're gonna we're gonna be able to just just just grind that psychology though, right, yeah, no, I totally works. You're You're totally right, Taylor. He is the just master strategists of Odysseus. But still like from their perspective, this guy especially, they're totally massive belief in their Greek gods at the time, Like this guy is like, uh, disrespecting the gods right, all these things, and like, yeah, he's probably the reason why there is maelstroms popping up there. He probably is the reason why we're lost. He probably is the reason why we keep getting these terrible storms.
Speaker 3: Listening to the sirens singing is orgasming on the mask and that.
Speaker 2: I actually laughed out loud in that scene because he's just like so fucking giddy, like this is his biggest kink in the world, like like time me up, time me up, time up to the mask, like like are you gonna use the wax too? It's like no, no, nobody else has heard it before. I can't wait to be the only one. And then the first like later on, you know he's in pain, but when they first show it to him. I swear to god, it's like pleasure sex faces that he's making, like like he's just after for sure. I was just laughing so hard about again, like like I feel like that scene was happening fast too, Like it's like, Okay, they get to the sirens and it's like right away like time. Oh my god, I can't I can't wait to hear them. It was. It was a little bit goofy for me.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then the one guy, you know, he was curious and you pop the wax out and he jumped to his death. He was breaststroking right to the sirens. Wonder whatever wrapped on that guy. Maybe he had a happy end life.
Speaker 3: You don't die on screen, so I mean he's still a live technically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, came back for part two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he became the King of the Sirens. You know, he just like Tom Holans the King now and he just sees like the sirens carrying this guy. I'm back, you know. Naw, he's he's gone, he's he's he's dead as a disco. So yeah, any sequences or should we talk about specific actors, performances, et cetera.
Speaker 3: When the boys are all in that horse I mean just drowned in the bottom. They got the little like the straw like breathe out of the water. Like, what a fucking perspective that was.
Speaker 2: I never thought of that event being that fucked up and horrible until like this movie, like like just the thought of them, like you gotta just wait for Troy to come collect it right when the tide comes in. They're drowning, guarantee at the bottom. It's just filled with shitting, pissed too. They said that drowning. Yeah, like it's it's such a horrifying like kind of surprised that they even had strength to really take Troy from the inside. Matt dam did a good job and kind of you know, we first got on the horse, his knees like a little stiff, Like how can you not you're just standing there for days? But uh yeah, that was That was honestly so claustrophobic, and that's what.
Speaker 3: I grew up thinking it was. You know, the total fuckers on wheels. Easy. They got toilets in there. It's easy.
Speaker 1: I think most of the time it is because no one talked about he had this idea.
Speaker 2: They're getting there. Fucking Instagram feeds in there.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the Brad Pitt Troy movie, Nolan was originally supposed to direct that movie, and he said he had this idea for the Trojan Horse back then because he wanted to do something different and he didn't get to do it because the guy at the time, Wolfkin Pearson, was making a Batman for a Superman movie. It fell through. It's like, ah, we'll give you Troy. He got Troy, and then they went to Nolan and said, hey, do you want to do anything with Batman? And then it's funny that he did Batman. Then years later he gets this, but this was he said he had this idea back in like the early aughts of them with because most time the horse is not ready and no and Budgetarry wise would not have been ready either. But like the horses usually, I believe always, just like on the sand upright, he had the idea of like what if it's submerged in the water, kind of like off kilter and everything. So yeah, great, great seque was all right, and again they are weaker, but there their whole thing is they just gotta be sneaky and open the gate, right, So it's not like they got to take it over because even when we were watching Troy, me and him, I'm like, right, how does this go again? It's well, right because they got to do this, and which is a good moment too with when they're talking about the bow, right and he strings it before he kills that pig or it's not pig, what is it the wordthog? Right, yeah, and they go, oh, well, well why do you do that? And he talks about hunting versus killing. It's like, well, hunting is still killing, it's just doing it quietly. So it's kind of great. Then when you get to see the full you know, battle Troy two hours later, that's what he's doing. He's doing the hunting yet is killing. And I love that. We got three bow sequences here. There was the first one was I believe now I'm already forgetting the second one. Oh yeah. The first one was a Troy here when they open up the gates and it was him just taking all these guys. Super intense scene. That's where again I can't I'm completely fine with Christopher Nolan's action. Is it John Wick stuff? No, But the intensity, how it shot, the quick cuts everything, I'm down with that. But you get the boat scene there you get the bow scene at the Giants again when he's trying to save people. He does save Famous Pattel, and then he hit the bow scene again with him taking on all the suitors. So it's almost like an each We got a segment where Matt Damon is facing down a bunch of people with a bow and uh, he survives it all somehow, you know. But yeah, great, great intense sequence. And it was like they sprinkled the Trojan Horse throughout that movie a lot, and it it works. So even when when you got to the ending and they showed the full thing, it's still hit and powerful and just that it's not a wonder but just the sequence of Damon just walk around seeing just all these innocents people slaughtered, realizing of like, oh, I'm not on the right side on this at all. Like, you know, he had good motivations to go. He was worried for his son's life. But still it's like at what costs maybe, and hey, Hathaway is right and they just should have fucking skipped down, you know, and got out of there.
Speaker 3: But when Burnhalt was describing that story to Tom Holland and just the perspective of being inside again. You got the ship and all the starving and all that kind of stuff, but just that the sequence when they were dragging it into Troy and then you've got this, like the sword come down. I'm thinking, like, these guys are standing like, kneel down, kneel the fuck down. They're standing way too high up against the ceiling, and sure enough, Buddy just gets it right into his spine. And then as soon as like that happens, they cover his mouth and the sword's a belt to go up, but Buddy puts his hands on it and like slides the blood off. That was amazing response time. He saved all the boys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, could you imagine that they just you pull this bloody blade out of the horse, you know, it would have been over for you. He had that one guy trying to escape too, which like half you're just gonna go out there and get slaughtered. I guess maybe he's hoping that if he was like to be the one to tell them everyone's in there. But nah, man, they're just gonna tear you to pieces. Like you're you're committed the second year in the horse, you gotta be committed. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny too, because they like they hold him down and he's like I'm good, I'm good, I'm good, and then they.
Speaker 1: Like he tries again. He tries like one more time, like a little one, but he still tries like push forward, like no, buddy, like you're in here, and yeah, I couldn't do that way too clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the people that are in the Horse should be the most loyal to this plan, and this guy's yeah, ready to fucking jump ship.
Speaker 1: I guess it's just because you, like, I guess the difference from again the pitch of the plan to hearing the plan and you being dragon just knowing like, oh, if they find us, we are we're done for, Like there's nothing they can do. But no, they they take down Troy that way and get everybody in and uh, the rest is unfortunate history.
Speaker 3: So that was a cool scene when they get to the top and he drops that torch and you see the fucking army just against the wall quietly. It's like, fuck, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was really surprised, honestly, with how much Troy stuff was in here, Like it makes sense because this is obviously following the events of Troy, and if you don't know anything about that, like, I feel like they have to kind of touch upon that obviously by the end, it's a very integral piece to the story of just like this PTSD that he's feeling and just yeah, like all these like innocent people in Troy were murdered, like ripped out of their homes in the middle of the night because of Odysseus. So it totally makes sense that they would show all that stuff. But yeah, I don't know just going into it. I obviously saw the Trojan horse imagery all for the marketing. I knew that'd be touched upon, But to actually see the siege of Troy, I thought that was a nice addition because I just wasn't expecting and I thought it was great. We already talked about the scene when they fucking opened the gates and you have Benny Safti looking like Darth Vader. Yeah, Max Aura until he spoke, I completely agree with Travis in the same boat. Uh. He looked so good though, like in that armor, like with his like curly black hair. I'm like, man, like holy.
Speaker 1: He could see his face. He just saw like this guy a.
Speaker 2: Main villain roll somewhere like I don't I don't care what happens. And then he spoke and I'm like, okay, never mind. He did get the main villain role in Super.
Speaker 1: Mario and and in Happy Gilmore too.
Speaker 2: Never saw it in Mario? Is he that junior? Okay?
Speaker 3: I just like hugs Big Year for him every time he sees He just gives them a nice, little gentle hug.
Speaker 1: Oh but it feels like he'd break his neck at any moment.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: It's not like a warm hug. It's like you hugging that relative. You're like, I don't really like you, but it's a family reunion. But I didn't want to get to your point though. Kirkland, The Trojan Horse is actually the last Shawlesce movie of it on Fire. It's like it's all the marketing, but that's the last Shaw This movie is the Horse on Fire. Yeah, so, and it's a big thing. It's pretty much like if, like you, if you made a Star Wars movie but you didn't make New Hope, you still would have to talk about like the Death Star blowing up, and that's like what this is where it's like, well, we gotta we gotta show. I just didn't I thought it was gonna be almost like not a one and done. But I didn't think it would be sprinkled throughout. I thought we'd show it and then they'd build upon that, not like it's so like, this is how fucking good him and his team are. We know what happened to Battle Troy the whole movie, they talk about his PTSD and how they wanted it to do. They use that as the big like other than his Battle the Suitors, A big third act reveals that, oh, they won the war and killed a lot of people. It's like, yeah, we know this, but when you're watching it doesn't feel like that feels like you're watching it for the first time, Like, oh man, yeah, they did do a lot of bad stuff here, you know, even the Athena thing, like it's just a statue, but I love the imagery of it's you know, it's in day being holed up and it's like a literal one. So yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like the shots of Troy earlier on, I feel like they aren't like negative on like you know, it's just like, yeah, we conquered, we did it, we won the battle, and like just when they talk about it that really much is that like Odysseus was the person that made all these men be able to go home to their family, Like it's a very positive take. And then by the end when he's actually boots on the ground and he's just, oh, man, I fucked up. I fucked up big time.
Speaker 1: And plus because they only like insinuated a few times in this but again, the Battle of Troy is like, actually a battle that's not need. It's a battle out of greed if someone wanting to control more stuff. It's not like they've deemed wars on each other. So not only are you killing all those innocent people, this war didn't actually really have to happen, So it's like a double negative for Odysseus. But then he gave them the the I don't know, the winning play with the horse.
Speaker 2: So beautiful craftsmanship.
Speaker 1: It's good, like a horse, almost too good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put it.
Speaker 1: It's like smooth, it's like three D printed. It's like, you guys have some really great people working down there. But it's fine.
Speaker 4: I mean the ship's looking great too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the wood the carpenters are unbelievable in this society.
Speaker 2: Absolutely how long ago that was, Uh didn't talk about my boy all cast pretty much, but fuck boys. Tom Holland, for me, he is my standout in this I I particular, I think there's like three scenes that will really shout out. I thought all of his scenes were really good at first. He just comes across of like, you know, the youthful like Odysseus's son. He's just he just wants to know what happened to his dad. He he he comes from a place of privilege, but like very powerless in this dynamic. What a terrible situation too. You just have your mom over there, who's like not even really talking to you, and you just have these fucking gross suitors trying to just just just sww your mom over and get basically sitting in your dad's position. Like it's just such a I think I feel like painful position. But like I was surprised with like how intelligent like of a character he actually is, Like like the scenes when he's when he's talking, like strategy of like what he wants to do when he's talking, Like especially with John Bernhal, like the mental la of scenes. I really like all that back and forth at the end when he comes back and he's seeing Odysseus, he I guess doesn't really know that he is Odysseus at this point in time. I'm sure he has some suspicions, but still he's like talking about this plan to Penelope and like like I feel like I would have expected him to be very giddy of this, like, yeah, this guy knows Odysseus and like really break the news to her that like he has a lot but like he he's totally keeping it composed. And Hathaway is killing it in that scene too. She's showing a lot of emotion, and I feel like he's showing just a lot of like control, like like he's controlling his emotions in here. He's very uh, I don't know if confident in the plan, but like he he's going with the plan and this is what we have to like the belief there. And like when he shows up to like the Ithaca capital capital like the palace, and he and he does what Odyssey has told him to do. He's walking there like a princey of gifts, Like he's well dressed, like he just has this charisma when he enters the room, and it seems like a guy that really went through a specific uh change, I think from the time that he left because he is just kind of defeated. I think, like, like when he does leave Ithica, he's fleeing Ithaca right at that time, Uh, he knows that that the suitors are after him. They could kill him at any point. Penelope mentions that to him, But yeah, I don't know. It was also just a different performance than what I've seen in the past. Like I said, I love him as my Peter Parker, I love him as Spider Man, but this was just Okay. I definitely want to see Tom Holland more in uh in in in more movies and projects, and keep with Nolan, like I obviously obviously it worked with this pairing here. I'm sure Nolan can make you know, even even the actor that played the Hunter really really shine on screen. But uh yeah, I thought Tom All was a big stand for me because I think also I just had low expectations for whatever reasons. But yeah, hope you guys, I yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was. Uh.
Speaker 4: I feel like it seems like all you guys are pretty hot on him. I feel like I'm more neutral him actually, not that I think he's bad or anym but I think I was just I went into this expecting him to be the star of this, I think, And so maybe I was surprised that well he like pales and screen time compared to Matt Damon and really doesn't feel like the star in a lot of ways. But I feel like for me, the I was standing performances were elsewhere. Like I'm curious, what was like the scene or two that stuck out the most for you in terms of like just his performance. But I feel like I was much more blown away by Anne Hathaway, who I don't think I've really seen anything recently, so maybe that's part of it too, but she just freaking brought it. Pattison. I fucking love Pattison in this movie. He is just so good at playing this skivy kind of character. And yeah, so many other like smaller performances that really kind of stood out to me, like even Hamish Mattel I think really surprised me and did a really great job here. But yeah, I don't know, I think Tom All for me, he was like he's obviously a great actor, he did a good job here, but wasn't really a standout, Like I don't even know if I would fight for this guy in gold Geeks controversially, So see I mean I'll probably do on the outs of that sounds like he'll get his votes, but I'm just saying like I don't know, but I yeah, like what was was there like one scene in particular that he think he really just freaking brought it.
Speaker 2: The Penelope scene for sure, when he's inspired to talking to menelais at the at the table and he's just like telling him it was a trailer scene. So I had seen it before, but still like seeing it on the big screen. Burnhal just doing his Burnhal things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess for me, and both those scenes, like the person he's opposite, I'm much more pulled in by, I guess.
Speaker 2: And then the other one that this is when the water works coming out for me, this this poor fucking dog that just wants to see Odyssy has come back and he's just just sentenced to die on this pile of shit. And like I'm already sensitive when dogs are like you know, showing in movies.
Speaker 3: Like though, but he's just throwing off the fucking cliff.
Speaker 2: Hey that's the way, I guess, right, But yeah, like like when he comes back there and obviously I'm like almost getting choked up by this guy seeing his dog finally the dog reaction. It was just I'm getting choked I thinking about now, but specifically like Telemachus, like Tom Holland's character, like he is realizing right now that this guy is Odysseus actually, and like he's showing that emotion. He doesn't really say anything in that scene, but I think it was just like the way that he reacted.
Speaker 1: You're him and he says that or something.
Speaker 2: But I think I was just so like emotionally comprosed by that point and just knowing that this is literally like the end of Odyssy as well. I guess it's not the end, but this is like he made it back to Ithaca. He's finally about to go into the throne room. They're doing this big trial to win Penelope's favorite. Of course he's gonna be in there. Like it's just like many factors. I think that was boosting that scene overall. But Tom Holland definitely was a positive force for me in that scene.
Speaker 4: I mean, he for sure brings it for me. It's the little the last little whimper from that dog. Oh amazing, no acting dog acting wherever that sound effect came from that like fa like final breath just that, but that excitement that you can hear when it when a dog is.
Speaker 2: Just like just popping off. My god. Yeah that that sent me as well.
Speaker 4: Ahead the waterworks are going on for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's bruttal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I thought I thought tall, I think what I like. But Hollanies just did a good job at the He was stoic but had a not him being believable as his character, but he had an optimism about him. But it wasn't like a in your face sort of like, oh, my dad's gonna be coming back. Like it was just like when he's tall on the boat, he's like, I'm sure I can feel my bones, I can feel in the sea like he's out there. I think he was just a really good anchor. I did like that scene too, when when Damon's pretend to be the beggar and he's by Robert Passon and he's kind of getting beat up. The anger you can seeing Tom Holme well enough, Yeah, I like, oh, they're gonna, they're gonna And honestly, he didn't know what his dad can actually do, right, but so my dad's all grizzled and now he's like beating them up and everything. So yeah, Hathaway was great. I think we kind of knew because I feel like they showed most of our best scenes in the trips or like snippets of it. But she can always deliver when you put in this. Her speeches were great with Tom. But yeah, the Passing Man. He just such a good slime ball, Like if you make a list of top ten slime ball performances, this is there that whole Like, first of all, just the origin of the character, right, That's the only time I really laughed in the movie. Was just like, oh, you know, some of us wanted to go fighting Troy, but we were told to stay back, and he dropped that out four times in this way. I just like, any chance he yets, he's gonna lie and say like he was chosen for the battle, he volunteered to go, but I just said, no, you're not going. But that's my I think my favorite scene of his was the scene where he meets specifically with Anne Hathaway alone in her quarters, and just the way he's like he's still slimy, but then the way he's trying to get appeased tour of like, oh, well, you've had this bird for so long and you know what does it feel to like could you love once and love with someone else? Like, Oh, of course you've done your duty. I actually admire you for how much you love a diseas Like he's saying everything right until the kid. That's why I love his face acting when she goes, oh, what about your son, like, oh, of course he'd you know, he'd take the throne unless we had a kid, and she looks away and Passing just is like this little like flinch in his face, like, oh, I fucked up, Like I said the wrong thing. It's like in a game. It's like if you're playing La Noir and you just said the wrong thing. That's what he did. Oh And then she's dejected. So he was. He was fun all. He's probably my number one in this movie. He was so like, like in a good way, anti charismatic if you just want to fucking punch. I kind of wish his death was worse. And that scene when Damon's like, oh I got something for you, and he's like the title I said, He's like laughing everything, like what would you have for me? And he just throws like whatever that thing is that he's giving them, just that scene where he's getting worked up and like, you know, like this is not funny, like you can't walk away from me, all that stuff. So yeah, Pasan was Miami, but he's he is one of the best actors today and I just fucked man, that's our Batman.
Speaker 4: And yeah, even when when when they're doing the test and halland Hallanden hands him the bow and then he immediately is like, doesn't even try at all, but he's just trying to you know, slim his way through it and like convince like talk his way out of it, uh, in a sweet talking way. Like God, he's just so he's he is a really smart, cunning guy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's a new time.
Speaker 4: I was like, what what is it like second layer, second gear that he's about to go in here? It feels like he's always like a step or two ahead in a way that Yeah, I was totally drawn to him. And I love his look in this movie too. I mean he always just is a cool looking guy with that fucking jawline is.
Speaker 2: Just crushing into this movie.
Speaker 4: The way the way Nolan got awards his jawline insane.
Speaker 2: What a wonderfully looking person on screen.
Speaker 1: I hope those Adaya Kajema physiant rumors are true, and he's the he's the snake and the game I'd love to be playing with the like what we can do with norm ritas and desk strying and we can do the pass and that'd be great. But to mention that bo I forgot when he goes like, okay, you've made your point. None of us could be a distance and then he starts to do his whole speech. But but that's the point because we got a step up like he but he does it in such a way where he is like he seems like it is like we know he's bullshiting, right, but he portrays like yeah, we get it, like none of us could be him, and he's like trying to like go for the heart strings and even halfways she's not like buying it, but she's like hearing him out, Like you can see how far this character's gone. Because at the end that you mentioned is the joke deal. But still, why is everyone listening to him. He's just like a suitor like the rest of him. He's not like a king or anything. But they're listening to me, like you do this, Like he's directing traffic, so you can see that he's used his cunning and his like sliminess to really get ahead in life and money too because he paid off that family, right. But still just like he's done this before where he's gone his way by just kind of appealing to someone's better nature even though he doesn't have it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's even like even like the scene when they're like beaten on the dog, like in the in the dining room area, right, and then he's like coming from like a more you know air quote, Uh, what's the word I'm looking for, Like a instead of killing the dog right there, he's like, oh, I'll just take him outside and he's oh, yeah, lay in the pile of shit and wait for Odysseus to come back. Like it's okay, he's doing like a nice thing. I get, like a merciful merciful I guess that's the word I was looking for. Like this guy was gonna murder the dog right there. I thought that was actually gonna happen, and I'm like, God, damn, why do we have to just murder this poor dog right in here in this scene? But yeah, like like he's still a piece of shit, but he didn't murder Odysseus's dog right there in front of the whole family. So I guess in some ways that's kind of a better, better way to go about it. I guess. Uh No, he's phenomenal in this. I really didn't know that he was like a villainous type role going into this, Like I just didn't really know much about his character. So I am happy that that was the case because it's it's fun to see this type of role, especially because I don't know, like Mickey seventeen, I guess he has aspects of being kind of a shitty guy like with the other Mickey that he's.
Speaker 1: This it's more very different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like a fun, sleazy villain role that he can like just his laughs, like when he's like, like you said, just laughing at the bagger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, like we don't know this, but we talked about this last week with the Dune trailer, like always playing a big villain, He's two big movies. I have a feeling that Dune Villain's gonna be nothing like this character right from the few things we've seen of I don't know his name is like Slithe or Slith or something like that, but like, yeah, slit, I'm slit. I want to rackus, but no, like, I just feel like.
Speaker 5: He he He's just such a versatile actor that sometimes that can be a trap, right of playing a villain not only in big franchis, but now twice in one year.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they're gonna be completely nothing alike and.
Speaker 4: Even like I haven't seen ten in a while, but just like the comparison of oh yeah, what he can what Nolan can make this guy do is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like he's gotta I feel like he's gonna happen. Someone's gonna like uh or not someone. I feel like, one of these times, he's gonna give him the lead in these movies. I think he has like earn it, Like Kel Murphy and Matt Damon, they had to be in a few Nolan movies before they got the lead. But I guarantee you one day there's gonna be a no Olan movie where passes the lead. And I can't wait for that day.
Speaker 2: You know, so quite quite a streak right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, let's take probably from Outbreak and then we'll be right back. We are back. What else anything else to shout out before we end this off and found thoughts and ratings.
Speaker 4: I guess just quick we mentioned them a little bit. But Zenda and Charlie's Throne, like you know, the just always so good like Zend like goddamn what her eyes like she just conduced magical things with her eyes and movies which I always like to bring up in these reviews. But you know, it doesn't have a huge part in this movie, but is still able to like pull so much emotion out of that. I think it really highlights too. It kind of like breaks down a wall and Odysseus that I think is quite engaging. And yeah, all the stuff with calypso like those sequences I feel like could drag or like those are like the low points of between like these huge, big action epic set pieces, but I instead thinking, like those sequences are really great and they just break up the pacing in a nice way. And yeah, kind of going along with him, Like I think the storytelling is so interesting in this movie of like Tom Hollands going on his journey to find out what's happening, and he's like talking to Bernhal and then Burnhal's like referencing this thing of like Matt Damon and Matt. Damon's like having a conversation with Calypso, who then's like is pulling a memory out of him, and then we like go into that sequence. Like it's just kind of if you really charted out in the way we get to different sequences, it's pretty wild stuff. And again, it's like Nolan is such a master of just taking a movie and filming it one way and then like chopping it and editing it in such a way that totally changes the context and the pacing of it. And there isn't a slow moment, and so I think the Calypso scenes in particular are just so expertly placed in this movie that yeah, just a big shout out to her, And like those sequences in general, and.
Speaker 2: Just like the visuals.
Speaker 4: I love just the look of that more desert island area I think is really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, like you said, there's no more I can actus just Nolan doing great thing. But it's when it introduced, Okay, we're gonna begin flashbacks of the Battle Troy. We got Tom Holland and Hathaway in our present day, and then we got Odysseus somewhere with Charlie's there on. They established in that first act, Okay, we're gonna be bounced around a lot, and it never feels like that. It feels like it's all the through line, and that the book is like that too. The book is always going in and out of the different time periods. But in this movie, you go, Okay, he's got a lot of juggle here, and then just nah, it's effortless. It's like he's on autopilot. Yeah, I've done this so many times before, so yeah, yeah, have and some more. That was me a goth as Penelope's assistant, and I kind of forgot that she had that role of the turner to like work with pass and that I did get what happened was like classic a goth. Yeah, because up at that point I'm like, hey, listen, I get it. Everyone wants to be in an old movie, right, But I'm like, this is almost like egregious. This is like you couldn't give her anything else going on here? Uh. And then it's like, okay, she's a little like not know, it's like an aptize, but just some scene like great payoff of like no, queen, you need to be up there. And then later on the battles. I'm like, your place is down here, and they closed the door, and I guess I should shout him out to you. I completely forgot is this sequence of passing tux Dan hathaway. He runs and me a Gothas against a wall, and then they kiss, they have they walk away, and then they walk forward, and then John leg was almost also behind a wall listening to It's like that that meme of just like multiple people of the gun pointed at each other's back. It's like three layers of someone listening behind it. And I guess I should shut that out too, if I had a fourth in the Mount Rushmore. John Wick was almost was amazing in this fucking movie. And again not like too much screen time, but just so good. And I guess for my last point too, I guess we didn't really talk about too much, but I think we just kind of danced around it. Whatever you feel the action, who knows. But I loved the final fight scene just so intense, and again I can find all believable because yeah, they're suitors. They might have like fought here and there, but they're not like Odysseus who's been through the ship and he's just like built like a brick shit house, and that whole sequence of him doing the bow and everyone laughing, and then he hits the board and n Hathaway just like cox her hear a little bit and he hits the board again. She fully turns. But then they go to attack and they close everything and they moved the weapons up and they're running out of Tom holland he's getting his ass kicked. The battle's over, and John le Go was like, did he win?
Speaker 2: Did he?
Speaker 1: I what happened?
Speaker 4: But that whole people slowly bending the knee, Yes, that is fucking so cool.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. Yeah, it it had the it had the juice there.
Speaker 3: So for me is when he just does that string strung noise with his bow and then everyone just kind of like shot themselves a bit. And then I don't know what the character's name was in here, but he was like Robert's best buddy or whatever. It was stirring the pot and when everyone like it was silent and everyone was like oh, and then the guy's like, oh, you're it doesn't even finish the sentence in the air goes right into his neck and that's when people cheered in my theater, people were so stoked the.
Speaker 4: Way Disseuse makes a bow and arrow feel like a fucking cannon in the yes, it just the power of that bow is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And he's hit firing the fucking thing in the room and he's getting headshots like goddamn.
Speaker 1: Like I said, they established in the movie, he's like he's on a that's his kill streak right when he gets that bow. And that's why I love that line when tom One's like, oh, you have no weapons and she's like, oh no, your mother, like she gave me the weapon by just doing it. Say it's gonna be the bow challenge, right, So he's like, oh, I got these mother efforts.
Speaker 4: Like he likes that thing more than his son, you know, like when he was reunited with the bow, he was a happy man.
Speaker 1: And he's not like, yeah, think it was he's not spending that much time in the sun because he's an exile. What is he handled with something like a week or two and then he's gone so like he never.
Speaker 2: I mean sometimes the time, it's.
Speaker 4: Hard to tell how long a sequence was, Like how long were they on the sun God Island?
Speaker 2: Was that? Was that a couple of days or was it like months?
Speaker 1: Like I think I think weeks to months. I'm gonna say weeks. But but but I just make when they say bye and he's gonna be exiled because he kill those people, I imagine that would act kind of fast, right, So yeah, Tom Hohlone really never knows his dad that much in this He's he's gone, so he knows about him. You know, he's I'm sure go back over there for lunch.
Speaker 3: He just when when he first appears to to helped out Tom Hall, like at the Temple of Athena where it was all stage to get his his murder underway. But like every time you see Matt Damon and he's got like the long beard, but he's got the hood at his full inside the hood is all just you can't see his face. That's shadow. Every time that was that was just a sequence. It's just he looks so ominous and badass, like when he's like stoken Robert a little bit when he puts like I have something for you, puts the little tooden tote him in his hand and starts freaking out and he's like, yeah, it's just he's just eggsham on so good.
Speaker 1: When I'm fifty or six, I'm gonna do that at that Halloween cautume. But yeah, there is that one shot of all the suitors when they're trying, and it's just a shot of Matt Dame and the backgrounds in there, and like he looks like death because you can't see his face all it's complete shadow. And uh, yeah that was great. And yeah, anything else I I guess to say when anything else to say, because like, I like, we could go around the horn, but I think, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be a perfect forty right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's what I mean. If I've ever seen like I feel like at this point of review, no listeners like I wonder what they're given this this movie. You know, I think I'm pretty confident Kirtlin's thinking he's looking at the star, he's looking at the literal.
Speaker 2: Some things that kind of buged me. But I think it would just be like pacing things. Like I said, there's a couple of scenes that just seem like we just really went through them fast. But like that's not really a gripe. It's yeah, a big book to cover, right, how we fit a Massive Adventure into three hours, like yeah, okay, yeah, they definitely succeeded in many in that sense.
Speaker 1: And even then, technically the movie is under three hours because of the way they for dylanan Peel. It's on Imax. I guess Imax like the way it's played, it can't play over three hours. So there is stuff that they cut. No one said like you have to cut anything. It's like absolutely doesn't work, but like we have to find a way to you know, it doesn't want to cut anything. But yeah, they had to make sure it was under three because you can't play no Imax movie longer than that. So there is other stuff.
Speaker 4: They haven't figured that out.
Speaker 1: I think it's for a while, like it don't get me wrong, then I'm probably misquoting, but I think for a while that was kind of like the idea of like on film and if you ever see those things when no one puts out a movie and it's like this big reel that they got to change over and stuff, I mean that was kind of dying. But I think like seventy millimeter is like kind of coming back for prestige viewing and everything. But I think for a while, theaters like it's just gonna go digital and we gotta worry about that. We don't got to fix that. Like even then too, they had like for the longest time, they could not shoot a whole movie in Imax some of these cameras that use on Odyssey. Tom tom Holmes told the story where he thought Nolan didn't like his acting because they're only doing takes in three minutes. He's okay, and he stopped right there. But the camera can only roll for three minutes. They got to cut and then switch over and then go again. It's fucking crazy. So this is the.
Speaker 2: First movie expensive also.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's why this movie costs two hundred and fifty million dollars. The actors aren't getting paid huge amounts. And this is the first movie shot completely in Imax. That's why no one want to do this so many times, like with The Dark Knight and that meant but when you shoot an Imax the camera it's super loud, so you can't back Then you couldn't shoot dialogue scenes because it was so load. Now they create a new Imax thing. So that's why I think for a while they're like, oh, this is the peak, and then I think there's more filmmaker on tours like him or cooler Denie or like we kind of want to like shoot this whole thing in imax and figure it out. So it's expensive, but once you become top shit, you can do it.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kirkle On, you're breaking the forty.
Speaker 2: No, it's not gonna be a forty.
Speaker 1: You know, the highs elevate the potential small lows and everything, but they're pretty damn shallow lows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're very very minor lows if anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So well there you go. Everyone's going ten, right, Taylor, you're not injecting over there's got a little looking.
Speaker 3: Tailor Yeah, I'm in that horse with you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know what to do. Not a time for GV Day, but for actually if something got to find a way to get a horse and put us off.
Speaker 2: We're doing twenty four hour stream but in the horse Boys.
Speaker 1: Some segment or something. No, it's not like some joke or some sket or even even if that's the shirt, I don't know somehow, like I don't know how we're gonna get there, but it'll be.
Speaker 2: At the bottle of the horse like Willem Dafoe looking up.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, everybody. That is our view of Christopher Nolans The Odyssey. I'm sure this is not the last, and we'll talk about I'm sure with the patrons we're gonna talk about I'm sure we're gonna be all you cause again that's one thing too. Getting out of theater and my theater is so rare was packed with all ages, you know, people that were in their eighties to like get like probably ten year olds and stuff run around, right, it was so nice when that theater left. It just seemed like everybody was super hyped. And I've had people in our real life talk about even how many people at work it's like, oh, like you're seeing the honysty like it's it's having that kind of like transcending vibe. So again, we're gonna talk about it on an After nine in the future, we're gonna talk about for sure for Golden Geeks. So we're not done talking about the Odyssey. But for now, this is the review. Thank you very much for you listening live or after the fact. I promise when you hear from us next it will not be boring.