Speaker 1: Kd E Houston, ADHD two Houston, an iHeart radio station, The Astros, the Rockets, Rockets Basketball, your home for your home teams.
Speaker 2: This is Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Salisbury, Oldbury, Salisbury, Houston.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sewan Salisbury to usc true longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Ryan Lima, go Lobos.
Speaker 3: This is the Sewn Salsbury Show.
Speaker 1: Seven o'clock tip off, six o'clock launch bad right here on seven one of your home for Rockets basketball. It's the final day for negotiation before arbitration for Major League Baseball teams. Of course, the Astros got a couple of guys that they need to get negotiated before that arbitration hits. Texans Chargers. This Saturday, got the COLLG football playoff semifinals. Tonight it's the Orange Bowl, Penn State Notre Dame seven one, three, two two five seven nineties in neber to join Talking Texans Quick Fixes for the Offense Starctor Miles, Miles, good morning, more than how's it going, gents, We're good, buddy. What's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Well? This is my first time calling in, but I'm also a season ticket member, and I'm so I'm when I'm watching the games. There's honestly some simple things that can be done. One of them, which is a predictability uh on on play call in and if I'm sitting out in the bleachers, I know this play is coming because you know certain people in positions. You know. If I know it, I know that the other teams know it. So for a case in point is whenever number thirty three, I think it's a goomble when he comes in, it's gonna be passed. If they take mixing out and a goomble while come in, it's a pass. Yeah. I mean it's almost every single time the offensive line wise, they're getting trucked over. I mean when when you see him, they some of them don't even know who they're supposed to blocking. So my fix would be one, if we're struggling already on the offensive line, which we have been, and folks on all the block all right, if they're doing great in practice, okay, great, but then the time for game day they're falling short, well, then you might want to go ahead and have them guys a little bit of a short lease and kind of rotate some folks out, put a little pressure on them. Maybe you might find something, I would say, trying to help on a double team, but they keep listening double team as well. There's just a lot of small items attention to detail wise they're not doing. I mean, can you can tell the players they're called. You got to stop calling all these plays whether the wire receivers catch the ball behind the line of scrimmage, because they keep getting stopped unless we have Tankdale. And even when tank Dale did it, we would still get stopped sometimes. But he could. You know, he had enough quickness and Chillian speed to get around. But we keep throwing it behind the line of scrimmage and he can't do anything. And see to the point now where you know he didn't You can tell he didn't trust off the line because he's starting to get footsteps some dark He trying to get rid of that ball as quickly as possible because he didn't trust that this the guys in front block them. My opinion, of course.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Miles, you're right there. From a season ticket holder.
Speaker 3: Watch you can tell he watches a lot of football and yep, now all those things. At times you do need to throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage because you dial it up to work and help the screen game works at times, you do have to push the ball down the field and and tendencies are a problem. And I don't know, say to me, mixing is a three down back, and I would he'd be he first adjustment I make. I'd try to create mismatches. He'd be heavy in the past game this week, he just would. I said it on earlier in the week. I fully would expect it. But I get where Miles is coming from. I wish the fix was that easy. But I mean you roll through it and you think, okay, this, this, this and this, But you can't just drop back five and a hitch and throw dig routes, go routes, comebacks. There's going to have to be you know, you've got to mix in the slant game where Nico Collins is a big winner on that. You got to just do it and put players in position. But can't. You can't get rid of everything and just be a one dimensional team. But Miles is right, tendanci has become a problem. And if tendency shoved now, I don't know what the statistic is that when a Goomblewalle's in the game and he that they're throwing. I'd be interested to see where that percentage is not necessarily to him, But are you dropping back every time he's in the game, then then those tendencies are probably gonna have to change. I'm sure there's a number in their metrics that's say so. I don't have that number.
Speaker 1: I don't either, I don't even know where to find that. But I have noticed on a lot of third downs, especially third downs like eights and nines, a goomble Walle does come in the game regularly. That's predictability.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when he comes in, whether it's you liked him, the versatility of him more. But Joe Mixon is very good coming out of back right, So if it's a chance, if he needs a break, if he's so, whatever it is. But tendencies have to be broken, and you have to have the guts to break tendencies under pressure circumstance is which we always lean on a crutch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Bobby Slowe, the offensive coordator for the Texans, talked about the challenges that the Chargers defense will present to their offense. This is the offensive coordinator on the Chargers defense talks.
Speaker 4: About how this tree, you know, you could kind of see I call it the Baltimore Tree, but people that have been in Baltimore recently and kind of where that comes from. That style where there's a lot of split safety hold and they usually try to disguise it make it really hard for the quarterback, and when they do show middlefield close usually it winds up be in some form of split safety post snap, and they do a really good job making it where you can't get a beat on what they're doing before the ball snapped, and then they mix that in with pressure and a lot of offsets. I will say, like, I think this defense is a little different than some of the other teams from that tree are, but I mean they do a really good job keeping things in front of them and making sure that they don't give up explosives. So you know, that's what we think one of our strengths are and one of their strengths is not and that happen, and our job is to find a way to still be able to get those while staying on track, because I mean, I think I want to say that I could be wrong. I think their second I know their top five in at least explosives given out, and like that's that's one of the good things they knew.
Speaker 2: Similar.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me that's Bobby Slow talking about pre snap and disguising, and in the NFL they disguise a lot. In high school you get coverage, it's usually the coverage you see pre snap college at times NFL. And Jesse Mentor has been with the Baltimore and been with Harba on in the past, and he's, uh, if you remember, his dad was a head coaching evers Cincinnati. Dad's been a defensive coordinator. So he comes from Football Tree and at Baltimore Tree, there's no doubt there's aggressive and what he's saying when he talks about split safety. So when you hear that, we just kind of go through it, just an explanation of what he's talking about. As a quarterback, when you come out, the first thing do you locate when you break that huddle? Find the locate to sayfeties, they're gonna tell you, not the corners. You'll scan left or right if that's what you do defense, but you check out how the front is, boom, find locate safety. So safeties are gonna tell me where rotation is. If they rotate an extra guy down right, why wouldn't I want to throw left right. I'm talking about so people understand the basics of how you approach it from a quarterback standpoint. So when you line up and they're two high safeties, split safeties, two high safeties, that's roll corners. What that coverage does, whether it's two man two zone where two zone at the top, the five underneath, the running in two man or two zone, or you end up dropping the corners black and put back and playing quarters. They show two and they drop back and they got quarter quarter quarter quarter, and then it's you can work the outside lanes and underneath, but the disguise and when you go from too high to single middle of the field close there's a safety even between the hash marks. You don't want to run stuff in between the hash marks, at least at him. You want to run seams, the all verts where you put him in a conflict bine seams. You want to you know you can get posts. You can do you're running posts, dig you're trying to put him in a bund do I jump into it. But when you disguise what cover two enrolled corners and split safeties do, it allows you to get help over the top and prevent the home run they're taking. They're they're begging you to say, I'm gonna play It's what Monte Kiffin. It's some similarities to it, but Cover two is what Monte Kiffin's Tampa defense did. Everything keep in front of you, tackle and let's go play football. And they just they're not going to give you the home run. Now when they go single high safety. And what he said, Now, this is hard to do as a quarterback. You come up and they say middle of the field is closed, single high safety, which means another safety is down near the box or hovering in this hook curl flat range. And then all of a sudden, they're running a guy to split safeties from a single high safety. Look once in the way you see a single high safety with a strong safety, you know, ten yards off the line of scrimmage, eight yards removed to the to the width. You're thinking, they're not getting it too high with this, and at the snap of the ball, they're sprinting to two high, inverted too high and go. Or they'll run the safety to the corner and take the corner and run him back to the half field. So they're inverting and switching on you. And if they go from two to single high, single high to two, that's hard to do for a quarterback. Ball snap boom, oh, single high safety, you're going to your single high reads and you're running a bender. You don't want to throw a bender into a single high safety. You want to throw a bender in a middlefield open split safeties say do a great job in their safeties. As we know, Hamilton's as good as there is in all of football. So the disguise on a young quarterback, because you're so concerned about it, can take you up out of a lot of stuff. That's why we go pre snap, post snap reads. That's why your eyes have to before and if you're in the gun, you're taking your eyes off coverage to catch the ball. All those things having to play. But you have to a lot of guys get so comfortable read pre snap once the ball snap down playing, But what if they rotate single high end might read completely changes from middlefield closed and middlefield open completely changes. I can't throw a f route in a corner roll situation or it's an interception for a touchdown. I can't throw a bender or a middle of the field closed and a guy sitting right in the middle of the field. You've seen it, guys said, would you see? So you have to have posts. Now they test your patience. And then when you get tired of throwing the stuff underneath because they test you and testing and testing, then you know what you do. You take a shot and you throw it to a too high safety and he's sent it over the top for a pick. Or just when you think it's zone, they'll bring somebody. Talking about the Baltimore look, they'll bring somebody and the Chargers do the same thing that Baltimore look when Hamilton and that's where Mentor is from Michigan and Baltimore brought it. Now you've got to Derwin James, who just like Hamilton active the skies. They will in and Mentor is gonna and it's a little different, like he said, but they're gonna do a lot of different things because you have the versatility of a great safety that can play linebacker, that can cover, and he's big enough to tackle you and can cover in space. So they will run. You saw I showed you the video the other day. James back back and then boom comes off. They cover up the slot and he comes on a kind of an A B gap blitz from wide comes and sacks quarterback. Matter of fact, force to turnover and took it to the house. So the point is that this thing, and the reason I'm using Hamilton is the Derwin. There's a lot of similarities ones younger ones, but both active and so they can create a lot of pre snap post snap problems. And the Chargers are doing well and jesse mentor young and aggressive, but they're smart. They're not going to lend. The Chargers are at the top of the league in lack of explosives, and Baltimore will be too. They just don't give them up. And that's who you're going to face. You saw it with Baltimore here the other couple weeks ago. You're going to see it Charges and the Chargers. Then the problem is the reason they can do that they trust that they're four guys can get pressure without without blitzing. And when then just when you think they're rushing four, they bring a fifth and you got nobody for it.
Speaker 1: That's going to be the big thing is hou is the offensive only gonna pick up those blitz packages.
Speaker 3: So exactly right, Well, that's when he said, and he says millfield close and too high split safeties. That's open and closed, and every quarterback should start with that as the midfield open and close. That tells me where I'm starting with my read. Simple. So when you're at home and you see two split safeties, keep your eye on the pre snap post snap on your TV screen. If they show you a replay, and you'll whoa that disguise. That completely changed the quarterbacks read.
Speaker 1: Now, let's get to the stakeout next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety