Speaker 1: Hey, says dad, Mom.
Speaker 2: Come on your story.
Speaker 3: Hours on presenting your story, hour building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 5: Everyone, This is Aunt Carrol and I'm Uncle Dan. We're so glad that you've joined us today for another of our exciting stories.
Speaker 3: And I'm guessing that you have one all planned for us, right, Aunt Carroll?
Speaker 5: Well, yes, Uncle Dan, I do, now that you mention it.
Speaker 3: I thought, so, Now let me see what could your story be about today?
Speaker 5: Oh so you're going to try and guess?
Speaker 6: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 3: I know you like all kinds of stories, so this is probably going to be tough.
Speaker 5: Shall I give you a hint?
Speaker 3: Well, just a little hint might help.
Speaker 5: And once I give you this hint, you'll hop right onto it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, I hope. So what's your hint?
Speaker 5: I just gave it to you.
Speaker 3: You did, I didn't hear a hint, Oh.
Speaker 5: But I did, And I'm sure there are some boys and girls listening in that caught it too.
Speaker 3: Well. Let's see, you said you'd give me a right, and then you said what was it that I'd hop right onto it or something like that?
Speaker 5: Right again?
Speaker 3: And then you said you'd given me the hint.
Speaker 5: You're getting warmer Uncle Dan.
Speaker 3: Hop onto it? Hmmm, that must be the hint. Hop hop onto it? What hops?
Speaker 6: Oh? I have it?
Speaker 3: This is a story about a kangaroo. Oh no, a rabbit.
Speaker 5: Wrong again?
Speaker 3: Hop?
Speaker 6: What else? Hops?
Speaker 5: And it can also fly?
Speaker 3: It hops and flies? Well, then there's only one thing I can think of. A grasshopper.
Speaker 5: You know something, Uncle Dan.
Speaker 6: You are just too.
Speaker 3: Smart, really, so your stories about grasshoppers.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is, in fact, I call it grasshoppers do. Our story today is a tribute to the many thousands of pioneers who forged their way across the vast territories of America and survived in the face of numerous perils and dangers. Even those who followed the first wave of set struggled through hardships almost unimaginable. Today, as our story begins, we join the Calkins family, Mama, Papa, ten year old Lois and little brothers Joshua and Tom. The place the southwestern corner of Minnesota. The time August of eighteen seventy four.
Speaker 6: H Yeah, I've brought you some water, Lois. I know ohen is a hard job.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Papa. I'm pretty worn out already and it's still morning.
Speaker 6: A good thing. Your mama and me can count on you, Peanut. Oh, Papa, Oh no, no, no, I mean it. Sometimes I don't know what possess an old man like me to think that I could keep on Piman forever. Good thing. Your mama's younger, but she's busy with the boys, and they're too young to do much of anything except mess up the house.
Speaker 1: I know, Papa, don't worry.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: We're depending on our garden for food this winter, and I'll do my best.
Speaker 6: Huh. Looks like these potatoes will be ready before long. But we we do need rain real bad. Been a hot, dry summer, Peanut. So we're lucky to have as good a garden as we do.
Speaker 1: We'll have a full root cellar again, won't we, Papa.
Speaker 6: You betcha God willing that we will. Well, I'm going back up to the barn and hitch Bessie up to the wagon. I've got to go into town for supplies, So you come on up to the house at noon to eat. I shall be back by then.
Speaker 4: Okay, Papa, there you are, lois warm bread right from the oven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my favorite. Where's Papa? Hasn't he come home yet?
Speaker 4: No, but I expect him any minutes.
Speaker 1: I see Papa through the window. He's coming.
Speaker 4: Well, well, Joshua, you know, I guess you're right at that come and licking a split too. I wonder if something is wrong. Oh what is it? John? You look so.
Speaker 6: Trouble that I am Clara. The talk is all over town. Righters from the west have brought news of a place.
Speaker 4: Oh, John, what is it? Cholera? Diphtheria?
Speaker 6: Grasshoppers?
Speaker 1: What? Grasshoppers?
Speaker 6: Yep? Huge clouds of them, millions and millions of them. They're eating everything inside, no right to the ground. There's not a blade of grass left. Their gardens are gone, their fields are destroyed.
Speaker 1: What will they do, Papa?
Speaker 6: There's nothing they can do.
Speaker 4: Oh my hah, it's all right, baby.
Speaker 6: But that's not the worst of it. I'm afraid the hoppers are heading east.
Speaker 1: They're coming here.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's hard to tell what will happen when they swarm again, just where they'll fly to.
Speaker 4: But they might come here, right, yes, yes.
Speaker 6: They might.
Speaker 1: Will they eat going up? Papa?
Speaker 6: I hope not.
Speaker 1: Is there anything we can do?
Speaker 6: Well? We can try to get some of our things to the root cellar.
Speaker 4: But almost nothing is ripe yet.
Speaker 6: I know. We'll just have to do the best we can. Beyond that, all we can do is pray.
Speaker 5: Later that evening, before bedtime.
Speaker 6: And so, dear Father, we asked you to protect our farm. We haven't been Christians very long, but we believe that you love us and will protect us. Please keep the grasshoppers away, we pray in Jesus name. I'm in.
Speaker 5: A few days later.
Speaker 6: Well, Peanut, we picked and stored everything we can, and at least.
Speaker 1: We've already eaten some food from the garden, some tomatoes and beans.
Speaker 6: Yes, plus we have a little money saved up.
Speaker 1: Papa, what's that?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: Look up at the sky. It looks like snow. It's snowing.
Speaker 6: Watch in the world.
Speaker 1: Look it is snow in August. Great big snowflakes in the air.
Speaker 6: Oh, oh no, Peanut, it's not snow. It's the grasshoppers. They're here.
Speaker 1: Oh no, look, Papa, that big cloud. It goes as far as I can see in both directions. Oh. Look, one just landed on me.
Speaker 6: Listen to them cubs. What a wreckage. Quick. Let's get to the house.
Speaker 5: The next morning.
Speaker 4: Look at them, John, They're covering everything, the trees, fences, the barn, the ground. They're even in the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ain't my bed. I know. I had to shake them out of my covers twice last night.
Speaker 6: There's no way to stop them.
Speaker 1: How come Jesus didn't answer our prayers, Papa?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but I do know that he cares about us, and somehow he'll take care of us.
Speaker 4: We'll just have to have faith.
Speaker 5: Later that day, Papa made a trip into town, where he chanced to meet some of his friends, fellow farmers from the surrounding countryside.
Speaker 7: So, John, what's it like at your place?
Speaker 6: Same thing? Yeah, two or three inches stick in some places. Yeah, everywhere.
Speaker 8: I lost sixty acres of wheaten less than an hour.
Speaker 7: I couldn't believe it. I hear you, Andrew. They even ate through the flour sacks I put on top of my garden to protect it. Can you believe that they just ate the sacks their quiet?
Speaker 9: If you think that's bad jes wait until next spring.
Speaker 6: Oh what do you mean, Karl.
Speaker 9: Happened to seen them? The holes in the ground.
Speaker 6: I've seen them.
Speaker 8: Looks like somebody took an ale and just poked holes in the ground all over the place.
Speaker 6: Yep, those holes are here. To hoppers lay their eggs. I've seen them too. Yeah, hundreds of holes, thousands of hole, millions of holes.
Speaker 9: More like, the hoppers lay their eggs and seal the holes with some kind of sticky stuff that hottens up makes like a little roof over the eggs.
Speaker 7: So you're thinking about spring when the eggs hatch you bet?
Speaker 9: I am, And they all hatch out, what do you think they will be eating.
Speaker 7: Our gardens, our crops?
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 9: I don't see any hope for next year, No hope at all.
Speaker 7: Well, we might as well save our energy and money and not plant anything.
Speaker 8: Then, Well, this does it for me. I was just about ruined before, what with the dry summer we've had. I think we'll just have to pack up and go back to Ohio. I hate to give up, but I'm out of money and options.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I might just have to do that myself. Guess I'll wait and see what spring brings. But it can't be good.
Speaker 6: What about you, John, Well, I don't know. We prayed for God to protect our land. If I quit now and not even give him a chance to prove what he can do.
Speaker 8: Get real, John, The grasshoppers are here. They've laid their eggs. Now that's reality. Nothing you were God for that matter, can do about it.
Speaker 9: Sad but true, yap, sad but true. Al Right, I expect the boss hopper to show up any time now, and the man that I give him a spade to dig up my potato so that he and his friends can eat those two before they go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and are you gonna give it to them, Carl, that's a spade?
Speaker 9: I mean no, Sorry, I'll not on your life. Don't think you'll be getting that shovel from me.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Finally, after cutting a path of total destruction, the grasshoppers took flight and swarmed farther eastward. All that winter, however, whenever neighbor met neighbor, grasshoppers were the topic of discussion.
Speaker 4: Now, I'll take three yards of that calico, mister Larson. No, no, no, no, one on the left there that one?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, well all right, missus Calkins coming right up? You sure you want this fun with all the green leaves and flowers on it?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: Is there something wrong with that material?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: No, no, I guess not. It's just the well my cousin wrote to me. It got the letter A couple of days ago, her little girl was out in the yard when the grasshoppers hit them out in Kansas. Before you could say Jack krabbitt, those hoppers landed right on little Mary's dress and ate the green stripes right out of her dress. Yeh, left the white stripes and ate the green bob. No, yeah, the dress was in shreds before they could get it off the child.
Speaker 4: Well, in that case, give me three yards of that bowl there, the pink and white one. All right, might as well not tempt those credits with our crops and our clothes.
Speaker 6: Oh you bet you it's on eh. Well, cow, hello, I haven't seen you since Christmas?
Speaker 9: What about this weather supposed to beat tin Bilow tonight?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm pretty chilly, all right, but anything that keeps those hoppers napping and with me, Yeah.
Speaker 9: They don't much like the snow. It's going to be bad in the spring.
Speaker 6: Oh you're sticking around then.
Speaker 9: Yes, so might as well see what happens. I've caught a few our jobs this winter, so we've been able to buy what we need.
Speaker 6: How about you, Well, so far, so good, I'll say, I am wondering could I hire you to complow my garden? Come warm? Weather. I'm just not able to do it myself anymore, so i'd appreciate your help.
Speaker 9: Are you crazy you're putting in a garden pland on it? Well, sure, I guess. But when all those hoppers hats, they'll eat it as fast as it grows. You know that they don't have wings at first.
Speaker 6: I know they call them nymphs, right.
Speaker 9: So they can't even fly away to somewhere's else until they grow those wings. They're hungry little beast too. But we saw last summer wasn't the worst.
Speaker 6: I know. It's just well, we've been studying our Bible, praying a lot too, and we've asked God to see us through Listen to protect our garden. We've got to have that or will starve.
Speaker 9: Yes, some folks are very starving folks out each have been collecting money for food and seed to send out here for us in the spring.
Speaker 6: A good thing, and God bless them.
Speaker 9: I heard that the whole family mother, father, and four kids or died within a week of each other starve to death. And if I don't miss my guests, there'll be lots of tombstones with starve to death carved on the crosses.
Speaker 6: Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Carl, Let's hope and pray. Claire, my dear, you are amazing. You always do make something wonderful, even when our supplies are short.
Speaker 4: I just hope that we have enough flour and corn meal to see us through until spring.
Speaker 1: I hope our garden grows really fast and hoppos don't eat it all.
Speaker 6: Speaking of witch, I pound out today in town that these aren't really grasshoppers.
Speaker 4: Well, of course they are. Everybody knows.
Speaker 6: No, they're locusts now. Grasshoppers can fly, but they don't swarm together and fly off in a cloud like these did. Otherwise they're pretty much the same critter.
Speaker 1: Papa, did you read in the Bible that John the Baptist ate locusts? Oh?
Speaker 6: That I did, Peanut. Course, there are locust trees too that have bean pods on them, so I don't know whether he ate those beans or if he ate critters like these.
Speaker 1: I hope it was beans and not buff Well.
Speaker 6: Guess what turns out that the Indians ate these bugs, as you call them. They toasted them over a pireh and eat them eww, yuck, And they ground them up and put them in stew.
Speaker 4: Oh shod really, really, you're.
Speaker 6: Supposed to actually be good for you, except for the legs and wings, which I'm told don't digest.
Speaker 4: Very well, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: I hope we don't have to eat grasshopper stew.
Speaker 4: Let's pray again. Let's ask God to protect our garden.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's all right, Dear Jesus. We pray that when spring comes, you'll watch over our garden and protect it from being destroyed. You know, I'm old and I can't work a farm anymore. You know, we depend on our garden for food and for the income we get them selling our vegetables. So we ask you to put your hand over the ground that we plow and the siege we play.
Speaker 3: So what happens, Aunt Carroll? Does God honor Papa's prayer?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: You'll just have to wait a minute to find out, Uncle Dan. Oh, you see, I thought our listeners would like to hear about our adventures in the Holy Bible Club.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea, Aunt Carol. You see, kids, the adventures are so much fun that we know you'll enjoy joining the thousands of others who are already signed up for these free Bible stories. Oh, in the puzzles and the fun to do quizzes.
Speaker 5: And that's not even the best part. As you progress through the series, you'll also be collecting free audio stories on the life of Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's all free and it's all fun. So if you're at least nine years old and you'd like to join the Adventures Club, just go to our website at your story hour dot org, click on Adventures and get started.
Speaker 5: Write us at box eight Niles, Ni l e S. Michigan four nine one two zero.
Speaker 3: We'll give our contact information again at the end of the program. But now, aun't Carol, it's time to finish your story called Grasshopper stew.
Speaker 5: All winter long, the Caulkins family studied their Bible and prayed that God would spare their garden. Even though they were relatively new Christians, they took courage and the stories recorded in scripture.
Speaker 1: Wow, so God saved Daniel from the hungry lions.
Speaker 6: That's right, my girl.
Speaker 1: Well God see us too, Papa.
Speaker 6: I don't see why not, Joshua, we just have to have favorite show children. That's the story of Joseph.
Speaker 1: God saved Joseph's family from starvation.
Speaker 6: Didn't he yes, unit he did, and not only Joseph. God shaved all of Egypt too.
Speaker 1: Then he can do it for us. I just know he can't.
Speaker 5: Then, when spring arrived, Papa arranged for his friend Carl to come and plow their garden plot.
Speaker 9: I tell you, but John, I'll do it for you. But you're just throwing your money of Eh, you're the only one I know that's even bothering. Everybody knows what's going to happen. Then the hopper's.
Speaker 6: Hatch, and I reckon they're going to hatch, all right. I am just trusting God to step in and overrule their destruction.
Speaker 9: Most foolish thing I've ever heard of. But you're paying me, and I could use the money, so I best get at it.
Speaker 4: John, Look outside, I know it's happening.
Speaker 6: The hoppers are hatching.
Speaker 4: They're already stripping the trees. Soon there won't be a leaf in sight.
Speaker 1: It looks almost like wintertime that it does lowers.
Speaker 6: My We knew it would be bad, and it's even worse than I thought. But I bought the seeds just the same, beets, squash, corn, tomatoes, everything we need for a perfect garden.
Speaker 4: So do you really think.
Speaker 6: Clara, my dear, we're planting this garden, and then it's up to God. All right now, Lois, I am depending on you and Joshua to plant the garden. I just can't get down and do it with these old bones of mine.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, Papa, Yeah, we can do it.
Speaker 6: I'll sit right here on this stool at the end of the rose. I'll get the seeds ready for you.
Speaker 1: Papa.
Speaker 6: What is it, Penis?
Speaker 1: The hoppers are all over the ground. How are we going to plant the seeds?
Speaker 6: You just take your hand and scrape the grass hoppers aside, plant the seeds, pat the dirt over them, and go on to the next hill. Good job, children, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Every time I planted seeds, Papa, I said.
Speaker 6: A prayer, need too, well, then you need it just right.
Speaker 1: Will God make our garden grow and keep Donald's out so we don't have to eat grasshopper stew.
Speaker 6: Let's just see what God will do for us. Don't you be worrying about that stew just yet.
Speaker 9: Phil John, It's mighty nice of you to grow fresh garden salad for the hoppers to eat.
Speaker 1: See what's that I see there?
Speaker 9: The first sprouts.
Speaker 6: I don't know where.
Speaker 9: Right there, that's rope.
Speaker 2: What's that anyway, let me see, let us throw They're going to eat that a pretty cool don't be too sure, Carl. Oh they'll eat it all right, lettuce ooohy, just the thing they ordered for breakfast, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Strangely enough, however, the Calkins lettuce, their peas, corn beet, squash, and everything else they planted was not eaten by the grasshoppers. The green sprouts pushed their way through the earth, and the plague of insects, which was often several inches thick in the fields, did not touch the tender garden plants. Soon neighbors far and near began to come and see this phenomenon for themselves. Look at that, Dennis. Can you believe it?
Speaker 11: It's spooky, that's what it is, Elizabeth. The hoppers have eaten everything, even the paint off our house, and here's this garden, green and beautiful. Something weird is going on, for sure.
Speaker 9: Bill John, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Then I plowed this up for you. I thought you were the craziest man on the planet to waste your money. But now just look at it. It's the best garden I ever saw.
Speaker 6: You know what I think, Clara.
Speaker 4: Oh, Betsy, yes, that something wonderful is happening right here in our own garden. There's not a green blade of grass within hundreds of miles.
Speaker 1: But your squash plants just look at them, they're huge, and your corn.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: God has blessed your garden.
Speaker 5: All that summer, the grasshoppers continued to munch their way through everything that was even remotely edible, everything that is, except what grew in the Calkin's garden. They harvested fifty bushels of beer eat from a very small patch. There were eighty three enormous squashes from just three plants. Everything they planted produced abnormally large quantities that were of the highest quality.
Speaker 6: Well, Peanut, it's time to take our supply of vegetables to the cellar and store them for the winter.
Speaker 1: Okay, Papa, are we going to sell the rest? Like always?
Speaker 6: Eh? I'll hitch up Bessie and pull the stand out to the road. Just stink. We have plenty to eat and plenty to sell. It's a miracle, no doubt about.
Speaker 9: It there, John. It looks like all the money you paid me to plow up your garden plot is going right back into your pockets. You're the only one with vegetables to sell for miles around. And look at them too. I don't believe that they ever seen pumpkins and carrots or anything that looks as good as these.
Speaker 6: God did all this, Carl, You know it had to be him. I had to be see. Uh, they'll what is it, Carl, They'll.
Speaker 9: The Petersens, the let's put it this way. I saw Nelly in town yesterday and Sheazrael. Then if I don't miss my guess, they're all but starving to death, and I know for a fact that they're going to lose their farm. They're completely broke. I don't suppose.
Speaker 6: Ah for Shay, no more, Carl used up by their place on your way home, and send them over here. I don't mind taking money from folks who have some to pay for our produce, because we're going to need the money. But I'll give to folks they can't pay. That's only right, considering what God has done for us.
Speaker 9: I thought you'd see that you're a good man. I'll send him right over.
Speaker 6: Now you two just look things over and decide what you'll be needing. None of our friends will starve while we have food up plenty.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 4: We're so happy to be able to share God's blessings.
Speaker 6: Bless you, Clara, you too, John. That goes double for me now, Henry, Nellie, no thanks needed, you know, John, this is just like in Bible times. God kept his promise to you. We've done a good deal of Bible reading and praying this summer, But a promise about a garden, I don't remember anything.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's there.
Speaker 3: God rebuked a devourer, just like he said he would.
Speaker 9: I think maybe it's in Malachi.
Speaker 6: Really well, I guess we'll have to look that up.
Speaker 3: You do that, and when you find it, you'll know what I mean.
Speaker 4: We'll look for it tonight when we have family worship. And now, Nelly, let me grab this bushel basket and you can start picking out what you folks need.
Speaker 6: Malachi, that's what they said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Who said what?
Speaker 4: Oh Henry Peterson. When they were here today, he said there was a promise in Malachi that would explain our garden.
Speaker 6: Really, yeah, let's see here. Well, well, what do you know here it is read it to us. John Malachi three says here to give God our tithe.
Speaker 1: We do that. We pay our tithes, don't we, Papa.
Speaker 6: Yes, peanis all the times have been. We've been faithful with God's tithes. And then it says, I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And to think God made that promise and kept it even before we knew about it.
Speaker 6: God rebuked the devourer all right.
Speaker 4: Our gardener's proof of that, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And God answered my prayer too.
Speaker 6: Oh did you pray some kind of special prayer?
Speaker 1: I sure did, Was it, Peanut, that I wouldn't have to eat grasshopper stew? Yuck?
Speaker 6: Nope, no grasshopper stew for this family, Only the wonderful food that God protected from the grasshopper plague. Praise his wonderful name.
Speaker 3: Well, Aunt Carol, I must say, I'm glad I've never had to eat grasshopper stew or go hungry.
Speaker 5: Me too, Uncle Dan, And I'm sure our listeners feel the same way.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, even if pizza isn't on the menu. And Mom insists that you eat your veggies. I'm sure you'll be glad you aren't having grasshopper stew for supper or breakfast our lunch.
Speaker 5: Before we forget, we promise to give you our webin mailing addresses again.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: Our website is at your story hour dot org.
Speaker 5: Or rite us at box eight Niles, n I L E. S. Michigan four nine one two zero.
Speaker 3: And now we have to close for today. Be sure to tune in next time, won't you.
Speaker 5: We'll be looking for you.
Speaker 3: This has been your story Hour, building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 5: This is Aunt Carrol and Uncle Dann saying goodbye everyone, See you again next time.
Speaker 11: A