Speaker 1: Have you ever really stopped to think about just how huge the Internet actually is, the part you use every day. It's well, it's way bigger and more layered than most of us. Picture what you typically see, you know, what Google shows you. That's really just the surface, a very tip of this massive digital iceberg.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. And today, yeah, we're going beneath that surface, dive in deep Exactly. We're doing a deep dive into the Internet's hidden layers and the really complex, sometimes quite alarming world of cybercrime that thrives in those shadows.
Speaker 1: So what's the mission here?
Speaker 2: Our mission is basically to pull back the curtain. We want to look at digital criminal activity where it hides, the sophisticated tricks attackers use, and the global efforts trying to fight back. Okay, and we're drawing all this from a really comprehensive source we've been digging into called the Encyclopedia of Criminal Activities, and the Deep Web sounds thorough it is the main goal here is to give you the insights you need to stay well, not just aware, but genuinely secure in this digital world that's always always changing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's really get into that iceberg idea. You mentioned the tip. That's the surface web, right right.
Speaker 2: That's everything the standard search engines like Google can easily find an index your news, websites, online stores, social media feeds, every day stuff, the every day stuff. But here's the kicker, the part that's kind of mind bending. Our sources suggest this accessible bit the surface web, it holds less than twenty percent of all the information online.
Speaker 1: Wow, less than twenty percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really just the very very peak.
Speaker 1: So what lies beneath?
Speaker 2: Okay, so below that you get into the deep web. Now, this isn't automatically shady or anything.
Speaker 1: I think people hear deep web and immediately think bad things.
Speaker 2: Exactly, But it's mostly just content that needs, you know, a log in or a direct link. Stuff search engines don't index because it's private. Think about your email inbox, your online banking, cloud storage, your private accounts. Precisely, it's legitimate, necessary information, kept secure, just not open for any web crawler to find.
Speaker 1: Got it. And then deeper still.
Speaker 2: Then you reach the layer that yeah, sparks the most curiosity and frankly the most concern, the dark web.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is where it gets really hidden.
Speaker 2: This is where the digital shadows really get long. It's an encrypted network. You mostly access it using special software. The most famous one is probably Tour, the Onion router.
Speaker 1: The Onion router what onion.
Speaker 2: Because it wraps your Internet traffic in multiple layers of encryption like an onion. It bounces your connection through a whole series of volunteer relays around.
Speaker 1: The world, ah making it hard to trace.
Speaker 2: Incredibly difficult. It's like trying to follow a letter that's been rerouted through a thousand different post offices, each putting on a new anonymous label.
Speaker 1: Clever is Tour the only way in not the only one.
Speaker 2: There's another network called I two P, the Invisible Internet Project. It uses slightly different methods like unidirectional tunnels to add even more layers of anonymity, makes users almost like digital ghosts, very hard to track down.
Speaker 1: But these tools they're not just for criminals, are.
Speaker 2: They Absolutely not? And that's the crucial point, the kind of paradox here. These privacy networks have a dual use. They're vital tools for people living under oppressive regimes, activists, journalists, ordinary citizens, allowing them to communicate and access information without being watched.
Speaker 1: So essential for free speech in some places.
Speaker 2: Definitely, But that same powerful anonymity, that cloak of invisibility, well, it also makes these networks a perfect breeding ground for illegal activities.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what kind of illegal activities are we talking about finding down there?
Speaker 2: Well, the sources we looked at paint a pretty grim picture of a thriving black market. You could find all sorts of illicit goods and services. Drugs obviously, people might remember the Silk Road marketplace.
Speaker 1: Fiasca now that made big news.
Speaker 2: Big news, but also firearms, huge amounts of stolen confidential data, credit card numbers, bank logins, even complete identity packages with social security numbers. You can buy services that create fake receipts, you know, tailored to look real for almost any online purchase.
Speaker 1: Just unbelievable the scale.
Speaker 2: Of it it is. But maybe the most disturbing thing, and something we absolutely have to mention, is that our sources report the production and sharing of child pornography is well common on these protected networks. Oh that's awful. It's horrific. The very anonymity designed to protect the vulnerable is tragically twisted to facilitate some of the worst crimes. Imaginable.
Speaker 1: That really is sobering. Okay, so we understand a bit more about where this happens. Let's shift to the how how do we define cybercrime broadly and what are the common tactics these criminals use?
Speaker 2: Okay, So cybercrime in general, it's any kind of online threat targeting computer devices, networks, it systems. Usually, almost always, it involves some kind of malicious software, malware viruses used to getting where they shouldn't or to cause image and.
Speaker 1: It covers a lot of ground, a huge.
Speaker 2: Range, everything from stealing intellectual property like company secrets, to damaging or wiping out critical data, stealing personal info, financial fraud, identity theft, even causing serious harm to someone's reputation online. The key goals are usually penetrating controlled systems, and crucially for the criminal, staying untraceable.
Speaker 1: Makes sense? And what's driving them? Is it always just about making money?
Speaker 2: Money is definitely a huge factor, right, probably the biggest motivator we see, but it's not the only one. Revenge is a powerful driver too. Revenge Like how think about say an employee who got fired and feels wronged, maybe publicly humiliated if they have insider knowledge of the company systems. They might use it to cause damage, leak data, hurt the company's reputation or finances.
Speaker 1: Right, weaponizing their access exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there are other motives, sometimes purely emotional, like hate crimes carried out online or driven by ideology.
Speaker 1: But yeah, bottom line, and every cyber criminal has an objective money, revenge, disruption, something.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get into the tactics, the playbook, so to speak. Where do they often start. I guess social engineering like phishing is pretty common. We've probably all seen those emails that look a bit off.
Speaker 1: Oh. Absolutely. Phishing is basically the art of deception online, tricking you into giving up sensitive info credit card details, bank logins, usually through fake websites or emails designed to look exactly like the real thing.
Speaker 2: Very convincing. Sometimes they can be incredibly convincing. Now there's mass phishing, which is like casting a wide net hoping to catch anyone. But then there's spearfishing.
Speaker 1: Spearfishing sounds more targeted.
Speaker 2: It is much more targeted and much more dangerous. Here, the criminals research specific individuals, they find public information, maybe from social media or company websites, and craft personalized emails, often with malware hidden and attachments the email it's legitimate, maybe like it's from a colleague or a known contact, designed purely to build trust and get that one specific person to click.
Speaker 1: Wow. That takes more effort.
Speaker 2: It does require more human effort than automated mass fishing, but the success rate can be alarmingly high because it feels so personal and credible.
Speaker 1: I remember those early four nineteen Nigerian scams. That was pure deception, wasn't it a form of identity theft built on a lie?
Speaker 2: Exactly, a classic example of social engineering before it got quite so technically sophisticated. But yeah, beyond trickery, malware itself is a massive, constantly evolving threat.
Speaker 1: Malware the malicious software umbrella.
Speaker 2: What falls under that lots of things, but one of the most notorious types is ransomware. I think petya want to cry those big outbreak.
Speaker 1: Right, and I remember those they locked up computers, didn't they?
Speaker 2: Precisely. Ransomware takes your data hostage. It encrypts your files or locks your whole computer, and then demands a ransom payment, usually in cryptocurrency, to give you access back.
Speaker 1: And that's becoming more common.
Speaker 2: Dramatically so our sources showed the frequency jumping from attacks happening every forty seconds back in twenty seventeen to ever twenty four seconds twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Every twenty four seconds. That's terrified.
Speaker 2: It's a staggering acceleration. It means for a lot of people and businesses it's less a question of if they'll get hit and more when, which really changes how you have to think about defense. The impact just on healthcare alone was projected to quadruple by twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Just devastating for critical services. Any other major malware types.
Speaker 2: Well, you also have computer worms. These are nasty because they can copy themselves and spread across networks automatically, without needing you to click anything specific. They just quietly infect machine after machine. And interestingly, we're seeing a bit of a shift to away from purely automated malware towards attacks where humans manually deploy the malware, making them more precise and harder to detect initially.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about attacks that don't necessarily steal data but just disrupt things like denial of service? I think most of us have experienced a website just not loading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that frustration is often a denial of service or DOS attack. It basically floods a server with so much traffic that it gets overwhelmed and can't respond to legitimate users.
Speaker 1: Just one attacker causing that.
Speaker 2: That's a basic DOS. But then you have didas distributed denial of service that's way more powerful distributed.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Imagine instead of one person knocking on the door, you have a huge mob, maybe millions of computers all hammering the website at once. These are usually bots, computers that have been secretly compromised and are controlled by the attacker. They create this overwhelming flood of traffic that just forces the site offline.
Speaker 1: A digital mob.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, and the scale is increasing. DDoS attacks in twenty seventeen were reportedly four times larger than just two years earlier. These digital moms are getting bigger and more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: And then there's a newer one. You mentioned. Cryptojacking sounds like something from science fiction.
Speaker 2: Doesn't, but it's very real. Cryptojacking is basically hijacking someone else's computer processing power without their knowledge, to mind cryptocurrency, So.
Speaker 1: My computer could be working for a criminal eventually.
Speaker 2: Yes, they run mining scripts hidden on websites or delivered via malware. It's stealthy, low risk for the criminal compared to setting up their own mining rigs, and they target anything with processing power. High traffic websites are prime targets. There was one piece of malware some mom and rou that compromised something like half a million machines just for crypto.
Speaker 1: Mining, turning unsuspecting users into unwitting accomplices.
Speaker 2: Essentially yes, using their electricity and computer resources.
Speaker 1: The real world consequences of all this are just huge, aren't they? And it's not just the big corporations or governments getting hit.
Speaker 2: No, that's a key point from our sources. While big breaches make headlines, the majority of cyber attacks actually target small businesses.
Speaker 1: Why them?
Speaker 2: Often because they have fewer resources for robust cybersecurity defenses, they're seen as easier targets.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Are their stats on this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The FDI tracks something called Business Email compromise or BC that's often targeted fishing, leading to fraudulent wire transfers. The report showed losses exploding by thirteen hundred percent since twenty fifteen, adding up to over three billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Three billion just from tricking people into sending money.
Speaker 2: It's staggering, and it hits individuals too. Microsoft did a survey finding that two out of three people had run into a technical support scam in the previous year.
Speaker 1: The fake Microsoft support calls.
Speaker 2: Exactly or pop up saying your computer's infected. And behind the scenes, cyber criminals are turning out something like one point four million phishing websites, constantly trying to mimic legitimate sites to steal your logins or money.
Speaker 1: It really paints a picture of a constant, ongoing battle, which leads us perfectly into the next part. Vulnerabilities, both the humankind and the technical kind, the manipulations, and how this whole threat landscape keeps evolving. I suspect a lot of this comes down to us, doesn't it our behavior online?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. Think about how much we willingly share on social media, birthdays, where we live, pictures of our family, are pets, names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the stuff security questions often ask about.
Speaker 2: Precisely. Cyber criminals can easily gather this seemingly harmless info and piece together detailed profiles. It puts individuals and even their families at real risk. And there's this other factor too, something called privacy fatigue.
Speaker 1: Privacy fatigue. What's that.
Speaker 2: It's basically where people just get tired of worrying about online privacy all the time. There are so many data breaches, so many complex settings, that they kind of give up and just accept the risks in return for say, personalized ads or convenient services.
Speaker 1: I can see that happening, just feeling overwhelmed exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a trade off people make often without fully realizing the potential consequences, and.
Speaker 1: That fatigue, that willingness to share it opens the door for more direct exploitation, right like online harassment.
Speaker 2: Definitely, things like cyber stocking where someone uses repeated online messages or emails to frighten a harass a victim, or cyber bullying using the internet to bully others, which can even happen in the workplace, and cyber defamation spreading lies online to wreck someone's reputation.
Speaker 1: It's weaponizing information and access, it is.
Speaker 2: And it can go to some really dark places. Our sources mention things like Internet death groups which prey on vulnerable young people, maybe exploiting feelings of hopelessness or disillusionment.
Speaker 1: That's deeply disturbing.
Speaker 2: It is, And on a different note, technology also makes things like academic cheating easier, or even document forgery, like faking papers to help someone leave their home country under false pretenses. It's interesting too, how views on academic integrity can really differ across cultures.
Speaker 1: We've also seen these massive data breaches become almost routine news. You mentioned Yahoo earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the twenty fourteen Yahoo breach was enormous, three billion user accounts affected. That's set a terrifying record. Then Facebook had its big data leak in twenty eighteen involving Cambridge Analytica, impacting millions.
Speaker 1: And it's not just tech companies.
Speaker 2: Healthcare too, Absolutely critical sectors are prime targets. Singapore had a major cyber attack on its health system, affecting one point five million patients, including their prime minister. The UK's NHS has faced numerous data breaches. These aren't just technical glitches. They seriously erode public trust.
Speaker 1: And now we're seeing artificial intelligence enter the picture, making things even more complex.
Speaker 2: Right. AI is becoming a powerful tool. Unfortunately for criminals too. We're seeing AI used to create.
Speaker 1: Deep fakes, those fake videos that look incredibly real.
Speaker 2: Exactly generating convincing but totally fabricated video and audio. There are huge concerns about how this could be used for political disinformation scams, or even horrifyingly, to create synthetic child pornography.
Speaker 1: That's a nightmare scenario, it is.
Speaker 2: And researchers have even developed something called deep master prints. These are AI generated sort of universal fingerprint templates that can actually match a significant percentage of real fingerprints in a database. One study showed they could match seventy seven percent of users with only a one percent false match rate.
Speaker 1: Wow. So much for biometric security being foolproof.
Speaker 2: It raises seria questions, and beyond that, AI is being programmed to act as intelligent scanners, not just looking for known security holes, but actively finding new undiscovered vulnerabilities in software. It's like weaponizing AI's learning ability against our own defenses.
Speaker 1: Which brings us straight to fake news and disinformation That really exploded into public consciousness around the twenty sixteen US election, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It certainly gained huge prominence then, and it's incredibly damaging. It's not just about spreading falsehoods. It's used to actively undermine trust in institutions, fuel social tensions, and interfere directly in political processes and.
Speaker 1: Social media plays a big role.
Speaker 2: A massive role. Social media often acts like an echo chamber where you mainly see views you already agree with, reinforcing your biases. And it's also an amplifier, spreading information true or false incredibly quickly and widely. This combination really fuels political polarization.
Speaker 1: We saw documented cases of state actors getting involved too.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Russian state sponsored internet interference in the twenty six US election is a prime example of how disinformation can be used as a tool in sort of hybrid warfare. It's cheap, it's easy to spread via social media, and it can be very effective.
Speaker 1: And maybe the most disturbing intersection of technology and crime is how it's used in human trafficking and child exploitation.
Speaker 2: This is a truly devastating area. Traffickers exploit the Internet's global reach for both recruiting victims and advertising them. They use social media, chat rooms, online classified ads like the now defunct backpage dot com to find, lure, and sell vulnerable people.
Speaker 1: Are there numbers on how prevalent this is.
Speaker 2: One INNGO Thorn reported that a shocking sixty three percent of identified child victims were advertised online. Sixty three percent.
Speaker 1: That's horrific. How do they manipulate victims online?
Speaker 2: There's something called luring communication theory LCT. It outlines the steps online predators often take. It usually starts with grooming, building trust, making the victim feel special, isolating them. Then they might move to communicative desensitization, gradually introducing inappropriate topics and make them seem normal, and finally using verbal lead ins, pushing boundaries with sexually suggestive language. It's a calculated, manipulative process that's awful.
Speaker 1: It's clear the threats are huge, constantly changing, and coming from all angles. So face with all this, the big question is what can we actually do? How do we defend ourselves or businesses or society on this digital frontier.
Speaker 2: It's a multi layered answer. Starting with individual actions, there are some basic but absolutely crucial best practices.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are the essentials?
Speaker 2: First, be incredibly suspicious of unknown links or attachments in emails. That's ground zero for phishing and malware. Don't click if you're unsure. Second, keep your software updated, your operating system, your browser, everything. Those updates often contain vital security patches that fix known.
Speaker 1: Holes, like digital vaccines exactly.
Speaker 2: Third, use a firewall. It acts like a filter, blocking malicious traffic trying to get into your network. Fourth, passwords, Please please use strong, unique passwords.
Speaker 1: Not password one two three or one two, three, four, five, six.
Speaker 2: Definitely not think long at least ten maybe fifteen characters, mix uppercase, lowercase numbers, symbols, or even better, use a pass hraise a short, memorable sentence, and don't reuse passwords across different sites.
Speaker 1: Good advice anything else?
Speaker 2: For individuals, Yes, backups Regularly backup your important data, photos, documents, whatever matters to an external drive or secure cloud service. If ransomware hits, having a backup means you don't have to pay to get your stuff back.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the individual level. What about organizations? They face bigger threats, presumably need bigger defenses.
Speaker 2: They absolutely do. For organizations, it's about continuous risk assessment and implementing robust security controls across the board. Making sure all hardware and software is updated, including antivirus is baseline.
Speaker 1: Moving beyond just passwords too.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely using more complex authentication is key. Multi factor authentication MFA should be standard wherever possible, combining something you know password with something you have like a code from your phone or something you are like a fingerprint. There's even advanced stuff like keystroke biometrics analyzing the unique rhythm of how you type.
Speaker 1: Wow, and specific industries like banking must have extra layers, oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Debunking relies heavily on things like SSL certificates for encrypted connections, strict security hitters, and systems like certificate transparency to constantly verify website identities and prevents spoofing or man of the moddle attacks where someone intercepts.
Speaker 1: Your connection and I guess AI is being used defensively too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Increasingly, deep learning and machine learning are powering advanced anti fraud systems. They can analyze transaction patterns in real time, spotting anomalies and suspicious behavior much faster than humans could.
Speaker 1: What about things like blockchain and smart contracts? They have vulnerabilities too, right they do.
Speaker 2: Smart contract code needs rigorous auditing. Bugs can be catastrophic. Remember that Ethereum contract flawback in twenty sixteen cost about eighty mins million dollars due to a vulnerability, and even similar tools like capchas those prove your human tests are important for stopping automated bots. From scraping websites or launching brute force.
Speaker 1: Attacks, So lots of technical defenses. But you mentioned earlier cybercrime ignores borders while laws are usually national. That sounds like a huge mismatch.
Speaker 2: It's a fundamental challenge. The borderless nature of cybercrime makes international cooperation absolutely essential, but it's really difficult to achieve effectively because legal systems, investigative powers, and even definitions of crimes vary so much from country to country.
Speaker 1: So what does the legal landscape actually look like? Is there any global standard?
Speaker 2: Not really a single standard, more patchwork. You have major efforts like the EU's General Data Protection Regulation GDPR, which came into force in twenty eighteen that set a high bar for data privacy and consent with big fines for companies that fail to comply.
Speaker 1: That made waves globally, it really did.
Speaker 2: Then the UK you have the Computer Misuse Act, updated in twenty fifteen to bring harsher penalties for serious cyber offenses. Australia strengthened its laws in twenty twelve. Malaysia was actually quite early in enacting cyber laws, but still faces challenges with enforcement expertise. Though they were developing a national policy, and the US has laws like the Patriot Act and the Cloud Act, which controversially allow for searching data even if it's stored overseas.
Speaker 1: So a real mix of approaches and the goalposts keep moving constantly.
Speaker 2: New challenges keep popping up. How do you effectively define and regulate something like digital piracy? It's still debated. There's the ongoing tension between protecting anonymous speech online which could be vital, versus preventing illegal trade and harmful content that anonymity.
Speaker 1: Enables difficult balances to strike very and.
Speaker 2: There's a growing recognition that we need specific laws addressing cyber violence against women and girls, Yeah, THEAWG not just relying on general VAWG laws. Plus there are calls for the tech industry itself, ISPs social media platforms to take more responsibility and cooperate proactively in tackling illegal behavioralf on their platforms.
Speaker 1: And the whole dark web. Ethical dilemma remains.
Speaker 2: Absolutely How do you balance the legitimate need for privacy and free expression that tools like tour provide against the undeniable fact that criminals exploit that same technology. There are no easy answers.
Speaker 1: So thinking even bigger picture, maybe even the cyber warfare. Are there international efforts to respond at that level?
Speaker 2: There are initiatives. Google's Project Zero, for instance, is a private sector effort, but it focuses on finding critical vulnerabilities before attackers can exploit them, aiming to make the whole ecosystem safer. There are also discussions about concepts like establishing cyber buffer zones as part of international peacekeeping, but that's highly theoretical right now. Getting global agreement and the necessary technical expertise for something like that is incredibly challenging.
Speaker 1: It really shows that securing cyberspace is this constant, complex, global effort happening largely out of sight exactly.
Speaker 2: It's an ongoing battle on multiple fronts.
Speaker 1: Wow, we've covered so much ground today, from that visible tip of the iceberg, the surface web, down into the deep and dark webs, exploring the criminals tactics, the vulnerabilities they exploit, and the ways we're trying to defend ourselves. It's just it's a world that's incredibly complex, constantly shifting, and driven by the ingenuity of both the packers and the defenders.
Speaker 2: It really is, and it underlines how this dark side isn't some far off abstract threat. It's deeply interwoven with our technology, reflecting both human ingenuity and unfortunately, human flaws and motivations. It shows how quickly that line between useful innovation and dangerous exploitation can become blurred.
Speaker 1: Which leaves us with a pretty challenging thought to end on, doesn't it. As technology gets more and more tangled up in every part of our lives, our money, our relationships, our health, our politics, are we maybe inadvertently trading away fundamental values like privacy or security just for the sake of digital convenience. And maybe more importantly, what's our shared responsibility? Yours mine? Everyone listening in trying to build an online future that's not just innovative, but also secure and well ethical to