Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty Wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: K f I and kost in HT two Los Angeles and Orange County at Wake Up your host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up, good Monday morning to you. It's Saint Patrick's Day, March seventeenth, Faith in Bigorre. I'm Ammy King. Thanks for joining us to start your day. Might have heard that open opening day Baseball tomorrow Dodgers in Tokyo. Did you see that show? Hey O Tani hit a home run in the exhibition game over the weekend. The crowd, of course went wild. Are you wearing your green today? Don't forget if you're rummaging through your closet picking out your daily stuff. I see that. Will you're wearing white? Okay, well, you know you're gonna get pitched. I've got my one green shirt. It's a Perry a T.
Speaker 3: Shirt that wore my last week and now it's dirty.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. And then and then look I've got my uh my pot of gold tennis shoes. They're sparkly gold. Yeah, okay, hope you had a great weekend. My weekend continued my obsession with the Eaglitz and big Bear so cute. Hey, if you're watching, you might notice something's a little bit different. Their infrared camera is out and the mic is out, so they've actually got two cameras up there. One of them is from far away looking at the tree, and then one's in the nest, and so they've got the one that's far away in the tree showing it's infrared, so you at least get a shadow cast on it, so it looks like there's a spotlight beamed on them at night, but it's not. They can't see that, but it sure gives you appreciation for when mom and dad are feeding the kids in the middle of the night because it is pitch black without those infrared cameras. And of course the sad news that we did lose one of the eaglits. We knew that on Friday the eaglet was not anywhere in the nest, and when they're that young, if they're not there, there's you know they're not there. But they did confirm it over the weekend that one of them did not make it, which is very sad, but it is still part of nature and it's a beautiful thing, and I'm still super obsessed with it because we still have two and they're adorable. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Some shaking in the Southland. Malibu's been rattled by a three point nine earthquake. The US Geological Survey says the quake kid at eight seventeen last night. It was felt in Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, Agora Hills in Moore Park. Several earthquakes have rumbold under Malibu in the last couple of weeks. President Trump's National Security advisor says Iran is on notice. The US carried out airstrikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen over the weekend, targeting the leadership of the Iran backed group, in response to its attacks on global shipping in the Red Sea for the past year. ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us in just a couple of minutes to tell us when the National Security Advisor says those attacks will stop. The astronauts on the Crew ten mission to the International Space Station have docked the SpaceX capsule arrived Saturday night. Their spacecraft is going to provide a ride home for Sunny Williams and butch Wilmore. They were planning to be on the space station for a week when they went there in June. That has lasted nine months. They'll also be joined by Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Haig and a Russian cosmonaut on the trip home. They're expected to head back to Earth Wednesday. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us about the Tesla takedown. It's happening at Tesla dealerships around the US. So if you're planning to travel overseas this summer, things have changed. Kfi's Rory O'Neil is going to let us know how to plan for those changes. That's coming up. Before the top of the hour, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Five people have been hurt in a crash after a police chase in San Dimas. Two were said to have major or critical injuries. The other three have injuries described as minor or non life threatening. The crash happened about seven last night at San Dimas Canyon Road and Foothill Boulevard. Police had been chasing suspected burglars who broke into a home in Glendora the body of a man has washed ashore near Belmont Pierre and Long Beach. Police say the body was found shortly before noon yesterday near Ocean Boulevard in thirty sixth place. The man appeared to have been in his fifties, but police haven't said who it was or what led to his death. Eagle watchers in Big Bear have confirmed the death of one of Jackie in Shadows Eglitz.
Speaker 4: Frunds of Big Bear Valley confirmed the news over the weekend.
Speaker 5: We're not sure what happened with that Eglt, but it got into It was in the nest the whole time, out of our view because of the snow bank.
Speaker 4: Sadie Sear says it was heartbreaking when they realized what happened to the third Eglit, but she says the remaining Eglitz are doing well.
Speaker 5: They're thriving, sitting in the sun and because it's warm up here today.
Speaker 4: Jackie and Shadow have gained worldwide fame on their parenting journey. Millions of people have tuned into the Friends of Big Bear Valley live stream to watch. You can watch the live stream of jack and Shadow on our website KFIAM six forty dot com slash Big Bear how the Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: I am one of those millions. In fact, there's fifteen thousand of us watching right now. Like during the day on Friday, it was up over like eighty thousand. It's just crazy. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, the US attacked Hooti rebel targets over the weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 7: This was the most significant military strike that President Trump has launched since he returned to the White House in January. He ordered these airstrikes on Hooty and Yemen over the weekend with the goal of trying to put a stop to their attacks on shipping and US forces in the Red Sea. A US official tells US that the air and naval strikes hit radars, air defenses, and missile and drone systems, and that the attacks could continue and maybe even intensifying scope and scale. The President had said, you know, he's not worried about retaliation by the Houthis, but officials had also told us that the response from the US continuing would depend on what the Houthis did in response. And they did retaliate. They fired several drones in at least one missile over the weekend, but the drones were shot down, the missile landed in the Red Sea and nothing came close to any US ships. But this again was a significant military strike by the President, and he was clearly sending a message at Iran, who backs and supports these Houthi militants. He said that they needed to stop that support immediately and said, do not threaten the American people their president. If you do, beware because America will go do fully accountable.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Karen, why why now? Is there anything that triggered that the US felt, hey, we got to start hitting them now.
Speaker 7: You know, it wasn't necessarily one particular thing like last week. This has been an ongoing thing about the duties since the Hamas attacks on Israel in October twenty twenty three. Since then, they've launched more than one hundred attacks on vessels in the Red Sea, and it's really had a significant disruption on this critical shipping route. You know, ships have gone around it, they're not using that area. The Biden administration, of course, you and I had talked about this many times. They launched similar strikes on the hoofies, but that didn't stop their attacks on the ships in the Red Sea. They in fact even had hit similar military targets during the Biden administration, like the ones that were hit over the weekend, but didn't have a really big effect. But in terms of you know why now, what this message is the White House very much wants the Iranian to negotiate an end to their nuclear program. So that's kind of tied up in all of this here with the message of the administration was sending to Iran and that if they don't come to the negotiating table, that there could be military action similar to what we saw over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then one last question. I think that the Houthis were saying, of course that you hit civilian targets. So I will Carrie one, do the Houtis employ the same tactics as humas, which is embedding their forces and their weapons within the civilian population or is that what they're just saying or do we know?
Speaker 7: Because you know, I don't know that. So the first I don't know. The White House says that the strike took out multiple HOOTHI leaders. The Houthi run the Health Ministry said at least fifty three people were killed civilians. We have a White House briefing today and I think that will be a big question that comes up to the White House Press Secretary. So we'll get it, hopefully get some answers in a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: And ABC's Karen Travers is on it. Thank you so much, Karrien.
Speaker 7: We'll be there all right, take care, Thank you.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, another judge has stopped or at least delayed President trump efforts to enforce immigration laws.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, let's zoom out and recast. What we're talking about is the possibility that the administration has violated the order of a federal judge because we had two planes that took off from Texas on Saturday afternoon while the court hearing was underway. Judge James Boseberg and Obama appointee turned to the administration lawyer and center right, I've been presented with this petition by advocates for these migrants who say that they're about to be deported from the country. Is that true? And the Justice Department lawyer said, well, I don't know, your honor. Let me see if I can find out. The hearing was put on pause while this was all happening. The planes took off from Texas, and when word reached the judge, the judge said, if there were any planes in the air that are affected by my decision here, I want them turned around. I want them returned to the United States. A deliberate decision was made at the White House. We're told to disregard the judge's order, that his directive should not be followed because the administration decided that the judge did not have jurisdiction because the planes had already left American airspace. The administration, according to the Press secretary at the White House, quote did not refuse to comply with the court order. And there's some parsing here. They're pointing to the written order versus the verbal directive. The White House says the order had no lawful basis because the migrants had already been removed from US territory. This is now increasingly being viewed by legal experts as something of an I mean, I want to be careful with the phrase constitutional crisis, but it certainly looks like the administration has decided to disregard the judge's order, and advocates for the migrants Overnight said in a filing, the administration may have blatantly violated the judge's order, and now it's going to be up to Judge James Boseberg to decide what should be done about this. If anything, he wanted to know more about what was happening and issued the order to pause any deportation so that he could assess. Now, look, some of the people, according to The Washington Post, who were on these planes, were not affected by the invocation of the Alien Enemies Act and were already being deported for other reasons, which ostensibly are legitimate. Maybe they'd already gone through the due process and been ordered deported by an immigration judge. That's not clear, and that's something the judge wanted to get to the bottom of. The administration is unapologetic, saying that a federal District court judge sitting in Washington should have no right to tell the administration how to conduct foreign policy. Immigrations are part of that, and they point to a nineteen forty eight Supreme Court opinion. It was five to four at the time that said that President Harry Truman had the power to deport a German to Germany for violating the Under the Enemy's Alien Enemies Act, even though World War Two at that point was over.
Speaker 1: You know what, when we talked to you, Stephen, it's always so much more intricate than it appears on the surface. But what on us?
Speaker 6: Isn't that the case with most of the news.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and that's why we have you here. So on what grounds does the judge make the decision? Because he didn't block the deportation order, he paused it right, or did he?
Speaker 6: The judge ordered the planes returned, The judge ordered the administration not to deport anyone who would fall under this class. The judge ordered it to stop.
Speaker 1: So it's not a temporary restraining order.
Speaker 6: It probably was a temporary restraining order. There wasn't a preliminary injunction, It wasn't an administrative stay. It was he just issued an order not to confuse it. The point is that the question is whether the administration felt it was required to follow this directive, and that is something that is very touchy. We don't have a lot of experience. As we explain the intricacies of the law of an administration thumbing its nose at a federal court.
Speaker 1: So that's the bigger issue in all of this is what do they do if it's found that Trump just violated the judge disorder?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: I mean, look, this is a fight between branches, and sometimes these things aren't easily settled, and it's certainly not going to be up to a district court judge or a circuit court. How it ultimately is resolved. It will be up to the Supreme Court. But the idea here is that the administration is confident that it had the power to do what it's doing, that the president has extraordinary constitutional authority, legal authority under a statute that dates back to seventeen ninety eight, that it has been invoked. The questions whether it was properly invoked. Is this a time of war? Is the president that it is? Overnight, he flew back on Air Force One and told reporters because he was asked about it, he goes, well, this is a time of war because there's an invasion. Is there no way to question that? That's what's an issue now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, and we'll be watching ABC. Stephen Portnoy, Thanks so much for the info give back.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, the protests against Elon Musk aren't letting up.
Speaker 8: No, they're not. And in fact, at least four more are planned for it today, including one blame in San Francisco. Yeah, four of them across the country today to California. One, there'll be one in Michigan, one in Nevada, when in Oregon. So you know these protests, there were something like ninety eight of them over the weekend. And they're protesting Amy at Tesla dealerships just because it's convenient, I think as much as anything else. They're not angry at Tesla so much as they are at the guy who's the CEO of Tesla. And they're not mad at him because he's at Tesla. They're mad at him because he's the head of the Department of Government Efficiency DOGE. So, yeah, it makes for an interesting mix of people both for and against the electric automobile. By extension, and the other thing.
Speaker 1: That you said that people aren't mad at Tesla, but some people are mad at Tesla they're selling their Tesla's, like Mark Kelly from Arizona said, I'm selling mine.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but it's not he's not mad at Tesla or at his Tesla. He's mad at Elon Musk, right, because of Musk's he's the figurehead of of DOGE and he's the guy issuing the ping slips the thousands and tens of thousands of federal employees. So, yeah, Kelly, Mark Kelly and others. I think that if this worthy they had a Ford, they'd be angry that they had a Ford as opposed to their forward automobile. Same thing with Tesla, really, so I think people bought their Tesla's. And it's interesting because many of the people who are at the protests now are probably quite liberal. They support the concept of the electric car as a way to improve the environment, but they're protests the car in order to get a punch in at the company's head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you said there were almost one hundred protests over the weekend. Are they big small? I mean, is it twenty people that show up? Is it five thousand people who show up?
Speaker 8: I haven't seen anything with five thousand, but there have been some with a few dozen people there's something called the Action Network and it's kind of a left leaning organization that watches these protests and in a way I suppose organizes them. President Trump and others have said that the protesters are being paid to be there, that they're being provided transportation by bus to get to these demonstrations to try to make them look larger. But you know, all I see here on this website is Actionnetwork dot org. Is is a listing of the various events, and that's it.
Speaker 1: And they're being called they have a catchy little name. What are they called.
Speaker 8: Called Tesla takedown. The Tesla takedown is what it's called.
Speaker 1: Okay? And then are are they being peaceful and well behaved or are things getting out of control?
Speaker 8: Well there, I mean, there have been not necessarily associated with the protests. The protests have been generally peaceful and counter protesters out there as well, but there have been some active vandalism at some of the dealerships. And you know, you can blame the protesters or you can blame people who are acting on behalf of the protest. But the people who are interviewed, the people organizing these demonstrations, say that they have nothing to do with the violence. They don't support that or vandalism. They say, they're just there to peacefully make a point.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, well we hope that it will stay that way because I hate to see the violence.
Speaker 8: All right, Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Ay Jim are you are you Jim O'Ryan?
Speaker 8: Well I was once. I think my great grandparents, I suppose worry.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So did you know that the odds of finding a four leaf clover about one in five thousand?
Speaker 8: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go. That's your Saint Patrick's fun fact.
Speaker 8: What about the chance of finding a pot of gold somewhere.
Speaker 1: A little bit less?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Well, still looking all right, Jim Rian.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. As always, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right, it is time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 5: Happy Saint Patrick's.
Speaker 1: Day, faith in Bygora. Let's talk about Saint Patrick's Day and how much money we spend on it.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I have to say, as an Irish girl who loves college basketball, a native New Yorker, I don't know what's saying. I'm loving more this week Saint Patrick or Saint John. I am hoping for Saint John's jo patting the tournament, the basketball tournament anyway. The National Retail Federation, they say sixty one percent of folks plan to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day. On average, Americans are expected to spend forty four dollars this holiday. I guess they're not going to an la boar, but the total is seven billion dollars, so seventy nine percent plan to celebrate the day by wearing green, thirty percent for making a special dinner and.
Speaker 1: Corned beef and cabbage.
Speaker 5: Probably well for some people, I know, it's it's actually not their traditional meal. By the way. My parents are from Ireland, and it's that's more of an Americanized thing. Most of the people who are native Irish will usually end up having something called back bacon, which is kind of a combo between ham. It's like a super salty ham slash bacon sort of thing. That's like probably the best way to describe it. And when you put some chefs sauce on it, which is the this kind of like it's kind of like an a one sauce. In Ireland, it's always quite delicious. That's what we're having today in my house.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a little bit of bloating to me with all the salt.
Speaker 5: No I know, I know, but you know, I guess our ancestors tried to preserve everything back in the day.
Speaker 1: Well I had to then there was no refrigeration in sixteen hundred exactly.
Speaker 5: And by the way, speaking of food, there are some food deals out there. Krispy Kreme is giving you a free donut if you wear grain today, and at Crumble Cookies you can get six cookies for the price of four and they're calling it Luck Week.
Speaker 1: We nice, Okay, cool. We've been talking about Forever twenty one for a while and now it's official.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they fought for bankruptcy. The brand that once attracted a lot of young women into its stores with its cheap and trundy clothing is winding down into US operations. They're the latest retailer to stumble with shoppers. A lot of people are cutting their clothing budgets. They also took a hit because more people are ordering online. They're just not going to the mall anymore. But keep in mind, if you're outside of the US and you do sy Forever twenty one, they're not included all locations outside of the US. They're owned by another company, so they're not included in this chapter eleven filing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so is forever twenty one. I forget. Are they closing their stores or are they going into bankruptcy and come out? Okay, they're closing.
Speaker 5: They are closing in the United States. Ok So you'll see them abroad. But you right here, everybody's shutting down.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is a money issue. More people are getting cats.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, the cat is out of the bag. I have to say. More people are bringing cats home. So Patko says cat ownership growth is on the rise, out pacing dogs. Now here's the reason. More people are returning to the office. Companies are returning to the office. So they tell the Wall Street Journal that cats are easier to care for if you aren't home every day. So as a result, since they're seeing this trend, the company's expanding its selection of lower priced and premium cat goods. They're trying to take advantage of it.
Speaker 6: All.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, well, and you know they're not wrong. I used to have a dog. He was Samson, the protector, was the best dog giver, and he would cross his legs for like ten hours at a time because I'd leave him inside. I don't think most dogs can do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he's that's a miracle dog.
Speaker 1: I know he was. He was the best dog giver. Okay, so let's take a quick look at Wall Street before we let you go. What's going to happen.
Speaker 8: We had a good day Friday, We did.
Speaker 5: We It was definitely a rebound after a week of drama with the on again, off again tariff. The DALT finished the day at six hundred and seventy five points. We are coming back a bit. We were much lower earlier in the session. Right now, SMP futures are just slightly higher, a pinch higher, up a tenth of a percent. However, dal's futures still lower. It's down about fifty points right now and trading okay, and.
Speaker 1: We can just expect the roller coaster ride to continue for a while, right, Oh of course.
Speaker 5: I mean we had Treasury Secretary Scott Bessen coming in this weekend saying, don't worry about stocks, don't worry about the slump. But a lot of people feel that the Trump administration is unlikely to step in to boost the markets.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much. Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe getting in your business every morning at five point forty right here on Wakeup Call.
Speaker 5: Thanks, enjoy the holidays.
Speaker 1: You're water you too.
Speaker 2: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: He had two things he was going to talk to us about. One was because apparently he's Irish, get it O'Neill. But I was really interested about the European travel plans. So we're going to see if we can hook back up with him on that. But since we can't right now, as we wait to see more fun facts for Saint Patrick's Day, And in case you missed it earlier, I'm wearing the only thing that I have that's green in my entire closet. And then I also have my blingy gold sparkly shoes because I got pot of gold on my feet.
Speaker 3: Right there, you go completely forgot. I just completely forgot.
Speaker 1: Sorry, well, gotta get pinched, gotta get pinched. Are you saying that he's there now? Oh you're saying turned will up a little bit microphone, would you?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 1: Okay? As we talked about corn, beef and cabbage is really popular for Saint Patrick's Day. Not my favorite, but it's more of an Irish American tradition than an Irish one. As Courtney Donaho with the Bloomberg was telling us, they like back bacon yew.
Speaker 3: Okay, it just sounds bad.
Speaker 1: Okay. The odds of finding a four leaf clover one in five thousand Saint Patrick's Days, you know, falls during Lent, right in the middle of Lent, and people a lot of people give up a little tipping of the glass during Lent, but a lot of Irish Catholics are granted an exemption to enjoy festive foods and drinks. Who gives them the exception is that from the Pope.
Speaker 3: The Pope do that? I think they did give themselves a little break there.
Speaker 1: All right. The New York Saint Patrick's Day parade bands floats and vehicles. Did you know that it's a walking parade? Only never thought of that strictly walking? Okay. The Empire State Building lights up green on March seventeenth. I love it when the Empire State Building does. I'm wondering if Lax does the pylons green.
Speaker 9: I bet and maybe even at our City Hall now has those led lights. So a lot of times they change colors.
Speaker 1: For that would be cool, and like the Santa Monica, the Ferris Wheel, firs will Yeah, okay, did you know that there's a National Leprechaun Museum in Dublin? Of course there is, of course there is. And as I told you earlier, there's no girl leprechauns, which makes me a little suspicious about the existence of leprechauns, because if there's no girls, how can there be boys? Just saying the term luck of the Irish actually originated in America.
Speaker 9: It's like Cinco de Mayo. It's like the same thing. It's an American holiday.
Speaker 1: Well, too bad, Okay, let's see where's the shortest parade. Oh, there's the shortest parade somewhere. It's like ninety eight feet. I lost that piece of paper.
Speaker 3: Uh oh wow, that's a parade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where is it? I lost my Oh well, oh well, it's Saint Patrick's Day. What do we care? I also I brought Saint Patrick's Day cookies.
Speaker 3: In I can vouch they're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my So I do M and M cookies and it's like the only kind of cookie that I may and so I sit there because I only want one color, so I buy big bags of them and then sort them so I can get the right So what.
Speaker 3: Do you do with all the other colors?
Speaker 1: Uh? Well, I end up eating them, but a little at a time, right, a little at a time. Okay, do we have Rory now? Okay, then we do get to talk about travel plans for like two minutes because we're almost out of time. Do we have Rory? Good morning?
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning. Yes, you know, we have seen some of these travel rules change this year, especially if you want to go to the UK, you need a pre authorization. But we got word last week that all the European countries that are going to have similar authorization requirements they're not going to implement them until fall of next year.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so what do you mean you have to have a pre office like you have to call? Who do you call?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 10: So if you are trying to go to the UK, then you apply. You'll get this when you book your plane reservation. But then you have to file with them for an electronic travel authorization. Essentially it costs you ten pounds and lets you enter the country anytime over a two year period.
Speaker 1: I'd give up ten pounds for that. Oh, you're talking about money like the other ten pounds, okay, but it's only affecting UK, so anybody anywhere else you're pretty much okay to do.
Speaker 10: Right, for American citizens who are traveling to the United Kingdom, either for tourism, for business, even for studying, you're going to have to obtain that electronic travel authorization before your trip. They almost do it immediately. They just want you ten bucks. And by the way, they do that to us as well, so I'm sorry we do that to them. So if they want to come from the UK or Europe, they already have to give us a similar notification that we're on the way.
Speaker 1: I think a notification is fair. I think the charges are stupid, but that's just me. What are some other things to prepare for when you're traveling for unexpected development?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, that's so the broader rules for these authorizations across the EU, they're not going to happen until the fall of twenty twenty six. That's the word we got from the EU Commission just the other day. Essentially, they're trying to also improve the passenger experience, so more and more airports in the US are working with more airports across Europe and the UK to make it faster, so you don't have to go through multiple security checkpoints if you have to go do a fly through to get from one country to another. Say you're going from la and you're trying to get to Paris, but you have a layover in Heathrow. You don't have to go through customs twice is the ultimate plan.
Speaker 1: That'd be nice. Okay, so those are changes I can buy into. Rory O'Neil, thank you so much for a lot. Thanks you've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app