Speaker 1: The voices of so glad we have you heard daily you're the only voice of reason on the radio.
Speaker 2: Fifty five the talk station A six fifty five gar see the talk station. A very happy Friday. You've been a great show. Thanks to Joe Checker for wanting up all the guests this morning, including my next ask. Replacing Congressman brad Winstrop. David Taylor, Representative Congressman Taylor, Welcome to the fifty five KRSY Morning Show. It's a real pleasure to have you on the program today. Oh, David, need to turn your microphone. He's not here all on zoom. I'm sorry. Joe Strecker and I are going back and forth. So good morning there. Yeah, there you go, coming in loud and clear. Now, David, it's great to have you on the morning show. Congratulation on the victory and of course representing Ohio District too. It's a sizeable district. Remind my listeners of your background, because you have a very impressive background that obviously qualifies you eminently for the job, because most notably you run your own small business, but also we're a former prosecutor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian, that's right. I started out as as an assistant prosecutor in Claremont County and did that for a number of years before taking over the family business in nineteen ninety nine, which is starting your ready mix located in Brown County. Been in business in my family for fifty years now, and stayed involved with the Prosecutor's office over the years since then and helped out where I could. Yeah, I think it's important to have more people with the business background in Washington, and I'm glad to say that in this incoming Congress, a lot of the new members don't have lifetime of political service. A lot of them are in businesses of different kinds, of widely varied backgrounds, which is you know, I think that's the goal.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think the important component is not just that you know how to run business, it's how life actually works, as opposed to how government works, which isn't responsible for generating any revenue and having to be accountable for the American dollar. You either earn your living and have a successful operation, or yeah, lose the business. And that's I mean. So I think that's an important sort of reality component that some people just sort of miss out on.
Speaker 3: Oh. Absolutely, the numbers have to work out in the private sector and all they have to do is print some more money here. Unfortunately, we're seeing how they've leaned on that.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just get your reaction to the just flurry of activity coming out of the Trump administration. I've been saying, Donald Trump hit the ground sprinting. We haven't seen this much activity. And I would argue all positive I did in my lifetime. I don't think I.
Speaker 3: Couldn't agree more that we all expected him to come out of the gate strong, but I think everybody's surprised by just how prepared the administration was to go forward and how uh, how quickly it's happened. And as you said, many many positive things happening here, and it was sort of as a as a new congressman, I feel like we need to we need to get busy catching up with him. You know, a lot of executive orders, doing a lot of good things, undoing a lot of previous policies from the outgoing administration. But if we don't go behind him and codify those things in the law, then you know, the next time we have a Democrat in the White House, those things will will just be another flurry of executive orders and I don't think that's how the United States is supposed to be governed. Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big fan of the so called imperial presidency, but we've been stuck in a quagmire for so long. Congress hasn't been able to get anything done. If Republicans says yes, Democrats say no, it doesn't matter what the idea is. It's just that there's this obstructionism that goes on based upon party affiliation. But since you mentioned it, and one of the obviously executive orders that bore some great fruit on behalf of the American people, regardless of the political strike, is cracking down on the border. I mean, one of the reasons Donald Trump won and by a large margin, including the popular vote, is because this border security thing was just insane. Biden welcome people and in fact encourage people from the four corners of the globe to come to the United States, overwhelming even the most blue Democratic cities to the point where the citizen there was screaming at the top of their lungs to make it stop. But border crossings down ninety percent. I read that this morning. But it's something that the next administration, if God forbid, we elect the Democrat president could immediately undo. So what is your codify into law solution? Do you have one? Are you working on legislation to put something into law?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one we've started with. I'm encouraging, you know, my other fellow congressmanated to do the same. I've started with trying to our first bill to codify the Resident's executive order to remove ten federal regulations for everyone. That's added. Very lucky to have Rick Scott heading that or leading that in the Senate. No one disagrees that we've a bloated federal regulatory structure. In fact, a member of my staff spoke to Congressional Research Service last year just tried to get an idea of under when he's working for someone else out here, just to try to get an idea of how many federal regulations there were. And we're basically told that's not even knowable, just so many we could not possibly give you account. So obviously it's not a law that would need to be an effect forever, but probably need to be an effect for a number of years to sort of puld the unwieldy and you often, you know, very negative federal regulations.
Speaker 2: Well, if anybody's seen the Code of Federal Regulations. I mean, it's volumes of books. I mean, it's just it's a sight to behold when you look at it, and then when you start reading it. I mean, it's the kind of thing that makes your eyes gloss over because it's just so complex, and one regulation will reference another one and sort of order to understand it, you got to go to the other regulation. It's just mind boggling.
Speaker 3: Right where I'll tucking to one of my fellow freshman class members and I said, it takes a long time to walk past it, much less read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know that's when we hear about these omnibus bills being passed, and I wish it would be back to the regular order of business with twelve annual Appropriations bill, which is part of the job description. But you get an omnibus bill. It's twelve hundred and fifteen hundred pages long, and it is it's you can't understand it because it mentions changes to regulations which aren't fully spelled out in the omnibus, which means you got to go back to the Coda fegga regulations and have that handy to understand what's sitting in front of you, But ultimately it's only out there for like three days. So even if you could read it cover to cover and understand it, which you literally cannot, no one does.
Speaker 3: No exactly right. And I want, I want to assure you that we're working hard to make sure we do the appropriations bills and operate under a budget this year. Obviously the March fourteenth deadline is coming up, but our goal is to be operating under a budget as as was intended this fiscal year.
Speaker 2: Which committees are you on, if I may ask, Congressman.
Speaker 3: Absolutely was very lucky in that regard. The two committees I thought were most helpful for the folks in my district or Agriculture and Transportation and Infrastructure, and I was fortunate enough to be chosen for both of those. We targeted agriculture because there are eleven thousand family farms in the district and not only and they're struggling under the lack of a farm bill that's been kicked down the road two years running now, and I do believe we're going to get that across the finish line this year. I think we're in a good spot starting out, but also that Agriculture Committee has some jurisdiction over the rural connectivity issue, and that's a huge problem in the second district. Large swaths of the district aren't not meaningfully connected to the Internet, which means they're not meaningfully connected to the modern economy. So that was sort of my first priority in the district was that if you get that domino to fall, I think you start tipping over a lot more. Because it's an all Appalachian district. Now they have every need in a very acute way that you can imagine. Yes, but I think that gives them accessibility to a lot of those issues.
Speaker 2: Well, I do I come from sort of related to farm stock. I mean my grandparents, great grandparents, and my great uncles were farmers in the Tennessee area. My wife grew up on a dairy farm in rural Pennsylvania, and I understand the hardships associated with being a dairy farmer, most notably a small dairy farmer. That is a tough life. And since you're involved with the with the agriculture area and sector and on that committee, to walk into dangerous waters here, but I am no fan of burning up corn in my gas tank and I don't think there's any need for it. It's all predicated on climate change or something, and I don't know if I understand how or why it is a good thing to burn up food in cars, and yet we pay subsidies and encourage farmers to do exactly that because of the ethanol mandates. Where are you on that topic? And you feel free to disagree with me or explain why I'm wrong now, Brian.
Speaker 3: I'm learning about that. I've heard from both sides in a little bit of time i've been here. I know they're talking about sustainable aviation fuels and you're trying to see ways that it can be positively used. But I've got a lot more to learn about that. But I am in the process of trying to get my arms around that issue. I know it's a hot button topic between farmers, and you know people are against it, so the farmers mostly are for it. So yeah, it's something I'm digging into, but not something I've got a position on yet. All right, Well, I appreciate that, and you're honesty in that regard. But I think of the corollary to that is the problem we had with corn syrup, and I think RFK Junior. If he does end up getting his position confirmed, is going to shine a whole lot of light on that most notable problem in our diets.
Speaker 2: Let's pause. We're going to continue with Congressman Dave Taylor taking over for Congressman brad Winstrup, and he's hitting the ground running. It's like everybody else in the Trump administration. We'll bring him right back. Don't go away. Fifty five the talk station Quick Pentland. Whether sundy gay to day with the higher forty one, We've got clouds, overnight, light rain, maybe some sleep if you are further to the north thirty one for the low Tomorrow overcast forty two with spotty showers. Overnight low of thirty three with overcast skys but dry and mostly cloudy. Sunday with the higher thirty eight thirty to right now. Traffic time from the.
Speaker 1: UC Health Trumphy Center. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. If you're at risk, trust the experts, and you see health for innovative and personalized heartcare. Expect more at u sehealth dot com. Southbound seventy five continues to run an extra three to four minutes through Lachland northbound seventy five heaviest between Mitchell and Town Street. There's a wreck on reading at the lateral Ingramont fifty five krs.
Speaker 2: The talk station AY nineteen here fifty five KRCD talk station Proirly represented District two here in Ohio. Congressman David Taylor on the phone day, finishing, pivoting over to some of the legislation you're sponsoring and dealing with the border again, if I maybe go back to that just for a moment, remain in Mexico Act and finish the Wall Act. Those are two things that obviously, if they were signed into law, would have a level of permanence that executive orders.
Speaker 3: Do not, right, And I think that's going to be the goal of this Congress to sort of following the wake of these executive orders and try to get them codified into law and so that they're longer lasting. And the good part here is, as you mentioned earlier, that we're seeing the positive effect of these executive orders in short order, So you know that will make those bills easier to pass. So I think you know, as much as you and I don't love the executive order, they are going to be helpful in actually legislating in this case.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a positive well, and the other positive is moving away to things that don't have a permanence. But Elon Musk and I keep reading all these angry leftist posts. He's a non elected official out of them, but he's not doing anything but identifying the fraud, waste, and abuse in government so that folks like you, Congressman Taylor can hopefully do something about it. He's been very effective in that regard lately.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. You know, what we've seen from from the Democrats since Dog especially was looking at us AIDS, they seem to think that people are more worried about how we found out the us AID funds leftist propaganda international terror than they are that us AID funds the leftist propaganda in international terror. I know, I think that the public at large is a little more worried that it's happening then how it finds out. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with the president appointing someone to look at what's going on within his bureaucracies. And this, you know, the us AID was was enacted by executive order by John F. Kennedy so if the President wants to look at it again, more than within his rights to do so.
Speaker 2: Well, And I'm quick to point out I don't recall anyone electing doctor Fauci when he was running the ship out there, and that terms of our medical care and and and covid is, among other things, and funding gain of function research at the Institute of Virology in Wuhan absolutely true.
Speaker 3: And the idea that to be involved in the processes of government you have to be elected, well, we'd be down to under six hundred people out here. Maybe that would be a good thing, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're on is something on that?
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The other thing is I'm always been an advocate for some measure of school choice. Obviously, I don't think anyone can argue that our public schools seem to be failing our children. And this is not intended to be an indictment on teachers themselves. They've got a tough job. But the scores are going down, the children are no longer thinking along the lines of critical thinking. We're failing and reading and mathematics. I see that you're behind getting rid of the Department of Education. Do you think that will have some sort of effect on allowing students and families to make greater choices in their education.
Speaker 3: I think that's just one of many benefits that would that would flow from the elimination of the of the Department of Education. You know, the terrible policies that are top down pushed from on the federal level to schools in our states are are uniformly ineffective to harmful. They sort of arrange in that uh, that near range. So not only do the local state and local schools have more resources, but they would be able to have, as you said, more opportunities for school choice. I have it does a great job with the voucher system, but it can be a lot better, Like with more resources in the state. My district which has fewer h you know, school choice options, would be able to have more school choice options. So yeah, I know Congressman Matthew has proposed this before, and God love him for it, and I've always been for it, But this time around, it it looks like it's got some traction from the White House as well. So now now seems like the time.
Speaker 2: It does seem like the time and Ford part company. I've just got to ask you, Congressman Taylor about the amendment of proposing the a membent of the Constitution the limit the numbers of the terms of members of Congress. I would think that you, probably even within the Republican Party, might have some opposition to that because well, that would eliminate their their their their their jobs.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there's what's right, there's what's right. I think that you know, we need to address the situation of term limits. I'm for term limits absolutely. Uh CO sign the bill to that effect and maybe the sorry the amendment, But you're right, it's hard to get people to vote against their own job. But in the language in the in the in the bill is such that you sort of exempt the people that are already here, so you get a little bit that self interest out of it. And it's it's an unfortunate carve out, but it's one that it's sort of necessary to give it a chance to pass to improve the situation in the long run. But yeah, I don't think you're supposed to make a career out of this. I think the founder's envisioned people having a life before and after politics, and you'll go out and have a life and bring some value life experience to Washington and then leave and make.
Speaker 2: Room for someone else and get back to running the Sardinia Ready Mix exactly. I hope they are okay without you for a while day getting stuck in the swamp, and I'm sure you got some great people there were running the show for you. Congressman David Tail, you always have a welcome spot here in the fifty five KRC Morning Show to talk about the issues legislation, the problems you're facing, keeping in touch with your constituents. Got a lot of folks from district too, and we always enjoyed having Congressman Winstup on the program. So I'm looking forward to more conversations with you, sir. It's been a real pleasure today.
Speaker 3: Thank you very guys. Have a great day, you do.
Speaker 2: The same, and a wonderful weekend. Eight twenty five fifty five KARSITI talk station. Phone lines are open. Feel free to call otherwise I'm gonna have to do local stories. So five one, three, seven, four, nine, fifty five hundred, eight hundred and eighty two three talk pound five fifty on AT and T phones. I'll be right back. This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station. The same