Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm WBS Costin's video.
Speaker 3: Massachusetts is a state that has a population just under seven billion, let's call it six point seven million or six point eight million. And we have learned today because of her freedom of information request that was filed by Taunton City Council candidate City councilor Kelly Duner Dougner. She's also running for a state Senate that we have issued in Massachusetts active two point six million EBT cards. Kelly Douner. Welcome to Night Side.
Speaker 4: How are you, hi, Dan, Thank you so much for having me. I'm doing great. How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, thank you for what you've done here. What caused you to issue this Freedom of Information Act request? And you submitted this this resist this request to the Department of Transitional Assistance in mid Septembers.
Speaker 4: I understand it right, yes, back on September seventeenth, I submitted it. I have been submitting public records requests since I believe, oh gosh, I want to say in March, we've probably submitted close to thirty if not more. Now, this all initially started back when the young female was sexually assaulted at the Rockland hotel. I had concerns with the hotel and taught and I just wanted more information on what background checks were being done and what they were finding, how they were coming up with the findings, just for safety reasons, being a young female myself. So it all kind of started back then. And then, as I'm sure you know, with the state budget operating in a deficit, the astronomical amount of money that we're spending, you know, we just decided to kind of, you know, just dig a little bit deeper. And back on September seventeenth is when we had sent that request, and we were just looking for truthfully, we were just trying to see if what kind of out of state spending was happening, or even out of country spending, like where was it in, you know, towards the destinations in Hawaii. So we were just kind of trying to get that sort of information. We sent a number of requests just looking for the transactions, where they were taking place, what the dollar amounts were that were taking place, and loan Behold, we got back the information regarding the number of EBT cards issued. So I could not believe it when I was reading the email firsthand that we went from you know, one point nine million to two point six million, which is a six hundred and seventy two thousand increase, which is just an astronomical number.
Speaker 3: What is amazing to me, and I want to focus on that number and put it in some context. So we saw some stories about a week ago, which I assume were stories that perhaps you shared with other journalists, which talked about people who were using Massachusetts' EBT cards in some far away places like Hawaii and Florida, places that I assumed that was information that you also had mined from the Department of Transitional Assistance.
Speaker 4: So called right, We've been trying to acquire that, yes, but it seems like, you know, every time we submit a new public records request, there's always some excuse as to why they don't have the information, and there's just a total lack of transparency. When I tell you, we just get pushed around from department department. Sometimes they'll make the excuse that, oh, we didn't see this email until now, and we're, you know, two three weeks into this public records for quaests. So then they you know, they deem that they're going to respond from that date that they magically found the email, not the date it was, it was sent to them and they received it.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. There's a lot a lot of you know, the political leaders on Beacon Hill talk about transparency, and it's anything but transparency. I mean, this is your tax dollars, my tax dollars that are being used. I don't mind if they're being used to help people who are truly in need. But here's here's my issue. And I'm hoping that numbers in the radio Kelly are always difficult, but I think there's about six point seven million people in Massachusetts. Is that a fairly close estimate as far as you understand that. I'm sure you've looked at that number.
Speaker 4: That's the number that I got as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so six point seven and there are now as of September first, two point six million people with active as I read this chart active EBD cards. That's a tremendous increase from a little more than a year ago, fourteen months ago July first, twenty twenty three, it's an increase of six hundred and seventy two thousand, So it's a it's a it's a thirty at least thirty two percent, thirty three percent increase in less than a year. But here's my question, and for those who are having trouble following the numbers, how can a state with six point seven million people have two point six million people with EBT cards?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And just to put those numbers into perspective, you know, we don't know the dollar amounts that are on these EBT cars. But for example, say there was five hundred on each of the new cards that was issued. So I'm just talking about that six hundred and seventy two thousand dollars increase. Say there was five hundred on every card, that's upwards of three hundred million dollars of taxpayer money that you know, and believe me, I wish we could help. You know, everybody I've said that, but I am. You know, something that bothers me in particular is that I was speaking with a woman while it was out door knocking and Wareham a few weeks back, and she was homeless at the time. She was living in the house of the door that I had knocked on with her two children. It was a coworker who was letting her stay there with the kids. She worked a full time job and she could not qualify for any sort of assistant. So this is a young mother, a single mother who's working a full time job to support her children and doing everything in her power to get by and do the right thing, and she did not qualify for assistance. So, you know, that kind of made me think, there's you know, what's wrong with this, there's something wrong with the system if it's somebody and this is somebody standing right in front of me telling me this. This isn't you know a story I heard from somebody like this was firsthand. She was relaying that story to me, and right then and there, you know, you know, I've been leading the charge, i'd say, in the sense that I want to amend the right to shelter law. That has been a top priority for me. So this kind of all goes hand in hand because I have a woman in front of me who can't get any sort of assistance, Yet we're providing this assistance to. At this point, I'm not even sure who we're giving it to. Because if we're not helping a woman like that who is in dire need of assistance, then who are we giving these EBT cards to? Is my question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that is my problem too. If they're going to use my sack my tax money, Okay, I want to make sure it's usedly and efficiently and help people who need it. I'm not opposed to that, but I am opposed to them taking tax money from all of us and spending it in a profligate way in which they have no idea. Who are the folks with these EBT cards? This number, which again boggles my mind, that just the raw number. If we're a state of six point seven million people and two point six two point six active EBT cards are here in Massachusetts, that means that, in theory, the six point seven million are providing EBT cards for two point six Now, maybe there's some duplicates, maybe there's some fraud, whatever. I'm not so much interested in that, because the fraud would be here or there or there. But there must be something in the system which has gone amok uh, And then there must be they must be handing these e b T cards out like you know people hand out I don't know when they used to hand out packs small packages of cigarettes in downtown Boston. You want an eb T card, you want any it It's it's frightening, it's frightening. To think that this amount of money which could be used to help people now is being drained off and in a way in which the state apparently has lost control of this. This program definitely tell you what I want to do is I want to invite my callers to join the conversation. What you would you have done here is hard work. People don't realize how difficult it is to draw up a Freedom of Information Act request which is in the proper form and therefore it will be accepted by the powers that be, and then to keep waiting and waiting and waiting for some information. I must say this that the letter that you were with this information comes from Lauren Pecone. She is the general counsel according to the signature of the Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Department of Transitional Assistance. So this is not a number that you're making up. This is a number that is being provided to you by the Healey administration. And I'm assuming that someone had to have looked at this number and sent it out and realized that once it came to you, as someone who's running for state Senate, that you might want a campaign on that issue. So I assume this figure is a totally accurate figure. I know that they have sent some clarifying information which we can go through, but I want to hear from people here at Massachusetts. You're running for state Senate down in the South Coast area, open, as we would say, an open state Senate seed, a longtime Democratic and company has decided to retire, and you are Yeah. I think you told me today. You're a thirty two year old woman, a Republican who was elected to the city council for the second time. So you are a young person who obviously has been able to identify an issue of great substance here, because a state of six point seven million people cannot support two point six million people on an EBT cards on an ebt card, that just makes no sense at all. We will open up the phone lines for Kelly Doner Douner six one seven, two five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three ten thirty. Feel free to join the conversation if I have any questions, Kelly has the answers. I'm I find this story just shocking. I realized there's been an influx of people who have come into the state under the right to shelter law. I get that, so there's been an increase there, but how big and inc I mean, we've been told that it's been you know, a few thousand people, but maybe we've been misled. I'm stunned by these numbers. Just put it in your head. A state of six point nine million people now has two point six million people on EBT cards. Maybe everybody should be on an EBT card, and should we could change the state the name of the state from Massachusetts to EBT card Haven Back on Nights Out with my guest, Taunton City Councilor Kelly Doner right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World.
Speaker 6: Night Side Studios on w b Z the news Radio.
Speaker 3: My guest is Kelly Doner. She is a taunted city councilor in her second term. She is a thirty two year old woman who takes her approach to politics quite seriously, and she has filed all sorts of Freedom of Information Act requests, which is really a service to all of us, Kelly, for you to do this, and let's go to phone calls and see what people have to say. We're going to start off with Bill in Chelmstred Bill in Chelmstreet. You first, this hour with Kelly Doner, a city councilor from Taunted.
Speaker 1: Go right ahead, good evening, Dan and Kelly.
Speaker 3: How are you We're doing great? Bill? Go ahead.
Speaker 1: This kind of this kind of hits me. I live in a town that borders, you know, a per capita incomes are different from towns. But the supermarkets, you got to my eyes, have been open for now months and months and months, and I sat last week in a line with a bill in front of me, a customer in front of me that had three hundred and seventy six dollars and all kinds of and I get it, you know, this is a this is a necessary thing for us. But bill was three seventy six. It came down to sixty dollars and twenty something cent. Okay, but some of the stuff that was in there.
Speaker 3: How did that build come down from three seventy six to sixty I've heard about class I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There was no coupons, know nothing on it. So I'm not sure how the system works or what the percents are. But what caught me off guard is that the window of the supermarkets right there, I see her cashier or a bagger helped her out to the car and she gets in a late model Mercedes Benz. Now, I don't know. I don't know how these cards are issued, and I was I'm hoping they're issued to people that really need it. But as I sit in lines now I see it more often than not EVT cards that come out in front of me, and you can see it right on the screen because the screen faces not only the customer, but it's a big screen and I'm not looking for it all the time. But it's just parent because sometimes the lights flash and somebody has to come over and take something out or whatever it is. But I think Kelly, Kelly is definitely onto something Dan, because this is a lot bigger than I think we think.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, let me get Kelly's response, and also I want to know, Kelly, you're down on the South coast. You're not near Chelmstron. How old are you, Bill?
Speaker 1: If I could ask, I am sixty one sixty one?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you've been around. So this is now appearing a little out of the ordinary to you. Okay, Kelly, your reaction.
Speaker 4: What Bill had to say, Yeah, So I'm gonna take it into a little bit of a different story, which is actually some information that I just found out tonight. A constituent representative, Matt Moore Tori, had reached out. He's also running for state Senate in a different district. But they had reached out because they received and eb KEY card and they were asking why they didn't understand why they received an EBT card. Come to find out, they never they never applied for this. They do not qualify for this card, but they did receive this card. And just to go a little bit deeper into that, they reached out to the same office, the Department of Transitional Assistance, asking why they received the card, and they kind of gave some sort of excuse along the lines of, oh, one of the children is receiving free lunch at the school, which was not the case, or it is the case, but the school gives free lunch to everyone. Child would not normally qualify for free lunch. That the person made that clear. So actually, I kid you not. I just found out this information probably ten minutes before I got on the air with you.
Speaker 3: Well, that is the pitch, that's much of the pitch that they should be breakfast for kids when they get to school, which is a good eye idea. Okay, and there should be free lunch for kids so that that never ever, which is a good idea, But where is the responsibility of parents and then the responsibility of the state start. And then if on top of that, you're going to say, well, if your kid gets a free lunch, irrespective of what your income is, we're going to pop an eb dcard and mail to you. Most people are going to say, thank you very much. How do I use this wonderful piece of plastic? Unbelievable?
Speaker 4: Well, and it's more, it's more unbelievable because this family they did not they would not normally qualify for school lunch, so they just happen to get it because the entire municipality gets it. However, they're not a family that would qualify. Therefore, that makes it even more concerning as to how this got sent to them.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely absolutely. I mean, if if you have a child in school who's going to get a free breakfast, free lunch, and and and you fall in that category where you need to help, I don't have a problem with that at all. And if you decide, well we're going to give every child the free lunch, Okay, Fine, we're gonna do it that way. But then don't pile it on and start sending out free EBD cards in the mail to anyone whose kids is in that school, because you can have you know, the you could, you could have a child from a from a really poor family who should get family should get an eb T card next to the family of the school superintendent's kid, or the school principal's kid, or lawyers in town, or the children of a talk show host or a baseball player. And they don't. They don't qualify other than the fact that their child happens to be in the school that's getting free lunches. Wow, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I built good than Kelly good luck. I think, really I've cat my eyes open for a while on this, but I think you're onto something pretty big. Builds not all wrong, it's not all fraught.
Speaker 3: Bill. If you have relatives or friends who are going to be voting down on the South Coast, they should be aware that Kelly's on the ballot. What's the district that you're in down there, Kelly? What communities obviously.
Speaker 4: Taunting yep, So it's the third Bristol and Plymouth, which consists of Taunton, Rainham, Carver, Middle Borrow tight in Berkeley, Wareham see konk Rahobis. It's Marion, very very large, large sect, so.
Speaker 3: You know large.
Speaker 1: I have relatives and Marion Kelley. Bill, you'll get their vote.
Speaker 3: All right, sons, great? Thanks Bill, appreciated. Kelly, we're going to take for a news at the bottom of the hour. Here we'll stick with our phone calls. The only lines that are open. There's one at six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty and one at six one seven nine thirty. This is actually the sort of change that a state like Massachusetts needs. Let's take care of people who need the help, particularly people who live in Massachusetts and have lived here. If we then have more funds to help people who have come here recently and they need some help, great, But the last thing we want to do is be helping people. You know, I don't deserve an EBT card. I don't know what you do, Kelly, you know for a living beside a city council. But I suspect you don't deserve an EBD card. But there's enough people who if they're sent in the mail for free, they're gonna use them. We've got a night's eye with my guest, Kelly Doner, running for state Senate in the district that comprises Taunton and many other communities on the South coast. Back on Nightside after this. If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on wz Boston's news radio, Branklin, Massachusetts, Matt, you're on with Kelly Doner, city councilor from Taunton, who's running for state Senate.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I had a question about if there's two point six million cards and there's seven million people in the state, are the children getting cards to just the adults, because then it's like multiplied to like three or four because the average households.
Speaker 3: Well, I had that exact same thought, Matt, because I don't think they're handing out EBT cards to children, although maybe they are.
Speaker 5: So it's like the whole state on welfare.
Speaker 3: Well, it begins to look that way when you look at their number.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then it's like, no, wonder all the jobs, like everybody's hiring, because like why would you get a job if you're going to get basically free food, free discounted rent and you're like you're living large. Like if you think about like their actual there's like no responsibilities there. They get all this assistance and at the end of the day, they're going to get fed fed well better than us because they don't even have to buy stuff on sale. I mean, it really is like a public health crisis because they're just buying junk food at the store, like three hundred something dollars with well, no, no.
Speaker 3: And again. But the bottom line, here's here's my question. How old are you? If I could ask Matt, you saw like a young guy mid thirties, mid thirties. Okay, so do you have a family?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And uh, and I work make way too much money to be on welfare.
Speaker 3: How No, No, I get that. I get that. But that's okay, that's good for you. It's good for you. But do you let me ask you Okay, well, let me ask you this. Do you begrudge your some of your tax dollars going to help people who really need help, really legitimately need help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like again, there's two point six million people out there.
Speaker 3: I mean, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, listen to me, Matt, Matt, I think I'm asking a question and I'm not asking it well enough. There are some people who do need.
Speaker 5: Help people transitional assistance like the actual but actual transitional assistance where like they get just enough to get by to encourage them to get a job, or if they're disabled, maybe help them a little bit more. But people, we'll be driving around and use the cities bends on a high interest loan because for the hell of it, pretty much No, that's a problem though.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying is that whatever money we have available to help people should help people who are in need of help. That's all I'm saying. I don't mind paying my taxes is going to help someone, but I do mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like, okay, my tax and we're going to put a numble on it will probably say two hundred thousand people probably actually need the help. The rest are just like free loading for generations.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I just don't know. Kelly want a quick comment of what Matt has to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And what I find the most frustrating is that I did meet a woman who was doing all the right things, was trying to get back on her feet. She was working a full time job and trying to support two children, and she was working over time just so she could feed them and she's not qualifying for assistance. That's where I have a problem is when we have people who are doing the right things and we're not helping them take that step forward. But you know, there's a lot.
Speaker 5: Of living through the roof. You guys were just we're supporting two point six million people, at least for the people actually doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: Exactly. All right, Matt, I got pack line. So I'm going to run, But thank you, my friend. I appreciate your call. I really do hope you continue to call the program. Thank you. We're gonna go next, gonna go to Chris is in Bunstable down to the Cape. Chris, you are next on Nightside.
Speaker 7: Welcome, Thank you, good evening. Dan and Kelly. How are you tonight.
Speaker 3: We're doing great, Thanks.
Speaker 7: Excellent. Yeah, So I was just listening and heard Kelly and you lay all this out, and I just wanted to call and thank Kelly for all of her great work on this and a lot of other issues. She's working hard for our constituents already, and you know, for people all across the state. You know, I heard her mentioned Matt Murratory, one of her fellow candidates. I'm actually another Republican running in the Cape and Islands District. Chris Low's on, So you know, Kelly's really shining a light on this. It really proves the need for more Republicans in office so we can have more transparency this one party government, I mean, there's no incentive to be transparent about anything, and we're seeing things like this happening all across the state.
Speaker 3: Chris, is this your first time? Is this your first time running for state Senate?
Speaker 7: That's my second time. Actually, I actually was on with you a few months ago, Dan.
Speaker 3: I remembered, Yeah, no, I do remember. I do remember that. How old are you? You're you are you in the same age bracket as Kelly.
Speaker 7: I'm a young guy too, Yeah, I'm I'm thirty what is thirty five now?
Speaker 3: So yeah, absolutely, And and you're the Cape in the Islands district And what's that You're the Cape in the Islands District For people who.
Speaker 7: Are listening, yes, yes, sir and everyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's an infusion of young people and people who want to see government work effectively and officially efficiently and help people who really need help. I mean that's a pretty simple platform, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yes, absolutely. It's all about doing the right thing. And to your point, you know, there are some of these people who do need this assistance, and I think most of us don't have a problem with that. But when you see an increase like that year over year, something's going on that's not right. So we need to shine a light on that.
Speaker 3: Well appreciate it, Chris. Thanks thanks for checking in. Best of luck in your race on caeping the caping the Islands.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, have a good night.
Speaker 3: Welcome you too. So there's a bunch of you out there running for office. That's that's good. Things shake things up a little bit. Let me go to Wendy and Hopkinton. Wendy, welcome next on nights side. You're on with my guest, Kelly Doner Doner of the Taunton City Council who's a candidate for States Senate down on the South coast. Go ahead, Wendy.
Speaker 8: Good evening to you, Dan, and to you Kelly, and yes, thank you Kelly for all you're doing. I know that public records requests can be painstaking and very frustrating. I just wanted to ask, and I only caught the tail end of the show, so I don't know what you guys discussed earlier on, but Kelly, have you thought of approaching the Attorney General's office to see if they would investigate it, maybe with in conjunction with MS picone, possibly looking into whether or not police officers in Massachusetts have had a history of encountering arrestees who have within their possession multiple EBT cards and starting there and maybe commencing an investigation into whether or not there is a history of persons in Massachusetts committing identity theft or identity fraud in order to facilitate the production of EBT cards on their behalf, resulting in persons having in their possession one.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a huge right right right now, Wendy Kelly is less than four weeks away from an election. If she gets in office, that might give her that opportunity. I think it's a great idea, But at this moment in time, I think she's she's pretty busy on this story and uh and running a campaign. Kelly wants your respond to what Wendy has to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, regarding this request, in particular with the EBT cards, I have actually requested that our state auditor, Diana is Auglio would do an audit, and I think it's important for for somebody to take a deep dive and to figure out where there is apparent there is a lack of oversight happening, so figuring out where that's stemming from, and you know, how we can combat it, as well as just you know, making sure at one point there were IDs with photos on the cards, So I think it's important that we get back to that, making sure that these cards have photos on them so that the people using them, you know, we can tell that that's the card that is a signed to them. So I think just having the auditor take a deep dive into this, and given the astronomical increase and the potential amount of money being spent with this, I think it's a no brainer. And I'm really hoping that the state auditor will step up and and do the audit on this program. It's desperately needed.
Speaker 8: All Right, that's a secorinary direction that sounds terrific. Thank you for doing that.
Speaker 5: I appreciate thanks.
Speaker 3: Thank you for well, thank you for calling the show. Wendy, appreciate it whole lot. Thank you much, have a great night. Thanks all right, go take a quick break. If you're on the line, We're going to get you in. I promised Mike, Annie and Charles, and we get a couple of lines that are still open and try to get as many as we can six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six one seven. My name is Dan Ray. Back with Taunton City Council of Kelly Doner right after this. Now back to Dan ray life from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio. All right, let me go next to Charles in Maine. Charles, welcome, You're next on Nightside. We're talking about a Massachusetts problem, but I'll get you in here. Go ahead, Charles.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dan, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine, sir. What's I can hear? You? Find?
Speaker 9: This has been irritating me for at least a week. I go come down here for a funeral in Massachusetts, and I have a niece that lives in a house, and I say, wow, how can you afford this house? Oh, uncle Charlie, I only paid twenty six dollars a month for my place. Yet she has a boyfriend who works full time and they will not get married. Then apparently she gets somebody to help her. Ten hours a week. Guess who's helping her? My sister. So my sister is getting paid to help her dog her from the state.
Speaker 3: And wow, what is the involved in the program?
Speaker 9: You guys are not even touching it.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you're giving You're giving ideas to the right person. Kelly Doner. Here is somebody who I think is probably taking notes. Why is your reason? Yeah, what's the reason?
Speaker 9: Well, the reason is because they all have different last names and they can't put it together.
Speaker 3: No, But what I'm saying is, what is the need that your niece has to have help? How old your niece?
Speaker 9: Well, TuS they've been playing this game for spell she's thirty four, thirty five years old.
Speaker 2: They've been playing this game forever, you know, the wealthy of game. Living with the boyfriend works. She gets in the house for twelve dollars a month. And it really last week when I came in and I went and visit her, and I'm listening to all this. I'm like, all week, I've been trying to think of what can I.
Speaker 9: Do about this?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 9: Yep, Wow, it's one and they've been doing it for thirty you know, they've been doing it for years.
Speaker 3: Kelly, your reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think that that's probably one one of many situations happening here in Massachusetts. You know, it is abuse of the system, and it's a problem across the entire state. And I think, you know, there's no real incentive when it comes to these programs to get people off. You know, and I've talked to people firsthand there. They could be working and they work a couple extra hours so their income increases, and then the state threatens to remove their assistance completely. So there's no real incentive to do better and work a little bit hard. You know, there's no incentive to get people off of the system, and that's a problem across all of Massachusetts. I know people who have experienced that, and they're working a job where they don't necessarily make enough that we get them there, So it kind of it backs them into a corner to work less and stay on the system because we really don't have a plan to help people get off the system here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Charles, thank you for that example.
Speaker 9: I think there's but I think there's a these people are doing it. It's a it's a I want to say, like a game for them, but it's it's It irritates me to think that I work so hard and that she has a beautiful home and a boyfriend that works full time and her mother sits with her ten or twenty hours a week.
Speaker 3: Wow. I'm hoping that that Kelly will get around to this at some point. This is the sort of abuse that occurs in a one party state. Charles, thank you so much for your call. I really enjoy I enjoyed talking. We hope you call again. Let me go very quickly. I'm going to try to get two in here. We're a little bit tight on time. Let me go to Danielle and Worcester. Danielle, your next one, nice, I go ahead.
Speaker 6: Hey Dan, two really quick things. One about the number of cards. So Wooster has been one of the cities before the.
Speaker 1: State.
Speaker 3: Danielle, this is a horrible connection. I don't know if you're on a cell phone or whatever. But let's see what I.
Speaker 6: Can get to another room. Is that better?
Speaker 3: Much better? Much better?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I just moved into a different room.
Speaker 6: So Wooster was one of the three in the beginning when the free lunch and free breakfast died. There's only three cities in the state that were awarded that was like Worcester, Lowell and Springfield I think. And then they opened it up a few years ago to the state wide and so with that came summer benefits for kids that went to something like that. So the people that were getting the free lunch and Worcester would get the EBT card. So a friend of mine would get it. She barely qualified, to be honest, but it's kind of on the border. But you don't need to qualify every All kids are entire get.
Speaker 2: The free lunch.
Speaker 6: So it's just been getting free lunch for years, like a long time now. But when you get the summer benefits, when they send that out, you get a card per child. So if you have three kids, and how's you getting three cards?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 6: And then if they extend it.
Speaker 3: I'm being educated here, Kelly, were you aware of Kelly? Were you aware of that?
Speaker 4: I know, Danielle, so that there.
Speaker 6: Is going to jack that number up tenfold. And then the part about getting off to them like outside of school lunches and all of that, you know. I like the previous caller about talking well, I think it was your guest too. I was talking about incentives. As an employer. I see this all the time, you know, can you pay me only this amount on the books and this amount on the table. I'm like, no, Well, I can't lose my this or I can't lose my bad And I'm like, listen, listen, listen, you're backing up the wrong tree. I'm not helping you scam, you know. But the point is they are in like some people I do feel bad for, because it's not truly that they're out to scam the system. They're petrified of little corner thinking. Enough with the job, So you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Danielle, again, we're losing you, Danielle. We're losing the signal. Here, do me a favorite, Danielle. Uh, you're a great call. You've always been a great call. Friends at College Hype are giving away and I will get for you a pink breast cancer awareness T shirt for College Hype. So leave all the information with Rob or Dan and we'll get that out to you. Okay, you're a regular caller and you do a great job. Thank you so much. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: I'll talk all right.
Speaker 3: To the callers in the line. I apologize to Mark and Stephen and Kathy. We just ran out of time. Kelly, how can folks get in touch with you or get in touch with your campaign if they want more information.
Speaker 4: Best way to get in touch with me would be my website, which is elect Kellydouner dot com. Everything in there comes directly to me and I would appreciate any help and support that I can get. Time we bring some balance back to Massachusetts and elect a senator who's actually going to represent the people in the district and the people across the state.
Speaker 3: Okay, and it's elect that's easy to spell. Kelly is k E L L Y and Douner is d O O N e er dot com. Elect Kelly Douner dot com. Kelly, thank you for this work that you've done, because it benefits not only people who you hope to represent in the state Senate down to the south coast, but it also benefits everyone in Massachusetts because this sort of abuse has to be taken out of the system, cleaned out of the system, not only for the for the taxpayers, but for the people who actually deserve benefits. They're getting fewer and less benefits because others apparently are abusing the system. You're doing great work, Kelly. Thank you so much. Thanks Dan, we'll talk soon, thank you very much. All Right, we come back. I'm going to next hour give away a matter of fact, probably well, I'm not gonna tell you when. I'm going to give away two tickets to the Tina Turner Musical. And we'll give away two tickets in the eleven o'clock hour to the Tina Turner Musical. So stay with us here at Nights that we come back. Next hour, I want to talk about Louis till Aunt, who's an incredible guy, an incredible baseball player, but an incredible human being. We'll be back on Night's side right after the ten