Speaker 1: The sports page with The Orlando Sentinel at FM ninety six to nine.
Speaker 2: In the games, Mike the Bulldog beyond you on jr R.
Speaker 1: Well, Bulldog, it's just me and you are f one insider. Taco Bob is off since the series is off this week. I guess he's, you know, enjoying some downtime.
Speaker 2: He's been well, he's been working hard, you know, keeping up with that over all these months and years. Sure, yeah, doing his research. Yeah. What about the Indiana Pacers. My god, they fuck the odds yet again. Last night blew out heavily favored Oklahoma City won a wait to ninety one in Game six of the NBA Finals. We got ourselves a Game seven coming up on Sunday night. So, man, the Pacers are. What an incredible story they are. They started out the regular season. I think they were like ten and fifteen during their first twenty five games. Then they make a run into the playoffs. We've talked a lot about the five comebacks from fifteen points or more down in the playoffs. They come back five times from fifteen or more.
Speaker 1: They got off to another slow start last night before then just blowing it open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were down. I think they were down ten to two early in the game, missed their first eight shots. Then over the next twenty four minutes they outscored the Thunder sixty eight the thirty two. It was such a blowout that the thunder starters didn't even play the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Did you see the stat that this is gonna be the first NBA Finals Game seven since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty wild. Yeah, good news for the Thunder. By the way, home teams are fifteen and four in the Finals in game seven, so that Sunday game is an okay. See. But I'll tell you what, if Indiana wins this game. I don't know what the narrative will be of Indiana wins games, Devin. Will it be that OKC choked because they were the heavy favorites coming into the series, or will it be that Indiana is just a bunch of gritty underdogs had a great playoffs. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've been I've been saying it since they've been doing all of what you just described throughout these playoffs. It's almost like Team of Destiny type stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we were calling the Magic the Gritty Committee during the regular season. I think Indiana is the real gritty committee what they played during the playoffs. So yeah, we'll see what happens. But Game seven is on Sunday. In baseball, did you see the team.
Speaker 1: Oh Hunter Biggie, who was just sitting in the dugout night in his own business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's u he's on injured reserve. He was, you know, standing on the top row of the dugout last night, and a foul ball just lined right into the dugout and it was with Baltimore Orioles catcher Adleie Rutchman, who's left hand. It just sharply pulls the pitch into the Tampa Bay dugout and right in the face of Hunter Biggie, and he went down like a sack of potatoes. I'm luckily it looks like he's gonna be okay, although he was, you know, taken to the hospital. The ball, by the way, came off for Rutchman's bat at one hundred and five miles prow God. You know, imagine normally.
Speaker 1: The picture that always has that in the back of their head when they're on the mound, that you're gonna get one drilled right up at you. You know, you gotta be on your toes there, but as you're in the standing there in the dug.
Speaker 2: House, good lord, yeah, Lynch, I want your opinion on something that happened that was sort of you know, under the radar in college football yesterday. And so there's a new amendment approved by the Florida Board of Governors, which oversees education higher education, State of Florida. New amendment yesterday where the state schools talking about UCF uf FSU, they can now allocate more than twenty two million dollars annually to paying athletes. All right, This isn't the NCAA saying, hey, you pay your athletes. This is the Florida Board of Governors saying that public universities can utilize up to twenty two and a half million dollars in non athletic funding to cover paying athletes. In other words, our state government is allowing college athletic programs to take money from the general fund of the university to pay athletes. Do you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I do understand what you're saying. And the general funds consists of money coming from.
Speaker 2: Where coming from the you know, taxpayer funded are general university.
Speaker 1: Can donors donate to a university's general fund.
Speaker 2: I don't know where donors can just continue. But the fact of the matter is this money is supposed to be used on educational purposes out of the general athletic fund or out of the general university fund. I don't like this. These football programs make plenty of money. If they can't pay their athletes out of their own budget, the state government should not be bailing them out with money that should be going elsewhere. That's my point on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, where I'm going with it is it just sound on from where you just described. Yeah, I know that's wrong. I would would give you that. But if if private donors are able to contribute to the general fund in ear market for athletics, I have no problem with that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think that would be permitted under it NCAAs. But who the hell is The fact of the matter is our state universities are now getting government auts to pay their players. That's the bottom line, and I'm not for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyway, Yeah, you got to keep up with you got to keep up with the Ohio States and the Texas you know of the world.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess by the way, Shadua Sanders two speeding tickets now, Jesus, one of them one hundred and one miles per hour, the other ninety one miles per hour. All have all both happened after midnight up in Cleveland. So I think that's a little bit of a red flag, don't you sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gonna be going faster than that at Pocono though this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pocono Nascar up in the Poconos. Have you ever been up in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: I may have driven through. I don't know. I haven't spent any quality time there.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Full up there? Yeah, and that and the race is always packed. They get fired up up in Pocono for the NASCAR race. I'm picking, by the way, Kyle Larson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're going out on a limbit there. How about College World Series getting started this weekend. We get a LS and Coastal Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as we said yesterday, Coastal Carolina. What a great story. You know, one fifty five games during the regular season this year. Now they're in the College World Series playing the the LSU, one of the premier powerhouses in college baseball over the last thirty years, so it's gonna be in an underdog. It's sort of like the NBA Finals. You got the underdog story and you got the heavy favorite. So hopefully Coastal Carolina gets it done.
Speaker 1: Mike the Bulldog Theyonkey. He is the host of open mic weekday mornings on a Jason tuss AM seven forty and FM ninety six to ninety game sports columnist for The Orlando Sentinel, and of course he takes a time out from his show to join us here for the sports page each morning on JRR.
Speaker 2: By the way, happy birthday to some musical legends Lionel Richie, Brian Wilson and the great guitarist chet Atkins who who Clinch and Taco are always on demand. Download their podcast daily on our free heart radio app. Get in now at w j r R dot com.