Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfi.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 3: In the high Tech Texan. Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 4: Have to make life.
Speaker 3: Easier new technology, and Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now your high Tech Texan Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: This week on a high Tech Texan show. One of the original video conferencing services that we used so many years ago has called it quits. I don't know when the last time you used it. With that is shutting down Google making it easier to remove your personal information from the web. That's a good thing, people, especially if you have something to hide. And how embarrassed are Tesla owners right now that they have to start hiding the name Tesla on their cyber trucks. People, We've got all that your questions and answers at three four six twenty nine Texan. That is how you're going to get a hold of me. Michael. Is the name Garf the first four letters of my last name Garfield. If we're really tight, love to hear from you. A big shout out to everybody listening terrestrially here as we approach oh our last full day of daylight saving time. I believe that's right, people, we got to set the clocks forward. If you were in Houston on KPRC nine fifty San Antonio, what is up? News Radio twelve Hundai and then Big D Dallas Mighty Mighty eleven ninety talk radio. Should you not be listening that way? Hey, thanks for listening to us on the stream. You can do that by downloading the iHeartRadio app. And then if you've missed this two hours of just just fun information, you could podcast. We podcast it right callum. Once we're done, he will put it on the podcast. Just look for iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple were over, great and award winning radio shows are replayed, not mine, but look for high Tech Texan. Glad you are here and let me start with this. This has been a very busy week in a very high caloric week. As I sit here in my city of Houston, people, I will say this, I am done with barbecue, and I'm actually I'm done with food for that matter. After three straight days of playing around at the world Championship Barbecue Contest, which was held between judging barbecue, judging steaks, sampling one hundred different restaurants around Houston about a week ago, four hundred and fifty bottles of wine which I did not touch. The wine, by the way, and then starting off with one of a new rodeo was at the rodeo just kicked off at Rodeo Houston. I was up in the Director's club thanks to a friend with all you can eat, all you can drink. This is this is not a it's a fun month, but you just yea yeah, gotta slow it down. And I say this to myself, but if anybody wants to take advice, because it's make sure you continue to exercise, strap on the running shoes, get on your exercise by go to the gym. But just you got it. And I've known this. This is not my first rodeo unintended, but I've done this for almost a quarter of century. Right now, I have too much fun sometimes and as I'm getting older, I just gotta slow it down. I gotta sew it out. So in no way we are on a no food don't even mention f O O d H for another week or two or three, I'm not even sure. And then we got March madness coming up. It's come on people, March is it came in like a lion. I don't know if it's like a lamb. It's windy, it's fattening. But oh think I didn't even participate Marti Gras. I didn't even have time for the Marti Gras. So for all you people doing who went nuts on Marti Gras, because let me help you out, it was more than a fat Tuesday. It was fat freaking March. I'll tell you what right now? And I guess what do you say to people who are who are in the middle of Lent? Right now? And this is a serious question because I don't celebrate Lent. Do you say happy Lent? Do you say clean your lint trap? Do you say? What? What do you? Because what is lnt? Actually I need to google this thing. Lent is giving up something for forty days that that that is to make your life better, to healthy or something like that. Because I hear a lot of people saying, well, I'm giving up meat, and I think, don't you give up me? But you have to eat fish on Friday? I mean, please, don't come to me for religion. Folks just don't. But people they don't. They give up drinking. They I don't know, they a number of shopping I don't know what it is. Whatever. If you're celebrating lent, dig into your belly button, see if you find any and I hope you're having a good one. However you are celebrating. There's a lot of so we got it. We got Passover coming up next, but the Eastern coming up, the very big religious time, religious time of year, but probably much more so than Christmas time. There's just a lot of back to back stuff. I digress because I'm trying to keep my mind off of food. Let's start with the fact that one of the original one of the original video conferencing service that you may have used, is actually fine. Finally, I think is the word shutting down and I couldn't believe it. Who remembers using Skype? You remember Skype? Skype was that first tool that allowedest to one of the first tools that got us to pretend like we were living in the Jetsnian age, you know from the Jetsons. If you remember watching that nineteen sixty era Hannah Barbara cartoon, yes, I know they have flying cars, and yes everybody has sky apartments, and yes, if you have to walk the dog, you got to go out on a you know, automatic little you know walking machine and you have to yell, Jane, stop this crazy thing. But it was always interested in me to me that they had these video televisions where if George was at the office and Jane or the kids were back at home the sky apartment, instead of picking up the phone call, they would just turn on the TV and they could talk to each other. And I just thought that was man, eyes, are we ever going to see that in our lifetimes? Well, we actually did, and we actually do and we realize it now on a very regular basis, if not several times a day via Zoom or be it FaceTime, or be a Microsoft teams and there's a number of these. But if you go back, people, one of the more popular, one of the first video conference application out there was Skype. Years after was created invented, Microsoft bought the company and to this day Microsoft owns it. And I think Microsoft said, you know what, we don't want to be in this business. Microsoft breaking News is doing It's doing away with its once popular video conference application Skype. Apparently they are streamlining their free consumer communication offering. But also, by the way, Microsoft has something else for years. It's called Microsoft Teams, and it did kind of, you know, continue to bubble up in my mind the few times that I use Microsoft Teams is why does Microsoft still have Teams and why do they still have Skype? Because Microsoft Teams, for the most part, is free. Yes, there is a business option too, but they just don't use it. If you still use Skype, people listen to my show more often because you really got to get it to the twenty first century. Skype is going to be around until May fifth, so we now have less than two months. It's going to give users time to explore. This is from Microsoft. They want you to explore Microsoft Team and decide on the option that works best for you now real quickly. Some alternatives to Skype. As I said, WhatsApp is very good. WhatsApp is a popular app. It is owned by Meta and that's the same company that owns Facebook and Instagram that works all over the world, same features as Skype, along with text messaging and voice and video calls and even group chats. Zoom without a doubt. Another popular alternative many people became familiar during COVID nineteen pandemic, and I think app is best known for its video meeting functions. Google offers something Google offers video conferencing called meat that replaced the old Google hangouts, And so anyone with a Google account can use Google Meet. And yes, if you're an Apple user, you can use FaceTime across iPhone and iPad and your Mac devices. We take our first break over here. I am not right now utilizing any of these video conferencing. Back in the day, I asked, I simultaneously did this radio show while using a video conference, and it was really fun. I mean this was way before Skype. I mean I set up an old fashioned webcam and I had a server. But it was neat because people actually got to see the magic behind the microphones. Like it's really sexy. It's just me and my hair doing a show. But when we come back, I'd love to hear from you. Three four six twenty nine textan send me a x or tweet high tech Texan Hi g h T E c h T e x A N Are you sad to see Skype go? What will you use? What's your most popular video conference? And then I'm I've received since this news hit a few days ago. I've received a lot of emails because I asked. I put out a little poll. What are some of the failed or apps or services or.
Speaker 4: Products and technology that you have used recently that are no longer around.
Speaker 1: We'll take a poll. We're here from you. It is Michael Garfield, the long running high Tech Texan show. I missed it before, but I would be remiss in reminding you that this is the weekend that we lose one hour of sleep. Now listen, this debate comes up twice a year pretty much. Why do we still have daylight saving time? Why don't we have one? And you're not going to get an argument for me, But you're not going to like my take because I actually prefer the winter months. I like when it gets darker a little earlier, and only because I love being outdoors and I'm a runner and living in Texas, I don't like running during the summer it's hot. I think about it this way because I think three steps ahead of everybody else. If it gets darker earlier, I know it's the fall in winter season, which means it's cool outside, which is better and easier for running and biking at longer lengths without fitzing during the summer. You see, this is how my mind works. And if you don't like it, I guess just to stop listening. But that's how I think about it. Either way. The point is, when you go to bed Saturday night, set your clock ahead one hour, you're gonna lose an hour of sleep. Now, many, many, in most objects that we have automatically will set your clocks forward or back, depending if you're in the fall too. Cars, newer cars do it. Your your cell phone automatically does it, which means if it's connected to your smart watch, that will do it. Now things that don't. If you have an old fashioned clock on the wall, you're gonna have to take you know, take your finger and just kind of loop it around an hour. A microwaves, A lot of older microwaves and current microwaves, they don't don't change. I've got a microwave, I've got to do it manually. I've got a clock on my oven that I have to do it manually. Other than that, computers do it automatically. Other than that, just don't forget. Because the last thing you need to do is I always forget this. I always tell people, if you forget to six o'clock forward, you're going to be an hour late to church on Sunday, or you're going to be an hour early. I still haven't figured that part out, but that is what you need to do so this coming weekend. So depending when you're listening to this or how you're listening to this, you can go ahead and do that and you actually should be set to go. You know, Scott finished talking about Skype and how it's shutting down, and I posted this, I think, on my ex account, and I asked a question. I said, is anybody sad to see Skype? Go it? And to that point, what are some of the products that tech products or services over the years or even recently that are no longer here that you miss? And I kind of compile the list and run through them. Now if I forget something I'd love to hear from. This is an interactive radio program Folks three four six twenty nine, Texan three four six nine t X A n If for some reason Callum doesn't feel like picking up the phone a voicemail, should pick up leave a voicemail, and if so, you you do give us the right to utilize your voice on the radio. The FCC actually just which I just took my annual class. We have to tell you that, but feel free to leave a voicemail. Somebody wrote that Fossil no longer makes smart watches. I actually forgot the fact that Fossil, which I think is based in Dallas, good watches, but they made a smart watch. Fossil ceased the production of their smart watches last year. Okay, that's pretty good, all you Apple fans. Apple last year they discontinued a few things. They had a blood oxygen sensor. They they discontinued the sale of watches equipped with blood oxygen sensors because they lost a patent dispute. Apple Pay Later, which I guess was different than Apple Buy Now, the buy now pay later service was shut down Dan they did that thing didn't last a year. Uh, and they reverted back to the traditional Apple pay model. I guess that's kind of like a layaway that didn't work. Someone put that the decline of physical media. The trend away from physical media continued with Best Buy stopping to sell physical movie discs. I do remember the news that red Box that was around for like two decades. They closed all twenty plus thousand of their kiosks. They fought for bankruptcy. And I mean when I say physical media, it's the CDs, the DVDs, the cassette tapes, the albums that we used to have everything. Now most everything is all digitized. What else died recently? The end of instant messaging services? I seq remember the letters man if you were a kid in the nineties, man and the letters I CQ. I think it was an Israeli They created an israel service and they created it because it was kind of a play on letters of the term I seek you S E E K you, like where are you online? Twenty seven years that was around that shutdown. Google shut down a number of apps, Google shutdown, Google pay, Google podcasts, a lot of number of things. It's sad seeing this stuff go. But as things go bye bye, things are also invented. I mean, I've been doing the show what Now twenty two minutes or something. I can't even tell you the number of startups that have actually launched around the world. And that's why I like talking about technology, tech related things, and I do get excited about that. And if you don't know, I get excited. If you can't hear it in my voice, maybe you can see it. And this is a good time to let everybody know and not that my radio show is heard terrestrially in Austin. That's the one big city I have yet to infiltrate, as we are heard in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. But if you're driving on WOAI has got a very big stick, you may pick that up in Austin, which Austin is probably my favorite city here. Obviously I'm a UT graduate, my mom's from there, the whole thing. But anyway, I very honored to say am the new technology reporter with the weekly segments on Fox seven in Austin, Texas. That's right, people, It took me thirty plus years after I graduated from UT with a Radio Intelligion Film degree. And when you graduated from UT and you had a RTF degree or even a journalism for that point, you kind of wanted to stay in Austin. You wanted to get a job, or you wanted to get an internship at one of the local TV stations. And you know, when I graduated, there was no Fox. It was ABC, CBS, at NBC and KTBC was a CBS station. It's now the Fox station that I'm on. I was never able to get on there. Whatever it thirty plus years later. Guess what, I guess you can always go home. I am now on KTBC Fox seven every Monday, seven forty five in the morning on their Good Day Austin. I will be there showing some products, talking about news, and I could not be more excited, along with a lot of the things that I do on Houston TV with Great Day Houston. It's kind of fun, very ironic. I was up there last week. I drove up Monday and just kind of meet and do my first little shot on the set in the morning. And I was less than one mile away from the UT Communications School. And so I guess everything that changes remains the same or whatever they say. So shout out to Austin. I continue, I don't know, before I get to old gray, wrinkly tired voice is shot. I'm trying to take this entire state of Texas, if not the country by storm.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 1: It's only taking me twenty three plus years of the high tech texts and brand to do it. So that is something new to and I am excited new things that we will talk about that just came out. I went down memory lane just now. In a few I talked about how I graduated college and now I'm in Austin. But I also before that talked about some of the products and services that we kind of grew up with or liked that they no longer exist. You know, maybe it's ICQ or Skype is now shutting down, which brings us the whole thing. Well, let's go back in time. I want you to think about this over this next few minute break. What were some of your favorite games you used to play as a kid. Now I have to define this. If you are under forty years old right now, I know you're gonna come up with a video game, all right, You're gonna go Super Mario. You gotta go Tiger Woods Golf or something like that. Okay, I'm kind of talking about over forty years old right now. What board games were your favorite? And I'm gonna go to Shoots and Ladders, Candyland, Monopoly. It goes on or not. There's a point where I'm going over here, and if you want to realize how tech is now infiltrating the old school board games, you're gonna have to stand by. We'll be right back and I'll tell you that's going just like that big booman boy said Michael, is my name, Michael guard Build. We're at the bottom of that first hour of my High Tech Textan show. Don't go anywhere we do. Thank you for contributing high Tech Texan on all the social media. Spell the whole thing out h I G H T E c h T e x a N. If you don't want to call in to three four six two nine T E x A N, that's how you're gonna get to me. You can post something like this subject we're about to hit. Go back back many years ago. If you're over forty years old or so, what were your favorite games that you used to play? And I'm talking board games. I grew up in an era and I was a young kid in the seventies where there were really no home video games. There were board games. And today, yes, there's still a board games, but I don't think youngins play board games like we used to because there's so much going on. I mean, we've got phones that do crossword puzzles. Now, we've got video games, we've got PlayStation and xboxes and Nintendo's We've got switches and twitches, we got everything. But back in the day, kids, Uncle Garfy, storytime. Here, pull up a chair, there were these things called board games from companies like Hasbro all right, and you would just on a rainy day, even a sunny day, you and your friends would sit there around a kitchen table of your buddy's house and you would just play Sorry, shoots and ladders, checkers. I was never a chess guy. Uh, the Game of Life. What was your favorite board game? You can just hit me at high Tech textan right now. And the reason I say is is these games still are here. But I saw this and this is it kind of brings a little nostalgia, but I love how the fact it brings technology into the world. Monopoly, pound for pound, Monopoly probably was my most played board game. And the funny thing is I could tell you years in years of playing it up at the street at my buddy Stuart Robinson's house with with Kurt Johnson. And again these are some little kid buddies of mine. I played that game so many times. I don't know if anybody ever won the game of Monopoly, because can you win Monopoly? Because it is the longest freaking game ever. It just went on and on and on, and I always wanted to be the banker because I don't know. It really did help me with my math, because I'm pretty good when it comes to numbers, and I always had to be you know, there was these little tokens and you could choose that the top hat, the iron. I had to be the race car. I mean, I was a baby. It's like, I ain't playing if I ain't the race car, or I'm not the banker, I ain't playing. But anyway, whatever, if you were the banker, you can kind of cheat too, but that's neither here nor here nor there. Well I saw this. Hasbro has announced a new version of Monopoly, and it simplifies the game by replacing cash and the banker with a mobile app that handles all the games transactions. Okay, I'm sorry, I may have to play this game again. That's pretty cool. It's called the Monopoly App, Banking game and a smartphone where a tablet takes over the role of the banker. It keeps track of every player's money and properties. It's pretty good. So they announced this thing. Apparently it's coming out later this year. It's gonna sell for twenty five bucks. But the game board, yes, it's a board, it's an app. It's a board game, but use an app. But apparently they it's the same layout with the traditional version. But what do they they don't have They're trying to make a kid friendly, so they don't have park place and boardwalk, which were the most valuable properties. And now it's a rocket launch pad in the moon, and there's like I think they put a chocolate factory, a virtual a VR roller coaster, a dinosaur park. Anyway, apparently everybody selects the token and a matching bank card and property cards and you scan them and are recognized by the app. I like it is this gonna? Is this gonna slow the game down even more? Because I'm square. I don't know if I've ever finished the game of Monopoly three four six twenty nine Texan three four six nine texts, Hey, Mike, Okay, here's something, Oh Mike, what about card games? How about go fish Solitaire? You okay, you always had a I always had a deck of cards around, but you know you with your I mean, we're not playing My buddies and I when we were like nine or ten, we weren't playing poker. No, we were playing colorful games from like Hasbro and in all these other things. We were eating cereal and we were watching Saturday morning cartoons. People. It just if you're under forty, you just don't understand it. Man, if you're under forty to understand. And here's another thing that's way begone days. I had a conversation with my uncle. So I have an uncle who lives here in the same city with me and my aunt. But I was talking to my uncle. I don't know, we got We got on the subject of newspapers or something, cause I think my name was in the Houston Chronicle. But I used to subscribe to the actual newspaper. My gosh, I'm dating myself to sound so old. Uh, And I don't have it, but we've got to, you know, I he I don't laugh. But he subscribes to the newspaper still, And he tells me this, and I literally stopped and looked at him. I'm like, are you the only person on your block who subscribes to newspaper? And he he said yes. He goes he does not remember seeing any other physical newspapers laying in front lawns, and again, if you're under forty, you still don't even know what I'm talking about right now. Anyway, Uh, he's he's if I guess. If you subscribe to the Physicals newspaper, you get an online account. Anyway, I have his username and passwords. So I've ever wanted to see something in the in the Houston Chronicle or actually at the Dallas Morning News. I have my parents account number two because I think they still get a newspaper. Man, I'll tell you what they like. When I started this show twenty three years ago, I did subscribe to the newspaper. There was no such thing as a flat screen TV. There there an electric car. How is that even possible? How long could the do they make the cords to plug in your car while you're driving? Woo people? Things have changed and I have to change. It is great. Cell phones have changed. Speaking of cell phone, new cell phones are coming out. I told you a few weeks ago, Apple announced some allegedly cheaper phone which wasn't too cheap. Mobile World Congress is going on right now. Which is that's in Barcelona, which I've never been. I've been to Barcelona, but I've never been the Mobile World Congress. It's like the S it's like the cees. Specifically for mobile phones. Mobile World Congress, Samsung announced a few things Samsung. They announced the A twenty six and A thirty six. Now this is not their S series Galaxy phone. This is similar. It's not as fast as a chip, but they're pretty inexpensive. Yes, folks, there are such things as inexpensive phones. The A twenty six two hundred ninety nine dollars, the A thirty six three hundred and ninety nine dollars, A lot of the A series apparently they got upgrades that match kind of what we saw from this S twenty five, which I went to San Jose for the big announcement with in January. I would get these. I mean, you know what, going back to my uncle just now, how I just my uncle who who still subscribes newspaper, He does have a Galaxy A series, not an S series, but and he likes it. Come to think of it, most all of my things, I'm not an Apple guy, but most all my family actually is an Android guy. That maybe somebody out there actually listens to me. Maybe they do listen to me. But between now and the next week, I'll get more news and press releases coming out of what was launched at Mobile World Congress. I'll see some international phones that will not be launched here in the US that are bigger, stronger, faster, thinner, cheaper and whatever. But the it's nice to see that Samsung, what mini companies also are releasing phones that aren't a thousand dollars or eighteen hundred dollars. It's nice to see something in the three hundred dollars range. But that's one of the many, many things that I do that I talk about on the radio, that I will show off should I get samples and demos on my TV segments, that there are phones that you do not need to pay an arm and a leg. There are the phones that are not made by a company that is the same as a fruit. And that's what I'm here for to give you alternatives. Three four six twenty nine textan Michael Garfield is the name. We're gonna take one final break this first hour when we come back. Google just made it a little easier to remove your personal information that you don't want on the web. Can they like erase like ex wives and girlfriends? Then then I'll be excited.
Speaker 4: But stand by and said, we'll tell you how this works.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna go back on my word. I told you I wasn't going to talk about food anymore, because this past week I've done nothing but judge barbecue steak restaurants, everything for the Rodeo Houston and what was going on with the Barbecue Cookoff. But this is the time of the show where I do want to recommend if you are hungry and if you are still eating Cobo bobs. Cobo Bobs four locations in Houston, one in San Antonio, mini in Austin, Dallas sucks for you. You don't have any yet. You need to get down and try some cowbo Bobs. Unbelievable. Go through the line. You can watch them. You pick one of five tortillas, okay, and they will press them right fresh for you and they are massive. They will stuff any type of thing you want in your burrito and they are massive. You can make a case Adiya. The chips so great. It's just I discovered cowbo Bob's. When was it, I don't know, probably by six years ago or so, maybe seven. Now that was an awesome because I visited my son in school and when they came to Houston. I just I was beside myself. It is great. I go to the wine on the southwest side and Stafford the Meadows right on Highway fifty nine. There's one on Mason Road. There's one Chimney Rock, fountain View area, over and se and Felipe. Please do go have some lunch, take it on for dinner. They were open six days a week.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Chick fil A stole their business model. They're not open on Sundays. But Cabo Bobs is it stand by Between now and the end of the show, We're going to give away a twenty five dollars gift card Cabo Bobs. I'm not particularly hungry right now because I've had so much food over the next last week or so. Okay, I'll probably eat between now and the end of March, and so I will go to do me some Cobo Bobs. In the meantime, we continue the high tech textan show. Michael is my name? How many times have you continue to think that your personal information on the Internet is just way too much? Well, it is, but welcome to the world that we live in the twenty first century. Anything that we do, any movie that we make. It's like enemy of this date. It is. Our information is out there. How do these companies know what we were looking at online to send us up a marketing ad of what we're looking at? I mean, it's just it's uncanny. How do you remove I get to ask this a lot. How do you remove some of your personal information out of search results so you're not found, so your information is not there? Honestly, it's almost impossible. It is very tough, and you used to have to jump through hoops and steps and try to contact someone. I don't know if it be a Google, be whatever the service you're used. It's crazy. But news this week, which actually seems good news if it does work. Google just announced that it is making removing your personal information from search results easier. I like it. I like the headline on the forefront. Okay, so when you search for yourself, what do we call that? Self searching? Ego ego searching. If you search for yourself and you see a link that contains information like your email address, your home address, your phone number, you can request to take it down in just a matter of seconds. Now this new feature, it's part of Google's results about you Okay. It's called Results about You, and it's a tool and it monitors the web for your personal information. It alerts you when new search results contain it. Now, if you've never set an alarm of let me know when more information is out there and you can get it alert, you may want to go to Google and actually do that. But this is something new. It's called Results about You, and I'm not that familiar with it, but after reading it, I'm like, okay, I can dig it. At least I'd like to see. Google's trying to make it easier. So to use the new feature follow me here. First you search for yourself on Google. Now, this is it. Now I'm going to say, I'm gonna listen. Long time listeners know that I got some quirks. Okay, who does it? Whether you believe it or not, I'm a different cat. I have never in my life had a sip of coffee. Don't want to, won't try it. That's the way it goes. I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. I mean, I can go on and on, all right, I'm just weird. So when I say this, I want you to take it to heart because I am not lying I have never searched for myself on Google. I have never put in another you know why, because I don't want to see what's out there. Not that I'm hiding anything, because I'm not. I don't need the ego search.
Speaker 4: Should I as a public figure, because I do radio and TV and whatever for twenty place years.
Speaker 1: I probably should. I don't.
Speaker 4: Just who knows it's out there? Not the point. If you feel safe, search for yourself on Google. Type your name and Google Now.
Speaker 1: If you see a result that contains your personal information, you tap the three dot menu, a little three nt we call it a burger whatever it is called the three dim next to that result. Once that comes up, you choose the option in the window that says remove result, and then you choose the option that says it choose my personal info and I don't want it there. And that's about it.
Speaker 3: Pokes.
Speaker 1: That's it. Google's gonna review request. They say they're gonna get back to you it in a few hours, maybe a few days. You keep going, repeat that for other search results you want taken down. Now strict keep in mind, Google's not gonna approve all the takedown request, and even if a result is removed. It's only gone from Google Search, not the original website itself. That's a whole different can of worms. But if you want to, if you want it completely gone, you're gonna have to do a takedown request with the original site and good luck with that. I have not tried it, but the fact that this is coming from good resources and press releases and everything. Feel free to try it, and if it does work for you, I would love for you to share it with me. And if not, I'm gonna search for you and I'm coming and get you. And again, search for yourself on Google. If you see a result that could change your personal info that you don't want up there, tap the three dots right next to it, choose removed result, and then you know, shows my personal info I don't want there. That's it. Okay, I dig that, man, I dig it. Google trying to make things easier other than the fact, trying to make sure that we do pay them in some way, shape or form, just like YouTube. That's right, YouTube owned by Google. YouTube just launched something new. Let me quickly get to this before the top of the hour. YouTube just launched a seven dollars ninety nine cent per month advertising free. It's called Premium Light subscription YouTube not YouTube TV. I wish it was seven ninety nine YouTube itself. It's a new premium subscription. It's called Premium Light, and it's gonna let you watch the most videos ad free for about eight bucks a month, so you can watch videos across gaming and fashion and beauty and cooking and news, whatever you gotta do it. Okay, this is ad for not the real premium, which is fourteen bucks a month, which is gonna let you download and play things in the background or watch music videos without ads. No, no, no, this is a light for eight bucks.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's whatever I watch YouTube not that often. I'm more than happy to sit through a few seconds of add role, just like you're allowed to sit through a few seconds of ads, well maybe a few minutes of ads on this radio station, you see, we hear at iHeartRadio. We keep things for free, and we do that because we love offering free content, and all we ask from you in return is not to pay us. Just listen to our commercials. We hope you actually utilize them, and then we talk about companies like Cowbo, Bob's or whatever I just mentioned. We'd love for you to PATRONI them a shop there and that's all we ask. Do you have to know? Hope you do, absolutely do when you're gonna judge you seven ninety nine, thirteen ninety nine, any of that stuff. Difference between old school good stuff.
Speaker 4: Like good old fashioned radio and all this new high pollutant online subscription stuff. I've anything like this stuff that I adds you. Could you information Listen hour number one, OBA, do me a favor, hang tight, give me about five or six minutes because at the top of the hour, listen to some of the ads, because when.
Speaker 1: You come back, you got one more hour of free brain day. That's how you go. Michael Garfield high Tech Textans Hill.
Speaker 3: Hiexan is Michael Garfier Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 3: The high Tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech.
Speaker 3: Texts ad technology and Michael Garfield has something you might want on.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now you're high Tech Texans. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: One hour into the show, one hour ago, not a mathematician. I play one on the radio, but that means we're halfway through the show, which means we're a halfway to a happy hour. You're probably listening to this on the weekend. Happy hours should be going on. If you're listening on a Saturday, you've got a few hours to get prepped and set that clock one hour forward. And if you're listening on Sunday, especially if you hear it in Dallas and San Antonia, well guess what. I hope you set the clock ahead, baby, because you lost one hour of sleep. You're tired. I will try to talk as low as possible so you can comprehend. But we need to stop this. It's a lot of michigans. I don't know why are we are we? Are we happy with one part of the year. Why do we keep going back and forth? It's it's too tedious, as somebody figure this out somehow. All my life we've done this, but I don't know a lot of the uh, the devices that we use, they automatically set clocks forward in back cars, smart watches, obviously they're connected to your cell phones. They do that, but still don't forget to check your microwave don't forget to check your oven. How about the clock on the wall, take your little finger, rewind it, put it forward, go check it out. And also don't forget. By the way, I must remind you to check the battery in your smoke alarms because this is you know aw I say, I actually grew up listening to those PSAs. Set your clocks for spring forward, fall back, and check your smoke alarm batteries because the last thing you want is that thing going off at two in the morning. It's it's not fun. I'll give you the number here three four six twenty nine Texan. Feel free to call ask questions, Say hi, way in on anything, Tell me a Joe, I don't care. Did you love the Oscars? I actually I caught a little. I thought Conan O'Brien was awesome. He really was. I think ratings were down a little, mostly probably because no one saw pretty much nine out of the ten of the nominated movies Anora the hell was that man? You never heard of it until last Sunday Night walked away over everything? But Conan was actually good. Say whatever you want to talk about. I am your guy. Three four six twenty nine Texan for some reason nobody picks up other than voicemail. Leave a voicemail, then we do have a right to play your voice here on the radio. I talk about a lot of things, including cars and trucks. For fifteen years, I have reviewed and test driven. I think I just hit my nine hundredth vehicle, kid you not. This past week I was in a Lexus UX three hundred F sport. I don't do a lot of Lexuses. Not bad. It was gas, luckily, because I needed a gas car because I needed to drive from Euston to Austin to Austin. I had two test cards this week, and I also had a Chevy Equinox, which is good, but it's an EV. I like EVS, but we're not gonna go through this again. I personally wouldn't buy an EV because all of a sudden, I just make up my mind to go from Houston to Dallas to Austin to San Antonio. I don't want to sit there and plan out my trip like I'm on TRIPLEA to charge the car, and I have ADHD and I don't have the patience to sit there and wait forty five minutes to an hour for the thing to charge. So luckily, even though the Chevy Equinox EV good price, good pickup, absolutely looking into that thing. But luckily I had a gas powered card and this time it was Alexis UX three hundred f good little plastic key, nice little pickup, not a huge car, four door fit you know it fits nice. Two people comflip potentially three small people in the back got me to Houston to Austin so I could do my TV stuff good and I was pretty happy with that. A little overpriced for what it is, but you know, if you want the full review, check me out. Go to Spotify. It's the podcast look for high Tech Texan. I have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of reviews to steer you see see what the punt I did in the right direction or the wrong direction. Now, speaking of vehicles, I refuse. I absolutely cover the car industry, the automobile, the vehicle industry a lot. And this was kind of interesting, surprising, really amaze me how far people go. Now we're going to talk about Tesla. Now we know who owns Tesla. It's Elon Musk. Now it is a Texas based company, so a we got to love that. Thank you very much for buying it in the revenue coming into a great state. A lot of people. Again, as I try to stay away from politics, they're some people. I'll just say some. I won't even say a lot. Some people maybe not be too happy with Elon right now for whatever he's doing or whatever he's not doing. Don't know, don't follow the news whatever it is, but Tesla and I'm reading this. This comes from Marketing Daily News, which I it's a reliable resource because I get a lot of my information. Tesla owners seem to be finding creative ways to distance their vehicles from the founder and CEO, Elon Musk, because they fear vandalism of their Tesla vehicles. And I'm looking at a picture right now, So City with the article it's a Tesla cyber truck and on the back of it in big letters, somebody went to office depot and just got some of those pelon stick on letters and they put the word Toyota. In this case, they're not making fun of Toyota. They're unsuccessfully trying to remove the test slow logo and let people think it's another manufacturer not getting you. People are putting stickers on vehicles in different variations there's even one that somebody put a sticker says, and I'm again I'm quoting an article quote, I bought this car before I knew Elon was crazy unquote. Can't verify that. Not trying to spend rumors, I'm reading this, but some owners right now they're removing the Tesla logos from their vehicles and they're replacing with badging from other automakers, between Toyota, the Honda, Audi did they just don't see it. That makes no sense to me. And I'll say this right now, don't do that. It's just at some point that may ask for more vandalism. You know what a cyber truck is for as ugly as it is. In my honest opinion and my personal opinion, I don't care if you slap a Cadillac, put a BMW, put a Mercedes. I know what that thing is. You ain't fooling me. I know what you know. The other Tesla series looks like just stop it. Then I heard during Marty Grass there was a Tesla. There were cyber trucks driving up and down Marti Grap parades and people were booing them. Man, this world is just a it's a it's a strange place right now. I'm not going to comment on it. I really try not to. But it's just you're you're booing a vehicle in a parade. What's what's up? What's what is up? People just thought that was interesting. If anybody loves their Tesla, I'm here for you three four six twenty nine, Texan if you want more play. But if you were in the market for a specific, specific vehicle right now, maybe it's a minivan. I I was in a Kia Carnival about two weeks ago. Gave my thoughts in that. Right this week, what am I in?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 1: I got two vehicles this week. They just delivered it. Oh, I'm in a mas To c X ninety Premium plus and it's a PEV, which means the plug in a high hybrid electric vehicle. I'm not a big I'm not a huge fan of plug in hybriate. They're only going to give you what thirty extra miles if you plug it in to me, doesn't make sense. But this is what I do. You tell me three four six twenty nine Texan. What do you want to buy? What are you thinking of? I will tell you unbiased Nope, it's not I don't get paid by any but no dealerships pay me. The manufacturers don't pay me. This is Michael's content and that is what's key. Three four six twenty nine Texan. If you're too shy to call, just log online and go to any of those social media's high tech textan spell the whole thing out h I G h T e C h T e XA with that bright number one of this outline, We're going to be right back. I'm a high tech texting show. Looking at some of the events coming up this month now that it's a lot of events mad between the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, we got south By Southwest and Austin. If you're tuning in in big a shocking the high tech Texan who I probably should own south By Southwest especially it's because it's one of my favorite cities of Austin, Texas, and I was there thirty forty years ago, when obviously, you know, I was a young kid when everything started. It's growing into this massive thing and I don't even go. I think I've been once for a day or two. Obviously I focus on cees. But anyway, if we're going to south By Southwest. It's a movie festival and technology festival that I should be all over, neither here nor there. We got a few more weeks. If you're into home and garden shows, there is one in the northwest Houston area. It's the cy Fair Home and Outdoor Living Show. I used to go to the show a lot. Broadcast asked give some I did it like a seminar. Tony Wood from a text Wood Shows really does a nice job of putting on these big home in outdoor and garden shows springtime. If you're out and about looking for you know, gardening ideas or home saunas or roofings or cement or whatever, I actually am planning to be out there. I'm gonna be out there. I'm gonna go out there on Sunday, what's March twenty second, March twenty third, And if you want to come, say hi and meet me and stuff, and I'm gonna be out there on behalf of Roboock, which is the ultimate robotic vacuum cleaner. Again, it's a home show, and there's these things called smart homes, and I'm trying to bring in more. You know, I'm one of the guys with a big mouth, and he has to try out so many of these cool things that go around your home. Home Robotic Roboock just came out with a vacuum and mop Vacuum slash Mop. It's a stand up unit, the F twenty five. I'm gonna be out there demonstrating it, recording some radios and podcasts and so. It is sci fi Home and Outdoor Living Show. It is March twenty second, March twenty third, starts at ten in the morning on Saturday, eleven in the morning on Sunday. And the admission wait for it, fr ee. My favorite four letter word, it is freeze. The Berry Center in Cyprus, Texas. There'll be a lot of boots out there, and I'll mention this in the next week or two, but I hope to see out there.
Speaker 4: MG.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield, The High Tech Texans Show News around the world. Actually it is around the world. It's how many of you are frustrated when this is this is first world problems. You're on a plane and we're used to Wi Fi. Now, most every commercial airline has some sort of a Wi Fi where you can stay connected to the ground. Now, granted, some airlines wi Fi systems satellite, you know, which obviously is operated by satellite. They really don't have this long cable. They don't have like a Cat five cable, you know, from the tail the plane going down to the to a airport. Now it's satellite delivery. Some of them are spotty. I am a big Southwest Airlines guy, and for a long time I've used Southwest. It's Southwest is not the fastest Wi Fi I've been on. I think I've used American, they used, you know, they used there's a lot of these third party companies. What it's like Bungo. But do I bring this up is because I saw a little something that Starlink in Starlink again shocking one another one of Elon Musk's companies. It's a satellite service and they are starting to roll this thing out to commercial airlines. And I just saw that United I think they just put the first Starlink Wi Fi satellite system in some of their planes. They are going to upgrade its entire fleet and yeah, they just updated with mo was this this is Friday. The first Starlink equipped regional regional plane is ready to fly. Regional or not. I don't know what region is flying in. And the interesting thing is, because I did a lot of research on this scene, it is not cheap. It is not quick to retro fit a plane, and a lot of planes are relatively old, so you have to go in and you've got to rip up seats and rip up the cabling or ad cable. It's not cheap and it's not easy to have. United said it took only about eight hours to install the equipment, which they say is about ten times faster than installing other types of Wi Fi technology, which means they're going to upgrade about forty planes each month starting in May, and they have a goal of equipping the entire fleet of two cabin regional aircraft by the end of the year. Okay, that's cool. I want to know when they're going to do the I don't want to say real planes, but the non regional, the the big boys, the big jets. And I'm telling you right now United, and I know United has a big presence in Houston obviously used to be Continental Airlines here. When and if you want to prove how fast your starlink Wi Fi system is, I the high tech Texan himself, Michael Garfeld, who has been a presence in the technology world in Texas for well over twenty years, and I have broadcasted my show from so many places around the world. Right, I want to broadcast my radio show from a moving airplane, from an airplane up there, which nowadays with the technologies, all I need I need my computer, microphone and headphones, and I need a fast internet connection. Shocking to most of you people, because you think, you know, we have all the studio and the satellites and the microphones and the producers and the service. Yes we do. That's the second part of it. You know, we relay our live voice to these radio stations with the satellites and towers. But it can eminate pretty much now from anywhere that we have an Internet connection, so united. You want some fun publicity pr elon my man starlink, Happy to do it, big promotion. I want a water cannon, you know when the plane lands. That'd be awesome. Maybe they let me actually sit right seat. Now, you know, I don't want to be the full captain. You know, maybe I could just got to sit there and you know, maybe do a segment from the right seat, just you know, and obviously I bring a video camera, do the whole thing. I would love to do the high tech textan show heard around the world, and I heart radio and I want to broadcast it from a plane using high speed internet. I have long wanted to do this, but internet speeds need to be relatively quick, so we can, you know, get the voice back up and down to the Earth satellite the whole thing. So anyway, there you go. That's that is a goal. The other goal is to fly on Air Force one. Okay, non political. I don't care who's the president. I just I just want to say Air Force one. I'll give you the phone number here other cool places that suggestions I should broadcast the show from three four six twenty nine Texan four six two nine T E x A N. That is how you're going to get me. You could find me on all the social media outlets, most all of them high tech texts and Hi g H T E C H T E x A N. I've done my show from the beaches of Mexico many times in a partnership with a lot of resorts over the years, kind of partnered. They've flown me and some of my producers down there, and I'll tell you how far technology has come and I told you right now, we probably could do a radio show, a live radio show from a moving airplane if if, if the internet is fast enough. Back in the day when we had to do live radio shots, there are several ways to do it. I mean, going back, even before I was in radio, there was the there was radio trucks that you would see driving around town, and you think they're promotional vehicles. KTRH seven to forty news. There's my KPRC nine to fifty am. You know, there's all the WAI twelve hundred. They would have these trucks with this big antenna that would raise up all right, not when they're moving, but they're parked in front of you know, maybe a sporting event or something, these big in hit as. They would rise up in the air twenty thirty forty feet in with an antenna, and the antenna would point to the receiving antenna either at the radio station or at the radio kind of the radio farm, if you will, in the outskirts of the town. And these trucks were these trucks and antenna's they were called Marty m ARTI I believe they were called Marty trucks. And I had just gotten into radio when these Marty trucks were being phased out. But that's how you had to do this live radio shot. And you just better hope. I don't know if it was a clear line aside or whatever. Then when I and again let's go back to two thousand and two, when I started radio two three, two thousand and three, four five, six seven, we were able to buy the get these devices and plug a phone line, an analog phone line, the copper phone line, a pot, it's pots, a plain old elevance service fount and we would connect to the studio with via fax. And man, I am really aging and dating myself over here. So we would so we would be at like a home and garden show. And actually we used to do this from like the Scifare Home and garden show that I just mentioned a few minutes ago. So we would have an engineer on site. Dave Obert used to work You love David. I think Dave still worked with us here at iHeartRadio. They used to hear Dave Obert, great engineer. He would come out there with all this gear in a truck in a box on wheels, set up this table, put the headsphone, the headsets, and we'd have to have an engineer to make sure it's all there, and he would dial in this phone number, had this local seven to one to three phone and would dial into our radio stations I guess server for lack of a better term. It's a receiving thing. And they would connect and you can kind of hear it like the old fashioned bod rate. You know, there's this high pitch signal goes before it connects. I'm losing half my aut three Where is my audience right now with this story? But that's how we did. And then the products these devices got smaller, so much so that I actually went out and I bought my own and it was probably about a thousand bucks fifteen hundred dollars. It was a little investment. It was called the Blue Box, all right. Comrades was the name of the company. And this allowed me, because I knew how to connect it, I didn't need an engineer, not that I'm smarter than engineer, but it was pretty you know, self sufficient. I could travel anywhere. I could go on vacations. Now again, my show has always been on Saturday for twenty plus years. I mean I could rarely go on vacation with the family because I couldn't. I had to work weekends. Now I can travel anywhere, and we used to vacation and meet the kids were young. We used to vacation in southern cal all the time, and so I would we would rent a house. We would. I mean I could do it from the beach. As long as I pull I plugged in a telephone cord, it would connect, all right. That went away along with plain old telephone service line.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Now we could do it via the internet with a high speed. We could do it on Wi Fi. It's gonna be high speed. But also when we could do it, we could do it from home. We just have to plug you know, the internet in because generally you're gonna get faster speeds with direct broadband versus versus Wi Fi. That is how far we have come. So if anybody has a suggestion, I have done my show from jeez man and just the mountains of Colorado, the beaches of California. Yeah, four or five resorts on the beach, literally by the pool in Mexico. I think I have done. I know I went. Did we do it from Amsterdam? I went to Iceland. Once I did I did a few from the least coast here and there, but I love taking the show on the road, getting some interviews, setting up to webcam and so I am your guys. Let's do it in the air. As all those flight attendants say. It is garf bottom of the hour. We've got thirty more minutes. You know the phone number. When we come back. We'll talk about more technology that was around my twenty five years ago, much less a year ago. Self driving robo taxis coming to Dallas along with Waymo just starting to hit these streets driverless taxis in Austin. People resist, say you can talk about this coming back on a high protechnic show. He's got a tax from my buddy. Kenny dumped in over at US coins and jewelry. The uh yeah, one of the easily one of the top two, top three, maybe the top one coin jewelry buy and sell in the country, I mean country. Kenny Duncan is not well. He's second generation. He his dad Kenny Senior, started this years ago. Kenny Duncan, his brother Matthew Duncan is it's family business. I ten Katie Katy Freeway right did Foss road Dude is a new msmatist, which I believe it or not, I'm allowed to say on these airwaves. New mysmatist is someone who actually was an expert in coin coin collectors. If you have any coins jewelry, gold, silver, and they are expanding anyway. He just texted me because I dropped by his place. It was it Thursday, so I was picking out. I check it out the whole just a slew of Rolex watches and they've got diamond Joey's. They were showing me this. I guess it was an engagement ring, folks, I'm not no, No, wasn't for me. They were taking a picture of this ring. Matthew Dunkle was taking a picture of this ring, and he was standing outside in front of the building and there was like two guards around him, and I'm like, yo, Maddie, what are you doing. He wanted to get the sun reflecting on this thing. He's holding up this ring, and I am not listen, we use hyperbole sometimes, I am not kidding. I almost was blinded by the shine on this thing. I think it was six carrots. Not only was this diamond big, gorgeous, but there was it was diamond encrusted all the way around the ring, I mean the bottom of the ring. I don't understand. Well, actually I do. I used to sell this stuff, you know, stuff on QVC. But anyway, one of the many things that they have it is diamonds. Anyway, he just texted, he's listening to the show. They are open on Saturdays, not Sundays. If you don't matter when you're listening to the podcast right now, if you're not in Houston, doesn't matter. US Coins and Jewelry dot Com they have sports memorabilia. They have just got a whole baseball fan, especially Astros fans. They got a slew of Jeff Bagwell and Craig Bigio dual autograph baseballs, a lot of them stacked up over there. You can come in. You could purchase those. What a great gift to get fired up for the of the season. But go check them out. US Coins and jewey dot Com. Kenny, thank you so much for being potna here of this show and tuning in. Garf is the name. And you know, one way to get to US Coins and Jewelry you could you could drive very big parking lot. And by the way, they're expanding their building too. I don't know if I was supposed to say that on the air. But they are creating another building right next to their current building and it's gonna be gorgeous. He actually walked me through it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Wait, good parking lot. But you can also you could take a taxi, or you could take an Uber, or you could take a lift. And odds are in Houston those services are going to have a driver. And I say this, It's like, what are you talking about, Matt, Well, doesn't every car have a driver? No, they don't. People, Because if you are listening at our great capital of Austin, Texas, Uber and a company named Waimo Waymo they just partnered in They just launched a self driving car to pick up passengers. Oh perfect, just in time for the billions of people going into town for south By Southwest, just launch. It is an autonomous option. Autonomous. Now there's two keywords I want to talk about her. One's autonomous, which means it's self driving. It is like Ghostbusters. People ain't nobody in that driver's sept So it is a paradigm shift that you may have to be freaked out with. That's number one. Number two, it's an option when you call an Uber or Weimo. You get on one of their the apps, you have the option of saying I want to try one of these autonomous babies or he no, I want real I want a real human flesh up there driving me. Now. They already have the service in San fran Los Angeles, and Phoenix. Weaymo's trying to expand in the more cities they've cleaned up with umer Uber. They announced this last September, and I don't know, is this something that you would do. It's a network of listen, they have human driven cars. They're going to continue to give rides in Austin. But if you've never been driven in a self driven car, it's weird. And by the way, for all you people who are big at University of Texas and Arch Manning or Cooper Manning fans, apparently it was it Weimo or Uber one of them. I don't know. They just did an nil deal with Arch Manning, the quarter back for the Longhorns, and they did they really need funny I don't know, probably sixty second video on social media just to announce it. Just this week. You got Arch Manning, who's the quarterback. You've got his dad, Cooper Manning of the famous Manning family. And then you've got Arch Manning, the grandfather, the famous footballer from the nineteen seventies nineteen eightys. All three are sitting in the back of a waymo and there's no driver and it's a very funny family. Cooper's a very funny cat. I'll tell you what. So anyway, they lined that too, So that's number one. That's Austin. Then I saw this big d and I know we're broadcast in Dallas on the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety Talk Radio eleven ninety. How are you guys doing well? Guess what, You're not left out either because Robotaxis we're gonna call this Lift is bringing robotaxis to Dallas. Lift, which is a competitor to Uber. They want to keep pace and they're launching a fleet of robotaxis as as soon as twenty twenty six. That's a quote right now. This is according to report that I saw in tech Crunch. These are robocabs and they are going to be able to and they're going to use you know, for GM OUTI, Volkswagon, you know a lot of other stuff. They're going to use these vehicles and driverless and they're going to pick you up in Dallas. And I say this because this is kind of a question, and this is what I do. I love hearing from you, folks. So if you can't get through the phone lines, or if you want to leave a voicemail three four six twenty nine Texan, you can go to high Tech go on x dot com h I G h T E C h T E X AM. Do you trust this? Would you ride in a driverless vehicle? Have you ridden in a driverless vehicle? I want to take this boy. We got about twenty four minutes left to this show, but I want to hear from you. I have done it, and I I am a It's my job to actually put myself out there, try technology, utilize technology so I can put it into my mind frame, in my words, and bring it to you. I'm not saying or endorsing that this is the safest way to ride. I mean, no one is. I mean you can't guarantee anything. And I'll tell you this. The driverless cars, with all of their radar and lightar systems and their cameras, they may be safer than a human driver. They may be not for me to say yet we're gonna have to study this thing. But I'm just here to say one of the reasons this has been possible for years driverless cars. The first time I saw a driverless car, I was in San Francisco. I was up there for something, and I'm gonna go back. I'm gonna go back eight years ago maybe, and I land in San Francisco Airport and I get into an actual taxi cab. Actually you know what it was, maybe something I was there for an event and maybe somebody picked me up in a car. Whatever. Anyway, I was in the back. There was a real human driving me, and we're on what is it, the the I five or something whatever that is going north to San Francisco, the city itself, because the airport is south of the city, and we're just rolling over here. It's a gorgeous day and there's you know, there's the mountains, and I can kind of see the ocean on the right hand side, at the Pacific's ocean, you know, at the bay, and then to the right of me, here comes this car and it just it was just not a big deal. It's you didn't have lights in it, there was no driver and the first time you see it, dude. It is freakyeeky. It's like dang, and you want to you want to move lanes, you want to get away from it. First time and there was no one in the back seat. They were just testing this. And I don't know if it was Apple of it was Google, I don't know, a third party company. Whatever it was, it it was Craig Craig. It was back. Now we're at the point where we have riders in the back. I've tried it at ces. You know, I take videos the whole thing, and the first thing is the first thing. I will guarantee you that there's a few guarantees over here. The first time you ever get in the back of a driverless car, whenever it happens in your lifetime, you're going to take pictures in video. It's as simple as that. I remember the first time I was an Uber when Uber was invented, versus a taxi cab driver. You had a conversation with Uber driver. It's like, hey, do you like driving for this Uber thing? And how does it work? I mean that was mandatory. It's mandatory now to get in the back of one of these riverless cars and take a picture and post the thing and I'll end the point. My point with this. It has been around for many years. Why hasn't it really taken off? Yes, technology has continues to get better with the radar system than the eighteen or the eighty plus cameras they have on board, the light oar system that sees everything. I will tell you the secret, which is not a secrets. I've talked about this before in my opinion, in my mind, and I think I'm I speak the truth and I think I'm right. The reason why driverless cars have not taken off it is because it is a major paradigm shift for our lifestyle, our trust, and the way we operate. When Henry Ford created that automobile many many years ago, there has been a human driver. All right, we trust ourselves. Do we trust technology? Listen? There's stories about companies and servers being hacked all the time like that. Do we trust it? I don't think there is a trust factor. I don't think we do. What happens if all of a sudden the pedal gets stuck and you're going one hundred miles an hour and you can't stop. What happens if you decide the last minutes that wait, mane, here's my stopper's traffic. I want to get out what happens if you are in a wreck and the car doors are stuck in the back seat? Are you're going to climb over the front seat?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: What happens when you get in a wreck? Whose fault is it? I know there's cameras? Is it the other person's fault? Is it the Waymo's Well, you can't see the driver of weimo because there is no driver. There's still a lot of questions. But I think it's our lack of acceptance in the consumer market. Your thoughts, please tell me fifteen more minutes, three four, six, twenty nine texts and if you don't like it, you know what, text me your address. I'll come pick you up in one of the two vehicles that I'm testing this week, the Lexus UX three hundred F Sport and the Chevy Equinox EV. If you want the full reviews, you can go to my podcast Spotify and many other podcasts. You look for high tech texts and nine hundred plus vehicles that I have been reviewing over the years, and so you're gonna get my opinion on that coming up we will wrap up some more news actually going around Texas too. Hey remember all those drone deliveries that were happening in all these cities, including College Station in parts of Dallas. Well, guess what, I don't think people actually like drones flying around to deliver all their products. I'll tell you one city who said, Ova, We're stopping it. It's right here on the High Tech Texan Show with me and Michael Breslin. We made it, people, We made it final segment of this weekend's High Tech text in Show. I do thank you for tuning in. I thank you for all the nice comments, especially some of you folks in Austin, where our show is not hurt terrestrially in Austin. It's heard in Houston and San Antonio, in Dallas. But I guess the signal in San Antonio WAI twelve hundred am. It's it's it's a pretty big blowtorch fifty thousand watts. I guess that reaches into Austin. Just started the gig on the Austin Fox seventh station. I am the new technology correspondence reporter. Did my first segment last Monday. So every Monday seven forty five am. If you are in Austin or if you want to go online the Fox seven Austin, you can see some of the products I'm reviewing. And you actually can see what the hair behind the microphone looks like. That is my actual hair, folks. I'm very proud of it. To my age. And there you go. So I do thank you, so shout out to everybody and everybody coming to Austin for south By Southwest. I do want to remind you this weekend it is we're losing an hour of sleep. So whatever time you're listening to this, if you're listening on a Saturday, set a reminder in your mind before you go to bed Saturday, sprang forward. Set your clock ahead one hour. For all those non automatic things like your microwave, your wall clock, maybe your old timey clock radio like I still have, maybe your micro your oven, whatever, it is a lot of other a lot of the devices that we have, they do set automatically. Your phone will reset automatically. Your if you're smart watch is connected to your phone, it's going to set automatically. To your computer pretty much sets automatically. Your cars depend older cars will not do it. I don't know, depending on the model. I don't know when the time bline was of what year, make, model, but most of your cars should if they're within the you know, probably i'd say the last five, six, seven years, they should automatically update. But if not, the worst thing to do is if you don't drive on Sunday. You get up Monday morning to go to the office, and you know, your clocks in your home are all set, You're all cool for daylight saving time, and all of a sudden, you're getting your car like we do my good ism an hour late. You set your set your car clock back just to forget about that. Hey, speaking your clocks. One more thing too, about this clock? Where did I see this? There is a there's an app. Here is an app that I don't know if you want to download. And that's that's counterintuitive to what I talk about, because I generally tell you here's something that you may want to try. I may want to download. This is kind of a this is a morbid thing. This is a morbid thing.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: There is a there's an app here. It is called the death clock. I'll tell you, I guess what that does. It is a AI powered death clock, and it claims to predict when and how you will die by analyzing factors like your age and your health, and your habits and your lifestyle choices. So apparently you I have not done this app, but I don't want to do this app, but I thought it was I thought it was interesting. You download this app, they ask you questions like how often do you work out? Do you have stress, how do you sleep, what do you do, do you drink a lot? What's your cholesterol, your blood pressure? And listen. There is a disclaimer states the results are for entertainment purposes only and they should not be taken as scientifically accurate. You know what if it's an interergy it sounds like it's a betting site. Why not? Where's I use prize picks? You know it's god, it's a betting app. Maybe do they have an over under of when some specifically is going to die? This is sound It sounds like it's it's an opportunity over Here. At the end of the questionnaire on this app, you're going to get a shareable page with a quote save the date that shows the day and the age you're expected to die. People who comes up with this and I'm serious about this thing. You know what. We don't have enough time to take questions about this, but feel free to as we hang, you know, get ready to wind the show down. Go to x dot com, Go to high Tech Texan spellball thing on high Tech Texans. Would you do this? It is? It is? Would you want to know when and how you will die? It's unsettling. It's unsettling to see a number and a date attached to your final day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess you can view it as a wake up call, reminder that we're not going to escape the inevitable, but maybe you might be able to push it further into the future. I say it's morbid. The app also offers some suggestions on how to live longer. Obviously, I think there's a paid subscription plan here somewhere with personalized longevity plan. Here's a longevity plan. Stop drinking as much, work out, smile, talk to people, did out love life, you know, just stop smoking, don't do drugs. I sound like my mother, but I don't know. We all could go at any minute, but I kind of live by those rules. That's why I look. I don't think I look my age. I sure as heck, don't act my age people. If you know how old I am. And I got the energy right here death Clock. It is available on iOS and Android. This was not an endorsement whatsoever. That is the weird stuff we talk about. Uh did I tease something else? Oh yeah, drones real quickly, I'm sorry about that. I got about a minute and a half over here. Amazon did an experiment in College Station, which is a city northwest of Houston, and I think there may be a college there. I'm not sure. Okay, I'll just kind of go with that as a long word. Amazon has been experimenting drone deliveries in college Station for a while. Long story short. The people who live in College Station population about one hundred and twenty five thousand. They have not been too happy with it. And this is a story that I read on Wired Wired dot com. I'm not making this stuff up. They people did not like the buzzing, the sounds. There was I think two drones fell out of the sky. They didn't hurt anybody. People think about the privacy, you know some people. I was there a camp. The people don't want to layup by a swimming I'm reading somebody didn't want lay out by swimming pool. Because they thought the drones camera was pointing down. You know, Amazon comes back and forth say no, no, no, this is at the end of the day. Amazon experiment of flying drones in college station apparently is OVA. They are shutting down soon, no longer. Nope, that's it. You're not going to be able. Are you aggy people to order cookies or toothbrushes or toothpaste at your women? Have it deliver within the hour. That's another paradigm shift. And we'll talk about this next week, because we in this show we talked about paradigm shift of driverless vehicles, the waymos of the world of robot taxis. Would you sit in a car that's being driven by nobody? Would you try drones? I haven't seen one of these things work. I probably should do a story for one of my TV segments over I'd like to see how it'll work. But I don't know because I live in Texas and most of the time, if I got a hanger for some ice cream and I want it delivered quickly and I'm not home ill they drop that bluebell in the wrong backyard, man had to waste the money and I got a big old hot milk shake these a the framings that I think about, the technology to the forefront that makes you think too. With that ending the show, Thank you to Calum Read and thank you to Will. Thank you to Brian Erickson for me keeping me on all of these cities here on the iHeart meeting at work. If you want me Hi tech Texan dot com, send me an email and I do. Thank you so much for being interactive and listening. We're twenty two, twenty three plus years Michael Garthurs, my mate, have a wonderful weekend. Sorry you're losing an extra hour of sleep spring for of my friends. I'll talk to you next week because right now my show is over.