Speaker 1: Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, five o'clock here on a Wednesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. This is Coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nit coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery alongside today and we're having some fun. Been a busy show, been a little bit of a different show as far as just I feel like, I don't know, whenever we had Jay Williams on, I kind of felt like it just turned and it's something I chose to do. I mean, I could have told him, hey, we only have like ten minutes, but I figured, you know, why not just run through the top of the four o'clock hour and keep that thing going as long as we can. And I thought it was worthwhile. But it certainly did throw some things off because now I realize we've got less than an hour left, and there's still a lot of things that I want to get into that we haven't yet. But the biggest, I guess, the most consistent thing I'm hearing from folks that listen to our conversation with Jay Williams Austin is that he was you know, it was a conversation and what he said is true and I'm guilty of it, like I did it, and I'm not I'm not you know, I'm not bending the knee here to like kiss his ass. But I know that he did, in fact on a game and that's what I was going to and he knew exactly what I was talking about. And I think him wanting to come on after I said that kind of does show that, like he realizes that he did at one point gas light louisvill fans, and he explained he was hearing stuff from Nolan Smith, and you know, then he would talk to other people and then you know, relationships are really important, but you're going to utilize your relationships to try to make yourself look better, to try to benefit you. And I think, sure, I think those two probably have a good relationship, meaning Nolan and Jay, And I mean he kind of realized, all right, that's that side of it. Let me get the different perspective. And then by the next year, meaning year two of the Kpira, Jay was one of one of the guys that was just flat out saying like, look like this is this is unacceptable, Like shouldn't be in this position, this is sad, and I mean, I'm again like he played out kind of the way that I wanted it to because he was on a call on the game and that's when it was like he just started the game telling Louisville fans to chill out and be patient and don't and understand what Kenny inherited. And it just, you know, that's the last thing people wanted to hear because that at that time, it was quite clear that you know, nobody was asking you to go to the tournament in your first year. We were wanting you to, you know, maybe not be the biggest embarrassment in college basketball, which they were. So he brought that up, which kind of confirmed that, Like there was a game and he knew it. And then he also said something that I knew had happened, but I didn't know if he would go there when he would when he did say like what he thought about, you know, about what was going on, it was either halftime or right after the uku BO game nded last year, and it was just so embarrassing. It was basically blew out in our own arena, and Kenny Payne didn't want to win because you know, he's going up against his boss Caliperi, and Seth Greenberg had an issue with what Jay was saying because Seth Greenberg is insanely I mean, I think he's I mean, I think he's obsessed with John cal Perry and because of that, he's going to always defend Kenny because Kenny's cal Perry's got. Yeah, like Greenberg won't acknowledge the first of all, he's just he's just kind of an old, crotchety guy now that like doesn't understand. Look, I know you don't like the portal, but like apparently, and I heard this for some folks that were well, I won't tell you, Greenberg doesn't like when guys are playing and they're in a good spot and they transfer like Chucky was playing a lot, was gonna have a big role at Wisconsin. And by the way, Wisconsin's doing fine without him, Like they're doing really well. But like he's he's what Chucky did. The kind of guys that Seth Greenberg apparently really doesn't like as far as just like, hey, you were already at a high level. You know, they invested in you, you probably had an il and you left, which again, like you can cry about it, but like that's the new world, that's where we are. So you know, he's going to pooh pooh a lot of the Kentucky success this year, I'm sure, because he doesn't want to go against cal He's going to probably not in them. Who knows, maybe there's not a whole lot of great success from the Louisville side, But like he's going to be less complimentary than the other guys because he's letting his friendships with Calipari and Kenny Payne get in the way. And you know, he's a former coach, he knows basketball, but to me, he seems like somebody that like is I mean that at the end of the day, it's all entertainment and maybe people are entertained by this, but what is the value of a analyst, a guy who coached basketball at a high level. You would think that you're bringing him there to give you perspective and insight that you can't get elsewhere because they've been they've been in the game, right, What value do they bring though if they won't acknowledge reality because they're still like living in the world as a coach and not somebody that has paid a lot of money to share opinions and be honest and be real. Like there are certain people that cover the game of college hoops that refuse to Criticiz as any coach for I guess reasons I don't know. But then there's some that have relationships, maybe because they used to work with them as coaches, or maybe they just know them really well. Like for example, Jeff Goodman is phenomenal as a college basketball insider, meaning he has built a reputation as one of the best in the game, in fact, the best when it comes to getting access to information. He's probably the lead guy him or no joke, Trillie Donovan. Those are two guys that I think right now when it comes or Matt Norland I might no onm that are really shined during this last coaching season, coaching changed because he was he was the guy that scooped a lot of stuff. So my point is this, like Goodman's great, Goodman is way too close to Bill self. He will say things about any coach, but he won't go past a certain point of Bill's self because they are very very close. So like I just think if you're somebody that is not there to break news, which Greenberg is not, but you're there to again like you're Lane is hey, you can talk exes and o's above. A lot of our heads tell us basketball, Well, don't tell us that a coach who sucks, who doesn't win games and is underwhelm Like, don't tell us that, like it's not raining when we're getting drenched, like you know, like it just there's no value there. So Anyways, the people that have responded to the Jay Williams interview have most of them consistently said, like I'm one, they were mad that we didn't like just yell at him. I don't know why we would do that, what would be benefit from that? Or they're saying like that was actually pretty good, like he explained himself and I did. I got Look, I got triggered by him giving Pat Kelsey credit for what he inherited whenever Pat really did and walk into nothing and what did he do? Built the team, got the fan base engaged, and Kenny Payne got here and felt like a victim, like don't treat those two things the same. And that's what got me to fire off on Twitter at him, and you know that led to him being on the show. But I have Corey Alexander was the worst, Like just literally thinking Louisville was the problem, not Kenny Payne. And that's just an asinine thing that I refuse to believe that he actually believes. But we'll move on. Thanks thanks to Jay Williams for coming on the show. You guys can check it out on the podcast if you didn't didn't get to hear it. All right, So what I want to do in the rest of the time that we have here little moral reaction on what happened with the Louisville last night, Little more reaction on what happened with Kentucky last night. The college football playoff rankings, early names in the portal. And there's something else. Oh, some texts that came in. Then I want to get to So I got about forty five minutes, and I don't know if we can squeeze it all in, but I'm certainly going to try. I'll start with kind of resetting my thoughts on what happened last night. You're not going to beat many teams when you shoot five of thirty from three. You are built pre injury to be a team to where your ceiling is its highest when you're making three point shots, and they are a really bad three point shooting team. Pat Kelsey, he did it last night once again, and I get it. He's going to continue to mention that the last thing he's worried about. I think he said this exact thing twice. Now, I'm not losing any sleeve worried about these guys making shots. Hey, losing sleepover ain't gonna help anything. But I can tell you they're not making shots, bro, Like, that's just not happening. And him saying that is to continue to give them confidence. The second he starts talking about, hey, maybe we shouldn't continue to do what we've been working on since I got here and since you guys got here, Like that may rattle their confidence, but their confidence is already shot because now they're pressing. They know that Louisville's success is dependent upon getting good looks and knocking them down, and they're not doing it. And I think having them continue to just fire them up is becoming more of a mental thing than anything else. So I don't think you're going to see a complete recreation of what this team's going to do. But I was happy to hear him mention that, you know that they're now trying to figure out who they are with the loss of three guys that are all that we're all supposed to be very critical to what you're going to do, like Louisville, and this is just the way does it. I said this before anybody really got hurt, to be honest with you, they have built a team. Pat's built a team that is way more dependent upon guys plugging into a role and just the system, the style working And that's okay. Like that. The Indiana game is the best example of how that'll work at a high level. Louisville had a lot of possessions. Indiana got sped up. They couldn't stop missing layups, couldn't stop turning it over. That is the best example I can give you as to how this can really work well. But other teams are gonna slow you down and actually try to prepare, Like Mike Woodson is just a buffoon. Like I don't know how he did not realize. All you got to do is just keep them from getting the pace at a really high, high level, and that means you're gonna beat them by any means. But like you, like Mike Woodson, tried to play Louisville at their game, and yes, Indiana is more talented, but Louisville clearly is way more built to do that than Indiana was. But I don't think you're gonna run into any coaches that are gonna do what Mike Woodson did. I think you're going to run into coaches that look at what Chris Beard did, look at Rick Barnes did, look at what Porter Moser did, and say, Okay, we may be able to beat him at their game. But here's what I do know. We're pretty comfortable in a slow, slower game where we can grind it out in the half court and really just get physical. That is not what they want to do. So let's do that. That'll be our best chance of winning. It just makes total sense. It's what good coaches do. So for Pat Kelsey, what I'm anxious to see is does he realize And I guess this is just my opinion. I can't say that it's a fact, but I do stand by this. You don't even have the bodies. You don't even have the ability to do what you wanted to do because you only have seven dudes. So if you're playing the same style and you want to do the same things with only seven guys. Like, it's not like for that to work you needed to rely on depth. You don't have depth anymore yet, seven dudes. So I mean, I just don't think it makes any sense to try to, you know, do the same thing you've been trying to do all year. Not because it's a flawed system, not because it's it's terrible, and it's not because you got to like admit that. It's not about even being stubborn. It's just like realizing, Okay, I am now so limited with bodies that I can't do what I want to do. So now we got to figure something out. And I think last night I'm paraphrasing here, but he essentially said, look, we got to we got to figure out what works. So you've got some guys that I think have some ability, but up until like recently, they've just been out there playing a role. Now you need to look at what they bring to the table as an individual player, Like Terrence Edwards has something. Now you've got to find a way to maximize whatever that is. He's not somebody that I think really was a great fit in the system anyway, but now you're limited and he's one of your better players. For better or worse, he just is so find something, find a formula, find a formulator where you can get something out of him that can make you a more competitive team. Empower Chuck. He have burned more than you already have. I mean, he's gonna get burned out, no doubt, and that's unfortunate. But it's your best offense when he's just running the show, either trying to create and score or maybe finding somebody. Like you don't like to see guys just go one on one and play hero ball, as people say, but I saw Chucky do it pretty effectively in the Bahamas. So you know, you don't want to run, you don't want to rely on him one hundred percent, but like he's your best option, he's your best player. It's not even close. And he tried at times to take over last night, and you know he just kind of ran out of gas a little bit. All missed it. A good job defending him, I think, and he needs to turn he like when he's got it rolling defensively and he's a pest and he's getting steals and he's just really causing havoc for the opposing backcourt. That's what generates him looking like one of the best guards in the country. He didn't get a steel last night, like ole Miss knew. Hey, let's like, let's let's keep this guy from really getting going. And I think in a weird way, like I think he becomes a guy that is oozing confidence, looking like one of the best players in the country when his defense gets it going first. And Olemiss didn't really let him do that last night, So credit to them. Can I russ true freshman, very raw, but he's got talent. I think you could find something there to wear. Okay, let's let's throw. Let's let's let's run some action to where we can maybe take advantage of his ability. Noah Waterman not making shots, but still if you get him certain looks, you know, history shows throughout his ten year college career. I'm exaggerating, He's been in college a long time, but like he's a better shooter than what we're seeing. And by the way, Noah is the one guy that I do believe. He's just not making shots right now and eventually the numbers are gonna even out. I do worry a little bit about how he's gained a lot of weight, and I'm not fact shaming by any means. I'm not even saying this as a factor. I know he added muscle. I know he had an injury at one point that maybe it led to him gaining some weight. But like whenever you're seeing a guy that you know can shoot it just really struggle like he has, you start to think about him. Can be No Waterman weigh two hundred ten pounds of BYU last year. No Waterman weihs two undred thirty pounds now, And I think a lot of that. No joke had somebody to reach out to me this morning and say, hey, you know, he did add a lot of muscle, and I believe that. But he's also like that with that added weight, regardless if it's just nothing but pure muscle and he's just looking like, you know, a shredded bodybuilder. If he's added that much weight, should you still expect him to be able to run the floor and knock down threes consistently? Like those are things that matter. It's probably something I'm overthinking, but I'm just trying to figure out why that guy because he's really keep in mind, Noah Waterman last year played for who Mark Pope. Mark Pope wants to do the same thing that Pat Kelsey does. So I just choose to believe that more than anything, he's just need he needs to just see some shots go in and he'll get hot. But I also think at times he's firing up shots that probably aren't great looks even if he is, you know, if any if he does to have some daylight, Like I wish Noah Waterman was a dude that like would realize, hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna be six ten and go push some guys around. And he's not a back to the basket like you know, post player per se, but like he can do something, he can create some He's a big dude. He's six ten, six eleven, two hundred and thirty pounds, so like maybe this is now archaic, but like he's the kind of guy that can absolutely get a bucket near the rim, get to the free throw line, and then I think that's when shots start falling for him. That's just rhythm of being a basketball player. But the other guys that I talked about this earlier, they can shoot. They did shoot thirty five to forty percent at their previous schools. But I just think expecting them to be able to shoot it at that exact same percentage or better when they're playing in a completely different system. It's it's the numbers from their previous school. I just don't think or that are that relevant to the situation. Like, you're not asking Terrence Edwards to do the same thing he was asked to do with James Madison. So yeah, he can make shots, but it was more just a component within what they do at James Madison or at Long Beach State, or at Washington or at you know, wherever. I don't think it's coincidence. The one guy that is shooting forty percent even after a two for eight night last night, is the guy that has played in this exact system for five years, Rain Smith, because he's comfortable. This is all he's done his whole college career. These other guys, their numbers are real, but I don't think it's crazy to expect those numbers to substantially drop when they're really doing a different job. They can make shots, but is that like, is that a weapon for them like it is Rain Smith? I don't think so. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I love that players are now calling out the college Football Selection Committee because players I think are making real points. Coaches are just you know, trying to dress up their resume and make it look better than it is. But we'll finish strong, at least we'll try to. I can't believe how fast the show's come by today. Let's get out of here. We'll come back for a couple more segments on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety BacT to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stop nerding out on you know, I'm gonna get out of the weeds when it comes to just talking basketball. But I do want to give you an example that I think if you're a Louisville fan, it'll make a little sense as far as what I mean when it comes to these guys being able to shoot thirty five to forty percent from three at their previous score in a different system and them not being able to do it here with this system that Pat Kelsey has. Now again, I think all these guys are better shooters than the number show. Like these guys just can't buy a bucket. Last night, it was really tough to see. But like this is what I said after the game. They're a better shooting team than we saw last night. They're a better shooting team than the numbers show so far throughout the season. But how much better That's That's something that I'm a little bit worried about. But who remembers Steven Enoch? A big who is going to be forgotten? But man, he was a hell of a player, Oh I do. He was a hell of a player. Really, I mean, just one of the more physically imposing players that Louisville had, and he also had a really nice touch from three. Obviously, Chris Mack was much more of a of an offensively. He was much more of an old I don't I wouldn't even call it old school, but like it's not what Pat does. And when it comes to the offense, you know, at times, I think the offense under Mac was in a half court was you know, suspect, but they were they clearly at times had a real emphasis on feeding the post. And Enoch was was a guy that had some success here because he was just a tough cover, he had nice touch and he's big, but he also could knock down shots. So he shot thirty seven percent from three, I think it was and let's be real. He wasn't somebody that shot you know, ten a game like rain Smith. But he's shot enough. Like his numbers weren't, his percentages weren't misleading because like he only shot five of them, which sometimes that happens. However, think about what he would do in this system, Like, think about if he was somebody that's out there. Okay, here's what we gotta do. I gotta find a way to either, you know, get myself open with a good look within rhythm from three, or I gotta be moving constantly to get somebody else. Won I don't think you would expect him to shoot it the same way, right, because it was just a thing that he added, right, pick and pop. Yeah, you better come out and guard me because I can make this, you know, leave me open. I'm gonna knock it down. I've been able to really get what I want in the paint. So now I'm gonna step outside because you've you know, you started to double t me in the post where you're not gonna double team me from three, So let me step out and knock it down like that. That's that's more traditional. What we're seeing here is is a little bit different. And again I've tried my best to emphasize I am not saying in any way that Pat Kelsey's wrong for his system and his style, because you know it can work. It's just now you really don't even have the ability to do what you want to do, not because it won't work, but because you don't have the pieces. You don't have you've lost so many guys injury. So I just wanted to give you a little bit of an example when it comes to like, being able to shoot a certain percentage from three in a certain system doesn't mean you're gonna be able to do with the same thing at at at a different in a different system like this one here.
Speaker 3: I will I'll go ahead and say, since we're bringing up old flings, just watching them last night, man, I would have loved Drey Davis on this squad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, dude, he was. I mean, I love Dre and I I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, he had a good game for him too.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he like he didn't want to leave initially here he found the perfect spot. I mean again, this goes back to I mean Drey Davis's brother Tay went. They both went to Seaton Hall initially Tay transferred to Notre Dame, but Tay had signed with Louisville as well while Dre was here. He signed with Chris Mack. And I mean I talked to to Tay and and and Dre and and their father at the time of the coaching change, and Kenny Pang got the job and just didn't do anything, like I didn't know that he had signed, and nobody reached out there, Like there was no conversation about like, hey, we're gonna honor your commitment, you can still stay here. Dre wanted to stay, and nobody talked to him like he's what he was saying. He read the room and said, I'm gonna leave now. I think eventually there was a conversation that took place, but it was way after he'd already entered the portal. So Tay released that I'm opening my recruitment, but I'm still considering Louisville if they want me, And like nobody talked to him, and I'm not saying that would have changed anything, but like I love Dre drey Is. I said this yesterday we were talking with Seal Brown. Drey Davis is one of those guys that if if Chris Beard, Sheeen Holloway and really even Chris Mack too. If they could create a video game player, a player within a video game that like is the kind of guy they want as far as just toughness, physicality, work ethic, it's Dray Davis and he's I'm so. I actually talked to him a little bit last night after the game, reached out to him because Tom Dravi was here. Is when I actually was pretty embedded within the program and had you know, I had some access to things. Obviously people know my relationship with Chris mac but right I was so happy to see him succeed at Seaton Hall and then he hit the portal and I didn't have any idea where he'd end up, but man, him playing for Seen Holloway and Chris Beard, the guy knows where he fits. If you know what I'm saying, it works out well. And he went off last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a good game.
Speaker 2: Would have been even worse if he didn't get in foul trouble probably.
Speaker 3: And what he got a really good standing ovation. Everybody else got booed during the starting lineup, so when they announced Ray Davis, everybody gave him a good.
Speaker 2: Old, good good. He's a good dude man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They also really cheered once they announced his third foul and he is walking off the.
Speaker 2: Court because he was killing us. Yeah you know what I mean, he.
Speaker 3: Get eleven points at that at that time.
Speaker 2: Are we have some breaking news on the football side. Dane Key, Kentucky receiver has entered the portal. No clue where he's gonna end up, but he'll have a lot of options and he may be one of those guys. And look, he was good at Kentucky, but their offense stunk, so like he you know, hard if you're a receiver, why the hell would you want to play for an offense that was as bad as they were really the last couple of years. So I feel like he's got the best chance to go somewhere and make Mark Pope look even you know. Course, So anyways, uh, that is big news for Kentucky and it feel like the hits just keep getting Now what that said, they did sign a top twenty five class today, Kentucky did, and that has value. It's just you know, now you got to really go clean up in the portal, and maybe they end up doing that, but I feel like portal is going to be a lot of a lot of First of all, the portal is about money, like you need to go get guys. You need to have money to where you can go get players that everybody's competing for. And there's a lot of factors when it comes to their decision. But let's not act like money is not a big one. But also another another factor is like momentum, like Kentucky's coming off their worst season in a long long time. Like the idea of a portal guy who has a lot of other good options picking Kentucky is just seems kind of unlikely, unless, of course you've got you know, money that others aren't willing to pay for those players. All right, real quick, on the Kentucky lost last night, it was nice to see them look a little more, you know, and they lost, and they didn't I mean, they have not looked perfect all year.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Their schedules set up to where they didn't play like worst teams ever, but like they played teams they beat up on that they were kind of supposed to do that, and they did get pushed around a little bit by Western Kentucky, and I think that kind of made it to where, all right, if you're gonna try to keep them from doing what they're doing. It's not necessarily just about slowing it down and limiting possessions. It's more so about just getting physical because they're they're they're bigger than Louisville is ball means, but they're bigs are kind of dare I say, Finesse Biggs. I mean, Amari Williams is a humongous guy, and he's a physical presence. But outside of him, you know, Andrew Carr is not a good defender, can get pushed around. And I'm not even really sure who else they have in the post outside of car and Williams. I feel like I'm blanking on Oh Garrison, but I mean I don't does he even play a lot like so For as a Louislle fan, who, of course once to see Consycle lose every game, it was nice to kind of see them look a little bit more beatable, and they did lose. I don't know how many losses they're gonna have the rest of the way, But as I said to start the show, you're gonna see opponents of both Louisville Kentucky emphasize the same thing. And I'm not gonna use the well, I'll use the word because I think you're gonna hear others say it, and I'm not ready to call it that, but gimmicky, this new modern basketball that is analytically driven, that is all about either getting good looks from three, or getting to the free throw on or getting shots around the rim like that, and it works. Man. If you can get you can build a roster that that has the personnel that really fits that, and you can dictate pace, you can win. And you gotta have talent. I mean again, you have the pieces. But as a basketball nerd, I knew that nato It's breaking through and making a Final four at Alabama was a big, a big moment for the new world of basketball coaches that are very much not about just trusting their gut and just deciding what they're gonna do in the moment. They're gonna like they've got like they're fouling up three no matter what, because the numbers say that's the best probability of you not losing the game if you foul up three, like that kind of stuff. So I'm trying to think of other coaches that are like that, but Natos is probably the best at it right now, because one he's successful and he's at Alabama to where they get really really good players and that style of play. I think Bama is the best example to turn to when it comes to Okay, man, if you can get really good players and they fit what you want to do, and you get into what you want to do and you got guys making shots, there's not going to be many teams that can beat you. Now, when you don't get into the style of play and possessions are limited, that's when he can go. It can go south. Like there's some games and I'm not saying this is what happened to a little well maybe it did. Lil did show a lot of threason they made five of them and they got blown out. But with that that style, it does leave you vulnerable to where you got to. You gotta one be able to to not completely be out of your comfort zone if you aren't controlling pace, but you got to be able to you know, there's a few components that like, if all three of them aren't working, you're gonna get killed. And that's what happened against Tennessee. And I kind of feel like that. I don't think it's the only reason the worlvel got beat bad last night. But when you are so dependent upon three point shots falling and you're taking around thirty of them and you only make five, that's where you just have to know if that's the result, and that's who we are, and we keep trying to do this, We're not going to win many games. So I'm anxious to see what the strategy is against Duke and the other team. You got Duke coming up on Sunday, you play Kentucky before too long, You've got North Carolina on New Year's and then I think, is there one more game between You've got UTEP and you've got EKU that are all around there. I don't know the exact dates, so we shall see. But Kentucky against Gonzaga, that should be a good game on Saturday night. And as I said earlier, I would imagine that if they end up losing that game, which still be underdogs. But if they lose that game and let's just say, maybe it's you know, not super close, I think that's where you may see and they're probably wrong. But you know what, we are crazy about college basketball right here? Are we We're obsessed so therefore, like last night, I'm just glad I didn't do a post game show because I'm sure we'd had some people that were wanting to question if Pat Kelsey was a good coach or not. And now you know, it's part of the gig. I could, I could have the conversation and I would have to disagree, and you know that's part of it. But like I think we know we know enough about each other, or I guess we know enough about ourselves as fan bases to where you can know that the majority is not going to go crazy and just assume that we need to get rid of a coach because he lost one game. But you also know because of how many fans both sides have and that we are all kind of crazy about it. Some are a different, different level of crazy about it. Like it's you never are going to be surprised when somebody's losing their mind about a loss, no matter how it looks, no matter who it's against, because that's how much we care. All right, real quick, I'm gonna try to get to this as quickly as I can. The college football playoff rankings, of course, came out last night, and SMU, I mean I'm I guess I'm being like an acc Homer here, but SMU is, in my opinion, the school that, like, I mean, it's not just them, I guess it's also like teams that are playing in the conference championship and that lose are essentially being punished because they made the conference championship game. And Ward Manuel tried his best to like put together a tasty word salad to make it not seem like that. But yes, you are punishing teams that made the conference championship SMU. I mean they're if they lose to Clemson, they're essentially I mean, yeah, I mean here's what And I'll let you guys hear this. This this sound because he was on with I can't think of who the guy has that's on with Andy Staples who was working for on three sports now, but he believes that if SMU, yeah, it says, well, let's just let you hear it. But basically SMU shouldn't play in the conference championship game. Like and another thing that nobody's talking about, at least not that I've seen. That's true, SMU not like deciding not to play in the championship game is not going to happen. There's no scenario that that happens, but man, I think that it should not just because of pettiness. But here's what's crazy. Because of their arrangement, being new to the league, they don't even get any of the money, Like they could win the league and get not a dime, which is not how it usually works. But this is Red Ashley, the head coach of SMU, earlier on On three Sports.
Speaker 4: If the worst happens this year, do you think coaches will start to consider.
Speaker 2: Doing crazy things like not playing or benching players or doing things.
Speaker 4: If our team all got COVID today and didn't play, we're in. Wow, We're in right. We don't have another data point to drop us below anybody that's behind.
Speaker 2: Us based on what happened.
Speaker 1: That's how you go.
Speaker 4: I think if you if you open up that door, you're going to see a lot of people do a lot of crazy things. Yes, we're not going to We're gonna go playing and we're gonna try to compete for our championship because that's the right thing to do. That's what competitors do. We value an opportunity to share the field with someone like Clemson and fantastic team and try to do something special. And so I just, like I said, I'm gonna choose to believe that on Sunday that the right thing will be done as well on the other end.
Speaker 2: So there's no way around it. And I don't I mean, I don't want to bag on the committee too much because you literally can't. There's no perfect way to do this to where everybody's like, yep, this is how it should be, Like everybody's gonna always be complaining. But you now have like Alabama's number eleven at nine and three, and they're walking into the college football playoff over BYU Arizona State in Iowa State, and it's because they're going to you know, whoever loses in the championship game of the Big twelve is gonna fall. I mean, like the extra data point, Like I don't understand how it's not just an obvious thing that the conference championships. First of all, they're in a really tough spot to where you can't even justify why you have them. They're big money makers obviously, and it's a spot in the field. Now, if you win your league, you get in, like that's how it works. But also like if you lose, you're punished for being in the championship game. And I don't think you should, like, you know, it should be considered to an extent, but to know that how they've are like, because there's only a handful of teams that even have a chance to change their position this week. You got there, which is because you were good enough. There's other teams that didn't make their conference championship, some teams in your own league that will benefit because you got there and they didn't if you lose. Like, it's just that is so flawed. There has to be something that could be implemented to where this doesn't happen, because last night to me, seemed like the ultimate night where everybody was like, Okay, what are we doing here? Like this is stupid, Like this doesn't make any sense because Wardman, You'll tried his best. Now, I'll give Reis Davis credit. He was trying to push him, like to get him to answer the question like, Hey, so you're saying that nobody you're not going to change any ranking for any team that isn't playing this weekend, and it's like, yeah, they won't have that data point, and I mean that makes sense. But again, like it should just be a given that if you win, you get in. If you lose, but again it doesn't make sense because again, if you lose and you get killed, it's gonna be hard for the committee a human brain to say, okay that I don't think the same of this team as I did previously. So I don't know the perfect system is, but I think a someone who could put together the best formula, not the BCS but something like that that would get approval from everybody that, Okay, if we're going to use a system instead of humans, this is the best one possible. Like that's gonna be your best way to do it. Because this is the first year we've had a twelve team playoff, and really, if you think about how that's lined up, this is not like, oh, you won't believe how we ended up here. This is how college football works. Like there's a little more parody. Maybe certain teams having more losses than they typically would have is what's happening right now, But it gets everybody talking about it, and that's what you want. That brings more interest in eyeballs and all that. But I feel like there's going to be some teams that don't get in that like they feel like, okay, then what could we have done? I know we could have won every game, but there's other teams that didn't win every game, hence the reason why they're not in their conference championship, and they got in and we didn't. Like it just makes no sense. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and wrap this thing up. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You know, I put it out there again, and I've done it before. I mentioned the whole people tell me I look like Steve Blake thing. When we were talking with Jay Williams, and it's because he mentioned Steve Blake and Wan Dixon and I thought, okay, he would know do you think I look like him? And I don't think that's something like you would brag about, like I look like I look like Steve Blake. I mean, you'd probably like to say it look like you know, Matthew McConaughey or you know, whoever is considered to be, you know, good looking. But I've been told I look like Steve O from Jackass or Steve Blake. So I chose Steve Blake. It's just like, you know, not to brag about it, but like, I'd rather that be what people say I look like than like I'll grab that one and say let's run with this one and not anything else.
Speaker 3: I'll give you this because I don't see the I don't see the Steve. Oh, but I see more Steve Blake. What's with Steve's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. But my cousin Eric, he's the one who I told him one time he looked like Ben Roethlisberger, and I think, yeah, he took he took it as an insult, and I apologize because it probably wasn't. I mean, I didn't mean it that way, but like, probably not what you want to hear. Uh. So he told I think he called me a Steve Blake looking ass, and I was like, damn, I kind of I kind of agree. And then I mentioned it one time on the show, and then it kind of created a little life of its own, and then I don't mention it often, and then I did today and now people are like, oh my god, you do you look just like Steve Blake, so you know, hopefully he's considered to be very handsome, because you know, I can't deny I do think i'd look like him slightly. How about these vibes here? As we wrap this thing up, We're out of time, aren't we? What a fast show. We had a lot of fun today, didn't we.
Speaker 3: I know, some Jay Williams action, some little ACC SEC hangover.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's no way that they, I mean, the ACC is going to get killed. Yeah, it would be great though if the only when the ACC has is Clemson beating Kentucky, that could live with that. Well with it. We're out of time. We'll be back tomorrow. Join us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety