Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomy podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: For well, for the better part of a century. Really, when astronomers look out at the universe, they've been working with a kind of standard cosmic blueprint.
Speaker 3: Mm hm, the LAMB, the CDM model, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And if you followed cosmology at all, you know this blueprint is well, it's deeply unsettling.
Speaker 3: It is a bit strange, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It says that everything we see, you know, the stars, planets, gas, the stuff we interact with normal matter. Right, normal matter makes up less than five percent of everything that's out there.
Speaker 3: That's the picture. Yes, the huge majority, like ninety of the universe is completely theoretical. It's unseen, undetectable directly anyway.
Speaker 2: And then ninety percent is split.
Speaker 3: Correct between cold dark matter or CDM, which acts like extra gravitational.
Speaker 2: Scaffolding holding galaxies together.
Speaker 3: Holding structures together.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And then there's Lambda, the Greek letter Lambda that represents dark energy.
Speaker 2: The mysterious push making the universe expand faster and faster.
Speaker 3: That's the one. It's this repulsive force driving acceleration the model. Mathematically, it actually works incredibly well for describing observations. But yeah, the big butt is that it requires us to accept that reality is fundamentally dominated by these two components that we just cannot find. We haven't detected them.
Speaker 2: Directly, and that huge puzzle is what we're diving into today. We're exploring a really radical new hypothesis.
Speaker 3: Truly radical.
Speaker 2: Yes, it suggests this entire dark sector, this, you know, ninety five percent needed to make the standard model work. Maybe it doesn't actually exist as substances anyway, right, Maybe it's just a cosmic illusion. We're looking at the work of Professor Rajendra Gupta from the University of Ottawa and.
Speaker 3: He's really challenging the foundations here totally.
Speaker 2: He's questioning the whole structure of modern cosmology.
Speaker 3: His core idea, and it's a big one, is that what we interpret as dark matter and dark energy, they aren't mysterious particles or fields Instead, they're just the effects we observe because the basic strengths of nature's forces think gravity, electromagnetism are actually slowly weakening over cosmic time, weakening and varying and varying subtly as the universe expands and ages. This is huge because physics has always, i mean always assumed these fundamental constants are just that constant, immutable.
Speaker 2: Wow. So okay, this isn't just tweaking an equation or looking for a new particle.
Speaker 3: Well no, no, far beyond that.
Speaker 2: This is proposing that the actual rules of the physical universe might be a changing over billions of years.
Speaker 3: That's the proposition.
Speaker 2: Before we get deeper into how this works, let's just clarify the names you mentioned Lambda CDM as the standard. What's the alternative framework GOOPED is putting forward.
Speaker 3: Called right, the new model is called CCC plus TL cosmology. It's quite a mouthful, I.
Speaker 2: Know, CCC plus TL. Okay, let's break that down. What do those letters stand for?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's technical, but crucial. CCC stands for coverying coupling constants.
Speaker 2: Coverying coupling constant.
Speaker 3: That's the key mechanism. It means the fundamental constants like G the gravitational constant, or see the speed of light, aren't fixed numbers. They change slowly. They co vary as the universe gets older.
Speaker 2: So if gravity was, say, slightly stronger billions of years ago than it is now.
Speaker 3: Exactly that changes everything. How we interpret distances, how we measure cosmic time. All of it gets recalibrated.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the CCC part. What about the TL.
Speaker 3: The TL stands for tired light. Tired light.
Speaker 2: That sounds familiar. Isn't that an older idea that was mostly discarded?
Speaker 3: It is, but this is a modified version integrated with the CCC part. The basic tired light idea was that light loses energy just by traveling vast cosmic distances.
Speaker 2: Making it look redder, red shifted.
Speaker 3: Precisely in this CCC plus TL model, the red shift we see from distant galaxies isn't only because space itself is stretching, which is the standard view.
Speaker 2: Right the expansion of space.
Speaker 3: Instead, it's partly due to this intrinsic energy loss plus the effects of the covering constants. It's combined effect. Gooptet uses this combination to fundamentally reset our cosmic measuring tape.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see. So if the constants aren't constant and redshift isn't purely expansion, then our whole map of the universe, its size, it's history, it all has to be.
Speaker 3: Reevaluated, completely reevaluated.
Speaker 2: So let's get into the core claim. Then, if these forces are changing, how on Earth does that explain both the accelerating expansion of the universe and the weird way galaxies rotate. These seem like totally different problems on vastly different scales.
Speaker 3: And that is the central sho with land to CDM, isn't it, And it's precisely the main attraction of the CCC plus tl IDEA. Standard cosmology needs those dark components because we have these two distinct sets of observations.
Speaker 2: One huge one relatively small.
Speaker 3: Exactly observations on completely different scales that just don't fit if you only use the visible matter we see. And crucially, land to CDM needs two totally different fixes conceptually and mathematically for these two problems.
Speaker 2: All right, let's tackle the big one first, dark energy. This operates on the cosmological scale right looking at the universe as a whole, where things are assumed to be sort of uniform.
Speaker 3: Precisely, we're talking scales larger than say, six hundred million light years across. On that scale, the universe looks statistically homogeneous, basically the same everywhere, smooth, uniform.
Speaker 2: And the standard model observation there is that.
Speaker 3: The expansion of the universe isn't just happening, it's speeding up.
Speaker 2: It's accelerating, which is weird, like throwing a ball up and having it go faster and faster instead of slowing down.
Speaker 3: That's the analogy. Yes, it defies gravitational intuition. Yeah, So to explain this, standard cosmology introduces dark energy lamba. It's effectively an unknown repulsive force, maybe an energy inherent to empty space itself, pushing everything apart.
Speaker 2: It's basically a fudge factor. Then something added to the equations to make them match the observation of acceleration.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a parameter added Einstein's equations that acts like a repulsive force. Whether it's a fudge factor or a real physical entity is the big debate. But yes, it's put there specifically to explain the acceleration.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's the standard view. A mysterious push across the vast uniform cosmos. How does Gukta's model with just weakening forces achieve the same effect, no push needed.
Speaker 3: It's a very neat substitution. Actually, if the universe's fundamental forces like gravity or weakening, on average uniformly across these vast scales as the universe expands, think about it. The gravitational pull that's trying to hold the universe together is getting weaker over time, like a.
Speaker 2: Stretched rubber band that's slowly dissolving.
Speaker 3: Good analogy. The effect of this diminishing pole looks exactly like the effect of some external repulsive push. The universe appears to accelerate outwards, not because there's a stronger engine pushing it dark energy, but because the brake's holding it back gravity are getting weaker.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's clever if f lips the cause and effect. So the big scale expansion problem is potentially solved by this global weakening of forces over time.
Speaker 3: That's the proposal for the cosmological scale.
Speaker 2: Yes, so now we have to zoom way way in down to the scale of individual galaxies and clusters. The astrophysical scale, This is where dark matter is supposed to live.
Speaker 3: We shift scales completely now we're talking about gravitationally bound systems, galaxies, galaxy groups. The universe here is not uniform at all. It's incredibly lumpy. Matter distribution is everything.
Speaker 2: And the classic dark matter problem arises from how galaxies rotate. Right, stars on the outskirts are moving way too fast.
Speaker 3: Way too fast. If you just can't up the mass of the stars gas and dust. You can see there isn't nearly enough gravity to hold onto those outer stars. They should just fly off into intergalactic space. Based on Newtonian physics or general relativity alone, so.
Speaker 2: The standard fix.
Speaker 3: The standard fix is to embed the visible galaxy within a huge invisible sphere, a halo made of cold dark matter CDM. This invisible mass provides the extra gravitational pull needed to keep the outer stars orbiting quickly, matching.
Speaker 2: Observations creating those flat rotation curves we observe exactly.
Speaker 3: But it requires inventing a new type of matter, maybe a wimp, a weakly interacting massive particle, something that has mass and gravity but doesn't interact with light, hence dark.
Speaker 2: Okay, now the big question, how does the CCC plus TL model with just its varying constants generate that same effect that extra gravity at the local galactic scale without needing any invisible matter halo.
Speaker 3: Right here, the mechanism changes focuses. It's not about the average weakening of forces over cosmic time anymore, which explained the dark energy effect. Okay, now, it's about the spatial variation of the forces within and around these lumpy structures like galaxies.
Speaker 2: Spatial variation, so the strength of gravity changes from place to place within a galaxy.
Speaker 3: In effect, yes, at the smaller lumpy scale, the very presence and distribution of normal matter, the stars, the gas, the central black hole causes the fundamental coupling constants themselves to vary locally.
Speaker 2: Spatially, So the constants aren't just changing smoothly over billions of years, they're also fluctuating depending on what matter is nearby.
Speaker 3: That's the idea, and this localized spatial variation in the constant generates an effect that modifies gravity, providing the extra pull that we currently attribute to dark matter.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I need to make sure I've got this straight. And for everyone listening. On the huge cosmic scale, the forces weaken uniformly over time, mimicking dark energy.
Speaker 3: Correct like a global average trend.
Speaker 2: But zoom into a lumpy galaxy and the forces vary in space reacting to the clumps of normal matter mimicking dark matter.
Speaker 3: That's the crucial distinction. The effect arises from the let's call them gravitational field modifications generated by these spatial fluctuations of the constants around dense objects.
Speaker 2: This is where it gets really interesting and potentially very powerful, because in the standard lambda CDM model, you need two completely different mathematical.
Speaker 3: Tools, right, absolutely different. You use cosmological fluid equations and the Freedman equations to handle lambda dark energy on large scales, and for dark matter, for dark matter halos and structure formation, you need complex end body simulations tracking millions of hypothetical dark matter particles interacting gravitationally. Totally separate physics, separate simulations.
Speaker 2: But Gupta's CCC plus TL approach.
Speaker 3: Claims to explain both the cosmic acceleration and the galactic quotation curves using the same underlying physical principle and the same core equation. Wow, the unity comes from a single idea. The effects we observe are just emergent properties of fundamental constants varying with cosmic age and local density. You don't need to add two separate mysterious ingredients to the cosmic soup.
Speaker 2: So instead of inventing a particle CDM and a field lambda, Goopta says, it's all down to one principle. The rules of physics aren't fixed.
Speaker 3: They're dynamic.
Speaker 2: That has a certain elegance to it, doesn't it. It simplifies things massively conceptually, at least, it changes the question from what new stuff is out there to how constant are the rules we thought we knew precisely?
Speaker 3: And that kind of theoretical economy is very appealing in physics. If a theory can unify disparate phenomena with a single underlying mechanism, it gains a lot of attention. It suggests maybe ninety five percent of the universe's observed behavior isn't due to unknown components, but arises from the dynamics of the five percent we can see and its interaction with evolving laws.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's dig into that mechanism a bit more, especially for the galaxies, because explaining those rotation terms without dark matter is notoriously difficult for modified gravity theories. How does this variation of constants actually create this this gravitational impostor.
Speaker 3: This involves a key mathematical parameter that emerges from the theory, usually denoted by the Greek letter alpha qulpha.
Speaker 2: Okay, is alpha a particle a field.
Speaker 3: Neither think of belbi as a mathematical term, a parameter that represents the effect of the evolving constants within the gravitational field equations when you allow the coupling constants to change over time in varying space. According to the CCC plus TL framework, this alpha term naturally appears in the math.
Speaker 2: So alpha quantifies the gravitational effect of the changing forces.
Speaker 3: You can put it that way. Yes, it quantifies the modification to standard gravity caused by the varying constants.
Speaker 2: And how does this mathematical term manage to do the job of a massive halo of invisible matter? How does it provide that extra pull?
Speaker 3: Effectively? Alpha inserts itself into the gravitational equations. It acts. It's like an extra term that modifies the strength of gravity. But crucially, its strength depends on the local conditions.
Speaker 2: Ah. Okay, so it's not a uniform effect.
Speaker 3: Not at all on the local scale. This alpha term provides the needed extra gravitational influence. To explain both the flat rotation curves and galaxies, and when treated differently on large scales, the cosmic acceleration.
Speaker 2: The key must be how alpha behaves differently depending on the scale. Right, A standard dark matter halo is usually pictured as this big, smooth, relatively static blob of stuff.
Speaker 3: Right. CDM halos are generally modeled as smooth distributions largely independent of the visible matter within them.
Speaker 2: But if alpha comes from evolving constants interacting with normal matter, its effect must be tied directly to where the normal matter is exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the critical difference. Alpha's is dynamic and highly scale dependent. On the huge cosmological scales where we dealt with the dark energy problem, we can approximate the universe's uniform so alpha is treated essentially as a simple constant value.
Speaker 2: There determined by fitting data like from supernovae.
Speaker 3: Correct assuming homogeneighty, lets us treat it as a single number for the whole universe at a given cosmic time.
Speaker 2: Then you zoom into one specific galaxy. You've got stars, gas, a black hole. Maybe the matter distribution is incredibly clumpy, not uniform.
Speaker 3: At all, extremely non uniform and that's where alpha gets interesting locally. At this astrophysical scale, Alpha itself varies significantly in space. Why because its value, its strength arises from the interplay between the evolving constants and the local concentration of standard matter. So the gravitational modification generated by alpha depends heavily on how much normal stuff is nearby and how it's ranged.
Speaker 2: So alpha isn't some independent halo. Its effect is directly coupled to the visible matter.
Speaker 3: Precisely, it's not an added substance. It's a modification of gravity induced by the normal matter within the context of evolving constants.
Speaker 2: Okay, and this leads to what sounds like a really counterintuitive prediction, something about an inverse relationship with density. Can you explain that again, Because normally more mass means more gravity, simple as.
Speaker 3: That, Right, This requires a bit of a mental shift. We're not adding extra mass here, we're modifying the gravitational field itself. The theory predicts this inverse relationship in regions where you have a very high density of normal visible matter, like the dense inner core.
Speaker 2: Of a galaxy, where gravity from stars and gas is already really strong.
Speaker 3: Exactly in those regions, the additional gravitational effect caused by this alpha mechanism is actually less significant relative to the already powerful gravity from the normal matter.
Speaker 2: Okay, And the flip side.
Speaker 3: Conversely, out in the regions where the density of detectable standard matter is very low, like the faint outer edges of a spiral galaxy, far from.
Speaker 2: The core, where normal gravity should be getting much weaker.
Speaker 3: Yes, where Newtonian gravity is dropping off rapidly. In those regions, the extra gravitational effect generated by alpha becomes larger, more dominant.
Speaker 2: Wait, that sounds backwards. Why would the extra gravity effect be weaker where normal gravity is strong, and stronger where normal gravity is weak.
Speaker 3: Think of it like this. Maybe in the dense galactic center, the gravitational field is already so intense due to all the stars and gas that the modification effect from the varying constants is somehow saturated or maybe just less noticeable compared to the immense gravity already there. It's like trying to make a small ripple in a storm tossed c The effect is negligible, okay, But as you move outwards, the gravity from the visible matter falls off dramatically. Remember the inverse square law it gets weak very quickly. At that point, the modification effect, this gravitational imposter alpha generated by the local spatial variation of the constants in that low density environment, that becomes the main player influencing the orbits of the outer stars. Its relative contribution becomes much larger.
Speaker 2: So the modification effect kicks in most strongly, precisely where standard gravity predicts things should be slowing down, but they aren't.
Speaker 3: That's the claim. It's not about adding mass, It's about the geometry of the gravitational field itself being altered, and that alteration is most pronounced where the gravity from normal matter.
Speaker 2: Is weakest, and that altered field provides the extra pole needed to keep those outer stars moving fast. Explaining the flat rotation curves exactly.
Speaker 3: It generates the required extra force without invoking any new exotic dark matter particles or halos. It's presented as a unified fix using just the dynamics of known forces and constants.
Speaker 2: It really all comes down to accepting that foundational premise that the constants of nature aren't truly constant over cosmic time. That's the lynchpin, and if you accept that, wow, the implications just ripple outwards. It doesn't just change what the universe is made of. It changes how old it is, maybe even where we should be looking for answers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and one of the first major implications addresses a real headache in standard cosmology, something that's become even more apparent with recent observations.
Speaker 2: You mean the age puzzle, the age.
Speaker 3: Puzzle exactly where it's sometimes called the impossible early galaxies problem.
Speaker 2: Right, This is about telescopes like James Webb finding these incredibly massive, well formed galaxies surprisingly early in the universe's history.
Speaker 3: Stunningly early. JWST keeps sending back images of galaxies that look remarkably mature, massive, structurally complex, existing at very high redshifts. That means we're seeing them as they were less than a billion years, maybe even just a few hundred million years after the Big.
Speaker 2: Bang, and under the standard timeline.
Speaker 3: Under the standard LAMBA CDM timeline, which puts the age of the universe at about thirteen point eight billion years, there just doesn't seem to be enough time for gravity to pull matter together, let it cool, form stars, and assemble these huge, ordered structures so quickly.
Speaker 2: It's like finding a fully grown ancient oak tree just weeks after planting an acorn. Standard physics struggles to explain that rapid formation.
Speaker 3: It's a real tension point. How did structure form so fast?
Speaker 2: So how does goop? Does evolving constance Model ceec C plus TL help with this?
Speaker 3: Well, remember how the model combines coverying, coupling constants and tired light. That combination fundamentally changes how we calculate cosmic distances and time scales based on redshift.
Speaker 2: It recalibrates the cosmic clock.
Speaker 3: It effectively stretches out the entire history of the universe. Gupta's specific calculations based on CVC plus TL suggests the model almost doubles the inferred age of the universe.
Speaker 2: Doubles it wait from thirteen point eight billion.
Speaker 3: Years to roughly twenty six point seven billion years.
Speaker 2: Twenty six point seven billion years, that's almost thirteen billion extra years of cosmic history.
Speaker 3: It's a monumental difference. Suddenly you have vastly more time in the early universe, and that extra time, that extra time provides ample room for the standard processes of gravitational collapse, cooling, star formation, and galaxy assembly to happen gradually. Those massive early galaxies seen by web are no longer impossible. They just had almost twice as long to form as we previously thought.
Speaker 2: So the universe becomes older, maybe ca elmer, more patient in its evolution.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It allows for passive evolution over a much longer timescale, which fits naturally with the observations without needing exotic super fast formation scenarios.
Speaker 2: That's a really compelling point. It connects two seemingly unrelated big problems, galaxy rotation and early galaxy formation, and potentially solves both with the same shift. In fundamental physics, the evolving constant a.
Speaker 3: Strong argument for the model's coherence.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, but let's talk about the practical side the So what for science today If this theory turns out to be right, or even partially right, what does it mean for all the effort going into searching for dark matter particles?
Speaker 3: Right now, that's the potentially enormous consequence. If the effects we attribute to dark matter are actually due to gravity behaving differently because constants are evolving.
Speaker 2: Then there's no dark matter particle.
Speaker 3: Defined correct, No WIMPs, no axions, no exotic particles making up these halos. It would imply that the massive incredibly sense sincative experiments build deep underground, like the.
Speaker 2: Xenon detectors trying to catch a wimp bumping into a nucleus.
Speaker 3: Exactly, those experiments, costing billions of dollars and involving decades of effort, might be searching for something that simply doesn't exist in that form. They could be looking for a ghost conjured by our assumption of constant physical laws.
Speaker 2: Wow. Think of the resources the scientific brain power focused on that direct detection effort. If this alternative is correct, that effort might need a major redirection.
Speaker 3: It would fundamentally shift the focus of particle cosmology and astrophysics. And this brings us back to that idea of simplicity, the principle often called Oukham's razor.
Speaker 2: Right, the idea that the simplest explanation is often the best. How does Gupta frame his theory as simpler than the standard LAMB to CDM model.
Speaker 3: He makes a pretty stark quantitative point. He argues that even if scientists do eventually detect some new exotic particle that could be a dark matter candidate.
Speaker 2: Which hasn't happened yet despite decades of searching.
Speaker 3: Right, But even if they did to explain the astronomical observations, the galaxy rotation, the cosmic structure, that dark matter would need to account for about eighty five percent of all matter in the universe. That means it would have to outweigh all the normal matter protons, neutrons, electrons by a factor of about six to one.
Speaker 2: So you'd have to accept that for every one part of the stuff we know exists, there are six parts of some completely different, invisible, exotic stuff dominating the universe's mass budget.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you have to invent this enormous amount of unseen substance just to make the standard equations work with constant laws.
Speaker 2: Whereas the CCC plus t HEL model, the evolving constance theory argues it simpler.
Speaker 3: It doesn't invent new substances. It proposes a modification to the behavior of the substances and forces we already know exist, driven by their interaction with the evolving universe itself. It uses the five percent of visible matter plus changing rules to explain the observations attributed to the other ninety five percent.
Speaker 2: Shifts the burden. Instead of finding new ingredients, we need to rigorously pest if the fundamental rules themselves are stable.
Speaker 3: That's the core argument for its elegance test the foundations before adding vast unseen complexities.
Speaker 2: Tying this all together, then it really suggests a potential paradigm shift in how we even approach physics, doesn't It Maybe moving away from adding new particles or fields every time there's an anomaly.
Speaker 3: Yes, away from what some might call ad hoc.
Speaker 2: Additions, and focusing instead on whether the laws and constances we've assumed to be absolute might actually be dynamic variable evolving with the universe.
Speaker 3: It forces us to question our most basic assumptions. For centuries, the constancy of constance has been bedrock. If that bedrock is actually shifting, even incredibly slowly, then our whole understanding changes. When we look billions of light years away, we're not just looking back in time.
Speaker 2: We're potentially looking at a universe operating under slightly different physical rules. Gravity might have been stronger or weaker, the speed of life light it might have been different.
Speaker 3: Precisely, that means every distant observation needs to be interpreted through that lens of potentially changing laws. It adds a whole new layer of complexity, but maybe it necessary.
Speaker 2: One, Okay, so summing up this deep dive, the core takeaway is pretty mind bending. The biggest mysteries in the cosmos, dark matter, dark energy might not be about hidden particles making up ninety five percent of reality.
Speaker 3: They might be cosmological illusions.
Speaker 2: Tricks played on us by the incredibly slow, subtle evolution of nature's fundamental constants over billions of years. The universe isn't necessarily filled with invisible stuff. Maybe it displays by slightly different rules over vast distances and times.
Speaker 3: And the appeal is that it offers potential unification. It's a single framework CCC plus TL that attempts to explain galaxy rotation, large scale structure, light bending, and cosmic acceleration with one consistent physical idea evolving natural forces.
Speaker 2: It provides that potential Aha moment, suggesting maybe the underlying reality is simpler than the complex lambda CDM model implies.
Speaker 3: It challenges the standard model across the board, from the smoothest cosmic scales down to the details of individual galaxies.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to a final thought, something for you the listener to really chew on. Professor Gupta finishes his paper by saying, sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.
Speaker 3: One, a classic appeal to Akham's razor.
Speaker 2: But this whole idea of evolving constants raises a really profound question about the future, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It absolutely does. If the fundamental forces like gravity are indeed weakening over cosmic time, which is the engine driving this whole CCCT plus TL theory, what does that actually imply for the ultimate fate of the universe?
Speaker 2: Our current predictions, things like the big freeze or maybe a big rip, they all depend heavily on how dark energy and gravity behave now and assume they'll continue behaving that way forever.
Speaker 3: We assume the current strength and laws are static over infinite future time.
Speaker 2: But if the forces themselves are constantly of evolving weakening, then how reliable are those long term predictions? How much of our physical reality is defined by laws that are fundamentally transient, not fixed.
Speaker 3: It introduces a kind of unpredictability, or at least a dynamic nature to the deep future. Are the rules of the cosmos written in stone or are they more like a living document constantly being revised by the universe itself. It certainly gives you something to think about.
Speaker 2: The pass schools