Speaker 1: Oh yes, it's the world famous Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one the Eagle. This segment's brought to you by her Toto Barbecue, some of the best barbecue you could ever have in your life. Locations in Mansfield, Arlington and Fort Worth, two locations a global life field uh and then one coming soon to Dallas to the Farmer's Market. Our buddy Brandon hur Todto on their family recipe. There's there's, there's spin on Mexican family recipes passed down over generations, and it is good, good, good her Totto barbecue.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this. It's good listeners. Here comes kt fun tweets were the round the sports. Now let's go around the sports.
Speaker 1: Kt fun Tweets has all the sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell yeah, let's go. It has been reported that the Cowboys first you know, formal interview since the Dion buzz, because really don't even know if the Dion thing was even an interview. It was more like contact, A couple guys holler at each other, talk about the good old days. More likely a couple of marketers helping each other out. That's probably what it was, although.
Speaker 4: Should we say the super crazy rumor thing we heard about that.
Speaker 1: I was just sitting there thinking that, so we had somebody had told us that they heard the irresponsible rumor, and we're fine with the irresponsible rumors. That Will McClay, Steven, and Jerry all got together to talk about ways they could all improve and things they need to change and whatnot. And the rumor was that that meeting did not go over well with Jerry, so he went rogue and just went and called Dion.
Speaker 3: Well, that would match what Jane Slater's been reporting that Jerry's been going flying solo on this.
Speaker 2: Really okay.
Speaker 4: I didn't see Jane say that.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: That's based on phone calls that she's had and she's like, I'm not reporting this, just like it appears that Jerry's just kind of doing his own thing right now.
Speaker 4: And I feel like that would totally match what Jerry said while they were showing him crying on land Man. He said, I bought this team for me. I didn't buy this for my kids. I'm hiring Dion all.
Speaker 3: This kind of that that would check out, honestly. Now, the idea that Dion needs a new contractor is working on a new contract at Colorado and a little rays would make sense. Keep in mind this is a story from twenty sixteen, but I do think it shows you how close Dion and Jerry are of the years. Jalen Ramsey was a big topic of discussion around here when the Cowboys said the number four pick in the draft, and it was like, is he a cornerback or is he a safety? He talked to Dion. Dion loved Jalen Ramsey because he went to Florida State. But the story, and I don't know if it's true or not, that Dion was like, he's more of a safety, yes, And if you're gonna top five, you're gonna want to take a corner, a log down corner, not a safety.
Speaker 2: Zeke was the top player on the board.
Speaker 4: Anyways, whether that's true or not that Deon said that, I remember that being a story at the draft.
Speaker 3: It's interesting now Jane said this last night, but basically that Jerry is currently on a solo mission. No official interviews or calls even place Tosi, and we learned today that Robert Sala had been contacted. So Robert Sala, if he is the Cowboy's first interview here, very interesting and I would argue off to a better start in the coaching search that I could have ever imagined, because I thought it would be Ron Rivera and that type of thing. Nor if Robert Sala is a good candidate, or I just always associate Ron Rivera and North Turner together. Yeah, I can see it. Let's get Jason in here for an interview too, just to you know, get the good old boys back together. I'd heard rich Basasia Basatchia thrown out there too, like the special teams coach for the backers now, but.
Speaker 4: He was our special teams coach here.
Speaker 2: For a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he would fit the mold of I need to have a coach who's not going to be around long.
Speaker 1: Okay, reset that Ben the coach did. I'm super excited about this. I saw Jane slay this and I was like, man, if you would just listen to this rock radio station, you would you would hear all of what's going on with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: It is weird. We're all over now.
Speaker 1: I my credibility is is not great because I was really certain that Belichick was in the mix.
Speaker 2: I missed on that. I swung and missed.
Speaker 3: But though, well, you know, if they didn't p foot around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and keep in mind that he made a decision before we got to the coaching vacancies, and he made that decision four days ago. The Cowboys were keeping McCarthy right, and so at this time maybe Jerry was disgruntled. But again, I had somebody tell me that Jerry and Belichick met. They told me the place they met, the time they met, and everything, and it was during the season. So I was like, oh, it's on, but it clearly wasn't. The Witten thing is my second attempt to swing for it. But Witton is you know, he has personally told me many years ago that his ultimate dream is to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. That's what he wants more than anything. And he said he had reams and reams of notebooks of plays he had drawn up and whatever. And so when we were kicking this around, we were like, well, you know, the thing I hadn't heard is that when people started reporting, hey, Whitten will probably be a part of the staff no matter what, I was like, oh, okay, so that means you do bring on And it seemed absurd, especially to some people saying, wait, you're gonna make him the head coach right away, that's his first job. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's also not super probable. Ideally you'd have him coach as the heir apparent under another coach. And so Jane was like, that may have been the plan to get McCarthy to stay for a couple of years and let Whitten be the air apparent.
Speaker 2: And maybe McCarthy's saying, Noah, I don't want that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the second that you tell McCarthy Jason Whitten is on your staff, we want you to do a two year deal.
Speaker 1: He knows what's up. He knows what's up. It has to go win a Super Bowl to keep his job. And he already ran off the air apparent. Yeah, he already did that once. Yeah, and so he's no one wants to be in that situation. And so we were kicking around, Hey, maybe the idea and we were just kind of freestyle and figuring this out on the fly, talking it out.
Speaker 2: Maybe the plan is to go get an.
Speaker 1: Older, re tread style coach who doesn't have a big, open, long window to just coach for a couple of years and mentor witting why Zimmer made sense.
Speaker 3: Mike Zimmer doesn't make sense in that regard, and maybe he wants to come back. Robert Salah does not match that. But Robert sala is a defensive head coach who might be open to.
Speaker 2: The coordinator.
Speaker 1: Right, But also think about if all this is true in what we're hearing, you know, if you just start piecing together what Jane is saying and this little rumor we heard, and this over here and that over there, you know, maybe that there's Steven, there's Will McClay, there's Jerry Jones, There's all sorts of other people in the mix. And maybe they they they're not all in agreement. And so maybe it's Steven and Will McClay were like, let's go get an actual coach. Yeah, And maybe it's Jerry or someone else saying no, I want Whitten.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And why would honestly, I mean I could be wrong. Why would Robert sala be on Jerry's radar?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: He's that seems like a smart move, right, Yeah, But this is a tricky thing.
Speaker 2: How how do we get here with Sala?
Speaker 4: Well, because it's Will and Steven, yeah, And and see that's the other thing, is like, this is what I was talking about yesterday when we were talking about, well, who are the great offensive mines? Man? There's so many different ways all these coaches are connected. Like I see it all the time in the NBA. They're like, oh, dude, I'll give you an example. Uh, Devin was talking about h So Devon got traded to the Nuggets, right he was there for thirty games. He wanted to go back there, and the GM at the time was Devon's friend, and so he thought he was going back, but the coach wanted to go a different direction with that roster spot.
Speaker 3: You like, you never know how all these people are tied together. I mean, Sala's track records incredible. He's in the Shanahan coaching tree family. His best friend is Matt Leffluor, the coach of the Packers. His offensive coordinator was Matt Leffuur's brother, Mike Cliffloor with the Jets for a while until Rogers came in and brought his guys. They were a top five offense pretty much through any metric you want to find in his time there. He got fired because they were never top twenty five in offense. They couldn't get a quarterback, and then they brought Rogers in, and Rodgers pushed him out. Salad. Here could be as simple as Will McLay or Steven Jones texting I and Rappidport and saying, throw that name out there to combat the d on headlines.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but but he would fit the Witten thing at least a defensive guy.
Speaker 2: Witten's an offensive guy. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of amazed that not more people are talking about that. There aren't more people talking about the idea of this being held for two years and then Witten coming in or one year, and that's the whole things. Would Jerry fashtrak this thing and would Wit and take it?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 4: Here's the other thing I think about this. If this reporting is right, and this little thing that Ben and I heard today, if this is accurate, you know, I mean not again, it's all hearsay. Yeah, but we've talked all the time about Will McLay and man, it's what a gem. And how come he doesn't go somewhere else?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: If I'm sitting in a meeting and I'm trying to be serious about football and the owner goes, oh, I'll show you. I'm gonna interview Dion, I'd be like, man, I think it might be time to go somewhere else. Well, you can have this, Steven, let me know how it works out. Yeah right, Well it's like you can have it.
Speaker 3: He will have it eventually, probably, Yeah, they Dion's Another reason Dean's not realistic to me is Dion has a ton of coaches on his staff. Dude. Mike McCarthy was asked to trim the staff down a little bit. We'll save a little money, which is so sad, like they're just not He's not gonna change.
Speaker 2: I did. I did see that. I see.
Speaker 1: I hadn't heard any I'm not saying we were the first ones to have it. Probably were, but I don't. I haven't heard anyone else sing it prior to us talking about wit and being a serious candidate. In fact, I got killed for saying it on social media. I got killed. People are like, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He's coming out of high school. Wait, what do you like? Shut up, take your owner pants off.
Speaker 4: Man. But Jordan Schultz had that, had that d note, he had witness top five candidate yetes go, yeah, go, this makes.
Speaker 1: Sense and so yeah, I the fan had this thing though. At some point in the last couple of days, I saw it on social media and it was they were interviewing Jerry Jones about Dan Campbell, and while answering a question about Dan Campbell, he started talking about what a great coach Jason Witten's going to be. Oh really, the tight end connection there, you know, took him right there. It's a former player tight end. It's a big you know, it's that intense player to culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this is interesting because Witten is like, yeah, cowboy made, custom made here. But it's going to be fun for the names that come out to now go Jerry Steven and will serious candidates or entertainment and wouldn't probably to me, falls in between a serious head coaching candidate and a headline because he is. And it's not his fault that he's the headline guy. It's nothing about his coaching record. But that is sexy. It's way sexier than you're gonna hire, you're gonna bring in, you know, Kellen.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to this.
Speaker 4: I want to go back to all the reports two years ago that Jerry never wanted McCarthy in the first place, and and it was. It was a Stephen maybe a will thing, but it was a Stephen thing, if that, and there was a lot of that out there, there was, And if you believe that, don't you think Jerry's that they're going I did what you wanted to do.
Speaker 2: And look at this, this makes so much sense. I'm not buying it.
Speaker 4: And the last time he had this conversation with Steven, he said, what you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Hit me?
Speaker 2: And then he signed Deon for all that money. I believe it, dude, that's my favorite Jerry story. What you're gonna do? Hit me? Son? Pinning him against the wall.
Speaker 1: When was that Jordan Schultz article that came out Sunday night? How long have you heard me talk about witting as a head coaching kid? Ten years at least? Thank you, thank you pre covid. I don't know that it's been anywhere else Prior to that. I wish I'd swing and missed on Belichick.
Speaker 3: It's not that you must missed on Belichick. It's at Belichick got really impatient or leave it right, college college job that he can leave if you want.
Speaker 1: If he was, yeah, now you have to buy him out. And you're already trying to get rid of coaching payroll cheap. They're not buying out anybody, but that would have been the perfect old man to hold it down and run the defense for witting.
Speaker 3: And maybe it's Zimmer Seriously, that'd be great, or maybe it's like, screw it, I'm doing what i want because I'm old. Here's Jason's job, which would be fun.
Speaker 4: I think it's just so interesting if all this is true about about yes, Steven and Will and Jerry over here.
Speaker 1: I believe it, though, yeah, this makes sense, are too good stuff. If we hear any more juicy rumors will pop in, break in and uh and bring it to you. But again, this is a place where you get a little Metallica and you get all the latest greatest cowboys talk all in one station.
Speaker 2: Everybody wins.