Speaker 1: And this episode is called Cricket.
Speaker 2: What's up? Guys?
Speaker 3: Welcome to season three, episode forty seven of Dinner with the Healers. My name is Eric, and with me as always are my lovely wife Amanda Hi, guys, my beautiful daughter Stella Hi, and my super handsome son Henry.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 3: If this is your first time listening to us, we are an episode by episode Blue podcast where we watch an episode of Blue and then talk about it and the lessons we learned. Does that sound right to you, guys?
Speaker 5: It sure does awesome.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into the business. Be sure to check out the show description. You'll find a link to our website.
Speaker 4: Thebluepodcast dot com, our email address Blue Podcasts at gmail dot.
Speaker 3: Com, links to our social media, a link to our tea public merch store, time stamp so you can jump right to the part of the episode you're looking for. And you'll also find a link so you can sign up to listen to the show ad free. It's just one dollar a month via Patreon and it is great and a huge, huge thank you to our subscribers. You guys are awesome.
Speaker 5: You sure are. We appreciate you guys so much.
Speaker 3: Henry, speaking of people, who are awesome. What should we do next?
Speaker 4: The halouts Okay, listen up, everyone has to clap and go whoa yeah, all right, that's awesome.
Speaker 6: Got it.
Speaker 3: By Let's start on Spotify. We heard from Una, our good friend, Daisy Muffin and Socks. Dylan who likes Stella the most.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dylan, Grant.
Speaker 3: Dude two, Gabriella who says the Girl's rule she likes Amanda and Stella the best.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, Gabriella.
Speaker 3: We heard from Aliah Skippy Tractor Beach baby Girl who said two consecutive integers which total at thirteen, Beatrix Lucas, Julia, bree Evy Jamie who said they like me awesome, Poe Chloe, Pretzel, Iris and Sam who likes Henry the best.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sim.
Speaker 3: We got some emails. We got a voice message from our friend Brandon.
Speaker 6: Greetings, dinner with the Healers. This is your friend Brendan speaking to you once again. So I have another Bluey moment to share with you from the episode Mini Bluey, I big Bingo.
Speaker 1: I was in sure which bed to sit on you. Okay, I'm a dad one two of yous. I don't want any of me it's very mude. It's because I'm annoying and you're not annoying at all.
Speaker 4: Yes I am.
Speaker 1: I'm super annoying. Really yeah, I'm just different annoying.
Speaker 6: B Louie Christine Healer. I love you with all my heart to say this to you. You are so not annoying. You are awesome. Keep that in mind if you please, all right, talk to you again soon, Bye bye, Brendan.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, Bluuie is awesome, and I don't think she's annoying at all. And I don't think Bingo is annoying either. She's pretty awesome too, just like you, buddy.
Speaker 2: Let me counter with this.
Speaker 3: I would say that there are times when Bluie is annoying.
Speaker 1: I sort to just talk all the time. It doesn't even need to make sense. Just noise is a fine, But.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean she's not awesome. I suspect that you probably find me quite annoying a lot, but I also hope that sometimes you think I'm awesome.
Speaker 2: Would I be correct in that?
Speaker 5: Yes, you would be, That's what I thought. But yes, you are pretty.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Brendan. Thank you for that, and you are right. Bluie is awesome. You guys agree with that. Yeah, we got an email from our friend Yafa. We got a voice message from Margo, who had just listened to our Turtleboy episode.
Speaker 4: Hello, jennerythe Healers.
Speaker 1: I just wanted you to know that from the episode Turtle Boy, Dougie's Mom's name is Daisy.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 4: How do you stop this thing?
Speaker 5: That's cute? Margot. Thank you so much for sending us your message and letting us know what Dougie's mom's name is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had no idea. Did either of you guys know?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't. I didn't know the name.
Speaker 3: But that's really cool. Thank you so oh so much. We got an email from Jack Jack, We hope you're doing great. And we got a voice message from Lisa.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dinner with the Healers. My name is Lisa and I love your podcast. My favorite episode is Housework and my favorite minisode is Banni Bear. I have two sisters, Arena and Jessica.
Speaker 4: I would like to.
Speaker 7: Join Eric's fan club and Arena will like to join Henry's. We love your podcasts. Good luck with the other episodes. Please let me be in the Howlouts.
Speaker 5: Bye, Lisa, Thank you so much for sending us a message. It was great to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much, and thank you for wanting to join the Eric fanclub. And I'm glad that your sister likes Henry and wants to join his Isn't that awesome, Henry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really awesome.
Speaker 1: II.
Speaker 3: Five's all around for the dudes, am I right?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 3: Guys, thank you so much for all of the awesome messages and comments and five star reviews.
Speaker 2: We read all.
Speaker 3: Of them and we want you to know they mean so so much to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you guys so much for sending us all your messages and letting us know how much you love the show, and we just we appreciate all of you so much. You guys are great.
Speaker 3: If you would like to send us a voice message, ask your parents to help you record yourself on a tablet or phone or computer and email the file to Estella. Where should they email that.
Speaker 4: Blue Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. Well, guys, we just got done watching cricket.
Speaker 1: Cricket is just about hitting a bull around the gross.
Speaker 3: Crickets about more than that, kid, Could you tell us what was going on at the beginning of this episode.
Speaker 4: At the beginning of the episode, Bandit was talking about when they were playing cricket and he sales out somebody's birthday, but he couldn't remember whose birthday it was. Blue. He got Bingo out. But then when Stripe came up the bat, Bandit told everybody the coming close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he didn't think his brother was going to be able to hit it very far, did he?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't think he could. And what happened It went really far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the way over the fence. Now listen, we need to put something out there. First thing. While we talk about this. We don't know very much about the sport cricket, do we.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: Not, but it sure seems cool and we really really loved this episode. Lucky's dad Pat asks who hasn't had a turn at bat? And there's only one person, Stella, who is it?
Speaker 4: The only person who hadn't had to turn the bat yet was Rusty.
Speaker 3: In the meanwhile, Blue is talking about how she is bored with cricket and she wants to play something else.
Speaker 2: Stella, do you remember what she said?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure Blue said that she wants to play a game called tiggy.
Speaker 2: Do you guys know what that is?
Speaker 5: I have no clue, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: It's tag.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in Australia, that's what they call tag is tigy.
Speaker 5: Cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Bandit tells Blue that as soon as he gets Rusty out, they can play something else, Amanda, What did Blue tell Bandit?
Speaker 5: Blue told Bandit that he will not get Rusty out?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Never, And what happens when he pitches to him, He does.
Speaker 5: Not get him out.
Speaker 4: I think I can handle it.
Speaker 2: Bull Bits.
Speaker 5: Blewie was right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bennett starts telling the story about how Rusty got to be so good at cricket, and it shows him playing and he plays all day with his brothers. What does he do when they're not around, Amanda?
Speaker 5: He plays by himself by hitting the ball up against the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: During all these times we see Bandit and everyone else trying to get a ball pass Rusty. And I loved when Rusty sent it sailing and it went to somebody, Amanda, who's one of your favorites?
Speaker 2: Who was it?
Speaker 5: It went right over to Snickers, and Snickers was having a hard time catching it, and then it fell to the ground and he was having a hard time bending over to pick it up.
Speaker 3: Because he's a big, tall Wiener dog. Exactly, Henry, how did Snickers do it throwing?
Speaker 4: He just throw it that far at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he probably hasn't had much practice throwing. He just needs to work at it, doesn't.
Speaker 4: He Yeah, he just needs to work at it.
Speaker 3: They come up with a plan to get Rusty out, pat and Stripe stand in one spot and bandit is gonna pitch. And they said he had worked on something. Henry, do you remember what it was?
Speaker 4: Did they say square cut? I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure either, but I think it must have something to do with hitting it at a certain angle because they tell the story about Rusty's house, Amanda.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 5: Rusty was playing cricket with his dad and his brother and sometimes when they would hit the ball, it would go through the window right to his mom in the case kitchen while she was doing dishes. So then Rusty practice and practice where he could hit the ball and it would go in between the windows of the house, avoiding going through the window and the kitchen where his mom was.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Henry, how did it go for Stripe and pat.
Speaker 4: Well, they didn't get the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rusty hit it right between them. He has got some laser accuracy, doesn't he. Yeah, Stripe is going to pitch, and now they're starting to want to play dirty on him to get him out. Henry, what were they planning on doing.
Speaker 4: They're gonna throw it, Sodell hit a crack, Sudell mess him up.
Speaker 3: I love that Bandit had some things to say about his brother's athletic ability.
Speaker 6: Stripe couldn't spend to save himself.
Speaker 3: A lot of these terms I only understand from context of seeing what's happened on the screen, because, like I said, Stella, do we know all these cricket terms?
Speaker 4: No, we don't.
Speaker 2: No, but it seems cool, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: Bennett tells the story about how Rusty, while his dad was deployed in the Armed Services, played at Jack's house. Stella, what was going on at Jack's house?
Speaker 4: At Jack's house, Rusty had trouble playing because his yard was more bumpy than smooth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lots of tree roots sticking out and that sort of thing. Yeah, but he got good at hitting it, even when it would take a surprise bounce, didn't he. Yeah, he did what happened to the ball that Stripe pitched at him?
Speaker 4: Rusty was able to hit it and it went really far by.
Speaker 3: Now the guys are starting to take this personally, that this little kid is getting the best of them at this sport, and they're trying to come up with a new plan.
Speaker 2: Every batsman has a week's.
Speaker 5: Bock, that's it to him for a pisce attack and Rusty's tie.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I have a guy.
Speaker 3: Rusty, Amanda, what were they planning on doing?
Speaker 5: Their next plan was to try to throw the cricket ball hard and.
Speaker 3: Fast, Yeah, so that he wouldn't be able to get it. Yeah, but what story does Bandit tell about Rusty?
Speaker 5: Bandit is telling the story about how Rusty was watching his older brother play cricket and he wanted a turn to hit as well, But with it being his older brother, the big boys play a little differently. They don't use a tennis ball like what they're playing with today. They use an actual cricket ball, which is much harder. Rusty's older brother tells him he can have a turn as he's putting some protection gear on him, but he tells Rusty don't expect them to go easy on you, just because you're my little brother. Rusty gets up there to hit and he misses because the boy that is pitching he throws the ball fast and hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tiny was that guy's name. He sent one burning down the pitch and Rusty got beamed. And we see him limping home with his brother and I heard you go all because it was it was so relatable and so cute, and he could not go to sleep thinking about it in the bunk bed, and his brother tells him, maybe wait until you're older. But we see him with his eyes wide open, trying to figure out how he was going to handle this, Henry, What do we see after that?
Speaker 4: We see him go back again again, but he can't hit the ball because he's afraid of Tiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tiny's pitches are so fast and so scary that he couldn't get past. Asked his fear of it?
Speaker 2: Could he?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he couldn't.
Speaker 3: I was starting to feel bad for Rusty at this point, because we see how much he loves cricket. Now what was going on then, Henry? What happens at Rusty's house right after that?
Speaker 4: Did they get a letter from Rusty's dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, his dad is in the Army, I guess. And he sends the family a letter and it is really sweet, telling him how much he misses them. And all of that, Rusty is out front, sitting on the fence, staring off into space. Stella, what does Rusty's mom tell him?
Speaker 4: Rusty's mom tells him that there was a PS on the note for Rusty from his dad. Can you read it?
Speaker 8: This?
Speaker 6: Tawny sounds like he's got some pace on him.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 6: I wish I could be.
Speaker 8: There to bawl a few at you, but I can't right now, Mike. But look, as you grow up, you'll face hot things than a cricket ball, and you'll have two choices back and white. I get out, whose is it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: He's stepping front and the play a pole shop. Just kick your eye on the bowl and take care of your little sister fully.
Speaker 2: Love dad.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that was the sweetest thing. And I bet that meant the world to Rusty. What do you think, Stella?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it probably meant a lot to him to hear that from his dad.
Speaker 2: Stella.
Speaker 3: When we see Rusty at bat against Pat, what happens?
Speaker 5: He hits the.
Speaker 4: Ball and it goes super super far.
Speaker 3: The guys cannot believe it, and all they want to do is get Rusty out so that they can go eat now is what they're trying to do. I think, was that right, Amanda?
Speaker 5: Yes, they wanted to go eat their hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Nah, hang on, Rusty one more.
Speaker 1: I tell you wouldn't get Rusty out.
Speaker 2: Come on, Pat, This one's for dignity.
Speaker 3: Pat sends one burning down as fast as he can.
Speaker 2: Amanda. What happens?
Speaker 5: Rusty hits the ball, but he does something special with this ball. When he hits it, he makes it pop up in the air and it goes right over towards his sister and she catches.
Speaker 2: It and it made her day.
Speaker 5: It did.
Speaker 3: He had so much control that he could take that fast pitch and just lob it to her. I thought that was so sweet, that popfly.
Speaker 5: It really was sweet. It made her smile so big.
Speaker 1: I love you out why.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it?
Speaker 3: What a catch. As they're walking towards the house, Henry, what do we see happen with Rusty?
Speaker 4: He walks past his older self, which is a professional cricket player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we see the background dissolve and it is stands with tons of people in him, and we get to see a glimpse of Rusty's future, and that was the episode. Henry, did we forget anything?
Speaker 4: Nope, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what it's time for.
Speaker 5: Did we learn anything today?
Speaker 2: Amanda?
Speaker 3: Could you tell us what were we supposed to learn today?
Speaker 5: Practicing something that you love to do over and over will have a good payoff later because we see Rusty just practicing playing cricket that he loves so much, and at the end of the show we see him being a professional cricket player.
Speaker 3: And that doesn't mean that that could just happen to everyone, but it does take all that work to get to where he is. That's right, Amanda. What about you, Henry?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the lesson is is that sometimes you have to make a choice, either you back out or either you go all in, and you should go all in most of the time.
Speaker 3: That's really good, Henry. Yeah, that's what Rusty's dad was telling them in the letter, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What about you, Stella?
Speaker 4: I think they both said it really well.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: I think Mom and Henry did a really good job with it. One thing I would add in this case is that a lot of these things we see Rusty doing. He's very passionate about cricket, and these things apply to cricket, but they also apply to so many things in life, problem solving, how to handle emotional or difficult situations. These lessons he's learning through cricket also apply to all kinds of lessons in life.
Speaker 2: The thing Henry.
Speaker 3: Said with you either back away or you step out and go all in, that applies to so many things in life. And all of these lessons really helped form Rusty into who he is, and who he is is not only a great athlete, but a really, really kind person. When you see the way he wanted his sister to feel good because he wanted to do what his dad asked and take care of his little sister, and that's how he did it. That was so so cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was so very sweet.
Speaker 3: Does anybody have any parting thoughts about the episode? Yes, Henry, I think.
Speaker 4: That this is a really good episode.
Speaker 2: I do too. I love it.
Speaker 3: I wish I understood all of the cricket terminology better, but I do really love it.
Speaker 4: I really like Kelly talked about Rusty in this episode, just because I feel like we haven't only seen a lot of him in the series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not too much, just in the Army episode, and we only see him be kind of rigid, and we don't really know much about what drives him and what motivates him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought it was cute how Blue kept telling your dad, you'll never get Rusty out.
Speaker 3: I think it's neat too, how it was matter of fact. They all know Rusty's amazing, and that's just how it is. Yeah, it's such a thing that they're not even impressed by it. They're like, no, that's Rusty. He's the best, and he really was the best. This episode is surprisingly emotional for me, and I'm not exactly sure why. I think Amanda and the kids were looking at me weird when I was getting all teary eyed during it. But something it does remind me of is Bannett's telling this story, and we're imagining he's telling this years later, once Rusty really is a professional cricket player by that point. Ban it's reminiscing about how they tried to get Rusty out and couldn't, and it makes me think of this time with playing the guitar. I remember my dad. I wasn't ever sure that he really thought my guitar playing was that cool or that good. And he had a friend of his that played guitar in a band, and he asked him to come to our house one time and see if he could give me any pointers. I played my guitar for him and he went back and told my dad I can't show him anything.
Speaker 2: He's awesome.
Speaker 3: And my dad looked at my guitar playing differently, and it meant the world to me because all it took was for somebody he respected in that area to say, your kid can play the guitar really well, and that changed the dynamic of it. And interestingly enough, not that long ago, I got a message from that guy Facebook and he asked me, Hey, remember that time, And I told your dad man, there's nothing I can show him, And it blew my mind that that stuck out to him the same way that sticks out to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: It was really something. It was really something. Anyway, Sorry about that. I don't mean to get so emotional. It's just really sweet.
Speaker 3: And this episode makes me think of that, and I think it's cool to see. I'm imagining how all the old men now in the neighborhood because you're thinking this is twenty years later. How they're all proud of this kid.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Anyway, sorry guys, we think Bluuie is awesome and until next time, we are out of here.
Speaker 5: Bye guys, Bye bye,