Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray. I'm going you easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Madison. The weather seems a lot nicer tonight. I mean it's not perfect, don't get me wrong, but it's a lot nicer tonight than it has been the last couple of nights. Wherever you are here in New England, hopefully it's a little more cool than it was the last couple of nights. My name is Dan Ray. Rob Brooks is the producer of the program. He's back at broadcast headquarters Central at the iHeart Brain Trust Brain He's where it's all happening. I'm simply a guy out here somewhere in a bunker doing my show remotely. Anyway. My name is Dan Ray, and as I said, I'm the host of Nights Side, and we have some interesting guests coming up tonight. We're going to talk with Boston Globe opinion columnist Kareine Hajar about that mayoral race in New York earlier this week. Very interesting development in that race, So long to Andrew Cuomo. We'll also talk about some comments made by a congressman up here, Congressman Auchincloss, who points out that there's a lot of stores he goes into where things now are locked up lock and key, and in order to get maybe a tube of toothpaste or a bottle of hair shampoo, you have to get the clerk to unlock the locked up area. And he feels that is enduring to the detriment of him and his fellow Democrats. And they will also talk about a news conference this morning in which the Pentagon, led by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff US Air Force General Dan Kin, who provided a lot of information about those strikes on the nuclear sites in Iran over the weekend. But first off, we have our four guests this hour, and we're going to start off with a certified financial planner and education fellow had a group called Alliance for Lifetime Income. It's a nonprofit that educates the public but the value of guaranteed lifetime income during retirement, which of course includes smart healthcare cost planning. My guest is named jo Jay. Welcome to Nightside, and thank you very much for having me tonight. So your focus is medicare, I believe, is that correct.
Speaker 3: I have a book I've published book IF called Maximizer Medicare. It sits in most of the largest library systems throughout the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I assume people could also probably get that book through Amazon dot Com or something like that, and we can talk about that a little bit later. Most people assume that Medicare will be there upon their retirement and they no longer are covered by the insurance of perhaps the company or the government system where they work. Give us the overview for those who what do people be thinking about? There's a lot of folks who listen to my show in their twenties, thirties, forties, fifties. The concept of Medicare probably hasn't crossed their minds recently, So why should they What should they be thinking about? I guess is my question.
Speaker 3: First of all, Well, for sure, the Medicare is health insurance for people who are sixty five and older. And now we have in the cross fire of current events with the Big Beautiful Bill, the idea of subsidized health insurance, meaning that mass Health, for example, in Massachusetts, does a good job of lowering health insurance premiums for people who have to purchase health insurance for themselves, and that is now the subject of debate as part of the Big Beautiful Bill, and more directly to your question, as people get older, they're preparing for retirement, perhaps early retirement if they want or are required to. Then they're trying to build a bridge, if you will, to Medicare when everything becomes notably less expensive than if you have to buy health insurance for yourself without any of these tax credits that well.
Speaker 2: For example, Medicare. For that matter, Medicaid, which is different than Medicare, social Security, those are all under the big umbrella of entitlements, but their entitlements that in most cases people have paid over their lifetime in order to be entitled to those benefits. And sure, I would hope that you know social Security. They talk about Social Security changes. I don't know if you're an expert in that, but you probably know quite a bit about it. I don't think they're going to cut the Social Security benefits. I think they might push the retirement age out six months or a year because Americans are living longer. What is the danger to let's put Medicaid aside, which I think is the most controversial issue. What should older Americans who are going to rely have to rely upon Medicare? What should they be? What are they concerned about in terms of the big beautiful tax bill, so called big beautiful tax bill.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that, for example, the viability of Social Security Medicare is still on solid footing. I realized that it's I realized that it's very attractive to, you know, try draw attention to these narratives that it's going bankrupt or your benefits are going to be cut off. That I don't. I would stop short of that conclusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think any political party who decided to cut off Social Security of Medicare would be basically involved in a circle firing squad which politicians may not be the brightest mobs in the tree, but they get they get to get that one Medicaid is going to have. I think some potential cuts for people who are quote unquote able body. But one of the things against this backdrop that bothers me. And again, you're a financial guy. I keep looking at that national debt that keeps going up. And I'm a baby boomer, so I'm never going to have to pay for the national debt, but my kids and grandkids will. So with entitlements making up a substantial portion of the federal budget, I've seen figures of you know, seventy percent and around there. How can we provide all the services that we've promised, meaning the government, and at the same time get that debt down to if not manageable, get it down to words zero. Can that be done realistically?
Speaker 3: I think the path is narrow, to be candid with you.
Speaker 2: Be difficult, difficult.
Speaker 3: Because as you know, as you can see every day and certainly over the past months, getting the toothpaste back into the tube is difficult stuff. Like you rightly pointed out, the elected officials high up on the priority list is to be re elected. So to try to say you're going to roll back benefits is a difficult task. So now the question is how to manage that? And I think I do think, however, that some of the questions about Medicaid, which does affect For example, I've read a statistic that something like more than two thirds of the country will know someone firsthand who relies on Medicaid, which is a tremendous number. You're talking about something like eighty million people on medicaid.
Speaker 2: That's twenty five percent of the population.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, that's it insane.
Speaker 2: And when you look at it, I mean, is a very high number, very high number. And again, if everybody legitimately deserves it, great, But if there are people who are milking the system, milking the system, come on. That money should be for people who really need it. That's my philosophical base base of operations. I want. I don't mind paying taxes, not thrilled about it, but I want to make sure it goes to people who need the help.
Speaker 3: And that is obstensibly what the reasoning for this able bodied. Then that terminology that you used to regarding medicaid eligibility, whether there's a standard that is consistent across the nation, And to be candid with you, the answer to that is probably know because of the fact of a very very peculiar way of a combination of the way that medicaid gets funded. Sure, meaning that in Massachusetts it's you know, Method one, in Arkansas it'll be Method three.
Speaker 2: Yep. There was a pre court decision today that I think came down regarding those that that that very issue that you're identifying.
Speaker 3: And that creates all sorts of imbalances. So as a result, what we've had, we've gone through a period past the pandemic, where there's been something called Medicaid redetermination where that was put on hold, whether or not the people who were entitled to medicaid, that was that entire redetermination process was put on posts that had restarted Massachusetts had completed more more quickly than pretty much every state in the country. But that's still ongoing now. And then on top of that, we will it is yet to be seen what happens through the big beautiful bill and what changes that might bring to Medicaid redetermination. And that is not even including those people who are benefiting from lower health insurance benefit, lower health insurance premiums, lower deductibles, lower out of pocket maximums through something called the Advanced Premium Tax Credit.
Speaker 2: It's pretty it's pretty complicated, jaos, that's for sure. How can folks get I know you said your book is in every library, which is great. It's the twenty twenty four to twenty five edition, so it's up to date. If folks want to get that book for themselves. Is it a tome like five pages or is it No? No, it is readable, relatively readable.
Speaker 3: I tried to make it relatively readable because I realized that the population is not completely up to speed, and it is the difficult thing about medicare and health insurance is complicated because you've been relying on your employer for most of the time, and now all of a sudden you have to learn this new language. And in addition to that, Medicare has this additional complication, which is the some of the terminology looks the same, it doesn't work exactly the same.
Speaker 2: And whatever the government can do to complicate things, they're really good at that. Jay Old, thank you very much. The book Maximize Your Medicare available I assume through Amazon, if I would assume.
Speaker 3: Easy anywhere you can buy a book.
Speaker 2: Anywhere you can buy this book, and everybody seems to use Amazon these days. Thanks very much. Look, I appreciate you taking the time to walk us through some very complicated issues and some very difficult issues, and love to have you back at some point. Thank you very much for your time tonight.
Speaker 3: My privilege, DN.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Beck At you we get back. We're going to give you something that everyone's going to like. Fee waved Adoptathon for dogs at the MSPCA. We're gonna be talking about Jamie Garabedian. You can get a dog, no fees. This is first of three summer adoption events. If you've ever thought about getting a pal for around your house, ye gotta stick with us. Coming back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm telling you Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have ever thought about adopting a dog, have I got a place for you to go with us? Is Jamie Garabedian, project manager of the mspca's Angels Animal Protection Division. And we are going to talk about a fee waved, which means you save some money adoptethon for dogs. My daughter adopted my favorite dog in the world, Corgi Mustard is his name, and it's amazing the great dogs that are in shelters around Massachusetts. Hi, Jamie Garabedian, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm good, how are you? Thanks for having me?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you my best friend in the world right now is Mustard the.
Speaker 5: Dog and great name?
Speaker 2: Well, oh yeah, great and a great dog. Let me tell you, so tell us about what people could do. This is it this weekend?
Speaker 5: It's this week it's running currently all the way through Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that that includes this weekend. That's great? Uh? And is it just uh uh in Boston or is it in several locations. I know that MSPCA has several locations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is at all for mspc Angel shelters. So there's one in Boston, in one in Salem, and one in Centreville on Cape Cod. And then in addition to our location, some of our MATHS coalition partners are joining as well. So you can go to Berkshire Humane Society, Worcester Animal Rescue League, Boston Animal Care and Control, Thomas J. O'Connor and Animal Control and Adoption Center, and then Animal Protection Center of Southeastern Massachusetts. So we pretty much have the entire state covered. No matter where you live, there is a shelter near Yeah.
Speaker 2: And let's be clear, Massachusetts is not the size of Alaska or Texas. So you got the entire that's for sure. Okay, So what's the deal? What someone's listening right now and they've said, you know, and I want to get a dog. What do you have available? Yeah? Young dogs, older dogs, big dogs, small dogs, all sorts of different sizes and shapes.
Speaker 1: I assume all of the above.
Speaker 5: You know, in shelters, typically we tend to see larger breed dogs than smaller breed dogs. But that doesn't mean we don't have any small dogs. So if you go to MSPCA dot org flash dogs, you can find all of the information about our open hours, the other locations open hours, and how to see the dogs that are available and how to come meet them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now can you sit at home. If you go to the can you look up all the different locations and see what dogs are available. Because if somebody's looking for a Corgi, that was what my daughter wanted. She found a Corgi at the Situate Animal Shelter. And I'm telling you, this dog is like the smartest person I know. I mean, trust me, way smarter than me. Probably you're you're pretty close because you get you get all of this through osmosis from the dogs with this great dog. Great dog. He screened his foot last night and when my daughter came home, he was sitting there like holding his par up like a human body. He send me the picture of them. Uh, and he's fine, he's absolutely better. Yeah. I went to the went to the vet and that said take him outside for a walk, see how he's doing. Apparently he might have just I don't know. Stubb is tallis I don't know? So how how do people figure out Okay, they if you know, how do they see the dogs? Do they have to drive to each of the locations.
Speaker 5: No, So if you go to that website www dot MSPCA dot org slash dog kind of a landing page with all the information it has links on there to each location that's participating their open hours, how to see their available dogs, and on our website, the MSPCA dogs will be marked with a star, so they all know which ones are part of the event by the star on their profile.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's great. And then normally the adoption fees not this week. The balance of this week through the through the weekend is through Sunday.
Speaker 5: I assume yeah, through Sunday.
Speaker 2: Normally.
Speaker 4: What are the.
Speaker 2: Adoption fees that will be waived this week?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What? What? How much money is someone saving if they adopt a dog by Saturday or Sunday as opposed to waiting until the fourth of July.
Speaker 5: Adoption fees range based on age across different organizations, but I would say on average, you're saving about four hundred dollars up an upfront adoption fee.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, that's a deal.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: That's a great deal. And you there were young dogs, old dogs, just about every possible combination, uh is there? And look, you probably know I end my shows with every night with this phrase, All dogs, all cats, all pets go to Heaven. And I truly do believe that because dogs particularly the best. They're just they're more loyal than any friend.
Speaker 5: They ie, they're the kindest beings.
Speaker 2: They are they are you know, they don't they never talk back you. Sometimes you get into an argument with one of your kids or with your spouse or something like that. Uh, and somebody's noses how to joint for the dog. Dogs just want to be with this one to hang. That's all. They're the perfect companion, I'm telling you. And also you know this, You know what the word dog spelled backwards? Is?
Speaker 5: They sure do?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 5: God?
Speaker 2: Yes. So that's that's why I think are wonderful. And thanks so much again. Give us the website because hopefully we've got some people who are going to go to the website right now and look around.
Speaker 5: What is the website to start with, It's www dot MSPCA dot org slash dogs and again it's fee waves for any dog over the age of one year at not only all four of our adoption centers, but many of our partners across the entire states. No matter where you live, there is a shelter near you that is waving fees.
Speaker 2: Perfect and just a little tip that old www stuff you don't really need it anymore. If you just put in MSPCA dot org org slash dogs, that'll get you there. Trust me on that. Okay, Thanks, Thanks Jamie, Thanks really appreciated. The project manager of the mspca's Angels Animal Protection Division. Thank you for the work you do. Thank you, I mean that, thanks for having me. Very welcome. Talk to you soon when we get back. We're going to talk kind of similar The JFK Presidential Library is about to open a new presidential exhibit talking about the various pets who have occupied the White House. Sometimes I've liked the pets better than the presidents. To be really honest with you, we'll be back on Nightside right after the news talking more about this time we're going to be talking about pets, just not dogs. We'll broaden the conversation right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, we have some good news for those of you who are interested in presidential politics. And also they're K nine and feline friends with us is Alan Price. He's the library director of the JFK Presidential Library. Alan Price, Welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir.
Speaker 4: I'm terrific. Thanks, it's good to be with you.
Speaker 2: I knew the Presidential Library and its contents before it became a presidential library. I used to spend some time with Dave Powers we at the Federal Records Center over on Tripella Road in Belmont. Oh.
Speaker 4: That's marvelous. Thank you for mentioning.
Speaker 2: That everything, all of the items that were held in Carrol's I don't know if you ever seen any of the pictures. I'm sure you're probably too young to remember that, but David photographs. There was a deer and a great friend, and I was in law school at the time, and I would go over there just to get a break from law school, and we'd walk through the library and we'd show me different artifacts up close and personal and everything from the coconut that President Kennedy used to signal for some help after his ship was torpedoed in World War Two, to so many other things, and of course they're all on display, but I never saw any sort of pets exhibit in the carols of the Federal Records Center out out in Belmont. But right now, I guess you folks are opening up a new exhibit dealing with not only pets that might have been in the White House during the thirty fifth president's term there sadly shortened mine assassin's bullet, but residents going back, animal residence going back quite a ways, and it starts on July first.
Speaker 4: Tell us about it, Allen, Well, I'm so glad you brought up that history. And yes, we have twenty million paper documents and thirty thousand artifacts, but we have a special exhibit now on presidential pets, and of course the Kennedy's had many pets, and so we spend some good time on that. But we also have a total of twenty two presidents represented all the way back to George Washington, and you can see the history of pet ownership and how they went from service animals and working animals to members of the family, how the notion of pet ownership changed over the years, and you can see how pets were very important keeping even President Kennedy during the height of the Cuban missile crisis keeping him calm. You know, pats are very important friends during difficult times, and the presidency can be a lonely job.
Speaker 2: Exhibit that if you want a friend in Washington, I think it might have been Truman that said that. I'm not sure, but if you want a friend, washing to get a.
Speaker 4: Dog, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Now. President Kennedy had a dog with which was a gift from Nikita Krushchev.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pushinka, Yes, Pushinka's parents went up in space. Pashenka is a puppy that came from that litter, and Chris Cheff presented it to the Kennedys and it was I mean, Pushenka is adorable and photogenic, and everybody wanted to spend time with Pashenka. And of course there were security concerns. People were worried that the dog would be electronically bugged or radioactive, and so there's a whole Cold War intrigue to the dog.
Speaker 2: At the same time, or reporting back to directly to Moscow every day by a teletype or something whatever. Only joking on that one, if I'm not mistaken. Caroline Kennedy had a horse called Macaroni.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are at least three ponies that I'm aware of the carolines was macaroni, and they were on the covers of magazines. And you can take a look at all the photos of macaroni and the actual saddle and bridle that were used on macaroni.
Speaker 2: Yeah, macaroni is not highlighted. I did pick up some information from your press release, but that one I pulled out of my compendium of useless information that I have stored in my brain. One of the pictures in the press release that caught my eye was a picture of First Lady Grace Coolidge and Rebella. Yes, Rebecca looked like a fairly exotic animal. What's the story with Rebecca a raccoon?
Speaker 4: And yes, Grace Coolidge had Rebecca the raccoon. You know a lot of photo ops, but you shouldn't startle the raccoon because the raccoon could bite people who startled the raccoons. Yes, and Grace would say, you know, wild animals don't startle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this was said according to your press release. Here, I always wanted to attribute to the Coolidge White House for the President's Thanksgiving dinner. Now, did someone send him a raccoon for the raccoon to be a guest at the dinner, or to be actually part of the dinner.
Speaker 4: Yet, I will say personally, I'm not so sure. But it's amazing the number of pets that were gifted to presidents over time, many of whom never kept the pet, but simply referred them to the zoo because they were too exotic.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the pets that most recent vintage was the German shepherd that bids some of the secret servicemen.
Speaker 4: In the Biden administration.
Speaker 2: Yeh, I think I think the Biden administration led all of the presidencies with animal bites.
Speaker 4: I mean it's possible, It's possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what when is that? This is going to start on July first? Correct if I'm not mistaken?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is this included with a normal visit? Is it part of the regular admission or is it a separate admission.
Speaker 4: It's part of the regular admission, and you can see, of course, the life and legacy of President Kennedy and then in a separate space. It's really wonderfully done. You wouldn't You couldn't possibly have more fun in a museum. You will learn all about the presidential pets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean only if you had a barrel full of monkeys, That's that's what you'd need to top it off. But I don't think there is a barrel full of monkeys involved here. Yeah, no, it's it's great to you know, talking about McCarney Caroline one of Caroline Kennedy's ponies. I see again in your press release. I did not know this that Teddy Roosevelt, great outdoorsman, had a pony named Algonquin. I didn't even realize they had an elevator in the White House when Roosevelt was president. But the pony got to ride the elevator.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it's true. Roosevelt had so many pets. It's really remarkable. He was a great, you know, outdoorsman and loved animals of all kinds. And he received many more pets as gifts than he could actually keep at the White House. So he was one who referred many to the local zoo. But his collection of pets is extraordinary, and I think he really meaningfully interacted with all of them.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm a big fan of the library. I actually did the live I was we broadcast the opening ceremonies, so the opening day back in October of nineteen seventy nine, a day that I will never never forget.
Speaker 4: Oh that's remarkable.
Speaker 2: You probably weren't even born then, but.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's probable that I may be the last library director who actually lived during President Kennedy's lifetime, though I was only six months old when he passed.
Speaker 2: Really okay, well you sound young, and that's good. That is good.
Speaker 4: That is also I'll try to keep that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm totally serious, you know, talking about Coolidge. Coolidge grave is in Vermont, down a little side road, and it's not all that impressive. But I just fascinated by Coolidge because obviously he he spent time here in Massachusetts as governor, but is interred in Vermont, Plymouth, Vermont, and I remember walking over by his grave one day, and as you can see, I'm kind of his street geek, and it was very unimpressive, and I just thought he was just on the side of a road in a little little town cemetery in Plymouth, Plymouth, Notch, New Hampshire, and kind of spoke a little bit about his presidency. I mean, it was fairly simple. It was a simpler time in America, you know, coming up there. Yeah, one hundred years, one hundred years from now. We probably he would have been president at this point one hundred years ago, now that I think about it.
Speaker 4: Right right, right, yeah, And the Presidential Library System doesn't come up until FDR creates it and he backdates it to Hoover. But it's much harder to access the history of prior presidents.
Speaker 2: Alan, I really enjoyed chatting with you. Sound like a great library director. And as they say, I spent many many days with my friend Dave Powers, and he was he was just a compendium of valuable information. I'm a compendium of useless information. But it was quite bad. Quite a guy. And sometime I get the library, I want to look you up. Okay, thanks, Alan, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Well, let me know when you're here. I'll show you a few things.
Speaker 2: I promise I will. Thanks Alan, we'll talk again, Alan Price, you take care the library Director of the JFK Presidential Library. Thanks again. When we get back, we're going to talk about the Northeast ARC and they're offering free swimming lessons to children six months in older. And this is a program called through the Saving Lives Swim Program. We're going to talk with Joeanne Simon's president and CEO of Northeast ARC Organization. I'm very familiar with They do great work. And we'll be talking with joe Inn right after the break here on Night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dany Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right. I think all of us are familiar with the various arcs around the Commonwealth. Joanne Simmons is very familiar with the arcs because Joeanne is the president and CEO of the Northeast ARC and they have a swimming program up there which is available for kids as young as six months old. Joanne, welcome to Night sid How are you hey?
Speaker 6: Good, good evenings then, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. So tell us about the swimming, the swimming program. I was unaware that you were doing this.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm going to tell you how it came out. Is that you may not be aware that drowning is the leading cause of death for children with autism, and just last summer in this country, over twenty six children with autism drowned, and most under the age of There.
Speaker 2: Was a story. It was a story in one of the local newscasts tonight about a little boy eight years old who I believe is dealing with Did you see that story.
Speaker 6: Tragedy in Clinton? Little boy eight years old with autism who is nonverbal wandered, which is very common with children with actism. Of them wander they have anxiety and to deal with their anxiety, wandering often a release to them and they're attracted to water. And unfortunately, the tragedy that unfolded in in Clinton was not the first one of this kind, and it made us realize that there was something that we could do as a leading provider of services to people with disabilities and autism. We've developed a program that will pay for swimming lessons for any child birth to three that are in our early intervention programs, which we operate in many cities, in towns in the North Shore and cay Van. And we're doing this because we think the most important thing you could do is save a life and financial means should not be a barrier for a child to learn to swim.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question, if I could, is this available for children who have been dying gnosed with autism or for any child between those.
Speaker 6: Ages, Well, any child who's in an early intervention program they may have autism. Then they have down to them, then they have a speech delay they may have.
Speaker 2: When you said early intervention, I wasn't sure. And of course we know that that with children. Sometimes children are not diagnosed with autism until they're one and a half.
Speaker 1: Two years old exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's something that people should be thinking about, and it's what do you what do you do if you have a child that has autism and is a little or or again some sort of a developmental issue, who's older than three? Why is it cut off at three?
Speaker 6: Well early, you know, we have to start somewhere, and this is the first year that we're doing it, so we're rolling it out to see. Obviously, we are very fortunate because he was all of the ahilanthropist and Marvel head who established the Changing Lives fund that these dark a few years ago, has graciously stepped forward to fund the Saving Lives program here and so we're going to start with the children that we serve because we see them for us to three and we're partnering, which what makes us unique is we're not going to actually provide the swimming lessons. We're partnering with the Yomsta, the North Shore, the Metro North YMCA and the North Shore Jewish Community Center, which all have swim lessons for children of this age in a variety of locations. So we want families to be able to go where they would be normally seeking out swim lessons, maybe for their family as well. And you know, we hope that we could you know, you know, expand this. So we're starting with something that we we Obviously, the other challenge is that the YMCAs are also inundated with just requests for swimming lessons, and so we don't want to create a demand that you know, our YMCA partners you know, can't neither.
Speaker 2: Well, okay. So so for the parents of children who have whether autism or other you know, I think you're referred to them as developmental issues, is what's the property, yeah, or just if.
Speaker 6: They're you know, reached out to the Northeast Dark and if they're interested in our early Intervention program, which is a free program that you can self proport to, we can do an evaluation, get them signed up for all sorts of services. And in addition, this is an added benefit.
Speaker 2: Again just focusing on this, the child has to be between the age of six months in three three and the autism obviously is one one diagnosis that you would deal with. What is the some of the other diagnoses or the umbrella term for all of these diagnoses, it's just.
Speaker 3: Just to development.
Speaker 6: No, not just because of the ratism. It can be any kind of delay. It could be a speech delay, it can be a motor issue, it might be could be terrible positive and.
Speaker 2: So they would be joy And I just want to make sure I understand that I'm sorry, and I know I'm I'm interrupting you there, and I apologize, but I want all parents to understand if the umbrella issue would probably be any form of a developmental issue, they should contact you, folks if they're interested in getting swimming lessons for their son or daughter between the age of six months and three years.
Speaker 6: Correct, and yes, and if they're living in the north Shore in the Cape Ann area, those are that's the catchment areas where we currently provide early intervention services. And this is open to anybody in our who received those services.
Speaker 2: Okay, but again I assume that someone when you say Cape Ian area without listing every city in town, I assume someone who is up in that general north Shore Cape Ann area. Uh, if they can get you know, they have to transport their child to the swim lessons and all of that.
Speaker 6: Again, well they do, but early intervention actually provides services in the home environment as well. So the first step would be getting in touch with the Northeast Dock Early Intervention Program.
Speaker 2: Okay, how did they do that?
Speaker 6: They can south before they can just www dot any hyphen a arc dot org.
Speaker 2: And again we're talking over each other. It's just any hyphen uh aar c aar c dot org. That w w W is No one has to use that anymore, so no one, you know, so, I mean it's like he confuses people sometimes, So give it to me without w W one more time.
Speaker 6: Any hyphen a arc dot org or just google Northeast arc Early Intervention.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Okay, Hopefully some folks have been able to write down what they have to write down and just get in touch with the Northeast r Thanks very much, Johayne. I appreciate it. Thanks for the work you do.
Speaker 6: Thank you Jed for having us Okay, supporting us.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know you can always count on me. Thank you so much. Nine o'clock News is coming when we get back. We're going to talk about that mayoral primary election in New York City a couple of nights ago and a stunning upset. We're going to be talking with Boston Globe opinion writer Karine Hajar, who wrote a very interesting piece in the Boston Globe today on a shift within the Democratic Party that some Democrats are now beginning to become concerned about back on nights out after this