Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty Again.
Speaker 2: Let me send out some congratulations to Mark Ronner for doing a wonderful job sitting in for me and Tiffany Hobbs as well sitting in for me on.
Speaker 3: Friday and Monday. We were out.
Speaker 2: When I say we, Twallett and I, my family, and Twilette also brought along his son. We were on Royal Caribbean Cruise to Ensenada, Mexico's a short three day cruise, but it was the first one that Twalla Sharp had ever been on in his life. For me, it was my sixth cruise overall, and over the years you've probably heard me. I've talked about it with Tim Conway Junior, and talked about it with other people in Just in the Office Deborah Mark of John COBALT's show. She is a big cruiser and oftentimes we get the question like why do you like to This doesn't seem fun? What's the big deal? Well, I'm going to step back now, and Twilla Sharp is someone who was all the way against cruises the idea, went on his first cruise, and I'm gonna let him give his unfiltered remarks take it Away.
Speaker 4: Twelve after you sharing stories of your five now six cruises, I had always thought you were absolutely insane. The idea of being out on that which I fear the most, deep, dark water, the very idea of going out on a cruise was petrifying. But then when you extended an invitation for me and my son to join you, I talked to my son about and I said, hey, not only has Moe invited us to join his family on his cruise, but his boys really want you to come. And my son was through the roof. He was like, we gotta go, We got to go. And seeing the look on his face, I was like, I cannot deny this father and son bonding moment. I wasn't even sure we were still going to go until I purchased the tickets.
Speaker 3: I sent you that message I said, we're in.
Speaker 4: Fast forward to the night before we got off the air that Thursday, and I was so nervous about going. I didn't sleep. Really, I did not sleep. I didn't. I got off the air here, I went to go pick him up, and I did not go to sleep. I went got to the house. I'm staring in my closet, going over what to bring, what not to bring. I swear when I talked to you and Lamu here in the morning about just just pack what you're going to pack, don't sweat it.
Speaker 3: Bring what you feel you need to bring.
Speaker 4: Up until that point, I was uptight about even packing I did. I couldn't even relax about packing. Put everything in the car. We're driving to the to the pier in San Pedro, and I've got butterflies. It was almost like I was going up on the roller coaster. Even made the mistake of going over that damn bridge, which is terrifying, the wrong way Thomas Bridge. It made the wrong turn, went over the bridge, came back whatever. Up until walking on the gang plank to get on that boat, I swear my knees were almost shaking. And then we got on the boat and it was beautiful. The Royal Caribbean International Navigator of the Seas is a beautiful ship. And I'm standing there with my bags and I'm like, okay, you know what, we have to get to the room. We go into the room and I'm like, this room is beautiful.
Speaker 3: What is this? The lot of times when it was happening right now, this is beautiful. Your stateroom. Did you have a was it an interior cabin? Did you have a balcony?
Speaker 4: We had window, porthole window and huge, I mean like this window was hugh mongous and with just the site out over the water. Even still, we're at the dock and I'm like, I'm so nervous. Whatever, we put our bags away, contact you we come out. You're like, hey, I'll meet you over at the room. Had a nice little welcome pack to get on the cruise. And even still, the whole time, I'm like, okay, who let me go get some coffee. Let me do something to relax, because it's like we had all plans to go up and attend the kickoff party. And as soon as we were all set, my son was like, okay, we're good, We're straight okay, and you and Lamuhir said, the boys are waiting for you.
Speaker 3: This the room they're at. He was gone.
Speaker 4: He was like, okay, gool peot. My son was gone. He went to go look for your boys. And that's the last time I saw him that day. I think I went back to the room to take a nap, and I did, and by the time I woke up. It was around five thirty, went to sleep, maybe around one something, woke up five thirty, missed the kickoff, and I woke up and the first message I saw was from you, and you said you are out to see now yep. And I opened up the window and we were out in the middle of nowhere. Like I'll open up the blinds and looked out the window and we were out in the middle of nowhere. And I said, oh my god, I'm out to see. I left the room and I started walking around, just kind of exploring. And this ship is so damn big. I wanted to do everything. I wanted to see everything. I wanted to touch everything, just walking around, and I was hesitant to even get on the elevator. And even though this ship is like twelve thirteen stories high, you know I'm saying. I took the stairs all the way up to the top and tried to look at what's happening. Called flor Oh decks, okay, the decks, Yeah, to see look. I got to give my sea legs. You know, I'm not six cruises in, so my first the decks and got to the top. I went to find something to eat, and I think that's the first time I saw you when like after waking up, and we went over to that nacho bar where it's just I'm like, so you just go and get food and like, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: For people don't know when you get on the ship.
Speaker 2: Just about any food you see when I say it's free, it's included as much as you want, wherever you want, whenever you want.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: And I went and I made myself a gigantic player notchos and I'm kind of like holding the plate like okay, are they gonna charge me this? And You're like, all right, go sing out And I'm like, what is happening right now? And I just say And there are people already in the pool, there are people watching movies, the Steel band is playing, and I am at home and I started when I finally went to dinner, I started getting a little bit seasick. And it's a weird sensation where all of a sudden, I felt like my head was swimming the florest movement for everything, and I'm like, okay, I'm about I had to hold on to the table and fortunately I had in my pocket some driving being that I got from Lindsay producer.
Speaker 3: Lindsay had hooked it up.
Speaker 4: Yes, without that, I probably would have been hurling to pop a couple of those. Within an hour, I was fine. And I'm telling you, looking out over the water at night the most comforting thought. And this is weird, but this is what gave me comfort, actually is looking out and I kind of walked towards the edge and look down. And when you look down over that edge, so this waist high railing, it's straight down. You go over that edge, you're in that water. And I'm telling you this, you're gone if you if you fall off the edge of that boat and into that ocean, it is an icy death. There's no finding you, there's no swimming keeping a float. So someone comes you're dead. And something about the thought of going into that and that just being the end. I said to myself, well, now I know how I would die. I'm actually more comfortable now.
Speaker 3: And that's a great way to start off your vacation.
Speaker 4: No, no, And but after that, I sat in one of those deck chairs and just listened to the ocean just crashing along the boat and just theh of the boat, and I fell asleep and I was like, this is pure bliss.
Speaker 2: Okay, So first day was pure bliss. Second day is the day at sea, so you have run of the ship. You get a chance to really experiencing sea things, enjoy things.
Speaker 3: What stood out to you.
Speaker 4: The first thing that stood out to me is how much there was to do. And it's interesting because after hearing about all the cruise ships you've been on and all the things you've always told me about being on boats and how you don't feel it and just it's just it's a moving city and things like that. It's not enough to hear about it. You have to experience it and after it kind of like waking up and walking around. It's literally Las Vegas, just at sea. I stopped by the casino. I went by and saw a little bit of one of the shows. There is an actual shopping mall in the boat. There's a sports bar. I saw women getting their hair done at the dry bar.
Speaker 3: I mean it.
Speaker 4: The first day is almost overwhelming to the census, because there's too much to see. I tried my best to pace myself, and after all, my legs got really really tired from running up and down the decks. And then ifroinally said, you know what, night, I'm tired. I gotta go to lay down again. My son still wasn't back on the where he was. He was out with your boys doing Lord knows what.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I went and I laid down. I went to sleep, and I think when I woke up the next morning, you know, I saw him in the room and he was knocked out with his clothes and I'm like, oh, you got a night.
Speaker 2: Let's postive when we come back. I want you to tell us more about your first experience, the things that surprised you.
Speaker 3: For me, it's old hat. For you, it was all new.
Speaker 2: So I'm still curious because I've only heard bits and pieces of this of your first cruise thanks to Royal Caribbean on Navigator of the Seas. This is the Later with Mo Kelly KFI AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Because we continue to hear from Tawalla Sharp, producer of the show, and his first experience with cruising. Last second, we heard about day one. Now day two is the is the day at sea? What is happening for you at that point? Day two I.
Speaker 4: Felt I really got my sea legs, and it was time for me to slow down and really really explore this sh and I really did sit and take in some shows. I took in a little bit of the Broadway show that they had show Girls a dance experience or history of Showgirls on browing. You know, Okay, this is interesting to watch. It was just fun to watch these shows. I went to go and watch karaoke. I watched a little bit of the Bingo because it was just so interesting to see what people do at these shows. I caught the comedy show, which I thought was hilarious. I was like, this is a really good show. I went and just kind of just also walked around and tried food. I mean, it is so addicting to just eat, to just stop at a place and just grab something. Foods everywhere everywhere, just drink stations, food stations.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: You can easily easily lose control of your waistline on a cruise, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Because the food is delicious.
Speaker 4: I went and I sat on the second day, when I got it in my head that you don't have to rush through anything to eat here, I went and I sat down and admittedly, okay, as bad as this may sound. I went upstairs to the wind Jammer and I wasted food.
Speaker 2: Wind Jammer is a place where if you're not going to formal dining you can go. It's a it's a buffet which is open most of the day. But they have a lot of different cuisines on any given day, and.
Speaker 4: There's restaurants for altar. There is a steak, meat and potatoes restaurants, there's a seafood restaurant. There's I think a restaurant that served all like a Latin cuisine. I'm like, how many different restaurants can you have on one boat. It was ridiculous, a French cafe, all types of things happening. But the wind Jammer is where I wanted to go and just try different things. And I just sat down with plates in front of me and just let me nibble on this. This looks really good. I'm gonna taste this too.
Speaker 2: You can take as much as you want. You can take as much as you want back with you to your stateroom. Yes, you can for later snacks or whatever.
Speaker 4: I saw people carrying it, just plates upon plates, stacked upon each other, back to their rooms. But I think Day two was a day where I really took my time to really explore the ship, and as much time as I explored and walked around and kind of just looked at what was happening in different rooms. There was a jazz performance happening, and there's there's jazz bands and just live bands playing at different sections all over the ship and none of this, and it's like you can be on one end ship there's a live band playing and just like you know, I don't know, block away on the ship there's a piano bar and none of the sounds are bleeding into each other. The ship is so well crafted. On every floor there is a level of entertainment and I didn't even see it. I never saw the ice skating rink. I didn't see the ice skating that or the miniature golfing. I didn't see the miniature golfing. I did go upstairs and I caught our boys playing dodgeball, which is interesting. There's a rock wall of three on read basketball court which doubles as the dodgeball court, the water slide, which is incredible. There is actually a children's play area with an arcade and even a daycare if you have younger kids. And I just went around just to look at this, like, oh, and the Spa, I just say, can I come in? I just want to see what it kind of looks like in there. The Spa is literally like a four star Spa, five star the Spa. I said myself, next time, and there will be a next time.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: You gotta go once to know what you want to do. You can do everything, you can do nothing, but you have to have a reference point.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, because now I know the things that like, I may not need the Wi Fi package next time I go on a cruise because there's no need for you to be on your device. There's too much happening on the cruise. I think I was documenting more than probably. Looking back, I'm like, next time, I'm putting my phone, just leave it in the room and enjoying the cruise. So much to do, and you know what's really trists me out. I never saw the front of the boat. Like my son was telling me all these places you made. He was like like no, and he says that you never made it to the bow, You never made it to the nightclub. Did you ever go to the thirteenth floor. I'm like, no, no, no, I didn't see these things because I was so stuck in the middle and aft of the boat.
Speaker 3: There's too much to do. Well.
Speaker 2: I was lucky enough to be able to sit down and at least watch the USC football game that they actually won in the sports bar, because you know, that was something I was making sure that they were going to be showing that game. Those are the things that I wanted to do. I don't need to go to the Spa. There are a lot of things there I don't need to do. I don't need to do minister golf whatever. And I don't go to the nightclub anymore because it's for the younger folks, for the rest bar, right. But the other stuff that I want to do, I enjoy doing. Let's do this one more segment twelve, because I want to get your final thoughts on the totality of the experience and what you would do it again. Would you do the whole thing again? Would you recommend it to someone else?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Mo Kelly Live Everywhere, the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: As we talk more about Tuala Sharp's first experience with a cruise. He and I were on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas for a three day cruise over the Labor Day weekend, and I just wanted to get out of the way to get Tuala's sense of the experience. He was a hater going in. We somehow convinced him to get on, and now we get to find out who he is on the other side. Is this something you would do again? What's the totality of your experience, Twalla? I have to admit I'm hooked. I am hooked. I cannot wait to go on another cruise. This was the most amazing experience. I absolutely see why you and your family go on cruises every year. This is something that I think as a must for everyone to do. If you have any fears about being on the ocean, fears of being on boats, any of that. Take it from someone who was you just you know a week ago, all right, This past weekend forever changed me. There is nothing more tranquil and relaxing and just beautiful than being out on the open seas. I love it, And now I can see why you would go on different cruises, because now I'm like, this is a perfect starter cruise. Now I'm like, I think I need long I think I need seven days. I want to be able to go on a cruise and stop at different ports. Because on this trip, I didn't get off the boat because you know, I've been to various places in Mexico and I'm like, I didn't feel the need to get off the boat and just kind of go shopping or whatever. In Insanita, I was like, Okay, I didn't need to do that. I was already tired from walking around as it was, so it was just like, that's not something I want to do.
Speaker 4: I wanted to experience being on the boat. But now I'm like, Alaska's calling, you know, the Mediterranean Cruise is calling, you know, a crew to the Bahamas or Jamaica or someone like that. I need to go Hawaii. All of these places are calling me because I can. And here's the thing. I don't like flying. I'm not big on flying, and it to me, it's the whole experience going to the airport, the hustle and bustle of getting through you know, TSA and just flying period.
Speaker 3: I'm not with it.
Speaker 4: Too many wax stories about people going crazy on the flight. I'm like, you I body slam someone on a flight. I'm not going through all that, but to go all of these places being on a cruise and be able to sample different cities or different countries at different stops, Oh, I cannot wait. I am looking forward, seriously looking forward to my next cruise.
Speaker 3: Mark, you're next. We're gonna get you on a ship. It's never gonna happen.
Speaker 5: But I gotta tell you that the sheer excess that you're describing as a little fascinating to me, because boy, does that sound about as American as anything I've ever heard. Oh, where you're at you say there's a hockey rink or an ice skating.
Speaker 2: Rink, ice skating rink, Yes, and then it doubles as a theater later in the evening.
Speaker 5: Wow, And you're actually telling me, Tuala that the stand up comedian even on the cruise was quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I laughed throughout the show. And it could just be just the euphoria of being on the boat. Maybe they were pumping, you know, some type of nitrous oxide into the air, but I was laughing the whole time.
Speaker 5: Now, there's some details that you haven't really gotten to yet, and I need to know if you had any hookups while you were out at sea.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no no. And here's the thing. I can see how people hook up it. See, I definitely can see it because it's very hook upable. Okay, there's a lot of action, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of space and opportunities.
Speaker 4: A lot of space, a lot of opportunities, a lot of folks hanging at the bar looking to be chose what stopped you? Because I wasn't there for that, and I'm that's not where I'm at mentally. I'm not in, you know, super hook a mode. I'm more on a browsy kind of thing. So I wasn't feeling the need to like make something happen on the cruise.
Speaker 3: And even though.
Speaker 4: I was how do I say this, my son was no tell us a lot of he had a lot of options.
Speaker 3: I'm telling the first off, I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: When we got on the boat, we're walking around and I was just kind of videotaping and an older lady walked up to my son and kind of put her arm around him, was like, take a picture of us. And I'm like okay, and I just turned my phone to him and she was like, now you've had a sixty year old woman hit on you. Oh my god, you are gorgeous. Find me later if you if you want to. Wasn't talking about Tuala, No, no, no, no, talking about my son, blew a kiss to him and everything, and he was kind of like, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: So people really drop their inhibitions on these things, or that was a pro one of the other.
Speaker 3: Dude, Oh it was.
Speaker 4: Look, I don't know what had him out at four o'clock in the morning every night, but I'm telling you it was not for lack of women chasing after. Even just after he did the karaoke, he became like a little celebrity.
Speaker 3: Now you know why I've sent used to send karaoke.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, the karaoke that doesn't you want? You want an icebreaker? I literally heard some young lady walk up to and say, oh my god, you were so brave. I just I love and your voice because my son. He CONTs up there and he's like, love, what does it do for you?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 5: Else?
Speaker 3: Like this very white Wow, Can I go next time? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I can only tell you Twola, can only tell you so much. You have to experience it for yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hearing about it. It doesn't do anything for your imagination and affordable given what all you get. Oh seriously, the cost of this cruise. The last for my daughter's last birthday, we went to Disneyland and it was I paid for me and the kids, just food, all this kind of stuff all day long. And that was about five thirty literally just a trip to Disneyland. And this was for the day, mind you, This was for the day, okay, going on this cruise for me or so I think it was about because I got different packages and I say, maybe roughly six point fifty for both of us. Not whatever you want to eat all day, entertainment all day, everything, complimentary compliments of the boat unless you want to like up until like for one of those four course meals.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: You cannot get the same bang for your dollar doing anything else for three days. You really really can't. If you go to Vegas, you get the room. You don't get the entertainment and the food and everything else combined. No, this is all of that in one stop.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: I remember when we were texting over the weekend and I said something along the lines of you two better be drunk now or we can't be friends.
Speaker 3: Anymore.
Speaker 5: And you texted me back to Walla that you weren't drinking because you don't drink. And I remember those old TV commercials where there's the Native American crying on the side of the road.
Speaker 3: Just one tier. Yeah, I just thought, what what the waste? I can't tolerate this.
Speaker 4: Look, I don't drink, but I know for a fact Moe drink enough for me. So I'm good. All right, I'm good. And if you do choose to drink on a cruise, trust and belief. You can drink all day, all night. And here's the thing, it's it's what you make it. You don't have to drink.
Speaker 2: There's always something to occupy your time which has nothing to do with alcohol, absolutely nothing to do with alcohol.
Speaker 3: Yes you can.
Speaker 2: You can entertain yourself just by people watching the stupidity going on.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, the people watching look this, the movie watching sitting up on the top deck at night, and I caught myself watching believe it or not, Believe it or not. I was up at the top deck because I got a late night meal, and I found myself outside watching Aquaman two on the big on the big screen at the top because I said to myself. This is hilarious. They're showing Aquaman two. I hated this movie, but I've got a plate full of food and i don't feel like going back to my room. I'm gonna sit up in this deck chair and I'm gonna watch this movie just dining on my food.
Speaker 5: I think you found the only possible circumstance in which that movie was enjoyable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it was like, really, I don't even think that I was paying attention to the sound.
Speaker 3: It was just on. It was just on.
Speaker 4: It was just the ambiance of being out on the deck watching a movie under the stars, and it wasn't cold.
Speaker 3: It was just like, this is just beautiful.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I see. I would want him to show Jaws or the meg or things like that. Make it a thing. No, they wouldn't do that. They wouldn't do it. That's I'm sold on that. That's man. That's cool.
Speaker 2: All you can eat, all you can drink, sit down to the stars watching movie.
Speaker 3: Look, Mark, we're gonna get you on a ship one day.
Speaker 5: Well it's never gonna happen, But I appreciate that. You don't know what you're missing. Man. Oh, it sounds like I know exactly what I'm missing. But you're a former lifeguard, what is there for you to fear? It was at city pools. There wasn't that far. I mean, somebody could come in and get me if I got in trouble.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I only had to go in after a kid once, and I was angry because I had to get my hair wet.
Speaker 3: Okay, So being out in the deep sea.
Speaker 5: You guys ever read Moby Dick, And yes, there's the portion where the kid falls overboard and he's out at sea for a while and when they finally found him again, he's gone insane. We don't worry you, right, you die long before you Well, well there's the silver lining. Thank you for that end up like jack No, no, no, no no no, you die instantly, you go overside of that boat and you're dead. Oh well that's comforting. I maybe change my mind then, Okay, think on it. Okay, sleep on it. Maybe you'll change your mind.
Speaker 6: And no, we gotta know k if I am six forty were live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. So twala recommendation, go on a cruise if it's the last thing you do.
Speaker 4: I can actually see why people older people actually live on cruise ships now because as far I was like, are you insane? Now I'm like, hmm, this might be a lifestyle. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: I've heard any of our secret mind control hidden messages recently?
Speaker 3: No, that's because we're really.
Speaker 1: Good at it.
Speaker 2: KF I'm KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Live everywhere on the Heart Radio