Speaker 1: Hello, Primates.
Speaker 2: You found Primus Tracks. Congratulations. There are so many places to find Primus Tracks. The podcast is probably the best. I am doctor Josh bald I am one of the hosts of Primus Tracks. He is coming to you from the thirty ninth floor Primus Tracks Towers Encyclopedia. Frankie Beristein, He's going fine. It's just it's going fine. While I have great news for you. Frankie, your day is about to improve dramatically because we are talking about mister Wright from the Monolithophobos record as we continue our deep dive into the first CLD effort and we have help. He's fresh off the road from a brief tour of North America. He is a base wizard that we call upon numerous times for his insights. The Funky Diva himself, Ko Gonzalez, welcome back to Primus Tracks.
Speaker 3: I'll add to that I was fresh before going on.
Speaker 2: Oh tour did not freshen you up. You were pure driven snow before and after. That is wonderful.
Speaker 3: But thank you for the for the Funky Diva, the.
Speaker 2: Title is yours just this, so tell us about the tour you were just a part of.
Speaker 3: It was a very great weather infused journey through the US. So went through I guess all seasons in these three weeks. Uh, some snow, some snow in uh in New York, rain in Dallas, some humid, windy climates in Orlando. I was also in the mid of a cartel uprising.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I was worried about you when I heard about that.
Speaker 3: So it was lots of things happened. Everyone's safe, but it was a great overall tour. Is the composer for the music Silent Hill, right, and I was fortunate enough to be invited to be a bass player doing this tour and fingers crossed Huron right. Yeah, So we have we have talks of more dates coming in. We'll do some Mexico City later in the year. We'll do some other US Europe Asia dates later. So it'll be nice. It'll be a nice trip, a nice journey through his music, and uh, we'll see what comes next. But it was great in regards to wed all sold out dates.
Speaker 1: Kay, I am, I am flabbergasted. So you you're you're heavily on the road. You also record uh solo albums, You also record with Parasit. You perform a ton of shows, So when do you even engineer.
Speaker 3: In between wow, in between all that. So it's yeah, it's it's a it's a juggling as as I call, it's a juggling effort between family, work, music.
Speaker 1: And all the the care that goes towards your facial hair as well.
Speaker 4: That takes care of itself. Actually it takes care of me. I mean, and I see Josh is.
Speaker 3: On his way working on it.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I saw Chaos interview. One quote that stood out for me particularly is that Chaos said if there were a top one hundred bass players list from Mexico, he wouldn't even be there. And I was like, get the hell out.
Speaker 3: Of here, Like, technically speaking, I'm not the best bass player. That's the thing, technically speaking, Because I think we talked about this, but when I when I was in the San Diego Primus Masterdon tour, I did the VIP thing, right, So, and we're talking and someone asked them and in between everything that Lass said, one of the things that I noticed from his comments is he didn't see himself as a very good bass player, right, And I think I relate to that because I'm also a self learned bass player. Yes, and we learned from our heroes listening emulating playing organically. So that's how I feel like about my playing. I love what I do. I like that I can basically make those sounds inside my head a reality. But it's not as I'm not your what would you would? You would say, a common, basic, normal bass player.
Speaker 1: You know, I could equate that to an artist or an illustrator who is very technically proficient, but they're only good at doing what people ask them to do or copying something, whereas some illustrators might not have the most refined or the best technique ever, but their imagination is mind blowing like less. Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now now I appreciate your comment, Frankie, and I thank you for that. In the end, it's about doing what we love, how we love doing it right. So here we are, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Let's amend the list. Then let's put you at number one oh one. Okay, easy, there you go.
Speaker 3: You made it here on the list.
Speaker 2: You're one of one, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great to have you back talking mister Wright today. This is track four of the Mono Phobos record. It's four minutes twenty one seconds music by Claypool Lennon. Of course, lyrics by Claypool. Less is on vocals, bass and melotron. Sean Lennon is on vocals, guitar and drums and Frankie. I have a feeling you know all about this tune.
Speaker 1: Mister Wright is a Lenom Delirium staple. It's always performed live at their shows and you can tell it's one of their favorites. They really enjoy playing it, mostly because, whereas other tracks they tend to stay within the norm of the record. With mister Writer, there's always that little space for jamming and improvisation, which you can tell Les really enjoys. I get some Mister Wright trivia here courtesy of a friend of the podcast, Matt Weinegar, who was there for the creation of monolitha Phobos. Matt confirmed the song was called Creeping in the early stages when it was being demoed. He said that Les pretty much arrived with the song finished and it was just a matter of recording it. Now, this makes perfect sense to me because it harks directly back to that comment Let's made recently about how Sean tends to make these beautiful songs, and then let's brings the words into the records. You can totally tell this is a Lescliple song.
Speaker 3: Agree, well, this could have this could have been in any of his solo records.
Speaker 1: Exactly Yes. I asked Matt what his reaction was to the lyrics, and he said he was cracking up. He said, as disturbing as the subject matter is, hearing less sing the word p is hilarious. Here's something that I didn't know, and it was highlighted by Matt. They were having conversations about Chuck Berry being posted for setting off cameras and that seems to be some of the inspiration for this song. Now, Jock Berry was accused of secretly videotaping women with cameras installed in the restrooms of his restaurant, The Southern Air in Missouri in the late nineteen eighties. Lawsuits and settlements from nineteen ninety said that over two hundred women filed actions against him allegend they were filmed using the restroom. While the charges were never proven in court, Chuck settled a class action lawsuit with fifty nine different women for one point two million dollars plus legal fees.
Speaker 2: Wow, so that's possibly the impetus for that's.
Speaker 1: Possibly the real life mister right. Yes, Matt said that showplay drums along with Les playing bass live in the studio. That's how this song was recorded. Then vocals and guitars were overdubbed. He didn't remember if the song had metotron or not, which it does now. Musically, I think one of the reasons this song stands out well. Of course the baseline, that galloping, amazing bassline, which is center and front stage on the song. But some people have highlighted that it's also very melodic and very very musical for less standards, and some people even compare it to tax Men by the Beatles. Another small piece of trivia for you, Josh and Ko, if you, if you would please open your monolitha Phobos gatefold, you can see mister Wright right there in the collash.
Speaker 2: Here's my monolitha Phobos gatefold.
Speaker 1: Let's see if you can spot mister Wright. Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it this unsavory character right here?
Speaker 1: That right there is mister right yeah, top middle on your gatefold on the image page.
Speaker 2: Very nice. You sure it's not the guy in the glasses holding that piece that makes it's really confused, but.
Speaker 3: Not fair enough, you know, it could be that the melodic element is brought in by the pairing Less with Sean, you know, because if you strip it away again going back to it, it is a clipbal song, right. I mean, it's not like he's singing more or less yeah than any other Less clippal song. It's more the how the Lennon Clappole pairing adds melody to to Less weird the music, you.
Speaker 1: Know, That's exactly their dynamic. Less pushes Sean to be more technically proficient, whereas Sean pushes Less to be more musical and more melodic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we get a lot of elements in that and of that in this tune, certainly. And it's only the fourth track, like we've really seen.
Speaker 3: It, and this this first album is very psychedelic. Yeah. Yeah, but this song is the more reminiscent of.
Speaker 2: Less work certainly. Yeah, Frankie, when you said the it was essentially brought fully formed by Less, like that didn't surprise me one bit, No, because this is one of those tunes where Less likes to tell the story of Sean joining them on stage for the first few times on that tour in twenty fifteen, and Sean saying what do I do And let's say, let's make whale sounds. There's some whale sounds on this one, this one feeling more fully formed by you know, Claypole bringing to the table. It's one of those where all right, I'm going to fill in around the edges. And I think that's what Sean decided to do with this one.
Speaker 3: I mean from experience, I can tell you it's not the same to compliment already complete song than to add to it. So I can see where songs as Sean probably brought brought in less had to exercise a different way of working with someone because he's very much used to bring it in everything right, right, I mean, Prime is his his own stuff any other project, I mean he's basically he does most of the compositional work right, So here there will be instances when he'll need to add base, add vocals, harmonies to something that's already done, which is for him different than what he's used to doing.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to ask you, Ko, I would imagine for him it's somewhat refreshing, and so for you because you are there the heart and soul of so many bands. When when when your band members or bandmates are bringing bringing stuff in, or you're working with somebody new and finding new pathways. How's that for you?
Speaker 3: It exercises a different creative area from your brain. I can see from less perspective. It basically takes him out of his comfort zone and it'll exercise a different creative development, which I think I'll appreciate. I use that as a resource to not repeat myself, right, because otherwise I'll enter into like a auto pilot. Yeah, we're working creatively. But if you work different areas of how you can compose or or trigger creativity, then it may catch you off guard.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. I love that way of saying it. You catch yourself off guard because you're doing something you wouldn't normally do.
Speaker 3: And you react, you react to it differently. Now, this is another Claypal quote from from this v P San Diego Get Together. But someone asked me, how how do you how do you do it to sound different primus than you do with lenin than you do with everything you do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And what he said, you don't talk the same way to your mom than you do to your boss, and you do to your girlfriend or your dog. I mean, yeah, depending on who you're talking to dot. Conversation's different, the way you talk, with the inflection in your voice, the I mean, everything changes. So when I play with Lair is different than when I played with Sean, than what I played with each and every member from the different bands, because it's a conversation, so the conversation goes differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm Frankie's boss, so you can imagine how I talk to him. Well, you do have that beautiful bass there and this this track is uh, you know, the foundation of this track is that really cool lick that that starts things off. I'll play it from the record and then I would love to hear your rendition of it, Ko and what you're hearing in there besides tax Man of course, because everybody hears that. That's a nice opening right there.
Speaker 3: From from a bass perspective, it's classic Claypoo song where you have the same lick over Robert the whole song, but he adds small things to spice it up. And let's the vocals on the on the melody that he goes through with with the lyrics guide the song, right. But if you listen to it, it's basically the same lick over and over again, even through verses and choruses.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a very complex bassline.
Speaker 3: Is it the tricky part on the bassline or the song? It's it's the the metric element on it, because if you see his his he starts off and then everything enters, So it's it's kind of it's kind of crooked, right, it's crooked and and and the bass like kind of it's kind of swerving through through the four four uh time signature in the song, So it makes it it's it's one of those psychedelic pragy elements that that are infused in the song. But it's really a four by four song. Just the way it is approached to make it makes it sound like it's more complex than it actually is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do some sneaking to make it sound and feel off kilter, like coming in on the and as opposed to the.
Speaker 3: One correct correct, but only he does it. Yeah, right, So that that's what kind of gets you kind of a little bit what happened there or or makes you think that it is from a from a metric perspective, a little bit more crooked than it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a nice illusion just to like you shift one thing and then everything feels like it's falling apart.
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's that's the leck.
Speaker 2: Right there in the box.
Speaker 3: And then he does some.
Speaker 1: So there's some when you well you'll hear it life. It goes all over the place.
Speaker 3: It does, which but it but it makes sense because the song structure is so straightforward that it keeps way to being able to kind of open it up because it's all I mean, it's pretty basic and it's in its structure, so it allows for that openness and I can see and I can see that, yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. And then with the pattern there, it's it's largely in a box. We've talked about. He keeps some of his riffs in a box physical box. Uh. And it's kind of looking you know, it looks a bit peditonic, and then there's the chromatic uh shift downwards. There's some cool stuff going on there. But it's it's bouncy. Of course, it's so reminiscent of tax Man, but it's its own thing. It's it sounds like a lot of fun to play, It looks like a lot of fun to play.
Speaker 3: It is it is a lot of fun. And now he's singing on top of this.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the hard part, right, the hard part.
Speaker 1: And it's one of it's another of another, one of those songs that have a chance to breathe new life. On the second leg of the tour, when Liz finally decided to start playing the pachyderm because on the record and on the first leg he used to play mister Wright on the resonator.
Speaker 2: That would sound strange. I don't think I've heard any of those first leg recordings of them playing any of these tunes on the resonator with money Mark.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's strange. If you listen to the original, you can see the mid rangee timber from banking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll buy that.
Speaker 1: It's worth highlighting that Liz has introduced this song multiple times on stage as a song absolutely despised by his daughter.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yes, that's right. She says she really doesn't like this one for the lyrical content it is. It is pretty creepy, and so that it was called creeping, and that the word creeping is used numerous times through the song. I mean, it's it's very much like the that bass lick ko that the word creeping and that bass lick are probably they occur so often in this tune that now I cannot extricate them from one another.
Speaker 3: It's a creeper, creeper riff. It's a creeping riff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You can just you can just see the guy setting up the little cameras everywhere in his airbnber whatever in his rental property. And with that, you know that he's just jaunting through the house because with that bouncy bass riff behind him going, he's setting up these cameras. I'm a pervert.
Speaker 1: I just want to mention that before this album dropped, I did hear Creaking and the Genie because I was just too curious about the collaboration. I couldn't help it. So I heard that song many times. But then, yeh, before the record, they also released Mister Wright as another teaser for the album, and I remember hitting the plate bottom and I heard just the opening bars of the song and I stopped it because I thought, this is too good. I need to I need to save this for when the album is released so I can hear everything back to back. I didn't want to spoil any more tracks. So the opening grief of Mister wright was so compelling I decided to wait for the record.
Speaker 2: I am impressed that you demonstrated such restraint, Frankie, because we know that if you are given a morsel, you'll take the entire cookie. So you'll just you'll just gobble up whatever's put in front of you. That's that's impressive And and something so inviting as this lick that starts the tune that Kao is just hammering away on in the background.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, I tell you something, the more I play it, the more it flows, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh certainly, yeah, So you're getting some practicing while we While we speak, I'm going to forward to about a minute and a half into the tune because there it wants it's going. I will say, like in the first minute we get what we're going to get. There are no dramatic shifts, and that's totally fine. We've talked about the all A songs and Kay you mentioned it. There's the foundational lick. We get that for about four minutes with some variations. It's I think it's solid enough to carry carry through. But it is a pretty cool groove. As the tune is well established, I'll just play a little bit more here weal sound Less was getting ready for that Tribute to Kings tour with that melodar.
Speaker 3: I need to do something, not just because.
Speaker 2: Frank, are you grabbing your melotron? I'm grabbing excellent, We're going to hear it on the resonator. That sounds just like that sounds much rounder. Yeah, fascinating, It does sound more more like it. I almost prefer that. Now, bring back the resonator, CLD, let's do it. That's that's fascinating because we are so used, of course to the packet term basis. Now it's been many years that he's been exclusively using those with the resonator sprinkled in for Primus shows and of course on due to Twang, but we just haven't seen it since that first leg of the Cold I know where you're going with that one. So uh so, the musicality on display, it's really cool to hear them because we're you know, Less kind of dominates this tune, and he plays that melotron part too, and so Sean's making those whale sounds pretty cool. Whale sounds, by the way.
Speaker 1: I just find it. I just find it really mind blowing that Liz was playing that riff with his right hand whilst playing the melotron with his left hand.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, Sun, Come on now.
Speaker 3: I mean I could see him do that Getty style.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, he could be hammering on that lick and playing the melotron with his right hand. That's that's not too bad.
Speaker 1: It's doable.
Speaker 2: Workshop it a little bit and then make sure you grab your your little keyboard and go crazy. But it's fun to hear. It's a fun groove. It certainly is what carries us through four minutes, and certainly the lyrics. There's a lot of space for the lyrics and the vocals. They are on full display. Are I appreciate the chorus, though I do like the repetition of creeping. The rhyme scheme in our chorus is A B A C, and then in our verses it's a B A A. So like the first versus dance pants dance dance, which is fun to say on its own, dance pants dance dance, sleep, peep shower flower p glee. Yeah, it is kind of fun to hear less single word P. Matt Weininger, you are correct, uh, And it's all about setting up the cameras and watching people go about their business when they think they have privacy. And he does call him, he does say, good old find upstanding mister, right, so he's upstanding pillar of community. Actually pervert. That's the headline. Creeping through the night doing that stuff, peeping on people.
Speaker 3: It's a topic.
Speaker 1: It's a current topic.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely it is. It just goes right back to those privacy concerns. Everybody has has those cameras everywhere, and now the newest problem now is those damn smart glasses. So people are wearing those all around and you do not know when they're recording. Now. They are designed, they are designed to have a little led light that's turned on on the frame when the camera's activated. But of co course people have already found workarounds to that. There's little laquers that you can paint on there to cover the light. So you have no idea if somebody's wearing smart glasses and recording you anymore unintended consequence. I don't know about you, guys, but when I enter an Airbnb rental, the first thing I do is look for cameras. No, nope, okay, all right, so you got you guys, Just give him the full show. Yeah, okay, what the hell? Hey, you know I got a deal, throw the guy up both. I don't have a ton to say about the lyrics. I mean they tell the story pretty well. There's a lot of sensory detail, like putting a twitch into his pants.
Speaker 3: That's that's nice.
Speaker 2: Uh, The exhilarated by the peep calling the girl he watches in the shower such a pretty little flower that is disturbing. Uh. And the the trembling with glee, creeping through the night to ease his lust full play. Obviously, something's gone wrong with mister Right. And by the way, that something's wrong with mister Wright. I don't want to call a low hanging fruit. But I made the same pun in like fourth grade.
Speaker 3: I know I did, But you know what, I think that lines that basically, that's why it's called mister right.
Speaker 2: It's yes, it's there to serve that Like, that's exactly why it's there.
Speaker 3: It serves it serves that line. Some of the best lyrics from from Less are storytelling lyrics, you know those the goal go and tell story about something. And this is even though it is a somewhat peculiar and disturbing story it is taking you through that piece of news, right right. Less knows how to tell story.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he does this. He does it really well here, and it is it's certainly creepy. I don't think it else is the line, but it's creepy.
Speaker 1: And what is, at least, at least for me, what is really spectacular about his songwriting skills is that Less has brought forward so many tragic and sometimes on savory characters like this one, but never loathsome. Even if what mister Wright is doing in the narrative is completely despicable, you do not walk away from the track with at least I don't walk away from it with negative feelings. I just find it really quirky and compelling without being without being something straight out loathsome.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not a downer exactly. It's the music's too fun. But certainly it gave I'm sure it gave me pause when I first read these lyrics back in twenty sixteen, and and and certainly now I think, wow, this is this is something else, but that you know, this reflects the world around us, and I think that's the most disturbing element. I want to hear your summation of this this track, and you're interested at ko because we have the we have the lick that takes us through there's some interesting musical moments. But what does it do for you?
Speaker 3: What type of question is that you know? It's it's it's I think only only Less can make something like this work. I think that's does for me because it's you know, it's funny. Because I was, I was, I don't know if I should be talking about this, But as we were recording some stuff, the topic of Primus Claypole's composed in arrangement was discussed with with in the studio, with the person that I normally record and mix with, and and he listened and he said, that's Primus, right, And I'm like, yes, it's not Primus, but I mean it's Less. He's like, I knew it because I mean all the song is basically the same lick that was. That was his comment, and I was. I started thinking about it. And when you when you were used to listening to this music, you oversee that, you oversee some details because it's it's part of the adventure, right. But then I started thinking about songs and I said, yes, yes, yes, then think about this. How hard it is for a common and I put it on this in less warning for the common folk to kind of come about songs that work in its simplest form, you know, yea, because it's one brief to rule them all. You know, it's one song, one driff, and and and and you can walk through the catalog how many great songs he's done with one lick? Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And that's not an easy task, you know. And this this one is a great song. It works, that the the all in the song in the song works, but the lick stands for itself. You know, even the the full loop of the of the lick is it's good enough. You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, you make a great point, like it's it would be a massive challenge for anybody to come up with a lick and a melody that they can carry for four minutes and and keep people's interest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and that makes you think of how many great rifts and licks let's just come up with, yeah, that stand on their own just being looked for several minutes, and they work. Yeah, because they're they're great drifts.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. And that's that would work as I would say, that would function as an excellent counter argument to anybody who listens to it and says it's just the same thing. It's the same thing over and over again. Of course it's more subjective.
Speaker 3: And think about this like and I think, like, I mean, we're talking about mister right right now, but my name is mud Oh certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their biggest song.
Speaker 3: It's one drift.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's that lick for four and a half minutes and it works, and it works. Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: But but you can't forget the ghost notes just.
Speaker 3: Leads some reinterpretation of the riff within the song. But I but again, I mean, it takes a lot of genius to make that work, and make it work in a song that stands the test of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that makes perfect I think.
Speaker 3: I think that's why it works. And also because it's a great riff. Let's not forget that.
Speaker 2: Certainly, Well, it didn't make sense, but Ko fixed it. You passed the task. Congratulations, that was your Kobashi maru.
Speaker 3: And you caught me like in the in the post tour foggy mindset, so I kind of had to do some work there. A.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've talked about it enough, so it's time for Primemates Takes. If you want your take on the track up for discussion, read right here on the podcast. All you have to do is go to Patreon dot com. Ford's Lash, Primus tracks and the universal constant over there is Primeates Takes amongst all the tears of support for Josh and Frankie. So let's hear from our pals a guy. Frankie says, I don't think there's a He's a Hello guy. He says, I don't think there's a week song on the album. But if I would rank them, mister Wright might come in last. With its position between two of my album's favorites, and with more evolvement in the lyrics rather than the music, it doesn't really leave a real mark like so many of the other songs do. And of course it is another one of the uplifting, catchy Claypoolian songs that hide underneath a dark and disturbing story. Anthony del preet go Bills says, this tune always sounded like a bastardized tax man to me. Joined the club, Anthony, and and he says, besides Duchess, I'm not sure that less it has ever done so much with a single repetitive riff minus the mini low end call down. He doesn't there, that's so he's comparing it to Duchess.
Speaker 3: Now, it could be that as he was working on this rift he did borrow some inspiration from tax men. It's quite just because he was working with John.
Speaker 2: There there had to be that subliminal connection without without.
Speaker 3: Question, someone someone will have to ask less that's right, But I think I think at this time we can just assume that that was the case. Yeah, Oh, certainly they were probably jamming. I mean, if you're if you're playing with them, you might as well just spice up some goodles stuff and probably jamming one thing took them to another. And he was like, I like this as their dies tax men, so I'll I'll bring it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be a nice litmus test. See if Sean is willing to put up with it. And of course they've covered tomorrow never knows. The CLD has many a time our pal Mickey Waters says atmospheric song about horrible and desperate men and the depths they'll go just to see some women at their most vulnerable, or to try to get a little action. Obviously, it's a great bassline lyrics are repetitive. I'm guessing just to really emphasize the point. Johnny Pirona says, I typically skip over this one. The main group is fine, but it isn't interesting enough to be the whole song in my opinion. The lyrics are creepy, but they make me laugh. Similarly, Ryan Rashan says one of the catchiest and creepiest songs I've ever heard. Eric in Australia says, we've reached the peak of the record already. This is by far my favorite track. Absolutely ripping bass riff and brilliant lyrical flow, repetitive yet ingenius. I do enjoy Lennon elements on the record, but perhaps Chiner's almost non vocal contributions elevate this one. I do love the two of them. With the creeping, creeping, creeping part that Sean contributes to. It's great.
Speaker 3: Brooks breaks him down.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Kao Gonzalez. Brooks is about to take our jobs, as he says, the baseline and the A part groove so hard, there's no need for a B part. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Speaker 1: That's it, Let's go home, that's it. Wrap it up yeps.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, Edwin Allen Richards, the fourth our Landed Gentry says, this song makes me deeply uncomfortable. It's got a great groove with the subject matter, just gets under my skin. Tends to be a track I'll skip more often than not.
Speaker 3: But you know, if you see a common topic here is I guess for most of the people that either it's not a top song or they prefer not to go through it is because of the lyrical content.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does justice to the creep Yes, yes, certainly, Yeah, absolutely. We have one more, John Shreeve. There are a lot of ones on this one, a lot of opinions. We'll wrap it up with John Shreeve, who says the inspiration for the lyrics is something that I probably don't need to know as a proud girl dad. The music songs lyrics comes off as evil carnival music, which only heightens the ick factor of the character of mister Wright. That's the primates takes. Thank you for your takes.
Speaker 1: Art will not always be loved. So I think if a piece if a piece of art is making people feel uncomfortable and ikey, it is serving a purpose.
Speaker 2: So just doing its job.
Speaker 1: Art will be great as long as it generates our reaction, whether it be positive or negative. If it leaves you feeling indifferent, then it was not well executed at all. So I think this is a testament to mister Wright being very compelling, and not necessarily because it will be a beloved song, but because it does generate quite a reaction in people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, and it's not transgressive in any way, but it's certainly there's enough there to elicit an emotional response, and that's not a bad thing. It's time for Frankie's favorite part of the show, Live cuts, a GM vehicle, Live cuts from the GEM vehicle, Live cuts.
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what's going on here? To somebody voice of Tim sayan, it's the Ko Gonzales remix. We have a few live cuts of mister Wright, all of them, by the way, between five minutes and fifty seconds and six minutes, so they really dialed it in. Frankie, that's very interesting that they're all very close. The precision here is impressive.
Speaker 1: It's a whale oiled machine.
Speaker 2: We have clearly not talking about this whale oil machine. Yeah oil. I was gonna say, well, Oiled Machine. You're not talking about this podcast. Frankie did provide three live cuts today. The first is from Columbus, Ohio. Is this the Heart of the Sunrise show again?
Speaker 1: Yes, So we're going to hear show.
Speaker 2: So what's gonna happen is we're gonna end up hearing every live Sorry, we're gonna end up hearing every song that was played at this show except for Heart of the Sunrise because it's not on any of the albums. Oh man, all right, So this is Columbus, Ohio twenty sixteen. Let's hear some, mister Wright. It's a nice groove, it sounds good, it's a nice recording to Let's move it up to the keyboard part. Remember this is not less on bass and keyboards simultaneously. Who's the keyboardist on this one?
Speaker 1: Frankie, Uh, Pete Dungle.
Speaker 2: Let's hear what Pete does? Oh yeah, this is that's less pushing Sean to play more lead. Yeah, I sounded solo. So are you here? What are you hearing in this chaos? A pretty pretty close to the record for you right now?
Speaker 3: It is more laid back, more laid back. Right here, it's more laid back he's he's doing more more of the he's gonna playing it more in the backbeat, and there's a be more syncopation. That's what I hear.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Let's let's see what you hear in this part, because it is labeled bass solo. Nice. I appreciate that you can hear that once and replicate it right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It is a very clipless baseball, That's what I can.
Speaker 2: Say very much. So, yeah, sounded great. We really do need you to just to show up sometime and play in the background for the entire episode. You don't have to do that now, but it would be thrilling one of these times. Ah man. Next one is sweet Water Festival, or as Frankie labeled its sweet Watter sweet Water. All right, this is the uh Atlanta, Georgia twenty nineteen and so.
Speaker 1: We South of Reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, South of Reality tour. So we had talked about I think with Cricket. We we got a twenty nineteen cut of that and it just sounded so good difference because they had had it in hand for so long. So I'm curious to hear what this one's going to sound like.
Speaker 3: What I can tell that's not the messinater.
Speaker 1: No, so it's it's back.
Speaker 3: It's yes, it sounds thinner, okay, sounds good. It sounds like lass. But I mean I can I can see the the change there.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, m letting her rip a bit there? Nice? So is that the routine, Frankie, there's a guitar solo, bass solo and yes, okay, that's what elongates the tune.
Speaker 1: All right, And and there there there will always be as well a part where it's just drums and vocals.
Speaker 2: Just drums and vocals. Yes, is that near the end?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's after the bass solo. Actually interesting, if you want to let it play, we might find out.
Speaker 2: I don't okay, nothing against mister Wright, of course. Where can people find these? By the way, these available on YouTube and o their places.
Speaker 1: Yes, these were webcasts back in the days. As I told you, we were spoiled. We were spoiled with the Lyrium because they did broadcast professionally several of their at least all the festivals, and some hidlining shows here and there. That's why we have these treasure trove of professional recordings.
Speaker 2: And they do sound fantastic.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Our final life cut is from Voodoo Art Festival, or, as Frankie labeled it, the Voodoo you do? You do? What happened to you? Man?
Speaker 1: I used to be so serious when I sent you the Times down truck.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were professional, Yes, And now now I have to sift through what whatever your code is to find the true hidden meetings. Let's hear the Let's hear some guitar solo here at this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you think, Ko, would you jam with Sean Lennon or what?
Speaker 3: I would definitely do that. But one thing, I was actually referencing Claypol's conversation. Yeah topic, this is Shunned reacting to Less Claypole drift.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So he's having a conversation with Less, which makes it, in his own way, reminiscent of something we're familiar with. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It does, Yeah, because it's there playing off one another, and we've we've heard whoever plays with Less do that. This was you know, this is twenty sixteen, but even for fifteen years prior to that, that's what we're hearing in uh Froe Brigade fancy band, so even in Primus too, yees.
Speaker 3: So he allows his guitar players to just be waky, you know, be noisy and wacky and the melodic in a very non complacive way. You know. So it's but and he was a great soul, you know he was. I like, you know, the different the difference between the other players you normally jam s with is uh the tonal qualities?
Speaker 1: Was that? What was that a false effect he was using for the soul?
Speaker 3: He has some some some fuss, He has some Coursey like effects going on there as well. But it was the it's it's it's it's in between the phrasing and and it's not as as dissonant as probably Larry Wood or as not. The melody is not as uh as broken as it would be. Uh frog Brigade, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: It is it is more along the lines of but but again it is it is what it is.
Speaker 1: But you know what, that's that's really incredible. I mean, that's why it was so interesting to see Larry playing frog Brigade and Sausage Tunes on the first claypol Gold incarnation, because the songs are never gonna be the same, and that's what makes them fascinating. I Mean, for example, you have Sean Lennon asking Liz during the rehearsals of the fal tour of the Frog Brigade, he was like, how the hell do I play a buckethead solo? Unless I don't know? Man, you figure it out. And the same happens with riddles. I mean, nobody will ever be able to replicate that to guitar line. So what we hear are other guitar players takes on that guitar line. And that's what makes this song really interesting, certainly.
Speaker 3: The interpretation of a different voice through through those those licks and those rifts, and those songs, and and and the different approaches in in soloing and melodies and the conversation. The conversational aspect that we were talking.
Speaker 2: About, Well, I have a feeling the lyrical protagonist or antagonist is having a conversation with his lawyer right now, mister Wright. That ish so I I will safely say this, mister Wright, Uh, call your lawyer for real, because you've been tracked and uh they're they're come, They're closing in on you. Next time, Frankie, I'm going to hand you this oddly shaped stick and I want you to throw it.
Speaker 1: I'll do a thorough search on Google.
Speaker 2: Cho Gonzalez, thank you so much for joining us yet again.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's always fantastic speaking with you.
Speaker 3: It's my pleasure. And some things I would like to share with you before I go, please. So I was at Nam and I got a chance to play for you.
Speaker 1: Were you in Vietnam?
Speaker 2: This is Frankie's dad joke, you can ignore him.
Speaker 3: The other the other name. And I went to the package in booth talk to Megan. She's very she's great. And I got a chance to play this leek.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: And I got a chance to see the Walnut base Imperial will Nut Walnut that has been toured Bye bye Less their gracements. They are great instruments, and.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to purchase one.
Speaker 3: Hopefully I will, but uh, I've tried. And but some things that I found peculiar is that apparently Less likes his basis with very low action.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think he's mentioned that.
Speaker 3: Which is very interesting. And now the other thing I was going to share is I was just in New York and I went to meet the one and only Carl Thompson.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wanted to ask you about that because that photo of you and Carl.
Speaker 3: You wanted to ask me, Yes, you are already you were ready to let me go.
Speaker 2: I was, I was gonna throw to you because I was going to ask some questions.
Speaker 3: Then I won't say anything until you asked me. Now, I was going to meet him a year and a half ago, but my New York crip got scrapped, and so with with the tour we were doing two days in New York. I said, I have to go meet Carl. So we made it happen. So I went to his house. It was or the world that I think, how can I because it's one of those for me particularly, and that's when I posted the picture. I put that in there. This is this was one of those bucket list moments for me, you know, because I knew I had to personally meet Carl and thank him for the inspiration his instruments basically brought to me directly and indirectly through less but it's talking to him. I could definitely, I mean I could. I could understand a lot of things on his on his art. He is very much in line with this what he belives in and he leaves by it, and it basically translates into what he does and how he.
Speaker 2: Does it, you know, So he's the genuine article.
Speaker 3: He's a true artist.
Speaker 1: That's what you're It's exactly impression. It's exactly the impression that I got when I watched that Jason Momoa episode.
Speaker 3: And he and he has a lot of stories to tell, a lot of stories. He is overall a great man and I and I truly appreciated and I told him that I appreciate his time. Is just welcoming me into his house finally meeting him in person. We talked before, but this was the first time we met in person. And as I was talking to him and I'll send you a picture, and as I was talking to it, in front of us, there was a gold record sent to him by Les Claypole when they released Tales from the Punch Bowl awesome nice addressed addressed to Carl and the comment that Calls said regarding that is he got that in the mail and he said, he called Less, I think and he said, why am I getting this? And he said, I'm not on the record, and Less said you are, Oh yeah, you are all all over the record. You know. Basically that's all As Claypole playing with Carl Thompson.
Speaker 2: I mean that that record, the fred at six, the Rainbow, the four string. Absolutely, that's that's a beautiful sentiment.
Speaker 3: It is so it speaks of the man itself, of his art, his focus, he's a way of living, never compromising his art for anything. So that's that's a great testament to his to his work.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you for sharing Killer. That was brilliant.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for you that you met Carl.
Speaker 1: Magical things happen every time we travel to New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you two.
Speaker 3: It was me.
Speaker 2: I just get mon man. Thank you again Kao by the way, and for taking the time, because you have so many demands on your time and it astonishes me that you hang with us.
Speaker 3: So thanks, no, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm more than happy to finally made it happen. I was. I was trying to we're trying to do this as I was on the road, but logistics there were out of my control.
Speaker 2: Well, we're lucky that they announced a new album. It gave us an excuse.
Speaker 1: You were too busy. Trash and CULTI rooms, we get.
Speaker 2: It, yes, and eating only green M and ms yea man.
Speaker 3: Eating I think that the eating indeed was a poor activity.
Speaker 2: Everybody's favorite uh primates, primatrons, people of Earth, people of Phobos, people of Atalahara. Thank you all so much for listening. We'll see you next time when when it's no Jase. Also later days, Willa Mace