Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 2: Fellasiko's I Am Dana Valley coming at you with mister Mike Sure of Basketball Poetry, a favorite around these parts who we reference on many of shows. Follow him on the social machines at bee Ball is poetry spelled exactly as it sounds. I love when I get to do that and I don't have to sit here and spell it out. Be ball is poetry. Go follow him. Mike's work is fantastic. You go find the link to subscribe to Basketball's Poetry in the YouTube and podcast descriptions. I highly, highly highly recommend his work, especially if you're listening to this podcast. We're here to do a breakout candidates for twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven NBA Draft. But first the question that I'm sure the masses are dying to know the answer to, Mike, how has it been since we last caught up?
Speaker 1: I guess like probably this time last year.
Speaker 3: Around Yeah, yeah, we last time we'd spoke was last summer, a little later in the summer, and.
Speaker 4: I'd say it was pretty good. I thought it was a pretty fun NBA year.
Speaker 3: I think it's been a fantastic NBA offseason. I'm sure you have no complaints with how the season unfolded, So yeah.
Speaker 1: I have one come.
Speaker 2: I mean I could complain like James Dolan is wrong Fait the second Aprin, but that's just that's just me. Yeah, I have zero zero, I guess complaints from within the last year for sure.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to do the Breakout Candidate's Draft with you. We did Hidden Gems last year and this is kind of along the same lines. We're not just selecting the biggest breakout candidate names, but guys that were interested in for a variety of reasons. I did want to ask you though, before we actually dug in, was there anything to just your approach of this, Like what makes a we don't know who the other is gonna pick. There's a huge pool of players. I think it ended up being like fifty something players. But what was your what attracts you to someone as a breakout Canada? Like, what is what's that factor that really makes you glom onto them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that the most interesting players are the one for whom the context around them changes dramatically, and that can be as small and that could be as dramatic as changing teams entirely to just like having change in teammates to having a new coach, Like I'm looking for places where guys are suddenly going to have new opportunities that might not have been there before. I think that's that was sort of like my guiding principle, But it's not. There's no hard and fast rules. Right when you think about breakouts, there's several levels to it. It could be guys who are end of the rotation struggling to stay in the league becoming steady contributors. It could be eighth men becoming fifth men. It could be you know, like low level starters becoming quasi all star.
Speaker 4: Like there's a whole like, you know, there's a whole.
Speaker 3: Different set of groupings for all these and I think that I try to pick a couple guys from all of them.
Speaker 2: I opportunity is something that I think they'll have anyway, is something that I weigh more than anything. But I have one or two guys on my list where it's I just believe in them, and the circumstances aren't really the environment, the pecking order aren't really set up for them to maybe necessarily have the convention for people to.
Speaker 1: See it coming a mile away.
Speaker 2: But I think they're going to become under and that might be irrational a little bit, Like that's the part where I struggle, because opportunity is such a huge part of it unless you think that a player is like maybe they have a new coach and they're gonna play them more and so like the roles and technically there but oh or wouldn't have been there previously, but they're about to get it. There is an element for me the where I try and why do I feel like this player is undeniable? And that's very rarely the case. I think that environment plays a huge part in not just the development but the actual opportunity they're getting. But I try to I try to spot someone that I think is going to become undeniable, and anyone who listens to this podcast knows I have at least one of them, mostly if they come up during this draft though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean your initial pool was fifty or you know, the pool is like fifty plus players that are going to become undeniable next year.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about that. Well, a lot to talk about it. If that's the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna get through every single one. We're gonna go through every single player, but we are gonna do We're gonna do lottery style, so each makes seven picks. Mike, you have the first. So with the first pick in the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven breakout Player Draft, who will you be taking?
Speaker 3: Well, I wanted to start with one of maybe the bigger names of my personal list, and that is a certain Minnesota Timberwolf who goes by Jaden McDaniels, Jade mcdale. A lot of the guys on this list, Skew Younger, h Jaye. McDaniels is a vet at this point. You know, he's been in the league for six years, I think, but I just think that like he has a chance to really break out in a real way this year.
Speaker 4: His scoring has gone up almost every year of his career.
Speaker 3: We know the defense is elite, although I will say that last year was a little discouraging that regard because he kind of reverted back to his worst fouling tendencies. The three point percentage, you know, rose dramatically last year, even though the volume is limited. But every year it feels like he rises to the playoff occasion, right, Like he gets a little bit better in the playoffs every single season except for that one year where he like punched a wall and broke his hand.
Speaker 4: We'll leave that one aside.
Speaker 3: And now, like you're swapping out basically Julius Randall for LaMelo Ball in.
Speaker 4: The starting lineup around him.
Speaker 3: That's such an improvement in past singing, in spacing, and I think that's gonna really play to his strengths because he's like a fantastic finisher. The Wolves have always played kind of slow, and I think he could be a monster in transition. You just he never gets out in transition, and I think having Ball on the team with him, I think I would assume Mo being on the team with him, Like they're gonna play a lot faster than they usually do. And I think you're gonna see McDaniel's turn into this like monster in the open court. I think if the shooting touch is real, like he doesn't have to put up a huge volume, but I think that like it can be sort of Aaron Gordon esque, where like if you're just hitting enough of them, even on smaller volume, then like people have to respect that, right. And I just think the Wolves in general are gonna be super fun. I think they're gonna be super different. I think that the Lamello injection, if he can stay healthy, is going to just change the way they look and feel. And I think that McDaniels is gonna be able to absorb some of this finishing and playmaking duties from Randall and just put up numbers that people that might surprise people like I don't think it's out of the realm possibility that he's like an eighteen point per game scorer next year while still being an elite defender.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because his offense. If we rewound the clock like three years ago, I never would have predicted that he's done as much with the ball in his hands as he as he has at this stage. I also do wonder, yes, none of the none of the players on this roster feel like they have as much tunnel vision as a Julius Randall on the ball, But I do worry about him maybe getting lost in the shuffle of and Anthony Edwards LaMelo and I would assume move being there my bigger question because I want in theory, I love this and I want to love it. But I was digging into the lineup data for Jade McDaniels, like a few weeks ago at the four, and it's like, if the plan is to play him at power forward, I'm very curious to see how it pans out, because the data on that was one sparse just because they haven't done it a ton and two wasn't that great. And so I would think, offensively, do you think him playing at the four more would actually help Unlocked, because right now he has to He's not gonna have a choice. He's gonna play at the four more, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it is going to help.
Speaker 3: And I think it's the combination of him being at the four, with LaMelo being at the one and at the two, and obviously Io at the three.
Speaker 4: I think there's just there's one more shooting in.
Speaker 3: There's a lot more pace to this roster in a way that think is going to really benefit the Wolves.
Speaker 4: As a whole.
Speaker 3: And McDaniel's specifically like Dosumu is basically like a cannonball, right Like he gets out there, he's running down the court as fast as he can.
Speaker 4: LaMelo is one of the best hit a head passers in the league.
Speaker 3: And I think, like people, people I think have a somewhat unfair opinion Lavel like people know he's a good passer, and yet I think he's also viewed as sort of like a ball hog, if that makes sense. You know, Like I think people are worried about like his decision making stuff like that. I don't think that's ever been as a big deal in practice as people think. I think there are some high profile moments where like he takes you know, his one foot falling down three pointer after seventeen crossovers, if you're like, this guy just doesn't get it. And I don't really think that's true for the other ninety nine percent of the game. And so I think that like he is going to have like a rising tie lifts all boats kind of thing for some of the supporting characters on this team. And you know, conversely, we'll see what happens with the Hornets without LaMelo ball to be there to stir the drink, which that's a different situation in question. But but I do think that like McDaniel's to me, is a guy who has a lot of talents that he's never been able to unlock.
Speaker 4: I do think he's going to be great in transition. I do think he's great.
Speaker 3: He is great around the rim, it's just been really hard for him to get there when he's always been playing small forward and as power forward.
Speaker 4: I think it's just me a lot easier for him to get there.
Speaker 3: And every year his handle gets a little better, he gets a little more confident attacking off the dribble. I just I think things are prime for him to have a big year. I think the risks are there's just a lot of mouths on the Wolves to feed, right, and I think that like it might just be that, like, even if the offense is what it is, if they just get crushed on the boards too bad, or if McDaniels can't hold up playing power forward, there's a risk that they can't play him in a way that is optimal for him offensively. But I so I totally hear you in that reguard. But I am optimistic that this is going to be a big time upgrade for him overall.
Speaker 2: I if he levels up, like within the context of this team, I don't know if people understand how huge that will be, because he's already so good, like offensively just as a player, and so I didn't have him on my initial list. So I found that to be a fascinating pick, and I'll root for it because I'm one mellow ball truther, so I'm very much a Wolves fan this season. I need to be vindicatd and I I what you were saying, for the most parts is music to my years. About LaMelo is I think a lot of the stuff I think it's fair. A lot of the Christmas is fair. I also think last year was the first season that we got to see him on a real team for an extended period of time and left a bad taste our mouths with the way they went out in the play in. And I don't think I will not be suckered into man I lie, I probably will be. I won't be suckered into the early season rim frequency that he's delivered in the past, and then it just kind of tapers off. So there are real problems there. But I loved the swing by them. I'm gonna go, oh, go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, I agree.
Speaker 3: I just I think Ball is like gonna be It's there's gonna be a lot more consensus now about who Ball is as a player.
Speaker 4: Right like right now it's split.
Speaker 3: He's very polarizing as a player, and I think after this year we're gonna have a much better idea of like how good how much he can really impact winning at a high level.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited for that. I'm always excited for answers to questions, are you.
Speaker 2: Excited to talk about low hanging fruit here? With the second pick in the drift absolutely of the San Antonio Spurs. I bolded him when we were going through this first. I'm not sure if he's in the spe of this exercise, but I would say that this is someone who if you considered him a rookie breakout, it would not shock me if we're having a Dylan Harper All Star conversation this year. A lot of that is going to depend on will they start him, And the answer is they better like Deannon Fox can still be in this to just do it, Like I'm kind of he is that good. I do have questions, but I think the defense for a rookie, especially when some of the moments he had in the.
Speaker 1: Postseason was absolutely monstrous.
Speaker 2: His ability to just generate from scratch rim pressure, whether it's he has a head start or he's working from a dead stop. I did not see anything like that coming. And this is someone who doesn't pay as much attention to college basketball. I am a little concerned, but I think he's going to get better when you look at a lot of the turnover data when Fox is not on the court for him, I think that's why Danreon Fox is still important to the Spurs. Generally worse for Steph Castle than is Dylan Harper, but like the Spurs were turning the ball over every five seconds in the playoffs when Dylan Harper on the court without Darren Fox. And I had two other questions about his offense. Specifically, I think he's a better passer than even we've seen. I think that he's just gonna give him more pick and roll reps. It won't just be stuff that maybe he's working out of drives. My two big questions were does he have a pull up jumper? Because I also thought that's why Darn Fox was important to work for that in between range. After the playoffs, the answer to me is yes, his effective field goal percentage on pull up jumpers increased by more than ten percentage points in the playoffs. Like that just doesn't happen for a rookie like to have that type of jump. My other question is will the three ball be a viable weapon and I'm less sure there. The percentages on his you know, stand still looks in the regular season were fine, sub thirty one percent on catch and shoot looks in the playoffs. How much of that is he was he was kind of playing a higher usage role at points. So given the Spurs still needs shooting, his development as an overall shooter or someone who can shoot off the bounce is going to be big.
Speaker 1: But this is just someone who the tunity should be there.
Speaker 2: But if you think that, if that the Spurs won't begin the season starting him, this is a situation where to me, he's gonna become undeniable and need to be in there, whether you're running small and that you're trying to play with Fox Castle and Harper more of those minutes just from the jump, he is so good. And this is like Grant, my co host, was all over this. Like coming into the draft, I wasn't not a Daling Harper guy, but it wasn't just someone I thought was gonna be, oh, this will be an all NBA guy and what we saw as a rookie, No, like this is an all NBA guy. And for anyone who wanted the Spurs to make more fireworks, over the summer. The firework might just be, well, we're gonna let dealing Harper marinate and go kaboom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm in basically total agreement.
Speaker 3: I think the Fox question is so interesting because like you do in theory, need a guy who's a better shooter on the on the court, right at the guard position, you do in theory you need a guy who's a little more careful of the ball. But then you look at the numbers and the lineup data for Harper, Castle and women now it.
Speaker 4: Together without Fox, Okay, with Fox off in.
Speaker 3: About four hundred possessions, super small sample size, but we're gonna talk about it anyway. Plus forty two net raining forty two good.
Speaker 4: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: I mean that's like so much better than the best rating that's ever been recorded in NBA history over bigger sample size. Obviously, it's crazy, and that means that it's something you have to explore further. Obviously wouldn't be a plus forty two forever, right, But like that tells me. And the hilarious thing is like their one hundred percent tile on offense and also one hundred percent tile on defense, So there's basically forget the turnovers. Forget the spacing, It didn't really matter in the handful of possessions we saw them do, and.
Speaker 4: That's actually something that carried over into the playoffs too.
Speaker 3: So I had the same like recollection, like the turnovers or a problem, you need Fox out there to stabilize the offense. But that was more of like a Stephan Castle, darn Fox issue than it was at Dylan Harper Darren Fox issue because this same foursome or sorry, the same threesome. So Harper Castle On wenting now without Fox in the playoffs still outscored teams by plus nineteen points per under possession, which is still an outst like outrageous figure, even given that their turnover rate was very bad. So I just like, I think that's one of those things where, like the on paper stuff, you see why Fox makes sense on paper, but then you go in you look at whatever small amount of numbers we have and you're like, it kind of doesn't matter, Like you kind of just have to go and see what you've got with these three guys, because so far it's been nothing but positive. And the Spurs obviously would have done some things a little differently if they had known they're gonna get the number two pick.
Speaker 4: You can't really fault them for that.
Speaker 3: Although even though I didn't like the Fox contract at the time and stuff, but that is a sunk cost. That's something you're gonna have to figure out how to work around, whether that's bringing Fox off the bench or trading them. Like I think Fox is helpful. They don't have great Garb depth on this team, and if there's an injury, he's gonna become even more valuable. But Harper Castle on Womeniyama or the future. You need to see them in much bigger minutes. Frankly, you need to see Harper next to Womenyama more.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I know I've been rambling for a while, but like Marb didn't get that much time with Wimby, and I think that's the key core that you do that you need to practice with over the railer season.
Speaker 2: I worry less about Daron Fox is a number, and more so, Daron Fox is just this political presence to wear. Well, what does it look like if you're benching this Max player right in favor of Dylan Harper and we didn't see I was shocked they didn't go to this more And I know availability had somebody that played with it, but Cleanglass had them with fifty four possessions of Fox, Castle and Harper together last year.
Speaker 1: Uh, the numbers is in.
Speaker 3: The regular season, it was like seventeen posessions in the regular season.
Speaker 4: I just looked at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just like, I don't I think you need to go to that more just because now you have to What are you gonna pay Daron Fox forty plus million fifty plus million to be a twenty minute per game guy. I mean, you have that flexibility if you really need to. But that's not going to help his trade value either. So I'm interested to see what that lineup is going to or how much more that lineup places because it doesn't have to play more now just by virtue of well, Dylan Harper needs a like fuck ton more minutes and like how else do we get there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I think you're rightly. I think they should explore it with Fox as well. But this is a good problem. Behalf all right, we should take a step back and be like, Fox is not in a take away the vacuum takeway everyone else. Fox is still a good player who will help you win games most of the time. He's just not a great fit with what they have now, it seems like. But to your point, they really didn't even try the three of them plus Wimby, and maybe maybe there is some magic there that we just haven't seen yet. So you're right, that is the first step. You're right they should play that first before they figure out what they can do about Fox.
Speaker 2: I also, look, I'm not gonna darn Fox was bad by the end of the playoffs. He was injured, but I also thought he did a better job during the regular season of wasn't on the ball as much as we saw him all the time, So I thought he did a better job trying to retro fit really around some of those Steph Castle minutes.
Speaker 1: But it's still it's a problem.
Speaker 2: We all like kind of clocked it going in, and it's going to be an issue. I'm so interested how mich Johnson handles it, though, because Dy Dylan Harper is what it surprised you. I mean, the West is still it's got star power if they're healthy. But if we're talking about Dylan Harper as a sophomore being in the All Star conversation this year, if that surprising, you.
Speaker 4: Can't surprise anybody after his postseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, the Spurs just having Dylan Harper's kind of unfair.
Speaker 1: But that's that's not either here nor there.
Speaker 4: You know, well I do.
Speaker 3: I do want to make it here and there for a second, because I do think that that was like one of the sticking points with like lottery reformants, like we don't want teams stacking multiple top four pictures and aren't you aren't we all kind of glad that Dylan Harper is on the Spurs instead of like on no Offensive Sacramento, but like, you know, stuck in Sacramento or some other team, Like I actually think putting the best young players on medium to good teams is better for those players and better for basketball overall, even if it means that we'll have a couple of sacrificial lambs who just get terrible lottery luck every year and I are left out in the coach. I'd rather that twenty seven other teams be better and more fun to watch if it means three teams are screwed, And I'm sorry for that, because those three teams it'll be that's not gonna make them feel better.
Speaker 4: But that's just my opinion.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean unfair in the pejorative sense, just like unfair just more of a compliment than anything. Look, I hate lottery reform. I think it was an overcorrection. I like, I'm excited at the idea when I was going through win totals and how low they are. Yeah, like, oh wow, if this really falls suit, a lot of team is going to be trying. So I'm I'm excited about that aspect. But I do think it was an over correction because I think had Adam Silver actually just been finding teams as much as he legally could and more consistently, that that would have eradicated the inside Like you doc owners millions of dollars enough times like yeah, that's gonna get them. So yeah, by the way, spurs under this, we'll see how lottery reform changes again. But we're never gonna see anything like this in the like quality of players maybe, but just three top five picks in successive years, that's gone now on a lot of reforms. This is just sort of like a relic of I don't think any team aspires to have three top five picks, but they were a perfect example with Dylan Harper where it was, oh we knew we were headed in the right direction and we weren't that terrible, but you ended up with Dylan Harper anyway. So I just mean unfair in the sense of, I guess that's cool, but I get the Knicks fan in me probably thinks that that's kind of unfair, like that this is the team that's gonna run the tables between that there's a reason them and okay see are still co favorites or depending on I think the thunder might have moved a favorites to win.
Speaker 1: It all next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nope, no further notes.
Speaker 2: What is up, fellow sickos. You're listening to this episode right now thinking wow, would be so cool if there were no ads on it.
Speaker 5: We have the power to make this the last ad you ever hear. And that's not a threat, it's more of a promise. The best way to support the podcast is to join our Patreon, which you can do at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwood Knocks NBA tons of perks there. In addition to the promise of and not threat. Can't emphasize that enough of no more ads, which is a huge bonus. We're going to do a couple of Patreon subscriber only pods. Every month, you get access to our discord. You just get to be a bigger part of this community. You get our sincerest appreciation, which really can you put a price on it? If you want to support the pod, that is the best way to do it. Thank you again as always for listening and for watching.
Speaker 1: And now back to the show. Who do you want to take with a third? Overall?
Speaker 4: Pick? I have so many good options.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to talk about a guy that I don't even love all that much, but I think he's just done enough that I really need to sit up and pay more attention. And that's Donovan Klingon, so big man from the Blazers, going into his third year now.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm not really a huge clinging guy, but I think it's so interesting that he basically had this kind of modest linear improvement in everything that he did last year. So three point percentage up, finishing up, efficiency, up, assists rate, up usage, your rebounding rates.
Speaker 4: Up, up and up. The block rate fell, but by way less than his foul rate fell. So I think that's something that, like, you know, the Blazers would be happy to have, especially given that he was playing a lot more minutes, so most interestingly, his turnover rader rate dropped by like almost fifty percent, and I think given that he was handling the ball more and doing more with it, I think that's a super positive sign. I don't even think Klingon is necessarily like this all world defender necessarily yet, but he is very good at the worst and he's just somebody who I think his talent on this team is so weird.
Speaker 3: On the Blazers right because they have no spacing. Again the traded for John Morant, who is going to make that problem worse, not better. But if you have no spacing, the easiest way to create some artificially is through screening. And I think that's something where we're gonna see Clinging really take a step forward this year. I think he could be a very valuable pick and roll partner for John Morant and for in the half court at least for Danny Avdia and guys like that. Just like he started to become much better last year, and I just like the advanced numbers kind of love Clinging, even offensively where I'm like, this guy's doesn't have great hands.
Speaker 4: Stuff.
Speaker 3: He was ninetieth percentile on offensive EPM last year after being fiftieth centile.
Speaker 4: As a rookie.
Speaker 3: Like literally everything about this guy was just a step up from his first year to his second year. And we know improvement isn't linear as a whole or in the specific for guys, but.
Speaker 4: It can be, and it might be for Clinging And.
Speaker 3: Even though they have a bunch of backup centers and they have a bunch of point guards and they really don't have anyone else in between. Like I, it's just one of those things where like every single arrow is kind of pointing in the same way, and I'm going to be paying attention.
Speaker 2: He was on my list and he was not in one of my top seven, And you kind of alluded to why the lack because in theory, you're getting back a healthy Damian Lillard, you are getting back John Moran, who was a very good passer.
Speaker 1: That should help Donovan Clington.
Speaker 2: But then you view it against the backdrop of the spacing and whatever this roster is trying to be, and I don't love it. I think what probably helps him is he took a lot more threes last year, most of which were coming above the break, but I also feel uncomfortable with Donovan Clinton needs to be one of my more important floor spacers while he's on the court. Defensively, I just have no notes for him. I know you said you didn't think he was all world last year. I had him like twelve when I was making my all defensive ballots for the podcast. Just the he's been in looking at like points saved at the rim since he's entered the league, and the ninetieth percentile or higher each time. He's just absolutely massive, can be slow. But I worried when he came in the league. I was completely out on him. I was like, Oh, he's not gonna be able to hold up defensively in the NBA. I was just so wrong. And I think he gives you an actual baseline too. I don't think starting Damian Lillard and John Moran is actually a good idea. I think it's all gonna I'm sorry, Belationships. I think it's all gonna end very badly. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But having Donovan Klingen as a backstop in addition to you still do have a jew holiday to Mani Kamara our luxuries. Other teams don't. I just don't know what the offensive development can look like for him, and he was more efficient last year. I think then you have like league average true shooting, which when you're factoring in that he was taking threes, I'll take it. I don't trust the hands still, and so we're gonna have to see like he's dealing with a bunch of different types of passers now too, when you look at jaw and Damian Lillard or Denny Avda. So how are most of his points going to come? That's why I boot him out of the top seven is I don't trust I now trust the player, I do not trust the environment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all, so that's probably Truely, I'm not expecting him to suddenly be like an eighteen point pre game score. I just think that, like if he keeps making these improvements, and I kind of think that the reason why the environment is so bad for the team is kind of why it might be good for him. There's gonna be a lot of misses, there's gonna be a lot of opportunity. He led the league in offensive rebounding last year. I think he could easily do it again. I think, like I said, I think he has to become an important part of Like there's gonna be a lot more pick and roll with John Morant on the court than there was last year, where it was like, can we run as fast as we can with Denny Avdue a straight at the rim? And I think if you're going to be having and I think if you have Lillard out there, like he's gonna need to have.
Speaker 4: Some space for his pull up threes, And I think we're just gonna.
Speaker 3: See Clinging doing a ton like a lot more in the offense in a way that maybe it doesn't result in like these all star box score numbers, but he's just going to become an essential part of what they're doing on both Like he's already essential on defense, he's gonna become a much more essential part of what they're doing on offense. Besides just like, hey, look a seven footer who sometimes shoots three pointers. I think we're gonna see a lot more clinging, even if it doesn't necessarily mean that he's putting up these gutty point totals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm it's more of a car crash theory with the Blazers. I'm morbidly curious to see what this team looks like next year. And I don't mean that as a shot at Donovan cling in the roster construction right now just doesn't make.
Speaker 3: A I wish they would make a trade with the Dallas Mavericks, who are nothing but power forwards and shooting guards and people in between, for one of these point.
Speaker 4: Guards, right.
Speaker 3: I don't care if it's Screwed. I don't care if it's Drew Holliday, I don't care if it's job or Lillard. Just like, trade one of those guys to to the Mavericks, and both these teams would be so much substantially better.
Speaker 4: We can do it.
Speaker 1: Let's make it happen.
Speaker 2: And look it's we're we're entering like the dead capslock dead portion of the NBA summer. So give us something to talk about with a nice little Blazer's Mavericks out right.
Speaker 4: The Blazers also sneakily have two guys.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of funny because I know that on this podcast, you guys have been uh dwop wreath fans for a long time, and so I think back, like, it's kind of funny that the Blazers now have like two stretch fives that are basically never gonna play that I feel like would fit half like half the league in Michaeh Potter and Bredon Brandon Carlson.
Speaker 2: So like what am I missing with Michael Potter that no other team thought like? This felt like greedy on the Blazers or was it a precursor to you know what, We're not gonna pay Donovan Klingen because of Tom Dundan, and we're just gonna be like Michael Pott is gonna be super cheap until the end of time.
Speaker 3: Over the Top paid a lot for Robert Williams too, and they have Young Hansom. They have so many centers on this team.
Speaker 2: I still still believer and he'll go down as maybe a summer league legend. But I'm still believe in Young Handsome too. I just don't know how you find the minutes. Let's see, do I want to go? I'll stay on the beaten path. Here a little bit for pick number four, Brendon Miller. I mean one, if you're a Hornets fan, you need him to go in this draft because I do think as much as people viewed the LaMelo trade as they are just getting out of the lamellow ball business, this really had to be a vote of confidence I think in Brendon Miller and also Continentipple. But I look at Brendon Miller, maybe he's front of mine because he's extension eligible and has you have to sign one. As we've recorded. This also very weird by the way, Mike Wemby being the only rookie extension we've gotten so far. This is atypical, right, Like normally we get more rookie extensions than this by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, teams are playing a little harder ball, I think than the rookies are used to, right, So I'm curious to see if this leads into like a resurgence and unrestricted free agency at some point, or if they are all just going to kind of settle in with unhappy restricted free agency numbers at some point.
Speaker 2: You might have covered some of this at Basketball Poetry recently, rumor hasn't it, So go check out basketball tiny bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah just a time bit, nice plug. Appreciate you. That's that's the sign of a pro right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been doing this for just a couple of years now, almost two weeks.
Speaker 1: I think so Bredon Miller.
Speaker 2: I do think that people probably underestimated, like how much of the offense has been funneled his way when he's healthy and on the floor. Even when LaMelo is there, that's question number one is is he going to stay healthy? If he can, what level can he get? Because as an on ball score I trust him as a jump shooter for the most part, it's getting to his spots from the mid range. I need to see the free throw attempt rate getting to the basket come up. He's routinely just ranked. I mean, he's never ranked higher, I think per CpG than the twenty first percentile in rim frequency. In theory, the hornets have a ton of spacing, but so that should make it easier for him to get there. But he's not getting a ton of unassisted looks at the rim in generals, that's something that's gonna come up. What happens when they rely on him to be more of a facilitator. I know people have been I don't want to say out but just kind of written off the defense. I think the defense for what he's going to need to do offensively, if he is what he is now, is going to be mostly fine for me. I just don't know what removing LaMelo from the equation does because the numbers with Continipple, Brandon Miller, Nolamela weren't flattering. But we also don't have the data on a Kobe White like or a ton of data on a Kobe White being there. I think my biggest concern with him is that Kobe White is not the same level or anywhere no one on the shrowster the same level of playmaking safety net that LaMelo was.
Speaker 1: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Defenses are going to react to Kobe White or even to know a little bit more marinated Conkinipple the same way that they were to LaMelo Ball. Brandon Miller is now that guy, and so what does he do with seeing more double teams, having to take more difficult shots? And so I think the big thing for him, I don't know if the room frequency is going to come up a ton again, the spacing environment, it might. I think if he's able to kind of draw a higher percentage of shooting files, that might be a key to unlocking more offensively for him. But just the on ball opportunity he's gonna have, which again I think was a little bit higher than people already than people realized that now kind of goes through the roof unless you really think that the Hornets are in a funnel so much of their offense to Kobe White continentple specifically, And I know a lot of people are high on I don't see it with Christian Anderson personally, but I'll leave that to the draft knicks who watched more of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I echo some of those same concerns.
Speaker 3: Like my frustration with Brandon Miller is entirely the lack of physicality he plays with on both sides. And I actually think he had a pretty good defensive year last year. And I don't know if this is because people thought he's gonna be a really good defender his rookie year, like that was supposed to be. One of the things about him was he was a two way player and then he was pretty bad as a rookie. But I think he bounced back pretty solidly.
Speaker 4: And that not that he's going to be making any all defensive teams anytime soon.
Speaker 3: But I think, like you said, like I think he was more than good enough for the role he carries on offense last year already, So I if he gets even better on that end, like I think we'll really have something there. But like, no, this is a nugget I've been sitting on like for twelve months, and I have not been able to find a way to work it into my writing. Nobody loses more fifty fifty balls than Brandon Miller, and that sounds cruel, And there's some explanation for it, like he had shoulder surgery, and I think part of it is like he's not trying to get in the mix and mess up his shoulder again. Like, but I have like multiple like I have several clips of him, like watching the ball bounce to him and then like retreating or standing still while someone else.
Speaker 4: Is diving on top of it.
Speaker 3: Like this man is not getting the fifty fifty balls and he just doesn't play quite with enough physicality to get to the rim like you were saying where he alway struggled.
Speaker 4: He can get bullied defensively.
Speaker 3: But like the jumper is real, like he can definitely do stuff with the ball. I think to your point, like there's not a ton of playmaking on this roster. There's not a lot of plus passers, but there is just so much spacing, Like the passing lane should be wide open.
Speaker 4: Guy should be able to get into the paint pretty easily.
Speaker 3: I don't know what this is going to look like because, like you, I'm also a big LaMelo ball guy. Like you, I looked at the clean the glass number for Brandon Miller. Brandon Miller playing without LaMelo ball was like a twelve percentile offensive. Right, And Kobe White's a good player, he's not a real point guard. So I am nervous about Brandon Miller. I also just think like he's already pretty good, Like I don't mean to say all these bad things about like he's already a good player, and how much better can he realistically be? He's already been a two time twenty point score. Like the jumper is getting better over time, he's not. But he's not really outside of the defense, which I think substantially improved. I haven't noticed that he's gotten a ton better at some of the things he's bad out on offense, right, I still think he's like an okay passer for the position. He still can't get to the rim still, like you know, isn't drying the free throws that you want him too.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if he's got it in him.
Speaker 3: But I that's more because I think he's already good and I already respect him, and I'm not sure that this is like the system that is going to lead to a massive explosion in Brandon Miller's stats or anything like that.
Speaker 2: To me, it almost feels like they need him to be a The scoring can maybe stay somewhat the same, but they kind of feels like they need him to be like a twenty four point four or five assist guy. If they're trying to spin this as we reoriented, we didn't start over because if you ask me right now, let's say they had to trade one of their core three players last year, you're probably just keeping Conn because of the link on his rookie deal, and you asked me whether it was LaMelo or Brandon Miller, I would have picked that.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 2: No, you need to trade Brandon Miller. I think is a like a rebuilding base or building block baseline. LaMelo is going to do more for you. To me, this, if it's not a bet on him and Conkk Nipple, I don't know, then it's really they just wanted to get out of little Mellow ball business, which is one of many ways to look at that trade this If he's not in most improved or All Star discussions for them mid season. I don't think that makes the Lamello trade of failure necessarily. But then it's well, now we need to trickle down and step back. What was the what was the thought what was the additional thought process behind this trade? They need him, they need us to come away thinking, Oh, this is someone who is going to hit an even higher percentage of self created looks. This is going to be someone who can get to four or five assist per game, play with more physicality, get to the rim, more, draw more shooting fouls. I think the just with the dynamics that he works with on ball, I feel like we could see him take more free throws. But this is I'm intrigued because I do still remain skeptical in the sense of is this close to the best that he'll be? Where is Oh, you could see him being like a top fifty, top sixty player in the NBA. But if he can't ratchet up to the I say, like top thirty level, this team has done the lots on the shoulders of Conk Nipple, and I guess, like Joanna Steinbach or like the an acquisition to be named later.
Speaker 3: Well, what if I said that, if you looked at all the hornets, This Brandon Miller wouldn't have been the first guy that I would have picked for a breakout. And I'm not kind of conton Kinipple, right like, obviously this guy almost won rookie the year he's.
Speaker 4: Oh, can I guess?
Speaker 1: Can I try and guess?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Is it Liam McNeely?
Speaker 4: Well, you know you say that?
Speaker 3: And he was there and eventually I cut him because that's two sickos only, I think, But I was thinking a different.
Speaker 2: Player, uh because diabate count has already broken out?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Who am I? Who am I missing on this team?
Speaker 1: Is this going to be.
Speaker 2: A you said it's not sick Oh?
Speaker 3: I do love Seon James, and I do think that he is gonna end up playing a lot more minutes than like people realize.
Speaker 4: Actually, but no, that Sion's never gonna be a guy.
Speaker 3: I don't think that comes out and is like scoring twenty points a game, right, Like that's just not really hit his DNA.
Speaker 2: Who I'm assuming it's not Ryan Kulchbrenner. Who who do we got?
Speaker 4: Who is it? How about nos Reed?
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I think that if you're looking at one guy and I'm leaving out Cohn because I do think everyone expects and hopes that cont takes a leap, which maybe that's hard, you know, easier said than done, given that he had such a great rookie year. But I think nas Reed's a guy who's coming in, you know, like a thirteen fourteen point score whatever it was last year, but he's a real bucket and he's taken over for Miles Bridges, who you know, was routinely an eighteen twenty point score. Like, I think the usage gap is going to be there for Noried to come in. And I think Nosried is a better offensive player than Miles Bridges. I think he's got an amazing face up game for a real power forward. I think he's you know, a much better shooter than Miles Bridges. He's not that athlete that Bridges was, and he's not gonna have Lamello feeding him the ball. Like there's a lot of guys who are, if not shoot first, like shoot equal to passing on this Hornets team. So maybe it's just that Read isn't going to get as many opportunities as I kind of think he is. But if we're just talking like Hornet lambs. I think Brandon Miller is probably going to be like a low twenty score again. But I wonder if I was Reid can't get up from thirteen to like the Miles Bridges eighteen points per game, Like, I could absolutely see that fornas Read because I just have so much faith in him as a score.
Speaker 2: Wait nots Reid only average thirteen points a game.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was fourteen, but it was it was not as many as as you might recall last year, right, thirteen point six, thirteen pointy six.
Speaker 2: Why do I just constantly remember him putting up like eighteen.
Speaker 3: Because he makes it look so good, like he's like a center sized dude with like a filthy handle, and it yeah free when he scores.
Speaker 1: I'm like a half decade ago.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many like people's radars he was on, But if you told me that he had the type of floor game where it looks like, oh, that's like a wing, like true wing handling the ball, I never would have been able to predict that, my.
Speaker 3: God, and Read is a true play finisher right like he is not once the ball gets to him, it's going up, you know, So I but like I'm taking a step back. I think that the fun part about the Hornets if you are an optimist about the LaMelo ball move, which I'm not really, but I see the upside here. The fun part is they have so many outs because Brandon Miller could make a big leap, Like I don't necessarily see it, but you do, and like I absolutely think it could happen. Kank Nipple could make a huge leap. Maybe Kobe White could make a leap. Like he's not like an old guy, He's somebody who's been looking for an opportunity with the most talented running cast.
Speaker 2: He's one of those guys I think playing for the Bulls anecdotally ages you, and so it feels like he's been around forever.
Speaker 3: Well it literally ages you if you're in the Tom Dibbodeaux era, right, like what happened to port like all those guys? Uh but yeah, so, Like I just think the Hornets are so fun and exciting because they do have so many guys that you can talk yourself into taking the next big leap.
Speaker 4: And some of those guys are gonna hit. They're not.
Speaker 3: They won't all they can't all right, they can't all turn into twenty point scores, but somebody will maybe too, Someone's will and that's gonna be like really exciting. Like I'm bias because I am based out of Carolina, North Carolina. So like last year and I listen, I live in the Triangle. Last year was the first time in my six years living here that I've seen a single piece of Hornets like gear walking around town.
Speaker 4: It was just not a factor.
Speaker 3: And now they were so like they had such a cool run last year if I've got really excited, obviously flamed out and people are mad about the ball trade, but the Duke connection between Conk Nipple and Syon James being there, and I think one of the plum leaves was there last year briefly, Like people are excited about that and just like there's at least a little buzz no pun intended around the Hornets this year, and I'm hoping that can carry through.
Speaker 2: They're they're just another I'm fascinated by every team, but they're not for the amount of people that think they're either still going to be good or might be better off without LaMelo Ball, I think just inherently makes them fat. I don't think internally they think they're going to be better or how the type of run that they did last year. I think they made the trade knowing it was going to be a step back, but yeah they have. For for a while it was a oh if they're healthy. They just have so many dudes, And now it's the same thing, except like the level of dudes that they have because Conkinipple's there, Nasried is there, Moussa Yabade, this is the version of him you have. It's higher level dudes now, and so yeah, this team should be fun to watch. Who'd you want to take with we're moving at a banner pace? Yeah? Who do you want to take with your number? This is a fifth pick overall? Your your third pick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, feel free to cut me off, because I do go off tangents. I You know, one of the nice thing about writing is that you can basically write as much as you want and no one's there to tell you.
Speaker 4: No, we have time, like I have to go and do whatever.
Speaker 1: What do you find easier writing or podcasting? Because we both do both?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well writing is more time intensive just because like for me at least, like it takes me so long to edit, Like I am so bad.
Speaker 4: I have such sloppy copy. This is like, oh, really personal problem is my first drafts are rough and I need to go back through and fix it. And that's what takes me forever. Getting the first words down are fine.
Speaker 3: But then like I just like never had the formal training to like have this like really pristine copy when you write.
Speaker 4: That saves you so much time.
Speaker 3: That's what the pros need, right, Like, if you're someone out there working for a newspaper or on deadline, you need you how to get down with no typos, with no like you know, reward. You need to get that downe fast. And it's such a skill, a nice skill to have, and I don't have that. I'm meandering. My stuff goes off in weird directions. I have to be like, okay, let's rein it back in. I have typos everywhere. It's a disaster.
Speaker 2: I think I might enjoy writing more, But podcasting is way easier to me where it's like if you had like a yeah podcast, because there's just less structure to it and so you can meandering is part of the point. These tangents are part of the point. Yeah, in podcasting. If I put that in my writing, I'm gonna get an email from somebody because they're like, why did you spend two hundred fifty words talking about nothing that has to do with Brandon Miller and the Charlotte Hornets on this Brandon Miller and the Charlotte Hornets blurb, I.
Speaker 3: Would just get a comment being like I need a TLDR. I'm not reading all this. I love those comments with my favor when I when I write, you know, three thousand words, we're like this is too long, and I'm like, yeah, I wasn't really meant for you then, Bud, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that people feel compelled to chime in though and say that, but because I just don't understand the point.
Speaker 4: But all right, let's see here.
Speaker 3: I've got a long list, and actually none of your guys were on like my my short list, which is which is fun.
Speaker 4: But I think let's talk, you know it, let's do it. Let's I was kind of hoping you would say this guy's name just so I wouldn't have to do it first. But let's talk about Yegor Joemen. Oh, yes, which.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was my next pick. This is our first this is the first one where it's oh, I was going to.
Speaker 1: Take him nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I all right, listen, I don't do any like you do. A little college stuff and a little bit of scouting and stuff. I don't do any of that, right Like my my entire life is based around the NBA, which makes me just like I told you before, I have no fun to talk to a parties, So I don't know who any of the guys are until they come into the league proper and to all like the draft knicks and the you know, the armchair scouts out there who are writing up stuff about Joeman. I just want to say thanks for nothing, guys. This guy was nothing like he was supposed to be. I was picturing Josh Gutty pire like he's tall, he can handle, He's this amazing passer. The shot, we don't really think it's gonna be any good, So I'm picturing like, you know, European Josh Giddy, and instead I get like a Dante Evincenzo or somebody you know.
Speaker 4: This guy comes in.
Speaker 3: He seventy percent of his shots came from three and he hit thirty nine percent of them. This is one of the greatest rookie shooting seasons we've ever seen, combining accuracy and.
Speaker 1: Volume was a strong suit, though Mike shooting wasn't.
Speaker 3: A strong suit, but passing was. Except he couldn't pass anybody because he was so slow. He could never get into the paint. The reason he shot so many threes is because he was physically incapable of making a layup or getting two feet into the paint and passing out to somebody. So like, as far as I know, the passing is like a unicorn, I've never seen it. He gets like three assists from swinging the ball around on the outside of the perimeter and then someone will make a shot. But he is on here because he had a pretty fun summer league. He just looked different. He had like a much more you know, like NBA ready body. He looked way more explosive. It very clearly he knew what he had to do, which is like I need to find a way to bully my way into paint. Like he's never gonna be the fastest guy out there, but he did look noticeably faster. So like, even though I don't think that, you know, Joeman's gonna be coming in, He's not gonna be living at the rim, He's not gonna be throwing down windmill dunks or anything. But I do think it's interesting that he had uh man, I wrote this up in my in one of my articles, and I'm blanking on the exact number, but.
Speaker 4: I think he had like two dunks all of last year or something crazy, and I watched one game where he had three.
Speaker 3: Okay, Like he's definitely going to be Okay, he had four dunks all of last season in the NBA, and he played like, you know, thirteen hundred minutes he had he had two and one or three and one game that I watched in summer League. Like, I think he is like aware of what his shortcomings were. He has these strengths that nobody expected.
Speaker 4: And if you can if.
Speaker 3: You're you know, big and can shoot, there was always going to be a place for you. And if you can figure out a way to leverage the passing, which I assume exists by actually like bending the defense a little bit, then I think there's gonna like there's nobody else in Brooklyn who's gonna be really like, you know, taking his usage. Like yeah, Julius Randalls there, Michael Porter Junior's there. We'll see if either of them like last through the season. And either way, like that's still only two guys. Like, I think that there's a lot of room for a gentleman to like takeing the larger usage burden and hopefully show more of what had people so excited about him in the first place, combined with this new thing that.
Speaker 4: Has people like me excited. So I'm really pump for Joan.
Speaker 2: I do you think he did I'm not sure how much have you caught him, cause I know you were at sumer League. Do you think he did a better job of bending the defense while he was at Summer League?
Speaker 4: I like, I only saw it.
Speaker 3: I only watched one and a half of his games, but it was like noticeably different, and the quality of competitions so much worse, and the offensive structure so much worse. Like, I think both those things should be noted that like it's a sloppier brand of basketball. It doesn't always translate, but like the physical improvements are noticeable.
Speaker 2: Right, It did not feel as if he was Sometimes felt like he was moving when he had the ball last year, which by the way, was way less than I thought he was going to have the ball last year. It felt like he was moving with cinder blocks for shoes. Yeah, sometimes it did not look that way in Summer League. And the other thing that really stood out, Now this isn't historically necessarily like the best translatable stat but I'm willing to throw it out the window because he's technically a sophomore actually getting to the foul line four point nine free throw attempts for thirty six minutes in summer league after what was at one point eight as a rookie, and I think when he was in Summer League as a rookie, it was zero point nine or something for thirty six minutes in the summer league. So if he's able to like add that to and I do think there's gonna be a better passer. He has better targets now too, Like so MPJ is there. I really do like Mikeel Brown junior. Those two I think are pretty intuitive. Away from the ball you kind of I was still gonna pick him. My only hesitance was is, well, how much of the offensive share does Julius rand will just eat up? And it forces jaeg or Joman not to be bad, but to kind of be the player that he was last year. I don't think Jordi Fernandez will do that. I think he will be given the time and space to explore on offense, and I'm really excited about what some of their lineups can do when you're looking at if they play MIKEL Brown junior, Michael Borter junior, and Yegor Joeman together a ton because I think that there's just a lot of fun things that that they could try, especially in the half court. And so this is I not that I'm unhappy he had a good Summer League, but I was people were sitting there, they reduced the nets this draft down to oh, they drafted five point guards, which it was always just an over like I don't know what Danny Wolf was supposed to be, but it definitely wasn't a point guard. But I was still a believer in Yegorgonuman by the end of last year, and so it's now it's now it's like cool and trendy. Uh, you clearly believe in them, but like now it's the cool and trendy to pick him as a breakout. He would have been I think a Deeper Cup candidate if Summer League never happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know he was.
Speaker 3: He was actually a second team All rookie for me, because there is no sixty five game rule for all rookie teams, and he only played like fifty two last year and he still made the last spout of my all rookie team. So I've just like always been a fan of Like, if you're big, like I said, if you're a biguy who can shoot, you're always gonna have some kind of value. I think defensively, he's not a total disaster despite how solowly is, because he's go pretty good instincts.
Speaker 4: So like, I just yeah, I just think that like he's going to be.
Speaker 3: He is primed to have a much stronger second year than we saw. Literally, so I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: This pick everyone I think knew was coming. We had some early commenters pointed out in the chat that they knew it was coming as well, Reed Shepherd of the Houston Rockets.
Speaker 1: Now this is this is the one I was referencing at the top.
Speaker 2: One says he needs to be undeniable because imy Udoka I didn't think trust even though he played a boatload more last year. Imy Yuka clearly didn't trust him with the ball in his hands when it mattered most. Now you look at the end of that was that Game three against the Lakers, and you can understand why the man I trust.
Speaker 1: Him with the ball.
Speaker 2: It's only gonna get harder for him to break out, which is why I'm so interested in him. Fred van Vliet is healthy. And then this team signed Marcus Smart for some reason. Who if you think you needed a reserve ball handler, Marcus Smart really isn't the guy, like when you look at how much he can still turn the ball over when he gets going downhill, or if you want him to run a pick and roll up. I found that signing. If I if I had Reed Shepherd's stock and was ever inclined to sell it, which I will never, that might have been the move that made me sell it, because it's I don't think I'm wondering internally how highly they view of him. With that said, he looks he looks way smaller on the court than he's listed. But my key is, I know it's accounting stat but here's everyone who through their first two seasons of basketball and mind Reed Sheepherd did not play a ton as a rookie, made as many threes, had as many blocks, and had as many steals as Reed Shepherd. Tyre's Halliburton Anthony Edwards. That is the end of the list, and so I think his defensive playmaking. My point here is like, yeah, he's gonna get picked on on defense, but he will also come up with these blocks. He will come up with these steels in passing lanes or even some of the pickpockets. That's valuable, and for a team, even more valuable. What I think can make him undeniable is the shot making. He doesn't need to be on the ball to pull defenders out of the paint. And I do think that there's more to plum with him on the ball where he's not the most physical ball handler. But I need to see it more because this is someone who's in between game. I know what the numbers are going to say, but I'm going to trust it, and I think that he's going to be able to hit off the dribble threes. I am not. I think I am there. This is more like a free read Shepherd segment. I think because I'm increasingly of the belief that it won't happen with the Rockets, But I still believe that the player coming into the draft that I thought was there and he was number he ended up being number one on my big board. This is couch swift. Would you like to know who was number two on my big board? That Cody Williams.
Speaker 4: Cody Williams guy.
Speaker 2: So some might say I was too much of a Cody Williams guy.
Speaker 4: Impossible.
Speaker 2: So this is if you if you forced me to make a prediction. Do I think that this is we look back? Is like this is the Reed Shepherd breakout year. I'm gonna be inclined to say no because I don't love the ecosystem. For it's not even I don't love the ecosystem. I don't know the organization has the same trust in him or belief in him that I do. Because I think that he could if you said here you're starting, or here's thirty minutes a game, you're going to be a primary ball handler. I actually think Houston's offense would be better off than if they're gonna do the you know, we have Katie, Yeah, sure, but we're gonna run through Shannghud, have Thompson on the ball, so we need to then also Fred van Fleet and Marcus Mart's gonna have to play. I fear he's gonna get lost in the shuffle. And I still think he's too good for us to be having that discussion, and it bugs me that I'm I'm the one who's having it with himself at this at this very moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think you just touched upon the crux of it a little bit, right, like is he ever going to be able to be the point guard? And let's remove the Emu Dooka like rocketsness of it all, because I do think the one problem that I had and one of the things I was super disappointed about him is like the lack of a first step and frankly, the lack of a handle. Like you pressure him in the back court, you're gonna get a turnover as often as not. And like you know, I don't want to point to like the playoffs and like some of his disaster some moments there, but he had he did not look good under the spotlights.
Speaker 4: And you know, he's a second year player.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's any as somebody who frankly, if I was him, like I'd be crying every night because my coach hates me so much, you know, Like that's that has to take a mental toll on you. And I still have a lot of faith in him long term as a player. I don't know if he's just ever gonna be able to be a point guard if he can't like navigate a picking, and like the shooting is such a weapon, maybe he can just generate it that way. But he's just so slow and he is such a weak handle right now. I don't know that he can get around a pick and into the paint and start to like, you know, pass. He might end up just having to be like almost like an off ball like floor spacer, like more of a shooting guard who maybe brings the ball up to half court, pass it off and then stands on the wing if he needs for him to make a leap, he needs to show up and look quicker, whether that's physically or that's with a tighter handle that will let him compromise the defense in some way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he never gets to the rim, you.
Speaker 2: Know, no one. I don't know does Houston have enough shooting even say that, But there is a lot less that's part of it. On ball jiggle and joggle, I would call it. And I thought he was going to have at this level.
Speaker 4: And not a lot of joggle, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Even with that, though, still turn the ball over on a smaller share of his possessions in the pick and roll thing Kevin Duran or onm and Thompson, and so that is still I do I think he's ever going to be a floor general? No, probably not, but like on the level of like do you consider I don't want to compare them to these players, but do you consider a Steph Curry or a Kyrie Irving a floor general?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think Steph is the right guy to look at a little bit, right because Steph is somebody who is still frankly more athletic I think than Read Shepherd in terms of like on maall juice, right, but like the way he basically opens space for himself is like you have to respect me every second half of the ball because you just never know what I'm gonna launch. And Read got so much better at that last year, Like even like he just the sheer volume of threes he was able to get up from very deep I think was hugely encouraging. That's the key for him, right, Like can you shoot from thirty feet consistently? Will you shoot consistently from thirty feet because then you can kind of ameliorate some of these other physical weaknesses that he has, so I think Steph's the right path forward for him, even acknowledging He's never going to be Steph.
Speaker 4: That's not what I'm saying, but like that is what you have to do, I think.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, I just like the read stuff is so funny, man, because like he obviously had a good college season. I don't really fall college, like I said, and then sometime between the end of the college season and the draft, people are like, this guy is going to be, like undeniably one of the best offensive players in the game, and we just haven't seen it. And I do think to your point, I would just love to see him outside of Houston.
Speaker 4: He may doesn't want him.
Speaker 3: I think Fred Van Vliet and Marcus Smart, like you said, are gonna be ahead of him. Maybe he just ends up playing more too, because I think they just need his shootings so bad, and maybe he just doesn't end up being a point guard.
Speaker 2: I was hoping if there was gonna be a Jalen Brown trade that what didn't involve Giannis. I was hoping for some sort of like Jabbari Read for Jalen Brown construction to get those two in Boston, because Jabari Smith Junior is another guy who I think just has I think he's underrated now and I think he has more to show. But yeah, I want Read Shepherd. I want Read Shepherd off the rockets at this point. If if the opportunity is not going to be either, I want him on another game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I do not. I do not share your optimism around Jabari. But one thing about Read I think too is like that will be interesting with him with Van Vliet or him next to Smart. Is like, it'd be nice if he could just guard the worst defender and spend his entire time on the court gambling. And that's kind of what he does now, right, but I think it would be easier. I think they are better set up for that because he is just so good with his hands. He's amazing at generating all these deflections and turnovers and blocks and seals and stuff, and just putting him in the eCos like that is one thing I think May has, maybe over one of the several things he's over penalized for him, is like, yeah, we'll get cooked one on one by basically anybody, but better defensive ecosystems won't let that happen as much, you know. And then they'll play to his strengths a little bit more, because I do think it's some of his stuff is spectacular. The timing attacking guys when they spin is like amazing. So yeah, I don't know. I don't have much else to say about read, but I think it is very much a like will his coach let him succeed and will he have like the confidence to attack those opportunities, because I do think that's been a huge issue for him.
Speaker 4: Understandable, we're pick.
Speaker 2: Number seven, it's all you, who are you take him?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about you know what, Let's just let's just get a little more in the weeds. I've really I've waited a long time. I've been I've been patient. I want to talk about Ordan Miller a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was curious. You warned that you might pick a Clipper. I was curious which Clipper was going to get the not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really had two guys I was looking at. Both resigned this offseason by the Clippers. Both guys I have a soft spot in my heart for with Jordan Miller and Kobe Sanders. And Kobe Sanders real cool player, like slick passer, a quick decision maker. You know, sort of like Nick Botomi doesn't do it the same way, but like the way that Nick Botoos is like very heady player who seems to like make the most of the stuff that doesn't get, you know, the glory. I think that's kind of like what Kobe Sanders could be. But Jordan Miller is sort of the opposite, where Jordan Miller is Like, if you guys haven't watched a lot of Jordan Miller, I do recommend you go and look at his highlight reel. We're just gonna be like, good God, who is this guy? Like when he scores, it looks so cool. He's just a steam engine going to the to the rack. But it's not because he's super strong, and it's not because he's super fast. It's not like, uh, like Benig Matherin. Actually, I think the vin diagram of their outcomes is very similar, but they do it so differently. Where Matherin's just like all shoulder and muscle and Miller is like the shiftiest handle, does all these crazy things with the ball, amazing footwork, and he lives at the rim, draws a ton of fouls.
Speaker 4: He drew more.
Speaker 3: Fouls like his foul right drawn was higher than Austin Reeves last year. Like he's just amazing at it, and uh yeah, he gets a little television ing. I think he's a pretty good defender when he wants to be. He just needs to be locked in a little bit more great offensive rebounder.
Speaker 4: But like I love guys. I love guards or wings who can get to the rim over and over again.
Speaker 3: Like I think those are the most exciting plays in basketball, are dribble drives at the rim, Right that's where you have the aerial combat. That's where you have the fun finishes and the blocks and the dunks and everything cool. But so this guy shots seventy one percent of the rim. The three pointer was okay, but the volume is too low to be reliable right now. I think that's his next step if if Miller comes out and he's able to look a little more confident from beyond the arc, and he retains all the stuff that keeps him special. Like I just think that, like the Clippers are gonna need some downhill pressure. It can't only be like, you know, Ben Matheren basically is the main guy for that right now.
Speaker 4: Who knows if he's if he's even on the yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like I think Jordan Miller has a potential opportunity to like come in and just like take like the battering ram roll and like let's just get into the paint and get to the rack over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: It's just a lot of fun to watch him play.
Speaker 2: Where do you land on? What was he at thirty four and a half percent on three last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was like three and a half for thirty six, So like that that has to get better. I think it will get better. His SHOT's kind of weird, it's kind of slow, but those are things that.
Speaker 4: Like mechanically can be fixed.
Speaker 3: He's not like broken, you know, and I think that, uh for a youngish guy. He's not super young, but he's young enough that he can still improve there. I mean, hey, we're talking about a two time Summer League first teamer, okay, All Summer League first Team Jordan Miller. So let's put some respect on his name, you know, like he's he's he's got the accolades that people are looking for. Oh and also he really needs to improve his right hand. I would say that's the other thing he can get better. He's so lefty dominant, but I think he's really fun to watch, and I just like guys who are just like you know, like rim guided missiles are are fun to watch.
Speaker 2: So the one thing I'll say is as a lefty, there's no such thing as too lefty dominant.
Speaker 1: Just want to put that out on the record.
Speaker 2: But I would almost want to see, like put in it what they're projected starting fun Let's assume the Qua trade goes through and Mather in his back.
Speaker 1: They're projected starting five.
Speaker 2: Would be what garland Ingram Hotchi Mora Lopez? Does that sound right? As the four? Like penciling in locks?
Speaker 4: Uh? And you said Woggler, right, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say Woggler, but I'm curious. I I kind of almost would love to see can we put Miller in there instead of I love Woggler too much? Can we put Miller in there instead of more? Because that would be the type of lineup where feels like he could technically thrive because you have spacing, yeah, basically every position. Then, I mean, insofar as brand Ingram is a space is.
Speaker 3: The argument against the Jordan Miller breakout right, It's like they kind of have a lot of combo ish guards or like two threes, you know, like they've got Woggler, they got probably been Mather, and they still have Chris Dunn, who plays an important role on this team. They might have Brandon Ingram, who I think is not going to be as clean of a fit for Miller and Kobe Sanders frankly plays kind of a similar role. Grady that could play a similar role if he comes over. So like, I do think that, like the issue is like there's just a lot of guys who are all like.
Speaker 4: Kind of at the same level ish, you know where like the minutes could be hard to fine.
Speaker 3: But Miller's like my favorit guy to watch out of all those guys. So, you know, barring whatever we see from Keaton, like I said, I have no opinion on him yet, so uh but I just like him.
Speaker 2: That's right, you have, you have a comment. We need to get to uh off to soccer. But make sure you guys spend forty five minutes on hardcore. Mike, big fan, Dan, You're okay.
Speaker 4: To thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On an unrelated note, we're looking for a new co host hardware Ox, So if anyone wants to apply, you can our emails in our in our bio. Grant has been like, I don't have that power.
Speaker 1: But Grant has been let go for calling me just okay my next pick. I don't want to go into the weeds yet. I guess for some.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with. I have two wizards on my list. I guess I technically have three, but I have I'm gonna go with the wizard I'm most confident in. Yes, probably probably would have had a breakout year already had he never gotten injured, could have been qualified. But Keishan George last year was cut short for him with his injury.
Speaker 1: I think the on.
Speaker 2: Ball opportunity he got better not be there. Just when you're looking at who is on this team, Alex Are, Anthony Davis AJ DEMANTSA. This team needs.
Speaker 1: Shooting. It needs shooting like that spacing.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna play Sarr and Anthony Davis together, or even if it's sar and eight and it seems like they're gonna play more duel big, you need shooting, especially if you're still gonna play a bunch of block pool bati. I don't know how to feel about Keishon George defensively just yet, other than Will Riley was another candidate for me, and I feel better about Keishawn George's defense than I do Will Riley's defense.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: When you're looking at the players who ranked in the same percentile of catch and shoot three point efficiency last year as well as matchup difficulty on the defensive end, you only get five other guys who played as many minutes as Keishon George, Niki, Alexander Walker, Max Christy, Peyton Watson, Jade McDaniels. We just talked about him and another player who it's on my list. I'm sure I'm going to take him a Jahen Tyson they need. I think his role on offense piling needs become a little bit more streamlined. But he quietly shot thirty five percent on off the dribble threes last year. I think this is someone who doesn't need to have the ball in his hands though, for that three point stroke to translate into take it in high volume. And so if I'm looking at someone who we look back and say, oh, he held up his own defensively, and he kind of fell into those like sixteen plus points per game, shooting thirty seven thirty eight percent from three on good volume while Also maybe he's still picking up three or four assists a game because he's moving the ball quickly, being more of a connector guy than they had him, running a lot more stuff. So, by the way, if Trey Young's not on this team, I'm probably still picking kish On George. I'm probably more in Bolden to pick him. That's my wizard's pick, though. I don't know if I landed on the right wizard though, because they have a few candidates.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I always have a weird obsession with the Wizards. I think they always have just like fun guys, they most of them end up not being good. I think Kishon George is the exception. Are you a fan of Hitchecker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dan, I have.
Speaker 2: Never seen it already.
Speaker 3: I'd say started as a book. Everyone should read it. Douglas Adams seminal science fiction book.
Speaker 4: Hilarious.
Speaker 3: But there is a whole bit in in the book in the series really about how the most useful item in the universe is a towel. All right, because you're gonna towe to keep yourself warm, you use as clothes. In a pinch, you can put dip it in water and roll it up and use it as a handheld weapon. There's basically nothing you can't do with a towel. And I had a whole article early last year comparing Keishan George to a towel.
Speaker 4: There's like, there's like nothing this guy can't do.
Speaker 3: And I didn't have him on my list because I think his ideal role and you alluded to this is like compressed into a smaller role. Like all his winning qualities, of which are abundant, I think compressed it into a smaller role. He's going to be next to Trey and Anthony Davis and Dabantsa and you know, all sorts of guys, and I think, like to your point, he's not going to have that same on ball responsibility. I think he's an amazing passer. He's a little over aggressive. I think he's got great vision. Sometimes he tries passes he can't. He had a terrible turnover rate when he was the primary point guard.
Speaker 2: I love that though. I like it. I like it when you throw passes you shouldn't and in your first like two or three years in the league, I'm like, hashtag try stuff that. Then when we get like year four and year five is when I'll start being concerned about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he's he's a he's a great passer, he's a great as you allude to, he's a great catch and shoot uh finisher in that regard. He dramatically improved in the second year in terms of just like his array of finishing at the rim. So it's not just that like his percentage went up, which you did. It was like he was doing things he never could have even tried his rookie year, which I find very encouraging. And I think he's a really good defender.
Speaker 4: Like I think he's.
Speaker 3: Very good on ball and off ball, and he's that nice little flex where like he can guard a huge range of positions and be totally fine. So I think he's just so well rounded. He's such a jack of all trades. If this was a guy that was on like the Celtics or you know, or a really good team, we'd be talking about him. Is like maybe a poor man's Derek White. Like I think that's like kind of like his ceiling as a role player. But I do think his best ceiling is as a role player, and he was a little more than that last year, which is probably a little bit more than we want, which is why I didn't really have him as a breakout candidate. But I am happy to wax about, you know, keishon George for as long as you want me to, because I just think he's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I worry too, like, are there going to be able to be any more levels to his offensive game now with the way the Wizards are So if you mentioned the finishing at the rim and it wasn't like he took I think he had one point five shots at the rim in the half court last year per game. I can't imagine that number is gonna go up with the spacing that they're worked with, maybe having Trey Young there.
Speaker 3: He did at last year either a little to be fair, right, and he was the primary initiator so many times. A lot of that was like self created shots at the rim. So it'll be interesting to see him be more of a cutter again.
Speaker 2: Yeah that too, but yeah, that was that might be wishing. Did I pick the right wizard though, is a question of them.
Speaker 3: I had a different guy on my listen, it wasn't any of the people you talked about. I thought about Will Riley. I just think there's gonna be not enough chance for him to get there. They're gonna kind of have a lot of guys who are offense oriented, you know. But I'm just like fascinated to see year three of Alex Sar. I'm not really predicting a breakout because I think having Anthony Davis in the way, and I think they have a lot of overlapping qualities is going to hold him back. But I also don't think any Davis is going.
Speaker 4: To be there all year.
Speaker 3: Either he's gonna get hurt, or he's gonna get traded, or he's gonna be grumpy because he didn't get the mask extension he wanted or whatever. Even though given what they just give a trade young, he probably will get that.
Speaker 4: So what do I know. But like, assuming that they move on.
Speaker 3: From uh, just ignore my role of painters tape I'm playing with here to fiddle with, But just assuming that they move on from Andy Davis at some point, for one reason or another, people really slept on Alex Sarr last year. Like this is a guy who had such pronounced strengths and weaknesses as a rookie. I think, you know, he was so heavily criticized for folding like an iron every time anyone got near him, right, like he would just flop to the floor all the time.
Speaker 4: And he's still.
Speaker 3: Hardly like the stoutest dude, but he got so much better in that regard. Like I just think that, like he's so much stronger than he was, and I anticipated him being stronger again. In year three. You know, he was became a much better two point shooter. The three pointer he actually dialed back a little bit in a good way. I think, like he's not quite a good enough shooter yet where like that's a true weapon, but I think it can be. So I I he's becoming, you know, an elite shot blocker, one of the best in the league. He became much better rebounding and become much better boxer outer, so not just in getting the rebounds, but like in physically like putting his ass into guys and moving them out of the way. I think, again, not his strength per se, but it was a huge glaring weakness and now it's not.
Speaker 4: Now it's just like a thing he can do, which I appreciate. So he needs to keep improving.
Speaker 3: He already was scoring like sixteen points a game last year, which is like pretty high on a team that's gonna have a lot of scores. Like maybe he can't go that much higher from that with the ad there, But I just like Sar, I'm always intrigued by guys who take dramatic year one to year two leaps, and I want to see I want to see what the future holds for him in the Wizards. Like I think this Anthony Davis thing is, like I was so excited about the Wizards last year, man, I like, I really love the way they're going. I even defended the Tray Young and the Anthony Davis moves, and I'm like, oh, great Bridge Stars, you know, like keep them for a year maybe two, and they're gonna be so helpful to guide in the next era of like great Wizards of basketball.
Speaker 2: And it's nothing base well yet until the contract for Trailer cost basically now.
Speaker 4: Like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Are we back in bad Wizards management again? Given this horrible contract to Trail And I'm a huge Trey Young believer, like I probably top ten percent of in that regard, and I'm still like, that's one of the worst contracts in the league.
Speaker 4: Like, immediately, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yes, what's I think if you were gonna defend it. Anthony Davis needs to not be on the roster because you could argue, well, look he look at what he can do for Alex. Who is Alex ar played alongside? Is gonna be able to get him the ball inside the arc the way that Trey Young can? The answer is no, one's come even remotely close to being that guy. And but no, now Anthony Davis is here, so like, is Alex are gonna have to be strictly a spacer? That's what I worry about Len too. And then the other thing as well is just I don't know why Chris Middleton is necessarily on this I must say like that, but like the just the weird peppering of these vets whose timelines run counter it's is, is Chris Middleton gonna be taking away from Keshaw Georgia will Riley's minutes?
Speaker 1: Is that something we're gonna be job?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, no, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 3: I don't really I was so excited about this team six months ago and five months ago, and now I'm just like a lot my my enthusiasm has tempered significantly and uh, we'll see. But and like the debans of it all is really the number. Davis is probably the number one question. Devance is number two, right, Like how much of a usage burden can he shoulder effectively right off the back?
Speaker 4: Because the Wizards are not going to be like trying to lose.
Speaker 3: They're not They're not okay losing is what I should say now, Like there are real expectations for this team to get out there and at least compete for like, you know, a seven cy or whatever, and I think they can do it, but they need a lot to go right. And frankly, for talking about the Lizards, not a lot has gone right for these guys in the past.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're at this is I've miscounted for This is pick number ten in the draft. So all right, fifth overall pick? I believe who would you like to select?
Speaker 4: Right finish by tomorrow? So that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see here do we want to talk about?
Speaker 4: You already mentioned him? So why don't we talk about Jalen Tyson?
Speaker 2: Oh he's on your I don't know if I was gonna pick him, but he was.
Speaker 1: He was obviously on my list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you got the graphic pulled up for it and everything. So I love that you're You're very snappy with these. I'm impressed with the production here on the on the fly because we did not coordinate these ahead of time.
Speaker 4: Everybody watching and listening.
Speaker 2: So oh, I know, I appreciate you saying con words because, as you see, my co host just throws mediocre platitudes at me and it's.
Speaker 4: Good for me.
Speaker 1: You go, So you're welcome back anytime, Mike Nice.
Speaker 4: Nice, Yeah, I know how to flatter my audience here.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, So, like, first off, I don't understand what's going on with the Mario Hiszonia stuff where like they signed them. Maybe it's all subterfuge, so you could have a contract and go back to Europe, but the NBA is like you better not do that, but the contract's non guaranteed on until November fifte.
Speaker 2: I still don't understand what the benefit of that would be for the Calves doing his agent a solid.
Speaker 3: I think that's all it was, was like, yeah, they're just doing somebody a favor, and like who knows. May Mario Hozzonia goes in there and like, looks, Banana's good and they all want to keep them for longer because like but yeah, I don't know. I I the NBA came out pretty strongly against this, and so now it seems like maybe he will stick around for the year.
Speaker 4: But I'll believe it when I see it.
Speaker 3: This also feels fake to me, So the Jalen Tyson thing, like how many people you know? Obviously everybody watching them, this is like an NBA sicko and knows everything. So but like, how many you know, casual fans know that Jalen Tyson averaged fifteen points per game as a starter last year, Probably not that many. Like he was legitimately very useful on both ends, shut made He didn't shoot a ton of threes, but they didn't shoot a zero amount and made forty five percent of them. He's an amazing offensive rebounder. He's kind of a little chaotic defensively in a way I think is good for the Cavs, although not in the playoffs. Kenny Akinson benched him so quick, and I think that's part of my problem here is, like, you know, he went from a huge part, an important part of the rotation, started half the games for the team last year, and then like Strus came back and it took like one mediocre playoff game and Kennygkins is like, all right, back to the bench with the Tyson. But hey, he's another year older, another year more mature. Carden's another year older. I don't know that movie has like a huge offensive leap in him. I kind of think that there's room here for Tyson, like come in, spread his wings. He'll have to beat out like you know, Strus or whatever whoever else is out there, but I think like there's room for him to come in and be like, hey, this is my spot.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take it.
Speaker 3: And if he does, I think there's absolutely Like he scored fifteen a game last year, he should be better this year in theory, just given the agent curve, right, so like I think he could be a real player. That we're talking about is like, hey, the Calves fifth player is no longer a weakness. That's what I think would be the dream outcome for the Calves and for Tyson. Right is like they're like, hey, this is we have a rock solid starting five where every player in a vacuum and you can talk about the fit, but every player in a vacuum is like at least you know, average to above average for their position, and that's I think that is absolutely within the realm of possibility.
Speaker 2: Great pick. He's I also think he's kind of a sneaky offensive rebounder, which would be great for them to have ye at those winging spots. My concern, in addition to everything you outlaid, the links to Jonathan Kaminga make me wildly uncomfortable because if this team ends up with Jonathan Kmeninga, I just assume he's going to be ahead of Tyson in the rotation, which to me is a mistake because Mike my question, if I would have picked him, this would have been my justification for his breakout. Who is the best wing defender on this team? And if the answer is Evan Mobley, let it be the non Evan Mobley division.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be Tyson.
Speaker 2: I like it he would be the other candidate. I just don't like you look at the rosters, so they need.
Speaker 4: It'd be Isaacakorro from two years ago?
Speaker 2: Right? Can they get him back from the bulls or what are we talking about? Is Nikwon Tomlin? Is he gonna be a candidate here? So?
Speaker 4: He kind of a fun summer league though, keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: Uh, I they need. I hope he gets the opportunity necessary to like actualize a breakout. I think his role, of course offensively always need to be boxed in. But like you said, the three point percentage was high enough, and he is I don't I don't know what the book on him was coming out of college, but defensively he's totally impressed me, like he's been a little bit. Is he listed at six to six, and it feels like he defends a little bit bigger than that. And also just he does have because they do need. I mean, I love Malik Thomas, though he's not I'm not gonna pick a rookie, but like watching Malik Thomas take like the most secuitest possible routes to the basket in Summer League was like one of my favorite like film watches. They need kind of another ball handler because I don't I'm not a Denis Shuder guy. John Tyson has some of that. I don't know if he could jump start the off, but I'd be interested to see him with some more on ball reps.
Speaker 1: I don't think would be available.
Speaker 2: On this team, but if he's gonna hit threes and defend his ass, off I have like, right now, I get would he start for them?
Speaker 1: Because I who I know?
Speaker 2: Struce is there, I like Strews, I like Sam Merrill, and Meryll probably fights harder on defense, and people give him credit for Strews has good stocks. I'd say, yeah, yeah, but I'd like, I don't know, I'd prefer for what the Cavs is starting lineup already has. I guess the higher volume from three for Merril and Struce around guys like Mitchell and Harden and then even the dual bigs. Maybe that makes more sense. But if we're talking closing lineups, I could probably make a pretty impassionate case that Jalen Tyson needs to be the most common fifth guy again relative to the current roster construction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be, you know, I think this is one of those things where like there's gonna be a real training camp battle, and if Tyson comes out on top and he earns the coaches trust, I think that's it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: The stage is set round to be as if he's reverted back to like a sixth man thing that he's just gonna be two boxed in to really take advantage. But I think that like I think the stage for him to take big lead for he's he's a little bit older than people realize, I think, but like he's just ready to go. I think he's ready for a bigger role and I'm excited to see it. I do have one you brought up, Summer Lea. I did have a funy Jalen Tyson the Summer League story which I saw him, you know, as a rookiear Summer Lea and I sit next to a buddy mine. He's not really like a big, big basketball fan. What was just there to hang out and we watched Dalen Tyson started at point guard for the Cats summer League team, and he started the game with three straight turnovers at like half court, like getting pickpocketed, like dribbling off his foot, and my buddy's just like.
Speaker 4: Who is that guy? He sucks?
Speaker 3: And the entire row in front of us turns around and they're all wearing like University of Washington polos and stuff.
Speaker 4: It was like teammates and they alays around stared daggers at my buddy. We should have read the room a little.
Speaker 2: Bits a wild time for the for the people that get to run point guard.
Speaker 1: At some point in summer league thing.
Speaker 3: Usually if you're the point guard at summer league and you're not typically a point guard, it means your team is putting in a position to fail. You know, It's like they want you to stretch yourself. They don't expect you to become an NBA point guard, but they want you to get more comfortable, like handling the ball, and most of those guys aren't. And again, you're in a summer league situation where like there isn't a lot of offensive structure, so like guys aren't.
Speaker 4: Always sitting screens in the right places.
Speaker 3: People don't know the playbook if there is a playbook, and yeah, you will look bad if you are not a point guard.
Speaker 4: You're playing point gard in summer league.
Speaker 2: My next pick, I feel like I shouldn't pick him, but I'm going to because I'm just a believer, and we talked about him a little bit before we jumped on the podcast. I think Dylan Cardwell, the Sacramento Kings love it. I don't know what type of opportunity is going to be available to him if Sabonus is healthy. They do seem pretty invested in Maxime Reino. They re sign precious Tochua. They also did end up with after the draft. They have Alex carabin or Caribin. Apologies if I'm mispronouncing that, but man, I love Dyling card Well one, and I did mention this to you his comments at summer League, like they give a fuck factor for him at summer League, Like he's already in the NBA and was kind of a nice little story lester for the Kings. But for him to care that deeply about body language and effort in.
Speaker 1: Summer League, I just I favor it. I love it.
Speaker 2: That stuff is sick, oh af I look at him a lot of people when they look at these bigs who might be able to play some four, play some five, Are they gonna shoot threes?
Speaker 3: And me?
Speaker 2: The answered Dylan cardmell is, I don't like he's not a three point shooter, but I'm very interested to see like he's done some things in as an offensive rebounder with getting rid of the ball after that sometimes he could have these weird hook shots after grabbing them that I'm not in love with the stuff. I think there's more for him have the short role. If you can give him just a little bit of spacing, he can make like play decisions out of the short role. I also do he's flashed some like short mid range game. I think he's an Okaye creator. I just think there's more utility on offense, like he'll do enough of the little things to where if you do have another floor spacing big, you could play with another big or I actually am a big believer in him being like being able to be your primary big.
Speaker 1: You look at data, Baller has.
Speaker 2: One of my what has become one of my favorite stats where you're looking at stop percentage where it's like per one hundred possessions of steels, offensive fouls drawn, and then blocks that were actually recovered by your team. Here's the nine percentile of that stat last year. I think he can hang a little bit on the perimeter as well. The rim protection numbers are mostly fine. This is a guy who I don't think is ever going to be dominant in any one area, but check so many boxes and maybe won't be a noticeable liability in any one area. I want a team to just come in and save him, because this is this is the Kings. But I like how married are they actually to like the other like bigs or fringe bigs on this roster, we can't really tell Keegan Murray is there. So if he's gonna soak up a majority minutes at the four, Cardinal's gonna have to, like I would say, edge out Reno in the rotation, which I right now I think he's just better than re No would be just one of my hot rain No seems like he came out of nowhere. People gravitate towards Oh look at the look at the offensive range. Reino didn't look that great.
Speaker 3: N got the Zach low bump a little bit there right Like Zach low came out singing his praises, me like this guy needs to be all a rookie, and feel like, oh yeah, this guy I'd never heard of himtil Zach Loow mentioned him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he deserves to be all rookie for sure.
Speaker 2: I I find I heard this years ago. It was on Twitter, and it made me rethink, like I stop and think, why do I feel a certain way is you don't want to become a parrot for somebody else? And I think Zach Lowe has probably had like more influence over how I might look at the league or talk about the.
Speaker 1: League than anyone while coming up.
Speaker 2: And so before I'm doing something that feels so if it's like mainstream and you just know it, like I was picking Dylan Harper's a breakout candidate, but this would be one of the people I would stop, like, why do I feel this way? If I watched enough dealing card well or did Zach Loow mention them on a podcast? And you're right, I forgot that. I think zach Loow had like two maximum Reno monologues at the end of last season.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's funny because I did a uh this is a couple of years ago for Hoops type actually, but I did an analysis of like the way that MVP voting has changed and concentrated over time, and it was basically trying to be like, what's the echo chamber effect here? Like what is this like a bias where like, you know, now we see MVP races and they're never close, they're always blowouts, and there's never a tale of candidates right like this, it's always all the votes are concentrated in the same three guys or so, but they're almost always in the same order, and it's just like this unbelievable consolidation.
Speaker 4: Uh, I guess uh.
Speaker 3: Echo chamber going on and one of the so I did a big statistical study there, as big as you can on something that such a small sample size, and it's like two things really stood out as like, uh, impetusis for further consolidation in the voting and more similarity in the voting scores.
Speaker 4: And the first was Twitter.
Speaker 3: Social media came out, and this is like, this is like an unbelievable The chart is amazing, Like everybody should go google that, like that, I ran on basketball poetry too. Hoops, I've had it, but like the chart is pretty unbelievable with the group think, where like the second Twitter came out is like the share of votes in the top two guys basically became like doubled every year after that from what it had been prior because you and like you could spend it positively.
Speaker 4: You could say like, hey, yeah, people are scared.
Speaker 3: To say something stupid because they don't want to be attacked by Twitter trolls or whatever, you know. But also like it early Twitter especially was such a good forum for exchanging high level d and ideas, and so like the argument for this group think that we see with the MVP today is like, yeah, it's just because everyone's smarter now, we all are learning from each other, like everyone has come up with better. But the other big impetus, the other big inflection point was like Zachlo's podcast and articles coming out, and like basically once he became like a thing on the national media, people were like, whatever you wanted to say before, you could always just repeat what Zachlos said and you could defend it.
Speaker 4: You'd be like, well, zach Loo said it, so it's obviously well.
Speaker 3: Thought out, well reasoned, and like those are like two of the big like inflection points in terms of just like how MVP became more and more group thinking over the time, which again I'm not even saying is a bad thing necessarily, but it was interesting, Well, you're right, and you couldn't do when you're writing.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also do what I'm gonna miss, But it also I have to actively avoid them. Kevin Pelton now working behind the scenes of basketball. Again, it's a lost for all of us. We'd like to consume his content, but his trade grades, because I do trade grades at Bleacher Report, like the live grades for the deadline, then a lot of like losingly happen. I have to I want to actively avoid in general what other people are saying or right. Maybe I'm just too impressionable, But like Kevin, Pelton's just covers it from so many angles that if you want to form your opinion on you, it's good to be informed of others' opinions. But I don't want my opinion to be too shaped by what someone like him is already doing. So I would actively have to avoid his articles or trade grades if I hadn't yet greated a trader or reacted to trade.
Speaker 1: Because I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to feel like I got somewhere on my own. And then you go back and look which is Look, this isn't You don't need to take this as a compliment, like you're on the list of people where if I disagree with you, or if I disagree with Grant, like I immediately rethink my priors like oh, or if I like if I disagree with when I just hear Kaitlin Cooper on like the Aviza Zubos trade for the Pacers, I reevaluated my entire life after that.
Speaker 3: You know, Pelton's funny because, like I always, with his trade grades, they come out so quick, they're so comprehensile, he said, But you know, as an independent writer, I always tried to beat Pelton the market because I was confident in my own evaluations. But if I beat Pelton, I would get tons of clicks, tons of subscribers, paid subscribes, everything, And if he beat me to market, it just took up everything I'd get.
Speaker 4: It'd be like a dostown on my page.
Speaker 3: So like for me, it was like legitimately important from a business perspective to beat ESPN and beat Pelton the market so I could be ranked higher in like the Google results or whatever.
Speaker 4: That was leg like huge difference.
Speaker 2: Uh. Look, so we know the system now, so we need to rush this out before the next breakout draft.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna go cardboll That's what you're talking about, right, So.
Speaker 2: I don't good about the opportunity. Was the moral of the story is. And it's not just because it's the Kings, but just they have a weird roster structure right now. And I've actually been wondering what it would take for another team to because he's so cheap, Like does he are the Kings demanding a first round pick.
Speaker 1: To get him?
Speaker 2: Because then you're probably he wouldn't be traded, like will they take a ton of seconds and a small salary. But I don't know what his opportunity is going to be this year. I just I love I love me some doing card.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah I did too, for slightly different reasons.
Speaker 3: I just like every Sacramento Kings game I watch, he gets a big block and then he just celebrates it like it's the coolest here.
Speaker 4: He's got a salute he does sometimes to people. Sometime he'ple just put both.
Speaker 3: Arms up in the air and be like, yes, I'm the man. And I just I love the enthusiasm. I like guys who are having fun when they're playing. It makes it more fun for me as a viewer to watch these guys.
Speaker 2: You know, could he be celebrating his thought percentage when he's doing that knowing that so many of his team's blocks are recovered, Well is it.
Speaker 4: If that's the case, he needs to further.
Speaker 3: Mourn grieve for his you know, foul percentage, because my god, is this guy fould the shit out everybody that is you know what I see though? A little bit is one of our picks for breakout gems last year that I think panned out beautifully was namiash Keida, right, And that's always been one of my guys. And I'm like every time of this guy, like why doesn't he get more leash on the court, Like why isn't he given more chance to play through his mistakes.
Speaker 4: I think he'll be such a game changer, and.
Speaker 3: I think we saw that last year, Like that's definitely one of the guys I've always been highest on that.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad panned out.
Speaker 3: And card Well I think has a little bit of that too, where it's like he's out there and he's just so excited, like a puppy to be out there just rolling himself around, and I.
Speaker 4: Think he's worried.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm gonna be out here for you know, eighteen minutes, seventeen minutes at a time or whatever, Like I need the most of it. He's the guy who I think if he could play through his mistakes a little bit more, he would hopefully settle down and it would translate into just much stronger overall impact besides just like the highlight blocks and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm so I don't know how many minutes he's gonna play this year, but I'm excited. I see where they end up. And he's a He's a reason to watch the Kings for a reason, you like you want a reaction on a block there's you like, there's a reason to tune into that. And what type of shots is Darius Acuff gonna take tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll I try not to form opinions of players before they get into the real league, So I have nothing to say about Darius Acuff right.
Speaker 2: Now that we might as well move on to Is this your is your last pick?
Speaker 4: I think I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wanted to pick Keegan Murray because but that just feels like a little.
Speaker 4: Too much King's talk, no offense to to the Kings fans, I do.
Speaker 3: I will say I think King and Murray is really good. I think that this year, if there's no DeMar Derosen, hopefully no Russell Westbrook will see perhaps would be emphasized Zach Levine, Like I think about.
Speaker 1: Victor Oladeo, is he gonna be able to see.
Speaker 3: I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Oladipa, so who knows, But I think King Murray is gonna like rediscover his bullyball game, rediscover a shot, and have like a really good year. That's what I'm hoping for if he can do Like I didn't want to make this a King of Murray thing, but fuck it, we're excuse my friend, we're already we're alreadyalking on about.
Speaker 2: We don't have to count it as your pick.
Speaker 1: If you want to talk a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of you Kings fans need a little love. Let's be ask.
Speaker 3: There's not a lot of nice things said about the Kings, and we if we're gonna do it for ten minutes, we can do it for ten minutes.
Speaker 4: So I just think, like his three pointer has kind of gone down.
Speaker 3: Every single season, but every single person you talk to, like in and around the Kings, in the league in general, like just thinks he's a really good cheer. Like they just believe in his shot and him as a shooter. He's an amazing finisher. Like people don't really realize this, but like his percentage at the rim are really good. His percentages like in like the ten foot range are really good. Like he's got a whole, like a little bag down there that people aren't aware of a little too in love with the long pull up maybe, but like part of that is just like look at the space that he works with, right, it's terrible. So I think the best case scenario for Murray is, like, hey, there, we're deemphasizing some of these old shot heavy veterans. We're, you know, trying to roll out something new, Like we just paid you a big contract. You were hurt all last year, and frankly, he might still be heard. He had an ankle surgery a couple months ago, so we'll see about that. Like, but like, we're gonna make you like a focal point of the offense.
Speaker 4: Not the focal point. We have a cuff for that.
Speaker 3: We've got some of the guys who need to score too, but like a focal point, and I think he could go back to being like a nineteen point per game score.
Speaker 4: Like, I think that's definitely a possibility.
Speaker 3: It would help if Doug Christy offense was literally anything other than running Kegan Murray off pindowns and like handoffs, Like can we get some sort of off ball movement? Can we do like literally anything to set him up to succeed. Because I watched like two hundred and fifty Keying Murray shots last night in preparation for this podcast. Just in case we talked about him, and every single one is him driving into a crowded.
Speaker 4: Lane and self creating basically like he's.
Speaker 3: Never finishing off of like or outside of the occasonal like Russell Westbrook pass like he's never finishing off like a cut or anything. And it's not because he's not cutting, because there's not that level of like passing or spacing on the floor around him.
Speaker 4: So but I we don't need to talk about the bad things with the Kings. We know the bad things with the Kings.
Speaker 2: The I was gonna say just to support your point, and this is it could be Keegan Murray a little bit, but his catch and shoot, but three point shot quality and off ball shot quality have deteriorated in each and every season that he's been in the league. I view that as more of an organizational failure than I do as at being on Keegan Murray. And I think that his his role is shifted basically, I mean, last year is injured. It's a bad example, but his roles had to shift in every season because of this like rotating like cast of personnel and head coaches that are now coming in. So I don't want he's not blameless. I don't know what he can be as an on ball scorer, if that's what a breakout would look like for him. But I'm not as worried about the declining three point percentage specifically they maybe get you want him to be a knockdown three point shooter, like put him, get him some of the right looks like those three point shooters are generally speaking, if you're not a star, always going to be more reliant on everyone out, like on the coaching or on the guys who are setting them up. And he just hasn't had great stability since arriving at Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's not like he's not like a huge three point volume guy either, Like it's enough for his position. It's good, like that's what you want, but he's not like shooting ten a game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's almost more like he's almost gotten a little bit more like a Devin Bookery feel in some ways, not saying he's anywhere near that level as a self score or anything, but like in terms of the way he plays the game is a little bit more of that.
Speaker 4: When he when he has the ball, well we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: I just think the Doug Christy offense has not done him any favors, but I do think that, like the personnel shifting this year, could open up some opportunities that hopefully he'll take advantage of.
Speaker 2: Did you want to that was your we'll call out your bonus pick. Did you want to talk about another player?
Speaker 3: Hmm, my list is finally running low. We've touched upon everybody, but there's two more names. I think that we should talk about one you might take though, So yeah, let's talk about cal Murray Boyles.
Speaker 4: Let's give the raptor someone.
Speaker 2: Let's definitely talk about Calinmary Boyles such a well.
Speaker 1: Leonard is the question.
Speaker 4: I think it's an important question.
Speaker 3: I think that Kawhi would be a much better fit for him than Brandon Ingram, right just because Kahi at least is more of a threat from the outside.
Speaker 4: I think even though Ingram did take up a little bit in that.
Speaker 3: Regard, but like you know, there's a different level of gravity between Brandon Ingram and Kawhi Leonard that I think is going to benefit Calumary Boyles.
Speaker 4: I think that's safe to say so. But it's the guy who's really stepped up in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: You love to see that from rookies, he averaged like fourteen and a half points per game and like was rebounding two and a half stocks in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Like Hit Darko came out a couple months ago.
Speaker 3: I want to say, I don't remember the context, but he's basically like a CMB and he's been playing thirty minutes to Night, which is exactly what you want to hear for a guy who's sort of like a supercharged sixth man right now, kind of a weird tweener right because he can't shoot like at all, can't even shoot from the mid range, which is a problem.
Speaker 4: Like he he will shoot a floater, and it is the ugliest floater I think I've ever seen. Never goes in it.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you don't trust him.
Speaker 2: Going thirteen oh thirty four on Above the break threes last year.
Speaker 4: I would say, I would like to see more of it before I trust it.
Speaker 3: I will cautiously extend it and invite to meet in a public place, but I wouldn't invite it into my house, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I like I love the hands, I love the motor.
Speaker 3: I think he's like a weirdly creative finisher for this kind of player archetype of like this tweeener like roller, like he can finish with both hands. He'll do a little stuff with a little sauce on the finishes, which I like to see. So, like, I think his feel for the game is really good on both sides.
Speaker 4: The fit was Scotty.
Speaker 3: If we're looking at the cons for him breaking out, right, it's like the fit with Scotty's a little bit weird. Pearl is obviously there too, just doing god knows what, taking up money. So it's gonna be nights where like he.
Speaker 2: Did they extend him again this year or what? I can't I miss that.
Speaker 4: I don't understand the Pearl stuff.
Speaker 3: I've never understood the Peart stuff and it survived multiple front offices at this point, right, So, but yeah, so Murray's if he needs to break out, he just needs become more of a threat in space. And I don't mean shooting three pointers. I mean like, can you hit a ten foot floater? Can you do a little bit more as like a passer in the short role? Like I think these are things he can This is things that we started to see a little bit in the playoffs. Didn't see as much in the real season, but he proved to me that he could compete at a high level already as a young guy. And I'm you know, it's just it's it's always weird with these undersized guys who can't shoot. But I just love the way he plays the game. And I'm hoping that another year of seasoning and maybe a slightly better fit around him Anuel quickly being back to shoot threes is gonna be helpful for him, Like I think he needs that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how much it'll help. And they did play. I think him and Scotty is like defront court. The four and the five got over eleven hundred little over eleven hundred possessions in the regular season. Numbers on that defensively are really good. Do you view that as something that can be a default for them, especially when you have the size of Kawhi Leonard maybe if RJ's at the two in that situation, or is that something you don't want to overtax either player with necessarily. I think with Kawhi being there, instead of brandon Ingram, you're not really taking you don't have to take Scotty Barnes or CMB out of their wheelhouse necessarily, But I'm curious to see what the what would be your appetite for making closing lineup. Yeah, that's just it's Kawhi Leonard, CMB, Scottie Barnes like that your front court. But just generally speaking as a core lineup, do you think that basically CMB being the five then in that instance or the day facto five, are you okay with that or do you think that you're giving up then too much size?
Speaker 4: Now? I think that you need to explore it.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I think that's something that probably will look better in the playoffs than the look in the regular season most of the time. And there will be matches, matchups where it's not tenable, right Like I think you go up against like the heat and it's like bam and the honest you're probably not gonna be able to survive with CMB at center, is my guess.
Speaker 4: You know, that's just too much size.
Speaker 3: But I what we saw from it was so promising for a guy who is so young and still figure out how to play next to Scotti and Brandon, Ingram and Purl and whoever else was out there. Well, not Purtle obviously, but next to Ingram and whoever else was out there, they did not have like the best offensive ecosystem from their guards with quickly being out for so long. So you just you saw enough positives that you have to explore further. Figure I'm always in favor of, like figure out where the breaking point is. Push if you're seeing good results, push further until the diminishing returns or zero.
Speaker 4: Right like that That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Uh, I like that thinking, And I don't have anything to add on CMB.
Speaker 2: I hope watching it, but like I'm assuming the Kauha dra goes through and this team is like the Raptors just might be a sleeping giant, And then maybe people already haven't peddled in as a giant with Kawhi Leonard, but they might be a sleeping giant. If that's like going to be the setup of their team, their core lineup is, or if you just get like if Jacoby Walter gets better, if Jamal shddh, it's a little bit more of his shoes. Like there's just so many swing factors on this team too. So my pen ultimate pick I'm going to go with, I think one of us picked him last year. I can't remember if it was Mirio, it was me. I'm picking him again. I would also like to give I did consider he was not on our list, but Myron Gardner just as this team needs like three and D wings and he gets under opponents to skin just enough where it's like I feel like Eric Bolsher will give him maybe a ton of minutes if the roster stays largely intact right now, I'm sure for sure the heat need like real ball handlers. It's okay. It's cool that Giannis can just rampage his way towards the basket. That's great. Bam Adebayo is kind of a secondary option. Davion Mitchell is kind of a shooter now in Miami. This team needs like an actual organizer or just a ball handler that has more change of direction and cadence to him. I don't think they have anybody else on the roster other than Pelle Larson, who begins to fit that mold. Now, my concern would be they need shooting. He does not provide it, but he can work with the ball in his hands, get through tight spaces, draw a ton of fouls. So I trust the scoring package. Overall, he's not an excellent defender, but I think it like if six' five and that's your point, guard, like you do have excellent size there shooting almost fifty nine percent from two last, year averaged almost six free throw attempts per one hundred. Possessions and this wasn't necessarily someone who was the most ball dominant player on the heat at every. TURN i don't, KNOW i thought his, role his role this year was probably a little bit smaller THAN i thought it was gonna, Be and NOW i feel like he might be sneakily more important to them than he was last. Year maybe that's more about the scarcity of, bodies BUT i do think it's the, actual like the ball handling that he's going to provide they. Need the question, becomes, though can he make a enough or can he based the floor enough to play Around johannis And bam and very MUCH tbd.
Speaker 3: There, YEAH i you, know it's funny BECAUSE i think you're talking about him as a point guard a, lot which makes. SENSE i kind of think the, heat, though are more likely to flip between him And Tim, hardaway, right and it's gonna be like who's the shooting? Guard next To Davion. Mitchell i'm not sure about that BECAUSE i think that all three of these guys have important, skills but none of them have all.
Speaker 4: The skills that they, need you. Know but, YEAH i mean you Picked Pela larson last.
Speaker 3: Year this has always been your guy AND i love Watching he's another guy that just like throws himself around the court like he'll, he'll you, know die for a, ball miss, it get, up dive for it again on the same, play and just like leave skin on the, ground which you love to. See, uh there's A twitter. Account i'm sure you've seen this, before but there's a next account that's, like Did pella get hit in the face? Today and the answer is, yes almost every? Game and my favor it was last year one time he was injured and he was warm ups and it was still a yes because the ball bounced off the rim and nailed him right in the. Nose so they're, like, yes and it didn't even he didn't even play air spots ros about it, before like this is just the. Thing he gets hit in the face all the.
Speaker 2: Time is there an account For Darius garland with that, too because he would deserve.
Speaker 3: One, yeah say he's a higher profile, name so he probably does have. One but, YEAH i mean all the things said about larcen are. TRUE i just think the heat need like some real DEAD i shooting more than they need what he brings in some. Ways but it's gonna be a night to night. THING i think it's gonna be classic spolstro where like there is no such thing as a settled. Lineup like he might start next To hardaway one time in the back. Court he might start next To Davion mitchell in the back. Court some, nights he might not start at.
Speaker 4: All a lot of.
Speaker 3: NIGHTS i he averaged you know, what eleven point per game last year and played twenty something. MINUTES i think he's probably.
Speaker 4: Gonna be in a pretty similar. Place and a lot of it comes down, to Like Ken davey On mitchell hit his.
Speaker 3: THREES i really think that's probably the number one thing for For, pella because If Davion mitchell hitting his, THREES i think the team would rather have him out, there, truthfully at least in like the starting and closing. Lineups If David mitchell is shooting twenty nine percent from, three you, know like he's been prone to in the, past then we might be having a very different.
Speaker 2: Conversation, yeah what point do we accept though That Davion mitchell is not going to do that In?
Speaker 1: Miami, APPARENTLY i guess would be the. QUESTION i.
Speaker 3: Shooters have a lot more variance than people, REALIZE i, think except for the very best and very. Worst you know how many guys in THE nba have carved out a care where they're shoing thirty three percent one day and thirty six the next and suddenly they were, like oh they went from bad to. Good it's, like, well, really they just made like seven more threes in their total sample.
Speaker 4: Size you.
Speaker 3: Know it's like the line between we talk about shooting is, excellent good, enough or. Bad but there's a lot of realm in that good enough THAT i think it's papered over. Sometimes AND i think that, like if the heat play like they did last, year it doesn't matter as much where it's like zero. Screens give the ball To yannis and let him run straight at the rim every single, time like he's a infinitely Better Jaime Haakas, like, yeah they're not gonna need the shooting as, much but if they are dragged down in the half court, more if they're running more traditional stuff than they will need.
Speaker 1: It so we'll see who's your final.
Speaker 3: PICK i think it's kind of crazy we went this, long you, know and brought them. Up this WOULDN'T i wouldn't necessarily have even picked, him BUT i feel like so somebody. Should so we got to Say modess bazilis for The, bulls. RIGHT i think that this is going to be such an interesting test case in how much can you flourish next to players who have somewhat similar skill, sets BECAUSE i think The Caleb wilson, selection which looks, awesome Like wilson was the story of The Summer, league, right he is going to do a lot of the things That wizzelles did kind of not in the exact same, way but BUT i just, LIKE i just like watching him, Play, like you, know last year he was scoring sixteen points per game, already the three point volume is actually really. High LIKE i don't think people realized to shooting like eight per thirty six and, yeah you're making thirty five percent of, them but at this point in a player's, career the volume is more important than the. Accuracy incredible secondary room, protector like having him And Caleb wilson out there flying around and just like swatting shots and like people are shooting floaters and they're still getting blocked. Anyway, LIKE i think that's going to be super. Fun you, know the handle is not, good but it's so much better from his rookie year THAT i just get really excited about.
Speaker 4: It and the Same i'd say with his, passing which was basically.
Speaker 3: Non existent as a rookie and now is like below, average and that's like a much bigger you, know then people give it credit.
Speaker 4: For consistency for him is going to be. Key like there Are knights where he looks like a Future All.
Speaker 3: Star there Are knights where it's, like who you, know is This Patrick Williams on the, court the spacing is going to be kind of cramped With wilson And Nick, claxton but at least they Have Norm.
Speaker 4: Palell now he'll shoot a, Lot he'll make a little bit.
Speaker 3: EASIER i Think Josh giddy is still like just one of the best passers in the, league whatever else you think About Josh. Giitty SO i just we saw Like gazails just got so much better from year one to year, two AND i kind of am hoping that he'll do the same thing in year.
Speaker 4: Three even given The Caleb Wilson, Ofvid'll.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping they have enough space BECAUSE i THINK i would echo everything you, said and he's also just BEEN i guess the word would be more, phrasing more well rounded offensive player THAN i thought he was gonna be. Coming and you mentioned like the three point volume in, efficiency just some of the ability to get to the basket on his own, too not something THAT i had seen. Coming i'm just curious, whether like do the, bolt like his rim finishing has been a little bit on the lower end then WHAT i would have liked for someone with just his. Size but it's also you look at the environment he's. In does this team have enough? Shooting BECAUSE i like the idea of him in. THEORY i like the idea of him playing Alongside Trey jones better Than Josh, gitty but Like Josh gitty is also the better shooter as, well And Norman powells, there so that's gonna open up the floor a little bit if you could play More Jalen, smith but like His Caleb. Wilson you, know what do we say about the Stickiest Summer league? Stats that three point volume or the. Stickiest seems Like Caleb wilson's probably gonna be taking more threes than he did it, Unc but does that actually open up the floor For brazellos and so do those. Redundancies i'm Also i'm very. Curousy how does this front off his view him just because he's not their? Guy and so we'll kind OF i Like Thiago splitter as a head coach. Here, yeah he's a good. Pick this is someone who it's he's kind of entering prime most improved player territory right where if you see him having the, opportunity he might be on your short, list whether you're going three or five deep on your ballot to win the.
Speaker 4: Award, Yeah, NO i think that's all. Right AND i will SAY i think that like the. Bulls certainly The bulls like.
Speaker 3: Fans and media like are obsessed with, him, Right AND i think part of that is because he was the only break spark on the team for a long. Time Now Cale, wilson so there's kind of a shinier. Object BUT, i LIKE i, Said i'm just impressed by guys who take big leap from yr one to year, two AND I i fall into the trap SOMETIMES i think of thinking that that improvement can continue. On So i'm not gonna say this is a certainty because he might have just like sixteen point per, games a lot for AN nba, player, Right, like he might just be that's that's who he's going to. Be BUT i never want to say that about a guy who's not even twenty. Two AND i think like the team in general is just gonna be a little bit more competent and more. Enjoyable to watch the SH i shouldn't SAY joi to. Watch actually always like watching the. Balls they run like, hell they're super fast the past two years or.
Speaker 4: Highlights, yeah, yeah SO i like watching The.
Speaker 3: Bulls BUT i think they're just gonna be more competent on the night to night, basis AND i think like his evolution is going to be a part of.
Speaker 2: That my final pick is going to Be Trayvon brazil from when they Trade Nicole jokic and start him In.
Speaker 1: Denver it's actually not my.
Speaker 2: PICK i want the record to reflect That i'm annoyed THAT i can't Pick Rasher fleming because The sun's lost their minds and traded For Miles.
Speaker 3: Bridges the exact same thing on, HERE I Reshaer, fleming but he's never gonna play because The suns are weirdly the deepest team in THE.
Speaker 4: Nba that was my.
Speaker 2: Note, BASICALLY i am going to pick out of stubbornness common molo watch sure he needs to be the starter at the five from the day.
Speaker 1: One prove to me that you're invested in.
Speaker 2: HIM i don't want to read too much Into Summer, league But i'm about to go ahead and read too much Into Summer league because the stuff he was, doing like the way he's moving, defensively connecting on more of his, screens WHICH i also thought when you're not playing.
Speaker 1: With these guys all the, time was kind of a big deal to.
Speaker 2: Me the shooting is just however you feel about the time it takes for him to get it off like that seems like it just might be real as a pick and pop option to start. Him you have no one at the five spot like Mar i've never been To Mark williams. GUY i Like, osoigadaro but he's. UNDERSIZE i like this is you talk about The suns being. Deep this is one of those, instances, though where there is no one to me that should be getting minutes over him at the center, position and you can't, say, Like, Okay Miles bridges is now blocking not only Was sheer, fleming but CoA. Pete and if you're still believer In Ryan, done he's gonna be blocked by A Dylan.
Speaker 1: Brooks as well as A Miles.
Speaker 2: Bridges The, SUNS i, guess have immediate expectations because you have to if you're going to trade an unprotected twenty thirty three first round pick for the sixtieth seventieth best player in THE. NBA i don't. LIKE i don't know where you would Rank Miles bridge is? THERE i want if my watch isn't starting By, christmas we will. RIOT i will let everyone know the address where we'll be doing, so at the time and the. Date BUT i think that this IS i and this is me Doing Ameya kulpa as, well BECAUSE i thought after for a large part of his rookie, SEASON i just didn't see. It you saw some incremental, improvement but the fact that they weren't playing him, MORE i THINK i read too much INTO i wonder if he was going to be strong.
Speaker 1: ENOUGH i think that he's going to be strong.
Speaker 2: Enough to log heavy minutes at the, Five, MIKE i would just Like phoenix to start him as.
Speaker 1: All that's really just Where i'm at With Coy.
Speaker 3: AND i, say that's someone who is not a Big malowatch. Fan and you're talking about his rookie. Season he merely had a rookie, season, Right like he played four hundred minutes. Total but, YEAH i mean summer League, mallawase which was a, Monster like he's got hoovers for, hands like he was doing crazy things on the, boards bombing.
Speaker 4: Threes and, Yeah i'm not a believer In Mark williams at. ALL i do Like.
Speaker 3: OSOIGDARO i don't know that OsO can play more than twenty two minutes per game on a team that's trying to, win, really AND i think That, malawatch like at this, point you just look at a ceiling and be, like, yeah maybe he doesn't reach, it but we'd better find, out because if a team like The suns doesn't have that many young, outs and if you think That malawatch is one of, them and he can turn into some kind of like amazing unicorny like awesome, defender which he could certainly block, shots can't he be an awesome? Defender remains to be. Seen he'll block the shit at everything, though and he gets a ton of, rebounds and if he can really do stuff on offense, Too like you have to figure that out or at least figure out if like it's worth pursuing, further, right because like The suns are gonna win a finals this, year but you want to eventually and you want him to be a piece of.
Speaker 4: It let's get him down that. Road.
Speaker 2: Now i'm already gonna Because I'm i'm already annoyed that Cong gillespie won't be starting BECAUSE i.
Speaker 3: Want, hey one of our picks for the, record that's one of our picks in this segment last year was A, Gillespie SO i feel good about that.
Speaker 4: One uh do you know?
Speaker 2: WHO i didn't he was on my long list again this year BECAUSE i think it was injuries, mostly BUT i think we both Picked Terren Shannon.
Speaker 1: Junior maybe he was your, pick that was.
Speaker 3: Your, guy AND i Picked Jalen, clark and neither those are really panned out that much unless you wanna Count sannon's.
Speaker 2: Postseason so, Hey Jaale, clark m'll be playing some four this? Year, minunesoto who? Knows SO I i GET i was just about to, Say i'm gonna be annoyed When gillespie's not, starting because then you can't get someone to deliver model watch the. BALL i do Trust Devin, booker BUT i want someone higher. End but If gillespie's coming off the, BENCH i don't trust That phoenix isn't gonna. START i don't Trust phoenix to. Start mall watch, anyway maybe that ends up being an awesome pairing for. Him if those two are coming off the, bench you're gonna have some pretty wicked secondary.
Speaker 1: Units.
Speaker 2: Uh we just better look back on this, season, like, oh like come, man watch played fifteen hundred plus minutes like, that that better be a thing that we're talking.
Speaker 4: About, yeah.
Speaker 1: Totally did you have anybody?
Speaker 2: BEFORE i let just get out all you honorable mentions that you wanted to run through very. Quickly didn't get you went through fifteen players with some with some tangents on the side with.
Speaker 3: THEM i think the only guys we didn't talk, about like pretty extensively Were Zach, edie which, like, yeah he's a monster when he's on the.
Speaker 4: Court can't he be on the. Court that's really all it. Is we know he's really. Good will he PLAY i don't, know BUT i hope he.
Speaker 3: Does we had both talked to think of a little bit About Cason, wallace WHO I the one Thing i'd say About Cason wallace is, LIKE i don't Eat his game kind of stagnated offensively last year a little, bit but it felt to me like that was less about him hitting his ceiling than him just hitting the ceiling of his. Role, RIGHT i don't think he's hit the limit of his. POTENTIAL i think he'd hit the limit of his. ROLE i assume he's going to start this year With Lou, dort But i'll say THAT espn death chart already Has jared.
Speaker 4: McCain penciled, in so who. Knows and then, finally, like.
Speaker 3: The only other guy THAT i thought would be worth talking about a little bit Is Walker. Kessler just like paid a pretty. Penny we kind of nobody's good and not good At but at the same, time he just missed so much time last. Year And i'm not one hundred percent confident in my evaluation Of kessler on either end of the, Ball LIKE i don't really remember what he looks like on, offense particularly, right SO i want to see what he can do this. Year but if you're going to look, good play next To luca as a big man is the way to do.
Speaker 2: IT i would, think, so, yeah, Yeah i'd thought about, it BUT i wasn't. Sure like when you command four first round picks to to outright two swaps and one hundred and thirty million dollars that do you fall out of the breakout?
Speaker 1: Route would be? My would be?
Speaker 3: My he hasn't working out on the, COURT i would, say right like it's It's it's like people like he's a great, defender but he's been a part of some of the worst defenses in the, league like even two years ago when he was With, Utah like they were like a sub twentieth percentile defense When kessler was on the. Court you can't say that about guys like go behar where that would never, happen you, know no matter the. Sort and, yeah Supporting cass was. Horrible BUT i want to.
Speaker 4: See a team that's.
Speaker 3: TRYING i want to see a team AND Jj reddick's usually are a pretty good job of spinning up defenses that have outperformed the. Personnel, well he's got better personnel, now or at least he got a better. Center, now let's let's see you actually do.
Speaker 2: It, Kesler Zaire williams And Matis staible are weirdly important to this team, defensively and then, HOPEFULLY i Guess Quenton grimes is like, Fine it's, like the point is that this. TEAM i don't know what to think about that team just. Yet Payton watson was on my. List he's also been mentioned in the, comments BUT i don't know where he's going to be, playing AND i would, argue is he less likely to break out In denver than if he's playing?
Speaker 1: Elsewhere?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, NO i think so it's still gonna.
Speaker 3: Be you, know he's still gonna be the third option most nights and the fourth on many depending on What Aaron gordon's got, cooking, Right so, yeah absolutely.
Speaker 2: We Have Johan Baron jay was another name that was mentioned in the. Chat they're trusting going to be the backup, Five so that's certainly that's a good name to call.
Speaker 4: Out you And dan did have that on the long.
Speaker 3: LIST i will say for everybody who's commenting like that was somebody that was on his, Radar so good Job.
Speaker 1: Dan oh by the, way this was not on my.
Speaker 2: Radar you added, him and THEN i almost chose, him BUT i don't know what the opportunity is gonna look like In. Milwaukee casper Shakacionas i'm just a believer. IN i was out on him After Summer league last. YEAR i thought that he was gonna be like all, flash no, Substance and THEN i watched more of him With. Miami the shooting was way better THAN i expected it to. Be and if you put the ball in his, HANDS i think he's gonna be able to make like like past guys. OPEN i just don't, Know Like milwaukee has like eighty guards at this, point so we might be a year or two. Early and then the final two NAMES i want to Mention Guie santos And Golden. State is He Jackxa lenderberg is? There so this is Year but given the health Of Moses moody And Jimmy, butler is he just like the most important wing on this team?
Speaker 4: Now as a scary, sentence, Yeah and Then Ugo.
Speaker 2: GONZALES i think The celtics were lamenting the lack of perimeter rim pressure or rim pressure they have from perimeter. Players they then went and traded their best player at providing that without really replacing. It who go to, me and he threw some passes In Summer. LEAGUE i don't feel confident enough in his role With boston just yet because they have so many guys to pick. Him but he was someone else who was on my radar as.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah those are good. LISTS i think we'll see Maybe.
Speaker 3: GOO i, LIKE i don't really have a lot of confidence in him with the ball, yet and they tried to do it In Summer league some and it didn't look. Great but, again summer league you can't take much away from especially for non point guards who are trying to you, know run an.
Speaker 4: Offense so we'll.
Speaker 2: See, Uh, mike this was way longer THAN i. Thought thank you forgiving me sorry every.
Speaker 1: Time, no you don't need to. APOLOGIZE i hope.
Speaker 2: You didn't need to be, anywhere but are able just to tell.
Speaker 4: My kids there at camp they're? Fine? Probably probably are?
Speaker 1: They are they in the scouting? Portal?
Speaker 2: Yeah is that where they are their?
Speaker 4: Best my eldest is, five and he is pretty good dribbling with both.
Speaker 3: HANDS i would say it only goes off his feet every third or fourth, dribble so, yeah they can.
Speaker 1: We find him on.
Speaker 2: Calshi is he is? That oh?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mike can you just tell everyone where they could find you in all the, excellent excellent work that you.
Speaker 3: Think you a basketball poetry, substack it's definitely uh my wife says it's the best one out, there so you should check that. Out and then at Be Ball's poetry on x Or. UH i Think i'm just at Basketball poetry On Blue. Sky, uh if that's where you like to get your social. Media but oh and, uh you know Every wednesday now we're doing The REAL gm.
Speaker 2: Podcast i'm on that, too so yes should have played the.
Speaker 4: Podcast check out The Real jam.
Speaker 2: Podcast you And wes good chemistry over. There co find co subscribe to Basketball. Poetry the link is into YouTube and podcast. Description, mike thank you once. Again as you know by, Now i'll be festuring you again in the, future certainly for your, exercise BUT i might not wait so long BECAUSE i love picking your brain about this. Stuff so thanks so, much, man and take. CARE i will talk to you. Too