Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: We're alive everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube and joining us now in the studio. We've missed her. She's been gone away handling some family business. Jackie Ray, is good to see you. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: It's good to be back. It's good to see you too.
Speaker 2: A lot has happened since you were gone. Yes, let's bring up Jackuarray on the camera. Let's get into Shannon Sharp if we must. When and I are both Shannon Sharp fans of what he does. Yes, but there has been something missing in my commentary about Shannon Sharp specifically. I don't want to reduce you to this, but I think it's essential to have this a female perspective on Shannon Sharp, what he may have alleged, what has been alleged that he has done, and how we should look upon it.
Speaker 4: Well, Like you said, I am a Shannon Sharp fan. However, I'm not a fan of men who act like Shannon Sharp, if that makes more sense. I'm more a fan of people who have a level of accountability, not I don't want to call it toxic masculinity, as much as I want to call it. There's a reason why men in Shannon Sharp's age group go after women that are nineteen.
Speaker 5: Speak on it. Let's don't run past that sunk.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, I think men who are in their fifties, mid fifties, sixties, whatever, they go after young women who are in their nineteen because they can legally do that. So if they could legally get away with going younger, they would go younger, which makes you a pedophile.
Speaker 3: Let's just call it what it is.
Speaker 4: And so for me, when you say stuff like you don't like and then Shannon Sharp is on record saying this, when you say stuff like, oh, these older women they like to boast their independence where younger women don't. Well, it's hard to boast independence when you live at home with your parents. It's hard to boast independence when you're still in college. What you're saying is is you want somebody that you can manipulate financial and probably mentally, because you can. And when we heard the recording of him saying to her, she she doesn't want to go she wants to go out because she doesn't want to get choked out, and he says, well, who says I won't choke you out in public? There's a reason why you are dating a specific type of woman.
Speaker 5: She would.
Speaker 2: You're saying that he wouldn't be able to say that to a forty five year old woman.
Speaker 4: He could, but it would probably come with some consequences.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, because if you don't choke me out in public, we might be tussling.
Speaker 5: So you know you are going to hit him as hard as you can.
Speaker 4: Yes, So it's a different level of And you know a lot of men say this that when women, you know, boast their independence, it's saying they don't need a man.
Speaker 3: I don't need a man who wants to choke me out in public. There's a difference.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: And so I think Shannon Sharp has kind of centered himself in this in this place where he feels like he has to be the one who dominates the situation in every aspect financially, physically, and the best way to do that is with somebody. Because what kind of bills could you have at nineteen so that he can't handle exactly, So, when you're saying, oh, I can take care of this person, okay, When you get a woman who's in her thirties and you're talking about you can take care of her, that's a bigger financial responsibility. So just say that you don't want to have to be financially obligated to a woman who is grown up and can take care of herself.
Speaker 6: Now, if you would say that, I would respect him for it. Here's the next question. I believe that his career and brand are circling the dream. I've listened very closely to what Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith, someone who brought him to ESPN, has been saying, and he's been, in my estimation, creating daylight between him and Shannon Sharp to not get any of the Shannon Sharp stink on him. Where do you think this leads regardless of the lawsuits?
Speaker 4: I mean, so Shannon kind of boasted when he had I forget who it was on his show? Was it Kat Williams that made him more money than he said he had ever made before. So we've really kind of dived into this Uncle Shay Shay so he has a platform beyond e ESPN.
Speaker 5: So and also Nightcap with.
Speaker 4: And that one's always fun because neither one of them have a lick of sense on that show, so it's fun to watch.
Speaker 3: It's very lighthearted.
Speaker 4: So I don't think you can really cancel him per se, because I do think we've seen this with Deshaun Watson. There is a group a demographic of people who will say, Deshaun Watson Cleveland Browns who had a same attorney. By the way, Tony Buzzby kind of brought those women about to say that, you know, Deshaun Watson had sexually harassed them. So there is going to be a demographic of people that say, well, this is consensual, full stop, and there's nothing to talk about. This woman is just trying to get a financial payout. So I don't think that this is going to ruin his career. It might ruin his time with ESPN, but I don't think it ruins his career.
Speaker 2: Does this make him unhirable by a network like the NFL network or some other legitimate broadcasting or cable YEP outlet.
Speaker 4: That's a good question because every outlet is suffering in some way. Every outlet is losing viewership in some way. So then it becomes a question of do we get an influx of viewers because we've presented this shock value. So I think you just really have to kind of read the room. If he beats the case, if he doesn't settle, if he goes to court, that kind of thing, would public perception change. I still think he has a shot. Now it has changed my perception of him. But then now we're having the debate with the R Kelly like, can you still listen to his music but hate what he did as a person, And so now you'll have that debate. Can we still appreciate him to be a great commentary he brings a lot of humor, or do we just resign him to this moment in time? And I don't think we would would ever do that with Shannon.
Speaker 2: We when I say we, the media has speculated on other people, be it Ditty or Kelly, for any number of reasons. I am going to intentionally speculate in the sense of broaching a possibility which I've not heard elsewhere. Okay, and I think it's fair to bring it up for those who don't know. Shannon Sharp is an NFL Hall of Famer. He is, he played a number of years in the NFL. I'm from Denver, so we've big fans. Okay, has there been any discussion to your knowledge of whether there also might be a variable of CTE in this, and I mentioned that if only because CTE has been known to create violent impulses and a switch in a person's personality where they can be cool one moment and all of a sudden they can be almost murderous violent.
Speaker 4: Listen if there isn't, there's been no discussions of that to my knowledge, but if I was his attorney, I definitely would explore that, especially since you can't properly diagno cte until death.
Speaker 3: So we do know that.
Speaker 4: You know, in the case of Junior, say how it resulted in him taking his own site.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: So it does manifest itself in different ways. We've seen people act violently, We've seen people go into great depressions. There's no way to really know how someone's going to react to that, And so if I was his attorney, I would lean into that, and I would lean in and say, you know what, he realizes now his behavior was wrong. He's going to get the help that he needs because that's what people really want. They want accountability, So that's what I would lean into.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard to say you want accountability, we're up until this point you've been like, no, not only he's has he denied everything, He's going to the offensive to bash the character of the accuser releasing the text messages. You know, it seems like I don't know if you can put that toothpaste back in the tooth.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 4: Now, I go both ways on that, because when you when you've been accused of something, if you believe you're right. Now, whether I believe he's right is irrelevant. But if he believes he's right, he definitely should have released the text messages because in his mind he feels that that's going to prove his innocence.
Speaker 3: To me, it made him look far more guilty.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me jump in there. But in releasing those text messages, which were very inflammatory, inflammatory, he also released the name of the Jane Doe, which of who I'm not repeating here.
Speaker 5: Has he set himself up?
Speaker 2: I know we're not legal scholars, but I wonder I would wonder whether he set himself up for a slam dunk defamation case.
Speaker 4: Well, the best defense against defamation is the truth, and so from everything we've seen, it was consensual. So we would have to astart as he's as far as what he's saying. But even she has said, I've I read a report the other day that said, yes, the relationship was consensual. It's not that she's disputing that, she's disputing the level of violence that happened to her.
Speaker 2: And also she's disputing, yes, the relationship was consensual, just not every act within the relationship was consensual.
Speaker 4: Right, So it's that old saying she said yes one hundred times. If she said no one time and you acted on that anyway, then that's a problem. But then it's always going to come down to where's the proof in that. Did she go to the police immediately? Who did she talk to about this? And that's when it becomes he said, she said, And then it just becomes impossible to approve.
Speaker 2: Until until other receipts may pop up because from what we understand, they recorded a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, we we saw his Instagram live, so we know he has no problems.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the camera being OneD and his concept.
Speaker 4: Of of consent might be different than hers.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then why isn't there a discussion about that?
Speaker 5: Oh it's coming.
Speaker 4: No, I mean this and this is for the young men out there. There should always be a constant conversation about consent. Consent isn't a one time conversation. It is an ongoing conversation.
Speaker 5: Throughout the act, throughout the relationship.
Speaker 2: Because just because she in this case says yes to the act in a general sense, does I mean that she approves everything that he wants to do during that act?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: And don't don't try to flip me up. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Don't try to switch me up. I don't try to do any of that because if i've you don't know. And that's but that's also what builds true intimacy is being honest and open about your feelings the entire time. And so for me, it very much gives that that was not his intention in this relationship. His intention in this relationship wasn't to build a true, honest and intimate relationship.
Speaker 3: It was to be what.
Speaker 5: It was He's about to power and dominant.
Speaker 3: Because he saw her in a specific light.
Speaker 4: And so that's that's the box he put her in, and that's where he expected her to stay.
Speaker 3: But she isn't, and that's not what he was expecting.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we have to talk about Jalen Hurts, the Superstar in Super Bowl MVP, quarterback of the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles. They visited the White House today. We had talked about this months in advance. We knew this just because the organization said we enthusiastically da da d dada.
Speaker 5: But coming to the White House doesn't mean that everyone was on board.
Speaker 2: Sheila Hurt said he had a scheduling conflict or something like that. Yep, let's talk about that and the implicit politics of any White House visit once again when we come back.
Speaker 5: It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: Jacki Ray joins me on YouTube and also the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Can't Kelly.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly alive everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and if you're in the chat with us on YouTube, let's be clear. We can disagree, disagree, but we will not be disrespectful to one another or even a guest on this show, So let's keep it on topic. I love the spirited nature of the chat, but sometimes some people go too far. Jackie Ray, you've been joining us as customary with Beyond the box Score. We had talked about this subject in a general sense, about sports and politics and the politics of visiting the White House. I was of the opinion we need to dead that tradition because we are not in a place where it can be viewed through the lens of sports.
Speaker 5: Celebration.
Speaker 2: We had Philadelphia Eagles running back Saquon Barkley go golfing, I think, with President Trump and fly back with him on Air Force One.
Speaker 5: He received a lot of criticism for that.
Speaker 2: Jalen Hurts, the Super Bowl quarterback in MVP, did not attend the White House celebration today. He was asked incessantly in the weeks leading up to this are you going to go? He didn't answer, and then he didn't show up. The public reason he gave was a scheduling conflict or something something something.
Speaker 5: Why are we still doing this?
Speaker 4: There's no logical reason why you still have teams come to the White House. And I think it's funny that there is a specific demographic of people who will be up in arms that Jalen didn't go. But I would bet my last dollar that those are the same people that would say we need to keep politics out out of sports. And so you're speaking with a double mind, and you're a hypocrite flat out. And so if we're going to keep politics out of sports, then guess what you don't do. You don't go to the biggest political office in the country, and because there is whether you support that person or not, there is an image that you do. And so, regardless of what people say, Jalen did the right thing because the politics that are coming from the White House are not in favor of or in support of anyone who looks like Jalen and so I think he did the right thing.
Speaker 2: What if Jalen Hurts were to say, look, I'm an American too, there are some issues that I have with this president, either personally or politically or his policy. How do you think people would respond to him if he just said, look, I don't want to get into the specifics, but we have a level of disagreement and I don't want to send them message.
Speaker 4: Then I think the hypocrites would come out in droves and they would call him anti American, and they would call him the place.
Speaker 5: I've already seen the message.
Speaker 3: So we know.
Speaker 4: So there was no win in this. There's no win in saying, hey, I'm not against my colleagues who want to go, but I'm not going because this man does not aligned with my viewpoint. Then you're going to be anti American and every other term they can think of. There's no win in not supporting someone who the majority of people who have leaned into for reasons that are to me not logical. So when you have a group of people that are operating without logic, then you can't expect a logical response to a man who said, I'm not going to win if I say something, so I'm just not going to say anything.
Speaker 2: But here's the other side. I've said it before and I need to reiterate it. If we say take the politics out of sports, what is it? What is there then to say when the president inserts himself into sports, commenting on things that are going on in sports, and that's separate and distinct from let's say, going to a UFC bout going to NASCAR or showing up at the Super Bowl. President Trump specifically has had things to say about people in sports, issues in sports, and all also had something to say about well halftime, right, super Well halftime?
Speaker 5: You know I don't.
Speaker 2: The only way you can get past this is to just dead the tradition all together, and I think it would be better for all involved, including President Trump, because then we don't I get turned.
Speaker 4: If you exalt yourself as king and if you make a fake Time magazine cover hailing yourself as king, do you walk in logic or do you walk and make believe you? And Alice is kicking it in Wonderland. That's what we're dealing with right now. So to have a level of expectation for him to operate with the same standards that he is intentionally holding other people to is never going to happen because it's not required of him by his constituents and that's not how he sees himself.
Speaker 3: It's never going to happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's then move forward with that assumption that politics is going to remain in sports. But if it's going to remain in sports, let's be clear that there are two entities put the politics in the sports. We just can't blame the athletes. We can't just say, hey, we got to keep politics out of sports. Athletes should have nothing to say about politics, and at the same time disregard the president who was also making political statements about sports.
Speaker 5: I just want it one way or the other.
Speaker 3: So I agree with that.
Speaker 4: However, this is always going to be the hill that I'm going to die on. Politics affect people. Athletes are people. It's going to be impossible to truly Now you can have an atmosphere where you can set rules and say, hey, we're not going to talk about politics while the season is going on. You cannot publicly on social media or anything like that support anything political, whether that's policies that are being passed or politicians. You could do something like that, but then you should also take the national anthem out of every single game, which they probably should do anyway, because for those of you who don't read and don't know, the reason why the national anthem was inserted into sporting events and the NFL specifically, was because there were low recruitment efforts and they wanted to use the NFL, which they felt was the biggest stage to boost recruitment into military institutions. It had nothing to do with patriarchy. It had everything to do within listening.
Speaker 2: Let me just tell you there was a big scandal controversy what they call paid patriotism, where the federal government was paying the NFL yes to have the flag of the national anthem probably featured at every single game, especially since nine to eleven to boost recruitment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's capital it's not patriotism, it's capitalism.
Speaker 3: So let's get it right.
Speaker 4: So while you're saying, oh, that's not patriarchy, then you need to really call your congressman and say, hey, we need to take this out of sports entirely, because you cannot say that athletes should keep politics out of sports when you are demanding and will name call and just act a complete full when they don't go to the White House, you're a hypocrite.
Speaker 2: It's later with Mo Kelly. She's Jackie Ray, Jackie Ray. How can they contact you?
Speaker 4: I feel like some of y'all got something to say to me, and trust me, Yeah, the only reason I'm not saying it back in social media right now, on YouTube right now is because we're talking. But trust me, when I leave this room, I'm gonna have this moment because my clapback game is strong. But if you want to get at me, my at is Jackie Ray, j A C K I E R A E t V.
Speaker 2: I hope they're ready because if you're not ready, it's gonna be pain for you.
Speaker 5: I've seen it.
Speaker 3: Some of y'all need it, so it's good.
Speaker 1: It's good you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from kf I a M six forty