Speaker 1: Good Morning, Kentucky Anda, Happy Thursday. This is Coffee and Company, Kentuckyanah's morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas as John Shannon said, and he couldn't say it if it wasn't true, this is just what the doctor ordered. The doctor also needs to find a cure for us, if there is a doctor that can help us reduce the violent crime here in Louisville. Obviously that's been a big discussion for a while now. But given what took place yesterday and given what has taken place in Louiell in the last week, overall, it just seems like there's more heightened awareness of what Louisville currently is experiencing. Violent crime is not new to us, and there are some numbers that are worth mentioning, and you hear mayor Greenberg talk about those because it is I think it's just my opinion. I think you can do both things. You can find positives and just try to try your best to maintain positivity, because why would you want to be miserable. But also, you know, realize that this, let's not convince ourselves this is anything other than what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a major problem.
Speaker 1: So one thing I wanted to add that feels like it doesn't need to be said. You would think that this is an obvious thing, but maybe I'm just my instincts tell me that it's worth saying that there are many people who live and have always lived in these areas that are experiencing violent crime at the highest level, and certainly at the highest level when it comes to juveniles. Like they realize that this is an issue and they want to do whatever they can to create a change. And again here I am saying something that like should be an obvious right. People who live in the areas where everybody's getting killed, they don't like that. They prefer that not happen. But I just think when you're out of site, you're out of mind. You know. Maybe maybe some people just don't consider that, and I think some of them are trying their best to make an impact and improve their community. But yesterday Woky are Partners. They caught up with the father of one of the suspects that has been arrested in the first school bus stop shooting, and I recommend you check out the interview. It's I believe it's roughly eight and a half minutes, almost nine minutes and it just was I mean, it's a real and raw It doesn't feel like an interview. It feels like you're just hearing from a father who is, you know, going through it in a way that most aren't. Right, one of those violent criminals that has made an impact on this city in a negative way, being more dangerous and violent is his son, and his son is a child. So I mean, it's just it's a very raw and real and emotional conversation. But really it's just him kind of sharing his perspective and sharing his story. And I just think it was for me. I thought it was an interesting you know again, I'm not I don't I'm not. I didn't grow up in that community. I'm not often in the area where these things take place, and I don't have any you know, but just to hear someone that is going through it in a different way, it just kind of made me even more like, Wow, this, you know, it's just a reminder that man, as dangerous as it is for everybody in Louisville, it being in your community, it being every night seemingly in your on your street or maybe a block away, that would be awful. I mean, that would be not only scary, but just something that would be it would I mean, it's awful. I mean, I guess that's the best way to put it. But again, check it out if you if you get some time, because I just think it's I mean, it's it's worth hearing. But he is the one who turned his son in. So this was the school shooting that took place, the school bus stop shooting that took place last Thursday, on the first day of school, and there have been two fifteen year olds arrested facing a combined thirty four charges. And again this this man's son was one of those. And I mean, I'll tell you what I mean, I don't know how often you'll see somebody turn their own their own son in. So he came to the scene during the second shooting and recognized, you know, the news coverage of his son from the first incident. So you know, the second arrest that was made here is because his father came to the scene of the second one and turned his son in. And he told w Oka why that his heart sank when he saw his son's picture on social media and could tell and again, if it sure, kid, you'd know, right, And he did admit that he'd seen some warning signs that he and he tried to get some help for his son, but ultimately he you know, he felt like the best way to help his son is to turn him in and and you know, do the right thing obviously, but hopefully get some level of rehabilitation as a as a young man and not really a young man, he's a child. He's fifteen years old. So he also shared the story of seeing the the the I guess the pictures and he could tell it was his son, despite a lot of people probably couldn't just because it really wasn't. You couldn't see his face, but he just knew the build, the height, and he talks about it what stood out that helped him identify that that was probably his son. So he called his son's mother, who's no longer with and asked where his son was, and she she gave she gave an answer as far as I guess some area, some neighborhoo in Louisville. And he said, are you sure, and it you know, I'm paraphrasing here, but I think he described. Her response was well, I think, And then his heart sank as he realized that, you know, like that at that time. I guess he asked where she where he was, and sure enough, you know, he turned his son in. And he went on to talk about how he had saw warning signs of what his son was posting on social media.
Speaker 2: He could see it. He filed him. He filed.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was to get custody or whatever it may be, but he filed. And I think it was like a year ago to the day that he'd filed and he got nowhere. So just heartbreaking. But also that's the right thing to do. And I don't care what your lifestyle is or what your situation is, that would be a very hard thing to do, to turn your fifteen year old son in for those kind of charges. And maybe people are hearing me, like, what do you mean that wouldn't be hard.
Speaker 2: It's the right thing. I get it, but I feel like it would.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't know how hard it is or how hard it isn't until you've in that situation, and many of us never will be, hopefully, but I imagine that was not easy. But again, it was the right thing to do, and it's the best course of action for his fifteen year old child. And if more parents did that to where they were willing to do the right thing because their kids made mistakes. It would lead to more accountability and therefore hopefully.
Speaker 2: Less of this.
Speaker 1: So check it out if you guys haven't seen it, it's on the WLKY YouTube channel, and also they've got a story about it at the website. All right, let's get to an update on traving in weather as we roll along here on a Thursday morning, Coffee and company with your Kentucky and his morning.
Speaker 2: News here on news radio eight forty whs.
Speaker 1: It is seven to seventeen here Kentucky and is morning news news Radio eight forty whas coffee and company with you. So if here's somebody who hates waiting in line at an airport, which who would like that? Right? Nobody enjoys that, you now will have a chance to potentially speed up that process. TSA is expanding their touchless face recognition across many airports here in America for faster pre check lines. So travelers that select US airports now have the option to speed through TSA security, but only if they're willing to let the government get.
Speaker 2: A selfie of their face.
Speaker 1: So to me, I just assume when it comes to like privacy, look TikTok and read my brain. They're going to find out what they're going to find out. I mean, I'm not I mean I'm not worried and it's not like I've got nothing to hide or anything like that. I just I don't think you can control it if you tried, maybe that's me becoming a conspiracy theorist. But like, I mean, if people want to find out what they want to find out about you, they'll they'll do it meeting those that you know, have have resources and just knowledge of how you would you would go about doing that. You don't fly a whole lot, John, But when it comes to knowing you could you could quickly, and I mean let's say you could trim you could go from an hour and fifth teen minute process too?
Speaker 2: Is it that long?
Speaker 1: Well, well, the whole process we're talking about. Okay, do you have to get in line to check your bags at the airport?
Speaker 2: Do you have to?
Speaker 1: Then you have to go through security, But like security can be rather quick. But let's put it this way. Let's say you could wait fifteen minutes or it could take two minutes. Would you sacrifice the time in order to say uncle, Sam, you're not getting a picture this handsome mug.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think that's a significant amount of time enough. It's significant enough amount of time to warrant doing that.
Speaker 2: But why would you What are you worried about?
Speaker 1: Like you mean you think that like them having a picture of your face, like you wouldn't want you wouldn't want.
Speaker 2: Them to have that.
Speaker 3: I just think it's I don't really know the reason why I get.
Speaker 1: It, like it's it's I mean, I know what you mean, because like privacy is some people do that. Yeah, well because if anything, you know, they're incentivizing us to where they can get more of information.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the other thing, like what more could they want? They already have everything.
Speaker 1: And that's that is the ultimate reason as to why I would just say, yeah, the hell with it.
Speaker 2: I don't care. They're going to find out whatever they're going to find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, what we do, I mean, it's not a visual medium, but like it's pretty public what we do, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That's true. So I'm sure that the government could be listening and take out a voice and be like, oh that's John Alden, that's Nick coffee right there.
Speaker 1: I would do it just because I'm impatient, and I'm assuming that you know, they've probably scanned my by the way they scan your face when you get your I mean I didn't sign anything. They scan my face whenever I whenever I went through the airport just last week, and I think it's part of the process.
Speaker 3: So maybe what they're really doing is checking to see who will be more compliant than the others.
Speaker 1: Maybe. I don't know if they were to do something, I mean, if there's any place where they're going to be able to quickly through facial recognition find a lot out about you, it's got to be at an airport, right, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to a quick update on trafficking weather.
Speaker 1: We will then have another sports update coming your way right here on news radioa forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon, it is Kentucky, had his morning news, coffee and company with you here on news radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. You could also listen live at whas dot com.
Speaker 2: So the cost of fast food has clearly.
Speaker 1: Gone up quite a bit. If you're somebody that doesn't eat fast food. Good for you because not only are you probably healthier than most, you've been able to probably save some money. I don't know though, because everything seems to be really, really expensive. But you're now starting to see the potential decline as far as just sales. So it's been getting I mean, I don't have the exact numbers year by year in front of me. I do have some good data that I want to share with you. But John, you're with me, I know you don't probably eat fast food a ton, But the noticeable jump in prices at the common places like McDonald's, Taco Bell, wherever you go. I mean, it's not brand new, it's been seemingly growing for the last couple to three years.
Speaker 3: Like even if you take from what is considered like the value menu, it doesn't even feel like a value anymore. Oh exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean when you compare what you used to pay to get a certain meal at a certain restaurant, it is skyrocketed. And if there's a place where it hasn't, let me know, and I'd be happy to be surprised, and I'd be happy to maybe give them some business next time.
Speaker 2: I'm going to decide to eat fast food.
Speaker 1: But when you look at the revenue for the fast food industry, despite I mean.
Speaker 2: People are still eating it.
Speaker 1: It's more expensive, but they're still making a lot of money, And that just goes to show that people will. I mean, it's probably convenience. It's probably you know, if fast food is your is your go to, there's probably not a price that's going to put you away because that's just how you feed yourself.
Speaker 2: And I think less people just know how to cook.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, yeah, and really when you know that going to the grocery and getting a week's worth of food and you could you could crunch the numbers and see what makes more sense for you if you're really watching your budget to that extent.
Speaker 2: Which if you are, good for you.
Speaker 1: But the the just knowing you may be racking up a couple hundred bucks at the grocery for a week, that alan will keep you from doing it, and you'll justify spending seven eight bucks for a meal at fast food just because it's a one off expense and it's just not you've forking over a couple hundred bucks. So the reason I bring this up is because it's been growing for a while, and yet they've still been able to make a lot of money. I mean, twenty nineteen, the fast food industry grew to let's see US fast food industry revenue. It grew to four hundred and seventeen point five billion from twenty nineteen up until I guess the end of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: So that was that was steady growth.
Speaker 1: So let me give you an example, global fast food market eight hundred and sixty two billion in twenty twenty, six hundred and sixty three billion overall. So again that's down globally, but in America we like fast food, we just do. So we're now though, starting to see a little bit of a change where McDonald's sales fall to the lowest level since COVID lockdowns, despite them actually making some improvements here to maybe give give some folks a little bit of relief with the with the money, I mean, with what they're what they're spending. I mean, they have at least made an attempt to start to add some value menu items that are that you know, six years ago they wouldn't been viewed as a value, but I guess considering what things cost now, there is there's clearly I guess the level of value there. Also, Wendy says US sales have been really weak, and I just I'm curious. Is this more so because people have just decided, yeah, I can't justify food that's really bad for me, that cost this much whenever you know, I mean, we may have hit the point where the Americans have at least made some level of progress to say, yeah, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pay for that anymore. Or maybe it just costs way more with what you know to produce all the food that these fast.
Speaker 2: Food restaurants make.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean when you see for the first time since the pandemic COVID lockdown, McDonald's has has mentioned their sales falling, and also I mean reference a shaky economy being the factor. I mean, that's that's pretty telling. But also it really can't be as surprise. If you'd have told me three years ago people weren't going to fast food restaurants as much because it was expensive, I would have absolutely believed you, because I get it. I mean, going to Taco Bell with the family, I mean, we don't necessarily penny pinch there. But if everybody just gets what they want, and they typically want. We're talking about my two young children and my wife and I we're thirty something bucks. I mean, maybe that just makes us sound really fat, but you know.
Speaker 3: It mean you still be those same amount of people for the same amount of meals, and you'd probably get twenty dollars worth.
Speaker 2: Of food, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you we can get You can get some relief when it comes to your finances. That's a track County four because they've got the summer sales event going on and the deals are sizzling hot, hotter than it is outside.
Speaker 2: Hard to believe that, but it's true.
Speaker 1: So right now you can enjoy zero posent APR financing, no cash down and no payments for ninety days, plus get a two year twenty five thousand mile maintenance plan on most new forwards or check this out. Save up to twelve thousand dollars off MSRP on the new twenty twenty four, one fifty and the twenty twenty four expedition. Kick off your summer and style at Tri County four, just ten minutes from Louisville at Oldham County Exit eighteen off of I seventy one. We've got trapicking weather updates come on your way, and of course we'll keep this thing rolling along. It's a Thursday. Thursday's the new Friday right here on news Radio eight forty whas. Doesn't look as if there's been any progress just yet. Well, I'm sure they're working behind the scenes. There may be progress, but no news, no new information as far as the suspect yesterday and the shooting that took the life of a young woman who was walking a child to a bus stop. So if there is any update, you'll be sure to hear it right here on news Radio eight forty whas coming up around eight o'clock. I'll let you guys kind of I'll reset a little montage of sound out put together from the Louisville leaders yesterday at all levels. Doctor Yearwood, the JCPS superintendent, I thought was really well spoken, and it was my first chance to really get to hear him in an unfortunate context, of course, but obviously it's good to have a leader that was comfortable in that spot because he's the JCPS superintendent. And yes, yet this is clearly an issue where children are going to a bus stop and people are getting shot and killed. I mean, that's that's an awful thing to say out loud. But here we are also Chief Humphrey and Mayor Greenberg. Will let you hear that coming up around eight o'clock. I lied to you coming up around eight oh five. All right at Kentucky, it's morning news with you here on News Ready eight forty w h as Coffee and Company. I tell you what I felt like last week when I was in when I was in Destin, I was more visible and aware of just things that are tourists traps, slash scams. You know, there's there's like this, and I'm sure if you've gone to Destin you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: But the the the I think it's.
Speaker 1: Called the Harbor where they've got like the restaurants and stuff like we got we got dinner at a place. The food was fine, but you know it's super expensive. Then you got like a four different fee charges. One one for like the the harbor fee, one for the you know you you got you got four family members and they all have legs that were going three dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 2: Let's add that to the receipt.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just never ending, and I'm starting to become irritated with that, just the they Nicolindomia. It is in mostly just tourist cities, but that's happening really everywhere now. However, I wanted to bring this up because there's now some advice out there as far as what you can what you can identify as a tourist scam before you know, spot the tourist scams before they spot you. And some of these are more so in different in different countries, and really, I mean, I wouldn't know what to I mean, I feel like anytime I've gone to another country it's been In fact, I've only been I've been to Canada and I've been to Mexico. It's as far as I've gone outside of the United States. And when I think of tourist scams and whatnot, I just think, I just think of it's not really a scam. It's just they're pushy, like they're they're in. They don't they don't take no for an answer. They've got a way in which they can they can get you. They they can get you to a point of your being so you're so uncomfortable you might just buy. They don't care that's how they operate, right, It's not like they're really trying to sell you on this product that you can't get anywhere else.
Speaker 2: They just get you and hope that you submit, essentially.
Speaker 1: But this is in certain cities where if you're walking around and I guess this has happened in New Orleans, and I just feel like if you fall for this, like come on, but they'll hand your partner a rose and then pressure you into paying more than it's worth because they already have the rows. Like I'm not one for confrontation, but I would absolutely absolutely say yeah, sorry, you can have the rose. Back. Listen to this one, John, This gives me a good example of last week for us. So a lot of people take their kids on vacation. Right, you're on the beach, So there's these guys have these permits and they roll these carts of ice cream and popsicles and they're selling them, and there were I mean, I'm embarrassed to say this. We paid fifteen bucks per popsicle.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still I'm.
Speaker 1: Still pissed off about it, even saying it out loud, and it was disgusting. So then we just fell and I asked my wife, like, why did you do that? And he was like, well, they already had him. And then a family overheard us talking about it, and I guess the prior day we weren't around. But that's what they do. They'll they'll they'll see your kids playing in the sand, playing near the water, and if you're if your little kids run up to them, they'll just hand them to you and open them and then tell you that like here you go, name and you can name whatever price, at least they think. And I love the story. I wish I would have seen it. Apparently a mother threw the ice cream at the guy and was like, you think we don't know what you're doing, get out of here. Turned out the guy didn't even a permit.
Speaker 2: He got arrested.
Speaker 1: Wow, But like that's a waiting, that's that's that's preying on like and again, that's that's really life right Clearly, if you want to get people to fork over money, do something that their kids like, that's you know, that's a way to get to their money. But yeah, I can't believe I admit that on the radio, although I'll blame my wife throw under the bus because I was sitting in the chair. They came back with them and she had a disgusting look on her face, and I said what, and she was like fifteen dollars for both, and I said, I wanted to chase the guy down and give him a talking to, but I let it go. Anyways, we've got another traffic weather update coming your way and another sports update coming as well, right here on news RADIOA forty whs