Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to Game Spot After Dark, Episode ninety one. I guess it's technically after dark because we're recording in the morning this time, trying to It's been a busy week, you know, a lot going on at Game Spot, but we're still here to make time for all of you and the podcast. I am your host, John Laczek, I'm sorry to say once again, and Lucy, we're not able.
Speaker 2: To say sorry for being the host again.
Speaker 1: Well that too, I mean, yeah, you're great, oh, thank you. But it's it's okay that I'm here because I'm also joined by a wonderful guest to help make this podcast excellent once again, I'm joined by Michael Lame. What to Do Baby? Returning? Is Ben Jenka?
Speaker 3: Is this the first time we've gone after dark? On the opposite side, I think, like from because it's the morning the earliest suspense.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think so, I mean, no after dark, what happens after dark? It's morning time this morning, I.
Speaker 3: Mean this is I can't believe you full circled it to a morning show.
Speaker 1: Also, Hi, and for the very first time, Evan.
Speaker 4: Langer, Hello, Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Any of you who have listened to our spoiler cast for our Persona episodes might be familiar with Evan Big Persona boy.
Speaker 4: This is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rumors are true. Yeah, it turns out.
Speaker 2: Noah, he had some hesitation that He's like, wait, am I I.
Speaker 4: Thought I hated Persona? No, Persona sucks, Margana, get out of here. Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow Evan.
Speaker 2: Evan is a lovely person and I'm glad to have him here and I miss working with him, I miss seeing him in real life. So yeah, that's that's my testimonial of Evans, so everyone could trust us.
Speaker 1: My review of.
Speaker 2: Evan Langer is like a nine point five out of ten ship.
Speaker 1: The point fives.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know what I'm saying, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like you know what I'm saying, Like you know, yeah, I know, I know exactly. Yeah, Yeah I got you. I got you totally, you know.
Speaker 1: Like graphics, like you know, that's like a nine, and then like audio, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Viewers tilt, you know, reviewers till I give a ten. The sound I give a ten. Graphics are probably a nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll live with that. I'm good with that. We can sell a lot of copies with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, Evan, since it's your first time on, we're going to be doing the Dayton Oh Boy, It's morning, the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment, the music.
Speaker 3: Chris.
Speaker 1: There we go. All right, Evan, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself, what you do here at game Spot and some of your favorite games.
Speaker 4: Well, hello again. My name is Evan Langer. I'm a video producer here at Game Spot. I started as a video intern almost two years ago, in June twenty nineteen. I've been here ever since. Turns of what I do, I mean, there's a ton of stuff over the years. I do a lot of like the Nintendo stuff for video preview review features. Done a lot of stuff with my boy Kurt, which do I love working with. I did true fiction when we did Save State the news show. I was the editor for Generation Next. I used to Live Switch the podcast, so we did that in the office. I'm sure there's plenty of other things, but I won't waste more people's time. So there's a bunch of stuff there. What I like playing, I guess I kind of already said it, but Nintendo, Nintendo First Party Games, the first system I ever owned, was a Nintendo GameCube and the first game I ever owned was the win Waker, and I'm pretty sure my life trajectory has been set at that point. So yeah, usually whenever there's like a Nintendo first party game, I'll check it out. As we said at the top of the podcast, Persona, I do love Persona lot. Persona five Royal is my second favorite game of all time, behind Winwaker. Recently got into Yakuza thanks to the three people on this.
Speaker 3: Podcast, the fives.
Speaker 2: He's a young crime boy over here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still new to it, but over the course of Quarantine, I've played through Yakaza zero through seven in judgment, all very very fantastic and uh yeah, I mean other than that, I also like Sony's first party stuff. Most people call it playing a movie. I like the fact that you're playing a movie. Yeah, is there anything more I should say?
Speaker 2: I just want to say that Evan has done everything. He's done everything well and it's uh, it's yeah, that's that's my boy. That's my second testimonial.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate because you were talking about like true true fiction and like like actual like production like stage production or like shit like that. I'm like, oh damn, I almost forgot that. That's how far you go back. Because Evan's a young boy, We're like, what you're like twenty two, twenty three, and I'm like, you've done it all already.
Speaker 4: So thank you, thank you, well star. You can thank specifically the founder and former host of this podcast, Jake Decker, who took a chance on me and gave me a ton of opportunities. So forever, thankful to that man for putting me in the position I am today. So yeah, all right, out to Jake.
Speaker 1: Oh righty, Well, why don't we just move right onto what we've been playing. I guess I'll start just because I don't have too much to say. I've been playing more Reternal Hot Game this week is the hot game this week. Our review is up. You can go check it out. It's from Mike Epstein, who gave it a nine out of ten.
Speaker 2: She goes read that sharp, yeah, sharp review as well. I help edit it, but yeah, that fool was spitting oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you should also go check out the video review, which I edited and I thought, I think it's pretty good. But yeah, I don't have much to say outside of what I said last week other than damn, that game's still real, real good. It looks great, it sounds great. I hope everyone gets a chance to check it out. You know, I'm I'm all worried. I'm worried it's gonna get passed by because it's a it's PS five only it's coming out, you know, right before Resident Evil Village, before Mass Effect. You know, all these other games are coming out. It's seventy bucks. Seventy bucks, which you know, I'm not one to debate, you know, game game value versus cost. I do think it's you know, it's a fantastic game. Like, if it's the game interests you, it's it's worth the money. But that is not in substantial chunk of change. So I absolutely understand if people are hesitant to check something out, especially a new ip like that. But if it does interest you and you have a PS five, I really do think it's worth checking out, either now or down the road, maybe when it goes on sale. If you're you know, not sure at the moment ary, you already got your money devoted to other games. Because it really I do think it's it's something special, like house Mark is just absolutely knocked out of the park with it like it. It feels fucking fantastic, It looks great. This is the kind of game you want to put headphones on, you want to get that that tempest three D audio going the the dual sense, Like it's a good showcase of the p S five, I would say, which I think maybe like that That's kind of my hope is that. I think I think people with PS five or maybe have they been itching for like a good next gen uh next gen game to really show off what their their systems can do. And this is definitely definitely one of those games. So yeah, if if that uh that roguelike structure like interest you if you're into sort of like creepy alien mystery kind of you know, like it's got it's got that deep lore. Phil Hornshaw, who's game spots like Lore boy, he loves, he loves, he loves spitting about like Destiny Law all the time and he's he was like, dude, like you gotta beat. I got talked about the lore in this game, and I was like, oh shit, okay, all right, so uh.
Speaker 2: Phil Lorshaw, Yeah, that's what we putting now. Ten page things for Eddie's like a quick edit on this destiny lore thing. I open it up, I'm like this motherfucker's oh my god, and like I don't understand ship, but you know what, it's well put. So that's you can trust Phil on your maternal lore.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 3: You can when you read hell of books, you get all the lore.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's wild sci fi nerd as well. He is he is, so yeah. He he also has been playing it and loves it. So yeah, I really can't recommend it enough sick. Yeah y'all y'all were trying to convince me last night, or you specifically trying to convince me, and I think, like I want.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I talked about how like I don't know. I uh, I want some I want some ship. I want.
Speaker 2: I want I want a game where I can blow ship up. But I need I needed. It needs to be it needs to be cerebral on some level because then, like I was talking about how I would play Call of Duty to like bloll shit up. But then it's like I don't really have to think about Call of Duty because I'm that good at that game where I don't have to really think about what I'm what I'm doing. I just natural reaction as boy, you know the vibes. But once once my mind is turned off, then my mind so starts wandering. I start thinking about other things, and I can't have that when a playing game it needs to needs to like grab my full attention. But it seems like Returnal is challenging in a way that it is very it is very.
Speaker 1: Mental and uh in some in a big way. I guess, yeah, absolutely, And like I said, like you put on like the headphones and like the sound design is just like you're you're in it. You are you're in that game. And I mean when when that combat gets going, you have to pay attention because it is like wild, like there you get to these like really big combat arenas where there's been so many times that I've died just because I like focusing on like the ten enemies in front of me. But then there's like this guy like teleport and he just comes and right from behind and gets me. So like you you have to be just like constantly paying attention to your to your surroundings and kind of like you know, on the move, Like if you sit still for like even a moment, you will die. So if you're looking for a game that is just is just demanding your attention at all times when it comes to like the combat, like paternal Sketch covered. Oh all right, then why don't we move on to Michael? What have you been doing this shit?
Speaker 2: So I poured my heart out about Near Replicant last week, and that's all I fucking think about is Near Replicant. That game fucked me up. I've said as much last week, but it's it's almost the same feeling that I got. I talked about this last night when we were just chilling. Is that back in twenty seventeen when I played When I finished Persona five, like I was, I was in a mood where I couldn't play anything else because my mind is like preoccupied where trying to just trying to process the Persona five experience, And so I played. I played Near Automata in in twenty seventeen, but I couldn't play it right after. I tried playing it right after Persona five, and I was like, I can't. I'm not thinking about I'm not thinking about this game hard enough in this moment. So I'm gonna put this off and I'll play it later. And I eventually played in Near Automata later that year, and it was my second favorite game of twenty seventeen. But right now I'm in that mood where I've finished Near Replicant and like I can't play anything else because that's the thing I'm thinking about, And if I try playing another game, I'm still thinking about Near Replicant. It's like, yeah, so the closest thing. So this is what I did in twenty seventeen. After Persona five, I played Persona four Golden and that was the only game. This is the only game that would that can capture my attention in this moment. So I feel like it's the same thing. So I'm replaying Near Automata right now and it's fucking wild. I think I may have talked a little bit about this on the last episode, but noticing a lot of a lot of things I didn't notice before about Automata that that are connections too, and you're Replicant, Like you go to the desert in automaal and the machines in the desert are wearing the masks and wearing the capes, and they have the face paint of the people of Facade, which is the desert area, and your Replicant, and there's also a side quest in there that is where the machines are exactly replicating the the culture and the practices of Facades. So if you play Near Replica, you know that the that the people of Facade have a they're governed by rules, and they have like hundreds of thousands of rules, and it's kind of it's kind of a parody about you know, overburdens of laws and rules and regulations in a society and also the shit, but the machines are are imitating that in a way that's like that's a direct connection, Like holy shit, like I didn't, I wouldn't. You would never know about that connection and if you hadn't played Replicant. So I'm expecting a lot more things like that. But just to straight off the bat, I think so I haven't I think about I think about Near a lot I have since I played Automat in twenty seventeen, But I think now I have a much I have a lot more life experience, I have a different level of emotional maturity, and I pay attention. I'm paying closer attention to smaller things now because back when I played in twenty seventeen, it was okay, I'm going to finish this game in a span of four or five days for Game of the Year. Oh shit, this game is like one of my favorites in recent memory. But in doing so, you kind of get lost in the sauce a little bit, and like the finer details, kind of you're likely to miss the finer details, especially if it's a first experience in a particular franchise. So this time around, I'm picking up everything. I'm taking it slow. I'm doing a much many more, many more side quests. I'm talking to all the NPCs. I'm not trying to rush through the game like I did a decent chunk of side quests back then. But now it's kind of like I'm I'm taking my time because I want to, and the finer details matter a lot more to me. So yeah, that's it's been a really weird experience in that regard, but it's it's the only thing that I can do, Like, that's the only thing that's gonna that's gonna fulfill me in this moment. And so yeah, And I've listened to the soundtrack so so much so now I'm hearing those songs play again now and it's like, oh, this motherfucking song, like let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It's yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Something to replay that game, and in a very very different context. I think that, like I said before, like Near Replicant is kind of this this tent pole game for me, where like I can, like I understand myself a little bit better afterw having played that game. And then so with that mentality in mind, I think that I have I have a different, if not better, understanding of what Automata is trying to say or at least how that game makes me feel. It's a lot more complex in that regard. So before it was like Yo, sad sexy robots. Oh damn, this is this This shit's sad kind of philosophical, but I feel like, yeah, it's sad sexy robots, but it's a lot more personal. I feel like this experience is very it's a very personal experience. So yeah, that's that's what I've been up to, and that's what I would continue to do, because damn, that's just like yo, men will literally not go to therapy and instead play sad video games.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, sometimes sad video games are are better than therapy. I mean, you know, but I'm not not not going to get therapy. It's just you know, that's just low key expensive. Yeah, so you know, is my therapy.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, I think that a little probably a little bit after this podcast goes up, I'll have my interview. I have recently interviewed Yoko Tara for his his press rounds for Near Replicant. This fool, this wool pulls up to the Zoom meeting and it's like squarreenis it's like the translator the squaren xpr from US and Japan. And this fool pulls up and his Zoom avatar is Kermit the Frog, like an animated an animated Kermit the Frog that animates when he's talking, and like his his head movement so like I can tell he's like gesturing and moving around as I see the Kermit the Frog neck like stretch and his mouth open, and I'm asking questions like yo, yeah, telling me about Kaye, telling me about a meal, telling about like your design philosophies and all this, like you make it sad video games? Like what does that say about you? And I'm looking at this goddamn Kermit the Frog avatar? Tell me about human existentialism, and I think it's like the Funnies shit, because so on brand for him, say, I feel like that it.
Speaker 3: Has to be that way. That's the most It's the only way cannon Wait could play out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like he's not gonna wear the emal helmet on on a zoom call.
Speaker 1: So what's the next?
Speaker 3: The next best thing?
Speaker 1: Kermit the Frog? You know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, Yo, this this fool God damn dude. That's one of my favorite memories of Game spot with you is when we got to uh do the Yokatara interview for Let's play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like did a little let's play and and then like we were very professional. We were like, Okay, we're gonna be very professional about it. And then like after it was over, we were both like, oh, could you sign our copies? Like we just immediately like switched to like fanboy, like yeah, oh can we get a photo?
Speaker 2: And oh yeah that was so funny. I remember that exactly because we brought our copies of the game to have them sign. And the funniest ship too with that was like he he he went on a lot about why he like doesn't like making public appearances, and I think he's he said as much in like past interviews, but he kind of reiterated a lot of that when I.
Speaker 1: Talked to him.
Speaker 2: But yeah, in that Let's play, if you'll watch it, it's like he he's he's like present in on camera during the during the intro wearing the meal helmet, but he can't wear it like the entire time. So what ended up happening is TAKEI Satauta from Platinum, who is uh who is also on the Less Play, would anytime, and then Yo Katar was off camera speaking into a microphone, and then Tatasan would just like move the move the meal helmet. When when Yo Katar was talking and I thought, I was like the cutest ship ever, Like, oh God, I love it, and the thing is like that Let's play. I was like wild nervous because I was still new to hosting, Like at that point, I had only been doing scripted things, and I'd been on like a couple episodes of The of the Lobby at that point, but I'd never done like here is a well he's live to tape, but here's like a you are doing let's play with a big name developer. Two of them. Actually you're on your own, have fun, and like shouts out to Mike Maharty for the boy, Mike Mamharty for like letting me take up that opportunity because he was like, I think you would be better to do this, and I'm like, yeah, shit, say less man. But that was that was a huge learning experience and I'm really really thankful that I got to do that, even though you could tell like this like oh, he's feeling it, he's feeling it. But yeah, y'all should keep that. I still think about that to this day. That was one of the coolest things I've been able to do. So yeah, near Man, y'all should y'all should play that?
Speaker 4: And I have not played any near I apologize, But should I start with Automata? Should I start with Replicant? And now the replicants a thing because it came first in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's I've been getting that question a lot through folks on Twitter, which is really good question. I hadn't really thought about it until recently. So what I'll say is that I think Near Automata is the better will have leave first timers with the better impression, especially gameplay wise, So and also it's on game Pass and you could probably cop it for about like thirty bucks maybe, so it's it's it's cheaper as well. So I would in that regard, I would recommend near automotive. But I think that replica like it also depends on what you're looking for, because I think replicant is such as a stronger emotional This is a high bar too, because near automatave is a strong emotional hook too, but it takes time to get there, whereas near replicant will grab you story wise and emotionally like like off the rip, like it's very you'll get to those, you'll feel that a lot sooner. Because the thing about near automotive is that it builds towards that and like kind of leaves that breadcrumb trail to then hit you towards the end, whereas near replicants like, here are the characters, here's who they are, here is their personality straight up, and then now this this band of misfits is fucking shit up. So I think that so I would recommend your replicant if that's more of your vibe, or if that's more of what you're looking for. I would also recommend Replicant first if you're already set on playing both, because the connections that you will make are or the Yeah, going from replicant to automative, I think that there's you'll get more, you'll get a little bit more out of it, and that like the references especially, So.
Speaker 1: I would go fifty to fifty. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would maybe try automative first. See if you're vibe with it, you probably will. But yeah, replicant is what or what you would what I would, what I did, or I would recommend people's play automatave because it's a better impression, then play Replicant, then replay automat and then.
Speaker 1: Start to make those connections. I see you play as.
Speaker 2: Shit three times, you know what I'm saying, including all the other playthroughs that you gotta do.
Speaker 3: Then you go hit up all three dragon Guards because you're in too deep and there's.
Speaker 2: No hopeful I'm gonna I'm gonna lets I'm gonna do, I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: Uh let's play stream of Dragon Guard three. Got a daddy near.
Speaker 3: I miss a flipping coffee dad's voice.
Speaker 2: Uh so, yeah, I do too.
Speaker 3: I mean I also miss his attitude. Uh looking back at some of the line differences, Yeah, uh, it's it's bigger than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if y'all are familiar, like maybe we talked about this a little bit already, but the original Near had the father main character, and he's voiced by Jameson Price who's Sodirosakra. But also, uh, it's a very it's a very different vibe because like brother Near is like your he's like your kind of shy ish boy, your anime boy, your shy anime boy, and then he eventually grows up into being your your your anime boy with an attitude. But then with Daddy Near, he's just like striped, like an old tired dad. He doesn't have time for anyone's bullshit, but he ends up being like he has like the heart of Gold sort of thing where he's like, ah, I'm tired.
Speaker 1: Of this bullshit, but I'll help you anyway.
Speaker 2: And he has some really really good lines and delivered extremely well. I think he fits into the mold like really really well in terms of like the group dynamic, because they're all they're all so they're all so different, and like I think Daddy Near stands out more within the group, whereas I feel like brother Neir is more of like an avatar for you.
Speaker 1: To project yourself, whereas Father Near is his own character in many ways. I remember that being such a like a big point for like critics at the time when that game came out, Like people were like like who were like huge anime fans or maybe were like a little tired of certain anime tropes, were like really liked like Daddy Near as like a character because he felt like so fresh and different. And I think there's like one reviewer in particular who is like talking about like just like yeah, like I love that, Like there isn't some like spiky haired, whiny emo boy as a protagonists in this game. Everyone in the comments was just like well, actually, I mean yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm because I've I've only I'm still working my way through Replicant right now, and I can see some points from when I played the original Near that could be different because of being not dead Near, and I'm excited to see that stuff. But man, uh, speaking of voice actors, because I played it so long ago when I was dumb and never like registered and stuff. Whenever I hear Grimore grimwore of Weis's talk. I can't not hear uh Illogan, storm Rage or Akahiko anymore. Oh yeah, uh that's really.
Speaker 1: Messed me off for uh Ocera.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The voice actors are wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, the performance like near replicant. I like when I look back and listen to the banter between them when you're when you have the full group, it's it's it's incredible, Like this is near sound like the it sounds so natural, and everyone is like an extreme version of whatever character they are, Like Kaye is fucking off the rails, Grimmar Wess is sassy at shit, and Emil is just like the most wholesome boy. So they're they're they're on the ends of their own spectrums so much so that they that they're just like it's like no other game. I don't think many other games have like this sort of group dynamic where everyone is like so vastly different but works so well together and shouts out to shouts out to the voice actors who read like they redid their lines and like the original one is still extremely good, but redoing it has that the extra edge that you that you want out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's because I got to compare a little bit in the in the uh graphics comparison that we did, and Uh, there are definitely some cases where like when when they redo lines, you could tell like either like their heart's not in it or they maybe like forgot how to like do that character and like it doesn't quite have the same punch sometimes, but not the case in this like it felt like it felt like, Okay, these these voice actors like still know like how to deliver these characters. Which yeah, like you said, it's just a testament to them, Ben, I feel you on the Persona thing. I'm I'm that guy who like because like Persona is like all just like a lot of very prominent voice actors who do a lot of like Jerrpugs and anime, but because Personas like one of like the the like formative games for me, I just like compare all those voices to those. I'm that guy who's like this is a lot like Persona. It's so it's like, all right, Kane, like that's just Resay, Like gramar Vice is just Akihiko Boyner, that's just Yoske. Like I'm just I can only hear Persona characters. Please help me.
Speaker 4: I'm the exact same way with PERSONA five characters. I'm like, yeah, like, oh, that's uh, that's On and that's Regi and that's so Jiau. Same thing.
Speaker 1: There is more ghana I heard recently in a game. I forget what it was, but I remember just being like, is that more ghana? Is that more ghana?
Speaker 2: I love Cassandra le Morris so much. She's one of my favorite. My top three voice actors are Laura Bailey, Cassandra le Morris, and Aaron Fitzgerald. Those are that's that's those those that's my top three. And uh so Cassandra Le Morris is Operator six oh in Near Automata and Operator six oh is so oh. I need to think of that, Like Operator six O is the wildly emotional one who's all up in two b's ear about about her crying about her life or whatever, and it's yeah, it's she's great. And that aspect of Near Automat also fucked me up. It was like, because now I I know the story, so a lot of the a lot of the aspects, like the emotional aspects of like the androids robot stuff. It's just it's it's unsettling in a weird way. But yeah, that's of shouts out the voice actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just bug Snacks. She was in bug Snacks. Oh yeah, that's one of the bug Snacks. I was just like, that's just that's morgana. It's Morghana.
Speaker 4: There's a the girl who works at Survive Bar with Solid Snake. That's also Cassandrale Morris. And that took me forever. I was like, I know this voice. I was like, I know this voice, and then I was like, oh, okay, that's more Ghana. I get it.
Speaker 1: If you would play the English version of Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sorry, this is seven, the English dub of like It Like a Dragon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, speaking of voice actors, I think the last thing I'll say is I also been watching Yaske, which is the new Netflix anime about the historical black samurai from like sixteenth century. It's that just came out. I just I just started watching it this morning. So yeah, it's directed by and produced and made by Lashawn Thomas, and the main voice the main I've been watching. Yeah, I've been watching the English dub because it's I mean, it's I think that there was a lot of effort put into the English voicing, but also because Lashawn Thomas American. So also from from the Bronx b X all day Oh ship actually hit my mic, but yeah, it's h I'm still getting into it still early on. I'll probably have more things to say about it later, but it is. It's fascinating because Lakeith Stanfield, who y'all y'all may know from from uh was what's that one movie he did that was really weird with the horses and ship, uh kind of low key spoiling Sorry to Bother You?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sorry to Bother You?
Speaker 2: And he was also in Judas in the Black Messiah as well as many other things too. But Lakeith Stanfield is incredible. He embodies this character extremely extremely well, and I'm excited to see where it goes. But yeah, still only spend more time with it. It's also it's animated by Mappa.
Speaker 3: Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: So in the soundtrack by Flying Lotus y'all, Fly Low oh my. He incorporates like a lot of traditional jazz Andese instrumentals, but if you know, fly Low Fly Loo does a lot of like ethereal trip hop and it's it's such a unique thing. I'm excited to watch this through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Ben keep that animate train going.
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess I was also playing near in between doing a whole bunch of other stuff, so I can kind of just bounce off of that a little bit and be like, Yeah, here's really good. I'm excited because I never really got around to finishing the game originally, so this is my kind of chance to to get back in there and do it again. But really liking it. It's still got music that makes me feel emotions, it's still got characters that make me feel emotions, and I still remember how to do the fishing quests, and that's what matters. Because I've been for like the last two nights that I've been playing it, I've just been like, just I'll just knock the fishing quest out. I'm in the village. I could just go and grab the stuff from like do it really quick. It's never real quick, and I never get back to the story. I just keep fishing.
Speaker 1: How far are you?
Speaker 3: Not as far as I need to be? Okay, I haven't caught up to where I left off. I'll leave it at that, okay, but I'll get there because I'm also playing at the same time. Speaking of fishing, uh, Fantasy fifteen I started it up, and I'm I'm I'm in there and I'm doing that. I'm on that sweet, sweet car ride with my boys. We've got our cold Coleman camping equipment in the back of our.
Speaker 2: Car and your cup noodles on deck.
Speaker 3: Yeah from cup noodles. Ignus is making pizza every night because it gives me like a three stamina boost. I'm into that. Yeah, But that game is excuse me, it's a it's a nice kind of relaxed game. Like I don't I kind of kick back every time I play it. I don't. I don't feel like I like every other Final Fantasy game I've played, I've been kind of like forward and engaged in it the whole time. Like seven, I'm I was moving through and I was on the edge of my seat during the fights, and even with like twelve, even though it was the auto program everything and that, I was still kind of like, you know, doing whatever. This is between like the just riding in the car to go places while you're listening to old Final Fantasy music. It's real kind of laid back time. And I kind of appreciate that because like in between doing like video stuff, I can just be playing the game. I'll be like, oh, I need to go back down to like turning this quest I've done, because I again, I keep getting sidetracked by side stuff in games i'm playing because I'm just doing fishing and hunting in that all the time. But uh, I'll just set the car to go or I need to go, and then I'll turn around and do work, and then I hear them all'll be like, ah, We've made it, and I can just get back into playing whatever it's neat. I don't think I'm far enough in it to kind of like say much about the story, but I'm still excited to get to the cool stuff that happens in it. I want to fight Garuda in for the final Fantasy fourteen version. I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and a catgirl shows up at it. Yeah, I'm like, oh man, I can't. Why can't catgirls just be real? Is it too early to be talking about cat girls early?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to tell you. Yeah, oh man, Yeah, I like that game. I'm excited to play more when I have time, and I'm not playing another thing. But the thing that I've been dumping most of my time into is if Because of course, it's always it, uh and I can't stop playing it u though it's not like big new stuff though, it's just me still continuing to do Like we're on the last Savage version of the main raid set.
Speaker 1: Oh you're on now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That fights so much more in the Savage version than it is in the regular version, and I kind of really love it. This is how it always goes. But there's a whole other phase that adds story stuff and it kind of makes me think about how I wish kind of that they didn't put extra story stuff in the hard versions of the raids, Like what.
Speaker 4: Can you can you hit?
Speaker 1: Hint at what what that is?
Speaker 2: Because I'm curious and I don't think I'm gonna I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say who it is. But you literally fight an entirely different boss oh ship like you do the regular fight up to a point and then big character comes down and then you fight them al to Mesia.
Speaker 1: There you go, Thancrid Prime.
Speaker 3: Oh flipp I love the flippant the Savage version of the Dank because it's just it's chaotic all over the place, all our time, and there's no downtime between stuff. But anyway, approshudn't talked too much about about raid things because there are a lot of people who probably just like, this is done what you're.
Speaker 4: Doing, but uh you, I love your passion. I just I've never played the game, so I have no idea, like Fancred.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: I love it? Keep going.
Speaker 3: But outside of that, I've actually taken it upon myself to embrace the PvP uh in ZIV, which is not something normal people do. It's not it's not it's not great coming from like Warcraft or any other game with PvP. It's it's it's interesting, it's not like unplayable, but it's it's not the best. But there's a really cool set of armor that I can get if I continue doing like ranked arena stuff and if I get to be in the top one hundred on the data center, I win it. So I'm going to be beating people up until the end of whatever part of the season we're in and hope that I get that armor because it looks neat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I touched PvP once then I was like, because I wanted to get like extra tomestones. Yeah, because the only thing left that that gave me like hello tomestones and before to upgrade, like before the reset, and I was like, what the fuck is this? Yeah, what the fuck am I doing? I was running around and people were like, hey, you're supposed to be at point D. I'm like point dse nuts, Like, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.
Speaker 3: They went this weird route where they're like, let's not do like capture the flag or a game mode that inherently makes sense when you step like into wherever you're at. Let's do a giant fifty V fifty V fifty where you have to randomly grab points that are worth random amounts of points. And also when you kill people, you steal points from them. But also if you don't die when you're killing people, it makes you stronger. It's just there's a lot going on, and.
Speaker 2: You have a different you have a different action, you have a different move set. Also in PvP, you do what a fuck a lot of.
Speaker 3: Cool things with that layout, Like I love that your combo attacks are all on one button just moves one to the others the next time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 3: PvP is is fun with friends. I think you we used to bring like a whole group of like eight people in at one point and just kind of be like, let's run it and try to win stuff because there's a lot of cool awards in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I've just been doing doing a lot of raids stuff, doing a lot of PvP stuff, running the near raids because you have to run all of them again to upgrade your gear. And that's where I've been at with that. Play ZIV. It's a good game.
Speaker 2: Final Fantasy fourteen, not not Civilization.
Speaker 3: You can play SIEV too, but definitely play Final Fantasy fourteen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh right, moving on to Evan, You've been playing another big game that is out this week. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been playing the other hot new game, Snap Pokemon New. Where you photograph that you character?
Speaker 1: Why did you type it like that in the sheet?
Speaker 4: This is backwards Snap Pokemon New New Pokemon Snap.
Speaker 3: I thought this was going to be a judgment show. I was ready for the judgment show.
Speaker 4: I'll get judgment next. But yeah, so before I say anything, you should read our review on GameSpot dot com by Janney. It's very very good, very good. She gave an eight out of ten. She took the approach that like she played the original when she was a kid, coming back to it, full disclosure. From my point of view, I only played the original for the first time like a month ago in preparation for coverage of New Pokemon Snap. I'll be completely honest. I was rather disappointed by this game. I felt it was a little too rooted in the original Pokemon Snap. It tried too hard to kind of mimic what that game was, and for a game that came out twenty two years later on much more powerful hardware, I felt they could have done a lot more with it. The story in that game is like paper thin, and it does not conclude in any meaningful way. The whole game is presented like a visual novel style, with like two characters kind of standing there in front of textbox, and they do this, but it's like, I feel like it's Pokemon. It's one of the biggest franchise in the world. They couldn't do more than just like the same four animations over and over again in front of a textbox. There are some animated cut scenes, they're very few and far between, and there is some voice acting, but it only happens sometimes.
Speaker 1: Not all the time.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm gonna interrupt you. This is a very important question. I need you to answer it, please, Does Professor Oaks still say wonderful whenever you do a really good picture?
Speaker 4: Professor Oak's not in this game. It's a new professor.
Speaker 3: Does the professor say wonderful? I need to hear someone say wonderful and a really weird voice.
Speaker 4: No, he's I mean, he does have like little quip. He doesn't say wonderful, but he says little quips just like great job and.
Speaker 3: Like great job is good, but it'll never top the weird like wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not that that voice has a very distinctness to it, which I also love. But this guy's more, I guess, just regular. He's not really that interesting in anyway. I know it's very unfortunate, but yeah, they all have like like there's this character Rita, and she's like the typical like he he like yay and that's all she does. It's rather annoying after a while, but yeah, you know, the gameplay loop is just to take the photos. And I think the best way to summarize it is that if you looked at the trailers and you saw that gameplay and you were immediately sold, like yeah, you'll like this game. But if you looked at it and you're like, well, that looks interesting, but I want to wait and see if there's more. Like, no, there's nothing more. There's that's it. And I honestly found the gameplay loop pretty not fun after a while. It's the same courses over and over. And I made a video about this, which you I don't know if it's up yet, but it will be up soon whenever. This podcast well, I think goes up Friday morning. But the game is also very, very cryptic. The game does not do a very good job of telling you what to do to progress in the game. You'll like beat a level and then you'll just get like shot back to the menu, and there are certain things that you need to do to progress the game it doesn't tell you about, but then there are other things added later. It's really confusing, and I found myself, because you know, I played it before release, stuck so many times, and I was just like, what do you expecting me to do? Even in like the original Pokemon Snap, when you finished a level, like Professor Oak would give you a little thing being like if you get this many points, something cool will happen, or oh, if you hit this switch to unlock an extra path, something cool happen. This game doesn't do that. It's very very cryptic, and it adds all these different things over the courts of the game you wouldn't know what to do with. And I know Jenay had the same experience because we spoke about it. But yeah, I if you love the original, I guess and you want more of that, that's cool. But I mean, honestly, this is going to sound harsh, but like this could have been a GameCube game, like it could have been Pokemon Snap two on the GameCube. They didn't do a whole lot with it to make it take advantage of the switch hardware. It's still un rails. It's still like very preset levels with preset characters, and because all the characters are visual novel not animated most of the time, it's like, you know, you could do three D models on the GameCube. So yeah, I was rather disappointed by it. So that's kind of my take on it. You'll know if you want it is really where it is.
Speaker 1: Can I still go to my local Blockbuster and print out photos?
Speaker 4: No, unfortunately, but you can buy they're making that insta Stax printer. I forget the name of it, but making like they're making like it compatible with the switch. You can print your photos from your Pokemon Snap.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're right, Okay, that's actually kind of cool. Uh yeah, I'm I'm actually I'm still interested because uh I think there's just something about the like relaxing nature of the original Pokemon Snap that I want like listen into. I'm reading Jane's review, it's just like the the vibes of just like I'm just gonna take some cool photos at Pokemon. I'm like, yeah, I want to do that. I just want to hang out for an afternoon and take cool shots of Pikachu.
Speaker 3: And today I'm gonna get Pikachu on the surfboard again. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I remember as a kid, like you know, because because I didn't know to n sxfore, but I like over to a friend's house and play and like just like trying to like figure things out of like you know, like, oh, I heard if you throw this into like the you know, if you if you lead the Charmander over to like the volcano, he'll turn into like Char's ard and he'll like you know, come out and stuff. And like I just remember like cool shit like that, like you know, like just sparking my like imagination and like wanting to like poke at it and find all like the cool little things. And even though it's maybe hasn't evolved or like done anything new, like you said, like if it still captures that vibe, I think that'll be enough for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah that I should say, Like yes, like the actual gameplay of the Photography, like it's still pretty much the same and it's still like really good in that respect. The way the game kind of works this time is that you unlock additional research levels as you go through the levels, so you unlock a certain amount of points, and when you unlock new research levels, it gives you kind of like new versions of the levels, and that's where you find some of the cooler stuff with the Pokemon, Like that's where you find the higher level photos. So it's not like the original Pokemon Snap, where like there might be something hidden in a level, like you might have to unlock the next version of the level to find something like that. But yeah, I mean the Photography gameplay is still exactly what it was, and like the new stuff they added, like the like little glowy orbs they're they're kind of like the pester balls in the original game. They're very similar, but like, yeah, they add some new things in there, for sure, and that part's still fun. But even kind of like you said, like after a weekend or like after and afternoon, like it's up to you, I guess if you really want to keep going with it, it's there's not a lot there. You're just going through the same levels over and over and over and over and over.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, what else have you been playing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Evan hates Pokemon just like Howie hates Persona.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, Pokemon sucks.
Speaker 3: No, I mean no a.
Speaker 4: Pokemon's fine. No, the game is good. It's just I felt it was very bare bones and it felt very cheap in some areas, and for a game that's from one of the biggest franchises of all time, I felt they could have gone further with it. But it basically just does mimic the original a lot of ways. And if you like that, that's great. I mean, you get more of that, but anyways, I'll move on. I've also been playing the PlayStation five version of Judgment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you're talking.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, you can go check out on YouTube dot com, slash GameSpot or GameSpot dot com the video I did putting the two side by side. I know there's a lot of controversy around the lighting changes in that game, and I think I finished chapter two some like five or six hours into that game, So I think the biggest thing I'll not the biggest thing the way. What I'll take away from it is that the cut scenes I don't think look as good as the original because the original PS four version had a style to it, and I think that's lost in translation with the new lighting effects. But I think the gameplay looks a lot better when you're walking around Comrade Show in the day, Like the colors are really vivid and they pop and they look really nice. And the sixty FBS gameplay really helps too. So I think it's kind of a toss up where like I think the game plays very much improved, but the cut scenes kind of get lost in translation. But it also depends. I think like the cut scenes in the day look better than the cut scenes at night. I think some of the cut scenes at night look particularly dark. I've tried playing around with the brightness settings. I just can't find a good middle ground. Somewhere either like the brights look way too bright or the darks look way too dark. But you know, Judgment is still a fantastic game. It's not my favorite game in the Yakuza series. I think Judgment has it's a little slow at some points, and the tailing missions are not very fun, but I think the characters are fantastic. I played with the English dub, and I think the English dub like all the characters are matched extremely well to the people that they chose to voice the characters in English. And I guess the question is like, should you get the PS five version if you own the PS four version, I would say no, there isn't a free upgrade path and there's no reason to pay for the game again if you're playing it like on Stadia or Series X or S, definitely, And if you own a PS five and you're deciding which one to get, you might as well get the PS five version, cause I think they're both forty dollars at the same price. But yeah, that's kind of what I have to say to it, Like, there's no reason to pick a backup if you already play Judgment, But if you've never played Judgment, that's absolutely a good opportunity to do so. And I've only had the chance to play it in ten eighty because I don't own a four K monitor, but I'm sure it might look even better in four K.
Speaker 3: Is Judgment the only RGG game at Stadia?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, because the rest of them are the rest of the games are on PC like Steam.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was just say I didn't even think about that they have it on Stadia too, and that that's the only that's the only Yaka's an experience for the stadium people. Yep.
Speaker 2: Well you can search for it too on the search bar.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, thanks Google for adding a search bar.
Speaker 3: You go to their homepage. How many different things are there there? It's like two things. It's a logo in a search bar.
Speaker 4: I wonder, Yeah, I wonder if they had like a like an exclusivity deal or something like, you know, I'll put it on Stadia first, and then like maybe from a year from now they could put it on Steam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably like testing the waters. Yeah, there's interest on Stadia as well.
Speaker 4: But the nice thing about Judgment is it is its own entity. You don't necessarily need to play the other Octa games to know what's going on? So like, if it's not like a bad thing, if that's your Like if you own Stadia and you're like, oh, I'm gonna try Judgment. Do I need to play yakcauz this year two six? No you don't, so I think that in that sense, it's fine, But like, I don't know, I never really jumped on the Stadia train.
Speaker 3: Same, it's big.
Speaker 1: Same, damn there is there is a stadium train, believe it or not.
Speaker 4: Stadiums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I don't know if it's running really well, but it's there.
Speaker 2: It's it's existing search for things though, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're you love to see more more people get the chance to play a good video game.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, yeah. And I mean the other thing too, is like if you've never played Yakaza and you're interested in Judgment, you totally should jump into it. You do not need to play any of the other ones. You can and you should. But if you're like, oh, I really like the Detective Angle and maybe you prefer like the English job over the Japanese audio, like, yeah, totally go for it. Play Judgment.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Judgment also has the tightest pants in the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fact, yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just gonna throw that out there for anyone who's on the fence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, takkigamy has he has a sweet leather jacket and he's got some six skinny jeans aid acid wash skinny. And if y'all are into if y'all are into Japanese pop culture, you'll notice that he is modeled after Takakimura, who is a famous actor in Japan. And uh, yeah, I love myself some Kimu taku.
Speaker 1: So fine, fine, man, yes, very much, all right. Uh, do you want to talk about your last game? Or oh?
Speaker 4: Okay? I didn't know if we wanted to skip it for time, but I'm happy to talk about it. It's up to you, guys, I guess, uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why don't you if you got something to say about it?
Speaker 4: Sure? So the last game I've been juggling amongst all the other releases right now, Shimma Gammi Tense three Knocked Her an HD remaster. Try saying that five times fast. The This is my first experience with the Shimmigammy Tense series because I've mostly just played the persona games. I was talking to Matt a Spinelli about it, who's our features editor here at GameSpot, and he was basically telling me, like, you know, if Persona is kind of like, let's go save the World, SMT is just very dark and just very like the world is ending and you have to deal with that, and it's very much that. Like the first thirty minutes of the game, you're just like, I'm gonna go meet up with my friends and they're like, all right, well, the world's ending. I was like, Okay, that's that's cool. I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you just by the way, you're gonna be a half demon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're like, you got to eat this parasite and become the half demon. And it's like, Okay, that's that's cool. I guess. You know. Uh, It's it's definitely a departure from Persona in that sense, just the vibe of it. But I do really like it so far. It's definitely a two thousand and three PS two game in its roots. But the one thing I do really want to talk about, which I found really interesting, is that for the HD remaster release, they added a merciful difficulty to make the game a lot easier for modern players. And I started the game on Normal, and I played it for a while and at one point, like I died and I went really far back, and I got really frustrated. So I was like, Okay, I'm going to try the easier difficulty and see what it's like. And it's a huge difference. Like the game is way too easy at that point. You can basically just hit the auto button and just breeze through most of the I think there's just too big of a gap between Merciful and Normal, Like if you're playing Normal, you might be in for a little bit of a challenge, but if you play on Merciful, it's a little too easy. I turned it down to Merciful, and I've been kind of like breezing through the game. I was like, should I turn it back up at this point?
Speaker 3: So this is this is an interesting thing that for me I didn't realize until like a little while ago. But there are a lot of RPG fans out there who don't like doing the combat, and it seems like such a simple thing to like know about. But I didn't realize like what extent it was too until I was talking to my roommate about it, because I'd recently started playing j RPGs, and I'm like, yeah, I really like kind of working stuff in persona. I like being smart, Like, ah, they're afflicted with fire, use win do bonus damage. It's neat, right, And he's like, you know, I don't want to waste my time with any of that. I just want to do the social stuff and see the story and get out. And it sounds like that mode is less of a curving the different occulty and more of a thing to appeal to the people who are just like I just want to get my story and not worry about doing the combat, which could be a good or a bad thing.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's the way I kind of see it too, is that like it's a long game, and if you're just mostly looking for the story, like you said, like, this is a great opportunity to just like truly experience just the story, You're not like, well, do I have to commit sixty seventy eighty hours to this game. I don't know how long it is because I haven't finished it yet, but I know we'll only talk about like an early part of the game. But yeah, it's it's it's a little too easy. But yeah, I mean for people that just want to experience a story. This is great. This is a great opportunity to play this game and just truly get through the story. And I know there's I know there is multiple endings in that game. So this is also a good way too to just like, oh, I want to experience all the endings. I can go back and just kind of breathe through those ending sections again if I don't know when you necessarily start the path towards any different ending, but I would assume it's a lot easier this way.
Speaker 1: Well, right on, all right, Well, I guess time to move on to our topics for the week. All right, and we're back with topics. We do not have that much going on, but there is one thing that appeals to all of us here, and that is that related to what Evan was talking about earlier. Judgment. Uh, there has been a tease for Judgment Day, which is not Terminator too related, damn it less unless where you gotta go too's getting getting the terminator license.
Speaker 2: Yes, terminator and wow, love to see it.
Speaker 4: Make it like a dead soul's or you just like kill a bunch of terminators.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, they've they've they've done like that before. They could, I think it would fit. It turns out Modum has been a terminator the whole time.
Speaker 3: But no, this is a teas for May.
Speaker 1: It's just called Judge Day, and uh, they're they're pretty cagy on what it's about. Obviously it's got something to do with Judgment the video game, because I think on the actual website itself they show like footage of Judgment and you can see like an image of Commerci in the background. They're we're not sure what it is yet, but a lot of people are speculating that it is a Judgment too, mainly because it's still rated pending at the bottom. And if this was something like a Judgment, you know, like Steamport or something like we were saying, they would hopefully be rated. Also, it'd be kind of weird if they like just put out the game on other platforms and then make like a whole big deal out of a day thing just to announce like a Steam version like that'd be super weird. So it's probably something bigger.
Speaker 3: Say. The The other big tip off that it probably is a sequel to is they've had that contest going on every day where you retweet this tweet that they put out and it enters you in for a contest and they tweet you back saying if you want or not, And each one always has like a small, like six second clip in it. And I don't know how many like yakasa people you guys follow on your Twitter timeline, but I see like eight or nine of these a day. There are videos in those clips that don't exist from regular judgment. There are completely new scenes that we've never seen before. So take that however you want.
Speaker 4: I guess it's interesting too because in those at the end of each video it gives you like like a letter and a number thing, and the ones that are from supposedly the new game or a bunch of asterisks, so it's like they're definitely teasing something there.
Speaker 3: Things removed they're dangerous, too hot to handle Judgment day.
Speaker 1: That figured since we're all here and we're big, we're big Yakaza fans, we're big Judgment fans. I just wanted to talk about what we would like to see out of a judgment too, Like what are you guys like hoping for both like story wise, mechanically, Yeah, you got something, Ben, I want.
Speaker 3: I want Yaga Ko to go and clear out ghost gaunted houses together. Okay, all right, I want them to bust ghosts like they bust all of the bad gangsters and people on the streets. Where's this coming from, the fact that they've got just a really good dynamic And someone mentioned it to me at one point, and I really think that the dynamic would work really well as like a ghostbusting.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm into it of detectives, and I want that more than most things.
Speaker 1: I want, uh no, more tailing emissions please? Yeah? Oh yeah, definitely that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I don't know, this is kind of a I guess a soft answer, but like I would just want more judgment. I think that the way that the story unfolded in the original, and like how it was like this unfolding mystery until you eventually got to this point where like everything tied back together, I thought was just like really well done for a detective mystery. And I was like, yeah, just give me another one of those, just give me more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was even surprising for a Yakuza game, where you you sort of expect expect that kind of shit, but like the the the big reveals and like the true nature of what was happening was. I think they did a really good job of keeping it kind of keeping it still mysterious. Even by the time that you see all the information, you're kind of like, oh wow, I didn't I didn't see that. So but yeah, I think that definitely definitely hit hit hit that kind of thing again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, total.
Speaker 3: I think, uh, realistically, i'd also kind of want to see I mean, realistically, of course I want to go stuff always, but realistically I think I want more uses of using evidence you find till I can deduce things. Because I was like, we're gonna get put into like court cases, I'm gonna be able to like yell things, Phoenix rite status. It's gonna let me do all the schools. And there's like one time when you get to do like some questions a in a courthouse and I was like, that's okay, I guess this is fine and need to do it, but I want I want that.
Speaker 2: I definitely feel you on that because the most of that stuff was for bonus like experience points, but it didn't have an effect on the story. But I mean the way rgg's the their storytelling has never been about like branching paths, So I like, I would wonder how they would incorporate consequence of like whether or not you like if you maybe if you get different scenes. But I imagine they wouldn't want to or they I don't think they would do something where you get different results in the story. But maybe maybe that's something they're gonna try. That would be fucking dope.
Speaker 3: I'd imagine just do it like they do it and Doug and Rappa, where if you pick something, there's like three sentences where it's like, oh no, that can't possibly be it, and it makes you a choice again yeah, like Phoenix, right, and it's still Yeah.
Speaker 4: What if it's like Red Dead where it's like you could be a good detective or a bad detective and you liked on a.
Speaker 3: Slider bad detective yogamy, Yeah, you just beat up people and flipping what is it deer's in his sleep, which he got the evidence, but at what cost? My pants are too tight and my sight was too short?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like what if you know, at the beginning of the game, you're like looking for evidence on like camera, like if he did it, and then you know you talked like that. One guy's like, oh yeah, the security camera deletes every seven two hours. But if you're like beat him up, and it's just like you just beat you've become bad.
Speaker 3: Every dialogue option just has to beat him up option. Yeah, in the middle of questioning someone and you're like, I had it with this, just punch.
Speaker 2: It's like you're on the verge of just breaking through with new evidence, like actually, you know what, I've had enough of this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be jazz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then like you know, maybe like uh, you know, like at one point, Will like ditch. He's like I don't like who you've become, and like you're left on your own and.
Speaker 2: The battles are harder because you don't have your partner. Yeah, why you know what I'm saying, that's that sounds like a difficult development task.
Speaker 4: But you know what, Yeah, that's true. I'm fine with just another straight narrative. More judgment, give me more judgment, me.
Speaker 2: Too, combat systems dope. I really I really like how Yogamy functions in comment because he's so acrobatic, so doing the flying kicks and all that shit. I'm like, yeah, well, these are the vibes right here. But also I'm like, yo, they're gonna get They're gonna get Takyo Kimia again, like that foils. I imagine that was kind of an expensive thing because his likeness is not cheap. I'd imagine that boy is. He's like one of the most popping actors in Japan, so they could bring him. I mean obviously gonna bring back Yagamy. I don't know if they have like a lease on his likeness the lease, Yeah, I have a lease on his likeness. There's there's also another there's also like there are I mean, the Yakus has done this before, but they use.
Speaker 1: The likeness of a lot of Japanese actors. Yea, they like I forgot his name.
Speaker 2: I think it's ah the the your your boy who's also a he's kind of a dirty detective, but he's super health.
Speaker 1: You mean judgment, Yeah, because he did a bad thing.
Speaker 2: No, that was that's homor yeah later replaced also that whoever that was our Pierotoki. He didn't really do a bad thing. He had definitely has some coke and it's like, ah, fuck, y'all got me. I hate see it, but yeah, Abe, like he's also a Japanese actor. He's in the he's in the show that I'm watching called Oral Boros, which is basically a live action version of Judgment. Really, so that's that's pretty dope. It's like, Oh, because I watched that show, I'm like, that is a guy from Judgment.
Speaker 3: I know him.
Speaker 2: He's playing the same type of character as well. He's like the slightly suspect but dirty detective who has who's doing the right thing?
Speaker 1: Uh So that that's that's my guy.
Speaker 3: Wasn't.
Speaker 4: The reason there wasn't karaoke in Judgment was because like paying for like that that actor who did yagam to like sing would have just been like way too expensive, so they didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's he's like a legit performer room so probably no karaoke because I say it's like bring karaoke back?
Speaker 3: Is a real performer. Have you not listened to his actual band?
Speaker 2: But he is grandfathered in because he is the face, he is the voice of the franchise.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're right, but also I don't want to downplay that that man, yes makes shit happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree with all you guys. I think the big thing I would like to see outside of like yeah, like more you know, like courtroom stuff more like decision making and the investigation stuff would be I mean, I would hope that they would expand outside of Comrocho. Like you know, Judgment took place entirely in there, and I think it worked very well for that that story. But I would love to see them branch out. I mean, this might be out of rgg's wheelhouse because they do kind of just sort of like kind of like urban metropolitan areas. But if you want to do like a, hey, we're going to head to like a small countryside town with like a murder mystery happening, you know, maybe like or some kind of ship going on, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, have RGIG make deadly premonition O.
Speaker 2: A A A then then literally.
Speaker 1: Like a small town. I'm like, murders.
Speaker 4: York.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we've abandoned.
Speaker 1: Him, Damn York and Yakami.
Speaker 4: What if you can go to Yokohama and there's a side quest where you can help a certain yakuza and his gang of RPG players.
Speaker 1: Of the Budding Businessman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a holdings company.
Speaker 2: Holdings Company is was caught for tax evasion.
Speaker 3: I needed to get him out.
Speaker 1: I fully expect there to be a there's got it. They got to do some sort of crossover, right, Like I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I know, I know Judgment they were trying to like make it separate. But yeah, maybe now that like like a dragon is also taken off in the West, maybe they'll be like a little cute thing in the corner not or something right like, yeah, because there's are there any outside of just comorocho, Like, are there any references to Yakuza games in Judgment?
Speaker 2: Total clan is right, yeah, but you don't need to know about the there's a isn't there a sub sub sub story with.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: And they make a they make a cure you joke where they're like, oh, the last guy, you know, he had big shoes to fill, and you know is like, oh man, that sounds really hard. I don't know if I'd be able to live up to that guy. And it's like.
Speaker 2: You got you got the fish pouch and the cute fisher boots.
Speaker 1: For any fisherman. Yeah, soup hat yet.
Speaker 4: I the p S five version of Judgment, I would imagine the others have all the d l C from the PS four version, so like you get all these little statues of like onometio and like Harka on stage and I put them around Yogamy's office and dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if you guys mess with the DLC for that game much, but they make Yogamy dance and then he gets health back, and it's my my favorite implementation of like a DLC healing item i've ever seen, Like they actually cut out parts from uh the best one is from a Oh God, why can't I think of the name? Am awful Majima's best song to karaoke.
Speaker 1: And over the over the top, to the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their actual dance dance moves cut out of twenty four Hours Cinderella that you can make Yogamy do with the healing items. You can literally make him in the middle of the street just like do a like a front flip and then wiggle his finger like the finger ship and it's it's wonderful. If you have the remastered version, please don't sleep on checking out those items. Uh yeah. Also another thing that they should get in judgment to. It's gonna be real difficult. I'll probably take a lot of hours of dedicated work and and and making sure it's fine tuned and everything is great. But I want more Kao shirts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want Kao shirtless.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, he's next Tojo guy. He's got to get his shirt off all the time.
Speaker 2: Did he ever take a shirt off in judgment?
Speaker 3: Maybe we need more shirts for Kaido to wear so we can rip them off more.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, then your Ben is Ben's on points well go.
Speaker 3: I literally rolled out of bed into my chair for this podcast.
Speaker 4: I've always loved when they like pull like the suit jacket and the shirt off just by doing one single arm motion and everything just comes off in one sweep. You don't have to like take the jacket off and then pull up the shirt.
Speaker 1: It might be uh, I might be giving away a good idea here, but I've always wanted to make a montage of every single time they do that.
Speaker 3: I was literally about to say the best Yaka shirt ripoffs, because.
Speaker 2: That's like a thirty minute video.
Speaker 3: I mean there's good ones with him also, like you can put in there. There's also in the middle because the six were like here you rip your shirt off and has a wet suit on underneath with a snorkel.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you put that one in there.
Speaker 3: Uh. It's also just like the one in uh judgment at the beginning when he rips off his homeless person outfit and just his beard and everything is gone.
Speaker 1: It's he's got sweet leather jacket and skinny gan. It's like, Wow, this fool is wearing layers.
Speaker 4: That's what I was thinking of, because that's when I asked, like, did Kait not take his shirt off? It was that scene when y'all gi me pulls off his homeless personal because I knew they did that in the game. I knew he did that arm motion. I just didn't remember when.
Speaker 2: I gotta use that animation for God Juice, that animation for all you can r.
Speaker 1: Gg way, nothing wasted. All right, We're gonna move on to some listen air question. Okay, so if you want to give a send us a listener question, you can hit us up at after Dark Podcast at redventures dot com, or you can join our lovely discord. We have a channel there where we people can submit questions. If you want to join our discord, you can always hit me or Lucy James up on Twitter. I'm at John Lake Psyche and Lucy's at Lucy James Games. All of our questions today come from our lovely discord. I'm going to start with the first one. We're gonna try and hit a couple that we weren't able to hit last week, as well as some new ones. This is from Trilins, who says, do you have a controversial, controversial remake slash and next gen version of a game that is your way to play the game instead of the original? I e. Metal Gear Solid three came out on PS two, but you could play it on three DS.
Speaker 3: I have opinions about both of those games.
Speaker 1: Particular, Okay, I want to hear that.
Speaker 3: Uh Meddle Gear Solid three on the three DS is even though it lets you crouch walk for like the first time ever in the entire series.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it like borrows from like four, right, It's like it did, looks like it. Yeah, I think it came out after four. I think it came out after four.
Speaker 3: Either way, it's great you can crouchwalk and Meddle You're Solid three, But that game is inferior to every other version of Metal You're Solid three because it is a three D game where the main character is stereo blind, and that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: I say it.
Speaker 3: I say it all the time in the office it's my go to joke for it, and I have to say it on the podcast because it's just the thing that I do, and I'm sorry, but you can't do that shit.
Speaker 2: God damn, this has got opinions anyway.
Speaker 3: I hope the delivery worked for that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, it's good, yes, yes, excellent. I'm actually kind of struggling to think of like a controversial version of a game I play.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is controversial, but the first thing that came in my head was ape Escape on the Loose, which is the PSP version of the original ap Escape. I've never played the original ape Escape, but I was also talking to Matt Spanley about this and he was talking about how like the voice acting is a lot better in the original than the PSP game, and I was just like, well, I just know the PSP voice is better. So I don't know if that's considered controversial, but that's one where it's just like, I like the PSP version a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe for Twin Snakes. Anybody no played it.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: Twin Snakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, played the ps one version.
Speaker 3: We I love that we actually managed to play through that whole thing. In the office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a good time.
Speaker 3: It was a very good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twin snakes, it's worth experiencing. But I don't know if it's better.
Speaker 3: The real messed up thing is I've I realized during that playthrough that my memory of lines that I quote is from that version of the game and not the original, because I've played it so much, so I'm more of here quoting the one that I like less.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is a tricky one, but I feel like we've talked about this many times before, but Persona three Portable might be the I don't know if I I reckon God damn it, Persona three Portable only if like only to play the female main character, because she's she's the best Persona protagonist, But you lose obviously, we've talked about how you lose the sort of the presence because you can't you don't walk around in the cities and all other stuff. You kind of lose that, and that's one of the best aspects is kind of living in that world and you just kind of move a cursor across a map instead, which doesn't hit the same But god damn it, if the female main character ain't the best in the series and the music that comes along with it. I would I'm so close to recommending Persona three Portable over any other version of Persona three, But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a good that's a good answer, because I feel the exact same way, and like I never know what to say whenever someone's like which version and I'm like, well, it's like do you have to you have you have? You have?
Speaker 4: You have a minute?
Speaker 1: Like can we sit down?
Speaker 3: We need that FBS remake with the with the lady protagonist in it, and then just ship that and then make that like never have to worry again.
Speaker 4: Make that like Strikers. So when you're going through uh, what's I forgot the name of, when you're going through Tartarisk, it's just Striker's gameplay because I started fast and like, man, tartarist is not fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'll you stick with it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I ended up putting it down because a Pokemon snap and judgment some T three. But yeah, it's like I like the story so far, but it was just like the gameplay loop. I was like, Nah, this is a that's in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should play it on easy. It's it's it's almost kind of like the the SMT three thing that you were talking about that normal is sometimes like you can you can beat it on normal.
Speaker 1: I play it on normal.
Speaker 2: It's fine, but there are some like really you might run into some roadblocks and some cheap uh gameplay elements, And I think that bumming it bumming it down the easy makes it a little too easy. But at the same time, I think Persona is such a Persona three is such a good story experience that I think that's the better way to go.
Speaker 4: Well, I also just hate that you can't control your party. Yeah, yeah, they do their own thing. It's just like, well, of course I'm gonna put it on easy, because if I put it on normal and they screw me over, I have no choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. Persona three is uh, it's it's got, It's got a lot of really cheap stuff in it. Thinking back on it, which I still love it the most, is still my favorite one that I've played.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also yeah, yeah, from a gameplay perspective that, yeah, you can control your whole party in Persona three portable.
Speaker 1: How about that that's true?
Speaker 3: What would that be like? Would be like if Mitsar didn't cast Mary Karen all the time, Karen, imagine.
Speaker 1: A damn all right, Michael, would you like to read the next one?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: God, damn this fucking question, Ken Levine said in a Ken Levine said in a cup clubhouse room. First off, First off, that is those are some wild words to start something off with Larry Fox thirty two, you are Wyland. But you know what, I'll read the rest of this question, Ken Levine said in the clubhouse room. I don't know why it's so funny to me that video game writers are graded on a car?
Speaker 3: What the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: Okay? Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Also, even with games celebrated stories like Last of Us, are they actually good or just good?
Speaker 1: For video games?
Speaker 4: I think you just need to look at Persona and Yakuza and you can already see that games can tell incredible stories.
Speaker 3: I don't know about it. It's clubhouse nonsense, but I'll tell you right out, flippid. Last of Us Part two wasn't even the best revenge story game that came out that year, and people slept on the real the real winner, which was Shark Game.
Speaker 1: Shark Game Man.
Speaker 3: Has a better revenge story than the Last of Us Part two? Will you do accept it?
Speaker 1: Did I will tell you the ending of Man Eater left me shook.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's one of the smartest, really most well written games I've played in so long, with so much to say, and it actually has a great revenge story that works out better than the last of Us Part two play Man Eater.
Speaker 1: That that came gets into this some like wild like uh like snarky, but just like on point, like messaging about like social social commentary, capitalism, the destruction of the environment.
Speaker 3: Profited off of shark fins. Go eat them off with a golf course, literally eat the rich, do it?
Speaker 4: Damn you know. It's I guess kind of a side tangent. But I went to like a preview event for Man Eater, like right before the world closed down, and it was like, I wasn't I didn't really get into it because it was just like the pressure of like being there and a bunch of stuff going on. But like I posted a gameplay clip of that. I think it did like a million views, and I'm like hearing you guys now that it's out say all these really nice things like maybe I misjudged it, Maybe maybe I should get another shot.
Speaker 3: You gotta look at it. Face value, it's not difficult to kind of dismiss the game where you play as a shark that gets electrical fins. You don't expect, you don't expect to have smart things come from that, but you should. It's good. It's good time.
Speaker 1: Damn, that's that's a good show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I would say I think I sort of just like naturally, like think this is a weird argument to have because to me, it's like it's not that they're graded on a curve, it's that, like I think just video game stories are naturally have to function and like be formatted differently, you know, like is sort of the thing they have to exist in their own medium. And like maybe where it's easier to draw that comparison is like when when a game is more like trying to aspire to be like a different medium in terms of its story without like properly taking advantage of like the medium of video games, because it's like you couldn't tell the story of PERSONA five in in like a in any other way. I think they try and tell it.
Speaker 2: You can't even tell it in an animal anime, doesn't it doesn't hit well.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe I would go that far.
Speaker 2: But like this, like the act of living in that world is a part of its story, Like you what the actions that you were doing with your controller in the way in which you interact with that world is storytelling. And that like like you said, it's it's not better or worse, it's different.
Speaker 3: Is a great example. But even more so, there are games like bring it back to to Near you literally can't do near in any other genre, like that ending in Automena. I can't speak for the stuff and replicate because I haven't gotten there obviously, but that that ending is not possible in a book, It's not possible in a film, it's not possible in a spoken traveling bard tale. You have to like actually play that and experience it and do it, and it can only be done that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's why I say that that your actions, your your own physical investment in it is a part of that storytelling because like it's asking it's asking you something that you built, something that you you you own, it's asking you to do something very drastic with it, and then once you do, then you get the Then you get that narrative payoff. Then you kind of realize what the game is trying to tell you what it's trying to say. So I think that, And I mean there are cases in which games try to be like movies, and I think that's fine, that's not necessarily like things that hit for me, and I think those things can be very well done, and we've seen that many times. But for me, it's like it's like the games that hit different, like like the Personas, like the Nears, like the Final Fantasy fourteens, because like Final Fantasy fourteen, the reason why you get invested in that world, like, yeah, it's a grand tale of like saving the world, but your personal investment in that and the like just the the way you interact and move with that world and the memories that you have of living in that world is is like that's how you get invested in its big moments. Those big moments matter because you live in that world.
Speaker 4: So it's just.
Speaker 2: I have I have no context for what Ken Levine said in a fucking clubhouse room, so I actually like, I can't really say anything about that. But yeah, this this the answer to this question goes well beyond whether it's stories. Game stories are good or just good for games. They're different and they are very powerful in their own right when they're done like correctly or when they're when they're done well.
Speaker 4: So and it's it's also like, because we were just talking about this with like Judgment, and like you know with RGG games, like would they do a branching narrative because they don't typically do stuff like that. I think those games like are on a very set cinematic narrative. All the cut scenes are framed extremely well. Sure, and that's a game that's like it very much is a movie in a lot of ways, but it still does it extremely well. I wouldn't, you know, like that's I think Judgment is one of the better detective stories I've seen, So in that sense, like I wouldn't I wouldn't be like, well, like you give Judgment a past because it's a video game, Like No, I think that game is incredible in its own right, and that game is a very set linear path that you go down to beat the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like so yeah, you mentioned like Yakuza being Yaka's is very much movie like, But for me, it's like the Yakaza is so unique because the things that you do in that game also are attached to the wide emotional spectrum that it hits like it's goofy as hell and it's very serious. So like when you've beat no Bad Dudes in a really silly manner, in the very serious moments, it's like it's just it just makes sense because it's a video game, and that's that's the the tone, the attitude, the ethos of Yakuza. And also I think maybe this just extends to Japanese media for me, but I've noticed that, like I gravitate towards Japanese media because they're very good about like stripping down kind of the They often strip down what you what we would think as subtext and just make that shit very apparent, so then you can like move beyond just like oh, figure out like what what characters really mean and what the story really means. Like we're gonna tell you straight up exactly what the character is feeling, what the story is. But in a way that's like a deconstruction of trying to be I don't know, trying to be cryptic with your storytelling, and then you really get to the core themes of what that piece of media is trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like with with with Yakuza, it's like I just I don't think it would it would be it would be good, like obviously, like I would enjoy it, but like it wouldn't hit if you were just like take all the cut scenes and put them together as like the movie.
Speaker 3: I've watched, it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: But you know, I go to but because for me, what makes yakas of work is like it is the ways it takes advantage of being a video game. Like the huge part of those games is like the environment is like the setting of Camarocho as like a character, and you get that by spending time in there, by walking around in there, and like it uses you know, the act of like exploring that space as a video game to endear you to that world and that setting and and kind of makes you feel the same way Cure You does about it, where you're like, ah, like you know, I can't stay away from this place, and you kind of get used to the town and all the different people and then stuff like side stuff like you can do like a Yakuza movie or even a TV show where it's like hey, in this episode, uh, you know, cre You's gonna go like to.
Speaker 3: The arcade, go to the arcade and do that, or he's gonna go for eight hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, it's gonna go do a whole cabaret club thing for like five the.
Speaker 3: Cabaret club arc and the yakas anime though let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: It would totally be all over the place. But I think, like, because it's a video game and you have that like established language of like this is side content and it can be weird and it can be different. Like video games have that established language that makes that work, and players kind of understand that, and so you're able to play with that and like be more weird and experimental in a way that you really couldn't if you're in a movie. It would just be like tonally a mess and all over the place. So like it's even though it is being very cinematic and movie like in a lot of its presentation with its cut scenes, I think it still uniquely takes advantage of the medium of video games to do interesting things with its tone and its narrative.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, Ken Levine, you're responsible for BioShock Infinite, So fuck.
Speaker 1: Out of here. Alrighty moving on, Evan, would you like to read the next one?
Speaker 4: Sure? I don't know how to say this person's name, but I'll read the rest of it. So I recently ended up using the body Recovery Squad services in Valheim and it was one of the best, most organized responses I have ever received when it comes to customer service. I suppose the question is have you ever had your appreciation of a piece of media increase after interacting with the fan base as opposed to the opposite, aside from the game spot after Dark Fans, And that was from Ian Chilada.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, that's a fantastic name.
Speaker 4: Perfect Well, thank you Ian for the question.
Speaker 1: I'm hunky, Michael.
Speaker 3: I feel like we might have a similar answer to this. I don't know if you want to say it like on a counter of three or something.
Speaker 2: All right, one to Final Fantasy fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you go first if you want to, oh.
Speaker 2: Sure, like Final Fantasy fourteen. I think that is for an MMO, it's intimidating. I've talked about this many times. Is that you know MMOs are intimidating. There's a lot of there's a lot to handle, and there's a lot of pressure, especially in a multiplayer setting that if you go into a dungeon or if you go into a boss fight that you need to know what to do otherwise you're gonna get a flamed by the people that you're playing with. Final Fantasy fourteen community is at least in our experience, like I'm not gonna say one hundred percent across the board because if you, if y'all ever use party Finder in the high level content, it's just a little different over there. But like to get through the main content, like to get to the core stuff of what Final Fantasy fourteen is, I've almost had like one hundred percent success rate in terms of having matching with people who are supportive or at least like if you fuck up, they're like, don't trip, it's all good. Fourteen has uh like it it's low stakes enough. But but like the community is like, oh, you're you're you're playing this game for the first time. Yo, welcome to like one of the best games ever. And that like people are react very positively to having new players rather than like, oh you're new, but whatever. Like when I jump back into Wow recently, I was griefed a lot, and I think that because I wasn't I was just trying to figure things out again. But it just it felt it felt a little hostile from what I was used to jump into fourteen, Like everyone's like, oh, you're playing fourteen, yo, let me let me give you something, Let me emote to you, Let me like wave my my a, yeah, my glowing ones with you and h and cheer and celebrate that. Oh, new players here, this is cool. Uh, it's it's yeah. The community has been very supportive, and I think that that's helped me appreciate its world a lot. And I think that I think it comes down to two things. Is that the naw Kiyoshida and their community managers and the way they communicate with the fans is very sincere and very open, also very receptive to the fans, and I think that he has such a such a such a strong demeanor and setting the tone for what Final Fantasy fourteen is and what that community should be, so shouts out to them. And also I think that Final Fantasy fourteen's story is so strong in such a central point of the game that it's that story is center around very like being very empathetic and like, yeah, you save the world, but the way in which you save the world is a very it's a very intimate thing. It's a very personal thing, and it's and like it's storytelling. So I think that the people who connect with the game, who want to be there are invested in that that story, so they kind of carry that same ethos into the way they carry themselves into the community.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Final Fantasy fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, just to add on to it, it's because as soon as I heard or I heard you read the part about the body recovery squad for Valheim, because it's that's an entirely like player run thing, like that's yeah, that's that's players going out of their way to go into a server and help you get your stuff back.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And everything that that Michael said is one hundred and ten percent true. The community makes the experience of playing ZIV, even for people who may have difficult times getting in there to play it, feel more comfortable and acclimate and eventually be like I feel good about playing the game with people I don't know, which is wild all into itself, and it's a thing you don't ever see because people who play games are bad most of the time. I don't know why. But the first thing that popped into my head when you read that was all of the player organized stuff that goes down in ZIV that people might not know about, like the there's a roving troop of like actual like it's like fifteen or twenty characters multi boxed called the Songbirds that will jump from server to server and will play full concerts in main cities on bards and they'll play like anime music, they'll play game music, they'll play anything you can think of. And it's great because all of a sudden, like you'll be hanging out doing your thing on the market board, you'll hear like is that the beginning to like the theme song from your name? Oh, shoot, what's going on? And before you know, there's just a giant group of people around these people playing music and it's neat and you don't see that in like any other game. There are people who in the housing district will build out entire like buildings to do like a cabaret if they want, they're inspired by Acazin they want to run a cabaret. They'll build out entire aquariums with like fish that you pay money to come in and see, and you get taken around by a tour guide and just it's wild there. I haven't done it yet, but I really want to. There's almost every other weekend on every data center there's like art parties where people who do really good drawing will post up in someone's house or something thing and everyone on the data center is invited to come in and hang out and talk with other artists and just draw characters that come in. And it's just it's a group of people just being like, hey, yo, I really like how you you dressed up your character. That's neat. I'm gonna draw it cool. How can I send it to you? Look at look at this cool thing that I did. How do you do that? And it's just it's people. It's people coming together and being really cool, and I like that. Yeah, it makes me feel good every time I log into ZIP knowing that's always going on.
Speaker 2: You come through limps of omensa lower decks and you know what you're gonna get. Yes, Yeah, there's I think the ways in which the game lets players be expressive and kind of do user generated uh stuff, is like it lets people be creative, and I think it's it's a it's an very inviting because people feel comfortable doing those sorts of things in the world. Of Final Fancy fourteen, So that's another thing too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dang place, if please.
Speaker 4: You're I guess I know we've talked about Yakaza a bunch, but I guess I'll kind of use that one for me, as like that community of people who play Yakasa are very, very very invested in that series and people, I mean, for me, like with Persona, I only played Persona five because Joker was out of Smash Bros. And I was curious about that. But with Yakuza, it was just like so many people. I mean, it's true that like people who play that typically don't tend to shut up about it for a good reason. I mean, it's really good. Uh So for me, it was like I just saw this bombardment of people who were like gushing over this game and then like I started playing it, and then like I told you guys about it, and it's like that's great and it was the fun. It was a fun time, and especially like with like a Dragon and like how goofy and fun Ichiban is like there was a lot of wholesomeness around that. So yeah, I guess for me, like I took that leap with Yakiza because I've heard nothing but good things about it from that fan based. That community is no I mean, I don't know about it like a toxic side of the Yakuza community.
Speaker 3: It was just a big, big shout out. So it's a Yakaza fans that's one of the best groups of fans I think out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of love to give. I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's Like the thing about Yakuza is that people like genuinely have love for what that game represents and who the characters are.
Speaker 1: So I think that kind of leads the way for like people.
Speaker 2: It's funny, it's it's a fucking action brawler game where you beat the shit out of dudes all the time. And for the like, the main the loudest part of the fan base are the ones who who love the wholesome stuff and like do fan art and say really nice things about or just like kind of talk about its characters in very endearing ways and connect with the endearing side of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. My favorite. My favorite moment in any ACAA game is the beginning of three when you're like running that orphanage, like there's no action combat to it, and like, I love this very very much.
Speaker 3: More stressed old man trying to cut up an onion for curry and he can't, can't do it right. Kids are running around and.
Speaker 4: Then like there's that girl like on the beach and he's like, you know, kids like made fun of her at school because like you don't have real parents and like Ki, He's like no, like we're a real family. And I was like, uh, this is so wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's like those games. What those games have to say set the tone for everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be spicy lended hands plays a please. I'm just gonna ask everyone to play a whole bunch of games on this podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna We're gonna end it off with one last question, Ben, do you want to read the question? I have highlighted a little bit down.
Speaker 3: I don't think you see that a little yeah, yeah, yeah, I see it?
Speaker 1: Okay. Cool.
Speaker 3: Having heard people describe food as having good mouth feel, lately, I started thinking about what makes good button feel on a controller or related contraption. Which button, in your opinion, is the best and or most satisfying and gaming? Also, what is the worst and why is the answer to the l three stick button monstrosity? Off from any c is the worst.
Speaker 4: I hate the L three click button thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big, big up on that. Uh. I'm trying to think of other bad buttons, least favorite buttons.
Speaker 2: Good buttons, all bad bad buttons, my favorite artists.
Speaker 3: Uh, I don't. I think about a lot of good buttons.
Speaker 1: Uh. You know what about the dual sense? The dual sense The face buttons are very sinky, is what I'll say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are.
Speaker 2: They feel good to press. They don't feel good to mash. I play a lot of motherfucking Hotsimiku Project Diva Future Tone, and the dual sense is not great for that. It's I don't think the dual sense is great for fighting games, and I don't think it's good for rhythm games. It is great for everything else though.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point. I played. I played Person of four and five dancing on my PS five. Maybe I should have tried it on PS four.
Speaker 1: Play that's where it's at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, real nice and clickie this we got a du Shock three.
Speaker 3: This I found my worst button. It's not a button, it's the gosh dang deepad from the Dual Shock three. The worst thing I've ever had use in my life. You can't play fighting games on that if you.
Speaker 1: Do understand over the over the three sixty.
Speaker 3: I will take the three sixty deepad. It's mushy and it makes me feel like I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 2: There's weird spacing on the deepad too. It's like oddly space.
Speaker 1: Nintendo ruined, uh the industry when they they copyrighted or trademarked or whatever the end the snesty pad, because like that thing was so perfect and like no one else, like everyone has to make it like their own, like weird version. And I'm like, man, if only like we could all just treat up copy that deep pad.
Speaker 3: Every controller perfect Taube controller.
Speaker 4: I was I was gonna say, speaking of best most satisfying buttons controllers, I was gonna say GameCube like that big green a button.
Speaker 1: And like the n X buttons kind of being you know what I don't you know what I don't like on the GameCube though. I don't like the trigger. It's got this weird hollow like springy sound when you click it like control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I like it in games like Mario Sunshine.
Speaker 1: The games built around the GameCube like GameCube controller flawless for all the games built for it, but like talk about the feel of that trigger, like.
Speaker 2: If you play multiplatform games like I played a lot of like The Goal of Not the Gold, the Double oh seven.
Speaker 1: Fire and play on GameCube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a love night Fire, but like the the triggers are a little weird for those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I could see it. I think, Uh yeah, for games that took advantage of like the what's it called the adaptive trigger where it's like you can push it in a little bit or not a lot like in that sense, I thought it worked extremely well. But yeah, I guess for a game that was also on like PS two and Xbox, it might be a little overkill.
Speaker 2: I think the most satisfying button feel has got to be like a good cherry MX red switch on a keyboard. Yeah, nothing more satisfying than a smooth, linear mechanical switch.
Speaker 1: Oh that sits good things.
Speaker 3: The feeling of pushing down on a a real good switch, trying to do a medal year quote and I couldn't do it. My mind is too for AZL.
Speaker 1: Still that's all right.
Speaker 2: In terms of the worst worst button, what was I gonna say?
Speaker 3: Fuck?
Speaker 1: Uh ship, I forgot damn it. I would say for me, like, oh, oh you know you finished? You got it?
Speaker 3: The the the joy Con analog sticks, Yeah, yeah, I'm not big on the joy Cons terrible.
Speaker 2: The joy Con analog sticks are the motherfucking wars. Never what I ever play a shooter using the joy Cons.
Speaker 4: It's so hell It's interesting because the pro controller is one of my favorite controllers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like controllers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't like whatever you want to call the thing on the three d S the analog on it. I don't want to say nipple right away, but I'm glad that you went for it for me.
Speaker 1: But like this thing, Yeah, the worst thing about it is if you like keep it I'm not sure exactly if it's like you keep it in like a like a moist environment too much like the rubber gets all like sticky. P three controlers do this as well, because he like it like absorbs the sweat and your fingers in it like comes back out and it gets all like sticky and gross. I have like a three DS it has like the the rubber on that thing is like worn off and it's all it feels discussed. That is bad button. Feel some bad button feel I love me a good sand wah fight stick button, like the CLICKI clack of a good a good fight stick. I love that there's a good it's a good feeling, and then bad feel is this is like not like how it's supposed to be. But when a when it when a button, when when the rubber on like a button kind of gets all worn down and then you try and click in and it doesn't click. It's just like slowly sinks like it's just it's the most it's it feels like it technically still works, but you're like, oh this feels awful. I hate it. Yeah, I feel you on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that all our our do we get all our good bad button feels out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I haven't like my Well, the things that come to mind for me are like the three D zero controller and the Intellivision controller. You never touched them personally so much.
Speaker 3: It's just like a phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never touched them, but I would imagine that those are not fun to play.
Speaker 3: Actually, Yeah, pushing the buttons on the intelevision controller don't work very well because they're like I don't know, I don't like break it open or anything, but it's got like because you put the overlay in it for whatever game you're playing, and then like it's it's like popped up like thin metal that you're pushing. It's it doesn't feel tactile. It feels mushy and gross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there you go. Didn't even need to got it, got it right, I'll say.
Speaker 1: Underrated controller. The Sega Saturn controller very good, especially for fighting games. You want good deep pad, like good fighting game deep pat out of the box, Sega Saturn.
Speaker 3: That was like designed for games. Thinking about it, it was, it really was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one bought the thing, but damn Sega Saturn. You want to play some good fighting games, that's the get yourself.
Speaker 3: You play dark dark salty Blood behind the taco bell.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I love dark Sockers. We're never gonna get another one of those.
Speaker 3: Are never get a dark Sockers, never get a powerstone, never getting new melt. You are getting blood.
Speaker 2: We are getting a new MELTI blood, that's for damn sure. But we're never gonna get another rival school.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: You hate to see it.
Speaker 1: Damn I hate to see it, all right, everybody, Well, I think that's gonna call it in episode. Thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: This has been a heck of a lot of fun. This is a good crew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you you're you're a good crew.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're a good host to thank you.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that. Thank you for letting us do our bullshit. Absolutely. You know, man, the adults are away and you know the kids will play. We'll play crime boys. Well we'll play Oh yes, Well that is going to do it for this episode. Uh. As I mentioned before, if you want to hit us out for questions, you can always do it at after Dark podcast at redventures dot com, or you can join our lovely discord. We have a lot of great people on there hanging out. It's just it's just a wonderful community of people. And I just want to say to all of you in the discord, I appreciate you. I appreciate you guys just being in there bringing good vibes, just talking about about video games and you know, whatever else comes to your minds. You guys are you guys are the real ones, and you guys, you guys make this job worth doing a lot of fun, but very much that's facts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, otherwise I think that's gonna be about it. We'll catch you all next time.
Speaker 3: Peace.
Speaker 1: Wait, hold on, no cancel stuff news. I need I forgot to have you guys all do your ship. I didn't do this last time either. I'm see I'm a bad house. Yeah cut us off. Yeah yeah, you guys say I'm a good house. I'm a bad host. Michael, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: People can find me and all of my bullshit at Michael p Hi. I'm on Twitter, uh and you can find my stuff on games dot Com of course I have. By the time this goes up, I'll have a feature on Neo The World Ends with You, the sequel to the World Ends with You, and I will also probably after probably on Saturday. Over this weekend, I'll have my interview with Yokutaro as well, So some interesting things happening there as well.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Evan, Hello, You find me on Twitter at Evan Langer ninety eight because I was born in nineteen ninety eight. You can check out the new Pokemon Snap videos that should be up on the channel now by the time this podcast goes up. Ones on the six biggest changes between the original and New Pokemon Snap, and the other is things to kind of look out for if you find yourself stuck because there are certain patterns and things you could do the game don't tell you about. So yeah, thanks for having me, John Luke.
Speaker 1: Of course, happy to have you on, and we'll definitely get you on for future episodes as well. Hell you anything, Persona, Jaquiza, Nintendo Zelda.
Speaker 4: Zelda, Yeah, all the way, Skytri's HD.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I can talk about that for a long time, all right, Ben, what about you?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter dot com at Ben Jenka if you'd like to. That's fine, just publishing videos and playing games. I don't have much going on. I'm being honest. I'm just happy to be here and talk about the things that I care about with the people I care about.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're happy to have you, all right, and you can find me at John Legsypeke. You should go check out the Returnal review I mentioned earlier by Mike Epstein. Go to YouTube dot com, slash GameSpot or GameSpot dot com and check those out because it is quite excellent and I had a really good time doing the video review for that. Otherwise, you can just stay tuned because we're just I'm working on stuff for future games that are coming out that's all I can say. But you know, look, look forward, please be excited. There you go, and with that, now this is really the end of the episode. We could bring the music back, get it going, spind that back up and we'll see you all next time
Speaker 3: Y for real, Don Trante, Don Trante, Dom Frank, don't trumping