Speaker 1: There are all sorts of roles in the world of criminal investigation, everything from detectives to crime scene photographers and forensic lab technicians. But today we are giving special focus to the unsung heroes of the force, the canine units and the cadaver dogs. Today we talk about one of the best cadaver dogs in the business, one who helped solve countless cases and even was on the scene combing through the rubble of nine to eleven searching for those who lost their lives that fateful day. This cadaver dog was the best in the business. That is, until one day, a bizarre discovery explained exactly why Eagle the cadaver dog was so good at what he did. My name's Ben.
Speaker 2: Cool and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim true crime podcast. The following material for a mature audience listener discretion. Did I hook you with that intro?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You've forgotten this involved a dog.
Speaker 1: You did, and I'm quite excited It's this was a weird research one because there's not that much out on there on this And shout out to uh Ray William Johnson for the the TikTok he put out there that hooked me. Onto this case. So yeah, shout out to him. Also, yeah, just throwing that out there too.
Speaker 2: You need that today, I really do. I really really need that this week, this month. You know, it hasn't been the best over here, but we're hanging in there.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're hanging in there. We're doing our thing, you know what. As Dory from Finding Nemo once said, just keep swimming a right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I feel that world, the universe, whatever, just has interesting ways of getting you where you need to be. Sometimes that's true, and I guess you just have to trust the process.
Speaker 1: I don't know, trust the process one beer ad a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I mean is hard to do sometimes though it is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, not every day can be the perfect day. Not every week can be the best week. So shout out to everyone who's going through the not so good times. You know what, Hang in there, keep going, We're right there with you. You got this.
Speaker 2: I know we need to normalize that life is not always perfect. That some days, some months, some years even are going to be a bit shitty, but that doesn't mean your whole life is going to be shitty exactly so, And people don't talk about they don't talk about that do you know what.
Speaker 1: We should do to make ourselves feel better? Though? Talk about dogs?
Speaker 2: I know you actually perfect.
Speaker 1: I really do pump. So have you heard anything about this this case? Hell no, hell no, you haven't seen Ray William Johnson's post on this.
Speaker 2: I'm not on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Well, Ray William Johnson's also on Facebook on YouTube. He's like an old school content creator who, like since TikTok, he like went through rebranding and like came back with a force.
Speaker 2: Okay, I honestly have to say, I'm not like a huge consumer of social media of content.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, just the true crime variety.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, well I'm dog I guess dog stuff too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dogs is your husky stuff? You feel good husky stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's true. We send that to each other lots. But you at least consume a true crime podcast episode twice a week. I do you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I get to sit back and relax and listen to YouTube.
Speaker 1: You get to be a part of it. You get to co host it. I get to co host it with you. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if only your co host did more working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, maybe you should write a case once in a while.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's on the list, but I'm drowning in my photography work.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, you've got your own business, so I totally can't blame you. But let's get into this, shall we. So we're gonna start off with a woman by the name of Sandra Anderson. Now. Sandra Anderson was a self taught dog handler from Michigan who gained some notoriety in the late nineteen nineties and early two thousands for her work with a very particular dog. And this dog's name was Eagle. So Eagle was a Doberman pincer dog who had been trained by Sandra. Now he was a special kind of dog, known specifically as a cadaver dog. Now cadaver dogs are trained to detect and scent or sorry, to detect the scent of human remains. So under Sandra's guidance, Eagle became began his training in nineteen ninety four when he was rescued from the pound. So he was a pound rescue.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also I love the name Eagle for a dog.
Speaker 1: I know, it's kind of a cool name, it is, I honestly want someone to name like a super tiny little lap dog Eagle, because it's just like this like big brooding bird with all this like you know, like oomph behind it and then just this like little tiny, small lap dog. Again.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. Sometimes I feel like little tiny lap dogs think that they're they're a big eagle, right, like they do. They have that like kind of attitude. They they'll go up against like a bigger dog and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the second that that bigger dog turns around, they're usually tailed between their legs. Yeah, but yeah, anyways, we digress. Within five years though, from that day of being rescued from the pound, both Sandra and Eagle would participate in numerous searches across the United States, often being called in to assist on very high profile cases, and Eagle was referred to as one of the best in the business or even as a prodigy.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's like a cool job.
Speaker 1: So Eagle had an amazing talent of locating human bones. He human human remains, murder weapons, and other clues that I mean, archaeologue are called the archaeologists. I can't say the word archaeologically, but it's the person who does those people who dig on crime scenes that how I'm gonna refer to him because apparently I can't say the word right now archaeologists there, I just it just came to me. Archaeologists and detectives could not do so, Like they're digging up for these things, they could not locate them, they could not find them. Eagle would come in and be like, yeah, here it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on it.
Speaker 1: So his apparent ability to find remains where I mean, any search effort failed. It earned both Sandra and Eagle a very high reputation as being the best in their field. So for reference, though, cadaver's dog's sense of smell, I mean a dog sense of smell really has been estimated to be up to two hundred times more powerful than any human. So cadaver dogs just really know how to zone in in how to utilize this sense.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This, I mean quite literally gives them superhuman abilities because it supersedes our abilities by two hundred thousand times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy. Well, I know you always are thinking, like we see our dog sniff in the air, right, and you're I always wonder what they're I know, smelling, because I don't smell anything, but they're really onto something.
Speaker 1: Well, there's times where it's like I let it a little bit of fart and you don't notice. My God, you don't notice, you don't smell it. But I guarantee the dogs do.
Speaker 2: You're going there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's happened vice versa as well. Okay, see no, yeah, liar. Anyways, Sandra claimed that her dog, Eagle is even more special than that, though she preferred she preferred to call him a quote death investigation dog. She thinks that his gifts far transcend the bonds the bounds of science. Now, in nineteen ninety nine, Sandra Anderson and her highly trained cadaver dog, Eagle, were conducting a search along the banks of Mill Creek in LaPier County and this resides within Michigan. There they were looking for the remains of a missing man by the name of Sam Conya. Now, Sam was a businessman who had gone missing in the area, with no remains of him to have ever have been found. As they worked the area hopeful to find his remains to kind of bring some some rest to his case, Eagle suddenly stopped and he became alert near the edge of the water. After signaling to Sandra, he began barking and all this sort of stuff, right, indicating that he'd found something. Sandra knelt down and realized that he had discovered a bone fragment. Oh. This unexpected find led to more detailed investigation of the area, which was led by the LaPier County Sheriff's Department. Over the following two days, Eagle, along with the investigative team, unearthed a total of eight additional bone fragments. All of the remains belonged to an unidentified adult male, presumably sam Conya. Who were exactly what the person they were searching for now. The story of this mysterious discovery regained further attention when the television show Unsolved Mysteries arrived on the scene to document Eagle's continued search efforts. Astonishingly, Eagle was able to detect these nine little bone fragments. Get this bury beneath layers of sediments submerged in the creek water total of two feet down. Seriously, two feet deep under dirt and everything. It's not like the water's two feet deep. This is like under the mud and ship.
Speaker 2: Holy and what are we talking like? You're saying.
Speaker 1: Fragments the size of a tic tac. Seriously, yeah, because they were like in some of the stuff I watched, they're showing one of them and it's like in the palm of their hand, it's like the size of a freaking TikTok.
Speaker 2: That is impressive.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, investigators theorize at the size and condition of the fragments indicated foul play very much so with the possibility that the body had actually been dismembered and perhaps even processed through a wood chipper.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: So to find something that's been going through a wood chipper in a creek under this mud, on this scene out in the bush like that, that is nothing short of incredible.
Speaker 2: And it had been there a while too, write definitely like it wasn't fresh or anything.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So what made what made eagles achievements even more remarkable was the environment which he was working as well, because a creek was also a well known area for dumping of poachers and the ground was littered with animal bones, particularly from deer. So despite the overwhelming prince presence of non human remains, Eagles still successfully distinguished the human remains amongst the surrounding wildlife debris.
Speaker 2: H I don't even know how. I don't even I don't even comprehend how this saw can be doing that.
Speaker 1: I know, it's extraordinary. Yeah, absolutely extraordinary.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, just think about it. Though. There are extraordinary people, right like people that are like, you know, have super high IQs or something.
Speaker 1: It's not me.
Speaker 2: Well it makes I wasn't see you. It makes sense that there could be you know, extraordinary dogs and stuff too, right Like, it just does for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's gonna be people who are smarter than others, and there's gonna be dogs with better scent than others. And that's exactly what Sandra's saying. Like Eagle's ability transcends like any other dog and like science and everything, and.
Speaker 2: Here this dog was just in the pound.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, that says a lot about the human race.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, I guess it does.
Speaker 1: So. While the identity of the man and the circumstances of his death still remain unknown, it is clear that without Eagle's keen sense of smell, these remains would likely have never been discovered. The case remains open, with investigators still hoping one day maybe they will uncover the truth about these fragments found at this Mill Creek site. Now another notable case involving Eagle and Sandra Anderson, revolves around the disappearance of thirty seven year old Tracy Islam and her husband and now her husband's name was is Azul. Sorry Now. This happened in December of nineteen ninety nine, and at the time the couple's marriage was crumbling, and Tracy had just returned from a solo trip from Europe, where she reportedly found new confidence and independence, which I mean, you go girl, getting there exactly. So on December twentieth, a Zizul, A Zizul. I think it's how you say his name. I'm probably gonna stumble a couple more times. A Zezul is what I'm gonna stick to. Azizuel told their children that Tracy had gone back to England, but just two days later, severed human arms and legs were found in a dumpster outside a restaurant in Dearborn, Michigan. A week after that, a torso belonging to a heavy set woman was described sorry discovered discarded in a nearby field. When Tracy's sister reported her missing, police quickly suspected that the remains were hers and that Azizul might be involved. However, without clear proof of her death. Authorities had no legal basis to treat the case as a homicide because I mean, hey, she's in England, right, yeah, not even remissing persons at this point.
Speaker 2: It's got a good cover story.
Speaker 1: So detectives needed more concrete evidence to justify a search warrant, but as Yezuel's behavior only deepened with and only deepened their suspicion. Surprisingly, when approached by investigators, Zezuel allowed them into his home and even led them to their basement, or to his basement. The detectives immediately noticed the floor had been hastily painted in an irregular fashion, but has Zzel explain that he was merely preparing the house for sale.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Now, authorities were convinced that Tracy had been murdered and dismembered in this basement, and detectives believes that the freshly painted floor was part of a cover up to conceal the evidence of her blood being down there. Yet without any solid proof, they remained unable to conduct any more of a thorough search. Still unable to get a search warrant, a Zizuel, seemingly confident, even agreed to let them bring eagle into his home to inspect the area.
Speaker 2: That's a mistake.
Speaker 1: So under the law cadaver dogs, this is a little bit more reference for you. Cadaver dogs are considered a reliable and reliable enough to warrant further investigation if they detect evidence, which means you can get a search warrant based on the dog's response. Okay, Now, as soon as Sandra and Eagle entered the basement, Sandra said that there was a heavy odor of bleach, which raised concerns about whether they might find or it might affect Eagle's ability to work. Right, Okay, Yeah, However, Eagles soon began circling the room and after a short time, he laid down beside a paint tray, barking, you know, signaling that he found something. And as was visibly tense with Eagle's behavior in what was going on. The dog then led them to several other areas, pointing to the floor, a rug, and even the wall consistently indicating the presence of a significant amount of blood. Thanks to Eagle's findings, the police were able to secure a search warrant, and when they peeled back the concrete in the basement, they found traces of Tracy's blood beneath the paint and bleach. Subsequent DNA testing confirmed that the remains found in the dumpster and in the field belonged to Tracy.
Speaker 2: Wow, this dog, I am in love with this dog.
Speaker 1: Eagle was also able to find what they believe was a saw used in the dismemberment with blood still on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here this guy is just so freaking confident that he covered up his mass. Yep, and Nope, no he didn't.
Speaker 1: Forensic analysis also linked paint ships found in her body to the paint used in the basement, further concreting this connection between the scene and the murder. Now as Ezul was arrested and charged with first degree murder, with investigators believing he killed Tracy after overhearing a conversation between her and a new lover or boyfriend. The case resulted in conviction, and Eagle's exceptional detection abilities were credited as playing a very key role in solving this entire crime. Without Eagle. Without this dog's work, police doubted they would ever have been able to gather enough evidence they needed to crack this case. He was a hero, no kidding, so needless to say, Eagle is a miracle dog. He was considered consistently able to find remains when it seemed like authorities were at a dead end. He was able to find blood. He was able to find so many different things, and in the crime world he had become a sensation. There were articles written about Eagle, left, right, and center. They were talked about creating a postage stamp with Eagles faced on it, even a feature film and much more revolving around Eagle.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, I feel like Eagle does need a film and all the shit.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I agree, I agree, And it's like nine times out of ten Eagle was. When Eagle was called to a scene, he would find something each and every time, Like not every time, but nine times out of ten it was like boom, like on it within minutes. It was incredible.
Speaker 2: Well maybe that one time out of ten though there wasn't anything to even be found, right, like, who's.
Speaker 1: True enough Now. Most recently, Eagle was on a hot street and for finding bone fragments in particular, much like the case I mentioned earlier, when Eagle was able to find even the smallest bone fragment under the water, under the dirt, it was like two feet down right. Sandra was even heard telling stories about two officers about how she knew other police dogs and like canine units and stuff like that. Within the state didn't really like her a Egle very much because of how successful they were.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, that is just like a fucked up sentence.
Speaker 1: Honestly kind of is It's like, oh my god, they don't like us because we're yourself fucking good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like this dog is literally out there being a badass, like, you know, solving cases and who the hell wouldn't like this dog exactly?
Speaker 1: But she's just like, yeah, they're jealous of us.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah they are. That's what it's stemming from for sure.
Speaker 1: And I mean whether it's it is the publicity, the success that was all going to her head or not, I don't know what it was. But regardless, Eagle was on hot streak and no one could deny it. So just because they were doing a damn good job together doesn't mean that there weren't any issues though. Back to the case where we talked about in the creek bed where bones were uncovered underwater. The bones were assumed to be that of the missing man by the name of Sam Conya.
Speaker 2: Remember.
Speaker 1: However, once the DNA analysis was completed on these bone fragments, it was shown that they were not a match to Sam. In fact, they were the remains of a completely unknown person, a missing person authorities didn't even know was missing. Oh wow, they accredited Eagle to finding a missing person they didn't know they were looking for.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, Eagle had successfully found these bones, but they didn't know who they belonged to. Now. Also, in the other case of the wife being murdered and the paint, yeah, basement floor being painted over. The saw that they found with some blood on it, the DNA came back on that saw. The blood on that saw did not match the blood of the wife or anyone else of the crime for that matter either. So it also was some DNA that didn't seem right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's like odd.
Speaker 1: Unless there was another victim no one knew about, right. Regardless of they moved on to the next case. It's October twenty fourth, in the year two thousand. Eagle had been brought to the scene where authorities are trying to locate the body of a man by the name of Stephen Clark. They believed he is buried somewhere near within a thirty three acre plot, but not sure exactly where. And that's where Eagle comes in. With the super cadaver dog on the scene. They soon made a discovery three bone fragments. Eagle did his thing, sniffed around, alerted, and lo and behold they made the discovery. But when the DNA was tested, they found two different DNA profiles from these bones. That means, between these three bone fragments, they held the remains of two different people, and again they did not belong to the person they were looking. Four, Eagle found the bones of a completely two completely unrelated and unidentified victims on this scene.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, I feel like Eagle is amazing, but it's like almost opening a can of worms because you're looking for one thing and then you find like two more things and now you have to to like investigate this and you have no information. You're just like cool, oh, exactly.
Speaker 1: And there's another instance of another case he worked. Because there's so many cases, like I can't pit here and name them all, but there was another one. It was at a national park. They brought them on for one thing, and I believe that they they had found earrings, with like some some fur that was on it was like mink fur, like there's strands, and they discovered it be from like a mink coat. Right. Yeah, Now the person they were looking for did not have earrings or wear this mink coat. But they discovered, like ten year, ten or twenty years ago, can't remember what it was, there's another missing person in this park who was wearing mink when they went missing. And then all of a sudden it went from this one missing person's thing to now we have and I think there was more like other bone fragments or clothing or something that was found. Okay, and there were several other missing people from like back in like the last ten twenty thirty years that are all of a sudden getting brought forward to and they're like, holy shit, now we have all this evidence from not just this one case, but multiple at the same time.
Speaker 2: Huh. Well, I mean yeah, you could probably almost walk this dog anywhere and I be you would find things, which is very alarming.
Speaker 1: It seemed like that was the case, and it began to be a pattern in all honesty. When whatever case that Eagle and Sandra were involved in, they searched for a missing person they find a bone fragment of sorts, and the DNA shows it doesn't belong to the victim they're actually looking for. They're finding someone else almost every time. In another case, the investigators had a body, but they were in search for the bullet that killed the victim. They combed the wooded area trying to find it. Forensics were able to point to an estimated area where they believe the bullet would be. They searched the trees, all this sort of stuff, and they believed it to be in the ground over here, with how the arc would be or the landscape. I'm not exactly sure, but they're like, over here, somewhere here in the ground, the bullet should be here. Forensics they went over the area. They combed it on their knees, searching by hand magnifying glasses. They went over it with metal detectors, not once, but twice, inch by inch and found nothing. Eagle was brought to the scene. Didn't take long. That bullet was found right in the spot they thought it would be right where they were looking. But oddly enough, there was no blood to be found on the bullet. It was clean. The bullet was spent just like it should be, and it was right where it should be, but there was no blood on it. And investigators looked over that area multiple times but didn't find it, but Eagle did. For whatever reason, the story of this prodigy cadaver dog was turning into a little bit of a mystery on itself. This brings us to Proud Lake, Michigan. Police are working hard on a Robert case when one of the robbers turns into a bit of an informant. He leads officers out to where a cast registers were dumped from the robbery, and he also tells police, I'm an accomplice that he had by the name of Robert Pickering. Apparently, he was told by Robert that previously he had actually killed someone and buried their body out in this same area. Now he wasn't sure exactly where Robert buried them, but he informed police that someone is buried out here. After a bit of searching the area with no luck, Sandra and Eagle were brought to the scene together. On their first pass the area, Eagle found bones. They would return to the scene again for another search later for a second time around, and again they found bones. However, when asked to come back for a third time, they were unable to do so, whether it was booking up or they weren't able to quite yet right. So in lieu of the state canine unit were brought to the scene other cadaver dogs right right, and after hours and hours of searching the same area, they found nothing.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I'm confused as shit. I'm getting confused here. Now.
Speaker 1: Why are you getting confused?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it's almost like Eagles, like, I don't know, pulling this shit out of his ass, Like where is this stuff coming from? Because you think a whole unit would find something, right and like the bullet thing. Like, I'm just getting confused now, But I love Eagles, So I'm gonna just keep listening it, okay and see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's what you should do. Just keep listening and we'll we'll get.
Speaker 2: There, okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Officer Rick Keeto, who was the one who led the canine unit, was an absolute disbelief. How could they come to the same grounds that Eagle was at and they searched for hours and not find anything, Yet Eagle finds something within minutes. Now, Rick had also worked on a case before with Eagle. Well, not with Eagle, but on the same case as Eagle. Right, he worked on the same case where that bullet was found. He knew something wasn't right, something's not going on. He knew something wasn't there. He couldn't put his finger on it. He's just like, I don't know if I can trust the situation.
Speaker 2: Is Eagle's handle or doing something here?
Speaker 1: Well, Rick got in contact with Sergeant Nutt. Not going to make a joke about that, but he got in contact with Sergeant Nutt, who would soon be working with Sandra and Eagle on the scene again. Soon and Rick told him keep a close eye on Sandra. Something's not right. So a few weeks later they were on the scene together. This is for Eagle and Sandra's third pass around this area. Both times they found the bones that couldn't come back to the canine the state they found yea, So now they're back after the canine unit found nothing, and Sandra was working with Eagle in the search remains the area for this third time. Sergeant Nutt was there following her, watching her very closely out of the corner of his eye, being right by her side. Whatever he needed to do. He was watching her, and almost like clockwork, Eagle once again gets a hit and finds a bone fragment. But this time, Sergeant Nutt noticed something no one else had seen. Sandra is bent down, showing how Eagle had alerted in this spot. She's got a few people bent down with them, and with her left hand she's pointing off into the grass. And with her right hand, when everyone's watching her left hand, she brushes her ankle her pant leg. Now, Sergeant Nutt wasn't watching her left hand like everyone else was. He was watching her other hand, and he watched her drop a bone fragment out from underneath her pent leg onto the ground.
Speaker 2: What the shit?
Speaker 1: Seriously, she planted a bone fragment.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, where the hell is she also getting these bone fragments? Is she a freaking serial killer?
Speaker 1: We'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so disappointed. I'm so disappointed because, like Eagle is a good dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and okay, wow, Sergeant nut saw this and he kept as cool though he noticed no one else did see it. It was almost like a misdirection thing like a magician. He saw the secret trick and everyone else was fooled by it. This was huge. He didn't want to act so quickly or or brash, So after the day was over, he conversed with a team during the debriefing, and no one else saw it. No one else really believed him. It was a massive claim, and if anyone was going to go against it, I mean, if you're going to accuse someone actually that whole high profile who's gone through all this and done so hard work and all these things, if you're going to be wrong in pointing a finger like that at this person, you're going to lose your career. So no one really wanted to jump on board. However, for Sergeant Nutt, though, it was different.
Speaker 2: He knew what he saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he started digging into Sandra, looking into other cases she worked, other evidence, other things she's found, which is when it all came crashing down and led to one final encounter because of Sergeant Nutt. There was a massive report that was sent out to many different investigators. Many people didn't believe, but it was kind of on the radar and there was an investigation going on from Sergeant Nutt into her. Forensic scientist Jennifer Patchan got said email regarding this investigation. She didn't really believe in it. She kind of brushed it off, thinking, oh, yeah, whatever, just some more bullshit, deleted the email. Little did she know that Jennifer Patchen would be working with Sandra and Eagle on a missing person's case very soon, and that was of Srida Thomas. In April of two thousand and two. While searching the scene with Sandra, Jennifer and her team were on their hands and knees, diligently searching the ground and I mean moving inch by inch, sifting the grass through the dirt, ensuring every ounce of that ground was covered, looking for remains. Then, almost out of nowhere, in a spot where she had just been searching with her team, Sandra bent down with Eagle and says, oh, we found something, and there's two small bone fragments right where they were just fucking.
Speaker 2: Like you wouldn't be able to miss some kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Jennifer and her team knew instantly there was nothing there. A moment ago, Jennifer's like, I did miss it, that wasn't there, huh.
Speaker 2: And then this email's coming back to lateay, the one that's this is Bolsheimer's.
Speaker 1: Dola pretty much pretty much yeah, it's exactly the case. So in the following day, on the same scene, with suspicions now very high, and Jennifer now watching her with a very close eye too. It was on April eighteenth, in two thousand and two that's when it happened. Jennifer saw Sandra reaching into her pant leg and pull out a bone fragment to plant it on the ground, just as Sergeant Nutt had seen before. This time, in the heat of the moment, Jennifer pounced and grabbed the bone before Sandra could actually plant it. The two wrestled over the bone, with Jennifer outing Sandra on what she had just witnessed, planting evidence at the scene.
Speaker 2: That's actually yeah, that's a big ass crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As a result, Sandra would be arrested on the same day for planting evidence and there was a bag of bones found in her vehicle.
Speaker 2: Wow. Oh why watch the book? Is the point of this?
Speaker 1: As it turns out, Eagle is a great cadaver dog, just like any other one on the force, but no different hm. But somehow along the line, Sandra wanted more. Maybe it was fame, notoriety, I don't know, but she began planting evidence at the scene for example, the saw with DNA, for example, the other bones that did not match DNA. The earring with mink was planted by her. It just so happened someone twenty years ago went missing in the same area with mink.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: I don't think she meant to have mink on that earring. It was just here's an earring that she's right.
Speaker 2: Now, she's just causing chaos though she is, and like such a waste of resources too. Now everyone's like, oh fuck, we want to deal with all.
Speaker 1: This other shit exactly, and it's complicating things, causing more taxpayer dollars times. It just it fucks with the whole system. Now, Sandra didn't kill anyone or obtain these remains in any nefarious ways. So to train Kuldaver dogs, trainers are often given human remains by authorities.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's.
Speaker 1: You know, they can train. Here's a scent of bone, orr. But go find it. Here's your training, here's your searching, go find it in the yard or whatever. Here's a training course. I don't know exactly what they do, but they use these remains in training the dogs to actually locate them, and Sandra would use us to her advantage and plant these said given remains at crime scenes to make themselves look better.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean it makes sense I guess that she has these now to me, because I was like, holy shit, that's like quite a serial killer cover up, but still brutal. Yeah, like just brutal. Now.
Speaker 1: The reason why I went unnoticed in so many cases, though, is that not every single little piece of bone fragment gets tested for DNA. In many cases, they assumed it belonged to the rest of the remains that were found. Right, So it's like, we've got half a skeleton over here, and she comes to the scene and finds a couple more bone fragments over there. Oh, it's got to belong to the skeleton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you would probably just just you know, make that assumption for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's many cases where that DNA isn't tested, But there were many cases where the DNA was tested. But who's going to think she's planting it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's another missing person, I.
Speaker 2: Mean yeah, especially like at the beginning, you would just never even fathom that exactly, so because just wait, her, she herself is like in the force, really, right, if she has this cataver dog. I'm assuming she's also like.
Speaker 1: She's a dog trainer.
Speaker 2: Okay, well how do you get to be that? I want to be this like, I'm thinking that.
Speaker 1: You shn't train her own dogs.
Speaker 2: Well, we've a husky, so that's an excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I want to be tryed.
Speaker 2: I feel like I thought maybe like she also has to be a police officer or something like. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: No, I think she's just like a contractor. Basically, it's no different as far as I'm aware to like police officer bringing a psychic on the scene. You know. It's just that eagle happens to be a certified cadaver dog in I don't know how you get that certification for his.
Speaker 2: But well, I'm going to throw that in the name of or the hat of should I want to be when I grow up?
Speaker 1: Nichole's retirement job, Like how you added when you want to or when you grow up? I know there a few respectable So in two thousand and three, Sandra Anderson found herself facing legal consequences for her actions in court. She was charged with obstruction of justice and evidence tampering. The charges could result in up to thirty years in jail.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, that's a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Instead of facing the full penalty, though, she chose to plead guilty to a series of lesser charges. These included two counts of falsely falsifying material facts and making false representations sor right, that was on a second page.
Speaker 2: How has it?
Speaker 1: Yep? Yeah, so making false representations, one count of obstruction of justice, and two counts of making false statements. So US District Judge Patrick J. Dugan sentenced her to at the time being forty four years old, to twenty one months in federal prison. Additionally, she was ordered to pay fourteen hundred, five hundred dollars in restitution fees to law enforcement agencies that she deceived, and upon her release, she was required to serve three years of probation. One of her conditions for the plea agreement was that she would be permanently barred from profiting from any of her past activities. So basically, any income generated from the story related to events of her plea would be surrendered to the Department of Justice. So if there is a movie made about Eagle, she doesn't get a fucking penny.
Speaker 2: I mean, fair enough, Yeah, I'm honestly surprised that, like, oh, you can get up to thirty years and like, really, what she is getting here isn't all that bad. I know, it's really not that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now I'm gonna say this and I'm not taking I don't take this with don't assume this is true, take it with a grain of salt. So there. I did watch a bit of a an episode on this kind of thing and someone commented, I think it was on Reddit or maybe it was on YouTube or something. Someone claimed on there that she had married their dad and she's still like a piece of shit. Oh apparently she's still a pathological liar type or whatever. That's just a claim some random person made in a comment section. Huh, so just I don't know if it's true, but it was a comment that I read out there.
Speaker 2: So well, I mean, gosh, if you're doing this to this extent, I don't know if you'd, like, you know, totally just change your ways and all of a sudden become like a saint.
Speaker 1: Yeah really I agree. I agree. But that is the story of Eagle the Cadaver Dog and Sandra Anderson.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I'm kind of like pissed because she just like dragged Eagle's name in the muck with her.
Speaker 1: She did, she she did. But but Eagle didn't do anything wrong. No, because Eagle is trained to find human remains. Yeah, she presented human remains. Eagle did what he's supposed to. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was like, God, this dang job is easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, I don't even have to search for it.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I just show up and it appears right.
Speaker 1: I know a few people that I've worked with in the past that are like that. They just show up. I'm sure we all know someone like that.
Speaker 2: Hey, I just show up.
Speaker 1: They get praised for their job, and it's like, you ain't doing shit.
Speaker 2: Oh man, keep it Like, what happened to Eagle? Do you even know?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm hoping Eagle like had a good life for the rest of I'm assuming it's that he he he is no longer with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean Eagle was rescued from the pound in ninety four. Yeah, so, so I would assume Eagle has passed. But uh, to be fair, Eagle still did solve many cases. Eagle did find the blood in that basement, right, Eagle did solve that case, and authorities said they wouldn't have solved it without him.
Speaker 2: I know. So, like what it was even the point of putting the saw in there, I don't know, like really just to complicate shit way more, you know, to.
Speaker 1: Say we found the weapon or the thing that he hacked her up with.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile the guy's down there and being like, the fuck, that's not what I.
Speaker 1: Used, right, Like I used a hack saw.
Speaker 2: No one would believe him, like ever, So that's that's an interesting position to be in for her.
Speaker 1: So so, Eagle was a very good cadaver dog. Eagle had a great career. Eagle actually solved, actually solved a lot of crimes totally. Sandra was just hungry and greedy and fucked it all up.
Speaker 2: Well. I mean, I guess too, the more or the more success that he's getting, the more cases the be called out too and stuff. So it does it does mean the more money and stuff for her too, Oh.
Speaker 1: Definitely, right, yeah, definitely, And she could probably charge more, you know, and going to conferences and maybe hey, one day we can get a movie made.
Speaker 2: Like you know, all these different things, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which she cannot profit from, which I am very thankful for that part of the plea.
Speaker 2: Honestly, this would be like a very interesting movie now, like even.
Speaker 1: More so I would watch it more so now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really would. Yeah, it has a big, a big twist in there. So I liked this one.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a real good one. It's kind of like it's still like shitty and talking about shit and stuff, but it's also talking about like an amazing dog.
Speaker 1: So and no one was harmed in this one. I mean, of course there was, there was cases that they were searching. There was murder cases and stuff. But the story that we're talking about, no one was harmed. Sandra was just being a dumbass, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Pushing her lock really, yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't you dumbass people, Like, come on, you had a good thing.
Speaker 2: Going, why do you have to Well, yeah, I just let your dog be the dog that it was, like it obviously was already doing amazing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so yeah, hopefully you guys enjoyed that one. Is a little bit of a different tale today. But see what I did there, tail.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I didn't notice. I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm glad. So yeah, it was a bit of a different tale today. Hopefully you enjoyed it. Yeah, that's all I really got to say today. Make sure you check out our links and stuff in the description. We appreciate it. Don't forget to rate us. You're awesome, You're amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are awesome. And until next time, stay wicked.