Speaker 1: Pod Save America's brought you by simply Safe. Summer is here, which means cookouts, pool parties, and wondering if your packages will still be there when you get back from vacation. Or you could skip the worry altogether with simply Safe. I set up with simply Safe. It's easy to do, Customize it to your home, comes in the mail. You can set up in a matter of minutes. You have to drill or anything. It's very easy to do. Then the app is great, easy to use, and the customer support credibly reliable.
Speaker 2: Gives you a peace of mind.
Speaker 1: With simply Safe, kept your package safe. That's right, that's right, you kept my package safe.
Speaker 3: Man's it's all there.
Speaker 4: It's all there.
Speaker 1: With simply sayfe there are no long term contracts between translation fees. They earn your business by keeping you safe, not by trapping you in a contract. You can customize your system to fit your needs. Then it ships fast directly to your door. The app guide it's set up is simple and there's no drilling requirement, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors and indoor and outdoor cameras twenty four to seven professional monitoring. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring in your first this free Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 4: There is no safe like simply Safe. Start your morning with the news that matters. Every day, NPR is Up First brings you the three biggest stories in under fifteen minutes. They go into what happened and why it matters. It's short and thorough, fact based and personable with national and international news and one easy listen. Listen to Up First from NPR wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Welcome to plod Save America. I'm John Bavora, I'm John Lovett, Tom Mevi Tour. On today's show, we'll talk about the latest developments in the on again, off again war slash peace deale with Iran, which seems to be playing its hand better than master negotiator jd Vance. We'll also get into the Reflecting Pool drama which has gone from farce to fascist as federal agents start arresting people Trump's accusing of phantom vandalism. Plus, the President unveils his new Katari jet. Bill Poulti officially takes over as acting DNI. It appears that the outgoing dn I might have been under the influence of a cult leader. And we'll talk about the potentially criminal lobbying campaign behind Trump's decision to spring a convicted fraudster from jail. Then New York Times reporters Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan talked to Tommy about their explosive new book, Regime Change, which is full of fascinating revelations about Trump's second term White House. Did you think better of Donald Trump after reading?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just misunderstood and guy, he's just doing his best. You know, he's got a moral core.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 4: Now, it's a really good book. I would like spent the day just inhaling it. And even for secos, I guess that follow this stuff closely. You learn a lot about the process, the kind of narrative around how these decisions actually got made, what it's really like in the Oval office.
Speaker 3: It's really really good. Yeah, as someone who doesn't read books but is also a sicko. Think I'm gonna read this one.
Speaker 4: You're gonna like it, you know, like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a patriot. All right. Let's talk about how the Memo of Versailles is holding up. As of this recording, both the US and Iran are now saying that the peace talks in Switzerland are going well and that they're making progress, though it certainly didn't seem like that. Over the weekend, the ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon briefly fell apart. Iran announced it close the strait again. The US said that wasn't true, and then Trump demanded that Iran rein in Hesbola or the US would resume bombing for good measure. He also threatened to take over the Strait of horror moves and sees twenty percent of the oil that passes through it, which is something that he can definitely do. JD. Vans, who Trump has generously made the face of America's surrender to Iran, cited three points of progress on Monday. One, he said the US and Iran agreed on measures to keep the straight open. Two, they agreed on a mechanism to diffuse flare ups between Israel and Hesbola. And three, he said that Iran has agreed to let international nuclear weapons inspectors into the country for the first time since Trump tore up Obama's Iran deal, though we haven't seen confirmation of that yet from the Iranians. In exchange, the US has agreed to waive sanctions on Iranian oil for sixty days, first time we've done that in like four decades, So congrats to Iran. Trump got asked about all this at a signing event in the Oval on Monday just before we recorded, where he showed off his absolute command of what's going on.
Speaker 5: If they're or with iransom could cause a worldwide depression. As you noted, mister President, are you willing to risk economic catastrophe and strike Iran?
Speaker 6: Well, not the way I'm doing it. It's not going to cause depression.
Speaker 5: Yes, if they don't abide by the well, nuclear.
Speaker 6: Weapon supersedes depression. Depressions, real bad nuclear weapon will cause depression.
Speaker 3: If the Iranians won't use profits from oil sales to rebuild their.
Speaker 6: Military, well they're not supposed to be doing that, so i'd will say. But they're supposed to use money to buy food for the people, because right now that people are very hungry. As long as they respect us, we're going to be fine.
Speaker 3: What do you think You think they're going to use all that money to buy food for their people? Oh yeah, and then show us nothing but respect.
Speaker 1: For sure, there's nothing. There's nothing to stop them from using the money to buy whatever they want with it. There's not that's not part of the deal.
Speaker 2: There's no deal. There's nothing you.
Speaker 3: Wanted to say that we're we're actually going to benefit from this because if they buy food, they're going to buy food from us. And so really the money fight that's way back to us. That's what's actually waking about.
Speaker 2: It's crazy you enjoyed dunk a use over there.
Speaker 3: I mean, who doesn't want them? Now, Tommy, what do you make of the latest developments? Are we in a are we in a better place, a worse place? The same place? Too hard to tell?
Speaker 4: I mean, per that reporter's question about could the ongoing closure of the straighter Humus lead to an economic calamity and you know, like famine in places like Africa, I think we're in a worse place because over the last week, Iron has signaled that they are willing to happily close the street or Humous again, or at least announce it's closed. And I think what folks have to remember is like, this is not a valve that goes on and off. This is a bunch of economic decisions made by shipping companies. So we're thinking of our cells. We have these giant tankers. I could send it to the straight door moves. I could send it somewhere else if there's a three percent chance it gets stuck in there for a couple of weeks because the Iranians fire off ballistic missiles or something worse could happen, they get shot at, you know, like that's that's a big capital expenditure that could go to the bottom of the ocean for them. And so I'm worried about this, just kind of bumping along in an unsettled fashion for a while, and worried about ongoing high energy prices, and worried about the shortage of fertilizer shipments, which are already going to show up too late to hit a lot of crops and are going to lead to lower yields and less food for people in higher prices and more hunger and then the like whatever this mechanism is to solve the you know, flare ups between Hesbola and Israel. I don't buy that for a second.
Speaker 3: Is it like a deconflicting cell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably like a conference call. But like again, the Israelis, they're not pulling troops out of Lebanon. They if like they're occupying six miles of territory into Lebanon, Hesbel is going to attack them, the IDF will respond, and then it's going to lead to these events.
Speaker 3: So I just I don't feel great about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say we're better off in peace talks than we were when there were no peace talks. We're better off not being a war than we were when we were at war. We are worse off than we were before the war started, and we are worse off than we were when there was the JCPOA in place. All these hawks who are trying to find their way to justify supporting this deal or not being as critical of this deal, I'm just waiting for something to happen in which Iran has conceded more or given more than they did under the horrible, unacceptable, worst.
Speaker 2: Deal in history made by Obama.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for one thing where they've given given up more because as of right now, how different would it look if Iran had said we are shutting the strait of horror moves unless until you negotiate a better deal with us, like we are going to like you know what I mean, Like we had not launched a war. But Irana just said we're closing the strait of hormones unless you give us a bunch of until you give us a bunch of concessions. I don't know how much different would look than this, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I saw that Steve Rantner on Twitter said that the oil waivers could bring them ten billion dollars in sanctions relief.
Speaker 4: Just from not just oil sales, right from all the Yeah, right, there's a sanction, there's sixty day sanction to waive around oil sales. Those sales could be up to ten billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Well. Also, he noted that in the JCPOA, we didn't give any sanction of relief until they allowed the inspectors into Iran. We have, you know. Bessent sort of posted today that there was the sanctions relief has happened, although they asked Trump about that, then he's like, I'm not sure. I have to check in on that. And they haven't allowed a single weapons in specter into the country, nor have they even confirmed what jd Vance said about this, that they are willing to do so.
Speaker 4: And the devil is the details there. I remember the JCPOA had lots of IAA access and inspections, but the Republicans were mad that they would have to give twenty four hour notice for certain sites like snapped inspections. Like he is to be able to go to wherever you want, whenever you want it, so you can't move shit around. Look, yeah, I'm like love it. I'm like glad we're in talks. I'm glad there's not an ongoing conflict. The devil is in the details here. And also we're still sending like these hapless idiots like Jade Vance and Steve Wikoff and Jared Kushner and the Iranians are sending nuclear experts who have nothing better to do and nothing but time to grind them down. And they also know that Trump doesn't want to go back to war and has given up all his leverage, which just doesn't make me confident that we are going to get a better.
Speaker 3: JCP away again.
Speaker 4: I want the warover. I'm not some hawk attacking him for the right here, but just sort of like realistically looking at the setup now after the war started and ended, and now we're here, like Trump's leverage is just gone. He's given the sanctions relief, the threat of military action is gone. I just don't know how you get to a better deal to anyone. Happened to catch jd Vance's interview with Russ Doutwitz. Pieces, Yeah, when they talked about this, and it was interesting because a lot of the things Evan said as people who don't want the war to go on like us. I was like, oh, that that's good, you know, that's a good case. But where he really stumbled or I think just lied, was talking about the jcpoa like at one point he's like, the difference, the real difference between this deal and the Obama deal is the Obama deal just let them have all this enriched uranium that now this deal we're going to get to take away. That's like literally, I thought I was gonna I was gonna text you, but but I feel like I'll ask you here on the pot was like didn't. Didn't They didn't They enrich all the uranium. After he pulled out of the deal under the JCPOA, they shipped out ninety seven percent of their stockpile. I went to Russia where they disposed of it. Under this deal, are talking about down blending and insight and keeping it in the country, se the opposite of what he said.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. Ross did not press him on that. So we've talked a lot lately about how Republicans are coping with this. They continue to be all over the map, from kissing Trump's ass to threatening new wars to open revolt. Let's take a lesson.
Speaker 7: If we have inspectors going in there, and if that straight is open for business and yet all is flowing, then I think it's very clear the United States will have won this conflict.
Speaker 8: If this deal fails, President Trump is going to take the Straight of Horror moves over by force. The United States will control the Straight of Hormuz, will charge your fee for all those who go three through to pay for the operation. And if Iran contests control of the Straight of Horrm moves by the United States will obliterate them.
Speaker 9: I would not support the Republican Party. There's no chance I would support the Republican Party. How could I or any American voters support a political party that's not loyal to the United States, that puts the interests of a foreign country above those of its own citizens. Like, So, no, I'm out, and if I'm out, then I think a lot of other people are out.
Speaker 3: Well, Okay, so Tucker is out, Lindsey Graham's threatening to take over. The Straight of Horror moves completely, and Jim Comer, the head of the Oversight Committee, he thinks that if the Strait is open and we get inspectors in there, we have won the conflict. What do you guys think, are the fractures here getting getting worse getting better?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Strait is open, as that's a victory, even though it was not something we had to worry about until they started the war. Inspectors back in as you had under the old agreement that they tore up. The thing that I saw that I think is the most alarming our is the cope by the Iran Hawks, who are also apparajects, trying to get behind what Trump is doing. And you saw Hugh Hewitt and Mark Levin doing this kind of like forty Chess, basically saying the political calculus is that in order to prevent Republican losses and deal with the fact that the country has not been persuaded to be in favor of this war, you have to get into negotiations and punt because then after the election, then you can get back to bomb to bombing. Well, you know, Hugh Hughett called it clarity and then and then also said, I assume if Marco Rubio is seeing what's happening here, that he would not go along with a deal that doesn't treat the Iranian regime like the threat that it is, and he would resign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually he's pretty vocal and matters of conscience like this.
Speaker 1: But but I do think it points to what some of these hawks are hoping, which is that they can prevent the worst political blowback from the war, get cast down, and then go back to being bellicose regime changers once the midterms are behind us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, ultimately, like guys like Linda Graham is always going to he's just going to get in line because that's what he does.
Speaker 3: And you know, he's talked in.
Speaker 4: Articles before about all he cares about his relevance, and he wants to be up Trump's ass and get to play golf with him and be in the room. And he knows that Naga wants him just to be with Trump on everything. So I think, like the I think the elected Republicans will get in line. I think the Hawks will get in line and like kind of just keep their powder drive for another day. Ironically, Iran has more of a complicated system with factions that might oppose a deal, like the IRGC, like they're going to be out there loudly advocating against a deal. There's a bunch of nationalists sort of like forever getting whip up. I think they can rightly say, like why make a deal with the Americans?
Speaker 3: They just reneg on them.
Speaker 4: They pull out, and the next president will pull out anyway. Tucker, who knows what his incentives are these days, and he's got an audience, City's building and maybe a presidential run. Guys just ask why does face the Nation book Lindsay Graham, He's like one of their most booked guests. He disgraced himself when it comes to the Iraq War. He was catastrophically wrong about Iran there in that clip he's threatening to have Trump do something militarily that we all just watch Trump fail to do, which is defeat the Iranian regime militarily and then take control of the strad or Moves. If that was on the table, we would have done that. So why do we book this man on television just to like spew this hawkish bullshit? At what point do you get discredited and no longer invited on to face the nation or at least be in the penalty box for maybe a couple weeks.
Speaker 3: I imagine when they're doing their booking, they're just saying, Okay, we need we need the administration mouthpiece, perspective and guying to tie on a Sundad because if we can't get Trump or JD or something, we need someone who's going to spout that whatever was about that line.
Speaker 4: I guess how are the pro Trump hawks feeling?
Speaker 1: You know, go to Lindsay Graham, who's basically proposing that the US take over the straight up from Moves. I assume there'd be some sort of like maybe you have Disney help and do some sort of fast pass situation, going to use a genie apt to get through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, begs the question why haven't we done that already?
Speaker 4: It was on the table, he would have done it. Yeah, but now we're going to go back and take twenty percent of aggregate oil revenue from this.
Speaker 3: Like, what the fuck do you.
Speaker 1: Remember every time where we were begging Europe to help us do something we didn't need their help to do, which is retake the straight up from moves, which we never did.
Speaker 4: It's just like, it's so fundamentally unseerious and he's such a discredited individual, but it speaks to how war is covered in Washington, where like the hawkish view is the serious view, and these are the very serious people who talk about serious things in the Oval Office, And if you're anti war or you say like we should be pro diplomacy, you are not booked on these shows or treated seriously.
Speaker 3: And it drives me nuts. Well, you know who's not buying all those shit voters? Yeah, CBS, the same CBS that had Lindsay Grammat has a new poll out on Sunday. A huge majority of people support ending the war, roughly eighty twenty, but by similar margins they think we have not stopped Iran's nuclear program for good created a better situation for arounds people or installed a regime that's friendlier to us. In other words, most voters are familiar with the reality of the situation. Just saying true things American voters, So what a guess, got it big pictures. Seventy percent of people say the war was not worth the cost, only thirty percent say it was only one poll, but lots of good data, good questions in there. What jumped out at you, guys.
Speaker 1: One thing was just a thing about what Tucker Carlson was saying there about being out and the other kind of people that would be at You would think that the kind of America First MAGA crowd would be more skittish about continuing the conflict. But it found that among Republicans, sixty forty one to end the conflict now rather than continue until Iran gives up more. And it's a small difference, but actually fewer MAGA reps.
Speaker 3: But that Yeah, but you said America First, which is telling that's not America Maga is MAGA is what whatever Trump wants. I'm good with.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I mean, right, that the people that you would think would be the America First sort of that were against these kind of interventions because they're behind Trump. It's their job to be supportive of Trump. There's no they're not brooking as much Tos sent here. I mean, I would say even the fact that sixty percent of Republicans want to end the conflict now even fifty six percent of MAGA Republicans like does tell you how unpopular this is. But I think there is striking that you don't have a bigger break among people that would have considered themselves more aligned with Tucker.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mean you get seventy percent of the country saying this was not worth the cost. I mean that is, uh, you don't get seventy for much. You don't get seventy for much. I too love it. I was kind of like struck by the splits within MAGA, the fifty six percent saying end it now, forty four percent continue to get more from Iran, keep fighting to get more from Iran. But then you know, they did like kind of an intra MAGA self identified MAGA poll and ninety percent of like the NAGA people pulled to the deal is better for run. Nineteen percent of all Republicans said the deal was better from Iran. So it just I don't know it It speaks to the way the failure here has broken through to even the kind of cult members, the Maga cult members, And I think it tells you something about wars and how they end up being damaging for presidents. It's like presidents are actually often not You don't get hurt politically if you kind of bump along, but if you end a war and are perceived to have lost the war, I think voters will punish you. It seems like we're seeing the beginnings of that for Trump.
Speaker 3: One number that stuck out at me. It could be a problem for them, in a problem for the administration in the coming weeks and months. There's a plurality. Forty two percent think gas prices will go down in the next few weeks, and there is an expectation you can tell in these polls that they think it is over now. Things are going to get better financially economically, and that's end. Maybe that happens eventually, but I think it's going to take a bit of time. Just because the price of oil is falling doesn't mean the price of gas will as well. And you know, you're seeing like I think this poll has like his approval rating take up a point from last time, which is you know, like margin of error mean meaningless. But overall you've seen some you know, last week, I'd say maybe the generic ballot got like a point closer to Republicans too, So there might be some expectation around the war ending that relief is coming that I don't know if Trump is actually going to be able to deliver on, which is certainly something to watch for, which is.
Speaker 4: Why I think he's giving like this sixty day immediate license to the Iranians to sell oil and gas because they're just trying to flood the zone and get prices down as fast as they can. I agree, it's an open question about how quickly gas prices come down and whether they come down to where they were, and whether that's kind of how.
Speaker 2: People are anchoring this in their mind.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but there's you know, gas prices aren't just determined by the amount of oil that Iran lets do the Straight. And by the way, it's not as if the Straight is back up to where it was before there's so much less traffic through there. But if you have Iran, I think immediately saying we are going to close the Straight again to Sig, I think purposely right to whether whatever the inciting cause to signal. But at any moment, we can shut this thing down again. That that is our power and we plan to use it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: How is that going to give anybody confidence that prices going to be reliable, that oil will be reliable, that.
Speaker 2: You can count on prices coming down.
Speaker 1: I just a Trump threatening them thre I need to kill the negotiators.
Speaker 2: I mean like, we're just.
Speaker 4: Just millennial you know, locker room talk, it's called it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Positive America is brought to you by a ZipRecruiter. Whether you own your own business or in a position to hire, you want to find people who are as excited about the work you do as you are. Ziprecruiters a new feature that quickly lets you see the most interested in qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster. And now you can try it out for free at ZipRecruiter dot com, slash cricket, zip precruiter smart matching technology connects to you with qualified candidates instantly. Candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in the job.
Speaker 3: No wonder.
Speaker 4: ZipRecruiter is the number one rated hiring site based on G two. We use ZipRecruiter here Cricket Media, We've hired a bunch of great people. It made the process way faster. You get great candidates almost instantly. It helped you sort through them quickly. You can find folks who are actually interested in the job and not just applying to a million jobs. So we highly recommend it. Use ZipRecruiter and find enthusiastic talent fast. Four to five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. Now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com. Slash crooked at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked meet your match on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 1: Podsave America is brought you by hymns. D is way more common than most guys think. Millions of guys deal with it at some point, and that's exactly why hyms offers a straightforward way to handle it. Hyms connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate ed treatment options from home. No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines. Just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribe, your treatment ships directly to your door in discrete packaging that includes Sildenafil, also known as generic for Viagra available through hym set up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version, and if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for ed, weight loss and more. Visit hyms dot com slash cricket that's hymns dot com slash cricket for your free online visit hymns dot com slash Crooked. Prescription required see website for details and important safety information. Soil dentifhil is the generic version of viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Viatrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice.
Speaker 6: All Right.
Speaker 3: We briefly discussed this on Friday's Pod. But Iran isn't the only war Trump's last. Lately, He's also been defeated by the Algae in the Lincoln Memorial reflecting Pool. Turns out Trump's mar Lago pal who got the no bid contract for fourteen million dollars in counting to renovate the reflecting pool. A fellow convicted criminal by the name of John Kafaro. Have you seen this guy's picture? Incredible?
Speaker 4: Yes, I recommend everyone google right now John Kafaro. Find the photo of him in the eighties wearing the double breasted suit is I can't say, is it a comb over or a hair piece unclear?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It looks like he's trying to kill the aristicats.
Speaker 4: He pleaded guilty to bribing James Traffick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's that's who it. Wow, I saw.
Speaker 2: Those guys both that amazing.
Speaker 3: Convictions campaign finance bribery. Yeah, this is the guy that got the no big contract or the he So he didn't seems.
Speaker 1: Like when he gets mad, h his uh, his shirt rolls up like what's that thing called when you have a tuxedo? Say, yeah, the tuxedo front.
Speaker 3: It looks like that probably happened when he found out about the alogy. So John Kafara didn't do the top match work he's known for, and now they have to drain the pool and start from scratch. The president per usual is blaming everyone else, including reporter John Carl of ABC News quote dirty cop James Comy and other alleged vandals, five of whom have apparently been arrested, including a former Olympic canoer who says he was just reaching into the pool to feel the detached liner.
Speaker 2: Seems like he was up the up the reflecting pool without a paddle.
Speaker 3: This guy. Trump threatened the rest of us with a ten year prison sentence for the destruction or even the attempted destruction of such things, which he said, quote will be fully enforced naturally. Trump got a lot of appropriately skeptical questions on this and the Oval on Monday. Here's what he said.
Speaker 5: Are the contractors who did the initial work with a reflecting pool, are they to blame for the current condition?
Speaker 4: Or is it.
Speaker 6: Vandals? You know, we have one hundred and we have a I think two hundred and ninety three hundred foot slip right through it. Probably a box cutter or a knife of some kind.
Speaker 5: The National Guard and police have been all over the mall. How would these vandals have gotten so close to do something like that?
Speaker 6: Do you have these I mean we didn't have We didn't have a lot of them.
Speaker 10: Then, who would think that somebody would go into a pool and take a knife and start cutting it?
Speaker 6: A proof of that? Yeah, I have a photos. Well let's put it this way. When you have a three hundred and fifty I think it's three fifty fifty three hundred fifty foot slid from one end to the other, you think that's proof. You think that's where has it been down there today?
Speaker 11: Looking for that slip that you mentioned?
Speaker 6: What you'd have to do is see the parks dequirement. They'll show it to you.
Speaker 11: Curious about this situation is we stood here with you in April when you first revealed the plans. I said, what in April you showed us pictures of what you were going to do. You said you had a guy who was going to do it in a week for about a million dollars.
Speaker 6: Well it's yeah, okay, read brock Hussein Obama. Have you ever heard of them? He spent two years and over one hundred million dollars. I spent two months maybe less, and I have a better product. Now I can't help. But if somebody goes in where the knife and starts hacking it up, and we also have pictures of it. You know that's the right time you'll see it. You'll see it in court.
Speaker 3: So pissed, find the guy who did the slit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the box cut there like it's a reflecting pool, Muhammadatta just also horizing.
Speaker 3: I wonder where someone could have possibly gotten the idea to use a knife to cut the reflecting pool. Might have a clue here, Let's watch.
Speaker 6: This will last for at least fifty years. You'll never have a leak. It's very straw.
Speaker 2: You couldn't if you had a knife.
Speaker 10: I don't want to give anybody ideas if you had a knife, you can't even cut it.
Speaker 6: So powerful powerful.
Speaker 3: Rubber, powerful rubber, powerful rubber not so powerful. So I feel like this went from mostly funny to fairly alarming now that they're trying to arrest random scapegoats just because Trump can't admit he fucked up. What do you guys make of this whole situation?
Speaker 1: So you make a big deal about how you're going to finally fix the pool because rock Custine, Obama and Joe Biden couldn't do it, You're the only one who has the ability to do it. You do a no big contract for a guy who is the crony picture in the crony entry of the dictionary.
Speaker 2: You declare victory.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden, the allergy is coming back, and so you have your people lie about that. They post pictures saying that it's better that this is not real. It's perfect, it's perfect, it's perfect. The lie draws more attention to the story, so reporters start covering it. Okay, because you hyped it up so much and are lying, the media is making more of an issue of it. So you start blaming saboteurs, even though they don't seem to exist. That generates only more coverage. Now you're arresting random people for checking out the mess that you've made. Now you've turned what was a silly and ultimately small story about a pool renovation into gross incompetence, corruption, and rising fascism. So there's even more coverage.
Speaker 2: And then you clear that. Then you declared that the media is obsessed. Why is the media so obsessed with what's happening to the reflecting?
Speaker 1: Well, well, maybe you said you went and held up a picture about who you were the one that was going to fix it, and then turned it into just an example of every aspect of the lying, the lawlessness, the corrupt deals that you're making, the incompetence. You've just turned it into a perfect metaphor of everything you've done wrong in this administration.
Speaker 2: So yeah, people are gonna cover it.
Speaker 4: I'm still in the mostly funny camp. Jim Comey at his house, like cultivating sea monkeys in the backyard, releasing them into the reflecting pool.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 4: Like John Cafaro having a company called Greenwater Services.
Speaker 3: That's some funny shito.
Speaker 4: Obviously, it's bad that they're arresting this random Olympian man who was just biking around and accusing of sabotaging. Like you watch Janine Piro ranting away and Fox about this stuff, and we're all used to seeing her, you know, like six chardonnaise deep, just kind of like doing a primetime and then you remember, oh wait, this woman can issue the penis. That's actually a little scary. It's bad, but I think all of this will probably go away because obviously this is just algae grows because it's sunny and it's hot in the pool and there's water in it.
Speaker 3: It's and we're talking about it, and it sounds like they just they just did everything wrong. They did a bad job, is the other thing. And they spent a lot of money on it. Also, like none of these people are going to jail because like all of this is gonna get laugh out of court. Tmz tmz DC was down there all day today and I have all this footage of people being like arrested, detained, and these people are like you can see on foot on camera, they're just like look, some of them are just looking down to take pictures and like seven like there's like park police, there's DC, They're all it's complete madness. It is just it is a lie on the level of like now we're back to like Sean Spicer and the inaugural crowd. It's like, you know who cut the three hundred foot slit in the reflecting pool. Fucking no one because that it just did not happen because you you look at the reflectable there is no slit visible. Reporters have looked even since he just said that, so it's it didn't happen. It's impossible to do that three hundred feet, that's the size of that's the size of a football field. Someone's gonna take a box gutter and could have slit the size of the football field, and no one's gonna pay attention to that. No one's gonna see that. They're not going to be seen. Also, even if they did, wouldn't cause the algae wouldn't cuss the problem. Also, you spend fourteen million dollars on a reno that can be undid with a box cutter. But also what kind of renovation is that?
Speaker 1: It's also not a there's chunks of it floating up all over the fucking thing. I'll just been grown since last week. It's what everybody said would happen. I just like, obviously this is very silly. But now we're at the point where they got federal cops patrolling the National Mall to arrest people who are going to point things out that embarrass the deer leader. It is it is, you know, the ballroom and now this. These are perfect metaphors for what this administration has done. I think it's the kind of thing that'll stick with people, in part because it's also stupid that this is what's taking up the president's time and.
Speaker 3: Even if no one was paying attention to it, probably still taking up his time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, he's the reason we're all paying attention.
Speaker 4: The reason we're all focused on this, he drove his ass down to the reflecting pool. Like this all started with him doing a drive by the thing. They're gonna look, they're gonna build a wall around this thing too. They're gonna have to cover it.
Speaker 10: They are.
Speaker 1: They're gonna cover it up so people can't take photos of it, the same way they built that giant wall around the renovation of the ballroom because they didn't want embarrassing photos of the ballroom. Like this, it's not going to go away. They're reflecting pools just there. It's a big part of the National Mall. It's eight acres big, it's massive, and it is not going to be fixed for a long time.
Speaker 2: They don't know how to fix it.
Speaker 3: And look, we know how serious this administration is about punishing people who destroy federal property. It is just something that they have cared about for a long time.
Speaker 2: Take it very seriously, Take it very very very seriously.
Speaker 3: Every single person who did that on January sixth completely free, pardoned, commuted, And now they're just arresting random people, which is which is fascinating. He's also now saying that his people are dumping fertilizer in there. They're dumping first vandals are dumping fertilizers. So they got that through the strait and now here we go. Now they got now they're dumping it in there. Yeah. The Komi thing, for those who didn't pay attention, is someone h there was some vandalism where someone on the lawn did like an eighty six forty.
Speaker 1: Seven unrelated to the unrelated to the reflecting point forty seven in grass truth at it.
Speaker 3: And so Trump thinks that because Komi did that with the shells or took a picture of the shells and posted it, which he is now also being prosecuted for, that someone was inspired by that to box cut his reflecting pool. One of the stupidest fucking things. We've covered a lot of stupid stories. Yes, is this is going to be a This is a chapter you're gonna want to come back to. Yeah, when the Trump story is we'll probably forget about it by the end of the Trump administration. But the reflecting pool, this is one of the dumber ones.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: Look, I think it's going to be in the ballroom category because this is just going to be something for months and months now they got to drain it again.
Speaker 2: It's not like their plan work the first time.
Speaker 1: They got a better plan this time because apparently the ship they put down on the floor that reflecting people didn't work. It's so, is it the same jack off that's going to be doing the next round?
Speaker 2: Is so are they.
Speaker 4: Getting a new contract of blue rubber floating in their footing pool just nuking it with chemicals?
Speaker 1: Well so bunny, because when the whole thing started, they were like, it seems kind of strange'shiring just like a pool guy.
Speaker 4: It's like, nah, he's got it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: It's also funny that last time we recorded, I think the Department of Interior was just posting fake pictures of the pool as blue and saying everything's great, And so they thought that was their plan for all. They were just gonna AI either way through it. And I guess now they're like, all right, the AI stuff didn't work, so now we're gonna have to blame some fake vandals and now we're gonna so.
Speaker 1: We're not that far away from like the government posting great news. Everybody gases down to eleven dollars a gallon, you're all getting more chocolate this week, your chocolate rations are up.
Speaker 3: So one renovation that did go well for Trump this week the brand new Katari Force one that he'll be flying around in and ultimately taking with him when he leaves the White House as a parting gift. The government won't say how much we all paid to retrofit the new plane, though the Secretary of the Air Force set in a hearing last year that it would probably be less than four hundred million dollars. Privately, the Air Force said it would use some of its nuclear modernization funds to pay for upgrading the plane, because why do we need those? And sure enough, a month later there was an unexplained nine hundred million dollar transfer from a nuclear account to an unnamed classified project. They are called the Plane project classified, which is why they're not revealing any if the costs. Not that Trump wants you to think this thing was done cheaply. He's actually proud of how much money it costs.
Speaker 10: Here he is now this plane was transformed into a flying White House at a level of luxury that nobody's ever seen before, probably even almost outside of an aeroplane.
Speaker 6: It's nobody's ever seen anything like this.
Speaker 1: Nobody's ever seen anything, not even it's nicer than any room outside of an airplane.
Speaker 2: That's all but a very small set of rooms.
Speaker 3: There's also there's still another two air Force ones on order. This is just what the Pentagon is calling a bridge aircraft.
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna steal it after that's this is the bridge one, because is when he takes to go. Is the the go one. This is the dog gonna take with him.
Speaker 3: How old do you think this one pulls?
Speaker 4: I mean I talked to Maggie and Jonathan Swan about this. In their book, they report that Katar initially wanted to be paid one hundred fifty to two hundred million dollars for the plane. Oh and then suddenly the plane was a gift. And they report that the idea for making a gift was quote generated at the potus level. So it's just part of this ongoing corruption story. I think this has really become a monument to the corruption, and it really broke through in the moment. And I do think this is a big problem for him politically, to the extent that he cares. I mean, it is a problem for him politically, But like one of his superpowers, as we all remember, is that the years of branding on The Apprentice and with the Art of the Deal was that he was a brilliant businessman and he was rich, and he didn't need this job, and he had all the money he wanted. This was really a sacrifice was coming into government and this the plane. The narrative around the corruption has really pierced that narrative, and you would think he would care, but then we watch him do like a rollout of his corrupt gifts, very proud, where he does remarks and like a stage photo op.
Speaker 3: So you think the Katari's are feeling like they got their money's worth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or this worked out great.
Speaker 3: You think they give this free airplane and look what they got. They got round blowing their shit up and uh, their economy in trouble because of the war in the Middle East. The Trump caused, I don't know if they feel like.
Speaker 1: They got sitting there next to JD doing track changes in the fucking document. No, no, no, we can't do that. They're not doing that. They're not doing that. That that that that the uh it is like, you know, it's interesting the difference between term one and term two with Trump, right, because term one, like he felt like he got all the kind of he gets all the prestige and benefits of being present. He loves having that plane, and he would do speeches in front of the plane.
Speaker 2: He loves doing that.
Speaker 1: And it was always such a bummer to have Trump, you know, garner the prestige of the White House right like he had that power behind him, which he which he did, uh, and and that included Air Force one. It was like, oh so, just so, you know, sad to see a Donald Trump representing our country on that plane. And now we're gonna have this new version of the plane that looks different and it's actually his plane that he's taking with him. And so now whenever he gets off the plane, we're gonna have this little symbol of corruption behind him in every shot. And he's gonna still use it like he did the old one, but they were behind him. Is the proof that he is the most corrupt leader on earth, maybe the most corrupts certainly the most corrupt president in American history, right there on the tarmac.
Speaker 3: What do you guys think of the red, white, and blue.
Speaker 4: I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. Yeah, it looks pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I mean the old version I like the old version too, like the Robin z egg blue on the bottom, and like you know, that was also a little piece of history. I mean that was redesigned with by JFK in nineteen sixty two. He also spent a bunch of time, like personally with a designer named Raymond Lowie, like redesigning the look of Air Force one. And Trump just sort of trashed that as he's trashing the Kennedy Center and renaming that and all these other monuments and institutions. So it's a piece of a puzzle. But yeah, I mean aesthetically it's like it's a sick plane.
Speaker 1: As far as Donald Trump being in charge of any kind of design, I feel like he did. He didn't fuck it up too badly.
Speaker 2: It looks good.
Speaker 1: I could have passed. No, I thought it could have. We'll see what the inside looks like. Yeah, we haven't seen the inside yet.
Speaker 3: I saw a few pictures.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I haven't seen the I just saw the outside.
Speaker 3: I think it's just bigger and bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say the one thing that is incredibly ugly is they have instead of the kind of classic American flag on the back, on the tail, they have a waving American flag like cheap paint, Like it looks tacky and it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't fit with the design.
Speaker 3: It does fit with his design, yes, which is that makes okay good? At least there's some Trump on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So instead of having just sort of a classic straight American flag as you would, that's not waving because it's not a fucking flag. It's a painting of a flag, so you don't need to paint it waving. They painted the cheesy waving thing on it, which looks like ass.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised he didn't put his name on it.
Speaker 4: I am too busy again. In the Maggie and Jonathan's book, they talk like, there's the scene where Caroline Leavitt walks into the Oval office and Trump is personally super gluing some little gaudy gold thing onto the mancilpiece. He's so personally engaged and invested in this stuff because.
Speaker 3: He's a bored old man, has no interest in governing. It's just like, why couldn't he go into It's interest in using the governing to make money for himself and his friends and to settle old scores. An interior that's it. An interior design that's his hobby in golf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least like Howard Hughes had the decency to lock the door and fill the jars with piss Like this guy's just got It's just a different kind of of kind of old craziness of like putting your name on everything, putting gold on everything.
Speaker 4: The question of what does Katar think they got a good deal here is an interesting one because remember, in the first term, Qatar was briefly like blockaded by all the other countries in the Gulf, and then ultimately that deal was mediated by Jared Kushner. And interestingly, that mediation happened right around the time when the Kataris, I think, finally came in and bailed Jared out for like the six six to six Park gave or whatever real estate deal he had done that went terribly south, because they, you know, did the biggest real estate investment in Manhattan history right.
Speaker 3: Before the financial crisis.
Speaker 4: So it's interesting, though, these guitar is tiny and super isolated and pisses all its friends off through Al Jazeera and its foreign policy choices, and I think they wanted to get well with Trump. But then of course the Iran stuff kind of complicates the Ledger here on whether this worked out well.
Speaker 3: And look now they gave a plane to one president. Now the expectation is gonna be that every American president gets a plane.
Speaker 1: For I know, here's a plane. If you do as a favor and stop causing foreign policy disasters that lead to our hotels exploding, that would be great, if you could just we gave you the fucking planet. We got a rosewood on fire here. We're trying to convince people that it's awesome and no big deal that we're this close to these two iran.
Speaker 3: And As aren't doing it we need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesus Christ, you know, yeah, the gay people can't hold hands. But we got a fucking four seasons going. Can you help us out.
Speaker 3: Trying to build an even taller building.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Patzi America is brought to you by Helix.
Speaker 4: Sleep is I think maybe the most important thing in my life. When I get a good night's sleep, I feel great. I'm ready to tackle my day and better at work, better at being a parent, better at working out, better at eating everything. And when you get a bad night's sleep, it sucks and you feel and your body hurts, and you're just not as ready to live.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 4: Now I was ready to be alive.
Speaker 3: Love it now.
Speaker 4: One important part of getting a great night's sleep is having a great mattress, and Helix will deliver one right to your door with free shipping in the US. How do you know which mattress is right for you? And take the Helix Sleep quiz and you get matched with the perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. They have over twenty mattress models so you can find the perfect model for you be happy with. Helix Guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. Plus, Helix offers a one hundred and twenty night sleep trial and limited lifetime warranty. We have a Helix mattress at our house. It is unbelievably comfortable. We actually have it in the guest room, so whenever folks come and stay with us, they'll always say, what a comfortable bed, What a great night's sleep? And we say, you know what, Helix, I can send one to you tomorrow. Go to helixsleep dot com. Slash Crooked for twenty percent off site wide, twenty five percent off Lux mattresses, and thirty percent off Elite mattresses. That's Helix Sleep dot Com slash Crooked for twenty percent off site wide, twenty five percent off Lux mattresses, and thirty percent off Elite mattresses. Helixsleep dot Com slash Crooked.
Speaker 1: Poddave America is brought to you by Smalls. Smalls makes fresh human grade food for cats. It's made from the same stuff you or I would eat, but formulate it specifically.
Speaker 2: To help cats thrive.
Speaker 1: Cats are obligate carnivores, you need lots of I don't know what an obligate.
Speaker 2: Carnivor eve just a carnivore?
Speaker 3: What a what a helpful description?
Speaker 2: Yea, I guess we're we're we're we're what is it called a multivor?
Speaker 3: What is what a humaniverse?
Speaker 1: We're not omnivore. That's our omnivore. That's wrong omnivore. I love being omnivore.
Speaker 3: The multiverse pluma.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be an obligate carnivore like one of those meat people from YouTube The.
Speaker 2: Little King over here.
Speaker 1: Those meat people are just their faces are bright red. You can see every vein in their body like I've never felt better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that. You know what feeling better is back in your cat.
Speaker 1: And the point is your cat got I keep that cat healthy, and that means meat. Both cat food out there uses meat byproducts and cuts their food with cheap grain, filler, artificial ingredients. Basically, it's full of stuff that isn't great for your cat, just so the big pet food companies can save a couple of dollars. Smalls is different. Their fresh recipes are over eighty percent animal protein and they never use fillers or artificial ingredients. Their food is so healthy that eighty eight percent of cat parents say that after feeding Smalls they notice that their cat has better digestion, softer and shinier coats, I spom and have more energy to play. Because it's actually good for cats. If you want to invest in your cat's health, Smalls is giving you sixty percent off your cat's first order, plus free shipping and free treats for life. When you go to smalls dot com, slash crooked your life with a cat's life? You know good, honestly good question smalls dot com slash crookeet that's sixty percent out of your first order, plus free shipping and free treats for life when you had to smalls dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 3: All right, you get a chance last week to talk about the latest with the Bill POULTI saga. Well, surprise, this corrupt moron has now taken over for Tulsey Gabbert as the acting Director of National Intelligence, a development that both Democrats and Republicans had tried to avoid. As Senator Mark Warner explained to Tommy, the original plan was to immediately confirm Trump's permanent pick for the job, federal prosecutor and former SEC Chair Jay Clayton. But Trump got wind of that and announced that he was pulling back Clayton's nomination until Clayton's replacement at SDNY is approved by the Senate, all but ensuring that Paulty gets at least some time on the job. Why do you guys think that Trump didn't want his own pick? Jay Clayton confirmed as soon as possible he did pick him.
Speaker 1: Was it hard to be inside of his mind? I think there's two things going on. One is the maschinations around Faiza and getting the SDNY confirmed, who is a former federal prosecutor but also his personal lawyer at I think Solomon Crsullivan and Cromwell, I think is where he is. So he sort of wants to get one of his guys in at SDN Y fine. I think also, Uh, Bill Poulty can do a lot of damage being d and I for a couple of weeks, get some get some good, get good good political prosecutions going if he wants. That's what he did when he was going through the mortgage documents, uh and trying to find ways to go after uh Comy and Tiss James and all the rest.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, let's get it.
Speaker 1: He gets it, you know, get your fingers into the all the intelligence you want for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: That's valuable.
Speaker 3: Apparently, someone a source familiar told CNN just before we recorded that Paulty is going to start carrying out firings, that the deep state firings have begun, and that part of it is to I guess, get him in there so he can fire a bunch of fucking deep state people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Mark Warner, when I talked to him, was so concerned about Bill Poulti's accessed information or being in the job even for a minute, that he was basically ready to unanimously con just like confirm Clayton by UC just like push him forward and get it done. I think that Trump's weird gambit here is like he's mad that Republicans told him no about anything, so he's going to just freak out and decide to change the kind of up the ante. I think he genuinely seems to think that he can use the bypart is in desire to pass a very important intelligence collection program as a way to shoehorn in the Save Act and get that done. Which is there crazy bill to like tackle the made up problem of non citizen voter registration just doesn't happen. But then with perspective Pulty like, I think the question is does he want him to root around intelligence information, find stuff about his enemies and then refer to the dj or do something with it, or does Trump just want a purge of d and I employees. I don't really get why he couldn't have had Telsea Gabbert do a polled purge of dn I employees.
Speaker 3: Also seems like Jake Clayton would be happy to do that too. Jake Clayton has not some like like, yeah, he's better than Bill Poulty, but he's been very loyal to Trump.
Speaker 4: He's very mad. I do think he's a serious person, who's you know, serious prosecutor was you know, uh was the sec. Yeah, you know, so he's like had big jobs and hopefully like brings some relevant experience to this job. Plt.
Speaker 3: He's obviously a clown. Speaking of Toolsy Gabbard, did either of you guys read the insane Washington Post story about the uh, the the cults she grew up in that maybe still controls her wild wild story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those things where because it's coming out after she's gone, it's like, oh, well she shouldn't be dni well and she's not. But man, you kind of the thing that I took away from it is one of the things about Tulsi Gabbard. I think that is she's just a puzzle. She's just kind of confusing figure her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like a few more pieces went into place after that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it was always like, wait, she you know, she introduces Bernie at the convention. She used to be seen as on the left. She was anti war, had this strange refusal to criticize Asad then goes in this Trump direction. It was all just confusing her. She was ideologically confusing. And then you dig into it and there's this collection of memos. First of all, you've never seen anything like it, just random. There's collection of memos that seem to be from this figure, the sort of religious leader inside of her life. These kind of like harsh, like insulting directives coming all the time in her direction. What she should say on television, what bills she should intu do, is how should she talk about certain issues? They deny that it's him. There's a lot of denials in the thing. But there's also references inside of these memos to his own life that don't refer to anybody else.
Speaker 3: And also she said, there's like they matched like what she actually said on TV and the legislation she introduced, and they match exactly to all these memos with this person was telling her to do these things. Yes.
Speaker 1: And then on top of that, you have this collection of people. It's all this sort of strange bit of it's very cultish. It's also very like ham fisted and silly and amateur that they have a collection of people running dummy accounts to comment under articles on Hawaii newspapers about Tulsi, and there's like on Twitter and all the rest. It's this little kind of ramshackle, small operation. And then at one point, which I thought it spoke to the kind of I don't know what kind of like master plan they thought they were implementing that that once Trump started running, There's one of the notes says something along the lines of it, it's a shame you're not running because he's doing what you were gonna do. It's like, be president, are what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: She?
Speaker 4: I mean, she ran, and she thinks apparently thinks the D and I as a platform to run again and wants to try. And it's apparently the thing that she and Trump had gotten in fights about because you know, remember she put out that weird video after getting back to Hiroshima talk about nuclear annihilation. It was like, clearly the context was in the midst of both the Putin and Russia talks but also the Iran negotiations, and Trump, I guess yelled at her about it. I mean, my reaction to the story was somewhere to yours love it, which is like she's such a bizarre character, and like maybe this helps us understand this fucking weirdo, that she was just taking a literal direction from a cult leader. I hope it will get her out of politics forever and that she will not run for president again apparently, Like I think, was it Roger Stone or Steve In one of those guys thinks that she could actually run. But it's fucking it's crazy. And this person with the Director of National Intelligence like sort of speaks to the utter failure of vetting.
Speaker 3: For any of these individuals, yeah, or the success of the vetting, because it seems like this is who he wants to stack his administration with. You got RFKGI conspiracy theorist kooks. I mean John Swayne who wrote the story he said with this with his Washington Post colleague Aaron Schaeffer, I compared Gabbard's remarks in thirty two TV interviews but between twenty fourteen and twenty sixteen, with the talking points memos intended for them. This is what the cult leader wrote, although he didn't sign his name to them, but they're all from the same person. On twenty four occasions out of the thirty two, Gabbard us language in the memos almost verbatim. So this is like her entire congressional career, She's just going on TV and saying the war. I mean, this is like, this is like a right wing conspiracy, but it's real what they think of, like you know, like democrats being controlled by global forces. Like here's Tulsi Ga just going on TV introducing legislation that this random cult leader told her to.
Speaker 1: What's funny too, is they're trying to now say they're like, oh, this is just anti anti Hindu bigotry, when I say, there's nothing, there's nothing Hindu going on. And and then there's the one line that I thought was greatest. There was some line that was this was the one said, no matter how much you basically to paraphrase it, don't worry no matter how much you fuck up tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: And Krishna loved you, which I do really appreciate. There was one memo that I thought was very funny because it was it was very uh. It was about some statements she gave a leave after the State of the Union, and it was actually had some like very good advice, which was something along the lines of like, hey, you just gave a generic, boring statement. You sound like a politician. If you have nothing to say, don't say anything. But you only have something to say if you're prepared.
Speaker 3: Let's this, let's get this guy in a democratic campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't do worse. That's worse than a lot of the guy. A lot of consultants we've got going by.
Speaker 4: The range of the advice was funny. It was like, introduced this exact policy, and then some emails would be like stop doing the weird eye thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, then doing it?
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 3: I read that and I was like, she does do a weird thing. Yeah, he was something.
Speaker 2: There reminded me.
Speaker 1: There was I remember there was somebody when I was working for Hillary at some point uh uh, she went to the floor to speak on the Senate floor by some issue, and one of the consultants accidentally respond replied, all meanting this and send the note to just one person, And the email just said something like how could you let Hillary go out there looking like shit like that?
Speaker 3: She was on the report.
Speaker 2: No Hillary, but the whole staff was.
Speaker 6: We all know.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. That was early in my days.
Speaker 1: I was not on a small email chain about Hillary in the no, no, no, I don't think she was.
Speaker 3: I don't think she was the one person would have been vaporized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just sort of blipped out of existence.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe we all need like a cult leader in our lives, given unvarnished feedback.
Speaker 3: You know that is true, for.
Speaker 2: That's the memos come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are. You can subscribe. Speaking of corrupt coons, we should talk about the wild and infuriating New York Times story that shed's new light on why Trump may have freed a convicted fraudster named David Gentile less than two weeks into a seven year sentence after Gentile stole over a billion dollars from what the Times calls thousands of mostly mom and pop investors. The commutation also meant Gentile no longer had to pay as much as fifteen and a half million dollars in restitution, while apparently, according to Ken Vogel at The Times, a couple of Trump's political appointees killed an early stage investigation by the office that prosecuted Gentile into how the clemency came about, including quote, jailhouse communications where he discussed making over two million dollars worth of payments to secure his freedom. The Times reported that one of the people who communicated with Gentile in prison and quote came under scrutiny by investigators was Reverend Frank Mann, a retired Catholic priest from Queen's whose friends with Trump and spoke at his inauguration last year. Wild What do you think is this the kind of thing democrats should investigate if they take Congress or does this fall into the category of things we can't really do much about because the pardon power is absolute.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've got to This is some of the most brazen corruption of the administration. And by the way, like again, a lot of there's going to be a lot of people that say we shouldn't be looking backwards. But one of the reasons we're gonna have to look backwards is that we understand what we need to do to fix it. And I like pardon reform, some kind of constitutional amendment is going to be on the table for how to protect our democracy. So I think we absolutely should be investigating this. One other reason to do it is there is daylight here between Trump and some of the people around Trump. Like if you notice the Caroline Levitt statement in that article says something like the idea that people would be trying to profit off of clemency is like repugnant or something to that.
Speaker 3: Effect, and at least cut Trump in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let the man get his beak wet, all right. He's got a lot of it's got a lot of renovation.
Speaker 1: He's got to do a lot of interior decorator, He's got a lot of expenses, a lot of renovation projects. But so there's also apparently in this story, according to the story, after the reports that this retired priest had taken cash, Trump called is true because cuarly, Trump, on his word, had commuted this guy's sentence. And there's one point in the story where it seems as though this former priest accidentally but dialed the reporter and left a message while he was talking about meeting with Trump and having lunch with him. So I do think we should be investigating this. I do think there's just an incredible amount of corruption going on around Trump around related to these pardons and commutations.
Speaker 3: When you love to hear the conversation between Trump and the priest when he asked him if it was hi, yeah, yeah, if he took any money, I loved it.
Speaker 4: I mean, Trump is immune from prosecution around the pardons, but the people selling pardons are not, so we should absolutely investigate the hell out of it and see if we can bring some of them to justice. And also, I think stories like this where you've got this corrupt guy who what defrauded one point six billion dollars worth of money from mom and pop investors is how it's described Like this directly connects the corruption to how it's hurting you. This is like kind of the exact sweet spot of the messaging. And again, good my facts. When I read this, first thought was like, oh, this is going to end up in a John Austin absolutely probably was already there like a video. Yeah, and then you know you heard this, you read this one, you read about this, and then you know again to talk to Maggie and Jonathan about this, but just all the examples of corruption, and Jonathan's.
Speaker 2: One was like they're.
Speaker 4: Very serious journalists, right, Like I'm trying to fuck around and they're just being you know, telling me just the.
Speaker 3: Facts of the reporting.
Speaker 4: And Swan like looks into the camera and he's like, I think we know about one percent of the corruption stories of that's actually happening here. So just the avenue is for investigative reporting, lawsuits, congressional oversight. Like, there's a million stories like this that we do not know that we are going to have to try to find out. And that's the only way I think that the Naga cult will ever realize that this man was taking advantage of them and harming them.
Speaker 3: By the way, doesn't take a leap of faith to believe these stories, like, oh, you think that a bunch of criminals, people who were convicted of crimes, including the President and this and this guy that he's setting commuted, You don't think that he was selling. He was in jail and thinking to himself, how do I get out? Well, I gotta have Donald Trump do it. Who can get to Donald Trump? Well, someone that maybe I can pay, Maybe this friend who's the Catholic priest whatever, and the retired Catholic priest who just happens to be Donald Trump's buddy. Of course this happened, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: And by the way, the story inside of this, like the retired priest cleaned up the gravesite of Trump's parents then sent the picture and that's what gets him invited. The whole thing reeks the whole thing just it's this, like, what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: It is the culture that Donald Trump created when he got to the White House and basically was like, Oh, I'm going to just pardon anyone who I want to pardon, and doesn't matter what kind of crime you committed. January sixth rioters, people who've defrauded people, whatever. He be like, if you can curry favor with me, and you know me and you're connected to me, you get a pardon. So of course an entire industry is going to spring up of people who sell access to Donald Trump for pardons.
Speaker 1: Cause that's why wouldn't you if your course, you're in jail, you know you're being in jail for ten years, and then all of a sudden, this glimmer of hope opens that if you get this money to some schmuck around Trump, some lobbyist or consultant around Trump, that that that you could potentially get out, He'll you'll walk away.
Speaker 4: It literally was just I'm gonna say, Sam bankerfree is like openly lobbying Trump for a pardon Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Is gonna be like I saw the guy who used the box cutter on the pool.
Speaker 4: I will bribe you, sir. But also when the president, when the president United States takes a plane from the Katari government or sells half another signal crypto company and a secret deal to an Emoradi backed investment firm, everyone around him sees that, and that you know, approach to governing filters through everyone else and they're all thinking, how do I get mine?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also will say too that you know, there's a I think there's sort of this sort of like fatigue and you're like, wow, any one of these scandals would have defined a previous administration. But like Trump, we get we sort of get glamored by the ways in which there's always a new scandal and a new controversy. But this is also this is Republicans in Congress because if the reason it got to this point, the reason we have this level of corruption, is because there have been multiple scandals which if they had marched to the podium and say this stops today, it could have stopped, and they chose not to.
Speaker 4: They are responsible for this.
Speaker 3: They are the ones that are enabling this every day. Yeah. The corrective for this in the Constitution is of course impeachment. And you know there's obviously going to be a question if Democrats take Congress back to impeae Trump, because it's obviously not going to go anywhere. There's part of me that thinks, like you just do it as a matter of fact, like, hey, look at all this corruption. If Republicans actually voted to convict part of what we want to do is get some of this money back for the American people that he stole from the American treasury and from the American people. We don't expect Republicans to actually vote for this, but we want to go on record and realize that, like this is the president committed a bunch of crimes, stole a bunch of money from people, Like you have to make a big deal of it. I don't know. I'm still thinking about it, like I don't. It is hard to go to that path because it takes up a lot of oxygen. But again, when someone when a president does kind of this kind of thing, when he abuses the pardon power, when he's this corupt when he's stealing from the American people, the remedy in the Constitution is to impeach the guy. And if you don't do that, then you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, both impeachments were vehicles to educate the country.
Speaker 2: We learned a lot in those.
Speaker 3: Case those why did it work?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Well, the hearing you know, the yeah, and then even the January sixth hearings that came later I think were really important. No, they did not work, because here we are. But I do think like at a certain point, yes, there will be strategic argument against that. I get that, but like, man, have we done a lot of overthinking about strategy to end up in this place too?
Speaker 3: Yeah? All right, now, you guys get to hear when we come back more about all of Trump's machinations in the second term. When Tommy talks to Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan right after this Potsive America is brought to you by cook Unity. I love cook Unity And I just had a meal last night. What did I have last night? I had the Thaie beef curry. It was with rice. And who knows what I'm going to have tonight. Maybe it's like a good chicken dish they gave me. Anyway, I've used Coomunity for years, long before they were ever a sponsor. It's great. It's the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US, not factories, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you'd get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin starred chefs, James Beard winners and Food Network stars. Go to cookmunity dot com slash crooked or use code crooked before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. Every Cookmunity meal is handcrafted by chefs in local micro kitchens, not mass produced in large facilities. Fresh, never frozen, and can be refrigerated f forro up to seven days. Cook Unity uses real culinary talent cooking in real kitchens, not a brand slapping a chef's name on a factory product. Cooke Community works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small batched meals just for you. Go to cookunity dot com slash cricket or into code cricket before check out to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code Cricket or going to cookunity dot com slash crookeet.
Speaker 4: Today, I am thrilled to be joined by the authors of the new book Regime Change Inside the Imperial Presidency of Donald Trump. Maggie hereman Jonathan Swan. Great to see you both, Thanks for having us, Thank you for doing this. So first of all, congrats on the book and forgetting this thing into the world. I know a staggering amount of work went into this book. I think you wrote you have over a thousand interviews. That is remarkable, and the result is just this incredible page turner that provides a level of insight into how Donald Trump operates and how this administration works that I just haven't found everywhere else. And I'm a I'm a total sicko, and I follow this for a living, and I follow these people for a living, and I was learning a lot. And I know you both are sickos who follow every move of this president. Maggie, I know you have the good fortune of getting to know him back in New York a long time ago, so you guys know the subject as well as anyone. So my first question is just a general one, which is, for both of you, what's the top line takeaway for you in terms of what do you think is changed from Trump one point zero to Trump two point zero? And then after that, I was hoping you both could just sort of tell us about the experience of bringing this reporting to Donald Trump and having to interview him about it.
Speaker 3: Why don't we start with you, Maggie.
Speaker 13: Sure.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 13: One of the things that we tried to convey in this book, and I think we did, Tommy, is that this is just a fundamentally different term than Trump won. This is a very different presidency. This is not twenty seventeen anymore. This is not people who this president had never met before, serving not just throughout this administration but in his White House. This is a group of people who are deeply aligned with him, who had spent many, many years thinking of some of them, not all of them, but thinking about how they could use the levers of power for a specific agenda. Trump himself has been thinking about various aspects of this presidency, one of which he's been very open about, which is retribution. And you are seeing a president wheeled power in a way that is fundamentally changing the way people look at America around the globe the way Americans interact with their president, and certainly not in our lifetime that we've seen this. I'm not sure there has been something like this. And we tried to show additionally to his unique qualities, never admitting defeat, never having any shame, refusing to be thrown out of the arena, the various factors outside of his control that added to that. But he is coming back to what had came back to Washington with a very, very different climate. It was a completely cowed Republican Congress, tech leaders, count donors, law firms who were facing threats of executive orders, media companies that were concerned about being targeted by the government. And he has very happily wielded that power.
Speaker 14: I agree with everything Maggie said. It's really hard to emphasize sufficiently how different this is from term one. It's almost unrecognizable in the way he's operating as president. And I'll just give you one kind of other way to think about it, which is in term one, he was quite reactive to domestic politics. He you know, the polls were down. He will be reactive to that stock market. You know, what's it doing? Today, What did he last see on TV? And I still think that's a lens through which people are viewing him this term. I still see a lot of kind of commentary that kind of analyzes him through that term. Look, it's not binaries or black and white. It's not to say he doesn't care at all about those things in the mid terms, but he cares far less Donald Trump this term. We picked this up pretty early in our reporting, and it became very evident when we sat down finally across from him. He views himself and is trying to create this for himself as a capital g great man of history, as a sort of Napoleonic figure. And he literally handed us this two page document when we were there with him in the Oval office, which he said was written by a historian, and it compared him to what he described as the quote unquote top ten, Mao, Stalin Hitler, Alexander, the Great, Genghis Khan, Attila, the Hun, William the Conqueror, the Tamalay, the Caesars, the Caesars So and you know, I'm not sure that most American presidents would be happy about being included in that company. He was relishing this comparison. It wasn't a moral comparison. There was actually very almost no mention of morality or values in this document. It was purely comparing them on the metric of power. And the assertion that this quote unquote historian made was that Donald Trump is the most powerful man who's ever existed on the planet because he's in charge of the United States, the most powerful military it's ever existed, the most powerful technology that's ever existed, but that he's also that he's willing to use that power. And you know, as peculiar as the source of this information was, it actually turned out not to be a historian. It was Gary Player, the golfer's for for Mechadic. But setting that aside, the thesis actually was not so dissimilar to the reporting that we had been doing, which is, this is a president now who is willing to take enormous risks, enormous risks on the global stage, whether it be going in and snaw a sovereign head of state out of his bedroom in his pajamas without even talking to Congress, whether it be starting a new war in the Middle East without even talking to Congress, starting a trade war against the whole world, which he did last April. He wants to put his imprint on the world and this country and build monuments to himself. And he's far less concerned about whatever the latest polls are, or the midterm elections or the future of the Republican Party than he is making Donald Trump a capital g great man of history.
Speaker 4: Wow, Gary Players, Caddie, what a okay, hot start, guys, this is That's an amazing anecdote. Okay, So there's so much I would ask you about. I personally think for me, the corruption has been the most shocking part of the second term. We could go to the list. There's the stock trades. There's the people trading on the Maduro operation on Kelshi. There's the secret half a billion dollar sale of the crypto business to the Amorati backed firm. There's the pardons. There's the jet. The list literally goes on and on. But I want to focus on the jet for a minute because you report in the book that Katar initially wanted to be paid between one hundred and fifty to two hundred million dollars for the plane, but then suddenly the plane was a gift, and you said, the idea for making it a gift was quote generated at the potus level. And I was wondering if you could unpack what that means a little bit, and then just your sense of Trump's general mindset about using his office to make money and how that mindset has sort of extended or not to his family, his staff and the people around him.
Speaker 13: Is so working backwards on that one, Tommy on the Katari jet, and that was really the first Neon sign example of what we saw with this president. Outside of the crypto business which came into existence in twenty twenty four during the campaign, that alone was a norm that was completely shattered. We've not seen a president do something like that before. It speaks to a mindset that is across this government. It is certainly clear for this president, and it is clear for members of his family that they feel like they gave up a lot. I mean they openly say this, we gave up a lot because the Trump ran, we were under investigation. We lost lots of money, We lost you know, golf tournaments at our clubs and so forth. And there's no laws prohibiting this, and there's nothing that stops this. And Trump openly said this to some of our colleagues earlier this year actually, and he also said, you know, nobody cared that he was trying to adhere to some guidelines. There were people who cared. It just didn't violate laws, and presidents or exempt as most people know from ethics laws in a different way. So this jet was initially described by we actually I think we're the first people to write about the fact that they were thinking about this jet. Suddenly there was this memo, this joint memo from the DOJ and the White House Council, and it was that there was nothing that was going to prohibit the government from accepting this jet and then it being transferred over to the Trump Library. It is true there have been times in history of this country when the Defense Department has accepted gifts right in the forms of plane or aircraft or whatever, not usually quite like this. And yes, this was an older jet that the Katari royal family had used. It was not brand new. They, according to our reporting, did initially want to sell it, and then it suddenly became a gift and generated at the post level. In our understanding was it was conversations that people close to the president were having with counterparts elsewhere as to how to acquire this. I think there is still a lot to be learned about how it happened. But remember the President described this as a free jet, that this would no tax payer money would go to it. In fact, it has cost several hundreds and millions of dollars in taxpayer upgrades to make it safe for President's It's just got delivered in recent days. So that was one example that made clear that we were just in a very, very different world. It took months of reporting by the Wall Street Journal to uncover that secret sale of a forty nine percent stake in the Trump crypto company that they have with the Whitcoff family too. I think it was an emiati Royal backed company, Royal family backed company. There are other deals that the Trump family is engaged in, and again the posture has been nothing prohibits this, We're allowed to It's so latent and on a scale we have just never seen before. There have obviously been accusations of self dealing from presidents in the past, this is unlike anything that I can recall seeing and really being written about in modern history at any rate. And I do think that the public is starting to pick up on it that is puncturing something that he had been able to hang on to for a long time, which was the sense that he is a successful businessman. He didn't gain anything from this. There is a recurring theme and it's hard to ignore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Jonathan, I mean staying on this corruption piece. We've heard about the ballroom, We've heard about the arc to Trump, the pack fundraising. You guys do a bunch of reporting on the Trump Presidential Library Fund. You in fact, you report that Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik personally donated twenty five million dollars to the Trump Presidential Library Fund, and that this donation came after reports about Lutnix kids maybe making money off of administration policy in a way that was deemed unsavory in the press. I'd love to hear more about that. And then also, can you talk about you know, it sounds like Eric Trump is leading a very aggressive effort to raise money that includes individuals like Mohamma bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, sovereign wealth funds in the Gulf, just sort of blatant conflicts of interest.
Speaker 3: I'd love to hear more about it.
Speaker 14: People around Trump have described to us that they want to raise two billion dollars for his presidential library. And if you've seen it, it's essentially a tower that looks like the Freedom Tower that sort of tow is a of the Miami skyline. It in no way is it a presidential library. And you've seen like the montage if you go in there and there's like as you it's like a gold statue of Donald Trump and restaurants and god knows what else. So the reason we found about the Howard Lutnik example is in the Oval office, Trump brings it up that there was something that Howard said, and Trump said, this is in front of a group of people, basically something to the effect of the only reason I put up with Howard's bullshit is he gave me twenty five million dollars. And you know what Trump just the way he talks, and you know, and and other times you say, you know, Howard's so great. I just asked him for the money and he immediately gave it to me, or some version of that. But what we also found is that people around Trump, Eric Trump and others have been approaching and discussing with golf monarchies funding this library, and often the trail heads back to the golf. You know, this is what makes a lot of this so remarkable is you have an administration that is conducting foreign policy dealing with the golf, I mean, selling chips, highly advanced chips to the Emirates at the same time as the Emirates are putting two billion dollars into the Trump and Witcoff family crypto business. You have the Katari Jet that the Trump family business doing all kinds of deals in the Middle East, and then the business of state. It's just one giant, you know, playground really with no borders between well put it, let's just say it's very hard sometimes to delineate the borders between official business and private business, and so that it's almost impossible to cover because I truly think we only know one percent, maybe five percent of what's going on. And this is a story that are colleagues have done phenomenal reporting on, people like Eric Lipton the Wall Street Journal, and now this. You know, we've done this, you know, modest part of it that we've tried to contribute in this book. But my Lord, like we have I don't think we really have a concept of the breadth and depth of this yet, I really don't know.
Speaker 13: And one thing to tell me that I would just add is that figure two billion dollars. It's double to a presidential library that I think you might be familiar with. And our understanding from our reporting is that that's not a coincidence. President Trump has never stopped being very focused on President Obama, but he was also, in our reporting found delighted that President Biden is having a very hard time fundraising, and that just made him want to do more. But to Jonathan's point, the models that they have for this library, it's a hotel, is how it's conceived. And they are also still planning on taking Skutari jet with them. I don't know what that looks like for air Force one for another president in two and a half years. But Jonathan is right that there is a there is a lot more to be learned here where we don't pretend to think we have covered the waterfront.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the crypto transactions alone, are you know, you can't possibly follow who is buying Trump coin or Milannia coin on any given day. I mean, the opportunities for corruption are just staggering.
Speaker 3: Maggie.
Speaker 4: One thing that reading the book really helped me understand in a new way was just how chaotic the management of the country. And then Trump's own time when he's in the Oval Office really is. You describe Trump's time in the Oval Office not really as a day that is structured with meetings, but more like kind of a rolling bull session with some advisors whoever's in town visiting. You guys report on the scene where like there's some poor NSC goons in the corner trying to get signed off on a classified program. On the other side of the office, someone's on speakerphone from mar A Lago. The fucking decorator walks in with like rug samples. There's thing that blows up the whole conversation.
Speaker 13: The pavers for the Rose Gardens.
Speaker 4: Tell us about like paint us a picture of what it's like inside the Oval Office and how decisions are getting made.
Speaker 13: Yeah, look, I mean we describe, as you say, this setting and it's we're describing sort of an average day, right, And you could take any given moment over the course of the last seventeen months, whatever seventy and a half months, and one meeting collides into the next. And Trump often invites people in to take part in other meetings.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 13: One example of that in the book is the meeting where Laura Lumer is listing people at the NSC and elsewhere in the government who she is telling the president or against him, and Scott Perry, the Congressman, comes in for a separately scheduled meeting, and then they start talking and then and so there are constant scenes like this, and it has just become very familiar to everybody in Trump's world. It's how he functioned at mar A Lago, It's how he functioned at Trump Tower. Some of this was the case in Term one is it is much more expansive now in terms of how the government is being managed. What was really striking to us, and we do describe this and the reporting in the book is just how small a group of people running this government is. If they are there's a there's a handful of people, and at their agencies at the State Department, at the Pentagon, at the CIA, at OD and I. You can go down the list, and if they are not people leading those agencies are not in the room with the president, if they're not in the Oval office, they often don't know what's going on. You know, one of the things that we talk about a lot is the fact that this administration makes a show of transparency, but they actually are quite good at keeping secrets when they want to and prefer it. There is a great deal that is kept secret, so much so that in the lead up to the Iran war on February twenty eighth, the Energy Secretary and the treasure Secretary had not been part of most of the meetings. The two people who would be impacted by a global energy crisis the most in this government were not part of it. Because this government is also very paranoid and worried about leaks. And that's also why you see the situation room is the way it is so often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's probably not gonna be helped by your book because we're all reading about the big freak out about you know, everyone wondering about your sourcing, which I will not ask you to comment on. But Jonathan, related to the kind of management question is just the picture you paint of how Trump gets information. For example, you guys report that Trump was kind of largely oblivious about this massive fight within MAGA that is erupted over US support for Israel, and that anecdote really shocked me because I mean it seemed like everyone was talking about and reporting on it, and usually he has a pretty good, you know, sort of antenna for the base, and it made me wonder about his information diet generally, which you guys, I think describe as information from Fox News and then positive news printed out by a staffer named Natalie Harp. Can you tell folks who Natalie Harp is and sort of more about this information diet and whether does any news break through to Donald Trump that is factual but bad for him at this point.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's quite as black and white as that, but it's not far off what you just described. Natalie Harp is a young woman who has worked for Donald Trump for a few years. Used to be an anchor on o An, which is a far right network. She one story that Maggie and I broke, and it's mentioned in the book. She's basically the most devoted, let's say, to Donald Trump, more than anyone we've ever seen. She writes him these She has written him numerous letters that she's left for him, including one that says you are all that matters to me, or some version of that. Raised the eyebrows of the Secret Service during the campaign, some of these met letters that were left in some of his private quarters, and she's just totally devoted him. In Oval Office meetings, she sits on the chair the side of the room with her laptop open and Trump they call her the human printer. So Trump basically just says, Natalie, get me this, or he's, you know, google this. We have a scene in the book where during the trade war or lead up to the Liberation Day, where he declares a trade war against the whole world, where he's just not believing the trade and up the deficit numbers that Howard Lutnik is giving him, and he says, Natalie, google me the real numbers. So she's you know, furiously googling, you know, And of course the real numbers don't exist, because what Secretary Lucky Dick had given him were actually the real ROAs. So that's who she is. His information diet has constricted, there's no question. In Term one he was scrolling Twitter a lot more, which just gave him much more exposure to just random things that were coming across the transom. He still does watch MSNBC, as you've noticed, when he rages against Joe Scarborough and Meeker, and you know, he'll still watch CNN and you know, but it's really Fox all the time and that whole world of the Manisphere podcast. He exploited that to his advantage very effectively during the campaign, but it wasn't like he was ever a consumer of it. Like Donal, Trump doesn't sit there listening to like Theo Vonne and Joe Rogan and Tucker Carlson's podcast. They might as well not exist. He'll occasionally hear, oh yeah, Joe Rogan's been criticizing you, but he's not tuned into that. He's just watching Fox and hearing largely from people who support him. You know, the patio Mara Lago is full of flatterers who are coming by you. Great job, You're doing an amazing job. Mister President. And his staff are people who largely believe in him, like him, not people like the first term who thought that he was dangerous or somebody that needed to be rained in. That's just not the dynamic at all. So and then he's got you know, outside people like Boris Epstein, who's his personal lawyer and enforcer, who you know, he is so positive to Trump that Trump even jokes about it. You know, he'll tell aids like, oh, I get indeted, and Boris tells me it's the best news ever. So that's I mean, that's the environment. You know, presidents always exist in a bubble, but this is a really thick bubble. This is an almost impenetrable bubble that Donald Trump exists in.
Speaker 13: He's also much less willing to believe the bad news is the other piece, frankly. I mean, people will bring him information and say things like, you know, we've always heard him say some version of you know, to Jonathan's point about you know, bring me the real numbers, the those pull numbers are fake, you know, the real ones are you know, Trafalgar or whatever, something that he considers to be more in line with how he sees the world. But it is hard for people who are trying to tell him that actually there are other things happening to get through to him that way. And just one addition to Jonathan's point about how often Fox is on Fox is far less critical just in the may of him than it was at various points in Turn one. Not you know, Fox was obviously not MSNBC, but he received more criticism on certain shows than he does it all now and that has an impact too.
Speaker 4: So that sort brings me my next question about the lowest moment. It wasn't a moment, It was the lowest several months, which was their handling of the Epstein files and mishandling of the Epstein files. I just want to get your read on how and why you think they mishandled it so badly? Is this because there's no good answers? Trump was really good friends with Jeffrey Epstein. He was for decades. He was a total creep at the time. Maybe like there's not great.
Speaker 3: Way to spin that.
Speaker 4: Did they misread the politics and not listen to the more online people like jd Vance who were warning them? And then relatedly, I mean, you guys have these incredible scenes in the situation room where Trump's team is trying to figure out how to do damage control for him, but the story keeps getting worse.
Speaker 3: We see the doodle that.
Speaker 4: Is in the Wall Street Journal that he put into the birthday book for Jeffrey Epstein. Did anyone you talk to say to you, like, you know what? It was personally pretty upsetting and demoralizing to learn that this guy we worked for was actually part of this cabal that we had promised to take down during the campaign.
Speaker 14: Well, I think at the start of all of this, the first thing to understand is that from a staff point of view, you're limited in what you can do when the person you're working for, the president, wants it all to disappear. He wanted this whole thing to disappear. I mean, he didn't want transparency, didn't want all this stuff to come out, and he would get snappy when people brought it up in his presence. So what the staff did was they had these conversations largely away from Donald Trump. They had them in the Situation Room for secrecy. You know, as you know Tommy from your time in the this is one of the most guarded rooms in the government as a national security command center. Essentially that they turned into a sort of Jeffrey Epstein crisis response center. And these are the top officials in the government sitting around the table trying to craft a pr strategy. What was evident to his staff very early on was that a. Donald Trump's name was all over these files. I mean the New York Times we found more than thirty eight thousand references to Trump and his family and places like Marra a Lago in these files. But it was also just a sense of not knowing really what was out there and not being able to have these candid conversations with Trump. I do think one thing you said is true, which is early on senior people on his team underestimated the political salience of this issue. And remember, for a lot of them who've gone through all kinds of scandal and crisis with Donald Trump, from their point of view, this is just another one. Why would this be different from you know, Access Hollywood or you know, go down the list. But it was, and it was very frustrating to Trump himself because he's so used to telling his base, think this, do this, and it shall be done. And this was this issue where, perhaps because some of his own people had helped, you know, whip up the hysteria and conspiracy about Epstein, the base just wasn't listening. The base just refused to kind of take direction on that, and it just hung around. And one thing we obtained in our reporting for the book is private focus group research that Trump's team did this year, not last year, this year, almost a full year after they first tried to start dealing with the Epstein thing. Epstein was still cutting through in these focused groups to an alarming extent for Trump's team. So, you know, all these meetings happened, but it was a turning point. I think we can now say with some level of confidence. Last summer is when Trump's political fortunes really started to decline. And one of Trump's advisors compared to Biden's decision to withdraw from Afghanistan as sort of the moment in the Biden had been when you start to see, you know, it's not dissimilar with with Epstein, and it's still a problem even to this day politically.
Speaker 4: Maggie, you know, you guys have reported on a bunch of folks of US reported on Trump enjoying to compare and publicly rank Rubio versus ged Vans. But you guys write that even early on, like back in twenty twenty one, I think that Trump's aids notice he had more personal chemistry with Marco Rubio than Advance. Now, Vance obviously wages a prett effective charm campaign. He goes from calling him, you know, comparing him to Hitler, to getting on the ticket. You write that Trump was impressed by Vance's intellect and good looks going to take issue with the part of that. But whatever, is this an endlessly fun parlor game and way to torture these guys or is he really trying to kind of constantly focused group and figure out the future of NAGA.
Speaker 3: How do you view it?
Speaker 13: A couple of things, But one is you mentioned the JD Vance criticism of Trump and the Hitler comment, which I think was made in a text exchange with someone. It's not like Marco Rubio was exactly subtle about Donald Trump. They ran against each other. There was a whole you know, Genitalia adjacent whatever on the primary debate state Oh sorry, it was just Genitaliam.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's a literal dick measuring contest that are round.
Speaker 13: So I'm just gonna leave it there with you, Tommy. So, I think that a couple of things. One, as you know very well. The second that somebody who is in office and is term limited, which the president is. Despite all of the conversation around this, once they endorse somebody, they stop being quite as relevant and their lame duck status starts to increase. Donald Trump is not exactly somebody who is going to disappear quietly into that good night as we've been saying throughout this episode number one. So he's in no rush for that because he sees this as his party and his movement for a variety of reasons. I do think it is fun for him. I do think he enjoys it. As long as he has been in politics, he has done this. He did this with Mike Pence and Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie in twenty sixteen. In the immediately in the lead up to when he announced that it was Pence, he was still leaving the idea open that it might be Chris Christy, still which he'd already offered it to Pence. So yes, there is the game aspect of it. It's hard to look at the existing fundamentals of the modern Republican Party and the MAGA movement and not see how JD. Van is still very much the prohibitive front runner. Now, obviously lights can change, but I also don't think that Donald Trump is going to completely defy reality if that's where it's going. But again, these predictions are not worth a whole lot. I do think we will continue to see much more of this's going forward, but it's totally.
Speaker 14: On an interpersonal level. It's just it's totally bizarre. I mean, we have a lot of this in the book. But we have a scene in the book where Rupert Murdoch comes to the White House for dinners. We're sitting on the same table as Trump in the Blue Room of the White House, and JD. Vance and Marco Rubio are at the table, and Trump right there with the both of them at the table, asks Rupert Murdoch to assess each of them, and Murdoch gives Marco Rubio a much more hearty, you know, endorsement than Vance. I mean, this is what Trump is subjecting his vice president too. I think the only thing we can confident of is that he's not going to make it comfortable or easy for him. He's just going to keep doing this. It's just who he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the quotes you have is Murdock says I think JD. Has the potential to be great, and of Rubio, he says, Marco is brilliant. So that, yeah, that'd be tough to hear. Uh So, Jonathan, I've tracked the Trump foreign policy closely. I just find it particularly interesting and since the beginning I've been trying to understand the emergence of Steve Witkoff, who, for the listeners is like Trump's real estate and golf buddy turned diplomatic envoy for for everything. This anecdote from the book blew my mind. So you have this scene where witcough is, I believe in Moscow meeting with Vladimir Putin. The anecdote goes like this, what are you drawing, Sir? Wikoff asked Putin held up a piece of paper in thick, looping penstrokes. It said three plus two, which is shorthand for the territorial framework that wick Cooff had discussed with him. Three oblists Russia would keep out right and two where the fighting would freeze in place.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 4: Can you can you sign that for me and I can take it home? Witkoff asked. Putin signed the drawing, and Wikoff brought it home, where he had it framed in black with tope matts. So two questions for listeners, like, basically what Wikoff is asking to be framed? There is a piece of paper that would memorialize an agreement that would be capitulation for the Ukrainians. And I think a lot of people would argue validates Putin's decision to invade Ukraine, which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Why would Wikoff want that?
Speaker 3: In your view?
Speaker 4: And then, more importantly, what do you make of Witkoff's emergence and his motivations, Because by all accounts, he seems like a very nice man, one who seemingly is in over his head, understandably by the way I think anyone would be in his position. But also it's hard not to see his son's role at world's liberty, financial the crypto business, and worry about conflicts of interest and corruption.
Speaker 14: So Steve Wikoff has no before this term, had no diplomatic experience full stop, no foreign colicy experience full stop. There is a commonality at the most senior levels of Trump world, which is a contempt for subject matter expertise and subject matter experts. Jared Kushner would often to others speak with contempt about you know, people who've worked on Middle East deals forever, and there's a feeling from these guys there always has been that they have fresh ideas, fresh answers, private sector thinking, you know you've heard, you've heard all of this before. Trump again, Trump feels comfortable with Wikoff saw him as a deal maker, thought that he could bring home a quick deal with Putin. Trump thought it would be very easy to end this war. When he was saying twenty four hours it actually in Trump's mind, I don't think was that much of a rhetorical flourish. I think he genuinely thought he could end this conflict very quickly and has been quite frustrated that it hadn't that it hasn't been that Witcoff hasn't been able to bring home a deal. Wit Coough, from what we can gather from his colleagues, views the conflict, there's not really a sense of Putin as a villain and an aggressor and Ukraine as a victim. It's actually, you know, we have a scene in the book where Trump is with his inner circle in the Oval office hashing out you know, supposedly going to hash out the Rushia Ukraine policy, and Keith Kellogg, who is his original envoys, dutifully giving this presentation which he spent all this time on. Unbeknownst to Kellogg, Trump already had a back channel set up with Witkoff. He had told Kellogg about that he's doing this presentation, and during the presentation, Trump is interrupting him by saying things like the only good thing about Ukraine is the women they keep winning Miss Universe. Zelensky's terrible, He's destroyed his country. So the animist, when the animus comes out, it's almost never against Putin, it's almost always against Ukraine and Zelensky. And I think Witkoff saw his his job as bringing this conflict to an end, but really viewed those leaders on on a flat plane without really making moral distinctions. I mean, we have another line in the book where he tells Pusan that, you know, Russia's good at a lot of things, but they're really bad at PR as as if the Kremlin's main problem was a PR problem. So that's the mindset. And you know, he goes and meets with Putin on his own. He really doesn't use staff like someone in that role would normally use staff. And as a result, there have been times where there I think there's been miscommunication and misunderstandings, and you know, it turns out diplomacy is complicated and this conflict was not easy to resolve, and in fact it's still raging on many many twenty four hours after the initial twenty four hours when he was going to solve it right.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we'll down the road, maybe we'll learn more about this, whether there's a corruption piece of this to the Wickoff story. But listen, you guys have given me a lot of time on an unbelievably busy week. The book again is Regime Change, Inside the Imperial Present and See of Donald Trump. I cannot recommend it highly enough to our audience who are desperate to try to understand Donald Trump the man, this administration, the decision making process, and also just to I think we even read things that we knew again but in a way that puts together the whole scene and helps you understand all the different motivations and people involved. And it's an extraordinary piece of work. So congratulations to both of you for forgetting this thing done and out into the world, and for talk with me today.
Speaker 3: Jonathan, Maggie, thank you so much.
Speaker 13: Thanks Tommy, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: That's our show for today. Thanks to Maggie and Jonathan for coming on. Everybody check out Regime Change. Dan and I will be back with a new show on Friday. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Kanter, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Tolles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably you Younis with the Writers Guild of America East