Speaker 1: These are people of the land, the common clay of the New West.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of Adauchavareem Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, one of the joys of my life is discovering that the same person is behind two seemingly unrelated things that I love. George Miller, for instance, is responsible for both the Mad Max franchise and the family classic Babe. Norman Jewison, who is not Jewish nor the son of a Jew, directed both Fiddler on the Roof and Jesus Christ Superstar. Our guest today wrote a charming new documentary about a beloved comedic actor, and numerous episodes of a creepy documentary series about unexplained events.
Speaker 2: We're delighted to talk with Glenn Kirshbaum, a documentary writer, producer, and director whose latest film is remembering Gene Wilder. He also wrote episodes of Unsolved Mysteries and has overseen hundreds of hours of programming on the History Channel, A A E. Discovery, National Geographic, the Travel Channel.
Speaker 3: The Food Network, HGTV, the.
Speaker 2: Weather Channel, and more. Glenn, welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and I will try to be amusing. I am Jewish, so let's see where that takes us.
Speaker 2: So we'll start at the beginning. But this is a big laden question. You've spent over forty years in the television business. How did you get your start?
Speaker 4: You know, I came out here to write comedy. My brother was a comedy writer, and when I arrived, he was writing for a show called Fridays, which was ABC's answer to Saturday Night Live. And it became very clear to me early on just how miserable every comedy writer was. I mean, these are funny, funny people. They were, you know, Larry David and Michael Richards and Larry Charles, and you know, they were putting great material on the air. But when you would talk to them, or when they talk amongst themselves, nobody ever laughed. They you know, would say, oh, yeah, that's funny. Or that works. Yeah, that's great, Yeah, that's hysterical. Yeah. And it just was a group of people that I thought, you know, Jesus, I don't know if I'm that guy to hang out with these folks. And so I ended up getting an internship at a show called That's Incredible, which was, you know, it was basically an excuse to find the biggest maniacs in the world, people who were totally missugar and put them on the air. So I was hired as the receptionist. Because I did such a fine job of reading fan mail, they said, I think this guy would be really good on the phones. And when calls came in that weren't very good, I would say, let me give you a researcher. But if it was a really good story, I'd say, oh tell me, oh really, Oh you know what, can I call you back tonight? So I ended up finding the most insane people, you know. I brought in the guy who ate and digested a bicycle, the guy who could stop electrical fans with this tongue, you know, thing, people of that ilk. And as a result, they said, you know, this guy shouldn't be on the phones, And they made me a researcher, and I moved up from being a researcher to being an associate producer to ultimately being a director in the field. So it just was a case of you know what, you got to just go for it, and I was very, very fortunate and surrounded by people who are still dear friends to this day.
Speaker 3: That's incredible that you were involved with That's incredible. What an incredible show that was. I watched it every day, especially in the summer months when there was a much to do. It was on TV in the middle of the day. I remember the guy with the tongue and the fan. I remember the guy eating the bicycle.
Speaker 4: We coined the expression don't try this at home. So I hope you paid attention, Jonathan. I see your tongue is still functioning. That's good. That's a good sign. But yeah, the bicycle guy, he wanted to eat a helicopter for us, and ultimately our budget didn't allow for that because he could eat a pound of metal every day, but it would have taken him months and we just couldn't afford to film and check in with him. His name was Michelle Lo Tito, but he was known as Monsieur monge too or mister eats All. Unfortunately he's no longer with us. I know that's a shocking revelation, but I do believe he ended up eating a small cessna for another umpany and if you go on YouTube you can find that material.
Speaker 3: So that's today's hot tip. So it sounds like you're really energized about this stuff still. So to Joey's question about what has kept you going, I think it maybe is just sort of the novelty, the excitement, the curiosity, the just the whole package.
Speaker 4: All of the above. It's joy. It's whatever you're doing, do it well and have fun with it. So I've been blessed. I've met a lot of people. I've done serious projects, you know, when you do a film about Hitler and the Holocaust, Believe me, that's not easy. And then I've done silly projects, you know. The Richard Simmons Show was one that I did. And so I've had forty three years of truly running the gamut on programming, and I've just had fun and brought a sense of fun and joy and adventure to everything I do.
Speaker 3: As you're alluding to, the first documentary feature you produced was Adolf Hitler, Man and Myth, for which he traveled throughout American and Europe, interviewing Holocaust survivors as well as members of Hitler's inner circle. You later produced The Unfinished Civil War, for which he traveled across the American South, tracing contemporary racism to the Civil War. Did you develop in each tricks for staying objective while investigating these very sensitive topics? For starters, I changed my name Kirshbaum, felt a little ethnic, so I went with Glenn King, and the tricks were, let me see survival techniques, you know, to to try to wait when you're interviewing. I mean, this was the last We were traveling with this horrible man named David Irvitt, who is a revisionist. He's still alive, but he had access to the last surviving Nazis.
Speaker 4: So we interviewed Hitler's pilot and Ava Bron's best friend, and his last surviving doctor and his adjutant, and we would feeld horrible questions. You know, people would ask me, is this film you're doing going to be a positive or negative depiction of the furor? And and so you learned to just say, you know, in that case We're not going to take a point of view. We're going to let the audience make up their minds. So you know, we tried. I mean, ultimately, I knew that I was going to be editing and writing and putting the film together, so it was okay, you know, for these people to say horrific things on camera, like you know, the fact that Hitler was only doing what was best for Germany, and you learned to just sit there and you know, you can question. But at the same time, you know, these are eighty five ninety year old people. They're not going to change their mind, you know, on camera speaking with me. But you know, again I knew, and you know now that we interviewed Simon Wisenthal, we interviewed you know, you know, people who were in the Roosevelt administration, you know, and so we had access. When you say you're doing a project for the History Channel, you can pretty much get anyone on the phone, you know, for the Unfinished Civil War. In the same week that I interviewed David Duke, I interviewed Martin Luther King the Third So you can't get more polar opposites. But I try to be honest. I try to be fair. I try to let people take, you know, express themselves, and yeah, in the end, you do want the audience to make up their own mind on you know, we've presented you with information and hopefully you know, I mean, we live at a time that you know, there's a lot of people who say the Holocaust never happened, you know, So I really did see it as a responsibility to present this material. And yeah, it was very difficult when you're in a community in Germany and you're told everyone in this community is a retired SS. Believe me, that's a difficult situation to put yourself in. But I came back from that experience basically believing that I can do anything, and that's been my philosophy, you know, for the last thirty years of programming.
Speaker 2: Enjoining the show, click like and subscribe. Speaking of staying objective, you wrote for several seasons on the long running documentary series Unsolved Mysteries, which frequently explored paranormal events. How did you go about making these unbelievable stories seem believable?
Speaker 4: Well, I think, and this was we had just won a couple of Emmy Awards for the Hitler documentary and Unsolved Mysteries was looking for a new writer, so my timing was perfect, and I was looking for something that was a little less taxing on me and so Unsolved Mysteries the way we made it believable. I mean, you're going to have people telling these amazing stories of whether it's ghostly encounters or UFO encounters or experiencing life after death. So again, we let people tell their stories. You know, I was writing whatever Robert Staff would say, so you know, you would find little secrets like saying, you know, there were those who believe, or some say or it's been said, and you know, it might be some schmuck living in a trailer who said it, but at least someone did say it. We were honest in what we were saying. But these were fascinating stories, and at the same time, I really felt good about what we're doing. Because Unsolved Mysteries, I think it was over one hundred and fifty bad guys were found because of our show. We would do stories, you know, on these terrible crimes where we were looking for the perpetrators and you can reach, you know, tens of millions of people with a show like this, and it's truly amazing. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. But we would put stories on the air and someone would say, you know, I rented skis from that guy fourteen years ago. He's living in New Hampshire. And we would solve cases that way, and so it was a very rewarding experience. I mean, the little known, you know secret is that many times the actors who were in the re enactments, they would get arrested or they well, someone would finger saying I know that guy. Well it's like, yeah, that was the actor that wasn't the bad guy, and so I will say this we Matthew McConaughey, who later you know, became a very famous Hollywood actor, is very first acting gig was in an episode of Unsolved Mysteries down in Texas, and the director came back and said, this guy was a character, and he insisted on doing his scenes with his shirt off. And that was Matthew. And you can go on YouTube and see those clips. But he was great, and that experience was great.
Speaker 1: Come with me and you'll be in a world of your imagination, heybo, and you'll see himTo your imagination.
Speaker 3: I was really surprised when I watched remembering Gene Wilder and heard Wilder, who died in twenty sixteen, narrating the movie by way of an audiobook recording of his two thousand and five memoir Kissed Me Like a Stranger. This was an effective choice and it gave me and I'm sure others the feels. As they say, how did you go about crafting the narrative of this movie? Well, well, first of all, we felt very fortunate to have Jean's audio audio recording that that was made available to us by his widow, Karen, who worked with us closely throughout the film.
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 4: Having Jean's voice added a real sense. You almost felt like he was in the editing bay with us making the film. And and so what I did as the writer of the film, you know, we would listen to what was important to Jeane, what made his book. He would do all sorts of interviews on the Mike Douglas Show to Cavitt, merv Griffin, and if he would would repeat a story several times. For instance, he talked about the fact that his mother had heart condition when he was eight, and his mother's doctor went to young Jean and said, whatever you do, don't upset your mother, you could kill her make her laugh. Well, this was amazing pressure to put on an eight year old child. But and I think it created some of who Jane later became. He would keep things bottled up and they would explode later, and it made for you know, great characters, you know, whether it was Leo Bloom or you know, Doctor Frankens, Frackenstein, Frokenstein, whatever. But having Jean's voice, having his biography, knowing what was important to him, that gave us a lot of insight into who he was. Plus we had great interviews with mel Brooks and Carol Caine and Alan Alden, people who knew Gene intimately. And if there would be times that mel Brooks would give us rich material that also could be intercut with Jane's telling of the same story that went into the film. For instance, their only argument on Young Frankenstein was Jeane wanted put none the rits. He wanted Doctor Frankenstein to be up on stage with the monster, you know, doing a song and dance number. And mel thought that was a ridiculous idea and hated it and fought him tooth and nail, and finally when he saw how badly Jean wanted that scene in the film. He relented and said, Okay, it's yours, and in our film, Mel ends up saying, you know, that was the best part of the entire film. Geene was right. So hearing those two men talk about that scene, or hearing Alan all to talk about the Abby Normal scene, we just knew these are things that are going into our film. I mean, if you get someone talking about one of our favorite moments of the producers, you know, or Blazing Saddles, it was going to go in there. So we wanted to create a lot a laugh fest, and hopefully we succeeded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a love fest as well, really beautifully executed. I've always wondered why it is that in Young Frankenstein, I think that's the only mel Brooks directed somebody that he himself does not appear in. And I heard that it was because Gene Wilder didn't want him to be in the movie. I don't know if you know any of this inside baseball stuff.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, no man. Mel admits that Mel says it on camera in our film that Jean said I want you to It was Jeane's idea. He was like, Mel, I want you to co write with me. I want you to direct, and I don't want you in the film. And I think probably because.
Speaker 3: Mel is so big.
Speaker 4: Mel is so broad, you know, in Blazing Saddles, he you know, his subtlety is.
Speaker 1: Not his.
Speaker 4: Strong suit. And so I'm sure Jean just felt that he would lose control of the film if Mel was in it. And I think ultimately it was the right call. And we love Mel Mel. Mel was great. Mel has been promoting our film. Mel introduced it at the La Jewish Film Festival where we debuted, and he tweeted how much he loved the film and it was amazing. It two million eyeballs on Mel's tweet. And when we opened, we had lines up and down Wilshire Boulevard at the Saban Theater and people laughing. At the opening credits. We were like, oh my god, we're sitting on gold here. And just to give you an idea of how excited we are, we ended up winning. First of all, we pitched it to Netflix and they said no, they said, really good film, not right for our audience, and we then went the film festival route. We ended up winning nine festivals. Keno Lauber asked they wanted to distribute the film. They opened it up in one hundred and fifty theaters nationwide. It was held over in LA in New York, in Boston. It did incredibly well. Netflix came back to us and said we want the film, and it applied into number five on Netflix. So yeah, it was an incredibly rewarding experience. And you know, I don't want to call it vindication, but it just goes to show if you have a belief in what you're doing, go for it. You know, well doublet a little rejection, you know, make you feel that you're raw. We knew we were making a sweet film, a loving film, a celebration of someone who brought so much joy into the lives of those of us who you know, grew up in the seventies. And I'm thrilled that, you know, it's now there's a whole new audience. You know, my son is seventeen. He's told all of his friends and I'm now coming to their classroom, you know, to give a lecture about Gene Wilder to these seventeen year olds and they're all big fans. So it's great. I'm feeling so good about that film and the way things worked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that initial rejection from Netflix has me wondering, what does Netflix think their audience is. I mean, that's kind of a weird thing to say. Meanwhile, they have the Arnold Schwarzenegger documentary on there and other things. I mean, it's kind of strange just even try to wrap your head around what they meant by isn't right for our audience. Maybe they felt it skewed too old, you know, I don't know. No one likes to say that, but maybe that was the thinking. I just think we have a responsibility. If people did good in the world, and Gene Wilder did good, it's let's celebrate those people, you know, and and and you know, I'm so glad Rotten Tomatoes we've got I think eighty six percent positive.
Speaker 4: And the few people who have criticized us have said, well, you didn't talk about his disasters, you didn't talk about his you know, his failures. Well, you know what, that wasn't the film we were making. We were making a film that was people who knew Gene, who loved Jean, who wanted to sing his praises, And that was the film that we made. If someone wants to make a film that trashes Gene Wilder. God love them, but that wasn't our intention.
Speaker 2: Gene Wilder's humanity really comes across in his relationship with Richard Pryor. The two actors had amazing chemistry on screen in Silver Streak, See No Evil, Here, No Evil, and a couple other movies, but they didn't have much of a friendship off screen. Pryor was diagnosed with MS in nineteen eighty six, and Wilder was very sensitive to this and helped Pryor through their scenes together in very subtle and gentle ways. What does this tell us about Gene Wilder as a person.
Speaker 4: Gene Wilder was a mensch and we heard this over and over and over from everyone we interviewed. They did not have a negative word to say about him. And among those people was Rain Pryor, Richard Pryor's daughter, who was on the set of See No Evil, Here No Evil, and which is when Richard had MS, and she knew that Jeane had gone out of his way. Yes, they were not friends off camera, you know, Richard when they were making Soaper Streak, he stayed in a separate hotel he had, he was drinking, he was doing drugs. It was not conducive to making a comedy to showing up. He was showing up late on the set. You know, he was difficult and and you know it didn't take away from the finished product, but it was sad. Here was a man who was was hurting himself. And and so when Jean and they ended up, you know, doing four films together. By the time Richard was sick. You know, Jeane went out of his way to show love and compassion and understand and Richard so appreciated that. And you know, I think that by the end they did become dear friends. But early on, you know, it was guys from different I mean, it was one of the first buddy films that had an African American actor and a Caucasian actor together in teaming up. And you know, the partnership was hysterical. I mean, they played off each other beautifully. But yes, that was surprising to us to hear that they were not friends off camera, at least not during their first two films together.
Speaker 3: That ability of Gene Wilder to have that very intimate, very organic relationship with an African American partner, I mean we see this in Blazing Saddles with clevand little as well. What was his sort of engagement with African American culture growing up? Do you have any sense of that?
Speaker 4: You know, grew up in Milwaukee. Uh, went to the University of Iowa. You know, Quite honestly, I don't think he had much of a you know, interaction with African but he was he was raised with with a decency. His grandfather was the president of their show. And he had a real sense of Yiddish kite, you know. And and I think his decency, of course extended to when he met Cleveland and you know Blazing Saddles. Mel tells us, you know in the interview that film was an anti racism film. You know, even though the N word is thrown around, and and and you know, the townspeople in the townspeople, let's be honest, are made to look like a bunch of schmucks. You know. But you know, Mel, God loved him. He told us in his interview that, you know, he made the film he wanted to make. You know, the executives had Wanner Brothers had given him three instructions. They said, you know, no N word, no punching of horses, and no and no farting and Mel said, no problem, you won't see any of that, and of course he kept it all in and and that's how Mel. You know, we can all learn from that. Sometimes you have to stick to what you know works. And yeah, that was blazing saddle. So that the same thing happened in The Producers, where the executive producer wanted to get rid of Gene Wilder after seeing the first dailies, and Mel said, okay, he's gone, and then never released him and ultimately kept shooting and kept the executive producer away until it became obvious he said, I can't get rid of him. He's done half the film so and the audience has loved him anyways. So you know, so Mel stuck by Jeane, stuck by Richard. You know, there's something to be said for friendships, and that's what we wanted to celebrate in our film.
Speaker 3: Carol Kine is back in the popular consciousness with her outstanding performance in the very quirky and very Jewish dramedy Between the Temples. I didn't know this before watching your documentary, but Gene Wilder was responsible for giving Carol Kine her comedic start with the World's Greatest Lover, released in nineteen seventy seven, Could you tell us about that The World's Greatest Lover came on the heels. Carol Kaine had done a film called Hester Street, which was a drama. She was nominated for an Academy Award, and as she tells us, the phone didn't ring for a year afterwards, and when it finally rang, it was g wanting her for the World's Greatest Lover. And I think what he recognized was the that here was a woman who could do comedy, who could be funding. Ben Bankowitz, who's Jewish, tells us this on camera that Gene had this uncanny ability to recognize talent. I think what he was attracted to. If you watch the World's Greatest Lover, Jeane and Carol both have these big, wide eyes. You know, Jeene had these beautiful blue eyes, and you know, they were doing a send up of silent films, and in silent films, the eyes tell the story. So I'm sure that Gene recognized here is this woman with these remarkable eyes that she and I could play off of each other and in a comedic way, and and she was brilliant there she you know, obviously, you know he was right because she's now had forty years of doing comedy ever since, and and she was one of those people that when we called and said we're doing a film on Jean Wilder, she said, help me in. So, you know, it was a privilege to interview her and include her at our film. I got to say, her portrayal in Hester Street is so amazing and convincing that I now think that she actually came from Eastern Europe and that she's really gotten over her accent in her cultural baggage and she's just like everybody else though.
Speaker 4: That's great. Yeah, No, she what a talent, and you know, you gotta respect someone who is still you know, doing great comedy. You know, forty years afterwards, forty years after the world's Greatest lover, Remembering Gene Wilder does a wonderful job of taking us through the difficult times in Wilder's life, especially the death of his first wife, Gilda Radner, and his trouble with dementia. What lessons might we learn from exploring the ups and downs of in Wilder's life. You know, Jane was a survivor Gene, you know his childhood. You know, don't upset your mother. You could kill her. His military experience and and he you know, worked in the psychological ward and was exposed to people who had mental trauma, which he used later I think in Willy Wonka, you know, and he says that that he picked up, you know, some characterizations of what madness looks like. Gene was it like the kind of guy and and you know, with with losing Guilda and moving on, he was the kind of guy that would find a reason to move forward, you know, despite disappointments, despite upsets. He had his own bout with cancer and and and beat it and overcame it. And the interesting thing with our film is it was completely financed Jean's final years of life. He had Alzheimer's and our film was completely funded by Alzheimer's and pharmaceutical companies who wanted us to draw attention, raise awareness to this horrible disease. Karen Wilder, just to give you the quick genesis of the film. When Jeane died, it almost killed his wife, Karen. Karen had been caring for him during his last three years of life, and she told people after his funeral that she wanted to devote the rest of her life to raising Alzheimer's awareness. And one of the people who attended the funeral was Julie Nimoy. Her dad was Leonard Nimoy, and Leonard and Gene were friends. Julie had done a film about her dad, who died of COPD and it was funded by pharmaceutical companies. And Julie said to Karen Wilder, you know, I could put together a team that will make a film about Gene, a tribute film to Gene, and we'll raise Alzheimer's awareness. And Karen said, let's do it. And Julie got on the phone to my partner, Ron Frank, who ended up he would direct on the East coast, I would direct on the West coast. I would write, he edited, And so that was our team. It was really four people. It was Julie Nimoy, her husband, David Knight, Ron Frank, and myself and four people put together the film, with Karen Wilder giving us occasional notes. And I think that we were able to do a loving, sweet film. We didn't have a network executive who was coming along with their own vashon and saying, you know, I'd like to open with this or move this, or you know. We got to make the film we wanted to make. And you know, one of our executive producers did say at one point that they didn't like the scene with Jean falling in love with the sheep from the Woody Allen Fell and she said, I'm anna, I love animals. They get rid of that scene, and we learned from Mel the Master. We said, okay, the sheep is out, and we never took it out. And then once we started showing it to audiences and people were laughing, I mean, it's funny, funny stuff. That's when we were given permission. Okay, you can keep the sheep in the fel. But the bottom line is Jean was a survivor. We wanted to pay tribute to him. We wanted to make people laugh, and at the same time, we wanted to raise Alzheimer's awareness. And that was a challenge to go from big laughs to what this poor man endured. And hopefully we succeeded in bridging those those two worlds in making Remembering Gene Wilder, one last question.
Speaker 3: You were involved with wrestler Bill Goldberg's Automaniac show Any good Goldberg stories.
Speaker 4: Well, Bill is a professional wrestler, so when you have a wrestler as the host of your show, it puts a lot of pressure on you.
Speaker 3: You know, you you.
Speaker 4: Don't want to upset the host when you know he could get you in a half nelson or give you a drop kick, you know, across the room. So there were times when Bill would look at a script and then like announced to the room, you know who wrote this shit, And you know, in many cases it was me, and I had to raise my hand and say that was.
Speaker 3: Me, Bill.
Speaker 4: But we always worked it out, you know, because I would threaten to kick his ass and not kidding, but but no, Bill. Bill was great to work with because he brought energy and passion, and it was a series about cars, and he collected cars, and and so this was his love, you know, after wrestling, you know, And and so we would do great things where Bill would you know, be talking about you know, an ed Soul or whatever car we're focusing on, and he'd smash it with his fist and then our graphics people would have the car explode and we'd look at the engine or we'd talk about the transmission. And it was just a great way to do a car series with a wrestler as a host. He also would colin in favors. You know, he brought Burt Reynolds to you know, talk about Smoky in the Bandit and to show us his car from the film. And so we got to do some great things together and it was great to work with, you know, a Jewish boy, you know, Bill, and you know, he was a delight. I wish the series had lasted many years longer, but we had a lot of fun. And Bill's a great guy.
Speaker 3: I was read an interview with him where they were asking if he ever faced any anti Semitism as a wrestler, and he said no. And you know, it's it's surprising, you know, going as a wrestler under your given name, under Goldberg. But then again, who's gonna say anything to that guy? No, you're right.
Speaker 4: I mean he never hid his Judaism. You know, he wore it front and center, sort of like Max Behar, who you know, boxed with a Jewish star on his trunks. And yeah, no, Bill if he wrote a butt an autobiography and talks about his Judaism, you know, and play at the University of Georgia. So yeah, you wouldn't think that, you'd think his mother at some point would have said, Okay, no football and no wrestling. But you know who's gonna tell Bill no? And you know, God love him. He's still living a great life. And you know I will send your best. I'll let him know that he has fans out here in California.
Speaker 3: Much appreciated. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Glinn, Thank you Jonathan, and we'll be in touch. And to our audience, now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 2: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.