Speaker 1: Good evening, everybody, and welcome to another edition of The Cajun Night Live. I am your host The Cajun Night Jacob Mook, and uh. I do need to apologize if I do sound like my I'm a bit easily right now out of nowhere. The pollen has smacked me. I've never had pollen allergies in my life, but today it smacked me like a ton of bricks. I'm kind of in a weird head fog at this moment. Maybe that's why I'm kind of on one. Before we started recording, I was kind of throwing some shade at you know, Target and Starbucks and places that I just don't like frequenting. Maybe that's why I got a little extra you know, gas in the tank on that one right now. Just I guess I'm just kind of in that head fog. But you know, there's a couple of things going on around the world, and I don't know if anybody has brought any topics that they would like to bring up, but just a few things that I saw that I feel like we just need to kind of talk about here. Number One, what's going down in Yemen and how that connects with Iran and how Trump pretty much told Iran, yo, if you help the hoo thies your next you can get these missiles as well. And then they like backed off. Two Trump and Putin had a really good phone conversation, like a two hour long phone conversation, which I thought was actually a very positive thing, you know, trying to breach some of those gaps, which hey, I'm here for we're all trying to end the war. Allegedly, I I, yeah, that's a thing. Then apparently both sides are claiming that the other side is lying about what was said in said phone conversation, and that's kind of weird too. Apparently they talked about like hockey somehow they got on the topic of talking about sports, and we'll get into it. We'll get into it right then. Let's see what else we got going on here. Who these attempted to break the eleventh Commandment? Now shot not touch America's fucking boats. And they're finding out right now. It's a whole thing. Oh and then a weird subaddendum. Apparently Brazil is cutting down a section of the rainforest in order to make way for a road to bring people to the climate change summit they're hosting the jokes right themselves, everybody. I wish this was a joke, but here we are. Alex sends in the in the chat, I cast check engine light. Yo, I'm not gonna lie. That hits home with me right now. My check engine light's been on for far too long, and today that the motor started knocking extra hard, and I'm just like, ugh, here we go. And it's the card that I've been needing to trade in for like two years, so I knew this day was gonna come. But it's also like, ugh, yeah, here we go. It's a whole thing anyway. Anyway, all right, So before I get into any of the stuff that I got that articles and videos that got pulled up, if anybody has anything that they have brought or that they want to talk about on any of the things religious or geopolitic or boohrd or whatever else, by all means, feel free to air them at this time. Or better yet, if y'all have something that you want to share with the class, drop the link in the chat and I'll be able to pull it up or whatever the case may be. But I mean, whatever y'all got, feel free.
Speaker 2: Well here's one thing. There's lots of protests in Turkey against Erdiwan, and I guess internet and media have been cut off, and some people think that he's about to be overthrown again, like in the coup that happened in twenty seventeen I believe, which was unsuccessful. But who knows who's going to replace them. Syrian girl thinks it's going to be some CIA back person, but other people think it's going to be someone kind of to the right of him, so to speak, in the Islamic political scene, somebody more at he Israel than him. Let's see who these I haven't really been keeping up on much of that stuff, but yeah, we got stuff to get into.
Speaker 1: Oh man, hold, I'm gonna look this up now. Turkey is I didn't know they had these types of protests going on now over air to one that's great and in response to what, like what did he particularly do to like sparkle of it?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, but he's considered, you know, Israel's a device was subject. Some people think he's not doing enough to help the Palestinians. That's why, I gather is the main complaint. One thing going on in Turkey is that the Western half of the country is more liberal and the eastern half is more Islamist yah, and the western half's population has been declining in the eastern half has been rising for decades, and demographically, this is just going to force Turkey in that direction.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, wow, let's get into it here. Actually home, Before I do that, I got two more articles that people have sent in, and I'm gonna pull up all right, Yeah, the Yemen one. We'll bring that over. Yeah, okay, and then uh, let me see. Royce just sent one in that I need to pull up as well. Oh and Zombie sent another one. Hold on, no AP news article Turkey is simple. Yeah, I got that one pulled up. Actually, I'm actually I'm not sure if I got the AP one pulled up or no, I got your own news. Excuse me, I got that article. Oh, for the love of help, Royce, what we got gut? Come on in caves man, all right, I mean, why not? Why not? You know? All right? All right, all right, So let's just get into it for everybody listening right now on Thursday or one of the following days, and you would like to potentially be a part of this conversation next week. Look, come to the Patreon Cajun Knight Patreon. The link is down the description below. There's just one tier, just five dollars and join in on these live conversations. We like to get into all of the nitty gritty of the geopolitics, the world talk, the religious talk, the pretty much everything that we can't necessarily just dive all the way deep into on the cult of conspiracy. We bring it here to air it out. So if you would like to be a part of it or join in, please feel free to do so. All right, I'm gonna go ahead and share the screen at this time and share sound. So first one, I figure we start off with a lighter note. Okay, I'm just gonna play a little bit of this clip here. This is from a guy named habitual Line Cross or if anybody doesn't know him, I cannot promote him enough. He's doing well enough on his own. Do I'm you're wrong, but these are It's like a series that he does with countries and geopolitics and planes and shit like that. And I thought this was hilarious. So we're just gonna go ahead and play it at this time.
Speaker 3: Sorry, where is it all coming from?
Speaker 4: Where is the commands. What do you mean it was blown up? Well, where the fuck are my troops? We need to fight back against the American oppression?
Speaker 5: Where is ever her?
Speaker 4: But they gone, what the fuck? What in the bloody hell is going on over in Yemen?
Speaker 3: I'm just helping them work through some stuff.
Speaker 6: I disclaimer at this point in time, the only thing we know that's been used over there is F eighteen, So so that character is going to be used here in a second. But you know, as more news comes out, we'll probably throw it into the lore. It's just right now, we don't know a.
Speaker 4: Yemen surprise motherfucker put out that fire over there?
Speaker 3: What is the causualty counter right now? You don't know, America, Fabia for me to tell you what you should be doing in the Middle East. But they stopped shooting for a little while, and we're just kind of waiting to see what happened in Israel and Gaza. Why are you tucking them now?
Speaker 7: Well, they threatened to start again, and they kind of broke one of the eleven commandments.
Speaker 3: Eleven there are only ten.
Speaker 7: Oh sorry, we modified it over here. Number eleven is thou shalt not touch boats.
Speaker 3: America. We will retaliate for this.
Speaker 8: You have no idea what you have started over here with the HOOTI rebels Iran.
Speaker 5: I'm going to need some more munitions, I Ran, you give them a bullet your fucking next. The other world will not cower before your threats. America, the many people are governed on their own accord, and I have no.
Speaker 8: Control over them, nor do I support them. I will not be intervening in this. Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 6: Apparently somebody over there and I Ran just got a hold that Google and kinda figured out what history told them about touching America's fucking bouts. I also might have sent them, I don't know, three terabytes of pictures of praying manass praying Mantish, praying Manti.
Speaker 3: How the fuck you plaraalize praying manas.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna do a throwback and modify line from The Demolition Man Simon Phoenix, which is arguably Wesley Snipe's best role, better than Blade in my opinion, fight me. I told everybody, no one touches the boats. Iranians figured it out, the Germans figured it out, the Japanese figured it out. But the goddamn houthis just wouldn't listen.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. And I thought that was a great humorous way to kind of bring about what happened here. So for anybody who doesn't know, it's gonna give a little backstory to it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Yemenes Hoothi rebel fighters, terrorists, whatever you wanna call them, they decided that they were gonna chill out with the whole pirting and the whole stopping the international trade on the waters for a minute, because there was a ceasefire that was happening in Israel and the Gaza and the whole, the whole shebang over there doing doing their things, gangsters and all, and uh, they decided that they were gonna hold off to see how this these fire played out. Then they decided not only to just say nah, never mind, we're gonna go for it. They decided to fire eighteen ballistic missiles at the USS Harry Truman, which is an aircraft carrier which is supported by a fleet. Now none of them hit. For the record, they're hooty rebels. They literally can't hit the broad side of a barn at their life depended on it. That's neither here nor there. They attempted to touch America's boats, which I couldn't agree more with. Habitual line crosser is kind of the eleventh commandment of the world. Here, we America will intervene with a lot of shit that we really shouldn't get involved with. I'll be the first to admit we've done that before, we will be doing it again. It's kind of our stick. But at the same time, the US Navy is pretty much the sea police. I'm you know, like that, don't like that. America shouldn't be the world police. Fine, fine, have that conversation. I get it. But at the same time, it is only because of the United States Navy that international free trade is able to go on to the level that it does. Just I think that's a pretty much understood thing, and I'm not saying that just to beat the chest of America here. That's just kind of an understood mathematical fact at this point. So with that being said, we don't have many rules as far as that goes. You could fuck around and find out with each other's countries all you want. Touching America's boats is and I mean, yes, we have the joke. Oh Japan had the sun unleashed on them twice. Ye yeah, I get it, I get it. But all of that aside. Literally, Thomas Jefferson started this with the Barbary pirate situation, and from that day forward, it's been understood, if you touch America's boats, we destroy every member of your bloodline. Like that. That's just what we do, right, And the Hoothies decided to fire eighteen ballistic missiles at it. So let's just give a quick little recap here. This is from USA today. It's only a little minute in two minute long video, but uh, this gives a pretty decent background to it.
Speaker 10: All.
Speaker 1: The hooth these have gotten a few hell fire missiles dropped on them, a few very strategic munitions, and yes, there may or may not have been some civilian casualties. You'll have that whenever you have punk bitch terrorists that hide among the civilian population, then cry about civilians dying whenever they're cornered, right, And that's the whole thing. Insurgents will fight and fight and fight until they're absolutely cornered and can't go anywhere. Then they'll play the victim card instantly, that's all. That's the thing. Consistently throughout history and now it's the Houthis turn. They're playing the victim card after they just tried to touch America's boat. So let's just let's learn a little bit.
Speaker 11: This morning, after the US launched a series of air strikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen, President Trump now giving their backer Iran a new warning. NBC News White House corresponding you, Michel sendor Is traveling with the President in West Palm Beach, Amish, Good morning, Good.
Speaker 2: Morning, hallie.
Speaker 12: US warfighters were still carrying out these aerial attacks against the Houthi rebels and Yemen when President Trump announced the operation. It has killed at least thirty people, according to Huthi officials in Yemen. Posting online, the President said the Houthis have waged an unrelenting campaign of piracy, violence and terrorism, and have choked off shipping in one of the most important waterways in the world. Watching the air strikes from his Florida home, the President also said he would use quote overwhelming lethal force to stop.
Speaker 1: Can we also just take a minute and acknowledge not only did our guy here call for airstrikes, he pulled them up on his big screen at his house to watch them. In real time. That's that's baller, that's pilp. I'm just saying it anyway, Moving.
Speaker 12: On, stop the houthy attacks on ships in the region. He also warned Iran they would be held quote fully accountable for hoothy actions, and this morning the vice president of the WHO this told NBC News the group will respond to the airstrikes with further escalation. On Saturday, President Trump also was focused on threats here at home. He invoked the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight to target Venezuelan gang members. It's a rarely used wartime law that was last implemented.
Speaker 3: During World War II. The law could.
Speaker 12: Allow him to remove unauthorized immigrants with little due process, but late Saturday, a federal judge temporarily blocked the President from using the Alien Enemies Act in that manner, and also stopped deportation flights taking Venezuelans out of the country, ordering them to return mid flight. The Justice Department, though, has already appealed the judge's ruling.
Speaker 11: Hallie Amy Schelson door in West Palm Beach, thank you, hey.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching it over out Roker. That guy needs to retire, am I right man anyway, Yeah, fun things, fun things. So the hoo Thighs are finding out the hard way just to stop, just quit while you're ahead. It's time for you to pay it in and then Iran as habitual line cross are laid out quite comically, I might add. But at the same time, the Huthis reached out to their Iranian counterparts to ask for some more munitions, and Trump straight up told Iran, listen, you fuck around. You're gonna be the next one to find out that there's no other way about this, Like we're we're handling this. It's gonna get finished. We're done with it. And I ran backed off, which is very smart of them, I might add, But uh, yeah, this is this is a wild time right now, y'all.
Speaker 2: So did they mention why the Houthis started blocking off the Red Sea again, I didn't hear it.
Speaker 1: So basically it was because they they it stopped because there was a ceasefire in Gaza and they were waiting to see how that one played out. And then they decided, never mind, while nobody's expecting anything, we're gonna go on the offensive. And not just on the offensive on just regular ships. We're gonna try to punch up at an American aircraft carrier because that was wise decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My understanding is the CeaseFire's kind of falling apart, and Israel launched a bunch of air strikes, and that's why the Houthie's decided to escalate from their own end to block off the Red Sea. But I don't see so many mentions of that. So basically, yeah, this is still revolving around Gaza right now in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, Yeah, for sure. I mean, you know, let's read this. This is an Al Jazeera article. As a matter of fact, this was published I think today, oh, March seventeenth, excuse me, So it's a couple of days ago. What's happening in Yemen? A breakdown of the uthy US violence. The US killed at least fifty three people according to reports. Hoo this have responded with attacks on US warships, unsuccessful attacks. I might add, a new crisis is brewing near one of the world's most crucial shipping lanes, as the Yemen's Houthis and the United States square off. I okay, ol Jazero. Squaring off might be a bit of a reach. That would imply that both sides stand some sort of a chance here, I don't, okay, of course Al Jazeera would be a little biased, but I digress. The US injured and killed more than one hundred people in strikes and Yemen on Saturday night, according to the Yemeny media and sources. The Who's these claimed a response on a US warship on Sunday evening, and the US bombed Yemen again after that? What led to this tit for tat? Okay again, it's not exactly a tit for tat, but all right, who started and what's the purpose? Here's what we know what happened in Yemen. The US has bombed Yemen for two nights in a row, now, claiming to be targeting Hoothi leaders. The results on the ground has been the death of fifty three people so far, including children. Nearly one hundred other people have been injured in the attacks. Where were the attacks? US attacks have hit Sanah Sanah, I don't know how to pronounce that word. Saa, the capital city controlled by the Houthi and it surrounds as well as the northern government of Sadah and the port of Ho de Hodida Ho Daida. Yeah. Sure, the US bombs Yemen or for a second night. US warplanes have launched more than forty seven air raids on multiple towns in Yemen on the second night of strikes, targeting at least seven provinces, as the death toll rises to fifty three. Okay, so they're making very strategic strikes here. Who's being targeted? The US officials say they are targeting hoo the leaders. The Houthis, however, said children were among those killed and circulated photos of the alleged victims. Okay, of course they're going to play the cards of the camp. Trump strikes were very clearly going after hoothy leadership and didn't seem to care if any civilians got in the way. Nick Brumfield and Independent Yemen Analysis told Al Jazeera the strikes in Sanaa targeted a residential neighborhood known to house a lot of Hoothy leaders. Okay, I mean that would kind of make sense. Now, what does the US want? The US says it will bomb Yemen until the hooth stop, with President Donald Trump claiming that the Houthis had quote targeted our troops and allies. Trump and his Defense Secretary PTE HeiG seth have also claimed that the that Iran is behind the Hoothys' actions and that it was now quote unquote on notice. US Secretary of State Mark Or Rubio announced he had coordinated the attacks on Yemen with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Livrov. Okay, we got a little joint joint commission here with the United States and Russia. We can all agree that we want shipping in this area, and we don't like the Houthis getting in the way of that. Okay, I like this. How did the Hoothies hit back? The Houthis claimed two attacks on the US aircraft carrier, the USS Harry S. Truman, and its warships. The US officials, speaking anonymously to media outlets, denied that any attack took place. The Houthis denounced the US and the United Kingdom, which did not partake in the actual bombing but helped with refueling. According to BBC, HOOTHI spokeperson pledged retaliation for the US attacks. Once again. Trump's just sitting here watching the bombings go down on the big screen. I mean that that kind of does something to me. I like that. Why is Iran catching heat? US officials claim Iran is heavily backing the Hoot the activities in the Red Sea. Some claim the group is an Iranian proxy. I don't think that's a claim. I think that's a pretty much understood fact. But neither here nor there, though many analysis have written reports for think tanks such as Brookings and the Council of Foreign Relations CFR on how they should be seen more as a willing partner. Iran's foreign minister abbass A rag Chi yup I, RAN's foreign minister A Boss, told the US government that he has no authority or business dictating Iranian foreign policy. In support for Israeli genocide and terrorism, he posted on X stop killing, stop killing of Yemeni Yemeny people. Okay, so What's guard did this? Here? We go here, this is what we're talking about here. On March second, Israel blocked all AID from entering Gaza, renewing the starvation of an enclave in desperate need of food and medicine. Five days later, Huthi chief Abeb bell ab del Malik al Huthi, I'm just gonna go ahead and apologize now for these names. I speak American English and I'm gonna butcher them. Sorry. Set A four day deadline. If Israel did not reopen the crossings and allow aid in, the Houthis would resume attacking Israeli link ships passing through the Bob Almandeb Straight on their way to the Suez Canal. On March eleventh, spokesperson Yaha Sarri e Sorry Sayr, a spokesperson named Yaha, announced the resumption of the Houthis Red Sea operations against Israeli ships in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea as well as Bob Almandeb Straight. Sure. The Houthis have been attacking ships connected to Israel since November of twenty twenty three to pressure Israel to end its war on Gaza. The attack stopped when the ceasefire was declared in Gaza on January nineteenth, and the Hoothies complied. Quote. They did shoot at an F sixteen a few weeks back after the FTO that was a designation had downed a m Q nine, saying it was in Hodda Hodada airspace. Thank you, thank you. But in terms of shipping, they've abided by what they say they were going to do, Brumfield said. On March fourth, the Trump administration reapplied for the quote unquote foreign terrorist organization designation to the Hoothies about four years after his predecessor, Joe Biden removed. It interesting that Joe Biden would not want the Hoothi rebels to be seen as a terrorist group. But neither here nor there. We can't keep blaming the former administration, y'all. We got to move forward to the future. So and anybody who doesn't know, there's a picture right here showing basically which areas of Yemen are controlled by what group. They have been in the middle of a civil war for hot little minute now, and that's not new. The hooth these have absolutely gotten a little more, a little more leg room here in the more, you know, in the recent years, and it's about time to put an end to that. So what effect have the hooth the attacks had to date? The Red Sea receives almost fifteen percent of global sea trade. The hoot the attacks have forced much of that trade to take much longer, more expensive routes around the southern coast of Africa, raising insurance costs and affecting inflation rates globally. The hoo these attacks have reportedly killed eight people and wounded others. Most of their attacks have not resulted in casualties. Okay, they just said they've killed people and then followed that same sentence or I'm sorry second sentence. Most of their attacks haven't resulted in casualties. But it's still sea pirate type of things. There's all kinds of videos in them boarding vessels and taking prisoners. But okay, will the Hoothies be deterred by US attacks? The spokesperson are to believe probably not, which makes sense. That's kind of how extremist insurgency works. They don't really back down. The Houthi Supreme Political Councils said they would not be deterred, but would escalate the situation to a more severe and dire level. Targeting civilians demonstrates America's inability to confront the situation. The statement added. I would actually argue it does, in fact show America's willingness to handle the situation. But I know I'm a bit biased. In the past, the hooth these Red Sea attacks and the subsequent US attacks on Yemen only helped the group's ability to recruit fighters. Again, that does tend to happen with insurgency groups. You know, you kill one guy, now all of his cousins and uncles are willing to join the cause to you know, yeah, that's kind of how that works, to kind of like get vengeance and all that. While these attacks may be bigger than what the Houthi's previously experienced, there is little sign they are willing to give in. Nazra din Amerr, a Hoothy spokesperson, wrote on x our position is clear and our demands is simple, lifting the siege on Gaza and saving the people of Gaza from starvation. Okay, So they're saying that if Israel doesn't release the the blockade of resources, then they're going to continue the violence, and that's really not working out well for them right now. Meanwhile, Iran, as they were asking them for help, Iran's got their own issues they're dealing with right now. This is an article from last year and we don't have to read all of it, but long story short, Iran's got a bit of a water crisis going on. Like, they really have issues in this regard and it is not getting any better. More than eight hundred towns of villages, including the capital of Tehran and the major city of Esfahan, are at risk from land subsidence Iranian authorities say the ground beneath Tehran sinks up to twenty two centimeters every year, which is seven times higher than what would be normally expected. The reason, experts say is the country's acute water shortage. Yeah, it goes into the details as to the water shortage and the house and the whys on this. But long story short, Iran's got their own resources problems that they really need to focus on before they start trying to help out people on other fronts. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't they just launch some some missiles into Israel not too terribly long ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just looked this up earlier. They launched their Fatah missile to Israel back in November and it did hit something in the military target. I also wanted to say thanks a lot for reading that Al Jazeera article. I know it's coming from the other side, but you do a good job trying to be balanced. But I wanted to add some things that I think it left out. Yeah, it seems like it was written on March seventeenth. That would have been Monday, and to give a timeline of you know, I think what really provoked the attack on the carriers on March fifteenth. That was this past Saturday. There were air strikes from the US in Yemen. And I'm just going off of Wikipedia right now. These air strikes killed about fifty three people and wounded ninety eight others in Tayez kaza Ibb, a whole bunch of other places I'm not too familiar with.
Speaker 1: I'm the only one that can pronounce that shit. That makes me feel better anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the attacks on the USS Harry Truman started March sixteenth on Sunday the next day, and they continued March seventeenth and March eighteenth, and I think none of them hit. I guess they don't have the good missiles like Iran may have, and Iran doesn't want to step up here. My only other comment is on the general political alignment over there, the civil war in Yemen. They've had civil wars going back almost a century, but the most recent one started in twenty fifteen. I forget the guy's name, but Saudi Arabia backed one guy and he was Sunni and the other big group the other half of the country is called Zaidi Shia. They're like the Shia in Iran, but the Shia in Iran believe in twelve grandy moms, and the guys in Yemen only believe in seven. And the Zaida Shia basically they're the Houthis, and they basically won that war at tremendous costs because there was basically starvation in Yemen in twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen or so, and the Saudis couldn't dislodge them from power, so they eventually called it off. That's my understanding, and the Houthis are left with the majority of the power in Yemen right now, that.
Speaker 1: Sounds about like what I've heard too, So okay, fair enough, although I still like, of all the things you're going to try to do, you're gonna attempt to slap box an American aircraft carrier and its entire fleet, Like I don't I not even just saying because it's America, no, but like, realistically the most powerful navy on Earth. I didn't say the largest, because yes, China started making it where every vessel that's quote unquote seaworthy is now a naval asset. But whatever you want to call it, the undisputed most powerful navy on Earth, that's who you're gonna come after. Like, I get if you're trying to hit Israel, or you're trying to hit some some vessels that have it like flying an Israeli flag, or even like an American cargo ship. Like, Okay, your chances that the odds are in your favor here, big dog.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Well, I feel like right after the attacks on March fifteenth, the Hoothy government must have felt like they needed to respond somehow or they'd lose all credibility, even at the risk of escalating the war into a lot more casualties and civilian casualties. Luckily, it looks like there haven't been quite as many as that one day on March fifteenth, But guys has got a lot of casualties right now. I forget which day it was, but within the last three days, I've heard somewhere between two hundred and four hundred people have died in air strikes. And yeah, much of the Arab world is really pissed off about that, even though there's probably nothing guys that can do to win. There's nothing the rest of the Arab the world can do right now. I don't know what to do. It is just horrible.
Speaker 1: It's a messy situation. I get that, and I know it's people look at it and they get way too invested into it based off of whoever they politically align with or whatever philosophical side they find to be more you know, in line with their own. Yes, it goes back to the the was it November attacks? When did the when did Hamas attack and take the prisoners?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember the October seventh, twenty twenty three. Yeah, so that was a little over a year ago.
Speaker 1: Right, And I know it goes back to that, And yes, I know it goes back to Moussad allowing it to take place, and I know it goes back to who propped up Amas in the first place, and then it goes this, And yes, I get it. The situation has gotten just exponentially more difficult the deeper and deeper it got. This is a full on insurgency and you can't just end that so peacefully and with papers being signed. That's that's never gonna work in this regard the Hoothies, and like you said, the rest of the Arab world, not just the Hoothies, The rest of the Arab world is pissed off. I mean, yes, granted, oh they're pissed off Israel shocker. Nothing new there, I get it, but it is to a level where it's not I don't even see how there's going to be an end in sight unless an outside source, and it doesn't have to be America. I hope it's not. As a matter of fact, I feel like there's gonna have to be some outside force come in and like act as referee and say, you know, blow the whistle and say, like the fight's over, you know what I mean, ring the if you will, and call it off. I don't know. I don't see this ending any other way at this time anyway, Royce, I think or no Zombie. I'm sorry you had your hand up.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 9: I was just looking at the article I and pretty much it covered everything you guys talked about. But it did confirm that like fifty three where he died and a hundred were injured, and among them were children. So I was just looking at the article.
Speaker 1: Right, and I mean it hit a residential area where a bunch of HOOTHI leaders live, So yeah, that would kind of I'm not four children dying, especially those that had no dog in the fight whatsoever. Children typically don't, But you can only get so exact with air strikes. And when you have insurgents that will hide amongst women and children, when a bomb goes off and it kills the women and children surrounding them, then everybody's gonna go on and say, well, look at all the innocence that died. Yeah, but how many bad guys did we get? Though? Like that was the that was the point of the strike. The point wasn't to hurt the innocence. Y'all hit amongst the innocence as a way to try to shield yourselves, and then you yeah s, dirty tactics. Dirty tactics. Terrorists have an issue with doing that, honestly, of all types of terrorism, to be honest with you. But anyway, I had this other video we could watch, but there's no real need to it. We're kind of covering all the basics on the hoothy situation at this time.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 1: Although before we move on to the next topic, if anybody has anything else they would like to add into the who the Israel Gaza conversation? Please now is the time? Excellent? Okay, So moving on now that we've kind of gone into a depressing vibe on this one, this one is kind of depressing if you like, are one of the super environmentalist types. Not throwing shade, I'm just saying and to people who aren't necessarily this is moronic and hilarious at the same time. This is a BBC article the Amazon forest felled to build road for climate summit. Like out loud, everybody understands how we're tarded. That sounds right, like I'm not alone reading that and just hearing the irity go off here. So, a new four lane highway cutting through tens of thousands of acres of protected Amazon rainforest is being built for the COP thirty Climate Summit in the Brazilian city of Biline. It aims to ease traffic to the city, which will host more than fifty thousand people, including world leaders, at the conference in November. Because you know, the last time Brazil hosted a big event where people from all over the world came, i e. The World Cup, everything went so swimmingly right. If anybody has not seen what happened to those stadiums or what happened to the country's economy after they blew all that money on this, I highly highly recommend he go check it out. But anyway, the state government tal it's the highways quote unquote sustainable credentials. But some locals and conservationists are outraged at the environmental impact. The Amazon plays a vital role in absorbing carbon for the world and providing biodiversity, and many say that this deforestation contradicts the very purpose of the Climate Summit. Well, yeah, you don't say, you don't fucking say, bra and I mean yeah, they say that the Amazon is like the Earth's lungs, right, it takes in all the carbon dioxide and it exhales the oxygen for all of us to breathe, and we now through whatever scientific lab studdy you want to know. Yeah, it's actually the Amazon is not the biggest producer of oxygen for the Earth. It's actually algae. Didn't know that up until recently. Algae from the sea actually does more for the oxygen content on Earth than the Amazon. But as far as the above ground above land situation, yeah, the Amazon's critical for this. Along the partially built road, lush rainforest towers on either side or of what was once there. Logs are piled high in the cleared land, which stretches more than thirteen kilometers or eight miles through the rainforest into beline. Diggers and machines carved through the forest floor, paving out wetland to surface the road, which will cut through a protected area. So not only are the cutting through the rainforest, but they're also going over like endangered wetlands and stuff. And they're just building a four lane highway straight through it all, which is gonna be great for all the wildlife, all the flora and the fauna of the rainforests. This again, it's beautiful, absolutely just genius things going on here. Claudio Veriquette lives about two hundred meters two hundred meters from where the road will be. He used to make an income from harvesting a kai berry or isie berries from the trees that once occupied the space. He says everything was destroyed, gesturing at the clearing. Our harvest has already been cut down. We no longer had that income to support our family. He says. He has received no compensation from the state government and is currently relying on savings. Yo. So not only did they take this man's livelihood, but they gave him absolutely nothing to help him along in his struggles on this one and just basically tell him to deal with it like whatever. You can't stop progress, you know what I'm slaying or whatever he says he has received. I said that he worries the construction of this road will lead to more deforestation in the future now that the area is more accessible for businesses. You know, I have to agree with him on that. Our fear is a quote here. Our fear is that one day someone will come here and say, here's some money. We need this area to build a gas station or build a warehouse, and then we'll have to leave. We were born and raised here in the community. Where are we going to go? So look, that's your guy right here. He's just been doing berry farming to support his family. Now that's just gone. His community won't be connected to the road given its walls on either side. And that's another thing. So they're not just building this road, they're building walls on either side of it. So like they're absolutely just blocking this guy in his community in just because because this Climate Summit is so important that we need to destroy a whole section of the rainforest about it. You know, Oh, go ahead, Raven, I know for a fact you have something away in on this one.
Speaker 13: Oh.
Speaker 9: I've been actually following it since it started, because it started last June is when they finally started pushing this project through. And so far they've like there's like eight hundred species that they've already impacted between like every kind of conceivable and like the thing is is that what they're doing is is they actually want to make this a tourist thing. So it's not only that it's the highway that's being built, but they're also building hotels, they're revamping the entire airport, and they're doing some stuff to be able to get cruise ships in and so like they're it's a whole it's a whole thing that's happening, and it's not just impacting just the rainforest, it's impacting everything else. But their whole model it is is like, well, it's bringing diversity in people here to help profit the locals, and it's going to bring a lot of like you know, good change and blah blah blah. And the meanwhile they're, oh, they're to accommodate the locals being upset, They're they're putting in animal crossings every so much every so many miles so that the animals somehow magically know right like they need to cross the road at that specific place. So yeah, that's that's this whole thing that's going down. They fought this for like over a decade, but I don't I can never see the name of the place where the other one was. But it's like at Baku is the location, but the I forget the country. But they had an oil and gas thing, and the last time one of the big summits was held there, they pretty much like devastated the entire area. Came and had their summit, and then they left and it like destroyed a whole bunch of land around on it. And they're like, uh, it'd be fine.
Speaker 1: I absolutely believe this the whole all right. The wildlife crossings that are built in over these roads and stuff. Look, I've seen the diagrams of how they're supposed to work, and to a human mind, that sounds genius, right, It sounds like something that clearly will work, except for the fact that animals are gonna do what animals are gonna do, and you can't train wildlife to go over certain areas, so all that's gonna do is rec shop even worse. And then I mean, they're building walls on either side of this highway, so perhaps that will keep certain animals out, but that's more of the larger animals. The Amazon has so many, the rainforest has so many types of animals. There's no way that these walls are gonna keep them all out. So now we're just gonna have this highway through the rainforest with dead animals all up and down It. Probably a lot of endangered species, let's be honest. And if they're not now, they will be soon. Time will tell. And all of that because a bunch of people from around the world want to choose a destination right to have this climate summit. That's the most ridiculous shit ever hurt in my life. And then all right, if you're doing it for the tourists to eat thing, and I could even understand that to a certain regard, but not through the rainforest. If you're gonna bring in tourism to showcase the rainforest, there's got to be a better way than building a four lane highway through it. And I mean, yeah, the cruise ships that are stopping off in Brazil, they're stopping off in Rio. You know, I don't know. I can't see this playing out positively for the the already seriously critically endangered and getting more endangered every day. Flora and fauna of the rainforest. But yeah, this is what's happening here. Like Raven said, we go on. The quote says, for us who live on the side of the highway, there will be no benefits. There will be no benefit. There will be benefits for true that will pass through. If someone gets sick and needs to go to the center for believe, we won't be able to use it. So basically, they're walling in this guy's community to make way for the highway, and they're not even gonna have access to the same medical conditions facilities that they've had for a good long while. The road leaves two disconnected areas of protected forests. Scientists are concerned it will fragment the ecosystem and disrupt movement of wildlife. And here we go, Raven was on it. Professor Silvia Sardina is a wildlife vet and researcher at the University Animal Hospital that overlooks the site of the new highway. She and her team rehabilitate wild animals with injuries predominantly caused by humans and vehicles once they release them back into the wild. Something she says will be harder if there's a highway on their doorstep. Yeah, I could imagine. So from the moment of deforestation, there is a loss. We are going to lose an area to release these animals back into the wild, the natural environment of these species. She said, land animals will no longer be able to cross the other side, to reducing areas where they can live and breed. The Brazilian President and environmental minister says this will be a historic summit because it is a cop in the Amazon and not a cop about the Amazon. Again, seems like some conflicting ideologies from my layman's perspective here. The president says the meeting will provide an opportunity to focus on the needs of the Amazon, show the forest to the world, and present what the federal government has done to protect it as they tore it down to build a highway. That's brilliant, brilliant. But Professor Sardina says that while these conversations will happen quote at a very high level among business people and government officials, those living in the Amazon are not being heard like look at this, this is like it's not like this is like just on this little outskirts section here. They have a map pulled up here. If anybody wants to see it again, come to the Cajuni on Patreon linked in the description below. They're cutting it right down the middle of it. This is ridiculous, Raven, go ahead.
Speaker 9: See you have to remember that Big Pharma's representatives are a part of the cop And what's interesting about the Amazon is there's multiple tribes within the Amazon that have properties plants that they've used for you know, a generations there that allow them to pretty much strive off any type of cancer and through if they're able to get like their foothold there, they already can buy up the plants and put patents on them and take them from these people anyways without any compensation and like take over their entire village. But it'd be easier if they had more of a foothold there. So this whole thing about like business people coming, I'm sure there are. I'm sure there is something else there that they're looking at as well, because there's lots of stuff that's been untapped that's in the Amazon. So just a weird conspiracy about it.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't believe that's an unfounded thought honestly. I mean, yeah, big Pharma is absolutely a mixture in here, but I mean so is a logging conglomerates that have been tearing down the rainforest strictly for the lumber. The farming conglomerates that what was that thing that they were doing a couple of years back, and I think they're probably still doing it. The cows, Well, they were cutting down sections of the rainforest in order to use the land for agriculture, right, But then they didn't realize because apparently no one there knows how to take a fucking soil sample, and they found out way too late that hey, the Amazon rainforest is really not good soil for agriculture. The only thing that grows well there is the jungle. And so Brazil had to go through and pay for the process of clearing and stripping the land. Then they had to pay to have the dirt dug up and removed. Then they had to pay to have good fertile top soil brought in. But because of monocropping, it's like every year or two they have to do the same process of removing the good soil that's no longer good and doing it again. So it's it has been a complete NonStop loss after loss after loss. Every time they try to do anything with the Amazon, it backfires for everyone involved, but they're still just getting after it. I don't understand it personally, but yeah, so that's Brazil for you. The state government of parah Peae, I don't know what the little apostrophe going that direction on a max I don't speak Portuguese, had tilted the idea of this highway, known as Avanda Liberdad. Yeah, as early as twenty twelve, but it had repeatedly been shelved because of environmental concerns. Now a host of it for structure projects have been resurrected or approved to prepare the city for the COP summit. Older Sylvieira Sure, the state government's infrastructure secretary, listed this highway as one of thirty projects happening in the city to prepare and modernize it so we can have a legacy for the population and more importantly serve people for the COP thirty in the best possible way. That more of one of thirty projects happening now that just instills inspiration in me here. Speaking to the BBC, he said it was a quote unquote sustainable highway and an important mobility intervention. I think that there might be a language issue here, honestly, and I'm not trying to be rude. I think that their definition of sustainable and our definition of sustainable must be very very different. There must be a weird English to Portuguese translation error here. I'm not one hundred percent but that they think sustainable, we think detrimental. I feel like we're yeah, I don't know, we're very far off here in definitions, obviously, he added, like Raven was saying earlier. He added that it would have wildlife crossings for animals to pass over bike lanes, and solar lighting, solar lighting in the Amazon. Okay. Sure. New hotels are also being built, and the port is being redeveloped so cruise ships can dock there to accommodate excess visitors. Raven, once again, you are on the money. Brazil's federal government is investing more than eighty one million dollars US and I don't is that a euro. I think it's a euro sixty two million euro to expand the airport capacity from seven to fourteen million passengers, a new five hundred thousand square meter city park. Not gonna try to pronounce that is under construction. It will include green spaces, restaurants, a sports complex, and other facilities for the public to use afterwards. Because you know what, the Isie Berry farmer that we got a quote from earlier, You know what, he really wanted green spaces and a sports complex. That's what he thought his community was lacking in his section of the rainforest. That's brilliant, oh man. Some business owners in the city's vast open air vero passo, vera peso mark excuse me, agreed that this development will bring opportunities for the city. The city as a whole is being improved and it is being repaired, and a lot of people are visiting from other places. It means I can sell more and earn more, says Dalcy Cardoza Da Silva. Jesus who runs a leather shoe stall, Well yeah, he's gonna make money. He's gonna make my orithulis he thinks. So like, I'm sorry, people are not gonna be coming to this summit to buy your shoes, bro, They're getting their shoes shipped to them from like La, from like Rodeo drive. All of the rich, swanky people that's coming to this event. Are not gonna buy leather shoes from a local shop. They're probably coming with their shoes and their luggage. I could be wrong, but sure, sure, I mean, in some way, I guess he's hopeful. He says this is necessary because when he was young, Balen was beautiful, well kept, well cared for, but it has since been abandoned and neglected with little interest from the ruling class. So this beautiful, well kept, and well cared for Amazonian city really needed a modernization facelift because the ruling class all of a sudden cares for the inhabitants. Yeah that okay, out loud. I couldn't even okay, while Ohio, oh wait, this is Portuguese, so that jay is actually like an r noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the equivalent to Juan.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. I was like, I'm like, that's got to be like a wand right. I see the India, but it's over at a Portuguese and Spanish. You would think there'd be a little more of like a left to right crossover here. They are so vastly different but also so similar in so many ways. But anyway, uh, Trinidad da Silva, how about that da Silva, who sells Amazonian herbal medicines in the market, acknowledges that all construction work can cause problems, but he felt the future impact would be worth it. Hmm. Now that's kind of to Raven's point earlier. Somebody who actually sells Amazonian herbal medicines in the local market. He's not happy about it, but he's also seeing potential dalla dolla bills out of it, so he's kind of leaning more towards it. Okay, we hope the discussions aren't just on paper and become real actions and the measures, the decisions taken really are put into practice so that the planet can breathe a little better, so that the population will uh, the population in the future will have a little cleaner air. All right, again out loud, you're hoping that the future population will breathe a little better as they are tearing down the rainforest and building through the wetlands. It seems very counterproductive to me. Again, I'm not an expert in environmental sustainability. I know some people that are, and this just sounds really stupid. This is about like when Bill Gates cut down all those trees in Oregon just to bury them to help global warming somehow, and there was never any actual scientific justification to show why he was doing this or what his plan was. Just cut down miles of trees, don't burn them, don't turn them into molts, don't turn them into lumber. Did we then need to get diesel engines to dig out holes and bury these trees in the ground because the world, the mother Earth needs it? And that's a thing that they did. Side you know here it is scrutiny is growing over whether flying thousands of them across the world and the infrastructure required to host them is undermining the cause. Yeah, I would think so, I would think so. So Okay, moving on from the Amazon Wait, I just clicked out of this, I thought, did I exit out of something else?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, Well, before we get on to the next topic here, does anybody have anything else they would like to talk about as far as the Amazonian sustainability situation? Okay, excellent, excellent, Moving on now, and Tony, I wanted to get your in, in particular your opinion on some of the things going on with Russia and Zelenski and Trump and all of all of the stuff that's going on here recently, because We have heard multiple times Putin and the Russian government say they don't want any NATO country backing Ukraine. That's that's their big thing. They want less NATO intervention. That's that's been their thing. Cool. Australia is not a NATO member. And then Australia offered to help and intermediate some of these are excuse me, intermediate mediate some of these ceasefire agreements because Russia didn't want a NATO country to be the mediator because it would send a little more of a sway in the opposite of Russia direction. And of course NATO members don't want Russia to be the mediator of these conversations. Everybody's not wanting to be on the underside of the deal. Australia offered their services and Russia basically told them that if they were to continue these types of conversations there would be grave consequences. What did Australia to piss off Putin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no idea, and I see this from the tenth but Russia must still be suspicious of Australia because they're part of the Five Eyes network with England in the UK. I'm just speculating here, but Russia just obviously does not trust Australia to be neutral enough or pro Russian enough. That's what it looks like to me.
Speaker 1: This makes sense. They are part of the British Commonwealth, So okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think Russia, Russia would trust China, Russia would trust probably a handful of other countries. But they just don't think. But no, I don't think Australia is good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no doubt. Here's the in short of it. We don't have to read the whole article. Russia told the Australia there will be grave consequences if it puts boots on the ground in Ukraine as part of a Western peacekeeping operation proposed by the UK Prime Minister. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has left open the possibility of an Australian troops joining a coalition of the willing in the war torn country to enforce any peace deal broker between Russia and Ukraine. Opposition leader Peter Dutton has rejected the idea. Now that's another thing I didn't understand. I thought that we were like on the cusp of a ceasefire agreement being made. Zelensky was playing hardball. So America had to turn off the faucet of resources and intel. Zelensky went to Europe and tried to beat the streets to get some more support over there, and then realize like, yeah, he's getting more thoughts in prayers than he's getting actual support and hardware, and so he's like, okay, hey America, I'll play ball your way. We're here. So America turned back on the faucet. Cool cool, Cool With that, Ukraine started striking Moscow. I heard something like fifty different drone attacks that happened in Moscow and like a one night ordeal. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I read that too. It was in response to Russian advances and Cursk, Russia's pretty much got cursed back. Suju was the last big city.
Speaker 1: But that's the other thing I'm hearing more about the Cursk situation. Russia and pretty much everybody else on Earth is acknowledging that the Ukrainian fighters that are there are completely surrounded and cut off right now Ukraine II, z Zelensky is saying, no, they're not. It's totally not what's happening right now. It's like, bro, hold one, look at the map. They are cut off. It's time for you to at least acknowledge either A they're gonna get slaughtered or be try to make an evacuation for them. No, dude, they're fine. They're totally still in it. And it's like brah, but yeah, yeah, So I saw the drone attacks and Moscow's got all these things on fire and these explosions and all this shit. Cool, that's how war goes. And then Trump and Putin apparently before the phone call had happened, it was time for the ball was in Putin's court. That's what we heard from all the news sources and all the stuff, and Putin kind of seems like he was getting ready to go for a ceasefire. He said he was then out right through up middle fingers and said, nope, we're not stopping until we set get what we set out for. And it's like, what did you set out for? And I guess Ukraine as a.
Speaker 2: Whole, Oh, Ukraine as a whole now probably just the entirety of the disputed regions. So they got all a Lukansk now, but Harson, Zaporojia and don Yets they only have maybe two thirds of most of those. And I've seen news of a lot more Russian strikes on the parts that they don't have, including strikes in places like Odessa, Mikliev and a few others I don't remember that are not not actually disputed. But yeah, Russia, Russia seems to have escalated, and I'm disappointed in this whole situation, but I think if we give it time, we give it another couple of weeks, things might quiet down again. The war on the Hole. In my opinion, it's been going on slightly over three years now and it is reaching its natural end, and so it'll just things take a lot longer than I'd like them too, But I think that we will have a peace agreement and it will be something. There will be a new border close to where the current front line is, if not even slightly further west of where it currently is. So we just have to give it time and eventually it'll happen. It's still taken longer than i'd like it too, but I think it'll happen in the next two months or so. Just to be arbitrary, now, what is this something here?
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you would know anything on this or not. I don't have any articles pulled up on it. I saw a report earlier, and again it's like, you really have to test the source on some of these, because I see one article saying that there is thousands of fighters from all over the world coming to join the Ukrainian Foreign Legion as we speak, like they've just got a whole new wave of recruits out of nowhere, Like that's just happening. It's like, all right, is it the.
Speaker 2: I've heard of mercenaries going there for the duration of this war, They've always been pretty few in number. I'm not surprised that there's still some people going there, some men going there who just love war and want to gain its experience, and this is the place to do it. I don't think it's going to make a hell of a lot of difference. Also, I thought about what you were telling you were saying last week, arguing about why would Russia try to take Kiyev and Butcha early on in the war, and how would that How does that because right right those are hostile regions, And I thought, well, it's a little similar to how the Battle of Gettysburg and the Civil War took place way up north in Pennsylvania, And you could argue that see that means the South was not the defense. They were more of an aggressor in that situation. But you could also say that Russia's invasion of Germany in nineteen forty five, Oh, that's not self defense. They should have just stopped right where the border started, but they just don't go that way. So I think you can't extend past the border, and it's a little harder to make a self defense argument. But these things are all kind of fluid and subjective anyway.
Speaker 1: War kind of goes like that, And I get this right one hundred percent, but now, and I'm not trying to take the side of the Confederacy here, I do think that is if you really look at it, I understand it was about states' rights, but the main encompassing thing, yes, taxation without representation was a part of it. All these things, it was more or less slavery being a pretty big maybe not the main, but at least a very major sticking point for it. The South seceeded peacefully. It was only when the North attacked them in the South then the South decided to take up arms against them. So it wasn't that case for self defense. And I'm I don't know, I agree. I could be wrong. I don't believe that Ukrainian forces attacked Russian forces to kickstart this. I could be.
Speaker 2: Wrong, Okay. My take on it is that Ukrainian forces were attacking the dun Yetsk and Lugansk People's republics, which were established but not recognized by any other country in the world. And they didn't even take up all of the current space that you would color in on the map as those places. They were kind of pressed into the eastern corner of those oblasty And the reason this happened was because Kiev thought in twenty twenty two that man, we've had enough of this civil war. We should just crush him right now. And that was why for about two weeks leading up to February twenty fourth, twenty twenty two, you just saw a build up on both sides, and you saw increasing numbers of bombs dropping on these breakaway republics, and Russia knew for sure that, yeah, Kiev's gonna win this unless we intervene, and our people are demanding we intervene. The public opinion within Russia was very very much against Ukraine before the war started, So you know, how do you how do you go against that, and Putin did go against those opinion polls back in twenty fifteen when the question was on the table to annex these breakaway republics, he said, no, you know, yeah, yeah, you're right. He did take Crimea, but he felt like the other two breakaway republics would be kicking the Western hornets nest a little too many times. So he went against the judgment of maybe sixty percent of his country to you could say, appease the West, if I'm gonna use a loaded term. And I think he was trying to get along and it was not reciprocated throughout the lifetime of the Minsk agreements. So I think he was right to do what he did in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's point one other thing that I again, I had to like test the source. And I do not know if this is a actual concern or if this was some clickbaity shit or.
Speaker 10: What allegedly Big Big italicized allegedly Russia Ai Putin is nervous that China is gonna try to invade and take Siberia.
Speaker 1: I don't know how substantiated those claims are. I do know that there is a bit of a border dispute in certain areas between China and a number of countries. I've heard that there is some border disputes between China and Russia along certain border parts, and that it's very possible that China may try to muscle their way into some less than overly populated areas of Russia. Have you heard anything in this regard.
Speaker 2: Not recently. I've only heard rumors of that from decades ago. I remember patmu Kin and talking about that decades ago, but nothing recently. No, I don't think so. In fact, Putin and Shijin Ping have had several meetings over the last few years where there's all kinds of very flowery words like our partnership is stronger than ever, we're such good friends. So maybe I kind of doubt that China would do that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They might look to, you know, buy up a bunch of forests or something. They might look to buy it. I don't think they would invade.
Speaker 1: I thought that if they were going to do that, they would go to the oil rigs right Siberia where they had that perma frost. That's where the Russian oil derek's aren't they're not.
Speaker 2: I think that's true. But then again, I think China would just try to buy it instead of do anything forceful or coercive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean that's kind of been What's one of the main things keeping the Russian economy alive is that they're buying the China is buying Russian oil. So I didn't whenever I read that report, I'm like, Okay, is Putin actually scared about a Chinese invasion or is this more like a hypothetical wargame type of situation that somebody has turned into an article. I couldn't substantiate it, So you know, you, being our resident almost Russian correspondent, I had to know if you had heard anything on your end about potential musclings of g I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, this could get into a little brief history lesson, but China and Russia were best buddies back during the early communist era and especially nineteen forty nine to nineteen fifty eight. But there was a big schism over partly a border dispute and some other crap. I don't really recall that well. Yeah, but that's why Nixon went to China in nineteen seventy two on Kissinger's advice. They drove a wedge between the Soviet Union and China, and that worked fantastically.
Speaker 1: Oh really, we just did an episode on the Cult about the lost cosmonauts, right, and one of the stories of one of these lost cosmonauts Long story short TLDR. The Russian space program had a couple of failed attempts for launch, and when these cosmonauts burned up, they pretty much just wiped the records airbrushed them out of pictures of the cosmonaut class and they're just like, what are you talking about. Look, guy, we didn't have any failed lunches whatever. And again this is during the Soviet Union time frame, big space race going on, all these things. One of these guys, Vladimir Illusian, if not mistaken, he was actually the first manned flight to orbit the Earth, but he had some sort of a malfunction and he landed in China. This is during that time, like you're saying, it was early sixties when China and Russia were kind of on the outs because they were tight. They were boys in the early days of the Soviets and the Communist Chinese Revolution, all these things up until the fifties, like you said, early sixties, they were on the outs, and China arrested this guy and kept him in a prison for over a year, thinking that he was a Russian spy. In reality, it was an accidental crash landing on Chinese soil. Then when he gets back to Russia, his entire file gets scrubbed and they call him a bull faced liar and say he was never a part of the space program. So like, it's like you said, a little bit of that history lesson. It's in that timeframe where China and Russia kind of were on the outs. Now they made up, of course, but yeah, there was a weird section there of about a decade and some change where they were not as homies as they are now for sure. I don't know. I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to throw on one more thing. There's this thing called just war theory. I'm not a fan of it. It's this big Catholic church teaching that goes back to Saint Augustine from about four hundred a d. And he said, well, war can be conducted, but it's going to abide by three principles. Number one, it should be defensive rather than aggressive. Number two, it should try to minimize civilian casualties, and number three, there has to be a decent probability of success. And the reason I think that it's useless is that everybody always thinks that their war is going to meet all three of those. It's always in self defense, and it's always going to be easy. We're going to be home by Christmas, and we're always going to avoid civilian casualties because we're the most moral army in the world. Everyone always believes that. Everyone always tends to believe that about their own group. They're a country, their nation or whatever. So yeah, I'm not a fan of it.
Speaker 1: I am a fan of old Saint Augustine slash Augustine. However people want to pronounce it. I'm not educated enough to know which way is the proper pronunciation. But he himself as a figure. Have you looked into the life of him.
Speaker 2: Didn't he start out as a pagan or his mother prayed for him a lot. Her name was Saint Helena, and he eventually became a Christian. He read Catholic or Saint Augustina Hippos it's in North Africa, and he wrote. He wrote voluminous bunch of letters and stuff.
Speaker 1: He wrote more books than Paul the Apostle, and that shit got turned into the New Testament. Augustine Augustine Webber. He was a pagan, he was big into literature, He was a part of the neo Playtonism movement at one point in time. All of these things until he found his truth and he got the you know, the grace and mercy revealed to him, and he became a diehard Christian. And with that he was so motivated that he went on to write, like I want to say, it's like forty different volumes of literature that is still studied by scholars today. As far as like what the true Church should be now, granted, he borrowed a lot of the philosophical thought processes from some of his earlier teachings and his scholarly studies from before he found Christ and all these things, but as far as a guy who was motivated for the cause and got after it for work, I mean, I at least got to get props to the boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think war time or philosophy before that, political philosophy was way more primitive and Nietzschean and saying that the powers full should rule over the week. I think that's the general feel I get from Roman and Pagan right, it's like you're more of a trying to christianize it. Sorry, what are you more of a Machiavellian type guy?
Speaker 1: I mean, there's really a little bit here. By the way, there's no wrong answers.
Speaker 2: I feel like Augustine's perspective would be really useful if it could be more scientifically done, and if there were any way to say scientifically and quantitatively which side of a war is right and which side is wrong from the outside outset, I should say, But the problem everybody brings so many assumptions to the table that we're never going to be able to do that right. So that's why it's never prevented a war. To my knowledge, it probably never will prevent a war. So we can gibber jabber about just war theory, but in my opinion, it's actually not that useful.
Speaker 1: I believe there are there is such a thing as a just war I don't believe that we've been involved with one for quite some time, if arguably ever. Like real ship the Civil War, Oh, it was a just war because it was to abolish slavery. Okay, on the surface, that one sentence completely out of context. Of course, it was a just war. When you look at the dirty underbelly of what that all entails and the other fifty other things that were the onset to that war, it's not so clear cut. The Revolutionary War, well, it was a clear war to get out of the you know, King George and all that, except for the fact that it was started by a bunch of aristocratic white dudes that didn't want to pay their taxes. And then it becomes less clear cut World War two, America getting involved with it, Yeah, we from that platitude can say that it was a just war. Keep in mind, it was going on for years before we got involved with it, and hell, before we got old with it, half of America supported Hitler. It's a whole other thing. I've seen so many pictures of protesters saying quit sending weapons to Germany for their war. Why was America and North of Grumming and all these Why were we sending weapons and munitions to the Nazis at some point in time? Why did Grandfather Bush why did he have such a crazy connection to the Nazis. And then again you look at it and it's like it's not exactly as just war clear cut as it seems on the surface, right, it's about whose history book you're reading.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't aware that we gave any munitions, but I was aware that the Sword Motor Company factories were building tanks over there, and some oil companies were even selling oil to the Germans in the war because they had a license to do so.
Speaker 1: Coverty wasn't sending weapons to Germany. Maybe he was sending support to Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you couldn't send any support unless you had a license to and some of them got the license. Here's a counterfacture to throw at you that has bugged me for years. The British government, the British you know, Crown, entertained the idea of emancipating slaves during the Revolutionary War, and I just wonder if they had done that, would everyone's moral calculus of the Did I say civil War, I met Revolutionary War? And yeah, if they had done that, would that have changed the whole moral calculus of the war. Because most of their slaves were in North America, they barely had any anywhere else. They had a few in the Caribbean, and that would have had the same a similar effect as the emancipation problem of eighteen sixty three. But I don't think most Americans would be on board with saying, oh, yeah, you know, throw George Washington under the bus because he was a slave owner. So somehow slavery's okay way back in seventeen seventy six, but then in eighteen sixty one to sixty five, now, all of a sudden, it's a moral abomination, and we have a right to, you know, conquer the people practicing it and force them to stop.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And there's a bit of a double standard.
Speaker 1: There, absolutely, And I mean there have been people to throw all of the shit at Thomas Jefferson for having bastard children with some of his slaves, right, George Washington for being a slave owner. All the founding fathers, most of them, not all, most of them were slave owners. They were the wealthy elites of the day and age. And that's kind of a thing that the wealthy elites had in their stable, if you will. It was, it was a part of it. And to that point, if Britain would have emancipated the slave population of the colonies at the time, I feel like that would have even led to a harder and faster. I could be completely wrong here, but they had abolitionists as far back as the Revolutionary War. It just was way more quiet of a talking point and the other thing, all right, I understand that America has an ugly past when it comes to the Transatlantic slave trade, not trying to underplay that or undermine that in any way, shape or form. Does everybody understand that Brazil got three times the amount of slaves from the Transatlantic slave trade that we got, like Portugal put three times the amount of enslaved human beings on a whole other continent, And somehow they get no shit, they get no shade in that regard. It's just America because we're evil, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right right, Yeah, I've noticed, but I think most people are unaware of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, you know, Brazil was a worse place to go, oh my god, Yeah, worst climate. It was mostly the men who ended up there. There were very few African women. Most of these men just went to their graves without how having children. The ones who ended up in North America were a little.
Speaker 1: Bit luckier, slightly slightly everybody.
Speaker 2: It's not saying much, right, but that's why we have something like a similar black population is what's down there now. Also another thing, Yeah, William Wilberforce was he around eighteen hundred abolishing slavery in the British Empire. And when the US went to war with England again in eighteen twelve, we were just talking about the Eleventh Commandment with boats. Yes, had something to do with the start of that. It wore eighteen twelve. But the British were trying to tell American slaves, you know, you should, you should desert and come over to our side. We'll emancipate you. And that actually attracted a fair number of them. And that's partly why I know I sound like a liberal now. But when Francis Scott Key wrote The Star Spangled Banner, he included a line that said that no grace could slight save the hireling and slave in the Land of the Free and the Home of the brain. He was talking about slaves who were deserting to go join the British.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, okay, that shouldn't be a liberal thing to say, right, But it has become that Acknowledging history means acknowledging all of it. Some of it's ugly, some of it. We Republican Democrat whatever side of it, we can all acknowledge that slavery's bad. That shouldn't be a liberal talking point.
Speaker 2: It's easy to do today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly, and I mean, ugh, like we were talking about earlier, right, a just war is that even possible? I could argue that freeing enslaved people, not just in America right now, Africa, the Mauritania, for the record, you can still own slaves. That's a country in Africa. And for the record, Sub Saharan Africans are the ones that are enslaved more than the Upper Saharan Africans as far as that country is concerned. Slavery still it's been illegal since like nineteen eighty one, nineteen eighty one, but it's not exactly illegal, it's more like frowned upon. Right now, if a country America written Chad, I don't give a fuck was to launch a war to abolish the slavery in that country, on the surface, that could be seen as a just war. But then to get involved in any type of war you almost are forced to take a Machiavellian approach to it. There's no way around that. And no, I don't mean some men are born better than others. I don't mean that as far as Machiavellian goes. What I mean by that is essentially, you can't make an amad without cracking a few eggs. And I don't mean that to the terms of how not to throw shade at Russia, but also their thought process as far as how many eggs you crack to make an omelet, I find to be absurd. Neither here nor there. That's not just a Russian tactic. That's a tactic that China has used over the years. That's a tactic that Hell America has used it. At a certain point, Nazi Germany did it with the Blitzkriek tactics. There's a certain level where you understand that you are going to sacrifice a massive amount of numbers for your side in order to accomplish the objective. And at a certain point it's like, was the objective worth it if it cost that much life in order to get And it's like in the moment it might seem that way. Decades later, somebody, some armchair historian or two to people on a podcast one day are gonna look at it from the outside and say, look, the math clearly didn't equate, why did they do this in the first place, and all this So it's like to be a leader of a nation, or even a leader of a military, not just of a certain branch, some sort of a high level general of any type or an admiral. You almost are forced to take a cold cut, machiavellion approach to things. And it's not comfortable, it's not fun, it's not good. But at what point do we decide what is a just war and what is a just cause? Because that's just a matter of perspective in most of the cases, I would think, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's normally up to the political leaders of the country to start the war, and the military brass normally considers it their professional responsibility not to be political and to just do their job of executing it as efficiently as possible and not get into the decision making morality side of it. I would say, that's pretty normal.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I do enjoy these conversations, everybody, just y'all. No, I do love Wednesday nights. All right, So all right, let's move into this article here. It's from the Associated Press, So everybody go ahead and put on those blinders to understand the stance that this article is probably gonna take here, but as this alleged two hour phone call took place between Trump and Putin, which again I was very excited to hear about, because Putin just recently threw up the middle finger and said, never mind, we ain't doing no ceasefire. We're getting after it. Then Ukraine launched these bombs b ba bah. When I heard that Trump and Putin had finally talked on the phone for a good minute, I was like, Okay, hold on, now we might get a little bit of some movement, we might get a little understanding, maybe some deals could be made. Let's see what happens here. So let's read in here. The Trump Putin phone call gave the Kremlin leader a chance to pivot away from the war in Ukraine. They talked about the fighting in Ukraine, of course, but the US and Russian presidents also chatted about improving relations between Washington and Moscow, peace in the Middle East, global security, and even hockey games. And I'm hoping I don't know which hockey games in particular they talked about. I don't know if they talked about was that the miracle on ice, the Olympic team or whatever, I hope they talked about the Bronch Street brawlers, the time that the Philadelphia Flyers put the beating of a lifetime on the Soviet hockey players, but that way back in the day. Anyway, During more than two hours, During the more than two hour chat, the longest such call between the country's leaders in years, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin covered a range of topics, and, importantly, for Putin, the conversation gave him a chance to pivot away from the war in Ukraine and engage in more broadly on global issues, drawing a line under Washington's pass efforts to cast him as an international pariah. Tuesday's phone call appeared to reflect both leader's interests in mending the US Russian ties that have plummeted to their lowest points since the Cold War amid the three year conflict in Ukraine. The Kremlin and the state controlled Russian media praised it as a long sought launch of an equal dialogue between the two nuclear superpowers. A halt in fighting, I'm sorry, a halt of fighting in Ukraine seems as distant as ever. While both the White House and the Kremlin cast of discussion as a key step towards peace in Ukraine, Putin's uncompromising demands are making a truce elusive. Seeking to cultivate warm ties with Washington, Putin accepted a halt on strikes on energy infrastructure, while avoiding the outright rejection of Trump's thirty day ceasefire. The Krilin leader leaked excuse me. The Krimlin leader linked it to a halt in Western arms supplies and a freeze on Kiev's mobilization effort, conditions that Ukraine and its allies firmly reject. Unlike Kiev, which accepted trunk ceasefire offer amid a series of battlefield setbacks, Putin appears to have little interest in a quick succession of hostilities. With Russian forces firmly holding the initiative on the battlefield, Ukraine is on the verge of completely losing its foothold in Russia's Curk region. We discussed that earlier one hundred percent, whereas forces are clinging to a sliver of land along the border after their surprise incursion in August of twenty twenty four. Russia's offensive shattered Kiev's hopes of exchanging its gains and curage for some of the territory Moscow captured elsewhere in Ukraine. Got a couple of pictures here if some of the wreckage and all these things. Putin said, Ukrainian forces that remain in Kursk are surrounded, a claim echoed by Trump, even though Kiev denies its soldiers are encircled again. You can only deny that for so long, dude. It's only going to be a matter of time before they're gonna have to either a throw up the white flag or b gets slaughtered. Ukrainian officials fear that Russia could try to attack the nearby Sumi region that borders Kirsk. At the same time, the Russian army is pressing offenses in several sectors of the Dunesque region in eastern Ukraine. By making the ceasefire conditions on a freeze of arms supplies to Ukraine and its mobilization effort, Putin is trying to cement Russia's gains and force Kiev to cave into Moscow's demands. He wants Ukraine to withdraw its forces from the four regions that Russia illegally annexed but never fully captured, renounce its bid to join NATO and radically trim its military Putin's acceptance of a halt on strikes on Ukraine's energy facilities has allowed Trump to claim at least partial success for his peacemaking effort. But the move wasn't a major secession, a concession by Moscow given the massive damage to Ukraine's power grid from years of attacks. Discussion between the two superpowers, and I don't like how they put quote unquote on two superpowers. I would argue there's only one superpower on that phone call, but whatever. While seeking to expand its military gains in the Ukraine to dictate peace terms, Putin also used the call to shift the discussion away from the ceasefire to other global issues he appeared to win Trump's interest. The White House says it it's readout of the call that the leaders spoke broadly about the Middle East as a region of potential cooperation to prevent future conflicts, discussed the need to stop proliferation of strategic weapons, and agreed that a future with an improved bilateral relationship between the United States and Russia has a huge up side. I think that goes without saying here. I mean, everybody getting along is just better for business. And again, what is Trump if not a businessman? This includes enormous economic deals and geopolitical stability when peace has been achieved, it said the US Special Envoy Steve Whitkoff, who flew to Moscow last week to meet with Putin, praised both leaders and offered optimism the Kremlin was moving towards a broader truce. I would commend President Putin for all he did today on that call to move his country close to a final peace deal, Witkoff told Fox News, and I would give all the credit to President Trump. I can't overstate how compelling he was on this call. Okay, of course he's going to be slobbing on that nob at least a little bit. It's kind of his job, I get it. H Kremlin spokesperson Dmitri Peskoff underline that Putin and Trump understand each other well, trust each other, and intend to move gradually toward normalization of Russia US relations. Russian State TV and other krimlin Can controlled media hailed the call as a move towards broad cooperation between Moscow and Washington. The pro Kremlin tabloid One more Time, Pravda, Thank God, you're here, Tony. I swear to Jesus That tabloid noted that normalization of relations between two nuclear powers superpowers was on the agenda, and state news agency Ria Novisti Novosti Yeah pointed at the evolving partners relations between the US and Russia. This format is in line with a new vision of a multipolar world that is apparently shared by both the White House and the Kremlin, it said uh Tasiana Stanovaya Yeah of the Carnegie Endowment said quote, the most significant outcome was the implicit acceptance of US Russian cooperation on key international and bilateral issues. She added that this marks an obvious victory for Putin, who seeks to decouple bilateral relations from the Ukrainian War. I okay, I guess it's her job to kind of slob on Putin's novel a little bit here. So okay, obviously a decent, amicable phone call between Trump and Putin. Trump's guy is gonna be he was so compelling. Meanwhile, Putin's chick is all like, this is obviously a victory for Putin. Again, we got we gotta make sure we're keeping all of the sources on the up and up here. The ongoing detoxification of Russia continues, she said in commentary, even noting an agreement on Putin's proposal to organize hockey matches between Russian and American players. First of all, I am here for that. That would be great. But also maybe I'm just being a little extra on that one, because we just watched the Canadian American hockey games take place, and that will is a full on brawl that happened to have a puck getting slapped around from time to time, and I love the combat of it all. So a Russia America hockey match I wouldn't want much hockey to get played, honestly, and it's not because like I'm over here, like oh fuck the comerce right, no no, no, no, no no no. But also hockey has fist fighting within it, and I think that that would be a rip snort in good time to watch. I could be wrong, I don't know. Now Ukraine and Europe take a backseat. Ukrainian President vladimir's Alensky responded to the Putin Trump call by warning that quote trying to negotiate without Ukraine, in my view, will not be productive. Okay, dude, you bro you literally just tried to hold a NATO summit without America to further your own ends and realize how empty of a promise everybody else could give you. Now you're upset that you weren't involved in a three way call. What are we talking about here? Is Alenski? Stop it? Trump called Zelensky for about an hour Wednesday and said on a social media post that the conversation was to align both Russia and Ukraine in terms of their requests and needs the creation of the US and Russian working groups to ponder ceasefire specifics and a possible deal to ensuring on ensuring the safe shipping Indie Black Sea that was mentioned in the Kremlin readout of the Trump Putin call marked yet another move towards discussing the fate of Ukraine in its absence, upending the Biden administration's policy of nothing about Ukraine without Ukraine again. I you know, I get, I understand why one of the main players in this situation would like to be involved in every conversation about the situation. I get that. However, let's not forget. Was it not even two weeks ago that he showed his ass in the Oval Office when he was completely included in the conver So at a certain point, you know what, the grownups have to have a conversation without the children butting in every few seconds. I know that's just me. Maybe I'm just a little jaded towards it. I don't know. The conversation didn't bring good news either to either Kiev or Europe, who saw themselves clearly ignored, said Fyodor Lukyanov, a Moscow based political analyst familiar with the Kremlins, thinking two great powers are discussing the settlement while paying little attention to others. Yeah, stany Jova, Yeah, butchered that one. Note that Putin has shifted discussion away from the ceasefire while giving little in return. This is very bad news for Ukraine, which is increasingly being treated as a bargaining chip in this game, she said, Which has that not been what it's been the entire time of this quote unquote special military operation. It's all been a bargaining chip. The land itself has been a bargaining ship. I didn't. I kind of thought I was understood at this point, But okay. Nigel Gould Davies, a senior fellow for Russia and Eurasia at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, deplored Trump's affinity or sympathy toward Putin and his reluctance to significantly punish or constrain Russia, which allows the Kremlin leader to stick to his strategy to grind down Ukraine militarily and outlast the West politically. Russia wants to decide the fate of Ukraine and ultimately of Europe, with the United States alone, with no other negotiating partner. He said, I can't think of another period in my lifetime when diplomacy has been so upended in such a brief space of time, he said, noting the closest example was in the nineteen eighties when Gorbachev was the leader of the Soviet Union. While it took Gorbachev four years to abandon long standing Soviet commitments in Eastern Europe, Gould Davy said, it has taken four weeks for the United States to call into question fundamental, long standing commitments to Europe. Well, okay, fair enough, wild times, y'all, wild times. And so you know what, before we get into this, the protests against the arrest of istanbul Mayer and all these things here from the euro news about what's going on there. Does anybody have anything else they would like to add in on the Ukraine Russia situation, the phone call between Putin and Trump, or Putin and Zelenski, or any of these things.
Speaker 2: Well, as me again as usual, I think, really it seems like a stretch. But my imagination is that even the Russian American or Russian European, Russian NATO schism largely revolves around Israel because the Soviet Union was they voted to recognize Israel in the very beginning, but after that their relations went sour pretty quickly, and Russia supported Syria and Egypt and all of Israel's enemies for a long time, and they're still doing it. In terms of being a strategic ally ever run Syria is off the table now though, yeahcuse since December Russia was a very staunch assad ally but they're off the table now.
Speaker 1: Russia's got their two Mediterranean bases in Syria, so yeah, they were gonna keep a sodden power as long as they could, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as far as I know, they still have those bases. And I heard there were.
Speaker 13: Some some some massacres, some murders going on in Syria a week or two ago, and a lot of the people who were victims of it and their families, their people, they were fleeing to the Russian bases for production.
Speaker 1: That also makes sense to me because while certain countries may have opinions about Russia and what they do and what they are, yeah, yeah, fine, fine, fine, in Syria, I'm pretty sure, And yes, it's a very fractured nation right now, there's like thirteen different regions that all claim that their guy is the guy over the whole country and all these things. Whatever, I'm pretty sure it's understood. Don't kick the bear like realistically, Yeah, those bases are there, and the areas around those bases can be contested. Those bases are still owned by Russia, and I'm pretty sure everyone understands. Let's not question that they're doing Russian shit on that side of that fence, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like Guantanamo Bay. Yes, Fidel Castro, don't touch Guantanamo Bay. That is the third rail.
Speaker 1: That's it, you know, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Their version of that. Anyway, I opened up a tab on this Turkish guy. But you want to say something else about Russia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to ask you this now. So, like you said, Russia backed Israel in the early days of it all, right.
Speaker 2: Then they voted for recognition in nineteen forty seven or forty eight.
Speaker 1: Right, and then they started siding with the Arab neighbors. Now, do you believe that this is because they had a change of heart to words Israel or is it because the lines are getting drawn in the Cold War and they were trying to do business with every state that they could. And since the West and the capitalist nations had nothing positive to say about the Arab nations, they they were seen as pariah states, quote unquote, So Russia had no other options but to get more aligned with them, I e Iran. Therefore, they did turn their back on Israel, and it was more of a business move more than a ethics move.
Speaker 2: It was definitely a geopolitical gamble they took because a lot of the early founders of Israel were very socialists in their overall ideology and in the structures of the kibbutz's, And I guess the Soviets believed that Israel would become a Soviet aligned country, but it was I'll give them potential it ended up in the American orbit, and then you know, NATO orbit eventually pretty solidly. As for the rest of the region, I don't know what kind of connection Russia had with them before, but Russia had always been an enemy of Turkey, and Turkey was just chomping at the bit to join NATO as early as they could in nineteen fifty two. But pretty much the rest of the Arab world was kind of enemies with Turkey. So that could be one reason that the Russians or the Soviets got along with with the Arabs. It's kind of similar to how the Arabs got along pretty well with the Germans during World War Two. Yeah, Israel obviously, you know, in the Nazeiason, Jews were the most bitter enemies you can imagine, and the Arabs were more on the German side to their kind of everlasting shame in terms of history since then, because as far as America is concerned, being the Nazi is like the worst thing. So if you're aligned with them, if you're Japanese or Hungarian or Arab or whatever, you know, you can't align with the Nazis. That's unforgivable.
Speaker 1: Oddly enough, they were more aligned with the Nazis against the Ashka Nazi Jews in particular the Spartans. The Arab nations hid them. They were homies with the Spartaks that lived in their areas. That's That's another weird thing that I want to do more of a history dive on that, because the Sparkan Jews and Muslims they're cool, like they're not. They're not best they were it means, but well, yeah, I guess they were. They probably have had some schisms in the past few decades, but for the vast majority of time they got along just fine. They you know, they lived in the same areas. You know, they went to different schools to learn different things. But as far as they they kind of all got along as neighbors would do. You know. It was there the Nazis, the Yeah, there were a hard problem against.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were enormous Jewish pop populations in Iraq and Syria and Jordan and Egypt, and yeah, they were all driven out in the fifties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it did happen. And then, like you said earlier, everybody Turkey was super wanting to get involved with NATO in the beginning. They were rushing to the opportunity, and literally since they've been a member of NATO, they had been the resident bastard child that everybody was forced to deal with that nobody wanted to deal with. But because of how unstable all of this Middle East is, it's nice to have a NATO ally in the area quote unquote italicize ally with that statement. But Turkey being at least a NATO member, it was kind of seen that maybe they could be useful at some point. And then more often than not, it's like they fall in and out of favor of all of other NATO countries and they have the entire time, I can't think of one time for like five years collectively wherever was like, you know what, Turkey ain't mad. They they are good people over there, you know. I kind of like Turkey. It's like they'll go like six month increments of being cool and then being assholes, and they bounce back and forth. It's ridiculous. But that being the case, that kind of leads us to this next article. As a matter of fact, this one's from your own news. This says thousands protests against arrests of istanbul Mayer seen as Key erged erged again.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know why the G is pronounced that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know what that uh what that literary device is called over the G that makes it a y noise. But okay, to one sure. His rival authorities close off roads and implemented a four day demonstration band in an effort to prevent protests following ekrum Yep the rest.
Speaker 2: Im Moglu I think, or imamlu.
Speaker 1: Imamlu Ima Moyulu. Yeah, the mayor, the mayor, they arrested him. Protests are happening, and they just put a ban on the protest for four days. Thousands of protesters took to the street of Istanbul on Thursday following the arrest of the city's mayor, the opposition figure is seen as a key rival to the president. Several roads have been closed, some social media platforms were restricted, and a four day demonstration ban was put in place in an attempt to thwart protests. However, despite the band, many gathered outside Istanbul's police headquarters, the city hall, and outside the headquarters of the mayor's Republican People's Party office. How about that. Wow, Okay, this is a direct quote here. He said. This is not democracy, It's a sham of democracy. The people do not deserve this, and we are upset. Of course, as humans, we are upset. Rio police blocked off roads leading to the Vatan Security Department where the mayor was taken following his arrests. The mayor is a popular opposition leader and the main rival to the President of Turkey. A total of one hundred people, including the mayor and several prominent figures, were arrested. I have a weird feeling that they're not going to survive much longer now they're in custody. I could be wrong. The mayor and his aides are suspected of alleged corruption, including extortion and fraud, as well as aiding in the Kurdistan Workers Party. Oh no, here we go now, I understand why the President of Turkey hates this guy. If he's even slightly friendly to the Kurds. This makes sense. The PKK is an outlawed party classified as a terrorist organization by the Ankara, Washington, and other Turkish allies. The mayor's arrest comes amid a wider crackdown on opposition figures, which has been criticized as a politically motivated in an attempt to silence dissent descent. A day earlier, istan Bull University revoked the mayor's bachelor degree, a requisite for running in elections under Turkish law. You know something, I kind of like that, to run for a local office, you have to have some sort of higher education and you have to hold a bachelor's degree. I like that personally. I like that. Now, granted, I think it should also have some sort of distinction on what type of bachelor's degree. If you have a bachelor's in like underwater basket weaving, I don't think that that means that you should be able to run. But you know, there are things, they're stuff. But basically, the college that he got the bachelor's degree from revoked it, so now he can't even hold office under Turkish law. Now that's petty. Speaking at news conferences on Wednesday, the leader Republican People's Party, Osgar Ozel, sure mirror the criticism. He claimed Irdawin has had experienced significant losses in local elections last year, targeted the mayor as he feared losing him, alluding to him in the ballots. Ozel also accused authorities of a coup attempt. They can do any evil we are. We are ready for any evil they can do, because it is clear that the issue is not a political struggle, but a matter of existence or non existence for the country, he added. Turkey's Justice minner Yamas tunk Tunk Sure counted the allegations and reminded that the courts operate independently. Characterizing investigations carried out by an impartial and independent judiciary as something like a coup or using similar terms is extremely dangerous and incorrect, Tounk said. The Justice Minister emphasized that the judiciary does not take instructions from anyone. Linking investigations and cases initiated by the judiciary to our president is at best presumptuous and inappropriate. The separation of powers between the legislative, executive and judiciary is essential in our country, he concluded. On Tuesday, the European Commission President Ursula vonder Lean Vonderleyan I feel like I've heard that name before, express deep concern over the mayor's arrest and reminded Turkey of its obligation to uphold democratic values. Turkey is an EU candidate country. Turkey must uphold the democratic values, especially the rights of the elected officials. She told reporters in Brussels. We want Turkey to remain anchored to Europe. But this requires a clear commitment to democratic norms and practices, and is and is key that Turkey respects these fundamental principles. She added, Okay, so essentially Turkey's got some wild stuff going on with it right now. That's very interesting. Uh, Okay, I didn't know that they'd gone to having riots in the streets and having the main opposition leader to Erdwin arrested. Now that's that's another level. Now. I also didn't know that the main opposition leader to Earth was allying himself to the Kurds. Like that's an understood. Everyone hates the Kurds. Which I wish that Kurdistan would become a country as much as I think Israel should be a country, and that should be a thing. The Kurds need place to call their home. Otherwise they're just gonna keep getting genocided by all the other Arabs. We can't have that, you know. But then it's like where are they're gonna go? Who's gonna give up the land? Dah bah bah bets yeah, all the stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, So, session movements are not really popular with the governments that don't want them to happen.
Speaker 1: Right, I want to.
Speaker 2: Talk a little bit about the history the CHP, the Republican People's Party, which I just looked up and I'm not an expert on this, but this is the party of Mustapha Kamal out of Turk who listeners may know as the founder of modern Turkey, who replaced the Ottoman Empire. And this party has been exist in existence we're all but a couple years in the eighties ever since then, but they're a minority party now and Air Dowan's party is the biggest one. I don't know the name of it. I don't speak Turkish, but this Republican People's Party, Okay, Air Dowon's party is more like the Republicans. They're more right wing, they're more religious, and they've gotten a big boost in the last few decades because the eastern part of the country is more religious and has a higher birth rate. The western half has Istanbul and Ankara, and kind of like in America, the big cities tend to be more liberal, and the big cities are more in favor of this Republican People's Party. And if I can read just off of Wikipedia. The ideological and political positions please of the CHP. It says they numerous politicians have espoused LGBT rights and the feminist movement in Turkey, just as you know, kind of indicator of where they are. They spouse social democracy in Kamalism Kamal refers to Mustafa Kamal out of Turk from back in the nineteen twenties. And they are softer on the Kurdish question and something having to do with Cyprus that I don't know a hell of a lot about. In terms of their foreign policy, they are very They waffle a lot, kind of like Arawan. They'll say pro Israel stuff sometimes but anti Israel stuff other times. Chairman uz Uzel accused Israel of committing state sanctioned terrorism on Palestinian people, declaring the Turkish left is never far from the Palestinian cause. But he also said that the October seventh attack against Israel constitutes quote an act of terrorism end quote. As far as other Turkish foreign policy, the CHP supported Turkish intervention in Libya, and it has voted against intervention in Iraq since twenty twenty one. Since twenty twenty three, it has also voted against inter mentioned in Syria. It has a big border with Syria, and people might not that Turkey has kept a lot of those HTS fighters safe in id Lib until they took over in December twenty twenty four. And I don't know what it means that the CHP it has voted against intervention in Syria. Does that mean it's more pro ASOD or it was because Asad was still in power in twenty twenty three. But most importantly, I would say the party is pro European and supports Turkish membership to the European Union. They also supported Turkish membership in NATO. The party voted overwhelmingly in favor of Finland and Sweden's accession into NATO, and Arado I was kind of against that because Sweden and Finland had pro PKK pro Kurdish things to say until they took a more pro Airedwan stance on that, but that was a sticking point. Turkey almost prevented Finland and Sweden from joining NATO in twenty twenty three. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember hearing about that as a matter of fact, and I thought, and I didn't know the in the inner workings of that deal, but I remember that it pretty much unanimously has to be voted yes for a new country to join NATO, and Turkey was withholding. Now, some people were saying that that was because Erduwan had some sort of like under the table alliance to Russia into Putin, and so it was kind of like he was waiting to see if Putin was going to he was waiting to see if the money would be wired. And that's not correct, that's a euphemism, but whatever the case was, he was trying to like muscle for position or try to get in the better graces of Putin. And then he gave him the thumbs up, so it's like, okay, so he was just withholding to be a dick. Then we hear that no, they had Kurdish leanings for those countries. Those countries are on the opposite side of the continent. They can have whatever opinions they want. What about that, That's ridiculous, But one is doing his his thing, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one and the Turkish government in general, they try to play down the middle between European interests and Russian interests. They don't want to gravitate too far in either one of those directions. So even if their government gets replaced by this new guy, I don't think their foreign policy is going to change much. But to one I would predict he manages to hold onto power, because he did in twenty seventeen, they'll probably hold on again. There's one more section here in Wikipedia. It says the CHP draws its support from professional, middle class, secular and liberally religious voters, so more liberal. It's kind of like the Democrats a Turkey to Airdwan's right wing Republicans, just to draw a very rough analogy to American politics. And they're I don't know, he might win, but I would still bet the Arewana is gonna be president a week from now.
Speaker 1: Oh I would. I would think so, seeing as how his main opposition just got arrested. M h yeah, I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at maps of Turkey. It's all in the west, where he's got to support, and the coastline, but then the rest of Turkey is all the yellow color, which is Aredwan's party, and then the east is this other color, which is the Kurdish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I said, of people that inhabit Turkey, it's like a third of the country all on the eastern side the southeastern I should say, and it's very Kurdish, uh. I don't want to say dominant, but per population numbers, Yeah, the Kurds definitely. And that's their area. I mean, if you look take away country's lines for two seconds, take away borders north Syria, southeast or yeah, yeah, so northeast Syria, southeast Turkey, north west Iraq and that section of azerby John right there, that whole set is like the Kurds, if you want to call it their hereditary land. It's not like they have some sort of a promised land situation like the Jews did to Israel. It's nothing to that regard, but that is where they have primarily been located for a very very long time. So that is where the potential for a Kurdistan could happen. Now with Syria being so fractured, there is a section of it that is calling itself a makeshift Kurdistan. But it's not like the Kurds of Turkey are lining up to go there right now because the country is a little bit of upheaval and they are safer in Turkey even though they are ostracized, and well, I don't want to say subjugated, but like, for instance, it's illegal for them to speak Kurdish in the schools there. Erdawan made it illegal for them to even do most of their Kurdish practices for a good bit there. So they are absolutely under the thumb of the you know, country that they currently reside in. But they're still safer there than if they were to try to go out to Syria and carve out a section in the world for themselves right now, and they know that. I don't know how many Kurds are still currently living in Iraq. I think Saddam kind of did a lot of damage with the genocide that he did with the Sayer and gas bombs that America sold him to the Kurds at that point in time. So I mean, I don't know if I'm not mistaken. In Azerbaijohn, there's a very small Kurdish population, but they they they don't really cause any fuss over there. The Kurds are mining their p's and q's there because they're not trying to rock the boat. So yeah, this makes sense. But again, if a political opponent to the current standard, the guy that's been in charge for as long as he's been in charge, is spitting some pro Kurdish rhetoric. I have a feeling the vast majority of Turkey doesn't want to up, you know, upset the status quo that they've been living in for so long. So I'm bummed that he got arrested. I wish it would have been a fair and valid election. But then even still, let's say that, like the NATO chick said, or the EU chick said, you know, if you're gonna be a part of the EU, you have to uphold democracy. And if he doesn't, what are you gonna do. You're gonna kick him out of the EU, you kick him out of NATO. No, No, they're not gonna do They're not gonna do shit. So if anything Irdawin's probably just making them called or bluff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think democracy tends to be in the eye of the beholder. There's no country out there that's perfectly democratic, and I don't think any country should be perfectly democratic. Democracy is one of only several ways to organize any organization, government or not. There's democracy, there's only garchy, and there's monarchy. And all our favorite companies are monarchies. They get run from the top down. There's a hierarchy. Democracy is approp for sometimes but not all the time. And a good well functioning society knows how to make some decisions democratic and others decisions. Not every society will draw that line somewhere so absolutely like you're representatives, but you can't amend the constitution easily, or that's got to go through you know, several other layers.
Speaker 1: And then even if you do per the letter of the law, that's not going to change the culture in the mindset of the inhabitants of that area or the employees of that company, if you will. Like there's it takes time, it takes change, and it takes just sometimes an overhaul is needed, agreed. I just don't really think the Turkey's about to get that overhaul. I could be so wrong here, and these these riots in the streets might grow, just like they're growing in Serbia right now. Who knows what will happen. I just have a sneaking suspicion because Turkey is way more of a they're way more structured as a nation than Serbia. In Romania and Ukraine, right it's they've got more of a long standing tradition of a status quo that is maintained not so much in these other countries. So I just I don't know. I don't believe that Erdwin's in any risk of losing his job by any means, at least not this go round. Who knows what the future holds. I think his position is pretty secure at the moment, though a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people are talking about what does this mean for Israel, and I don't think it will mean any difference. Erdwan has been kind of middle of the road. There's, of course some Islamists in Turkey who want to cut off all trade with Israel, and Erdawan has cut off some but not all. And I think that this other guy would do very similar things. I think the general attitude about Israel in a place like Egypt and Jordan is a lot scarier. Yeah, is a lot worse, but those the governments of those countries receive a lot of usaid and they're kind of sewn up. So Egypt and Jordan are not going to make any moves against Israel because their governments are they're relatively pro Israel, much more than their populations are. There's millions of members of the Islamic brother or what Muslim brotherhood in Jordan and in Egypt. I'm pretty sure I think it started in Egypt. Yeah, but those governments, and I think Israel is kind of afraid what if there's another you know, Arab spring in Egypt, like there was. I guess that would have been twenty thirteen. It would have been later than twenty eleven, but that was when Mohammed Morsey got into power. He only lasted a little while and he was cooed out of there. Mohammed Morsey would have been bad news for Israel, and they're probably right to be afraid of another one.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with that, but yeah, the whole thought of like this whole situation in Turkey, what does that mean for Israel? I personally am with you on this. I don't think it's going to actually have any effect on what's going down with Israel or Gaza or anything like that. Turkey has enough of their own problems to deal with, and they're trying to appease all their European quote unquote brethren. They are not about to start taking a hard stance pro or against Israel. If anything, They're just gonna take as much of a neutrality stance as they can. Yeah, I don't think it's gonna play in anything here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's another kind of long term cultural thing. But I get the sense Turks, like Persians, kind of look down on Arabs, So they're not super pro arab even though they're up. They're Muslim, they're all Muslim, they got that in common, but ethnically they still kind of look down on them a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Turkey and Iran, with their Persian backgrounds and their Zoroastrian backgrounds, when they went hard Islamic, they left a lot of their I'm talking ancient, long standing, proud culture by the wayside. But even still, it's like when you say the term Turk or sorry Persian, you are talking about the Turks, you are also talking about the Iranian.
Speaker 2: Well, well, the Turks they were Byzantine before, and the Persians were Iranian. But then I think the Cellucids or the Seljuks invaded Turkey from Central Asia and they changed the identity of the place again. But you know, it wasn't Persian. But I get the sense of the Persians and the Turks both looked down on Arabs because they both well, especially the Ottomans, they dominated Arabia for so long and then the Arabians fought back and seceded, and well, they just looked down on them as, Oh, they're less educated, they're more violent than we are. We're more civilized than they are. That's the overall mindset that I kind of gather from them.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think culturally there's that looking down their nose at their neighbors. For that, it's it's racism by any other standpoint, but because it's Persian versus Arab or Turk versus Arab, I guess it's it's viewed differently even though it's another version of racism, and that's that's like a long standing cultural feud. You're one hundred percent correct on that. I don't know who knows how things are gonna shake out, as we always do. You know, we will be talking about it as things play out. We do have a couple more things that you know, we're just not gonna get to tonight. Royce. I do appreciate you sending the Goblin in Mexico thing. Let's put a pin in that one and we'll talk about that next week because that's pretty crazy. Or send it to the Cult Conspiracy Live on Tuesday, because that also I feel like Jonathan, we get a kick out of that one as well.
Speaker 14: That's harder to do because there's so many more people there and just so much more crazy.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's fair, all right. Well, I will try to do what I can to pull that, and I saved it on my computer, so I'm gonna do a little digging into that, and hell, that might even become a cult conspiracy episode. To be honest with you, I haven't heard anything about it until tonight, but we'll see how it goes. Man.
Speaker 14: I mean I only said it honestly because so first of all, I'm huge into cryptids, and because you guys did an episode about cryptids not too long ago, I was like, ooh.
Speaker 1: This would kind of be cool, absolutely, man, and I appreciate you sending it, all right. So with that being said, I appreciate everybody for coming out on this evening and doing this live conversation about all the comings and goings of the world we live in today. Again, for anybody listening to this later on that would like to be a part of the conversation next week, go to the show notes here. Go to Cajun Night on Patreon. Join us. We do this every Wednesday night at nine pm Central. We only go for a couple of hours. We talk about any and all things. There's nothing really off limits, but we do try to stick more to the geopolitical and the religious and the just overarching sometimes military, sometimes cryptids. Sometimes there's no rules here. There's no rules here. We're just going off onto whatever comes up first. And so again, thank you everybody for joining, and thank you everybody for listening. I am the Cajun Night and uh yeah, God bless
Speaker 8: H