Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio app, which like you Jeopardy question today. Yeah, of all days, today's the day name.
Speaker 1: One of the three astronauts that burned up in Apollo one.
Speaker 2: Just kidding, just kidding. That was an inside joke. A colorful category for four hundred dollars. Colorful.
Speaker 1: The indigenous indigenous indigenous, excuse me?
Speaker 2: Take three?
Speaker 1: The indigenous people of this vast island call themselves.
Speaker 2: This is what I was anticipating.
Speaker 1: Kalal colcalt klalates.
Speaker 3: Can you show me the without showing me the back of it? Can you show me the front? Yes? Helalt people this fast island call themselves kalaliit, kalaliit, fast island.
Speaker 1: Fastst islandast island, an island?
Speaker 2: Got is vast? Oh? Perhaps greenland?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: That was the was in the answer or the clue is in the topic category?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Light winds, increasing humidity, even a chance of rain forecast to bring some help to the firefighters in Malibu. As of right now, the Franklin fires of over four thousand acres still only about seven percent containment and some evacuation orders are still in effect. Still do not have a cause of that fire.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp watch. Swamp is horrible. The government doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Man make It's like a reality TV show, bad news.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey Joe, a town.
Speaker 3: All too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 2: A watch of mawarkeeoy said, drained the swamp. I said, oh, that's so. You know the thing.
Speaker 1: So Trump has invited Hjin Ping to his inauguration. He is invited the leader of China, Shijin Pig to the party.
Speaker 2: Yes, we always take the meeting.
Speaker 1: Was a spokesperson that went on Fox and Friends, Caroline Levitt, who will serve as his press secretary in the new administration, and she said, this is then example of President Trump creating an open dialogue with leaders of countries that are not just our allies, but our adversaries, our competitors as well. She said, we saw this in the first term. He got a lot of criticism for it, but it led to peace around the world.
Speaker 2: Okay, does he take that, take us up on the invitation.
Speaker 1: We do not know if he's accepted the invitation to be determined, I believe is the latest.
Speaker 3: All right, there's a big deal in Washington, d C. Today with President Biden commuting nearly fifteen hundred sentences in what is the largest single day grant of clemency in the history of the United States. Those individuals whose sentences will be commuted would be placed on home confinement I should say, were placed on home confinement during COVID, and according to the White House, they have all successfully reintegrated with their families and their communities. You remember, COVID, of course, was particularly rampant through prisons because of just the way they're set up, for gosh sakes. Among those who received clemency people who would have received a lighter sentence if they had been charged under the current laws and practices, which is common. The decision to grant this mass clemency comes after the backlash of Biden pardoning, of course, his son, after he'd previously said he would not. About thirty nine people were actually pardoned as a result of all of this. So a bunch of names, the names have finally been released. I don't recognize any of them, I don't think, but the chance that some of these are related to friends or some other connection to the president.
Speaker 2: That's usually how this happens.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the powers of the presidency that has been used by just about everybody who's ever held the office.
Speaker 1: Just to get the details of this Kimberly Gilfoyle report. Of course, she is the latest Trump nominee to be ambassador to Grease following his son running around on her with some sort of socialite in Florida. Kimberly Gilfoyle says she's honored to be the choice to be ambassador to Greece, but her former sexual misconduct claims are resurfacing that she's got this baggage. According to political observers, she was accused as when she was hosted Fox News for You having a young woman over at her apartment while her direct while she was her direct supervisor, and that Kimberly Gilfoyle would appe walking around naked all the time, that Gilfoyle showed this young woman photographs of the genitals of men whom she had had sex with, that she spoke incessantly and luridly about her sex life, told this assistant she should sleep with wealthy and powerful men and submit to a Fox employees demands for sexual favors.
Speaker 2: Apparently Guilfoyle.
Speaker 3: Again, this is all coming from the lawsuit, but the woman said that Guilfoyle tried to buy her silence. The woman was eventually paid an undisclosed amount of money by Fox, upwards of four million dollars at least according to one of the lawyers who may have had information about it. Gilfoyle has denied any of these sexual misconduct allegations, both right after she left Fox News and in a statement to New Yorker a few years later. She said, in my thirty year career working for the DA's office in San Francisco, the lada's office, in media, and in politics, I'd never engaged in any workplace misconduct of any kind, says. I've served as a mentor to countless women, with many of whom I remain exceptionally close to this day. Okay that listen, Ambassador to Greece is not one of those positions that I'm necessarily concerned about. I wouldn't other than wanting it well, I would love to have, you know, people of good character and clean backgrounds but apparently those are few and far between in this world these days.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, coming up next, no pay for an eighty hour work week. People are signing up to be a doge employee for no pay. We'll tell you who some of these people are when we return.
Speaker 5: Hey, Garyan Channon Julie five foot seven, one hundred and forty five pounds on a good day. Anyways, my kids refuse to watch Tombstone with me because I repeat every line during the movie. They get really pissed off and it's I'm your Huckleberry. I hate it when people say, Hucklebert, it's so stupid. You sound stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are really about that.
Speaker 3: We used to watch it on repeat when we would sit and play poker in someone's garage, and it would just I mean, we would constantly spit out the lines in between hands. No, we knew what was coming up, and we'd was that before or after the pillow fight?
Speaker 2: What pillow fight? Isn't that?
Speaker 1: What happens at poker parties is that I don't know what kind of poker you're playing. I was just making a joke because you always say that women get together and have pillow fights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's a lot more that at least shows up in top culture more so than a poker culture.
Speaker 2: Sure what from nineteen seventy seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, I've never seen any movie where a poker game dissolves into a pillow.
Speaker 1: I'm getting angry. Why are you yelling? What emotions are you feeling right now?
Speaker 2: Anger? Ask me the second one more anger.
Speaker 1: I have a good story in the next hour, because I know how much you like feel good news.
Speaker 2: You like to feel the cockles of your heart be warmed. Yes, usually from from dairy. Sometimes when I have my cockles get hot. No, you're supposed to say warm, not hot. Hot. Cockles don't get hot. That's a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Anyway, It's a nice story involving the nutcracker because it's nutcracker season. Okay, don't make the low hanging fruit joke. I beget about the cockles exactly so low.
Speaker 3: Internationally, Israel is saying that it's military is going to stay in some of the Syrian territory that it has seized and until a new force is established that meets its security demands in the area. Prime Minister Benjamin net Yahu said that Israel will not permit Jihati groups to fill the power vacuum in Syria and threatened Israeli communities. He said that Israeli soldiers would only deploy in Syrian territory temporarily, but didn't give any clear timeline for their departure. In a few minutes sometime soon, we're going to get into this story about this American who is found in Syria. There are a lot of questions I have about people who do things like this. Yeah, the world is not generally open just for you to walk around in. The rest of the world does not operate like the border between Colorado and Wyoming. That that's not how it goes. And this guy got caught up in this thing.
Speaker 1: You don't just go to Syria, Okay, It's not like going to Spain even that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to be documented to go into Spain. You got to tell the government of Spain when you're going to be leaving Spain. I mean, though, this is and people who take advantage of that or none, no wrong word. People who don't acknowledge that end up getting in trouble. And this guy got in a lot of trouble and very lucky that this I guess you'd call it a revolution. You're very lucky it happened when it did, because you'd be stuck in a Syrian prison forever.
Speaker 1: I'll roll the dice in Spain. I would not roll the dice in Syria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I like that. They seem like a harsher people.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so we told you about Elon Musk and Vivek and their new initiative to get people to join them work eighty hours a week for free and whittle down the government, the bloated government, right, getting rid of government waste. One of the people that assigned up for the job is a woman named Sarah Armstrong. She is fifty five years old. She's a certified public accountant from Pennsylvania. She's worked in finance and operations for more than thirty years. She says she's ready to leave her job as a VP of Ops for a company that makes electrical equipment to volunteer for a doge. She says, I think this is such a unique way to serve the country, and more importantly, the people. Entrepreneurs, cryptocurrency consultants, real estate professor professionals, software developers, insurance executives are all trying to land a position with DOGE.
Speaker 3: But what's in it for them outside of a feeling of service.
Speaker 1: Well, let us be honest, these are probably independently wealthy people at this point.
Speaker 2: They don't need the paycheck.
Speaker 1: They've made a bunch of money in their careers and they want to make maybe a difference. Maybe they find this rewarding work in getting rid of government bloat.
Speaker 3: So to that end, Courtney Gerten He says he's willing to put his career on hold to help volunteer for DOGE because a company he co founded was acquired last year. Now, usually that means somebody got a huge paycheck, and that may be to your point of this guy has the ability and the time to take a pause in his employment, not like the rest of us who could just say, you know, I'm going to take eighteen months off and solve the world's bureaucracy problems. The DOGE team would provide advice to the White House Office of Management and Budget for the incoming Trump administration. At least that's the way that Elon and Vivek have been explaining it to House and Senate members this week. They are going to be hurdles, of course, the federal government spends more than six trillion annually. Some of the biggest expenses would be off limits when it comes to cuts. And one of the things that they have said is this isn't just about going in and redlining some of the budget items that exist. It is shutting down entire portions of agencies that are redundant. It's not even necessarily getting pulling money away or withholding money from agencies. It's cutting entire departments, or cutting plans or cutting these regulations that require money.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about this. I'm excited to see it get going. I mean, yes, it does suck for people who work in the federal government and them being worried about their job and their job security. I get that, But you can't look at this monster and not say it's not bloated.
Speaker 3: Well, and what is the what is the teeth? What teeth do they have? That I think is going to be the more interesting thing is what power can they actually wield? Right now, it's the flashy new thing in DC, and everybody wants to Everybody wants to jump on board this thing because it is a although it should have been done a long time ago. It's this great new idea about how to cut down on government bloat. And we've seen before when stories are done about the bridge to nowhere or someone's pork project that they end up putting into a bill that should never be connected to the topic of the bill, but nothing ever comes of it. You know, people in Congress talk about it all the time, but nothing ever material.
Speaker 1: Cutting down on the pork that's right, Yeah, yeah, we'll see. But if there's two people that know how to get things done, these are got Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you see the Elon Musk story that he's now worth over four hundred billion dollars According to Bloomberg, His nearly twenty billion dollar jump in wealth was a deal that shot up the rocket company SpaceX's evaluation to about three hundred and fifty billion. SpaceX and its investors agreed to purchase as much as one point twenty five billion of insider shares. The other thing came out of DC Today, an independent watchdog group uncovered zero evidence that there were any federal agents involved in inciting the January sixth assault on the US capital. This came from the Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz found no evidence that there were any undercover employees present among the thousands of Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol that day, even among the crowds of Trump supporters who attended protests around d C in different parts of DC throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Trump says he wants the American worker to be invested in the economy. He told CNBC Today, he wants the American worker to wake up and love to go to work for a lot of money. He made these comments while bringing the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange, first time for him. There on Wall Street, he discussed what he learned during his first stint at president. Said he didn't know a lot of people then, but now he has, in his words, people coming out of his ears.
Speaker 2: That's odd, NodD place, that's odd.
Speaker 3: Mysterious drones that have been reported flying over parts in New Jersey in recent weeks appear to avoid detection by traditional wreck methods like helicopter and radio. That's at least according to a state lawmaker who was briefed yesterday by the Department of Homeland Security. In a post on social media, assembly Woman Dawn Fantasia described the drones as up to six feet in diameter, sometimes traveling with their lights switched off. That's illegal. The devices do not appear to be flown by hobbyists, she wrote. White House had a news conference just a short time ago, and John Kirby, who was a spokesperson for the National Security Agency, suggested that these may be manned aerial vehicles, so someone may be flying them. More reason why people are going to start taking shots at these things if the government can't figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: And indictment could soon come against the guy charged with murdering the CEO from United Healthcare. ABC News reporting that the Manhattan DA's office started presenting evidence to a grand jury and hoping to secure that murder indictment against Luigi Mangioni. Now you've got some faction of people saying that he is a hero for taking this guy out. There's another faction of people who are saying that they've pinned it on the wrong guy because of a difference in his eyebrows, that these are not all the same person. I'm going back to my original conspiracy theory and now realizing how crazy I sound from time to time. So it's a wild, wild pond to dip your toe into online with people and their theories about Luigi Mangioni.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it proves, well, it doesn't prove. It is a weird explanation. No, it's another symptom perhaps of our divided nature.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a mashup too of conspiracy theorists who don't trust the government and people who have been screwed over by the healthcare industry, and they're coming together and it's concentric circles of just weirdness out there.
Speaker 3: We for a couple of weeks now been following what's going on in Syria. Obviously, Bashar Assad was thrown out of power made his way to Russia after rebels basically coming from the northern part of the country made their way all the way to Damascus and were able to kick Bashar Assad out. Despite the fact that he's got Russia and Iran on his team, they really couldn't do much about it. Of the side stories is the prisons. The political prisoners who had been imprisoned in Syria are being let out, many of them not having been seen for months or years in some cases, and their families not even knowing whether or not they were alive. Well, here's a guy, a guy from Missouri. Apparently Travis Timmerman, an American believed to have gone missing from Budapest, Hungary, earlier this year. He explains to a reporter from CBS that he decided to travel from Lebanon to Syria and was on the border between Lebanon and Syria for a few days.
Speaker 2: Without water or food.
Speaker 3: Not just Syrian border official or cop found him. You can't do that. They put you in prison there.
Speaker 1: It was the hardest part of being dumb.
Speaker 2: There wasn't a hard part dumbass.
Speaker 3: It wasn't too bad, It wasn't bad, it wasn't bad beaten. The only really bad part was that I couldn't go to the bathroom when I wanted to.
Speaker 2: I was only let out.
Speaker 3: Three times a day to go to the bathroom, So that was quite the hardship.
Speaker 2: It probably let him out because they were tired of his dumb ass.
Speaker 1: He was apparently on a Christian pilgrimage to Damascus. People like this can just stay, go missing and stay. If you're going to be that stupid to go into Syria without any sort of.
Speaker 2: Plan and you know they detain you, then that's what that's that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: His uncle, Richard, a great uncle, I should say, said he was shocked to hear that Travis had been found in Syria.
Speaker 2: The last he knew of Travis, he was working in Chicago.
Speaker 3: The family had been looking for him, but no one's been able to find anything about him because he's been stuck in a Syrian prison for a couple of months. He's very responsible. He's not a criminal kind of person. No, no, no, no, he's just as The expectation is not that he's a criminal, is that he didn't think that through.
Speaker 2: If you're called by God to go to Damascus, maybe.
Speaker 3: You ask God a couple more follow up questions in your prayer time, something like, well, how how.
Speaker 2: Do I get to Damascus?
Speaker 1: I think you're trying to ascribe logic to a Q and A with the Lord our father, right, I mean, you usually don't question God.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that you don't do what he tells you to do. I'm just saying, if you are hearing the voice of God tell you to go to Damascus, maybe you ask some follow ups like I would love to do your work. Are there ways that I might be able to protect myself?
Speaker 2: Do you know about the original Santa from the Bible.
Speaker 1: From the Bible, Yeah, no, Okay, there was an actual bishop who lived in Turkey during the Roman Empire. His name was Saint Nicholas of Myra, lived from two seventy to three forty three. His gift giving began when he provided money for three impoverished girls who needed a dowry to escape a life of penury and pain. That means extreme poverty. He provided the money during the night so that the gift would be anonymous. His habit of secret gift giving is a source behind the current present day Santa Saint Nick or center clause.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 1: Center clause cinter Klaus, Yeah, center claus. He exemplified the love of God by blessing those in need throughout his life. Jesus was born, sorry, Jesus was born into poverty so that we can experience the riches of heaven one day. The takeaway is is that Saint Nick put faith into act, and so should we not just during Christmas, but throughout the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a question, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was this Saint Nick in the Bible or he just lived in a time that was.
Speaker 2: Because you said biblical?
Speaker 5: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So probably not, because the Roman Empire happened after the Bible caught you, right, you caught me what I am reading from a book that is excerpts of the Bible. Here's here's the Bible verse that goes along with the story. It's from John one, dear children, let us not love with words or speech, but with actions and in truth.
Speaker 3: Okay, boom, as prescribed by John Saint Nick.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't say that. No, it's just the Bible verse.
Speaker 1: It goes along with the nice story about the first Santa as opposed to the modern day Santa.
Speaker 2: Okay. And where does Crampis come in?
Speaker 1: Crampis is not related to the Bible or Santa. That's somewhere so lost. That's somewhere up in northern Europe. Okay, I see what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Retinal. You ever try to anti age your shins?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: I do have a retinal lo body lotion. I've been using retinal in my face for don't say it.
Speaker 2: It's a really long time.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you're super overcharged for these products. And like the best one I've found, because I've tried a bunch of them, is like ten bucks at the CVS.
Speaker 2: That's often. How yeah, right of how it works.
Speaker 1: My husband swears by putting preparation h on his face.
Speaker 3: I've heard of that. Never done it. I've heard that that's it's just a tightener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. Let me tell you about your skin.
Speaker 3: Retinal. I've seen I've seen the word all over the place. My wife has retinal.
Speaker 2: You don't put anything on your skin? Oh, thank you? You just yes, This glow is natural. You don't put face lotion on or anything?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Because I what do you want me to do? I don't know what people want from I don't know what. Listen, if it was good enough for my grandpa, it's probably good enough.
Speaker 1: Okay, But things that technology, lotion technology, men's lotion technology.
Speaker 3: I was progressed if I was super concerned about my skin, which I'm not, because I don't work outside all day. Guys who do that should probably put on sunscreen all the time. That's true, and have to be more aware of it.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that it just might feel nice in the morning after you wash your face or shaved, to put.
Speaker 2: On some lotion. It feels fine when I shave. After my shave, it feels fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just think that's such a funny thing that there's an expectation that people that that, and we did.
Speaker 2: We talked about this one thing.
Speaker 3: Or whatever it was, and guys were like, you got to put stuff on your face. I don't have to, And I'm okay, not right, you.
Speaker 2: Just I just you know, you might might.
Speaker 3: Like it, right, and then I'll look like Channing Tatum in that movie.
Speaker 2: It's not go for the Moon. Just a little moisturizer once in a while.
Speaker 3: Do you has have you ever looked at my face? Yes, since you get to look at every day.
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, he could use a little bit of retin sometimes. No, not retinal. You don't need oisturizer. I would.
Speaker 1: I just like, I just think moisturizer is good. My husband uses like a vino or something like something not fu fu at all.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know, just I just never have known anyone that didn't put anything on their face, Like my dad would put stuff on his face, like after.
Speaker 2: Sha, that's more of a cologne than this ringing. I don't even know what it does. It's supposed to tighten up your pores or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't use that as either you just raw dog that that face with your with your soap.
Speaker 3: The thing I put on soap, yeah, and shaving cream or sunscreen if I'm out in the sun. But that I mean, that doesn't It hasn't happened for weeks months. Retinol is vitamin A. It's a fat soluble vitamin and the vitamin A family found.
Speaker 1: Any food angry vitamin A Jacob, do you put stuff on your face since you're the other man here?
Speaker 2: Just lotion? Lotion?
Speaker 3: But see that's a thing that's yeah, Now it's retinal is supposed to you. Is supposed to reduce wrinkles and other effects of skin aging.
Speaker 1: It does work, but just don't get fooled because the beauty industry is such a racket, isn't it. Try to think that you're trying to get you to think if you're paying more, it's a better product. Retinal kind of works the same in everything, so you know, you you can get it more concentrated or what have you, but you shouldn't be paying more than twenty bucks for it.
Speaker 2: I have a retinyl tip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so retnee is really expensive if you get that as a prescription, but you can get the generic version called retinoen.
Speaker 2: I think it's called no tretonoen something like that.
Speaker 4: It's ten bucks and it is a prescription, but you can ask your dermatologist say, hey, instead of retine, and it's basically it's retine, it's the active ingredient, ingredient of retine, and it's tretonoen.
Speaker 2: So that's a good tip.
Speaker 1: My favorite retinyl product you can get it at Target for about twenty bucks. It's the roc retinyl anti aging retinal face sarum.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: I've seen that and it works. Man, I've tried. I'm like, I got that years ago and I'm like, this works pretty well. And then I thought, well, if the one from CBS works well, I'll try the other ones. They must be even better. And then I was the idiot that was overpaying for the same product that I could have gotten along at the CBS.
Speaker 2: Does it have to I've gone back to it several times.
Speaker 3: Does it have to be applied to the skin or can you get it through your diet?
Speaker 2: No, it has to be applied to the skin because.
Speaker 3: You can get vitamin A from foods. It's not just vitamin A.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just yes.
Speaker 3: But see, now you're selling me on this, and I'm not sure I need to be. You don't need like a wrinkle cream. You don't have wrinkles, So then why am I putting stuff on my face.
Speaker 1: It's moisturizer that I'm that I'm recommending, not retinal, just a simple lotion.
Speaker 3: Retinoids are found naturally in foods, but foods that come from animals, sorry, Debra. Cod liver oil, butter liver from beef, pork, chicken, turkey, whatever. Eggs and cheese and milk are all sources of the retinoids that can be found in that vitamin A.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't get me wrong, You're luminous, glowy. Would you say glowy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think if you want the glow, you need to put the lotion on your face.
Speaker 3: It puts the lotion on its body, but it gets the hoses.
Speaker 1: So retinal now is it's it's exploding, right, So they're they're they're doing body lotions and everything. And the whole point of the article was do you really need to put retinal on your shins? Well, it wouldn't hurt, which I would say, there is probably just trying to overcharge you for lotion.
Speaker 3: You can you can od on it too well anything.
Speaker 1: Basically it does make the skin I think thinner or something like that. So if you exfoliate, then you're freaking slathering on retinal.
Speaker 2: That's probably not a great move.
Speaker 3: Retinal is often used to reduce the risk of complications in measles patients.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I didn't know that. I didn't know that either. Look at you learned so many things.
Speaker 2: Here you know what I have some I have some moisturizer right here.
Speaker 1: It's brand new and you should. You could put on your face. I haven't even opened it yet.
Speaker 2: Do you know where you can put it?
Speaker 3: You missed any part of our show, you can always go back and listen to the podcast. Just go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon search for the podcast, or on the iHeartRadio. I just typing, Gary, Oh you're where else you find your wife? Podcast? Texted me and she said you're beautiful just the way you are. That's not what she wrote.
Speaker 2: That is not I saw that one coming.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,