Speaker 1: We're Turbulerin, dude, and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club hellicit and is welcome back to another edition of the BKMC, a supplemental edition of the Pop Style Opinion Pest podcast where we take a look at one film per week and dissect it and hope to get a discussion started on it. This week's well, thanks for interrupting. This week's film is Practical Magic nineteen ninety eight's Practical Magic, directed by Griffin Dunn and starring Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock and a bunch of other people and a bunch of other people. I'm not an IMTV list anyway.
Speaker 2: So a couple of things.
Speaker 1: One is that I don't know what Lorenzo's going to say today, although I think it's going to be somewhat negative.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: And second thing, I just wanted to talk about why we picked this film and what my reaction to it. Okay, so with the BKMC, we explain this. We probably over explain this if you listen to this every week, but we try to pick a range of films across genres, across decades, and we try to pick a mix of films that we have seen many times, as well as films we maybe saw once and don't remember, and films that we've never seen at all, because there's a different reaction for each one, and it's interesting to unpack these things. So Practical Magic is a film I have seen many times. I cannot remember the last time I saw it, but as it was unfolding, I was like, yeah, I remember exactly how this ends. Actually, I remember everything about the story.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I had never seen it before.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, Oh that's crazy. See I didn't know that. How have I seen it many times?
Speaker 2: And you've never seen? No, that can't be right? And the dark and a closet by yourself. No, I have never I've never seen this movie with you. I have never seen the movie. When did I see it? That I done knew before you met me? No, I mean we were together when this movie came out. Anyway, I knew the scene where they're all drinking and dancing, right, but I had no idea where from.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, I had no idea. You didn't see this film, so that.
Speaker 2: Scene is very famous. I knew about the scene, but it had no Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my whole thing with a film like this and it was similar when we chose like Memento or Marie Antoinette or other films where I sat there unpacking my reaction to what I thought I remembered about the film, as well as how different the film looks in twenty twenty six. So when you're looking at a film in nineteen ninety eight film, and this isn't true of all films from nineteen ninety eight, but we are in a moment culturally where romanticy and which stories are very very very very popular, right, And so it's interesting to die to look at a film like this that sort of predates this current trend. You made a disparaging comment the other night when you watched it, where you said it's very Hallmark movie.
Speaker 2: Do you want to unpack that? Well, here's the thing. It's interesting because I'm thinking about the movie and I'm like, Wow, I would never watch this movie now if it came out. It's not my thing. But I can see myself watching it because back then, in the eighties nineties, you watched a movie because of the actors too, right, right, So I would have definitely watched it back then. I don't know why I didn't. I think you might have seen that if I don't remember anything about it. So I didn't remember anything about it. Anyway, I would have watched it because of Nicole Kidman. I'm not very crazy about Sarah what's her name against Sandra bo Bullet, I'm not very crazy about her. But anyway, Nicole Kidman, I would watch it because of her. So that's my point. It's interesting because I think at least i'm you know, I can only speak for myself. Back then, I would watch anything depending on the actors, you know, like, because that's how it went. I don't know. Today, I'm more picky about what I watch because I guess I don't know. You have TV at home, you have computer, you know, there are the ways of watching movies, and so I would I would say no to that now. In fact, I don't even know if I'm watching the Practical Magika too well, I have to say, and we can unpack that in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I have some.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say fear because I really don't feel very strongly about it either way, but I suspect that the sequel is not going to be very good, just based on some decisions that they have made for it. Oh, the Well, the big one is and I just read this. Aiden Quinn is not in the sequel. Oh, and he said this just this week. He said, I would have done it in a second, but nobody asked me. He's adorable, like he's aged.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: I just looked him up this morning. He's sixty eight and he looks sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Well, they all age. The difference is that he shows and they don't.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just my point is he's sixty eight and he looks sixty eight. Sandra Bullock is sixty two and she looks forty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a reason.
Speaker 1: They're casting Lee Pace, who's fifteen years younger than her. As I guess he's her love interest.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But you know what, we're not gonna talk about that. We're gonna talk about nineteen ninety eight film. So, like I said, I kept sitting through it and thinking you said rather disparagingly that it was a it was very Hallmark movie. And I was thinking about that as I was watching it, because Lorenzo watched it one night and then I watched it the next night. I feel so bad when we say stuff like that, because people must think our marriage is so and now now we are joined at the hip on everything. We work together all day long. So actually things like watching movies and watching TV, that's usually our alone time.
Speaker 2: And let me explain. We have three TVs and Tom likes to watch things on his.
Speaker 1: Computer sometimes because I have you know, I'm partially deaf.
Speaker 2: I still enjoy watching things on TV, so I like to just sit and watch on our biggest TVs. But so that's why sometimes you we watch a lot of stuff together. But you may you make a very good point. We work together. We do everything together.
Speaker 1: So sometimes sometimes we just at night we just want to be just like get away from me. Anyway, So he said it looked like a Hallmark film, and so then I started watching it, and I thought that was both accurate and a little unfair.
Speaker 2: It is accurate, but the.
Speaker 1: I mean, the one thing one of the things I was struck with with this film was esthetic. Oh my god, there is such a strong aesthetic with this film, very much in that Nancy Meyer's rom com mode, which was established in the eighties and the nineties, so it didn't invent that sort of ultra cozy, cozy cozy aesthetic that the film is practically dripping with But it's very much in that mode and that mode that Nancy Meyer's Practical Magic kind of cozy romance mode. It actually created the Hallmark channel aesthetic as we know it. So when you're looking at Practical Magic and you're thinking, well, this looks like a Hallmark movie, it predates Hallmark movies by about ten years. And you can make the argument that a lot of what we see in Hallmark movies, a lot of that cozy sort of sweater and falling leaves and cups of tea and that sort of thing very much, very much present in this film.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it, but it's not my thing and it's too sugary to me in the sense that everything is perfect, and they play into every stereotype of of people enjoying themselves and have fun, like like there's a lot of music in the movie. Yeah, and there's a lot of music like in the car and dancing and it's all that stuff. Drinking. Oh no, people are dancing and listening to music. Oh, it's just like you're the hard thing about letting your hair down and dancing around the you know, the dining room table and drinking and the do do do do do. It's cute, but it's not. It's I don't know, but it's not what finished that. It's cute, but it I don't think it's movie material. It felt every now and then it felt like an MTV video, like a musical video. I don't know. It's just yeah, I'm not kidding that. It just felt a little too I don't know, and substantial. It didn't feel like a movie every now and then it felt like I'm not watching at all, like watching like just just I don't know. It felt like that's why.
Speaker 1: They didn't feel like a TV show to me. So I don't I don't really get that. But whatever, you know, you're letto.
Speaker 2: But it's it's interesting. I thought it could have been a little more interesting in terms of darker.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, I listen. I don't want to give the impression that I think this film is perfect, because I don't. I do think it's extremely enjoyable time, and ninety nine percent of that comes down to Sondra and Nicole. I'm like you, I actually love Sondra Bullock. I think she's a lot of fun to watch. I think she's perfect in this movie. I think she's also gorgeous in this.
Speaker 2: Well, they're both beautiful.
Speaker 1: They're both a couple of times, you know, not to get into ageism or anything, but a couple of times like, holy shit, they were both so gorgeous back then.
Speaker 2: That's what I like. The club, the bit of kid in a club and watching these old movies that you go back and ate. You get to watch actors that you don't see anymore. Yeah, they kind of disappear Quinn, Yes, or they or people you love very very young, yeah, or you forget that some people are in certain movies and like, oh my god, I forgot you. That's why early in the movie I was like, oh wow, they.
Speaker 1: Are both beautiful, so stunning in this movie.
Speaker 2: At the costume to make sure to show that there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh no, I like Sondra Bullock. I What I think is interesting is how I remember thinking this back in the day whenever I did see it, and I actually still feel this way. I almost feel like the casting is is wrong, Like Sondra should have been playing the sexy bad girl and n Cole should have been playing the good girl with the children who's.
Speaker 2: Just looking for love. It's not really in.
Speaker 1: I mean n Cole does play bad girls. That's it's not that she hasn't played bad girls, but she's fine in this role. It just feels like she's she's trying to make the role happen for her. And I keep thinking every time, I'm like, I think Sandra Bullock would have been more fun as the sexy, irresponsible sister, and the Cole would have made more sense as the I don't want to say, repressed the sister who's looking for love whatever. And I remember also thinking back in the day, I was like, I have a hard time buying these two.
Speaker 2: His sisters, just about saying that, Oh, they're supposed to be sister's sisters, like yet, No, no, they are little sisters. No they're not. They sorry, And that is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's possible for two women in the same family to look like that, but they they really don't look like.
Speaker 2: Oh it is possible. They kill men left and right, so maybe they're two different fathers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, all right, let's take a short break because I actually do want to get back and talk about what you just brought up about them killing men, and we'll be right back. We're back talking about practical magic and one of the other things I wanted to address, for to Lorenzo's unfair critique about this being a Hallmark movie esque is that it is esthetically very much in that mode. But then you watch the movie and you're like, well, okay, there's two deaths in the first twenty minutes, one of which is a little violent. There's domestic abuse, there's a murder, and then there's an exorcism.
Speaker 2: Right, so all done very lightly. Well, that's just it.
Speaker 1: They can't handle the ships. And one of the critiques I have of this film is, first off, it relies too much on the fact that its leads are gorgeous and incredibly charming. So the director is Griffin Dune, and it's very clear that he's like, well, I've got two amazing movie stars on my hand, let's just shoot them and we'll just make the film about that. But then you have to do these tonal ships where you know she's getting you know, Nicole Kimmon's getting beat up, or they're killing a man, or they're burying a body, or there there's an exorcism happening and there's this evil spirit that's trying to kill.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It doesn't handle those juxtapositions very well, and part of that comes down to you're right, the film is too sugary at times and needs to be a little bit darker.
Speaker 2: I mean kill men, right, and and and that is just like, oh, you know, I want to I want to feel loved, so they don't men. Oh come on, if you know that if you're dating someone, it would be like you knowing that if you dated men, you'd kill them. And then now it's if you fall in love with him, Well there you go.
Speaker 1: Nicole Kidman doesn't fall in love with the men that she dates, so none of them are in any danger. And Sondra Bullock, and this wasn't the film mister pay attention, spent her life denying the whole witch thing and denying the family curse. So she wasn't killing men. She just didn't believe that it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: I know. But they all go through the same thing that we don't see, I mean, even the older generation and all that. It would be interesting if they had had a third character, you know, a third sister, and she was lesbian. That would be fun. No, I don't think so, yeah, I mean I don't. I think that muddies the waters. The story is trying to tell it would be hysterical that one doesn't have to worry about men.
Speaker 1: The well now because I think it really comes pardon me, it really comes down to love, not the gender of the person involved. And that actually brings me to my next point. There were a couple times watching this film where I was like, Wow, you can tell him man directed this, because the sequel is directed by a woman. And I just feel like any in this day and age, any romanticies about witches and falling in love, any storyline, would almost certainly be directed by a woman. And I don't mean that in a reductive sense, but I feel like Griffin Dunn very talented director. First off, for instance, there's a very subtle sort of judgment against Nicole Kimmens's character in the film. So there's one sister who's the good sister who wants babies and husbands, and then there's the other sister who's the bad sister who likes sex and bad boyfriend and doesn't want to get married, and the film punishes her for two hours. And I feel like a female director would have handled that a little bit more, would have actually made it about the man and not about Nicole Kimmen's bad decisions would have made it about shitty men and not women making bad decisions, which is kind of what this film does. And that's what I mean about a female perspective would have helped. Similarly, there's only one scene I absolutely hate in the film. It's when all the towns women come with their brooms and they have the little coven again. There's just an implied sort of mocking going on. Look at these silly women in their sweater sets, showing up with dustbusters and giggling, And I think a female director would have leaned way into the whole coven aspect, the sisterhood aspect, the womanhood aspect of that scene, instead of making fun of a bunch of housewives with Karen hare Cuts. That scene actually pissed me off. I was like, this whole movie builds to this moment of sisterhood, and you're kind of mocking them and making them look silly.
Speaker 2: Not only that it implies that they're only joining them because they're going to get rid of a man again. Well, I mean, I don't mind that.
Speaker 1: I mean I think there is a point there, like these women were prejudiced and they feared right the Owen sisters and everything. But when women hear that a woman's in trouble because of a man, they.
Speaker 2: Will all come running. And again that's probably a little reductive, but I didn't mind that's that aspect of it.
Speaker 1: I actually liked that aspect of it. It's just that when they got there, they made them all look kind of silly, right, anything else?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: I think I've covered most of what I I said to Lorenzo at the start of before we even flipped on the mics, I was like, this isn't going to be a long, in depth conversation because this is not a heavy, deep film. It is a very pleasant film. I love it, loved watching it.
Speaker 2: I agree it's a door horrible every now and then, and very pleasant. It's it's sweet. It's sweet.
Speaker 1: And we haven't even mentioned Diane Weed since Soccer Channing, which in my memory of this film, I thought they were in it way more, but they're actually not in it that much. They're only in it for like a half hour.
Speaker 2: I adore this.
Speaker 1: They're both fantastic and one subtle bit of costuming in the film is, if you pay attention, all of their clothes are about one hundred years old. Oh right, they're wearing clothes from like the early late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds, and the implication there is that they're very old.
Speaker 2: They're very old, and that actually.
Speaker 1: Gets into I think my final sort of critique of the film is, and again I think the sequel will probably be very different in this sense, is that there wasn't enough magic. They were very you know, circumspect about showing anything too, like so you saw a tea spoon and she blows on a candle and you know, they fly off the roop. They don't even show them flying off the root, right, And again I think a female director would have wanted more show more demonstrations of their power. They are powerful. That is the part of the point of the story is that they are powerful, and you are not showing them as powerful at any time during the film. They're all like bumbling, you know. So I would have liked that.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I think those tonal changes would have worked better. Like when that goes evil spirit suddenly comes out of her body, I'm like, Okay, this is weird. This is just weird. It doesn't feel like any other part of the film. But if you had actually done more magic on camera. If you had shown them to be a little bit more powerful then the I think those shifts might have worked a little better.
Speaker 1: But I agree with your point is it's an interesting story that should have sort of dispensed with the romance aspect and gone a little darker.
Speaker 2: With a little darker, I mean the fact that the last man, you know, the one sent a bulk is dating. I forget the character's name. Oh so everything, it's fine, and she's dating now and then the movie ends, Okay, so we know he's gonna be dead, right, No, they broke the curse.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, they brought that whole I was saying, yeah, the coven thing. They said that they broke the curse. So but of course Aiden Quinn's not in the sequel, so I guess they didn't break the carr.
Speaker 2: I know that. That's my point. Not everything is clear, and and it's just done very quickly and they move on to something else. I agree, it's not a very substantial film now. I mean, I wish we were a little dark every now and then they have they wish they had done something bad for the town, you know that side a little more, Yeah, cynical a little more, but I guess. But obviously that wasn't the goal. Oh no, that wasn't what the movie was trying to achieve. It was this sweet story about these gorgeous ladies with power and you know, and love love, love, love love, which is whatever.
Speaker 1: And one final thing is I have to laugh because again the difference is between nineteen ninety eight and twenty twenty six. Now, don't get me wrong, Aiden Quinn is very very cute in this movie, but.
Speaker 2: He it was a mess.
Speaker 1: His hair was a mess, his clothes were a mess, none of his clothes fitting correctly. And I'm like, I bet you that guy doesn't have abs. And who's the guy in the sequel? Lee Pace of course? And that's that's my point, is that twenty eight years ago, the lead guy in a romance movie didn't have to be, you know, physically flawed.
Speaker 2: So they're still playing the same characters like all these years later.
Speaker 1: Have you Oh okay, wow, you really sat down not knowing anything about what.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking we were talking about. I'm talking about the new movie. Yeah, it's a sequel. I know it's a sequel, but I haven't read too much about it, and I didn't think it had anything to do with the first one. I'm just I thought it was a different story or a different thing anyway. I mean, I know they're playing the Owen sisters that much, and I know they have cast Joey King and Mayzie Williams is the daughter, which is adorable. They're great.
Speaker 1: Daughter should be a lot older than Joey King and Mazie. I mean, I don't know Evan Rachel Wood plays the one daughter in the original film. Did you know that the red girl saving Rachel would And I don't know. She's about thirty five thirty six now, so yeah, they should be a little bit older anyway, that doesn't matter. It was an enjoyable two hours. I actually was happy to watch this after last week's entry Blue Moon, which was kind of frustrating and depressing. This was just fun and light and I'm looking at two stunningly gorgeous women basically at the height of their movie stardom.
Speaker 2: Right now. I was that's not a bad time. I was watching the movie at the same time, I was thinking, wow, I understand why this movie was so popular and we.
Speaker 1: Didn't know it was a flop. Really, Yes, that's the other thing. It's so large in the culture. Everyone remembers the blender scene and the blowing on the candle and everything. You mentioned these iconic scenes and I went and looked it up. It was a flop. It didn't make back its production budget, and the critics didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Wow. Interesting, So it's.
Speaker 1: One of those films that has just gained power generationally. It's one of those things where I think young gen X and older millennial women they just look at that film as Yeah, that was something I watched a million times when I was thirteen years old or whatever, and it's stuck in their minds as But it was not popular at the time.
Speaker 2: See because I that's all they talk about on TikTok and social media and everything. You know, they can't wait to see the sequel. And I was like, wow, So that's why I thought it was so popular back down, because I was like, all right, this exploded. But I guess it exploded later, yeah, not when they launched it.
Speaker 1: I don't have a lot of I don't have thoughts either way. I mean, like the Devil Wears product too. I was like, all right, this needs to be good. If it's not going to be good, I'm gonna be pissed this. I don't have a lot of thoughts on whether and I'm certainly not going to go see it in the theater, but I suspect it's not.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like I said, the twenty twenty sixth version of this nineteen ninety eight film would have been a very different movie, and I suspect that's what we're going to get, which we're going to get way more magic, right, It's going to be sexier, you know, And we'll see. I love I still love Nicole and Sondra, but there is a difference watching them now where they can't really move their faces all that much as opposed to in nineteen ninety eight when they were these beautifully young women.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll review it when it comes out or at it OPENKMC in a year, whatever, But I'm not like panting waiting for this film to come out, much as I love these two actresses, and I do think the original is very pleasant.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I'm probably not. I like, Yeah, I said as sugary, I said, hiss, Hallmark kind of movie, and yeah, I stand by what I said. But I also thought it was sweet lovely and of the time you can so. I mean so I burst out laughing when Faith Hills this kiss started wow, because I was like, oh my god, that.
Speaker 1: Is such a cliche. But this is probably where the cliche started. Yeah, it's so nineties and that's fine. Did you know the house was completely fake? They built a shell, really and they put fake silk blossoms on all the trees around the hell Like, when you see that the shots of that house and everything, that's what I mean about aesthetic. It looks like a Thomas Kincaid painting. I mean it is so overly pretty.
Speaker 2: I mean the leaves blowing. I was like, wow, yeah, I know, there's so much brown around it. It's cute.
Speaker 1: It's very cute, and it's I had no problem watching this again. But like I said, I'm not breathlessly waiting for the puck for the sequel, all right, should that is.
Speaker 2: That all we have to say? All right, Lovely. I didn't hate it. It was something I was like, I have to watch. No, I enjoyed it, yeah, but it was like, wow, this is really really really.
Speaker 1: I'm really interested in seeing what some of the kittens think about how the film has aged, whether it would be done differently now and what you think the sequel is going to be like, So please come to our site and weigh in. We'll be back next week with some other film that I forgot to look up before we recorded this and it's listed on our site, but I'm sure it's a fantastic selection, and we'll also be back next week with another edition of the Pop Style Opinion Best Podcasts. So until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it, Bye bye bye by